PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Friends!!

mabudonicus
07-26-2002, 09:49 AM
I'm starting a new thread to make up for some of the numerous ones that got closed during SSG's "full moon fever".
Those who know me here, hello. To all those I have never spoken with, Hello to you as well. This is a community, and one that I am proud to be a member in (at least) fair standing.
We all came here for one thing, our love of a great sci fi uhhhhh, well, it was a trilogy when I first came to this site, but now I can't think of what to call it.
Anyways, Star Wars brought me here, and I ASSume that everyone else here was drawn by the same thing. I LOVE Star Wars, (EU is a different story), and so I automatically like and respect you all on that one fundamental level.
Lately there have been problems, mostly with people forgetting why they're here in the first place- FUN. Now, I know that in speaking with each other about many different things, many differences have become clear. If everyone here parrotted what everyone else said, there'd be no point. If I have ticked people off in the past (a certain RIP thread comes to mind:(), I'm sorry, you are ALL my friends and if there's bad blood, I want to take care of it, because I want to do as much as I can to keep this community healthy.
If you feel stuff getting out of control, remember why we're here. Remember that at the core, we're all basically here for Star Wars. Sirsteve and the mods and the staff do a real good job, and lately their job has gotten too hard. We are in danger of destroying our own "society" (at this point I would not be surprised if this whol;e section got shut down:() with the very things that make it great, the freedom of opinion that allows a solid exchange of opinions.
PLEASE, everyone, we gotta live together, or they'll shut us down, and it would break my heart to lose this place- PLEASE, before another Flame War erupts, remember that we should be friends, and at least respect if not actually love one another.
No I am NOT high right now:)!!
I'm just scared that, if we all don't start "self policing", both internally and externally, then the mods will have no choice but to get rid of the whole thing.
PLEASE don't get mabudon's thread closed. I know what's going on, and I want to try and calm the raging flood. You don't want this to end, do you??

Pendo
07-26-2002, 09:55 AM
Amen! :cry:

I don't know what I'd do if this place closed, it's the only reason why I come onto the Internet. Hopefully everything will calm down and get back to normal soon!

PENDO!

billfremore
07-26-2002, 10:07 AM
Well like all large groups there is always the occasional fight or disagreement.

We just like to overdo everything. :D

I agree with Mabudon, we're here to talk with and meet other people with common interests (Star wars natch':)) so think we should just relax and if somebody's saying something you don;t like or if they annoy you, just let it go, walk away, don't respond to them.

So let there be peace! :D

Beast
07-26-2002, 10:15 AM
Good idea Mabudon. I think almost everyone that was on-line last night suddenly was affected with what you call, "Full Moon Fever". This place is like a family, even if it is a really eccentric one. Sure we might not always get along, but what family does.

Last night was the first time I've ever seen the forums in such a tizzy. But regardless, this isn't the place for this stuff. If we wanted to fight and argue, we should find an AOL chatroom. We're here for our love of Star Wars, even if we disagree about how deep that love goes.

What fun would the forums be if everyone agreed about everything. Topics would be boring, like they just cloned that one person over and over. I know that alot of my opinion on Star Wars and it's toy line arn't always the popular opinion, but I am going to say what I like....and if you disagree, cool with me.

Disagreement, is what breeds good discussions. Feeling like your being personally attacked for your opinion, or feeling the need to make attacks because you disagree with someone isn't the answer. It just makes your argument less valid. If you can state your argument in an intelligent manner, you may get more people realising that you have a point.

Remeber in the wise words of Chris Rock in Dogma, "I just feel that it's better to have ideas. Beliefs are powerful, people die for them, people kill for them. I think it's better to have ideas. You can change an idea. Changing a belief is trickier." Note that I wasn't about ready to pop the DVD in, so the quote may be wrong. And that's all I have to say on that. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

billfremore
07-26-2002, 11:04 AM
I think that's pretty close to the original quote JJ.
It at least gets the same idea across.

Some people here I'm sure would prefer if we did nothing but agree with each other which I'm sure p!sses off other people.

Disagreements will happen, it will lead to arguements, but it also drives the conversation like Jar Jar said.

Everybody's entitled to their opinion, optimally it would be nice if nobody bashed you for your opinion but that's their opinion and they're entitled to that too.

I have adopted a simple rule, if you can't get along with somebody, at least be civil and try not to talk to that person too much.

I've had my disagreements with a few people here and I just keep my distance and my mouth shut now.

Ok now I'm done,anybody wanna buy a used soapbox? :D ;)

Jonna
07-26-2002, 11:19 AM
You know who I feel bad for, anyone who has become a member recently.

To All New Members
Now I am by no means a veteran here; just a few months since I started. But except for the past few weeks, especially last night, business is not usually run like this around here. We have had a couple isolated incidents with a couple individuals that have gotten completely out of control. Now that things have come to a head, hopefully this place will return to normal. Wellcome all new members.:)

QLD
07-26-2002, 11:57 AM
Yeah, welcome!!!

I LOVE YOU ALL!!!!!!!!

Especially that blue babe Jar Jar.

Though all that just confirms my thoughts that we need a SSG chatroom again, so at least that stuff wouldn't be clogging the forums. :D

SWAFMAN
07-26-2002, 11:58 AM
I understand Mabudon's calls for 'a return to normalcy' and not wanting the management to shut down gendisc 'cuz it gets just too inconvenient or time consuming to police the posts.

But billfremore & JJB make excellent points:

"if somebody's saying something you don't like or if they annoy you, just let it go, walk away, don't respond to them."

"What fun would the forums be if everyone agreed about everything. Topics would be boring..."

billfremore's solution is elegant. Unanswered threads/posts simply roll off page one to obscurity. It's Democracy in action. Don't 'vote' for it, and it just goes away.

Be it 'full moon fever' or some other factor(s) or just an inexplicable statistical blip that's caused this apparent rise in antagonistic threads/posts, Jonna is right to point out to the newbies that this isn't business as usual on SSG.

I hope we all can find a balance where we can freely express our POVs respectfully enough, but without feeling we have to too greatly censor ourselves for fear of incurring the wrath of the local "PC Posse."

The alternatives are bleak. Either management will come down with draconian rules on forum conduct that will effectively neuter any free exchange of ideas, or gendisc may just be closed down outright.

Okay. Now that that's settled:
[insert your religion/ethnicity/political party here] SUCKS!!!

;) :D

billfremore
07-26-2002, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the kind words SWAFman.
I feel a group hug coming on. ;):D

2-1B
07-26-2002, 12:05 PM
Ironic . . . that Bill, Jonna, and JJB are usually amongst the first to bang away on DeadEye, yet they're the first ones in here to illustrate how to run a smooth
forum . . . :D

DarthBrandon
07-26-2002, 12:07 PM
Welcome to all SSG members.

Welcome to all members

It's pretty much summed up by JarJarBinks, Jonna, billfremore, and mabudon.

This is a place where we all come to discuss similar interests in Star Wars and other fine topics. Sometimes things get a little off topic or a little out of hand for that matter, but most of time it's a pretty decent place to chat about things on these forums. I have seen some pretty good conversations that have gone on in here and have been involved in some good ones myself. I just wanted to wish the other members peace, harmony, and a safe journey on the boards. If someone is giving you a problem, then stay away just like a friend told me ( they know who they are ) last evening. It's not worth it; in the future I shall do the same.

Take Care and may the force ( peace ) be with you.

Pendo
07-26-2002, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
Ironic . . . that Bill, Jonna, and JJB are usually amongst the first to bang away on DeadEye, yet they're the first ones in here to illustrate how to run a smooth

They'll be after YOU next Caesar :D

PENDO!

QLD
07-26-2002, 12:08 PM
Isn't it ironic.....don't ya think....
A little too ironic.....yeah....I really do think.....

it's like rain, on your wedding day....
A free ride, when you're already late,
It's the good advice, that you just didn't take...
And who would've thought....it figures.....

billfremore
07-26-2002, 12:12 PM

Hey even Anakin turned away from the darkside...

mabudonicus
07-26-2002, 12:22 PM
Yes, YESSSSS...... Swafman, you brought up another good point, on which I was thinking of in the back of my mind as I was posting this thread..... To everyone who's recently joined, don't even look at closed threads. I hope that EVERYONE INVOLVED with the closing of them(Mabudon included) appreciates how they got to where thay had to be closed. Let's try and make it so that never happens again, cause it doesn't have to. Those are the "worst of times", and the other 99% of this forum is truly "the best of times".
I must agree as well that a chatroom, with one mod, would be the best place for the kind of thing that has happened here lately. Whether it be here at SSG, (which would be cool) or an arranged meeting place elsewhere on the net (not as ideal, but hey, I'm trying to avoid putting any more pressure on the administration right now:) they REALLY don't need it), the kind of things that have happened recently
A- Shouldn't really happen at all
B- needn't be kept in a public place for all the world to see for time immemorial (I mean, who wants to carve "you SUCK man, I'll kill you" into stone, welll, forget I asked)
C- aren't what we are about.
We are all students of the Force, and if the closed threads are any indication, maybe we should all study a bit harder.....
Weeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

DeadEye
07-26-2002, 12:27 PM
So, really, I'm kind of a central cog in the SSG forum machine--I'm extremely easy to disagree with! :D
I hope you all understand that I've been trying to control the ego--although aside from my old sig, the Portman issue, and the spelling thing, you couldn't mention any instances of me truly boasting. :D
Anyway,...why can't we all just get along?

billfremore
07-26-2002, 12:31 PM
I'm willing to let it all go.

So let's just move on.

Ok, Central Cog? :D

Jonna
07-26-2002, 12:31 PM

Perhaps we are all just the same person.

DeadEye
07-26-2002, 12:36 PM
I think you are all the same person. :D

mabudonicus
07-26-2002, 12:40 PM
Again, PLEASE NOBODY GET THIS THREAD CLOSED. It is intended as a greeting, and an honest evaluation of the dynamics of OUR COMMUNITY.
PLEASE.

Jonna
07-26-2002, 12:44 PM
I didn't do anything!!!!!! Sheezh!

SWAFMAN
07-26-2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Jonna
forum .

Perhaps we are all just the same person.

funny, now that you mention it I've never personally seen the three of you in the same room together live, in-person.

coincidence?....

;)

billfremore
07-26-2002, 01:23 PM
Yes, yes it is a coincidence.

So I agree with Mabudon, let's stop the fussin' and a feudin'.
If you don't like what someone has to say, ignore him.

So to all new forumites (or is that forumers?) Welcome to the boards.

Please check your ego at the door :D

DeadEye
07-26-2002, 01:43 PM
I think we need to have some sort of respect system. Not by number of posts, oh no, because that would promote spam--something that I don't do anyway. But look at when each person registered--and if he's been on longer than you then he is your senior. :D

jjreason
07-26-2002, 02:13 PM
First things first, Im in love with Mabudon. :kiss: Thanks for the healing vibe, my Canadian hockey-lovin' brotha.:D

Now on topic: weird how all the locking happened on gen. discussion - when things went off topic. We can try to treat the symptoms of the problem by announcing "Nice to DeadEye Day" which I see happening here, and that's great BUT it won't cure the real illness. For us to settle back into our routine of information sharing and good natured monkeying around we need to identify the problems and solve them. Here is the big one, and I can't think of any others:

Don't post in a thread unless:

a) you have something you think is informative to add, ON TOPIC!!
b) want to ask a question about the topic
c) have something hilarious to add.

Gererally speaking posts like, "It sucks" or that are composed of one big quote with a smiley inserted display no knowledge of any topic - only a bad attitude. I don't know how many of these posts I've had to read. None of them have ever told me anything about the topic at hand. Of course, article c) above may allow for posting in the above chastised manner - hilarity is subjective to your sense of humour.

If you feel attacked, maybe it should be dealt with via email or PM. How did a thread about "Eight Legged Freaks" get closed yesterday? People off topic. Now there's a movie that many of us have probably been considering shelling out to see. I like peoples' reviews here because I know we're operating on a common baseline - we like Star Wars. I have some belief that our taste in movies would be at least somewhat similar along sci fi lines as a result. Were I looking for a review of that movie, Id have to sort through 3 or 4 pages of flames to see it. Not worth the effort, unfortunately.

I wish us luck. Ive been involved in other forums, NONE are fun like this one. Consider everyone your friend. Post accordingly. Think before you post. Im sure now, that I've been guilty of everything that I've badmouthed above. But Im going to try not to be from this point on. We really don't want to lose this section and we REALLY don't want to lose these forums. That much I KNOW we have in common. Soapboxes for sale! Good, used soapboxes going cheap!!

billfremore
07-26-2002, 02:31 PM
Hear, Hear JJR!

Let the flaming cease.
Let the love reign.

So anybody wanna argue over what the title of EPIII will be? :D

mabudonicus
07-26-2002, 02:39 PM
Thanks JJ:)!! Trust a guy with reason in his username to put up such a well thought out post. That's the stuff I was hoping to elicit from everyone.
Jonna- I wasn't talking about you at all, bro. Trust me, (and I have seen that you are the same), to quote sledge hammer, "Oh, no, if I had a problem with you, you'd know it:)"
I was just trying to be emphatic that this thread must not be closed, for any reason. This thread is the first thread of the rest of our lives... or, at least, something like that.
I urge everybody to listen to reason. JJreason, in fact. His post is the most instructional, useful guideline yet (And trust me, I'm not saying this cause I'm flattered). It should be added to the respect other forum users rights section, and should be the guideline by which situations like the one we've had lately are judged. It doesn't matter when someone signed up(and I am NOT flaming you, Deadeye), who they are IRL, how old they are, their post count or ANYTHING else. Respect is the bottom line, and to exercise respect, one must exercise judgement.
Never forget to ask yourself "what am I trying to accomplish with this post", cause the mods have to decide intent if they're gonna do their job right, and their job is hard enough. If nothing else, resapect them and we'll all be fine.
Gotta go and ride my bike. Peace, everybody.

Jonna
07-26-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by mabudon

Jonna- I wasn't talking about you at all, bro. Trust me, (and I have seen that you are the same), to quote sledge hammer, "Oh, no, if I had a problem with you, you'd know it:)"

You are to paranoid! I'm just playing with you. It's like pulling a girl's hair on the playground in kindergarden.

AVOID THE NOID!:eek:

derek
07-26-2002, 05:19 PM
i thought a certain someone was leaving...........oh, well, there is enough room for everyone i guess..............but as a general rule, if your signature is longer than your post, you are a post padder.

Lobito
07-26-2002, 05:31 PM
Just respect...thats all, respecting what others post is a way to go, if we dont agree, we say that we dont agree but at the same time we say we respect what the other forumite has posted. The point here is NOT to convince everyone that what we post is the truth.

Let it be....John Lenon
To be or not to be...Shakespeare
To be is to do....Some guy
Do be do be doooooooo.....Scooby Doo
Yaba dabah dooooooooo.....Fred
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!....Jonna

Peace my friends!!

QLD
07-26-2002, 06:20 PM
EVERYTHING I POST IS THE TRUTH! IF YOU THINK OTHERWISE YOU'D BETTER WATCH OUT! I AM REAL ULTIMATE POWER!

DeadEye
07-26-2002, 06:44 PM
Yeah....right...:rolleyes:

wedgeA
07-26-2002, 07:51 PM
QLD,

If I may add to your proclamation, I believe a great thespian/philosopher once said "I AM THE LAW!!".

QLD
07-26-2002, 07:56 PM
THAT WAS THE NOTORIOUSLY BRILLIANT PROFESSOR SLY. He's my hero. He has REAL ULTIMATE POWER! Just like I do!

See, everything I say is right, just like the above statement.

wedgeA
07-26-2002, 08:17 PM
QLD,

YOU'RE THE MAN NOW DOG!!

QLD
07-26-2002, 08:26 PM
YEAH!!!!!!!! I AM THE LIZARD KING!!!!!!!!!

Deoxyribonucleic
07-26-2002, 08:47 PM
I agree with all those who feel we should just be nice and not get our nickers in a bunch...remember, we never REALLY know who we are trading figs with :)

Good thread! :)

DarthBrandon
07-26-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleic
I agree with all those who feel we should just be nice and not get our nickers in a bunch...remember, we never REALLY know who we are trading figs with :)

Good thread! :)

True, oh how true. What's up Deoxyribonucleic? Just thought I'd say hi.:)

Jargo
07-26-2002, 09:06 PM
No. I disagree with all of you. Let the blood letting commence and may the best bastard win!

*Jargo adds all those who responded to this thread to his ignore list...*

QLD
07-26-2002, 09:14 PM
Hey Jargo, guess what!

Dar' Argol
07-26-2002, 10:51 PM
Geez!! It think it was "Full Moon Fever" last night and I'm sorta glad I was not here!!

It is a very simple concept here in this thread. To post without hate. It can be done. If you make a post and think, Take that, it probably is not a "friendly" post.

It is hard enough sifting through all of these posts, making sure everything is "on topic" without hitting a snag like JT had to tackle last night. JT, sorry I wasn't here to help man:(.

The words of Mabudon, SAWFMAN, JJReason, JJB, and the others who have addressed this issue(no offence to everyone else, I can't think of all the names invovled) nail down what needs to be done in order to smoothly run these boards. I know I have been at fault in the past. What we need to do is make a pact!!

Stands on the chair

No longer will the Flame wars continue!! No more will forumites be attacked! We will not stand for it!! We, the forumites of SSG, will treat our fellow posts as brother, comrades, chums!! This is our pact, this is our mission!! This is our . . . . . . . don't look at me like that:crazed:

I wanna return my soapbox:D

Darth Nihilus
07-26-2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Dar' Argol
I wanna return my soapbox:D

I thought you were standing on a chair.:confused: :p

QLD
07-26-2002, 11:34 PM
Well, I think a chair counts as a soapbox, I mean, when is the last time you actually saw a real soapbox?

2-1B
07-26-2002, 11:39 PM
Just last night actually, while finishing up my new soapbox racer . . . the big race is tomorrow morning, wish me luck! :)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-27-2002, 12:24 AM
I don't think that these little 'flame wars' that have been popping up here and there are enough to scare away any new forum members rather what may are some of the posts that I have read recently. Some are so downright bizarre.

(And there's nothing absolutely wrong with that):crazed:

QLD
07-27-2002, 02:29 AM
How Bizarre.....how bizzare.....

:D

Eternal Padawan
07-27-2002, 03:47 AM
Soapboxes are usually made out of cardboard nowadays and are really hard to stand on without caving them in. Unless they are still full of soap, then they're extremely unwieldy to lug around.

Another excellent reason to avoid getting threads closed. THOSE DARN MODERATORS ALWAYS GET THE LAST WORD :mad:

JT or DA'll come in here and be all "blah blah blah...THREAD CLOSED!" And I'll be all "Hey, I wanted to comment on your last comment." but I can't. Why? Because it's THREAD CLOSED! :mad:

As for all you newbies, I would like to extend a laurel and hardy handshake to you and know that a basket of duct tape and your choice of a Jar Jar Binks or Malikili action figure is waiting for anyone that asks.

And if you ever see anything typed in red or certain forum members making odd comments like WEEEEEEE! or "I have real ultimate power! I'm gonna flip out and cut off heads!" or even the occassional trailing off in despair...

rest assured, you ARE out of the loop. ;) :)

:Pirate: Arrrrrrrrrrgh.

ROLLO!

wedgeA
07-27-2002, 06:57 AM
Same as it ever was, same as it ever was...

Jargo
07-27-2002, 07:35 AM
lalalalalala I can't hear you lalalalalalalalalalalal......... :rolleyes:

QLD
07-27-2002, 12:08 PM
I LOVE THESE FORUMS WITH ALL OF MY BODY, EVEN MY HEART

2-1B
07-27-2002, 01:11 PM
jjreason
How did a thread about "Eight Legged Freaks" get closed yesterday?

Closed? It's still open! :)

Actually, a better question would be, "how did a thread about Eight Legged Freaks get to an 11th page ? ? ?" :rolleyes:
:D

Advice to new forumites - if you see that a thread about a movie like Arac Atack Eight Legged Freaks has reached 11 pages, no need to hedge the bet that it's gotten wayyyyyyyyyyy off topic. :D

Thumb Wars
07-28-2002, 02:29 PM
i kinda feel bad . . . . . . it seems that it may have been my hasty post out of anger and frustration that may have started this whole ordeal. i realized later that night that i should not have posted it, but i had a really bad day, and reading a few posts, it caught me at a bad time. i nknow this sounds like an excuse of why i did what i did, but i had enough. i wish to apologize for this whole "war" that erupted and hope that this may not be counted against my persona here. i really am a nice guy, i just "lost my cool" that night.

here's a big group hug for all.

Eternal Padawan
07-28-2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
I LOVE THESE FORUMS WITH ALL OF MY BODY, EVEN MY HEART

Tee hee. Nice edit QLD.

New forumites! Welcome aboard! Feel free to start meaningless new threads with titles like "I'm new here!" and "This is my first thread!" We love those.

ROLLO!

2-1B
07-28-2002, 02:51 PM
Yes, plus we could really use a 4th "Eminem's new album" thread, so . . . Chop Chop! :)

Thumb Wars, I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, but since you mentioned it I'll be sure to keep a mistrusting eye on you in the future! :D :p

jet chan
07-28-2002, 03:16 PM
hi i'm kinda new and just wanted to say hi and even though i've noticed in my short time here some moaning and groaning i still have a good time here but my only complaint is is that i wish i found this place sooner:D

jet chan
07-28-2002, 03:22 PM
oh i'd also like to add that i've not had any problems here just the opposite you've all been very friendly and i do enjoy some spirated conversations and seem to be lucky to have on the right threads:D

Eternal Padawan
07-28-2002, 04:44 PM
...the ri*ht threads? You mean like pants? Woo!

Con*ratulations on 75 posts. Now you can customize an avatar. may I su**est somethin* with David Hasslehoff in it?

ROLLO!

darthvyn
07-28-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
...the ri*ht threads? You mean like pants? Woo!

Con*ratulations on 75 posts. Now you can customize an avatar. may I su**est somethin* with David Hasslehoff in it?

well of course you may!!!

seriously, jet, if you are lookin* for any particular characters, or pics for a custom avatar, feel free to ask any of the many talented 'tarsmiths around the forums. they are usually happy to obli*e.

DeadEye
07-28-2002, 05:47 PM
Yeah. I'll oblige happily. :D

QLD
07-28-2002, 06:35 PM
Thanks EP!

I received another verbal warning about my choice of language. It had been edited to a period, but I decided to change it to something more meaningful, and PC, like HEART.

2-1B
07-28-2002, 06:47 PM
QLD, how does one receive a verbal warning here? :confused:

Does a mod call you at home? Does someone record his or her voice in said verbal warning and email/post it as a .wav or .something file? :D

QLD
07-28-2002, 09:00 PM
*smacks Caesar in the head*

Actually, it came in the form of a PM.

But I am sure if he could, he would call and yell at me if possible. :D

Beast
07-28-2002, 09:25 PM
You really know you're in trouble, if you see JT coming with the paddle. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
07-28-2002, 09:32 PM
Unfortunately, I wouldn't know it was him, because we don't know what he looks like! :eek:

jet chan
07-28-2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by darthvyn

well of course you may!!!

seriously, jet, if you are lookin* for any particular characters, or pics for a custom avatar, feel free to ask any of the many talented 'tarsmiths around the forums. they are usually happy to obli*e.
i'd love the help on the avatar considering i just figured out about a week or so ago how to do quotes and editing my posts ; well someone, i can't remeber who, told me how to edit but i did figure out the quote one on my own(of course if someone is willing and when or if figure out what i'd like):D

DeadEye
07-28-2002, 11:06 PM
Dude, I'll help you out with anything you need. Always a pleasure to meet a Jedi be of assistance. :D

jet chan
08-03-2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by DeadEye
Dude, I'll help you out with anything you need. Always a pleasure to meet a Jedi be of assistance. :D
sorry i took so long to respond been a very busy week:crazed:
anything you can do to help would be great:happy:
just hope i don't do this to you:crazed: ( i'm horrible on cumputers)