PDA

View Full Version : Figure Prices (How much did Vintage figures cost?)

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-15-2002, 12:52 PM
I wasn't alive during the time of Orignal Trilogy's release, but I'm curious to know how much a basic figure cost back then at regular price.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-15-2002, 08:06 PM
I think that SW figures were $1.99 each, and by ESB, they'd risen to the unholy cost of $2.99! :eek: ;) I still have some Toys R Us price tags (weren't those bright orange tags HUGE?) that say a cent below three bucks.

bigbarada
06-16-2002, 09:18 AM
I remember them being $2.99 at the local Skaggs Alpha Beta and Piggly Wiggly back in 1984. This was also about the time that Wal-Mart started it's bid to take over the world and they were about $2.89 over there.

I didn't live near a TRU, so the first time I ever saw SW figures at one of those was in 1986 where they were on clearance for about $0.50 each.

sith_killer_99
06-16-2002, 10:19 AM
Well, my vintage Zuckuss (4LOM) has a price tag of $2.86! But he's on a ROTJ card, so I'm thinking around 83-84.

LusiferSam
06-17-2002, 07:32 PM
I remember ROTJ figures at about $3.00.

DarthMushy
06-17-2002, 10:52 PM
Yeah... $1.99 for the originals sounds right. For some reason I can remember than (even though I was only 6).

Skinny 1
06-17-2002, 11:26 PM
My vintage boxed Land Speeder has a price tag which reads $3.99!

Since we're discussing vintage prices, I thought I'd take this opportunity to ask whether or not anyone knows if there was any sort of price guide available back then for the few action figure collectors there were. I know there were comic book price guides back then, but I've never heard of toy price guides.

bigbarada
06-18-2002, 04:31 PM
I don't there were enough toy collectors to really warrant a consolidated price guide back then. If they did exist they probably focused more on Barbies or GI Joes since those were the "collectible" toys of the time.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-19-2002, 11:10 AM
I've been trying to complete my Marvel SW comics collection (only 5 more to go! ) and there are ads for the first 20 figures and vehicles. The prices are amazing! Sets of 4 figures for something like $10; $10 for the X-Wing; just the fact that the radio Sandcrawler is being sold. :eek:

I don't recall any price guides until maybe the mid-1980s, after ROJ was out of the theaters.

lunchymeatball
06-19-2002, 11:13 AM
Well over here in England I remember figures being the princely sum of 1.50 which meant that I had to save for two weeks to buy a figure with my pocket money.
Also I remember mini rigs being 3.75:)

OneArmedJango
06-19-2002, 10:40 PM
WOW 1.99!?! I wish I was alive back then.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-20-2002, 04:28 PM
You wouldn't have liked it back then. Hardly anyone carried guns so no one felt safe and secure, people showed respect so obviously they were weak, and kids didn't cuss as much so they weren't as grown-up and mature as they are now.

These are the sarcastic ravings of a bitter, nostalgic person growing older and more disillusioned daily... :( :cry: :frus: :zzz:

Darth Shifty
06-20-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by OneArmedJango
WOW 1.99!?! I wish I was alive back then.

Don't forget that minimum wage was a buck ninety-nine back then, too.

Darth Sidious
07-26-2002, 11:03 PM
I wasnt alive in the vintage days, but I did manage to pick a few up. But thats beside the point. I was wondering, how much did they cost back then? Just wondering. :)

EDIT- Oops...sorry about that...I will look a bit longer next time. Someone can delete this post now, I dont mind losing one post.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-27-2002, 04:33 PM
The cheapest I ever got them was for $0.89 at Bi-Mart...they were always WAY cheaper there than at TRU.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-27-2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
These are the sarcastic ravings of a bitter, nostalgic person growing older and more disillusioned daily... :( :cry: :frus: :zzz:

Omigosh BCJ - can I just say...I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!! I'm parallel with you my friend....PAR - A - LLEL!!!!! :)

If I got three wishes, I'd wish I was a kid again! I'll give the other two away to whomever wants them :)

Bel-Cam Jos
07-28-2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleic
The cheapest I ever got them was for $0.89 at Bi-Mart...they were always WAY cheaper there than at TRU.
Bi-Mart? Is this another term for K-Mart? Wal*Mart? A regional store? The four best names of regional stores I've been to: Winn Dixie, or Fisher Big Wheel (Ohio); and Zody's, or Gemco (So. California). I still have a small wire notebook with a Zody's price tag. Zody's... hee hee. :D

scruffziller
08-23-2002, 02:51 PM
Yea I remember like $2.99 and remember that being real expensive for my poor farming folks(80s). My best friend's dad worked at John Deere made extremely good money, he got practically every single figure for SW, I barely had any, well my dad's spiritual beliefs were part to blame for that. But I am glad that alot of things happened the way they did though. Because my friend was spoiled so, he is 27 1/2 and is just now starting to move out. He is so fat he can hardly walk. He weighs about 400 pounds and is 5' 6". The only reason he is starting to move out is because his sister decided to. Because now the pressure is on him. I will be 28 in a few days, I am no hunk by no means, I weigh about 100+ pounds less I have been out on my own since October of '95. So all and all, it may have seemed trecherous when I was a kid to live like I did, but it gave me the taste of the real world and to prepare. So if your one who was mad that your folks didn't spoil you but you have good work ethic now, thank your folks.

AdmiralPiett
08-24-2002, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by scruffziller
So if your one who was mad that your folks didn't spoil you but you have good work ethic now, thank your folks.

I can't say that I was mad that my parents didn't spoil me because I always knew that they were trying to teach me something important. But I hear you!

So far no one has talked about the highest prices they've seen for vintage. I remember Jewel (Chicago based supermarket) used to charge $3.99 during ROTJ and that was the most I've seen vintage guys go for. I thought that was so expensive. If only I knew then what I know now.
I loved those vintage clearances that stores used to have. I got Rancor at Service Merchandise for $2, C-3PO collector's case at KB for $2, those ROTJ KB 2packs for $2, AT-ST driver, weequay, klaatu (both types), nikto, teebo, imperial commander, pruneface, chief chirpa, etc. all for $0.99. I love those figures much more than their potf2 counterparts which don't have softgoods, simple poses, excellent yet simple packaging, etc. Vintage will always be my favorite, but Hasbro came close with some POTJ figs.
Piett

Bel-Cam Jos
08-24-2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by AdmiralPiett
So far no one has talked about the highest prices they've seen for vintage. I remember Jewel (Chicago based supermarket) used to charge $3.99 during ROTJ and that was the most I've seen vintage guys go for. I thought that was so expensive. If only I knew then what I know now.

I have mentioned that once a long time ago. I saw some POTF figures for $4.99 (what?!? :eek: ) at Thrify Drugs (now called RiteAid). I bought Lando General there, but passed on the rest.

sith_killer_99
08-24-2002, 12:24 PM
$4.00-$5.00?!?!?!

For VINTAGE:eek: