PDA

View Full Version : Target Policy - Destroy 1st Shipment of Simpsons

Thrawn
07-26-2002, 02:08 AM
I have been collecting Simpsons stuff since the show came on the air. Needless to say I was psyched about the Playmates line and since they started have bought them all.

One thing that really sickens me, and this is not a fluke, every single time there is a new wave at Target - the cards are trashed. Starting with Series 1 up to latest Series 9. This isn't at one store, or even one state. I always have to go back a week later for the 2nd shipment to get mint cards.

I have seen this at every Target in multiple states from TX to LA to PA to NJ. Since WM, Kmart and even TRU don't seem to get new waves, Target is the only place to get Simpsons anymore.

Just wondering if anyone else encountered this phenomenon.

JediTricks
07-26-2002, 02:10 AM
strange, they're pristine here, and not even as HTF as I keep hearing about (though I stopped collecting at wave 2). I notice that TRU has the most mangled playset boxes and WM has the most mangled cards, and both get their new Simpsons product about 3 weeks after Target.

Beast
07-26-2002, 02:12 AM
Yeah, they are all fine here as well. And abundent. I don't think that many people around here collect the line. I always see pegs full of them when I am checking Star Wars. Sorry to hear about your luck Thrawn. Your thread topic is misleading though, it's not Target Policy. You may wanna clear that up. Just a thought. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Exhaust Port
07-26-2002, 09:52 PM
This stuff is almost mint on the pegs since no one seems to be buying. I'm finding that the WOS stuff is sitting idle on the shelves more now than ever. I remember in earlier waves that both the figures and playsets would vanish quickly. Now I'll return to a store week after week to see the same figures there. The initial buzz on the WOS has definately died down. I'm still collecting them but I'm not nearly as excited with each new wave as I had before. Too many character versions, too little individual characters. I don't know how much longer I'll stay with this line.

SWAFMAN
07-26-2002, 10:08 PM
on a side note: it may not be any help, but the kaybee in my town has an end cap display with several Simpsons figures. I don't know what wave, but one of the packs had the twin girl characters.

JediTricks
07-27-2002, 12:45 AM
Thrawn, perhaps it's local scalpers who, in your area, can't afford all the stuff in the first shipment of a new wave so they trash it. In my area, they just buy it all but I've heard of this happening with SW before.

QLD
07-27-2002, 02:30 AM
Yeah, me thinks that Thrawn has almost as much luck as me!

Jek Porky 2002
07-27-2002, 08:51 AM
On a slightly different subject, does anyone know which basic figures are coming later this year?

Darth Nihilus
07-27-2002, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by SWAFMAN
on a side note: it may not be any help, but the kaybee in my town has an end cap display with several Simpsons figures. I don't know what wave, but one of the packs had the twin girl characters.

Series 8. It also has Supt. Chalmers, Ragin' Willie, Kearney, Daredevil Bart and Uter. I'm sure I've missed one there.

How's this, a year ago my local stores had to reduce their WoS stuff to clear them of the shelves. During that period I picked up 2 Smithers, 2 Monty Burns, 3 Lisas, 2 Grampas, PP Homer, 2 Chief Wiggums and 2 Ned Flanders.

Then just a few days ago I was in EB looking at PS2 games when I noticed on their action figure display a pristine series 1 Lisa.:eek:

Exhaust Port
07-27-2002, 11:52 AM
I never got Lisa or Grandpa from wave 1 and are the only figure to elude me to this day other than the CBG Toyfare exclusive. I'll probably score those off eBay someday as their prices are continuing to fall.

What do you think of the last wave? I think Disco Stu is awesome as well as Rod and Todd but I'm disgusted by the Krusty. That was the first showing of that character on the series and he never looked like that again. I just looks like a cheap knock off of the Krusty character. Now if they started a Vintage line with early editions of characters (ie Black Smithers) this Krusty would be more fitting.

Darth Nihilus
07-27-2002, 02:14 PM
I'm trading all my Simpsons stuff for Masters of the Universe figures. It's the only reason I picked them up in the first place.

Jek Porky 2002
07-27-2002, 04:32 PM
I really like the Busted Krusty figure, it definatly the best of series 9!

Thrawn
07-27-2002, 09:34 PM
Here are some new things.
Celebrity Wave 2 is out - only 2 figures.
Upcoming
Dr. Nick's office w/Dr. Nick
Toys R Us - Main Street w/Squeaky Voice Teen figure
Burns Manor w/P.J. Burns
School Bus
EB exclusive 300th Episode Set w/5 figures
EB exclusive KBBL Radio Station w/Bill & Marty
EB exclusive Moe's Tavern w/Duffman
Customers who mail in four UPC codes from
Series 10 packaging and $5 will receive a B-Sharp Homer figure modeled after his barbership quartet attire.
Series 11 will bring a mail-in offer for a B-Sharp Apu, while the Series 12 mail-in will be a B-Sharp Skinner and the
Series 13 one a B-Sharp Barney.

Gift sets will feature Springfield characters in baseball uniforms from the episode "Homer at the Bat." Also in June, look for a gift set with characters in astronaut gear from the episode "Deep Space Homer." The gift sets will be priced at about $10 each.

Wave 2 figures in December will feature figures based on episodes "Homer the Heretic" and "Brother from the Same Planet."

TRU - Series 2 celebrity two-pack with playset. Bowling Marge and Jacques

Series 3 celebrity figures. Jim Varney as Cooder, Al Brooks as Hank Scorpio and Jon Lovitz as Lewellyn Sinclair

Treehouse of Horror III playset. This Ironic Punishment environment features Donut Head Homer, Witch Marge, Hugo, and Dream Invader Willie.

Series 10 figures. Marvin Monroe, Wendell, Scout Leader Flanders, Resort Smithers, Sunday Best Marge & Maggie, and Stonecutter Homer

New Year's Times Square playset. Toys R Us exclusive, New York City's storied Times Square and will feature figures of Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie decked out in their holiday finest

Series 4 celebrity figures. Michelle Pfeiffer as Mindi Simmons, Patrick Stewart as Number 1 and Jon Lovitz as Artie Ziff

Series 11 figures: Blue Haired Lawyer, Kirk Van Houten, Rainer Wolfcastle, Gil, Plow King Barney and Larry Burns

Playsets: Bart's Treehouse with Military Bart figure, and Courtroom with Judge Snyder figure.

Series 12 figures: Mr Plow Homer, Don Vittorio, Mr. Largo, Luanne Van Houten, Database and Molloy.

Playsets: Military Antiques with Herman figure, and School Playground with Janey figure

JediTricks
07-28-2002, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by Thrawn
Gift sets will feature Springfield characters in baseball uniforms from the episode "Homer at the Bat." Also in June, look for a gift set with characters in astronaut gear from the episode "Deep Space Homer." The gift sets will be priced at about $10 each.These are already out, they're mini-figures but not like the blockos, just smaller than the regular figs and woefully out of scale with both the WOS figures and the other figures in their set.

Exhaust Port
07-28-2002, 10:51 AM
There are some pretty cool things coming out in the future for WOS. Wave 10 is disappointing though. Only 2 new characters? Wave 11 and 12 are going to be great addtions to the shelf.

darthvyn
07-28-2002, 11:46 AM
oh, man i gotta get the moe's tavern with duffman!!!

"duffman can never die, only the actors who play him!"

has anyone else noticed that duffman has been played by a couple of different people. not voice actors, i mean in the continuity of the show. at least two. the episode where moe gets his new face, duffman is called by name, and then later on moe puts the sticker on his face, and duffman says

"duffman... can't breathe. OH, no!"

on the springfield isotopes moving to albuquerque episode, he's called by a different name than the above episode! MOE KILLED DUFFMAN!!! hence the quote at the top of the post!

Jek Porky 2002
07-28-2002, 12:18 PM
When did he make his first apperance, was it Homer vs. New York City?

Exhaust Port
07-28-2002, 02:42 PM
I nevered noticed a different version of Duffman. He always looked the same to me.

darthvyn
07-28-2002, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Jek Porky 2002
When did he make his first apperance, was it Homer vs. New York City?

yup. which means we'll never see that one aired again...

Originally posted by Exhaust Port
I nevered noticed a different version of Duffman. He always looked the same to me.

not two different versions. the design/costume/person looks the same, but he's been called by two different civilian names in the show!

in the moe gets a new face episode, he's called "Larry"

and in the 'topes moving to albuqurque, he's called "sid"

in ANOTHER episode after the 'topes, he says "duffman can never die, only the actors who play him"

which leads me to believe, using the fact that moe put the sticker over duffman's face while he's watering the lawn which causes him to say

"duffman... can't breathe... OH, no!"

THAT MOE SZILACK KILLED THE ORIGINAL DUFFMAN!!!

Exhaust Port
07-28-2002, 09:27 PM
I just chalk that up to the inconsistancies (sp?) in the secondary characters and environments. Maybe his name is Larry Sid, so the 2 names we've heard fit the person.

JediTricks
07-29-2002, 01:00 AM
I'm told that the mini sets are NOT out of scale like they look in packaging, and they're just as articulated as their WOS cousins (which should tell you just how crappy WOS articulation is ;)).

Exhaust Port
07-29-2002, 10:08 AM
Playmates: "You'll get up to 3 points of articulation and like it!!!"