PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Soundtrack

Pendo
07-27-2002, 10:21 AM
Does anyone know any information on the Episode II Ultimate Soundtrack or when it is due to come out?

PENDO!

DeadEye
07-27-2002, 04:27 PM
It'll probably be out next year, as the Episode I ultimate soundtrack came out in 2000.

pthfnder89
07-27-2002, 07:11 PM
Well, I never bought the Ultimate Ep1 soundtrack, just the original. But since I haven't bought the first AOTC one, I guess I'll hold off.

JEDIpartner
08-01-2002, 02:07 PM
I'd be surprised if they didn't release it in conjunction with the DVD/VHS release in the autumn. I think that would be a great time to release it. People would have another item to add to their holiday lists!

Megs 2
08-01-2002, 02:13 PM
Someone wrote a letter to Sony Classical asking if there will be an "Ultimate Ed." coming out this year. Sony's response was that there will be no plans for an ultimate ed. I read a thread on this subject from a soundtrack website. But I think that a complete sdtk will come out next year.

Pendo
08-01-2002, 02:15 PM
I hope it does come out, even though I didn't like the way the Ep1 one was done. I would rather have fewer really long tracks than lost of really short ones. Similar to the ones for the OT were done.

PENDO!

Jek Porky 2002
08-03-2002, 07:26 AM
iI didn't even know thay made ultimate editions for the soundtracks, what's the difference?

Pendo
08-03-2002, 07:31 AM
There's only an Ultimate Edition of the Ep1 soundtrack, and the difference is it has all music composed for the film and not just the main tracks on it like the 1st Ep1, and the Ep2 soundtrack have.

PENDO!

Jek Porky 2002
08-03-2002, 07:44 AM
Ah, right I understand now!

jedibear
08-11-2002, 11:51 PM
Well.....as much as enjoyed the Episode One Ultimate Edition, I'm a little ambivelent about one for AOTC.

While it would be terrific to have all the music from the first half on the movie (the full opening, the reconstructed chase music with that wonderfully effective horn section blast that accompanies Zam rising her weapon & more) the fact that the latter half of the movie (especially the ground battle and droid factory scenes) sounds almost temp-tracked with music from Episode One makes me think it'll just be one long rehash for the second disc. (the droid factory scene even borrows from music earlier in the film...the chase music reappears again) and the most distracting of all is the opening portion from Phantom Menace is used for the scenes of Padme's yacht arriving on Geonosis...
I really wish that John Williams could go back and re-score the last couple of reels of the film with new music....than I'd eagerly await an Ultimate Edition! Not that the Episode II score doesn't have it's wonderful highlights as heard in the film (and the currently availible editon of the score)....from the stirring "Across the Stars" to the creepy undercurrents that accompany the Kamino scenes to the great action cues that make up the Landing Platform Duel music...that's alot of great new music in the Star Wars canon to enjoy....

I think the debacle with the music (an excellent if not a little shrill account of all the music woes appears in the summer edition of "Film Score Monthly") is one of the few negative things to fallout from Lucas working in a totally digital realm....while it's great for him to be able to tweak things til the last moments before prints are struck and the film is released, it's impossible for others who collaborate of the movies with him, most notably the very busy Williams, to be able to ride along to the very end of those adjustments....hence the almost "temp-track" feel to the score's sound.
Here's hoping Williams gets all the time he needs to compose a completely original score for Episode III.....making THAT the one to really like an "Ultimate Edition" of.....