PDA

View Full Version : Are VHS's gradually phasing out more in your area?

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
07-26-2002, 04:36 AM
It's been a month or so since Circut City announced the stop of VHS sales. And I've noticed lately that commercials for DVD's/VHS's are now saying "own it now on DVD and Video." Wasn't it like a year ago that the statement was "own it now on Video and DVD?" I've also noticed a lot of stores in my area have a small section for VHS's and a vast selection of DVD's, where as a year ago it was like 50/50. How long do you think until VHS's are completely phased out? At the rate I'm looking, it doesn't seem that far off.

Beast
07-26-2002, 04:43 AM
It will survive a few more years. DVD recorders need to drop a bit more in price to be actual affordable by most consumers. Not because people are buying alot of movies on DVD, but because people have amassed a library of VHS tapes with family events and things recored off TV. Until they can have a machine to transfer to DVD, that will sustain VHS.

The market is dieing though, it can't sustain it's self to much longer. DVD recorder prices are droping. And DVD players already outsell VHS machines every month. Soon the only sales you will have of VHS machines is for people that want a cheap method to record, or already have huge libraries of VHS tapes at home. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
07-26-2002, 02:04 PM
I'm hoping that VHS sticks around a little longer. Look at music, how many stores are still selling cassette tapes? I see new music releases on tape all the time at Wal-Mart (I think it's primarily for people who can't afford a car CD player, like me).

wedgeA
07-26-2002, 03:03 PM
BigB,

Are you referring to a CD deck? If you want something cheaper, you can get a portable CD player, most come with 12v adaptors and a converter "cassette" that fits into your car's deck. You can probably a pretty good one for around $40-$50. I don't have any complaints about mine.

As for VHS, one reason I do mourn its passing is that it was a less restrictive format than DVDs. Since DVD's are region coded, many great foreign films may never see the light of day here. With VHS, they could easily be played on any deck, or at worst, a PAL to NTSC conversion was pretty easy.

bigbarada
07-26-2002, 03:39 PM
After giving it some thought, the reason I think cassette tapes have stuck around is the same reason I believe VHS will be around long after DVD's are yesterday's hi-tech. Cassettes and VHS tapes have many characteristics that, in my mind, make them far superior to CD's or DVD's. Namely durability, versatility and price (yes, I know that tapes are supposedly much more expensive to manufacture than CDs and DVDs, but if this were really true, then no DVD should ever cost more than $5). Sure you can buy a $40 CD player for your car, if you don't mind your CD's skipping every time you hit your brakes. For a $10 tape player though, you never have to worry about skipping (unless you drive off a cliff, in which case your tapedeck is the least of your problem) and you can more easily customize tapes to fit your personal tastes. I know CD burners are getting cheaper also, but you still need to own a computer system to use one (this makes the minimum cost for a CD burner about $500).

Basically I feel the same way about VHS. In my mind the differences in picture quality aren't really clear unless you own a high-end TV set (another few hundred dollars to add to the cost of your DVD player and the more expensive discs). The only thing that DVDs really have going for them is the extra features (which like the bonuses included with early CDs, will go away when the medium becomes more mainstream) and lifespan. The DVDs will survive longer than VHS tapes, but only until the cheap, low-grade plastic used to make them, degrades.

Beast
07-26-2002, 04:09 PM
BigB, seriously you can see the picture difference on small sized TV's. I have my DVD player hooked up to a piddly 19" at the moment, cause my 27" is in the shop. VHS has a much much shorter lifespan then VHS. Everytime you play/record a VHS tape, the heads remove oxide from the tape. Over time, the more you use that tape...the more it degrades and then your tape is ready for the trash heap.

The extra features are the nature of the beast, they won't go away. More and more movies that were released when the format launced as barebones are being re-issed with extra features.

DVD is already mainstream, if it wasn't you wouldn't be able to buy players or discs in stores like Wal-Mart and K-Mart. Trust me on that, I was a Laserdisc person before DVD came. It was a niche group, you never saw players or discs outside of specilty retailers.

You're also forgetting that not only can DVD offer extra features, but you also can get things like alternate audio tracks. Spanish and french language tracks. That is just the tip of the iceberg. The plastics that they use in disc manufaturing are expected to outlast you. Most experts say that your children and their children will be able to enjoy your DVD's.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
07-26-2002, 06:23 PM
Oddly, I kind of agree with all sides in this situatiuon. I think all of the formats have their benefits.

Jek Porky 2002
07-27-2002, 08:46 AM
Over here in the UK, there was a huge rise in the number of people buying DVD's around last September, with that it also caused a huge increase in the number of Video sales, so I reckon it's got a good 5 years left in it yet!

Exhaust Port
07-27-2002, 12:00 PM
I haven't seen any significant changes in the amount of DVD's vs VHS's available at any of the local stores over the last year or so. I'm sure that won't be the case when the same question is asked in 3-4 years.

bigbarada
07-27-2002, 02:25 PM
I guess maybe I've seen too many bad DVD transfers. The copy of American Graffiti I bought was terrible when compared to the old pre-THX VHS tape, and my parents have the TV mini-series Lonesome Dove on DVD (one of my all-time favorites) which still has all the film grain and "dirt" perfectly preserved all over the image. :frus:

Beast
07-27-2002, 02:32 PM
Problem with film grain and dirt, is that if it's a part of the original films negative, it will transfer to the DVD. Since the picture is so much clearer, sometimes it's much more noticible then it is on VHS.

Not every movie can afford to have the film negative cleaned. Clash of the Titans took forever to come out on DVD, because it was going to cost 1 million dollars to restore the film. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jango Jett
07-27-2002, 02:45 PM
Ive noticed a big decline in the sales of VHS in my area, I stopped
buying VHS because they take up too much space in the house,
too big and bulky. I think VHS will be around for a long time
because a lot of people still use it, the thing I like about DVD is
you dont have to worry about adjusting tracking like with VHS.

DarthBrandon
08-10-2002, 11:34 PM
The thing I like about DVD is you donít have to worry about your tapes getting jammed in the machine, also the adjusting of the tracking. I also like the extra menus with special features.

Iíve noticed a big decline in the sales of VHS in my area as well, I think VHS will be around for a long time, because a lot of people still use it. Remember when CD's came out and they said that they would eliminate cassettes, well cassettes are still around to this day. It will be a really long time before VHS gets the boot, sorta speak.:)

General Veers
08-11-2002, 12:06 AM
I would by DVDs more often then VHSs but since im only 17 and dont have a very high paying job those DVDs will have to wait. I think that eventually VHS will go out eventually but we will have to see.

scruffziller
08-12-2002, 06:44 AM
At Wal Mart not really. Well Maybe. Or maybe just because DVDs have gotten so large.

Beast
08-12-2002, 08:32 AM
Even Wal-Mart's VHS section in my area has started to fade. It now only takes up about 3/4th of a shelving unit, while DVD has a full shelving unit, as well as taking 1/4th of the VHS one. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

hango fett
08-12-2002, 09:27 AM
around here, they are on sale for like 54 bucks. and i have seen a dvd player for 80 bucks. i bet before 2005 they will have mini-dvds. you know, like the ones that gamecube use. everything is getting smaller.....
YF

thespar
08-12-2002, 11:56 AM
some of my area walmart i will say are about 50/50 on amount of dvd-vhs.

QLD
08-12-2002, 12:09 PM
Heh, I just sold a large chunk of my VHS collection on ebay. About 500+ movies. I never realized I owned so many crappy movies. I think I set my buy it now price too low though, because someone bought them in like an hour. Oh well. It will help me move into my new house! :D

Beast
08-12-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by hango fett
around here, they are on sale for like 54 bucks. and i have seen a dvd player for 80 bucks. i bet before 2005 they will have mini-dvds. you know, like the ones that gamecube use. everything is getting smaller.....YF
Actually Hango, the next advancement for DVD is blue laser HD-DVD. A blue laser has a shorter wavelength then the current DVD player's Red lasers. So it can honed into a finer beam, enabling it to read and write more bits of information on the same disc space. Current single layer DVD discs can hold 4.7 gigabytes of information. Blue laser will allow that same size disc to hold up to 27 gigabytes of info. That's nearly 6 times the capacity of the current DVD format. And don't worry, it will be backwards compatable to play your older discs as well. Players may show up sometime next year, but will be very expensive at first. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
08-12-2002, 01:54 PM
I am working on getting a DVD player that has a shark with a frickin' laser beam attached to its head. :D

TylerD
08-13-2002, 02:35 AM
LOL! @ QLD! Dr. Evil is awesome.

My Wal-mart used to have two sides of VHS (plus two floor displays just outside the electronics dept.) Now it has one DVD aisle and about 50% less videos. I always buy those old Disney movies from the 60s for REALLY good prices. Old Yeller for six bucks! Can't beat that!

jonboy
08-13-2002, 08:16 AM
DVD is here to stay. I bought the very first player that came out when the format was released. Everyone called me nuts. Well, years later, who is nuts now!!! I own the Denon DVD-2800 with an RCA 38" HD widescreen tv and with the Denon's progressive output, the picture is awsome. I don't miss VHS at all after watching images like that.

Beast
08-13-2002, 09:52 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot about Wal-Mart's floor displays of DVD's. So yeah, VHS is definatly going the way of the dodo at Wal-Mart as well. I still see VCR's and Blank Tapes being sold though, but that is because there are alot of people with large libraries of VHS tapes. Myself included thanks to my around 200 MST3K episodes. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
08-13-2002, 09:57 AM
VHS are phasing out here in Liverpool. I went to HMV before in my lunch break to pick up a CD and I noticed that there are about 50 shelves full of DVDs and at the very back corner there is about 2 shelves of Videos ;). Hopefully soon there will be no such thing as VHS, I really HATED the things. I taped something of TV last night and this morning I tried to eject the tape but it got stuck, so me being stupid tried to pull it out with force and broke the thing :rolleyes:.

PENDO!

QLD
08-13-2002, 10:42 AM
Ever since I got tivo, my VCR collects even MORE dust.

Slicker
11-28-2006, 08:50 PM
VHS is definitely fading out if not already faded out. I haven't bought a VHS in literally years. It took about the same amount of time for CD's to phase out cassettes but it did happen. I don't even know of anyone that still buys cassettes.

El Chuxter
11-28-2006, 10:37 PM
Slicker, I'm going to tell your mom that you're digging up old garbage. :p

CaptainSolo1138
11-28-2006, 11:10 PM
It seems the only thing I ever see on VHS is workout videos. Perhaps a government funded research project to determine why needs to be hammered out.

2-1B
11-28-2006, 11:28 PM
I bought AOTC on VHS in 2002, they're not much bigger than two meters.

Slicker
11-29-2006, 09:39 AM
It seems the only thing I ever see on VHS is workout videos. That's because fat people hate new technology.

JimJamBonds
11-29-2006, 10:31 AM
VHS is definitely fading out if not already faded out. I haven't bought a VHS in literally years. It took about the same amount of time for CD's to phase out cassettes but it did happen. I don't even know of anyone that still buys cassettes.

I know somebody who still buys both.

El Chuxter
10-06-2011, 01:04 AM
I've been looking for the new 9-tape Star Wars set I've heard so much about. No luck so far. Anyone else? Still haven't even found Episode III on VHS yet. I guess it's selling like hotcakes six years later and I never happen to be at the store whenthey unload the trucks and folks jump right on all the VHS instantly.

sith_killer_99
10-06-2011, 03:10 PM
I've been looking for the new 9-tape Star Wars set I've heard so much about. No luck so far. Anyone else? Still haven't even found Episode III on VHS yet. I guess it's selling like hotcakes six years later and I never happen to be at the store whenthey unload the trucks and folks jump right on all the VHS instantly.

Yeah, you may have to order it online to get a VHS copy...the VHS is VERY popular.

El Chuxter
10-06-2011, 03:21 PM
You mean I'm going to have to call them? Oh, I hate that.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-06-2011, 05:45 PM
Actually Hango, the next advancement for DVD is blue laser HD-DVD. A blue laser has a shorter wavelength then the current DVD player's Red lasers. So it can honed into a finer beam, enabling it to read and write more bits of information on the same disc space. Current single layer DVD discs can hold 4.7 gigabytes of information. Blue laser will allow that same size disc to hold up to 27 gigabytes of info. That's nearly 6 times the capacity of the current DVD format. And don't worry, it will be backwards compatable to play your older discs as well. Players may show up sometime next year, but will be very expensive at first. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
So you're saying these new DVDs will work thanks to some sort of . . . blue . . . ray technology?

Preposterous! Preposterous, I say!

JimJamBonds
10-07-2011, 09:52 AM
I read an article this week that cassette tapes are making a comeback (of sorts).