PDA

View Full Version : Original Simpsons Figures

Jek Porky 2002
07-27-2002, 09:31 AM
Can anyone tell me which charactors where made in the origional Simpsons figure line from the early 1990s, and pictures would be cool, the reason I'm asking is because I was just a little bit too young at the time to remember. The only things I remember abou them was they where on white cards, I remember the figure of Nelson with a dust bin, and they all had speach bubbles, which is a bit of a joke now because the new ones actually talk!

Jek Porky 2002
07-27-2002, 04:27 PM
Come on, someones got to know, Thrawn I know you're a Simpsons Collecter.

BoShek
07-27-2002, 09:22 PM
For sure: Nelson
Marge
Lisa
Bart
Homer
Bartman

Probably Maggie
Maybe Krusty

Thrawn
07-28-2002, 01:46 AM
I have the set - mint on cards. (Though there no truly 'mint' cards)

Bart
Bartman
Marge
Lisa
Homer
Maggie
Nelson
Family Couch + Boob Tube

Nelson came with a paper or pastic garbage can.
Each came with a bubble with 5 interchangable sayings - so if you are totally insane you could collect 5 of each figure with each phrase showing on the cards.

They were made by Mattel. A mail-away Bart w/'Save Blinky' shirt was advertised, but never released.

Maggie, Lisa and the the Couch are the rarest.
Here is a picture of my set.

JediTricks
07-28-2002, 04:19 AM
I have Lisa, Bart, and Bartman and I think they're all superior in many ways to the modern WOS figures from Playmates.

Jek Porky 2002
07-28-2002, 05:12 AM
Wow, thanks for the pic, they look really old fashioned compared to the playmates versions.

JediCole
08-04-2002, 04:06 PM
Good work, Thrawn. I have all but the couch set, loose. Though it appears that Nelson came with a paper or plastic trash can, the reality is that both versions shown have plastic trash cans. Mattel's early release featured a cardboard insert that covered the plastic can. The purpose seems to have been to give a seamless look to the line drawing image of Nelson on the card and the larger than average acessory that would have obscured that part of the image. The reason I know this is that I too thought the trash can was just a cardboard facimile, however, since I opened all of mine, I soon discovered the above.
I had not heard of the mail away Bart figure before, however, a Krusty the Clown was announced as the signature piece of an unreleased second series. I had seen pictures of the prototype, which featured Krusty with a cream pie stuck to his head. It was impossible to discern if that was removeable or permanant.
These figures were in many ways superior to Playmates' offerings in that each figure had at least some articulation, even Maggie However, each figure's head was cast in hollow, rigid vinyl, not solid plasitic. And each figure had a single gaping hole in its head, allowing the "word bubble" acessory to be plugged into the head, just enough askew to "hover" over the head with the tail hanging near the character's mouth. So there was some give and take. And unlike Playmates, Mattel did NOT have a solid commitment to the line. They did very little to promote the line or make it interesting or comercially viable. And in many ways, the line was simply ahead of its time. However, I suspect that it would never have occured to the higher-ups at Mattel to make figures of nearly all 300 plus characters that have appeared on The Simpsons, so in that respect, Playmates, who have long experience in recognizing the collector vs. kid's toy market, has the upper hand!
And after all these years I had recently decided to divest myself of my collection of Mattel Simpsons figures. I am trying to find the paper inserts which I had stored seperatly and then the whole family is going on the auction block on eBay.