PDA

View Full Version : SSG BATTLE OF THE MACHINES Semi-Finals - Fight 2!!!

Tycho
07-25-2002, 09:52 PM
It's almost all over and and exactly one ship or vehicle will get to claim the Championship Title as the Ultimate, Best Hasbro Star Wars Toy of All-Time!

Tonight the king of the lightweights will be ultimately decided.

Luke Skywalker's landspeeder beat Zam Wessel's airspeeder 85-80 in a hotly contested match where Luke sneaked past the bounty hunter with just 52% of the 165 votes. The Landspeeder seats 2 action figures in the front, while 2 more, including droids, can ride on the back behind the seats. Spring-loaded wheels help the Landspeeder look like it's floating as it rolls over hardfloors. But for fun spin-outs on the rug, shift the drive gear back and the wheels hide inside for the least resistance on carpeting. Pop open the hood to make engine repairs, or at least admire the decale that lets you pretend that's what you're doing. Luke's Landspeeder is also detailed with one engine panel removed, the turbine exposed for added realism. The Landspeeder also beat the Naboo's Flash Speeder 51-20 for a win carrying over 71% of the votes.

Challenging Luke are 3 riders including both "his clone" and his twin sister on the Aratech 74-Z Military Speeder Bike, which was featured in Return of the Jedi. This vehicle has been packed with every known movie pilot which today includes its standard pilot, the Imperial Scout Trooper, as well as Leia, Luke himself, and Ewok Scout Paploo. All of the pack-in figures are available in other venues (save for Paploo) be it a carded figure, or a Millennium Minted Coin box figure. Meanwhile, the speeder bike features a pivoting blaster cannon, braking flaps that operate remotely when the foot pedals are moved, and an explosive battle damage feature that causes the craft to blow apart when the camouflage jacket is pressed down on the rear of the craft.
The Speederbike defeated the Swoopbike 82-23 carrying 78% of the vote to its victory. It did similarly well against a Battledroid on a STAP in the Quarterfinals, where the Imperial Speederbike finished 135-35 carrying 79% of the vote (out of 170) for another perfect finish.

So which craft will last out of the Semi-Finals and attempt to go all the way?

The champion of the lightweights is....

bigbarada
07-25-2002, 11:19 PM
So, how many more of these votes are left before we have determined the ultimate victor?

BTW, I voted for the Speeder Bike, after seeing the 25th Anni version of the Landspeeder, I can't vote for the old one.

It's going to be a moot point anyway as there is no chance the winner of this poll will beat out the AT-AT. So you might as well disqualify both of them right now.

Adam
07-25-2002, 11:23 PM
Everything BB has said was pretty much what I was thinking..

Tycho
07-25-2002, 11:28 PM
There are 2 Semi-Final matches left, for August 2nd and August 9th.

Then 2 Finals for the last 4 vehicles not yet cut out by multiple eliminations will be held on August 16.

Finally, a championship between the last 2 standing on August 23.

Then there will only be one.

There is a vehicle or two that might challenge the AT-AT.

They both may be in some very close matches in the last of the Semi-Finals. So far our closer battles have been in the Quarterfinals and Preliminaries. Go figure...

But stay tuned.

But please continue to discuss and debate the merits of the speederbike and the landspeeder.

JediTricks
07-26-2002, 01:34 AM
The landspeeder is a cute toy, but the design is now 25 years old and looks badly dated. It's always been ridiculously out of scale and had only so-so sculpting and materials.

On the other hand, the speederbike was designed 7 years after the landspeeder when there was TONS of experience and still remains a viable sculpt. It's in-scale, has a good floating design (sorry, but while I love the wheels on the landspeeder, they don't look nearly as cool as the speederbike's legs), a fun exploding gimmick, and great paint apps.

stillakid
07-26-2002, 02:15 AM
I like the Landspeeder, but it's design is much more in step with the original late '70's designs of the entire line. With the much more realistic look of figures these days, the Landspeeder in this contest just doesn't look right anymore. (Eagerly awaiting the newer version).

On the bright side, the floating action has always worked very well and made this an easy toy to actually play with...

As opposed to the SpeederBikes which require a bit more "work" to fly around. It's a great looking toy and always has been, but playing with it is a little more difficult than with the Landspeeder.

Plus keeping figures on the Speederbike can be quite difficult whereas the Landspeeder keeps the occupants safe and sound.

Regardless, I went with the Speederbike for it's more accurate look that is more in step with the modern line of figures.

Rogue II
07-26-2002, 08:05 AM
I had to vote for the Landspeeder. Nice stable vehicle. I'm sure the new version will be much better. While I like the speederbike, it has too many issues. The break apart feature is a little too sensitive, and those little flaps on the back always pop off.

Darth Tornado
07-26-2002, 08:29 AM
Well I chose Lukes speeder it is a good paint job on an old toy.
Did you see the new Lukes speeder though OMG!!!!! Toys R Us has it made with that exclusive vehicle and the new X-Wing they look absolutly beautiful:crazed:

NiktosRule
07-26-2002, 10:37 AM
I vote for the speeder bike as well. The Landspeeder just isn't a fun toy. Neither vehicle should've made it this far though.

Eternal Padawan
07-26-2002, 05:16 PM
I voted landspeeder. Both are great tiny vehicles, but the landspeeder looks cooler in my dioramas that a speederbike.

However, in matching these two up, you sacrificed them both since neither one has the moxie to defeat ANY of the remaining vehicles. And if you had matched them up against two separate vehicles, they would have been seen as sacrifices in order to allow the other two vehicles to advance one more round. Having seen this match up (of all the possible variables) I can reasonably assume another Imperial match up and another Prequel matchup.
The victor of either of THOSE matches will pit it triumphantly against the winner of this matchup, leaving the other to deal with the AT-AT juggernaut. Now it's possible that the AT-AT COULD be defeated in that round, but you are virtually guaranteeing the winner of the other contest (that which faces the winner of THIS contest) to make it to the final round.

So, have you already planned your strategy, Tycho? Which vehicle will you favor with battling the Landspeederbike in the semi finals, so that it may head off into the finals? The winner of the TIE/TIE battle, or the battle of the "1"s?

ROLLO!

Mandalorian Candidat
07-26-2002, 06:09 PM
No speederbike will ever be as good as the landspeeder or even the Flashspeeder. The floating wheel action is so slick compared to the "manual action" needed to play with the bikes. Plus you can do the old crash and bash with the speeders and pop open the hoods when they make impact. Besides that the speeders can hold more figures than the bikes.

Yes, the bikes may be good for diorama building, but as for the actual toy appearance and playability there's no comparison. Luke's speeder all the way.

Obehave Kenobi
07-27-2002, 02:44 AM
I voted for the Landspeeder. I really think they did an excellent job of retooling the mold to make it look closer to it's movie counterpart. I like the Speeder Bike, too, but Luke personal transport has the edge in my opinion. Of course, I hadn't bothered to look at the new Speeder before I voted. It's sweet, by the way.

Obehave Kenobi
07-27-2002, 02:45 AM
By the way, wasn't it great back when Hasbro designed MOST of the figures so they could be used in the vehicles?

Tycho
07-27-2002, 05:13 AM
Well, to answer some concerns, I had 8 lightweights:

the STAP
Sith Speeder
Speederbike
Swoop Bike

Zam Wessel's speeder
Anakin Skywalkers
the Flash Speeder
Luke's Landspeeder

So I pitted them all against each other in groups like you see the two pairs of 4's here.

Could any of these really take on the B-wing, Y-wing, or the TIE's that have done so well in these contests?

So, it does give one of them the chance to get pretty far. I mean the Y-wing was eliminated in the preliminaries, but it made sense to keep those fighters in a group of their own (there were 8 of them too) and see which will be the favorite???

As far as the largest vehicles go, there are only 3: The Falcon, Royal Starship, and the AT-AT. They all could have been pitted against swoops and speederbikes and still ended up facing each other later, rather than sooner, but the results would've been the same: You guys chose the AT-AT. (The Gunship and Tyderium do not qualify until you guys own them - long after this contest is finalized).

So yes, it does look like the speederbike could take on the AT-AT in a Finals tournament, but the other 2 Semi-Finals could be very interesting, as could one of the 2 Finals matches wind up being very close.

Last but not least, even in going after the AT-AT (if it makes it to the championship), the ship that runs the gauntlet through these tougher fights might have the mettle to take on the Imperial's juggernaut. You never know.

There's still some things to be of interest left to go in these fights, ya know! ;)

dr_evazan22
07-27-2002, 03:39 PM
While the POTF2 Landspeeder looks better than the original, my vote is for the Speeder Bike.

Many of the other posters have listed the great paint, scultp and what-not of both vehicles, when plaing w/ them, I always had more exciting playtime w/ the Speeder Bike.

While I'm not in love w/ the Landspeeder, I will be getting the new TRU version that comes w/ the 49th Tatooine Luke since the line was relaunched in '95.

I'm eagerly awaiting the special 50th Tatooine Luke that comes specially packaged w/ a list of all 50 different versions: He-Man Luke, Luke w/ his hat, Luke w/o his hat, Luke w/ brown socks... but I digress...

Speeder Bike all the way!

chrisc
07-29-2002, 10:24 AM
I choose the speeder bike. The landspeeder just sits there while the speeder bike has alot more things it can do.(i.e.) shoot ewoks,shoot rebels, blow up. I would never vote for the landspeeder.In fact mine is in a junkyard diorama.

Needles
07-29-2002, 07:14 PM
I cant vote for some reason,but if I could I go with The landspeeder,I like every feature on it.The speederbike is crap,I dont like fell apart every time i picked up.So I am with the Landspeeder all the way,although its most likely gonna lose.
check out this website.its a very funny SW website.
http://pages.map.com/starwars/poftoo/

Eternal Padawan
08-03-2002, 10:04 AM
Hey! Where's the third semi-final poll?!? Friday has come and gone!

Will it be TIE Interceptor vs TIE Bomber?
Or The Naboo N-1 vs Jango's Slave-1?
or will the TIE Bomber find itself against S-1 and the TIE-I battle the N-1?
or even a Bomber/N-1 matchup and an Interceptor/Firespray showdown!

Either way.....get to work, Tycho! Weesa waitin! Friday is FIGHT NIGHT!

JediTricks
08-04-2002, 12:24 AM
I believe Tycho is with Steve at the SDCC helping with coverage so he'll probably get to it soon.

Tycho
08-06-2002, 11:15 PM
Thanks for your patience guys.

JediTricks was right. I was helping SirSteve at Comic Con and stayed late into the night at the after-Con parties so I didn't get a BOTM fight up Friday.

But as most of you probably know by now, Semi-Final Fight 3 is up and running with the Bomber vs. the Interceptor. I wanted to round out the battles for the title of the ultimate Classic Starfighter. Right now, that looks like it will be the TIE Interceptor.

Meanwhile, thank you all so much for your interest in BOTM's!!!

It is making this feature really worthwhile for me to set up the matches and bring you Fight Nights when I've heard how so many of you enjoy and appreciate these.

Somehow I think we'll end up doing ranking matches after a Champion Title-holder is chosen. Thanks again for helping make these a lot of fun for all of us!!!

-Tycho

I voted for Luke's Landspeeder by the way.... I think. Then again, I can't remember. It was really busy with the Con going on, and each craft has its merits. Grrrrr. Now I'm unsure how I feel about this...

But at this stage, the Speederbike has already won. Though I'm not sure it was deserving...

Tycho
08-16-2002, 02:08 PM
Well, the speederbike has come out the champion of the light-weights. Now it has to face one of the finalists in a ridiculous size match-up.

Just remember, our biker friends have had fair contests all the way through for as long as possible...

vs. Swoop.

vs. STAP (Won over Sith Speeder)

vs. Luke's Landspeeder (won over Flash Speeder and Zam's Speeder)

Now there's nothing in the speederbike's size range, so....

Welcome to the Battle of the Machines FINALS!

he-he-heh-heh-hah!