PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Names You Hate

Jek Porky 2002
07-27-2002, 09:06 AM
What names do you hate in Star Wars, I personally hate names that are just taken from the acters name such as John D and Wicket W. Warwick. I also hate names like Elan Sleazbaggano which is sooooooooooo obviously meant to be Sleazbag. I'm also not too keen on Coleman Trebor because Coleman origionates from someone that works in a coal mine, for those that don't know Trebor is Robert spelled backwards, Robert Coleman. If they'd have called him Nameloc Trebor (Nam-El-Lock Tre-Bor) then it would have sounded way better.

Pendo
07-27-2002, 09:46 AM
The name I HATE, basically because it is so annoying to type, is the name of the six breasted dancer - Yarna D'al Gargan. I suppose it'd be alright if I just called her Gargan, but you know me I have to use full names :crazed:.

PENDO!

Forhekset
07-27-2002, 10:30 AM
Let's see...Dooku, Yareel Poof, Dexter Jettster, Yaddle...all of those strike me as corny and lame. That Sleazobaggano thing or whatever is rather stupid-sounding, too. I also disliked "Panaka", and "Tyrannus" isn't so hot either if you ask me. Thankfully though Lucas didn't call the character "Darth Rage" or "Darth Hate" or any of the other idiotic names that lots of fansites were reporting back before AOTC came out.

Jargo
07-27-2002, 10:32 AM
I hate Jek Porkins. Jek sounds like someone coughing up a phlegmball and Porkins is so derogatory.

I hate all of the names thought up in the EU and all of the names that Lucas' kids have contributed to the saga.

Darth Nihilus
07-27-2002, 10:37 AM
Does Jorg Sacul count?:D

scruffziller
07-27-2002, 10:51 AM
Sly Moore. Sounds like another regular actor's name.

QLD
07-27-2002, 12:05 PM
I'm not big on Jek Porkins either. I mean, come on....

Exhaust Port
07-27-2002, 01:42 PM
How about Bubba Fat-guy?

QLD
07-27-2002, 01:55 PM
He might as well be named Lards Fata-ss

bigbarada
07-27-2002, 01:57 PM
I only dislike names that are all too obvious as jokes:
Porkins
Elan Sleazbaggano
Bib for Tuna
Mon Calimari
Admiral Snackbar
Mom Mothman
Amana Man
4-LOM
and pretty much anything from EU

Tyranus is cool, mainly because it is a take off of the Celtic god, Taranus. Dooku is Japanese for 'poison' so that one is cool, too.

Jek Porky 2002
07-27-2002, 02:44 PM
I forgot to mention Dexter Jettster and Jek Porkins.

mabudonicus
07-27-2002, 03:37 PM
All eu names, but most of all I HATE the name padme amidala.
Dunno why. Dexter Jettster, and sleazebaggano is terrible too. I like Dack, wedge, wormie, zuckuss, dengar, Zam wessel, and Boba Fett (my friends and I used to say, with a goofy rasta accent "kickin it down in a boba fett style"

Deoxyribonucleic
07-27-2002, 04:03 PM
Yaddle is the worst and so is that stupid character....pretty much most of the names from EP1 (minus the original characters) are aweful. It seems like the names were the very last part of the movie they put together and of course were rushed so all the names sounded stoooopid! I really DESPISE EP 1 :)

Jek Porky 2002
07-27-2002, 04:29 PM
I don't mind the names from EpI.

Jargo
07-27-2002, 06:27 PM
Whenever i hear or read the name Jocasta Nu I think of the telletubbies and that blue hoover thing called Noonoo.

I hate Aiwha too because it's supposedly a Thranta. That was always good enough so why change it?

Poggle the lesser is pretty stoopid. Poggle? Sounds like something from a kids book... I guess one of Lucas' kids came up with that.

Dooku sounds like a retard to me "hiya, me name's Dooku. Wanna play kerplunk?" :)

Deoxyribonucleic
07-27-2002, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Dooku sounds like a retard to me "hiya, me name's Dooku. Wanna play kerplunk?" :)

Dooku reminds me of poopoo or dookie! What kind of a name is THAT! :)

QLD
07-27-2002, 06:59 PM
Kerplunk!?

*stifle....mgghhg........mkkkk.......BWHAHAHAHAHAH AHAH!!!!!!!!!!!*

El Chuxter
07-27-2002, 09:08 PM
Bel-Cam oughtta go prospectin' again; I think there was a thread about a year ago on the old forums about this as well.

Count Dooku sounds like an auditing job at a sewage treatment plant. "Excuse me, time to count the dooku!"

As much as I like the character, Kit Fisto is a lousy name.

All the Darths except Vader sound pretty forced.

Rodian names that sound alike: Greedo, Beedo, Greeata, Doda Bonawieedo. And for that matter, Aldo Beedo.

Names that are just too close together for comfort: Skywalker/Darklighter, Windy/Mace Windu/Mace Towani, etc. Again ignoring how much I like the character, what would it be like if there was a scene where Teek and Deak rode a reek?

bigbarada
07-27-2002, 11:05 PM
Shaak Ti - reminds me too much of that lame-o Shaquille O'Neill video game Shaq-Fu.

In fact lots of the Jedi Council guys have wierd names, correction, all of them do. But then again stupid names have been around since the beginning.

Strangely enough though the names that bother me the most from Ep2 are Taun We and Lama Su. I don't know why, maybe it's because they just don't sound like anything and are kind of arbitrary. I guess I would prefer the silly names to the ones that just register a mental blank.

Mabudon, I don't like Padme Amidala either. Padme Naberre was fine, so was Amidala by itself. Putting them together just sounds awkward. I think it would have been cooler if the Amidala name was actually part of the Queen title, y'know like Caesar for the Romans.

2-1B
07-28-2002, 02:44 AM
I hate the names

Plo Koon
Deppa Dilapidated Bilabo (the female Jedi, can't even recall her name, I just know it's silly)
Cliegg
Barris
Yarael Poof
Wat Tambor
Coleman Trebor is easily the goofiest :rolleyes:
Crix
Cos
Lobot
Momaw Nadon
Evazan
Saesaee Tiin
The Jettster half of Dex's name
C-3PO

Rick McCallum

Hertius

:)

Deoxyribonucleic
07-28-2002, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
I hate the names

Deppa Dilapidated Bilabo (the female Jedi, can't even recall her name, I just know it's silly)

it reminds me of the drug deppo prevara (sp?) :)

mabudonicus
07-28-2002, 02:01 PM
Yeah, Plo Koon, it's wrong for every reason I can think of.
Tige fromm
Uncle Gundy(I won't even touch that one)
Darth Maul
Saelt Marae (Why the hell would you make up a fantasy name that can't be pronounced??)
Reek
Bib Fortuna
Salacious Crumb
Greeta
Pondo Babba (what was wrong with walrus man, other than the "misleading" factor)
Sy Snootles

2-1B
07-28-2002, 02:25 PM
Ah yes, Sault St. Marie is a TERRIBLE name for Yak Face! :D

Uncle Gundy a.k.a Uncle Salty from Aerosmith's Toys in the Attic ? :cry: Yeah, I wouldn't "touch" it either! :D

Salacious Crumb should have been renamed Gratuitous Morsel. :rolleyes:

Sio Bibble is pretty lame too.

jdmarlow
07-28-2002, 07:52 PM
Elan Sleazebaggano is #1 on my all-time LIST OF NAMES TO HATE. "Sleazebaggano"? C'MON!!! You can do better than that George!! We know he is a "Sleaze Bag" but why call him "Sleazebaggano"? That's childish. Lets call him "Elan Drugdealero" instead.

DarthBrandon
07-28-2002, 08:11 PM
Names I don't like:

Jorge Sacul
Plo Koon
Windex Mace A.K.A. Mace Windu
Sio Bibble A.K.A The Bible

Deoxyribonucleic
07-28-2002, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by brandon
Names I don't like:

Sio Bibble A.K.A The Bible

ROFL! :)

mabudonicus
07-29-2002, 09:59 AM
"gratuitous morsel" ROFL Caesar...... Hey, how could I have left "ree yees" off the list...... Ephant Mon, the race name "mon calamari", even though, if the eu is to believe, the "quarren" (not too bad a name, BTW) are the squidlike ones (oh no- I just acknowledged the EU....... HELP!!!!)
There's more, keep posting, fellows!!!
Oh, and doda oda benweedo, and joh yowzah- don't know how the heck THOSE happened. Ever read the bio for joh yowzah??? (I read it in toyfare, honest!!) And they say gone with the wind was bad.......

JEDIpartner
07-29-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by jdmarlow
Elan Sleazebaggano is #1 on my all-time LIST OF NAMES TO HATE. "Sleazebaggano"? C'MON!!! You can do better than that George!! We know he is a "Sleaze Bag" but why call him "Sleazebaggano"? That's childish. Lets call him "Elan Drugdealero" instead.

They could have called him "Winston Alsem" since "death sticks" were actually cigarettes! :rolleyes:

2-1B
07-29-2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
They could have called him "Winston Alsem" since "death sticks" were actually cigarettes! :rolleyes:

:D :D :D :D :D

Millip Phoris
Mall Pall
Slima Virgin
Lemac
Marlboro Alien
Luck E. Strike
your "Basic" drug dealer

Lobito
07-29-2002, 02:18 PM
Palpatine...that name sucks!!!

Amidalla...see above.

So far those are it.

JEDIpartner
07-29-2002, 10:15 PM
You think "Palpatine" sucks? I think that is one of the best names in the saga. The jury is out on "Amidala"... "Naberrie" is a little better. I can't really stand the fact that most of the scene fillers get these names that are so ridiculous. Pick pretty much ANY of the characters in Jabba's Palace or the Mos Eisly Cantina... really.

Beast
07-29-2002, 10:19 PM
I don't know JediPartnr. Even main charecter names like Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, Leia Organa, etc. can be just as bad as some of the names from Jabba's Palace and the Mos Eisley Cantina. After all, they are supposed to be cheesy serial names. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
07-30-2002, 12:48 AM
I like "Palpatine", I just hate his EU first name, "Cos" :rolleyes:

Nothing against the real "Cos", I just can't see Palps mugging for Jello-O pudding or Kodak film. :D

Lobito
07-30-2002, 03:38 PM
To me the name Palpatine really Sucks...i dont know, it sounds like he's Cartman's cousin from South Park. But thats just ME.

Jargo
07-30-2002, 04:30 PM
Palpatine - the source of the name:

Palpable 1. that can be touched or felt. 2. readily percieved by the senses or mind.

Paladin 1. each of the twelve peers of Charlemagne's court, of whom Count Palatine was the chief. 2. A knight errant; a champion.

Beast
07-30-2002, 04:43 PM
Cool info EJ. It's always intresting when you find out where exactly some of these names get their origins. And I'll go with what Ceasar said earlier, Hertius sucks. Who came up with such a stupid name? ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
07-30-2002, 05:02 PM
it's not the official line on the origins but i just did a check in my dictionary for likely sounding words and found two that combine and still make sense in the literal way. Seeing the name Count Palatine gave me a chill up my spine though considering the way lucas named characters way back and still uses his store of character names. Cliegg being a case in point and same with Mace Windu. Interesting that he saved the Count part for Dooku or that could be a coincidence. I'd like to think that the name was one of Lucas' early ones though. I can imagine him reading about Charlemagne's court. He is after all a very well read guy.

Mandalorian Candidat
07-30-2002, 05:53 PM
I know that many names come from actual ones in English or other languages but some really do stink to high heaven.

My list includes:

Palpy
Yarael Poof
Saesee Tiin
Plo Koon
Yaddle (even Yoda is kind of dopey but it's grown on me)
Sio Bibble
Dooku (sound too much like Dookie), but Darth Tyrannus is way cool
Naberrie
All the handmaiden names except for Padme. That one sound right for some reason.
Shmi (I just think of that dopey pirate from Peter Pan)
A lot of the alien names (not species names, actual names) also bug me, but there are so many to hate I won't list them here.

Oh yeah. I also despise the name of the character briefly played in 0.2 nanoseconds of screen time by Ricky Dick MC. I don't know what it is, just that I would hate it.

darthvyn
07-31-2002, 02:35 AM
I hate the names

crix

:)

i like crix.

amidala always made me think of the amygdala (brain gland)

palpatine is pretty cool...

panaka - breath mint?

count dooku is cool - i mean, he's count DRACULA!!!

2-1B
07-31-2002, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by darthvyn
i like crix.

I'd gladly take back my complaint if Hasbro would make a Crix Madine figure! :D

Hey Mand Cand, I remember a thread not long ago where we came up with some names for Ricky's aristocrat in TPM . . . just can't remember what they were! :D
In the meantime, I'll call him Slick McJackass . . .

Mandalorian Candidat
07-31-2002, 11:25 AM

I'd gladly take back my complaint if Hasbro would make a Crix Madine figure! :D

Hey Mand Cand, I remember a thread not long ago where we came up with some names for Ricky's aristocrat in TPM . . . just can't remember what they were! :D
In the meantime, I'll call him Slick McJackass . . .

I vaguely remember that thread. For now I'll just call him Labius Onassimus. :kiss:

Jargo
07-31-2002, 07:33 PM
IIRC the thread in question is in the movies section and for some strange reason i have a recolection that it's in the episode two section not the TPM section. It was part of a thread that lost it's way so it's not the main subject but a comment or two halfway through. I think I dubbed him Mcalcc Mulkir or something similar. And i got there first so what I said is it okay? :p Like I really care.... :)

Emperor Howdy
08-01-2002, 12:49 AM
Well.....obviously for starters: Jar Jar Binks......grrrrrrrr. (No offense to you, Jar Jar).:eek: ..........ummm......Ponda Baba.....Ric Olie-Olie-Oxen-Free.......Momaw Napalm, or whatever his dumb name is.....Hammerhead was much better..........good song, too. Hmmm......Joh Yowsa, Weequay, Jawa, Nute Gunray, and Teek. Isn't Beebo a Star Wars something or other? Dak, Biggs Darklighter, Jango (it's like a Boba shemale......or vica versa). Chewbacca is even lame. They're all dumb, actually. The question is.....what's a COOL Star Wars name?

Actually.......Darth Maul's not a bad one. Hmmm...cool SW names.....Darth Maul? Oh...I already said that. Ummm....Grand Moff Tarkin's ok (except for Moff....what the heck is a Moff?).

Arrogant Arse
08-01-2002, 11:47 AM
Caesar, wouldn't Palpatine only be selling "Dark-Side Chocolate" Jello Pudding Pops??

I also DESPISE Padme Amidala. (I thought her full name was Padme Namemberrie-Amidala-Skywalker-Vader-Organa. She chose to hyphenate)

I have never really liked when they phonetically spelled out the droids names on the figure cards or in books (R2-D2 - Artoo Deetoo). It just seems VERY juvenile.

I think Jorg (I'm Sorry, George) has gotten lamer and lamer with his names as the movies have gone on. The names in Star Wars didn't sound too wacky. Some of the Jedi names were out there-(Mon Mothma, Mon Clalmari?) But with TPM they were very gone (Jar Jar Binks, Sio Bibble, Naboo???) And as mentioned before, Sleazebaggo(sp?) in AOTC. I didn't like any of them.

I also didn't really like that Klatoo, Barada, Nikto was taken from an old Sci-Fi movie (who's name escapes me). The words weren't goofy to me, but I just didn't like it.

Beast
08-01-2002, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Arrogant Arse
I also didn't really like that Klatoo, Barada, Nikto was taken from an old Sci-Fi movie (who's name escapes me). The words weren't goofy to me, but I just didn't like it.
That would be from the Sci-Fi Classic, "The Day The Earth Stood Still" from 1951. It was the activation command words for Gort the Robot. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JON9000
08-01-2002, 02:32 PM
Count Hertius Dooku. Why not just name him Count Hershey Highway Poopiepants?