PDA

View Full Version : Gearing up for the next waves or clearing the pegs for good?

JEDIpartner
07-26-2002, 02:34 PM
I just stopped at my local K-Mart about 20 minutes ago. I walked back to the toys only to discover that there were NO Blue card figures on the pegs. They had a few role play items, card games, the unleashed figures and the nexu deluxe wave. The only figures they had left there were the Ketwol wave POTJ figures! :eek:

I could hardly believe my eyes! I have seen sparsely stocked pegs in order to reduce their inventory, but this was just amazing! Has anyone seen this occurance at any of their local retailers? I'm hoping they are just waiting for the next waves to hit the pegs! Yow!

DahrJin
07-26-2002, 02:54 PM
K'Mart had their big sale, last week wasn't it? And maybe their stock got depleted.

In my area, every store has pegs upon pegs of figures hangin'. Nothing too new, like the Anakin Tat. Attack, but figures O'plenty nontheless.

thespar
07-26-2002, 03:52 PM
sounds like my k mart wait that about how the stock level always look at my k mart nerve how many figrue expect after april when then new line came out heck when it comes to my collection have only bought three figrues there.

Mandalorian Candidat
07-26-2002, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
I just stopped at my local K-Mart about 20 minutes ago. I walked back to the toys only to discover that there were NO Blue card figures on the pegs. They had a few role play items, card games, the unleashed figures and the nexu deluxe wave. The only figures they had left there were the Ketwol wave POTJ figures! :eek:

I could hardly believe my eyes! I have seen sparsely stocked pegs in order to reduce their inventory, but this was just amazing! Has anyone seen this occurance at any of their local retailers? I'm hoping they are just waiting for the next waves to hit the pegs! Yow!

I don't use KMart as a yardstick to measure the overall availability of SW figures. Mine didn't have jack squat since April until this week's sale for some weird reason. Target and Wal-Mart seem to be getting the lion's share of new figures so unless you only have KMart in your area I wouldn't worry.

Dar' Argol
07-26-2002, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat

I don't use KMart as a yardstick to measure the overall availability of SW figures. Mine didn't have jack squat since April until this week's sale for some weird reason. Target and Wal-Mart seem to be getting the lion's share of new figures so unless you only have KMart in your area I wouldn't worry.

Plus, with the finacial(sp) woes that K-Mart is experiancing, they are not receiving as much product as everyone else. That, plus the sale let to a barren wasteland in K-Mart's aisle.

Heck, even my WM is getting low!!! Since we price matched on the K-Mart sale, we got hit hard as well, b/c we had all the new stuff;). But i don't think that the recent empty pegs in any sign of a pull out so to speak:D

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-27-2002, 12:49 AM
My local Wally-Mart was doing rather well on selling Saga figs, even those pesky earlier peg cloggers such as Kit Fisto, C-3PO.

But this week they innundated the pegs with gobs of the Han Solo Endor Raid Wave plus the Djas Wave. And I mean innundated. They never had an endcap of SW stuff until this week. Over the weekend they put out a bunch of the wave. I went Monday with my K-mart ad in hand and hoped to pick up a Chewbacca and some army builders (battle droids, clone troopers). Instead they had tons of the Solo wave minus Chewied (no surprise). I settled on a Djas, Dex, and Massif.

When I went today they put out even more of the Djas and Solo waves. They had tons of Chewies too but I couldn't afford to get one even though I really wanted to open one (damn Luke X-wing's financial constraint). Where was he Monday when I had my K-mart ad?

Dar' Argol
07-27-2002, 01:19 AM
Like I said somewhere in an eariler post, when WM gets figs in, it looks like someone puked them all over the toy dept:D. The thing is that they(WM) does not like to have a lot of stuff in the backroom, and if they know something will sell well, they will put as much as possible out to get rid of it. Hence the "Puking" effect:D

rynobot
07-27-2002, 04:11 AM
disgusting this puking effect is, but better then releasing them one case a day, then we'd (we being the comman customer) never see the figures (ala Yoder).

SuperBattleDroid88
07-27-2002, 10:13 AM
What sale at K Mart?

Darth forb1us
07-27-2002, 10:37 AM
$3.99/each on the 3 3/4 figures
I forgot all about it and after I hit walmart in a couple minutes, Im gonna check to see if it's still on :confused:

Jayspawn
07-27-2002, 11:45 AM
I don't think that Kmart will ever 'not carry' Star Wars toys as long as they are made.

My Kmarts have a way of overstocking everything that everybody already has and then carry nothing but that for months on end, with occasional new things here and there.

Lord Tenebrous
07-27-2002, 02:32 PM
The sale was $3.49, July 21-22 only.

And Kmart isn't viewing Star Wars as a cash cow. They'll get new stuff, but just enough for their share of customers. Unlike, say, Walmart, who seems to think every store merits a stock that would satisfy a city like Atlanta.

Darth forb1us
07-27-2002, 03:52 PM
yeah unfortunately missed out on this one.. ah well. Every Kmart here had diddly so I would not have scored big. Good thing walmart has layaway, will get my army builders that way :)

Darth Vellner
07-27-2002, 05:17 PM
HOLY CR@P!!!!People.....you complain when a store does not have a lot of figures, you complain when a store has too many figures , when you find the figures you want you complain about the paint job (we all see the paint job's on the figures ..so your not telling us something we don't know) or the bent package or the high price you HAD to pay(don't buy from scalpers) to get them
MAN O MAN what a fun hobby
When I look back (started collecting in late 96-97) I have got almost all the figures I wanted(not always when I wanted them)...over 300 carded and maybe 400 loose figures (not including Vintage collection)......and with all the sales and price breakes over all I did not pay too much for any!
If a store sucks dont go to it, If its the only store around,I'm sorry. ......but dont tell us about it, We all have stores that suck near us also. I have gone to 6 or 8 store a day for a week and found nothing!! .....Why tell you?? ("things are tough all over" at times)You will find it!! You found that other stuff right??..........I'm not mad at anyone this is just a reminder we all strike out sometimes but letting us know just makes it seem glum all over. Just tell us "The good news!!"...... AMEN. ;)

Lord Tenebrous
07-27-2002, 05:42 PM
If you wanted us to listen, you could have not spammed the same message in three threads...

Beast
07-27-2002, 05:46 PM
Well said, Lord Tenebrous. I take that the same way as when someone just posts that somthing "sucks" without stating any facts to back up their opinion. I just don't listen to, or put any trust in their opinion. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Vellner
07-27-2002, 06:03 PM
SORRY.........that WAS overdoing it .......my point was it sucks when people post how much it sucks......I guess I was just one of them ...that sucks!....I am sorry ...I am for real.....sorry:cry:

bigbarada
07-27-2002, 11:14 PM
Don't sweat it, Vellner.

I went to my Wal-Mart today and they have all the Collection 1 figures on sale for $3.50 each! Only Collection 1 though, as the Collection 2 are still $4.77.

They also got a HUGE new shipment of the FOTR toys, what's going on Dar?:confused:

Beast
07-27-2002, 11:20 PM
From what I understand about the FOTR toys, BigB. The sales of the toys weren't as great as the company hoped, and they are gonna try to cash in with the DVD/VHS release August 6th. It's just the usual marketing gimmick. People come in to pick up the DVD or VHS, and oh look....FOTR's toys! :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

dr_evazan22
07-27-2002, 11:33 PM
I don't mean to sound like a snob, or elitist, but I avoid Kmart at all costs.

That said, I was in a Kmart 2 weeks ago (my ambulance partner wanted to buy a pair of work pants) and checked out the toy aisle. I think there were 1 or 2 SW items in the aisle. I couldn't believe it and checked EVERY toy aisle. ZIP!

So I walked over to the mens dept where my partner was.

Smack in the middle of the main aisle, in front of the mens dept, on the opposite side of the store from toys, was the SW display!

I wonder what made them think they would get better sales in that remote location?

bigbarada
07-28-2002, 01:05 AM
Yep, the SW display in my K-Mart was in the women's section, right between the underwear and make-up aisles. What could they have possibly been thinking by deciding to put it there? Maybe they figured that it would get more attention when moms drag their kids to the store with them and refuse to go to the toy aisle. On second thought, that was pretty smart.

I kind of figured that was the case with the FOTR toys, JarJar. I think Toy Biz is making the same mistake as Hasbro in releasing new versions of characters so soon after the original versions. Oh well, at least this way I can get that cool new Gimli figure, and the second wave of 12"ers isn't half bad either. Much better than that first wave.

Old Fossil
07-28-2002, 08:53 AM
Bigbarada, what FOTR toys did you find at Wal-Mart? I'm hoping to find the new Bilbo Baggins figure.

Thumb Wars
07-28-2002, 01:49 PM
i saw them too, Big Barada! it was some kind of Troll or something right. does this mean with the release of the movie, they are going to be re-releaseing the figures again??? i hope so because i really wanted to pick up a Ring Wraith! I think those are on the the coolest figures i've seen in a long time.

hango fett
07-28-2002, 02:01 PM
i don't even know why k-mart has figures anymore. they have very small display areas and half the time have like 5 figures in it!
bad k-mart!
hango fettx2:mad:

dr_evazan22
07-28-2002, 09:21 PM
Thumb Wars- I saw at TRU a Ring Wraith or a Wraith King or something. I wasn't paying that close attention, since I don't collect them, but I wanted to see how they did it w/ no face or head.

Mandalorian Candidat
07-29-2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
From what I understand about the FOTR toys, BigB. The sales of the toys weren't as great as the company hoped, and they are gonna try to cash in with the DVD/VHS release August 6th. It's just the usual marketing gimmick. People come in to pick up the DVD or VHS, and oh look....FOTR's toys! :)

I was talking to the toy dept. mgr. at my local TRU and he mentioned that either this week or next week they'll be tearing down the SW display and replacing it with LOTR stuff. At first I thought it was all new stuff but it seems that the manufacturer has so much stuff due to dismal sales that they're doing another merchanside push. If you check out KB or TRU you'll see that they've been restocking their LOTR pegs with all kinds of stuff that I've never seen before just because they were so HTF the first go round.

Now the question is where are they going to put all those figures once they downsize the display? Me thinks the smell of clearance is in the air...

Darth forb1us
07-29-2002, 03:58 PM
I've noticed at one of the TRU's that the LOTR's stock has been swelling a bit (on a back wall of the front of the figure area)
however this particular stores SW display is BAM! right there as soon as you walk in, so the two area's in mention are on opposite sides of the store.

clearance you say.. hmm would be great for army building as I'm about to take the big dive into it soon. Although, this could be bad as well.
Clearance collection 1 & 2 means less stock of collection 3?
:dead: not good, especially with all the scalpers that nail this store here. (one of which I work with, and told the employee's about him, so they watch him like a hawk and if he grabs an arseload, will perhaps limit him to how much he buys.

he bought up all the yoda's and other hard to find's and sells them at his fleamarket stand for $20 each. :mad: .. sad thing? People are actually paying him $20.......
good thing I have what I need for moc's or I'd be kicking his @$$.