PDA

View Full Version : What other He-Man characters deserve new figures?

El Chuxter
07-26-2002, 06:44 PM
So far we have:

He-Man (X3)
Skeletor (X2)
Battle Cat
Panthor
Man At Arms
Stratos
Teela
Orko
Mekanek
Ram Man
Beast Man
Mer Man
Whiplash
Triclops
Trap Jaw

Who else do you want Mattel and the Four Horsemen to tackle?

First, Evil Lyn! We can't forget her! Nor can we leave out Sorceress.

Hordak would look pretty wicked done in the new style, as would Cobra Khan. Ninjor, Jitsu, and Blade might be sweet, too, and the Four Horsemen might even be able to pull off Man-E-Faces.

And for my weird idea, Faker. He was supposed to be an imperfect evil duplicate of He-Man. So do him not as an exact duplicate only in blue, but as a completely warped version of He-Man. I'm talking claws, protruding veins, five o'clock shadow, broken sword, slightly disproportionate body, sharp teeth, crazed expression, wild hair, maybe even a touch of drool.

Who else?

Lman316
07-26-2002, 07:01 PM
It's been so long, I really can't remember a lot of characters. The few I did remember, you already tackled, El Chuxter.
The only other that I can think of, has been a constant "joke" with Toyfare magazine. They keep saying stuff along the lines: "What if Fisto from He-Man was in Star Wars instead of Kit Fisto?" So, I'd have to go with Fisto.
This is my childhood here (the 80's), so I'd want to see just about everything re-made. The only figure I don't have from the current releases (not counting the Deluxe) is Mer-Man. My Wally World sold out of them, and now they don't even have a place for them. As soon as I get some more money, I will have to hunt down a Battle Cat and Panthor and the Deluxe (just for the heck of it).

Oh, oh, wait, I just thought of something typing this! How about Stinkor?! We need him remade! And I'd really like to see how they'd do the stench this time. Yep. I want a Stinkor.

Let's do it!

End...:D.

Beast
07-26-2002, 09:10 PM
Stinkor would be cool. I'm only chiming in cause I remember that figure so well. Him and the snake guy that you could put water in, was it King Hiss? Both those need to be made. They were 2 of my favorite figures. A scale Orko would be nice as well, instead of the giant one that the old series had. :eek: :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Nihilus
07-26-2002, 10:54 PM
Kobra Khan was the squirting figure JJB. Also there already is a newly scaled Orko, here's a pic

http://www.he-man.org/toys/orko_new_press.shtml

With new figures the ones I really want to see made are: She-Ra and Hordak. I think most other figures will be revisited at some point.

Based on some educated speculation I think we can expect to see in the future: Clawful, Prince Adam, King Randor, The Sorceress, Evil-Lyn, Buzz Off, Keldor (Skeletor's original identity) and possibly Queen Marlena.

Wolfwood319
07-26-2002, 11:20 PM
I want a new Snake Mountain as well. I picked up some new figs today, and they f'n rock.

Stinkor would be cool, and I like that Idea for Faker. Other cool ones would be Prince Adam and his parents. Clawful and Zodak would be cool too.

Beast
07-26-2002, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Darth Nihilus
Kobra Khan was the squirting figure JJB. Also there already is a newly scaled Orko, here's a pic

http://www.he-man.org/toys/orko_new_press.shtml

With new figures the ones I really want to see made are: She-Ra and Hordak. I think most other figures will be revisited at some point.

Based on some educated speculation I think we can expect to see in the future: Clawful, Prince Adam, King Randor, The Sorceress, Evil-Lyn, Buzz Off, Keldor (Skeletor's original identity) and possibly Queen Marlena.
Thanks Darth Nihilus, I forgot what the name of the figure was. Good lord, why are they making Orko so huge? He never was that tall in the cartoon series. I think they need to scale him down a little more.

Keldor was Skeletor's original identity? I don't recall that at all, I don't remember it from any of the cartoons. Was it in one of the pack in comics with the figures, or somthing? Care to enlighten me, exactly who the heck is Keldor?

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
07-27-2002, 01:57 AM
Moss Man! One of my favorites, I'd love to have this master of camouflage redone. A lot of the ones mentioned above are pretty good choices, but I gotta go with Moss Man. Oh, and Leech, any figure with suction cups is good in my book.

Funny, but NEVER have I EVER wanted a resculpted Orko... ok, that's not entirely true, I wanted an Orko w/ removable hat and underneath is a head similar to Hamburger-head Spawn. :D (wasn't that a ToyFare gag?)

2-1B
07-27-2002, 02:13 AM
Stinkor, Fisto, Spikor would all be great, as well as Clawful and Moss Man.

How about Cyclone? Only without the goofy thing on his chest . . .

Those rock guys, the transforming rocks - what were they called? Okay, I don't really want to see them on the pegs, but I want to know their names. :D

Trap Jaw was my fave as a kid, I LOVED rigging a string and flying him down thru that little hitch on his helmet. :D
Imagine my heartbreak when it broke. :cry:

Blade (?) from the movie would be cool, I say that seriously because Mattell did do a few movie figures . . . may as well incorporate a few into the new line - but not Billy Barty's character. :D

Maybe He-Ro ? Wasn't he one of the rarest vintage figs? :confused:

Darth Nihilus
07-27-2002, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Keldor was Skeletor's original identity? I don't recall that at all, I don't remember it from any of the cartoons. Was it in one of the pack in comics with the figures, or somthing? Care to enlighten me, exactly who the heck is Keldor?

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Skeletor formerly being called Keldor was hinted at in a pack in comic called 'The Search for Keldor'. It starts off with King Randor saying he wanted to find his missing brother (Keldor). Skeletor, watching through a crystal ball says that they must never discover the truth to Keldor or it could destroy him.

That was the only hint given at the time. Though a staff writer on those mini's did say that's where they wanted to go at the time, unfortunately that's around the same time they cancelled the original toyline and it was never further explored.

However, according to the original cartoon series 'bible', Skeletor was supposed to be a demon from another dimension with no specific origin. This highlighted a problem with MOTU, there was never a specific canon to follow. The DC/Star/Marvel comics contradicted each other, the cartoon contradicted the comics and at times its own 'bible'.

But in the new series it has been confirmed by Michael Young Production (the creators of the new show) that Skeletor will be revealed as Keldor. What has not been said is whether or not Keldor will be Adam's/He-Man's uncle as they were originally intending to write.

A lot of people have cried foul over the Star Wars inspired familial treachery device, but I like it a hell of a lot more than 'nameless demon from another dimension who is evil for evil's sake'.

Darth Nihilus
07-27-2002, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Funny, but NEVER have I EVER wanted a resculpted Orko... ok, that's not entirely true, I wanted an Orko w/ removable hat and underneath is a head similar to Hamburger-head Spawn. :D (wasn't that a ToyFare gag?)

Fear and Loathing in Eternia - Toyfare #46 2001. That was hilarious. X-Entertainment also has some really good MOTU satire on its site.

Maybe He-Ro ? Wasn't he one of the rarest vintage figs?
That's an understatement considering he never actually got made. Around 87/88 Mattel planned to introduce a spin off toyline called "The Powers of Grayskull". It was supposed to center around the adventures of He-Ro and his mentor Eldor. Some dinosaur vehicles were released but that's as far as it got before Mattel cancelled the MOTU line altogether. Oh yeah, the premise was that it took place in Pre-Eternia, before He-Man.

Those rock guys, the transforming rocks - what were they called? Okay, I don't really want to see them on the pegs, but I want to know their names

Rokkon and Stonedar. After seeing what the 4HM have achieved so far they can remake any character they like as far as I'm concerned.:)

Trap Jaw was my fave as a kid, I LOVED rigging a string and flying him down thru that little hitch on his helmet.

Don't know if you've seen this or not. http://www.he-man.org/toys/trapjaw_new_front.shtml

Moss Man! One of my favorites, I'd love to have this master of camouflage redone

That's a strong possibility. One pattern the redesigns have followed is that most of the re-releases have already been made. He-Man (duh), Skeletor (duh), Trap Jaw, Tri-Klops, Beastman, Merman, Man-at-Arms, Teela, Stratos and Whiplash have been redone. Also Evil-Lyn is in the new toon, as is Buzz-Off (there's an episode titled Buzz Off's Pride), Prince Adam and Clawful. The only ones we haven't seen so far are - Faker and Zodac. This is relevant as Moss-Man was the exclusive in the 2nd 5-pack, so I think his reappearance is almost a given.

Whew

thespar
07-29-2002, 03:59 PM
as long as the 4h keep up the good work that they did with the 1st one and mattel keep them on the payrol they can make who ever they what next but i will love to see a new clawful.

evenflow
07-29-2002, 04:44 PM
Evil Lyn
Sorcerus
Moss Man
Hordak
She-Ra
Prince Adam
Faker

RooJay
07-29-2002, 06:34 PM
Here's my list:

Roboto
Moss Man
Stinkor
Zodac (my favorite of the old line!)
Faker (who doesn't want this guy?! I think I might like him to look a little...more...like He-Man. I don't think anyone would've been terribly "faked" out by the original version considering his blue skin, orange hair, and the fact that he was wearing an orange version of Skeletor's armor! :confused: I'm think' a removeable face with cool robot stuff underneath, some circuitry under his armor, maybe a little subtle circuitry sculpted onto his skin, and some interchangeable weapon arms! Then again...maybe the bizarreness [not a real word, but it works!] of the original was it's biggest charm!)
Man-E-Faces (the coolest)
Evil Lyn
Battle Armor He-man and Skeletor (with the original gimmicks!)
Jitsu
Fisto (c'mon! He had a GIANT METAL FIST!)
Clawful
Two-Bad
Modulok
Hordak
Snout Spout (who doesn't like big, robotic, humanoid elephant warriors?!)
Stonedar and Rokkon
The Sorceress
Horde Troopers
Scare Glow (wouldn't he be cool if he were redesigned to look like a glow-in-the-dark Skeleton Warrior figure?)
Blade (the only cool character introduced in that pitiful excuse for a movie)
Tytus and Megator (the two absolute coolest figures from the original line that were never released stateside. Maybe we'll get lucky this time around!)
King Randor and Prince Adam (just based on the new history on the back of the packages, I can't wait to see the new redesign for Adam. Maybe we'll get a really cool lookin' Randor too. I was never that happy that the original was as buffed out as he was.)

jonboy
07-29-2002, 09:35 PM
I agree with RooJay, Blade is the coolest character in that HORRIBLE slaughtering of the MOTU name!!! He is the best character in my book. He needs to be made.

BoShek
07-29-2002, 11:26 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing these figures from the He-Man line:
Slush Head
Flogg
Quake

Now they're some obscure characters!

As far as the Moss Man being hard to find (on another thread), he didn't warm the pegs in my area at all. In fact, he has darn hard to find. My mother talked a drug store employee into selling her one that was on lay-a-way.

Darth Nihilus
07-30-2002, 06:38 AM
I don't think there's much chance of those characters appearing BoShek, New Adventures is being pretty hidden towards the back of the cupboard (where it belongs;) )

Jayspawn
07-30-2002, 05:03 PM
I really want Moss Man and King Randor made! And Moss Man needs to have that green fuz!

Darth Shifty
07-31-2002, 03:07 PM
What about Cringer? I don't think they ever made one, did they? If they're going to make Prince Adam they have to make his trusty sidekick C-C-C-Cringer.

thespar
07-31-2002, 03:14 PM
wiht the orginal he-man if you took the armor off battle cat you had cringer. as far with the new ones i do not.

BoShek
07-31-2002, 11:16 PM
I know that those characters will be forgoten but what they heck, maybe some suggestions to Mattel can get the gears going.

Darth Nihilus
08-01-2002, 08:51 AM
Yeah...but it I mean it's NA!!!!:confused: :D

JON9000
08-01-2002, 07:32 PM
Roboto and Man-E-Faces.

howsabout some vehicles? The Battle Ram and the Attack Track!

JetsAndHeels
08-01-2002, 07:57 PM
This is not related to the toys, but can you buy episodes of the MOTU cartoon anywhere? Could I go to Best Buy or Suncoast and get them or would I have to resort to Ebay??

Beast
08-01-2002, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by JangoFett96
This is not related to the toys, but can you buy episodes of the MOTU cartoon anywhere? Could I go to Best Buy or Suncoast and get them or would I have to resort to Ebay??
MOTU is owned by the Hallmark Entertainment Group, so as of yet there is no DVD or VHS currently available. It used to be avaliable on VHS, but from looking at Amazon.com, they all seem to have been discontinued. As none are in stock, and the only ones for sale are in the used section from sellers there.

Cartoon Network tried to get the rights to show the series, but Hallmark is very very particuler how they license their shows. You have to buy the whole catalog of their cartoons, to be able to show that one. And some of the cartoons they own, are real stinkers. But, I have heard info from people in the DVD industry, that Hallmark may start releasing the series on DVD. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JON9000
08-02-2002, 12:25 AM
I remember walking in on my brother when he was about six years old when he was pointing a toy sword at our cat, ostensibly to turn her into Battlecat. I teased him mercilessly for that. Sorry, just had to lay down a He-Man story.

2-1B
08-02-2002, 12:43 AM
Nicely played Darth Nihilus ! :D

I'm glad they gave Ram Man a fair shake this time, I hated the vintage figure, it was just too out of line . . . kinda like Orko. ;)

Binks, I hope you're right about a DVD release!

Hey, what did they call those toy birds? I remember a purple one . . . can't think of a name.
And that spider walker was awesome !

JediTricks
08-02-2002, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by JON9000
Roboto and Man-E-Faces.

howsabout some vehicles? The Battle Ram and the Attack Track! There are already several vehicles out, though none yet are remakes. He-Man has a neat-looking bird vehicle for $12.99, I came real close to buying it at TRU last week. There's also the "Battle Beetle" which reminds me a little of the classic "Bashasaurus" (not that I liked that toy, just that I remember it). Personally, I'd definitely go for a new Battle Ram, that was easily my favorite classic vehicle (though some of the walkers were cool too).

Darth Nihilus
08-02-2002, 04:29 AM
I'd say a DVD/VHS release is inevitable with the resurgence of the property and the inclusion of original series eps with the Deluxe toys and the Wal-Mart exclusives, the opportunity is there to be taken.

Are you talking about the vintage birds Caesar? They were Zoar (good bird) and Screech (bad bird). Or there are the new ones - Battle Hawk and Terrordactyl, which have similar color schemes to the originals. I'm surprised you asked about the "spider walker", don't forget which toyline we're talking about here, it was called Spydor.

Oh and get this, at the SDCC some of the new figures announced for next year include SAMURAI variations on He-Man, Skeletor and Man-at-Arms. WTF???:crazed:

2-1B
08-02-2002, 04:42 AM
Look at this guy, he's clutch ! :D

Yep, Zoar and Screech! (the latter not to be confused with Dustin Diamond ;) )

Ah yes, Spydor - very clever name!

Remember Battle Bones, the figure carryall? Until a few years ago, I still had one in my possession. :(
Not much to it, but at least it made for a fun organizer. :)

JetsAndHeels
08-02-2002, 12:37 PM
Anyways, the tapes that come with the new deluxe figures have one episode of the cartoon on them. I watched one last night. It was so cool to go back and re-live some of those moments I remember as a child. The tape itself is enough incentive for me to buy the deluxe figures, as long as they keep making them.

Darth Nihilus
08-02-2002, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
Remember Battle Bones, the figure carryall? Until a few years ago, I still had one in my possession. :(
Not much to it, but at least it made for a fun organizer. :)

I used to have that too, I thought it was pretty cool, hold some figures and accessories as well. I pretty much liked all the vehicles I had: Battle Ram, Stridor, Nightstalker, Roton. Eh, I'm sure I've missed some there.

Man I miss my collection, but unfortunately I became one of those teens that had to get rid of their childish possessions. Damn mistake IMO

Darth Nihilus
08-03-2002, 11:25 AM
For those hoping for the old shows to be put onto DVD, apparently a Mattel rep confirmed at the Comicon that this was indeed happening, they also said the new show would quickly be transferred onto DVD.

It was also hinted that Stinkor and Webstor would be featured in the new show, pretty much making them shoo-ins for new figures.

BoShek
08-03-2002, 09:25 PM
Stinkor and Webstor?

Awesome! I had a feeling about Webstor but Stinkor? What great news!

Beast
08-04-2002, 03:49 AM
If you want to read all that was said at Comic Con about the new series, the new toys, and the upcoming DVD release, here is a link to He-Man.org's forums, that has a list of what was announced. :)

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?threadid=18285

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Nihilus
08-04-2002, 10:00 AM
Aw Jar Jar, how am I gonna look the like the resident SSG MOTU pro if you're gonna give away my source?;)

Oh muy, muy, itsa looks likesa someone besa lurking.

So, who can pick me from the responses in that thread.:D

Beast
08-04-2002, 04:39 PM
Picked up Skeletor today at Wal-Mart after seeing the movie Signs. Excellent figure, with some really nice detailing. It was the only figure they had though. Other then 1 Deluxe Skeletor and 2 Deluxe He-man's. Guess I will have to keep an eye out. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
08-04-2002, 05:27 PM
I've only seen figures.com's coverage of MOTU at SDCC but what I've seen looks pretty good for the most part. The Samurai line looks ok, a bit too much like what it is though - a line cobbled together from the original He-Man, Skeletor, and Man-at-Arms. Orko looks bigger than I thought... but I'll buy every Snarf figure off ebay before I buy this new Orko. :D ;) The vehicles look bland, sadly. Teela looks like she has a removable breastplate, I hope that's NOT the case unless she's dressed underneath or this is gonna be another "inappropriate collectors" moment. All in all, I wanna see more new characters (and not so bulked-out like Trap Jaw and Man-at-Arms, I think those 2 are way over the top). Oh, and the new "Beast Riders" beast Raptor looks really good and effective as an enemy beast - I just hope they fill in his currently-open and hollow legs.

Beast
08-04-2002, 05:39 PM
4H and Mattel said they are going to stick with Classic Charecters for now JT, and then maybe new charecters later on. I know they wanna do Stinkor, Moss Man, Sorceress, and Evil-Lynn next year, among others. :) Sadly, the reason the vehicles don't look as good is the figures, is because 4H isn't doing the vehicle sculpts. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Nihilus
08-04-2002, 10:34 PM
With the exception of Samurai Skeletor the whole samurai theme looks terrible. I certainly hope they at least change the Samurai tag to something that fits better within the MOTUverse.

The fight packs look alright but the pictures currently floating around are a bit unclear.

What was disappointing is that apart from the Samurai figs no new figures were shown, only the ones we already knew were being made and they were announced at the Comic-Con a year ago.

Beast
08-05-2002, 02:02 AM
Darth Nihilus, I think from what I read they are using the Deluxe line as sort of a "Legends of Batman" line, or that Spawn line that was Spawn's from different eras. Just consider them EU versions of He-Man and Friends. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Nihilus
08-05-2002, 02:36 AM
The way I see the deluxe figs is along the lines of the original character variants. Back then there were updates of He-Man and Skeletor in every wave but they were at least thematically relevant (for the most part).

With the Samurai Spawn line those characters had a story given to them that was acceptable. These designs for MOTU have no relevance, they are a cheap cash in on what is perceived to be the popular thing.

Now that said, I am firmly reserving my final judgement for until they are released. I've already been forced to eat humble pie over my initial thoughts on re-launch figures.:p

2-1B
08-05-2002, 02:49 AM
"snarf, snarf", who's Webstor? :confused: I'll have a look around . . .

I have a question though, how do you think they will approach Evil-Lyn - with or without yellow skin?

Beast
08-05-2002, 02:58 AM
Caesar, from what I have seen of the new cartoon she has pale yellow skin. Not really bright yellow like the old cartoon. So I am sure they will give her pale yellow skin on a new figure as well. I finally caught a picture of "Keldor" at He-Man.org. Looks cool. :)

Man, I wish Mattel would figure out how to ship figures correctly. I can't find anything but He-Man's and Skeletor's in the stores around here. Hasbro atleast tries to ship so everyone can find all the latest figures. This shortpacking of charecters sucks. :mad: :(

I'll attach a picture of Webstor to this post, Caesar. He was billed in the original line as "The Evil Master of Escape". He was sort of a spider/human crossbreed. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Nihilus
08-05-2002, 10:52 AM
Mattel's reasoning on short-packing is that kid's are going to want to buy the main characters first. The problem I have with that is the kids don't yet know who the main characters are supposed to be yet.

Another great idea from Mattel is shipping heroes only in the next wave - Jungle Attack He-Man, Mechaneck and Ram Man. Meaning until next year there will be five unique heroes to three villains. Man it's almost as bad as Transformers: RiD.

Beast
08-05-2002, 11:08 AM
Darth Nihilus, I've been reading around on He-man.org. I see that there is going to be a varient Mechaneck. Has there been any information as of yet what exactly the varient is going to be? :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Nihilus
08-05-2002, 12:12 PM
We all seem to be in the dark over that one. I haven't really followed that particular topic as variants tick me off (unless it's a + symbol He-Man).:p

There's also another three figures that are supposed to be revealed in November, their identities have been kept secret for nearly a year now. Follow the link below to see what I mean.

http://toymania.com/columns/profiles/full/4horsemen1.shtml

Wolfwood319
08-05-2002, 02:12 PM
Let's not forget Samurai Spawn--errr---He-Man, Man at Arms, and Skelly. And the only figures that we released between 82-83 that we haven't seen new versions of are Man-E-Faces, Evil-Lyn, and Zodac I believe. And Orko and Whiplish weren't released until series 3 back in the day. So those are possibilites as well.

Next we should get, like Nihilus said, JA He-Man, Mechaneck, and Ram Man. Early next year we get Tri-Klops, TrapJaw, Teela, Whiplash, and Orko.

I also heard in an interview with a Mattel rep, that they will be mix-packing figures (a la Hasbro with early Saga). Expect more Mer-Mans, too. Mattel just wanted to get a lot of He-Mans and Skeletors on the shelves, it appears.

Beast
08-05-2002, 04:48 PM
Ugh, I stopped at TRU after taking my cat to the vet. I checked for any of the other He-Man figures that I still need. They had 10 Skeletor's on the pegs and nothing else. :mad: :(

Your forgetting Faker also, Wolfwood319. He was released in the second assortment in 1983. 1982 had a total of 8 figures:

He-Man, Skeletor, Man-At-Arms, Teela, Stratos, Zodac, Mer-Man, and Beast-Man.

Then in 1983 there were 9 more figures released. Though 2 of them were just re-issues of He-Man and Skeletor from the first assortment.

The Original He-Man, The Original Skeletor, Faker (1st Version), Tri-Klops, Trap-Jaw, Evil-Lyn, Man-E-Faces, Ram-Man, and Mekaneck.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

smurfvader
08-05-2002, 04:50 PM
One character that I really liked was Klamp Champ, the only Black He-Man figure. There was something about him that made him look cool with or without his lame weapon and repainted Fisto armour.

Jim

PS Is it just me or didn't the Moss-Man and Stinkor figures have the same smell?
I know Stinkor was supposed to smell bad and Moss-Man was supposed to smell like pine, but I swear that they smelled the same.

JON9000
08-05-2002, 06:07 PM
Stinkor smelled (and mine still smells, in fact) like black licorice or sambucca. Moss Man smells like pine.

RooJay
08-05-2002, 07:20 PM
All of the figures seem pretty readily available in my area so far (except Mer-Man, of course). I already have He-Man, Skeletor, Man-at-Arms, and while I have yet to purchase him, I see Stratos pretty much everywhere. Ditto for all of the vehicles, the Deluxe figures (I'll wait until I have more characters before buying these; can't see needing to own two versions each of He-Man and Skeletor just yet)Battle Cat, and Castle Greyskull.

I'd also like to point out that a recent issue of Toyfare magazine had pics from the upcoming animated series which also featured Buzz-Off and Clawful, which would seem to make them two more obvious choices for figures very soon.

Wolfwood319
08-05-2002, 07:28 PM
Ugh, I stopped at TRU after taking my cat to the vet. I checked for any of the other He-Man figures that I still need. They had 10 Skeletor's on the pegs and nothing else. :mad: :(

Your forgetting Faker also, Wolfwood319. He was released in the second assortment in 1983. 1982 had a total of 8 figures:

He-Man, Skeletor, Man-At-Arms, Teela, Stratos, Zodac, Mer-Man, and Beast-Man.

Then in 1983 there were 9 more figures released. Though 2 of them were just re-issues of He-Man and Skeletor from the first assortment.

The Original He-Man, The Original Skeletor, Faker (1st Version), Tri-Klops, Trap-Jaw, Evil-Lyn, Man-E-Faces, Ram-Man, and Mekaneck.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Oops, I forgot one. Thanks for catching that, JJB. ;)

I hope they re-do a "Faker" figure. But I hope it isn't just a "Blue He-Man." Someone posted earlier about a deformed He-Man "Faker," that would be cool.

I also hope that down the line, they come out with an Evil Hoarde assortment.;)

BTW, I finally got batteries for my Greyskull today, man does that toy kick ***.

Beast
08-05-2002, 07:36 PM
A new "Faker" figure would be great. Though they would have to make him actually look like He-man. Either all of He-man's friends were really stupid, color blind, or somthing. Guys he's Blue, I don't think he's He-Man. :p

I like the idea of either a color change feature, ,where cold water makes him turn Blue. Or maybe pull a Terminator feature on him. Make him look like He-Man on the outside. But push a button and his outer He-Man body shell blows off, revealing the Evil Robot "Faker" beneath. :)

Ok, now that I think of it, forget the color changing idea. I just imagine blowing off "Faker's" outer shell to reveal a robot underneath as way too cool. That is what I want to see in a new Faker. Hopefully 4H/Mattel are thinking along similar lines.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Nihilus
08-05-2002, 08:56 PM
Ok, now that I think of it, forget the color changing idea. I just imagine blowing off "Faker's" outer shell to reveal a robot underneath as way too cool. That is what I want to see in a new Faker. Hopefully 4H/Mattel are thinking along similar lines.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mattel's shown that already that it can be done ala the Psycho figure from Max Steel.

Someone mentioned a Horde assortment, one of the reps at the con revealed that amongst others Hordak was a strong possibility for the show (read: figure).

A new "Faker" figure would be great. Though they would have to make him actually look like He-man. Either all of He-man's friends were really stupid, color blind, or somthing. Guys he's Blue, I don't think he's He-Man

That puts me in mind of the Toyfare Twisted Mego Theatre where Skeletor's looking at side by sides of He-Man and Prince Adam, his "two greatest foes".

Beast
08-07-2002, 05:42 PM
Intresting post that I saw over at the He-Man.org forums. This person supposedly spoke to a Mattel Rep and got some hints about the Mechaneck Varient and also the Rep said that they were shocked about the "overwhelming negative response to the new charecter varients", i.e. The Samurai Figures.

Information from a Mattel Rep.:

I spoke with a Mattel rep today. Basically, I wanted information on the land vehicles. Since they haven't turned up in most places and aren't pictured on the Grayskull packaging, I was a bit concerned that they may have halted production on them. Basically, I wanted to get them before eBay found out if that was the case.

Turns out, nothing to worry about. They'll be coming, but they were a bit delayed in favor of Grayskull and the Beetle.

I also received some interesting variant information. According to the person I spoke with, the Meckaneck variant will be "more controversial than the misshaped symbol He-Man, but hopefully the reaction won't be as negative as the one we've gotten from the Comic-Con display figures." No idea what this means, but it could mean a fun couple weeks on the boards come September. Also, looks like the Gold BS He-Man is the Mattel favorite and will soon supplant the Silver one as the shelf dominator.

Finally, I asked about her comment regarding the Comic-Con display and she basically said that Mattel Consumer Relations has been shocked by the "overwhelmingly negative reception given to the new character variants." I asked if there were any changes planned due to that reaction and she said she had no idea, but when reaction is as bad as it has been in this case, changes "are a definite possibility."

So basically, it looks like Mattel DOES care about the collectors market and is paying attention. I'm really curious about this mysterious Meckaneck variant though.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
08-07-2002, 08:39 PM

Mattel's shown that already that it can be done ala the Psycho figure from Max Steel.

Actually, they've proved that it could be done long before Max Steel with the King Hiss figure from the vintage Masters line.;)

Wolfwood319
08-07-2002, 11:59 PM
I'm amazed that there is a planned variation of a figure that isn't even out yet. Obviously this is being done on purpose, or else Mattel would've just scrapped one version over the other.

"More controversial?"

I didn't think it was "Controversial." Mattel changed it from the "Old-School" cross to the new "H" symbol to define He-Man more, and avoid "Religious" conflicts. Die-Hard fans of anything, be it He-Man, Star Wars, etc., are never happy with anything "new" or different then what they already have. They have a preconceived notion of what should and shouldn't be, and that's the only way they like it.

Beast
08-08-2002, 12:08 AM
Yes it's being done on purpose, they have already said there will be one varient in every release. The 1st one was the Silver and Gold varients on the Deluxe Battle Sounds He-Man's armor. :)

Agreed, though while it was controversial, it was only controversial to those Die Hard He-Man fans. I don't mind the change, it's more distinct then a cross symbol anyway.

Heck, I remember reading the complaining when the new Modern He-Man line was announced last year. As well as when the POTF2 Star Was line was announced back in 1995. :)

Same thing happened with the prequels, people were attacking them because they didn't fit in their preconcieved ideals of what they should be. :rolleyes: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Nihilus
08-08-2002, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by RooJay
Actually, they've proved that it could be done long before Max Steel with the King Hiss figure from the vintage Masters line.;)

Yes but Psycho is closer to the Faker concept JJB flagged than Hiss.

With this Meckaneck variant being controversial I have my doubts. He is only a secondary character and not exactly iconic. I really don't think it matters what they do with him.

Heck, I remember reading the complaining when the new Modern He-Man line was announced last year

*looks about, whistling innocently*

Heh, that was me to a tee. But I was big enough to admit my mistake. That is why when I first saw the Sam figures I figured that even though I wasn't impressed I would reserve my final judgement for when they hit the shelves. I even posted an apology for being so vociferous against the new line. In case you're wondering Cornboy Mayse is an occasional poster on He-Man.org so yes, the Horsemen did see it.

BTW - Jar Jar, are you posting at the .ORG yet or still lurking like a dirty little troll?;) :D

Beast
08-08-2002, 12:36 AM
Currently I'm still just a dirty lurking troll. I can't come up with a decent nickname, and I don't like spreading myself to thin on message boards. :) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
08-08-2002, 02:46 AM
The 2nd Psycho figure (the one with the exploding, but non-removable human elements of the head) is probably one of Mattel's greatest toys EVER. If Mattel could pull that off with a Faker figure, they would destroy all competition that season. Even if they just went with the 1st/3rd Psycho design (they are identical except for the arm gimmicks) with the simple removable face mask, I think that'd be a really hot item.

Beast
08-08-2002, 08:43 AM
Wow, didn't think my little idea would be so liked. Maybe I should register on He-Man.org, just so I can post the idea. Would love to see that in a Faker figure. That way they can have it look like He-Man, and still make him the evil robot duplicate of He-Man. I never liked the original Faker figure, for those exact reasons. He never looked like He-Man, he was blue. If they can avoid it and make him as I posted, that would as JT said, be the best figure of the year. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Nihilus
08-08-2002, 09:54 AM
Well it is a pretty good idea, so I'll doubt Mattel will use it.;)
*considers posting the suggestion on the other board*:p :D

It's also possible that this "controversial' Mechaneck figure is one of the blacked out figs in that Toymania pic. I'm a little ticked that Mattel is pandering to the LCD by playing the variant game.

I didn't think it was "Controversial." Mattel changed it from the "Old-School" cross to the new "H" symbol to define He-Man more, and avoid "Religious" conflicts

That wasn't the primary motivator. The Cross was changed owing to the fact that it resembles the Nazi Iron Cross. Though considering that He-Man is now over twenty years old and there was no hooplah about it before, then this argument sits pretty thin.

Have a look at this interview to see the Mattel spin machine in effect.http://www.he-man.org/news_images/wfwtk2_2.html

Beast
08-08-2002, 10:27 AM
Feel free to post the suggestion, but make sure ya give me credit....m'kay. I dunno about the whole cross/asterik thing. I don't really mind the change all that much, I guess I'm just not a Die Hard He-Man Fanatic. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
08-08-2002, 05:43 PM
You know what I don't get? If the asterisk is so "stylized", then how come it looks generic; and how come He-man's axe, belt, and sword still have the cross?

I hear Mattel is actually taking fan ideas into consideration rather than turning a deaf ear to them, so perhaps you SHOULD whip up some excitement for Psycho-ized Faker over there, sounds like a good idea to me.

Beast
08-08-2002, 05:53 PM
JT, later versions have the asterik on the axe and sword also, because all of them are accessories they can easily be mixed or match, so that is why you likely haven't seen them on the figures in your area. Not sure about the belt though, since that is actually sculpted on the figure. Depends if Mattel paid to have the figure's groin piece re-sculpted as well. :)

Glad you like the idea JT, it just came to me out of the blue. I never liked the original blue Faker, cause like I said before...noone is going to mistake him for He-man. Now I just need to come up with a user name for there. If worse comes to worse, I guess I could use JarJarBinks. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
08-09-2002, 09:57 PM
You tryin' ta take credit for my idea JJB?! For shame! I posted this idea way back on page 1! :

Originally posted by RooJay
Faker (who doesn't want this guy?! I think I might like him to look a little...more...like He-Man. I don't think anyone would've been terribly "faked" out by the original version considering his blue skin, orange hair, and the fact that he was wearing an orange version of Skeletor's armor! :confused: I'm think' a removeable face with cool robot stuff underneath, some circuitry under his armor, maybe a little subtle circuitry sculpted onto his skin, and some interchangeable weapon arms! Then again...maybe the bizarreness [not a real word, but it works!] of the original was it's biggest charm!)

You even alluded to my idea in your later posts (didn't seem to remember who it was that had brought it up though)! ;)

Beast
08-09-2002, 10:01 PM
Great minds think alike, RooJay. What more can I saw about this. I actually never saw your post, as I came into the thread once near the start, and didn't come back for a while. Sorry for stepping on your idea. :( But my idea is more of a whole body shell of He-Man for the outside, with a endoskeleton faker underneath. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
08-09-2002, 10:36 PM
Fair enough! I'm all about sharing!:D

BoShek
08-10-2002, 09:30 PM
I want a 2002 Wonderbread He-Man.

Beast
08-10-2002, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by BoShek
I want a 2002 Wonderbread He-Man.
Since there is supposed to be a He-Man and Skeletor varient in every wave, be careful what you wish for. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
08-12-2002, 08:29 PM
He-Man.org is reporting that Mattel announced the 3rd Wave of figures today. And yes, there is a He-Man and Skeletor variant in the 3rd wave. Sadly the villians didn't even get any 2nd Wave release. There will only be good charecters in the 2nd Wave. So currently good guys outnumber villans in the toy line. :(

Mattel has reported that Wave 3 of the new toy line will contain:

Teela
Orko
Smash Blade He-Man

Trap Jaw
Tri-Klops
Spin Blade Skeletor

all are due in stores December 2002.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Nihilus
08-13-2002, 02:33 AM
Feel free to post the suggestion, but make sure ya give me credit....m'kay. I dunno about the whole cross/asterik thing. I don't really mind the change all that much, I guess I'm just not a Die Hard He-Man Fanatic. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Well, the way I see it, if you see the cross you're more likely to associate it with He-Man. With this altered design if I were to see it on something other than MOTU merchandise then it probably wouldn't even click to me to what it was alluding. For me it's just not a recognisable emblem. In a way Spiderman has that same problem, the Spider logo isn't as iconic compared to the overall character design.

Man I'm off for a few days and there's mention of the Smash and Spin Blade character variations. I hate being offline:mad:

Beast
08-13-2002, 09:41 AM
Well, the way I see it, if you see the cross you're more likely to associate it with He-Man. With this altered design if I were to see it on something other than MOTU merchandise then it probably wouldn't even click to me to what it was alluding. For me it's just not a recognisable emblem. In a way Spiderman has that same problem, the Spider logo isn't as iconic compared to the overall character design.
That's true, but Spider-Man's Spider logo has went thru changes over the years also. I don't see it as that big of a deal. Besides the new cartoon that starts Friday is pretty much altering alot of stuff from the old version. I don't see a massive problem with the change from the cross to the stylized H. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
08-14-2002, 06:28 PM
Looks like I was wrong about Evil-Lyn. Originally I heard that she was going to be really pale yellow, but going by the new picture of her with Skeletor she's pale white. He-Man.org posted a whole bunch of animation cels from the new series, this is one of them. The Evil Group is my new wallpaper. :cool: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
08-14-2002, 07:47 PM
Can't wait for a new Sorcoress figure! Her new design is awesome!:D

Darth Nihilus
08-14-2002, 09:52 PM
After tomorrow I'm going to go into blackout mode so as not to hear anything about the pilot episodes. I'm getting it taped and sent over so I want to be spoiler free when watching.;)

JediTricks
08-15-2002, 05:10 AM
That's an animation cell? It looks so... basic! To quote the great sleuth, "Wowzers!"

Beast
08-15-2002, 05:30 AM
Hmm, what do you mean basic, JediTricks? Looks pretty good to me, or do you just mean you figured the new animated series would look more, detailed? I know they are using a anime style for a basis for the new series.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
08-20-2002, 06:23 PM
A poster on He-Man.org and someone on RTM's boards reported finding the second wave of figures today. The bad news is that the case pack out is as follows: 3 Jungle Attack He-Man's, 2 He-Man's (Original), 1 Ram Man.

No Meckaneck or meckaneck variant in the case and only 1 Ram Man. Not to mention that they stuck 2 more of the original Wave 1 He-Man's in it. Geez, and I thought Hasbro sometimes made bad packing choices. :mad: :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

evenflow
08-21-2002, 07:21 AM
Does anyone know what the variants in the cases are yet?

Beast
08-21-2002, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by evenflow
Does anyone know what the variants in the cases are yet?
No info yet on the variants. Though for Mekanek there is supposed to be a flashback storyline in the cartoon where he gets used to his robotic neck. Plus he appears in the flashback scene at the beginning, and doesn't appear to have the neck yet. So the variant could be him just regular, without the neck action. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

evenflow
08-21-2002, 02:55 PM
Very cool, thanks for the info.

El Chuxter
09-26-2007, 08:18 PM
Wow.

I'm not trying to dredge up old threads needlessly, but I happened upon this, and it really is sad. All this hope for this line, and it all was flushed down like doon-stained TP.

:cry:

Beast
09-26-2007, 09:11 PM
Wow.

I'm not trying to dredge up old threads needlessly, but I happened upon this, and it really is sad. All this hope for this line, and it all was flushed down like doon-stained TP.

:cry:
Too much obsession with variants, repaints, and the like killed it.

Making the non He-Man or Skeletor figures impossible to find didn't help either. It's really a shame, cause they were some nice figures. :(

El Chuxter
09-27-2007, 03:21 PM
Yeah, I know why it died. I was just commenting on how sad it is that it did.

Especially since, had the line been stronger, we might've gotten the rest of the story on the amazingly good cartoon. Frigging Hordak was about to come back, and we'll never see that, except maybe in crappy comic spinoffs! :cry:

evenflow
10-21-2007, 02:01 PM
I guess there is hope for next year.

Beast
10-21-2007, 03:02 PM
I guess there is hope for next year.
Yeah, I was surprised by that. Hopefully they learned from the first time around.

2-1B
10-21-2007, 05:11 PM
Caesar, from what I have seen of the new cartoon she has pale yellow skin. Not really bright yellow like the old cartoon. So I am sure they will give her pale yellow skin on a new figure as well. I finally caught a picture of "Keldor" at He-Man.org. Looks cool. :)

Man, I wish Mattel would figure out how to ship figures correctly. I can't find anything but He-Man's and Skeletor's in the stores around here. Hasbro atleast tries to ship so everyone can find all the latest figures. This shortpacking of charecters sucks. :mad: :(

I'll attach a picture of Webstor to this post, Caesar. He was billed in the original line as "The Evil Master of Escape". He was sort of a spider/human crossbreed. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Thanks Beast, I kinda remember that guy...I did not have him myself but I think my cousin might have? :confused:

RooJay
10-23-2007, 02:30 AM
I had suspected for a while now that the whole idea behind Mattel letting the Four Horsemen run wild with the mini statues line was partially to allow them to stockpile sculpts and at least test the waters with the collectors market for He-Man's eventual return - sort of test marketing a collector driven He-Man line.

El Chuxter
10-23-2007, 03:42 AM
If that's the case, then what was the deal with the cartoon?

JediTricks
10-23-2007, 06:47 PM
I had suspected for a while now that the whole idea behind Mattel letting the Four Horsemen run wild with the mini statues line was partially to allow them to stockpile sculpts and at least test the waters with the collectors market for He-Man's eventual return - sort of test marketing a collector driven He-Man line.
Geez! Mattel was already trying to get $10 a pop for figures they didn't even have to pay ROYALTIES on, I can't imagine how much they'd want for collector-themed ones.

RooJay
10-24-2007, 04:00 AM
Geez! Mattel was already trying to get $10 a pop for figures they didn't even have to pay ROYALTIES on, I can't imagine how much they'd want for collector-themed ones.

I never meant to imply that 'collector-themed' should or would mean expensive. I consider Star Wars and G.I.Joe to be collector driven lines.

JediTricks
10-24-2007, 04:54 AM
I'm sure Mattel feels differently, they're greedy and not too bright.