PDA

View Full Version : Tactics on looking for figures

Nebulaz
07-26-2002, 06:14 AM
I was looking at walmart this morning and realized something. I am very lazy when it comes to looking for figures, especially if I have to move the less important ones to the side. Right now I need KE jango then TA anakin and new DM. But I dont try to search thru the piles of pegs stuff to the maximum. I just filter thru the first row by glimpsing and look at the sides of any open rows, but other than that nothing. I was wondering if anyone else did this or do you guys, hit every peg with deep sincerity??

Jeremy

Chiesa
07-26-2002, 06:40 AM
I don't really bother to look too hard for a particular figure... I just hate the disappointment when I put in all the effort for nothing... Somehow casually I just manage to find what I want and need when I just do not try to look very hard... :) Guess I must be pretty lucky eh...

Cheers :)

LTBasker
07-26-2002, 07:22 AM
I peek at the sides and usually just dig through something. If I'm willing to spend money on it, and it's there, by golly I'm gonna find it. If it's not then fine, I'll grab an army builder. If I hadn't of looked hard one day I wouldn't of found my first Saga Endor Han nor all the background figures.

Forhekset
07-26-2002, 08:29 AM
I'll rearrange the entire aisle if I need to, though lately the pegs are so stuffed that the figures I need are right up front in large quantities, so I don't have to dig through to the back. Every once in a while there's a hidden gem at the back, however....

billfremore
07-26-2002, 09:44 AM
I always dig.
Because like Forhekset says you never know what you'll find.

I went digging at a TRU a month ago and found a preview Jango buried behind a ton of Ketwols and Mechanic Chewies.

Old Fossil
07-26-2002, 10:05 AM
People sometimes hide the hard-to-find figures in the back of the pegs, behind masses of other, more common figures. I suppose they plan to return for them later?...

Count Dooku
07-26-2002, 10:27 AM
I dug and found the only Yoda on a display of probably 200 figures. It was right at the back and burried. I'm sure many people didn't bother digging when all they saw was warmers at the front. But it was right at the back last one! Sweet find.

I_Deus
07-26-2002, 10:42 AM
I always dig! I looka t every figure and also look for variations. I even go to the other toy isles to see if little kids have moved them, or if people have hidden some. And I USUALLY do find it worth it. I like the search. If I didnt they I could just order them online!!! Searching is the best part

billfremore
07-26-2002, 10:48 AM
There is a great deal of fun in the chase.
But it is nice when your perseverence is rewarded.

DeadEye
07-26-2002, 12:31 PM
You've got to dig! Digging makes us who we are. I once looked at the Wal-Mart racks and saw nothing of interest...as I prepared to leave, I decided to take one last look. I dug through the racks and, hidden in the back, was the new Chewie. :D

thespar
07-26-2002, 12:41 PM
i always dig just to see if i can find some of the newer ones are hang around in the back and i will also check with the other action figures beacuse right now two of my walmarts have any isle for them.

Lord Tenebrous
07-26-2002, 12:51 PM
At Walmart, I find stuff stacked on top of the pegs, pushed towards the back. Yoda, Han, Luke, and Djas were all rescued from there. Somebody also hid two Nexus behind the Lego Gunships. The deluxe pegs are tight enough as it is, so I put them in plain sight on the top shelf, next to the Reek overflow.

And yes, with TRU it's always usually at the back of the display. Luckily, I can peer over and look at the tops of figures, making the search a little quicker. Usually...

TRU guy: Can I help you find anything?
Me: Shhhh, I'm huntin' wabbits!

The displays at Kmart and Target are small enough that I can usually find what I want without moving anything.

Nebulaz
07-26-2002, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by billfremore
There is a great deal of fun in the chase.
But it is nice when your perseverence is rewarded.

I still think that way, but at the same time, i'm kinda worn down by all the failures in findings. I usually just give it a lackluster attempt, but everynow and then i go all out.

Rogue II
07-26-2002, 04:30 PM
For the past 6 or so figures I've bought, I found them right on top. I thing this is because there are so many pegwarmers, the stockers just put the new figures on the front.

Thunderstorm1
07-26-2002, 10:03 PM
I too dig, but lately the new figures have been right out is plain view

steve3p0
07-26-2002, 10:44 PM
like most of you have mentioned, i too have found the newest toys to be right on the end of the racks ... no searching required... i usually just check that way because im in a hurry or i figure i wont get anything for my effort.... but ....a few weeks ago, before they hit in mass quantity, i searched through all of my walmart's 200-300 star wars toys to find a single obiwan pilot buried deep in the back and two days later , i went through them all again to find nothing but as i walked away i noticed that on the shelf, not hanging up .. was a single han solo... sure my walmart now has about 30 of each, but it was nice to be rewarded for my searching by finding those two a few weeks early !

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
07-26-2002, 11:17 PM
I like digging through every single row. If need be, I'll rearrange each row, so that each row has the exact same figure, making it easier for other people to search.

jonboy
07-26-2002, 11:56 PM
I am with the majority, I'm a digger. I found my first Yoda buried in the very back of the pegs at TRU. They had a million Jango KE and buried behind a bunch was the mini-master himself. Lately though, no digging has been required.

Darth Cruel
07-27-2002, 03:14 AM
It may be a little wierd, but I go through every figure, and if I have time, I separate them so that all the figures on each peg are the same. I do that so that it is easier for the next guy to look through them.

-JediMaster-Yoda-
07-27-2002, 09:29 AM
I search threw every single figure deluxe and everything

Darth forb1us
07-27-2002, 10:16 AM
For all the reasons already stated :p
Now, with the latest filling the fronts of pegs (and whole pegs themselves) It's not quite as necessary, UNLESS! you missed someone along the way.
I'm a completest, so.. I gotta find everything lol I keep a full set moc/misb, and I buy backups for display, so hunting every variation- while beginning to annoy me, is still a must (for the mint set)
There are people that hide the stuff. Could be an employee who just put them out, "sweet, I need this!" so (s)he stuff's it in the back for when they are off their shift.

It took me forever to find palpy, djas and chewie, but up until I found them - (ironically 50 million of the things all over walmarts huge display - that this particular walmart I had been finding nothing! so I said forget that place a while back.. hahaha) - I had been digging in every other store store, pushing children out of the way and tackling collectors on their way to the checkout :evil: :crazed:

ok enough ranting :stupid:

Jayspawn
07-27-2002, 11:51 AM
I always shuffle through figures to see if there's anything hidden. I've found a few good ones before too. Also check the sides and when going through the pegs, it helps to look at the picture on the lower left part of the package.

It also helps when looking for figures to, when you can spare a few minuets, just go to the store period. You ever know when they've restocked or put something back. I've found a few that way also.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-27-2002, 11:58 PM
Although a lot of times I don't dig (usually that is when someone is in the parking lot waiting for me) it does pay to dig.

Case in point, 2 weeks ago at TRU I saw the Endor Han Wave. They had about 7 Obis and Hans in a bin. I skimmed through the bin looking at only the top figures and no Chewie. I then went to the regular pegs and filed through them but to avail. I was going to leave when I decided to go through the bin one more time. Towards the bottom I found a pristine Chewbacca.

Of course if you dig, and you take figs off from the pegs, put them back. Do a nice thing for the employees and don't further tarnish Star Wars collectors.

rynobot
07-28-2002, 01:02 AM
If it's within the hours of 9am-11pm I'll just check the visable figures and maybe the sides.

If its with the hours of 11pm-9am I'll make sure to check every single figure on the pegs. I clear pegs and make sure I have seen each figure the store has. I also like to make sure a peg is full, this emptys pegs and makes the SW section look emptier because of all the empty pegs.