PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek figures (merged)

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Tycho
04-07-2007, 07:45 AM
For while this eBay Defiant link is working... (http://cgi.ebay.ie/FURUTA-STAR-TREK-U-S-S-DEFIANT-NX-74205_W0QQitemZ120074102225QQihZ002QQcategoryZ1193 QQcmdZViewItem)

This does look very cool. There was another poster with the ship sizes and model toys of the NX, Defiant, and Voyager (Trek's smallest "main character" ships) that used this Furuta model for the Defiant and it had quite nice results.

Blue2th
04-07-2007, 11:06 AM
All of the Furutas are quite nice, and are the same general size. Three to four inches long. Real close to the Johnny Lightnings. Except for the last or third wave. Two of the ships, the Excelsior and Enterprise refit are Micromachine size.

BountyHunterScum
04-07-2007, 03:03 PM
Here is a little comparison the Defiant is at the bottom. If need be cut and paste both ships from the provided picture. Nevermind I did it for ya, not quite to the impulse engines but close enough. I love the Defiant when I saw it shoot that jem hadar scumbag into hell for the first time I went ballistic with joy.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w265/BMWM3E92/DefiantvsEnterprise.jpg

Blue2th
04-07-2007, 03:28 PM
Here is a little comparison the Defiant is at the bottom. If need be cut and paste both ships from the provided picture. Nevermind I did it for ya, not quite to the impulse engines but close enough. I love the Defiant when I saw it shoot that jem hadar scumbag into hell for the first time I went ballistic with joy.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w265/BMWM3E92/DefiantvsEnterprise.jpg
That looks very close to the size of the Furuta Defiant in relation to the Art Asylum Enterprise E. I have both, though I haven't taken the Enterprise out of it's box. I think that is your best bet there Tycho.
Hey James31278, can you post those profiles of the other ships before you cut and pasted the two? That sure was cool seeing the profiles and sizes of the other Star Trek ships. Thanks!

BountyHunterScum
04-07-2007, 03:41 PM
That looks very close to the size of the Furuta Defiant in relation to the Art Asylum Enterprise E. I have both, though I haven't taken the Enterprise out of it's box. I think that is your best bet there Tycho.
Hey James31278, can you post those profiles of the other ships before you cut and pasted the two? That sure was cool seeing the profiles and sizes of the other Star Trek ships. Thanks!

Sure I can include the chart I copied these front. In fact do you want the Alien charts too?

BountyHunterScum
04-07-2007, 03:46 PM
The original chart I posted was 2003 but I went to their site and got the 2006 charts. At least one part of the chart is flat out wrong 1701 is a little longer than the refit constitution.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w265/BMWM3E92/fleet-chart-1060.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w265/BMWM3E92/shuttle-chart.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w265/BMWM3E92/shuttle-chart2.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w265/BMWM3E92/alien-chart.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w265/BMWM3E92/alien-chart2.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w265/BMWM3E92/alien-huge-chart.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w265/BMWM3E92/station-chart.jpg

Blue2th
04-08-2007, 01:35 PM
Cool pics there. Found the site and bookmarked it, thanks

Went to Hastings to see if I could find the Corgi Die-cast Klingon Bird-of-Prey, like the two Corgi Enterprises I found there. I didn't find it and ended up winning one on eBay.

I did see the new Art Asylum 2-pack of Professor Data and Geordi from "All good things" though. First time I've ever seen a 2-pack.
Also saw the exclusive Lore.

Tycho
04-08-2007, 01:42 PM
I just don't buy TNG product (except for the movies).

It's a taste thing, but I can't pinpoint it. I like TNG, but I'm so much more enthusiastic about DS9 especially, the WOK / TOS stuff, and anything further that I wish they'd do for Enterprise (like a Xindi Reptillian figure).

JediTricks
04-10-2007, 03:28 PM
In my imagination the Defiant was smaller than that (the "E's" saucer section). To be sure it's larger than the captain's yacht, but only by about 4 x the size.Well, your imagination is a nut, 'cause that'd be the size of a Runabout.

You should try getting a Furuta Defiant. It's about three inches long, very detailed. :thumbsup:I need to track one of them babies down too. A devious smart chinese company should pull molds from them and reissue them.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w265/BMWM3E92/DefiantvsEnterprise.jpgThat's exactly what I did when I made the claim that it went from the bridge to the front of the impulse engines, if you look at the picture, the housing curves and starts in a point right where the Defiant ends.

At least one part of the chart is flat out wrong 1701 is a little longer than the refit constitution.Where did you read that? Everything I've read suggests that the refit is the longer of the 2, including published tech manual books from before there was a public internet.

BountyHunterScum
04-10-2007, 06:34 PM
1701 has longer warp engines and a bigger body. 1701 has 430 vs the refit's roughly 300. I also enlarged to the 1701 to be more accurate. What books said that? If possible please scan them. The thing about the internet is people can say whatever they want and not have to back it up with real information. It's a classic case of downsizing after the fact, big ships used to be all the rage now they aren't thus 1701 being larger than the refit. 1701's corridors are also much larger than the refit's. I just noticed the Miranda class is too big, damn whoever made this chart if you watch Star Trek II you can see a comparison when the Reliant barely misses the Enterprise after being fired at the Reliant's size is mostly the Enterprise's saucer.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w265/BMWM3E92/EnterpriseSizeFallacyontop-1.jpg

BountyHunterScum
04-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Yet another discrepancy, the Constitution's size compared to the Excelsior. In Star Trek 6 you saw them side by side 1701-A is half the size of NCC 2000.

LTBasker
04-10-2007, 08:27 PM
The person who runs EAS (Bernd Schneider) doesn't base the scales solely off of what is seen on screen, if a person did then things would be massively out of proportion. DS9 is a good example of this, the Defiant is HUGE in the opening sequence but it should be tiny compared to the station, considering when the Enterprise-D was docked on a pylon it was basically dwarfed by the station.

He bases scales off of information listed in the canon tech manuals and any other sources as long as it's canon. If something's size is too inconsistent between sources he actually does an indepth analysis of where he should put the scale. The Defiant for instance. http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/defiant-problems.htm

BountyHunterScum
04-10-2007, 10:23 PM
Parts of that chart are wrong. Nuff said. The Defiant was shown to be 75% the size of Miranda in one episode.

Phantom-like Menace
04-10-2007, 11:15 PM
Where did you read that? Everything I've read suggests that the refit is the longer of the 2, including published tech manual books from before there was a public internet.

What books said that? If possible please scan them. The thing about the internet is people can say whatever they want and not have to back it up with real information.

I'm with JediTricks. I've seen umpteen million sources, nintey-nine point nine percent of which not having anything to do with unfounded Internet speculation that says the Enterprise refit is longer than the original version. Which book? All of them that give a length or size comparison. Do you have a scan from a book that shows it's smaller is a better question.

Parts of that chart are wrong. Nuff said.

No, saying enough, would would be to mention that there is no "correct" source. The VFX guys varied the size of Defiant only slightly less than the Okuda/Sternbach techie crowd. The Encyclopedia contradicts the DS9 Technical Manual, contradicts the VFX in almost every shot, and most of the VFX shots contradict themselves. I don't know if any two canon sources have ever agreed on how long she is.

As it is, Bernd is a friend of a friend (or more accurately was since I and my friend both have lost a great deal of interest in Star Trek and I don't think they've communicated in years), so I'm familiar enough with the group who would have contributed to that chart to know that if they get an idea in their heads, they are right and Sternbach, Okuda, Berman, Roddenberry, and the deity of your choice are wrong if they disagree, and I would never defend that, but as far as the length of Defiant goes, I don't really see any problem with their assessment. You can point to evidence; I can point to evidence; neither of us is correct.

BountyHunterScum
04-10-2007, 11:19 PM
Show me the book that says the refit is longer.

Phantom-like Menace
04-10-2007, 11:46 PM
First I'm at work, so I don't have my books handy. Second the burden of proof isn't on us regardless of how you may perceive it. Third, I don't have anything that scans and would only be able to tell. Fourth I don't care whether you agree with . . . well pretty much everyone else. If you were to go on thinking the refit is shorter than the original, my life will continue in much the same way it would if you believed as I do.

BountyHunterScum
04-11-2007, 01:58 AM
I don't believe its smaller I know it is. Proof is in the show and movies. The chart also shows an enlarged Miranda class. The Excelsior is too small in the chart.

Phantom-like Menace
04-11-2007, 03:23 AM
I don't believe its smaller I know it is. Proof is in the show and movies. The chart also shows an enlarged Miranda class. The Excelsior is too small in the chart.

Let's ignore the Miranda because I agree (and haven't mentioned it), and let's ignore the Excelsior because I haven't mentioned it (and don't care to see if you're right).

The length of the Enterprise before refit and after refit. If you have visual evidence from the show, what would you be scaling against? I can't think of any situation in which a pre refit Constitution shares the screen with a post refit Constitution nor shared the screen with anything that shared a screen with a post refit Constitution nor for that matter shared the screen with anything that shared the screen with anything that shared the screen with a post refit Constitution. And if there were anything that shared a screen that shared a screen (etc.) we're starting to fudge numbers a bit, like making a copy of a copy.

BountyHunterScum
04-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Corrider vs Corrider Shuttlebay vs Shuttlebay plus crew number. Funny thing is on wiki if any of the info is true there is at least one photo of various ships and structures one of them being 1701 tos showing the ship to be 1000 feet which is 305m. From the looks of it people are getting the numbers backwards. The engine room of 1701 TOS is also larger. I even have old baseball cards showing ship sizes from 1701 on up I'll have to find the binder they're in. The same cards quoted 1701-D's length in feet, 2,108. These came out before the internet was in full swing.

JediTricks
04-12-2007, 05:41 PM
1701 has longer warp engines and a bigger body. 1701 has 430 vs the refit's roughly 300. What's your source on that? I've never seen any claim besides yours that the 1701's engineering hull and warp engines were bigger than the refit (which defies the point of a refit, in your art your refit chops off 20% of the ship). And what is 430 vs 300 there? No way it's meters, and I don't believe it's crewman because the refit had a slightly higher number of crewman.

What books said that? If possible please scan them.I don't have a working scanner, but I'll try to get a photo. But at least 1 official tech manual, the Mr Scott's one probably, plus the ST encyclopedia says it. Also, in the Art of Star Trek I believe, it said that ST:TMP's art director took the numbers from the Phase 2 Enterprise refit and ran from there, those design numbers had the refit's saucer get bigger and the ship was lengthened slightly.

The thing about the internet is people can say whatever they want and not have to back it up with real information. It's a classic case of downsizing after the fact, big ships used to be all the rage now they aren't thus 1701 being larger than the refit."The thing about the internet is people can say whatever they want and not have to back it up with real information." :p That's exactly what's happening with your post, you're under some mistaken impressions and you're running hard with them.

1701's corridors are also much larger than the refit's.Set redesign meant to be more accurate, the original version's were done without care, Andrew Probert when he worked on TMP ensured the sets were designed to match his ship designs' scale.

I just noticed the Miranda class is too big, damn whoever made this chart if you watch Star Trek II you can see a comparison when the Reliant barely misses the Enterprise after being fired at the Reliant's size is mostly the Enterprise's saucer.You're judging incorrectly, the scale chart you provided is correct and your perception is correct, but what you're seeing is the ship from THE FRONT where it's no wider than the Enterprise's saucer (since it's designed around that saucer), yet there's a significant section behind the bridge that's not saucer which makes it not just the size of a saucer section. You'll notice in the fleet chart that the front "saucer" half of the ship and the warp nacelles correspond to the refit Ent-A.

Yet another discrepancy, the Constitution's size compared to the Excelsior. In Star Trek 6 you saw them side by side 1701-A is half the size of NCC 2000.This is the same thing as the Miranda-class thing, you're juding them from only 1 angle, from the back, the Excelsior is significantly larger than the Enterprise because she's more massive - taller and wider - but from the side she's only 1.5 times the length (the FX designers on this ensured it from ST3 on).

Show me the book that says the refit is longer.
Here, I just went and grabbed the first one I could think of and shot it (I shot it 3 times, then realized the last pic showed everything I needed): http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/7190/img0003kh2.jpg
That's from the 2nd version of the ST Encyclopedia written by Mike and Denise Okuda, it's an authorized book and they're the ones who came up with all the technical data for TNG and beyond, they WORK on Trek, so if you can't trust this source as canon, I dunno what else can be said.

I don't believe its smaller I know it is. Proof is in the show and movies. The chart also shows an enlarged Miranda class. The Excelsior is too small in the chart.You're just plain wrong about the Excelsior and the Miranda, and as for arguing on the Defiant, it's impossible to argue one way or the other because the show never had a set size, never had a full set of blueprints, never even had a set number of decks.

Corrider vs Corrider Shuttlebay vs Shuttlebay plus crew number. Funny thing is on wiki if any of the info is true there is at least one photo of various ships and structures one of them being 1701 tos showing the ship to be 1000 feet which is 305m. From the looks of it people are getting the numbers backwards. The engine room of 1701 TOS is also larger. I even have old baseball cards showing ship sizes from 1701 on up I'll have to find the binder they're in. The same cards quoted 1701-D's length in feet, 2,108. These came out before the internet was in full swing.Crew number, you've got the wrong one, so I don't count that. For all I know, you took that number as the accurate count from when the ship was undercrewed in ST2, 3, and 5, but the dialogue mentioned that the ship was understaffed in each.

Your baseball card number for the 'D is right, she's 642 meters long, that's based on behind-the-scenes predetermined technical data from the show's producers and design staff. Let's see what they say about the 1701 and refit.

BountyHunterScum
04-12-2007, 05:47 PM
430 vs 300, crew numbers. Valeris in Star Trek 6 said "we have a crew of 300 turning their quarters upside down" or something like that. So what if the refit is smaller, they can make more ships. This is a moot point. Damn even that book doesn't show exact scale. Look at 1701-A and Excelsior side by side at the end of UTC, 1701-A is literally half the size. Yeah well Probert said the 1701-D deflector antenna originally wasn't supposed to be a seperate piece but things evolved. So nothing is absolutely for sure. See I knew you'd come back at me with the internet anyone can say anything comment so I threw it out anyway. I really don't care.

BountyHunterScum
04-12-2007, 06:09 PM
Oh btw I got this from Jackill's site. Not a bad comparison.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w265/BMWM3E92/1701vs1701-A.jpg

BountyHunterScum
04-12-2007, 06:50 PM
Longer nacelles on old enterprise.....

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/constitution-refit.htm

Phantom-like Menace
04-12-2007, 11:48 PM
Corrider vs Corrider Shuttlebay vs Shuttlebay plus crew number. (...) The engine room of 1701 TOS is also larger.

Okay, my parents can knock out the wall between the living room and dining room, but while that makes a larger room, it doesn't make a larger house, and if they divide the living room in two, it wouldn't make a smaller house either.

What's your source on that? I've never seen any claim besides yours that the 1701's engineering hull and warp engines were bigger than the refit

This is the most logical (in my opinion) superimposition of the two:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/constitution/constitution-superimposed.jpg

The nacelles on the prerefit Enterprise are very long, but they also start far forward of where the refit nacelles started.

Set redesign meant to be more accurate, the original version's were done without care, Andrew Probert when he worked on TMP ensured the sets were designed to match his ship designs' scale.

Also if we're judging by internal cues from the movies, how many decks did Star Trek V give the refit Enterprise? Forty something? Enterprise-D has forty-two, so by that system the Enterprise refit is taller than a Galaxy-class starship.

This is the same thing as the Miranda-class thing, you're juding them from only 1 angle, from the back, the Excelsior is significantly larger than the Enterprise because she's more massive - taller and wider - but from the side she's only 1.5 times the length (the FX designers on this ensured it from ST3 on).

I believe the Miranda is supposed to have the exact same size nacelle as the Constitution. If I'm not mistaken on that fact, Bernd's page has the Miranda a hair longer, but not really enough that I would have really noticed had it not been pointed out. That's just from memory though.

430 vs 300, crew numbers. Valeris in Star Trek 6 said "we have a crew of 300 turning their quarters upside down"

As a training ship. That doesn't require a full crew.

BountyHunterScum
04-13-2007, 05:35 AM
It was a training ship in TWOK not UTC. I did notice another thing, in alot of the comparison photos the pre refit enterprise looks warped when compared to the refit picture to picture. The TOS saucer looks likes its been smushed. I don't know man, I just don't know......

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w265/BMWM3E92/SidebySide1701s.jpg

Tycho
04-13-2007, 12:07 PM
Guys. I don't know if you can make this work.

In TOS, the ship had one turbolift onto the bridge. By the movies, the set always had 2 turbolift doors onto the bridge. They could have moved Uhura's station or something, but there was some major work done there.

Next, did they knock off the "wings?" They are straight in TOS, and angled in the movies. You can't add on to straight pieces and get them "that" angled. In a service / construction dock, they'd have to have completely removed the entire nacles.

I don't try and make it consistant in my mind. I just accept that they did things for appearances' sake and plot use in the movies.

The 80-some decks in TFF's Enterprise was done so that Kirk and McCoy would have to climb through the turbolift shaft and Spock could do his comedic scene with the thruster boots. Shatner needed room for that kind of acceleration so he could film his joke. If they were only going up 10-20 decks, there'd be no room for the effect. I'm not arguing that this was even necessary. But Shatner thought it was.

BountyHunterScum
04-13-2007, 12:35 PM
Guys. I don't know if you can make this work.

In TOS, the ship had one turbolift onto the bridge. By the movies, the set always had 2 turbolift doors onto the bridge. They could have moved Uhura's station or something, but there was some major work done there.

Next, did they knock off the "wings?" They are straight in TOS, and angled in the movies. You can't add on to straight pieces and get them "that" angled. In a service / construction dock, they'd have to have completely removed the entire nacles.

I don't try and make it consistant in my mind. I just accept that they did things for appearances' sake and plot use in the movies.

The 80-some decks in TFF's Enterprise was done so that Kirk and McCoy would have to climb through the turbolift shaft and Spock could do his comedic scene with the thruster boots. Shatner needed room for that kind of acceleration so he could film his joke. If they were only going up 10-20 decks, there'd be no room for the effect. I'm not arguing that this was even necessary. But Shatner thought it was.

It might have worked since the ship itself is like a couple of hundred feet tall but yes that turbolift shaft was way too long to be acurate. The DST Electronic 1701 is a piece of artwork btw. Provinding I can convert my Env's video into mpeg I will show yall this beauty. That is the beauty of futuristic technology everything is modular so it's designed to be easily removed and replaced.

BountyHunterScum
04-13-2007, 01:46 PM
Fyi the video quality is crap thanks to photobucket and the transporter sound almost sounds like bells. Sooner or later I will get a very good digital camera.

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w265/BMWM3E92/?action=view&current=DST1701.flv

Tycho
04-13-2007, 04:43 PM
Sweet, James!

You're so mean! You make me want one now! I have:

NX
1701-A
1701-E

That was going to be good for me until I could get the Defiant, Voyager, and some Klingon, Romulan, Cardassian, Vulcan, Ferengi ships, etc. I'd take a Borg Cube if I could get one as big as my whole bookshelf ;) But a Borg Sphere might be plausible in a scale I'd like. (This is why the whole conversation about the scale of the Defiant was of interest to me).

But how did you keep your 1701 lights ON? On the ships I own, they turn off after the sound effect is played out. Is the 1701 TOS that much better in its features? I'm rewatching all my TOS episodes right now, so I'm especially vulnerable to TOS wants and desires. :rolleyes: (someone control me, please!)

But that 1701 looks to be the ship that goes with the AA/ DST collection that I've already started right?

BountyHunterScum
04-13-2007, 05:37 PM
Sweet, James!

You're so mean! You make me want one now! I have:

NX
1701-A
1701-E

That was going to be good for me until I could get the Defiant, Voyager, and some Klingon, Romulan, Cardassian, Vulcan, Ferengi ships, etc. I'd take a Borg Cube if I could get one as big as my whole bookshelf ;) But a Borg Sphere might be plausible in a scale I'd like. (This is why the whole conversation about the scale of the Defiant was of interest to me).

But how did you keep your 1701 lights ON? On the ships I own, they turn off after the sound effect is played out. Is the 1701 TOS that much better in its features? I'm rewatching all my TOS episodes right now, so I'm especially vulnerable to TOS wants and desires. :rolleyes: (someone control me, please!)

But that 1701 looks to be the ship that goes with the AA/ DST collection that I've already started right?

Yes this ship is part of the AA/DST ship line and the lights staying on is a new feature, notice I held the bridge dome for 5 seconds and voila lights as long as I want. I pressed the dome again to turn them off. I have those ships as well, NX-01 and BD NX-01 1701-A BD 1701 Refit 1701-E and now TOS 1701. I skipped the Mirror NX-01. by then Enterprise's appeal to me had worn off.

Tycho
04-13-2007, 05:39 PM
Yes this ship is part of the AA/DST ship line and the lights staying on is a new feature, notice I held the bridge dome for 5 seconds and voila lights as long as I want. I pressed the dome again to turn them off.

That's really cool. I wished my ships I have did that.

Kirk is my favorite captain, btw. Love your avatar. Mine is to make Michael Bay into a vegetable, provided he doesn't redeem himself on July 4th.

BountyHunterScum
04-13-2007, 06:24 PM
That's really cool. I wished my ships I have did that.

Kirk is my favorite captain, btw. Love your avatar. Mine is to make Michael Bay into a vegetable, provided he doesn't redeem himself on July 4th.

I know about your avatar lol:D. Kirk rules Picard can't fight worth crap but he's still a decent captain. :thumbsup:

Tycho
04-13-2007, 07:18 PM
BTW, while I'm watching all my TOS videos, I can't help but bring up that I wished AA / DST would go ahead and release that M-113 Salt Vampire they had prototyped way back when (for the Gorn Wave). I would have loved to have gotten that figure.

BountyHunterScum
04-13-2007, 08:27 PM
BTW, while I'm watching all my TOS videos, I can't help but bring up that I wished AA / DST would go ahead and release that M-113 Salt Vampire they had prototyped way back when (for the Gorn Wave). I would have loved to have gotten that figure.

They probably will release it eventually. Damnit Paramount has screwed blued and tattooed Star Trek. We need another TNG movie to unscrew up the franchise.

Phantom-like Menace
04-14-2007, 05:44 AM
It was a training ship in TWOK not UTC.

I concede the point. I forget Saavik Light wasn't a cadet. Otherwise, crew size is an even worse determiner of size than interior arrangement. I mean, maybe all that internal space was taken up by automation.:razz:

BountyHunterScum
04-14-2007, 03:31 PM
I concede the point. I forget Saavik Light wasn't a cadet. Otherwise, crew size is an even worse determiner of size than interior arrangement. I mean, maybe all that internal space was taken up by automation.:razz:

Who knows, one thing I know is the Okuda's nor Paramount have gone that extra step to prove the refit is bigger. The only comparison pictures that show the refit is longer are the ones with 1701's saucer smushed in the front or some other deformity. Just like a tootsie roll pop, the world may never know. That is funny stuff though my DST 1701 has moved to my favorite ship so far. I would change one little thing by running a fibre optic cable down the dorsal to the shuttle bay doors, make the doors semi translucent resulting in lighted doors and dome on top. The dome would have to be clear since the actual ship in the remastered shots has a white lit up dome, this LED lookalike is green with three painted dots on it.

JediTricks
04-14-2007, 03:38 PM
Longer nacelles on old enterprise.....

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/constitution-refit.htmThat's an excellent comparison, the superimposed version tells it very well. I guess I wasn't factoring in bussard collectors or main deflector as part of their respective elements. Still, the Ent-A is longer than the TOS Enterprise, that's key.

Also if we're judging by internal cues from the movies, how many decks did Star Trek V give the refit Enterprise? Forty something? Enterprise-D has forty-two, so by that system the Enterprise refit is taller than a Galaxy-class starship.They got up to deck 99 during that rocket boots bit IIRC, that was pretty heinous.

I believe the Miranda is supposed to have the exact same size nacelle as the Constitution. Same forward saucer too. There's slight room for discrepency though because the models were built at different scales from each other (the Refit Enterprise model was built at some odd size they didn't like to work with well).

As a training ship. That doesn't require a full crew.
It was a training ship in TWOK not UTC.Keep in mind, the command crew was nearing retirement and the ship was to be mothballed, it was no longer the most vital ship in the fleet so it didn't need to be fully manned anymore.

I did notice another thing, in alot of the comparison photos the pre refit enterprise looks warped when compared to the refit picture to picture. The TOS saucer looks likes its been smushed. I don't know man, I just don't know......

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w265/BMWM3E92/SidebySide1701s.jpgThe TOS' saucer is a smaller diameter and a hair off symmetrical, that'd probably explain why you see it as "smushed".

In TOS, the ship had one turbolift onto the bridge. By the movies, the set always had 2 turbolift doors onto the bridge. They could have moved Uhura's station or something, but there was some major work done there.It's always been assumed that bridge modules can be swapped. The second turbolift wouldn't have interfered with Uhura's station, had it still been there, but they moved it to Scotty's old station anyway (and Spock's station to Uhura's old one - it's like they rotated the whole damn room 90 degrees).

Next, did they knock off the "wings?" They are straight in TOS, and angled in the movies. You can't add on to straight pieces and get them "that" angled. In a service / construction dock, they'd have to have completely removed the entire nacles.Hence the phrase "refit". They removed the old warp nacelles and pylons, and added new ones.

It might have worked since the ship itself is like a couple of hundred feet tall but yes that turbolift shaft was way too long to be acurate. The DST Electronic 1701 is a piece of artwork btw. Provinding I can convert my Env's video into mpeg I will show yall this beauty. That is the beauty of futuristic technology everything is modular so it's designed to be easily removed and replaced.Yeah, the straight turboshaft was ridiculous, it'd have to zig-zag through the neck of the ship if nothing else was complainable.

You have the DST 1701, the TOS version, how did you get it? I didn't realize it was out.

Fyi the video quality is crap thanks to photobucket and the transporter sound almost sounds like bells. Sooner or later I will get a very good digital camera.

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w265/BMWM3E92/?action=view&current=DST1701.flvKinda dark, but still cool to see it going. Does this one run through its whole gamut of lights & sounds when you hold the activation button the way all the others do?

Who knows, one thing I know is the Okuda's nor Paramount have gone that extra step to prove the refit is bigger. The only comparison pictures that show the refit is longer are the ones with 1701's saucer smushed in the front or some other deformity.Probert says it is, he designed it, that's the numbers the fx guys use when comping it, therefore it is larger.

Tycho
04-14-2007, 04:07 PM
I know the Hollywood reason was to make the ship look cooler for the movies.

However, if you want to lay out sensible fiction (considering you have the ultimate logical character on the same show) it would make more sense to get a new ship, rather than do that much work refitting the 1701.

Not to mention:

1701 is what? 30 years old?

Capt. April
Capt. Pike
Capt. Kirk - 5 + years, then a refit, then Capt. William Decker + 3-4 more years until Khan and the Klingons really damaged the ship.

The refitted 1701 got less than 1/3 of the total ship's service time before it was scheduled for retirement anyway (let alone it being destroyed). It seems like a wasted effort if you ask me.

They should have renamed the Yorktown in TMP and destroyed it, then got another Enterprise-class ship. (Prior to refit, the 1701 was Constitution class, then I forgot the class of the refit / Yorktown)

Blue2th
04-14-2007, 05:21 PM
I love the shape of the "Refit" Enterprise. It seems more streamlined than the original which is almost stick-figured in comparison. Though I love them all. :love: Say isn't the "Refit" exactly like the 1701-A? or are there slight differences? Or is this another Blue2th stupid question? lol

Tycho
04-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Production-wise, it's the same physical model. They figured they'd spent enough money on it. So they painted on an "A."

BountyHunterScum
04-14-2007, 06:21 PM
New Force Comics has them, I preordered mine over a month ago. Where did Probert say it?

Tycho
04-14-2007, 06:24 PM
NewForceComics has what? Our conversation is goint all over the place from ships to figures to Salt Vampires. Please fix me.

BountyHunterScum
04-14-2007, 06:30 PM
NewForceComics has what? Our conversation is goint all over the place from ships to figures to Salt Vampires. Please fix me.

They have 1701(in stock) and TWOK BD for preorder plus the other two ships BD 1701 TWOK and BD 1701-E for preorder as well.

Tycho
04-14-2007, 06:49 PM
Too bad the 1701-E won't be missing its whole front end (as seen in Nemesis). That'd make an awesome BD display ship!

BountyHunterScum
04-14-2007, 07:48 PM
Too bad the 1701-E won't be missing its whole front end (as seen in Nemesis). That'd make an awesome BD display ship!

In the picture you can see the very front of the saucer has odd blue lines all over the place. I don't know what the hell those are for.

Tycho
04-14-2007, 08:30 PM
The picture at NewForce didn't enlarge so you could really tell. Any larger link?

Blue2th
04-14-2007, 09:00 PM
Went to New Force and saw those. So the battle damaged Enterprise E and Wrath of Khan are exclusives. I went ahead and ordered the TOS Enterprise since it was such a good price. :thumbsup: Might go back and get those others.
Definitely would like a WOK Enterprise.

BountyHunterScum
04-14-2007, 10:49 PM
The picture at NewForce didn't enlarge so you could really tell. Any larger link? Sure I can find something.

http://www.action-figure.com/images/07/04/enterprise/e.jpg

Phantom-like Menace
04-14-2007, 11:24 PM
Who knows, one thing I know is the Okuda's nor Paramount have gone that extra step to prove the refit is bigger. The only comparison pictures that show the refit is longer are the ones with 1701's saucer smushed in the front or some other deformity.

Why would they smush the saucer and not just reduce the size of the whole ship? If you're going to accuse them of fudging things, why assume they did it the most difficult but least convincing way? Plus, it's not like they took an original drawing from before this "conspiracy" and made it fit; they're completely in charge of the production of the picture from beginning to end and would have had every opportunity to fudge the numbers from the beginning.

That's an excellent comparison, the superimposed version tells it very well. I guess I wasn't factoring in bussard collectors or main deflector as part of their respective elements. Still, the Ent-A is longer than the TOS Enterprise, that's key.

Agreed.

Same forward saucer too. There's slight room for discrepency though because the models were built at different scales from each other (the Refit Enterprise model was built at some odd size they didn't like to work with well).

Yeah, but given that there is the extra length on the Miranda saucer, I prefer to just go by the nacelles.

The TOS' saucer is a smaller diameter and a hair off symmetrical, that'd probably explain why you see it as "smushed".

It could also be bias.

It's always been assumed that bridge modules can be swapped.

I didn't want to get too much into the technical stuff since my source is Okuda and Sternbach's Technical Manual, and they're part of the conspiracy, but the description of the interior habitat modules of the Enterprise-D makes it pretty easy to assume they are fairly easy to remove.

Probert says it is, he designed it, that's the numbers the fx guys use when comping it, therefore it is larger.

Where did Probert say it?

Does it matter where or even if Probert said it? Wouldn't he happily be part of the conspiracy?

The only source you have that seems to go with what you're saying is Jackill, and while you think it's more accurate because it came out before the Internet corrupted the information, it's just as easy to say that it came out before the production staff (who do have something to do with making the movie) corrected his errors.

What would make Jackill such an accurate source anyway? If it were at least Franz Joseph, some statement could be made that anyone involved in the production even gave the book a cursory glance let alone spoke to its accuracy. And that's not saying everything Franz Joseph said is gospel either.

BountyHunterScum
04-15-2007, 12:03 AM
Why would they smush the saucer and not just reduce the size of the whole ship? If you're going to accuse them of fudging things, why assume they did it the most difficult but least convincing way? Plus, it's not like they took an original drawing from before this "conspiracy" and made it fit; they're completely in charge of the production of the picture from beginning to end and would have had every opportunity to fudge the numbers from the beginning.

Agreed.

Yeah, but given that there is the extra length on the Miranda saucer, I prefer to just go by the nacelles.

It could also be bias.

I didn't want to get too much into the technical stuff since my source is Okuda and Sternbach's Technical Manual, and they're part of the conspiracy, but the description of the interior habitat modules of the Enterprise-D makes it pretty easy to assume they are fairly easy to remove.

Does it matter where or even if Probert said it? Wouldn't he happily be part of the conspiracy?

The only source you have that seems to go with what you're saying is Jackill, and while you think it's more accurate because it came out before the Internet corrupted the information, it's just as easy to say that it came out before the production staff (who do have something to do with making the movie) corrected his errors.

What would make Jackill such an accurate source anyway? If it were at least Franz Joseph, some statement could be made that anyone involved in the production even gave the book a cursory glance let alone spoke to its accuracy. And that's not saying everything Franz Joseph said is gospel either.

You said conspiracy I didn't. Who gives a crap. This topic is about the toys anyway.

Phantom-like Menace
04-15-2007, 02:55 AM
You said conspiracy I didn't.

I'm just calling it what you're describing.

Who gives a crap. This topic is about the toys anyway.

We have the Picard Maneuver, the Riker Maneuver, the LaForge Maneuver (and for Star Wars fans the My Little Maneuver of the Battle of Tanaab fame) and now the Rent a Mod Maneuver as ways of attempting to gain tactical advantage.

BountyHunterScum
04-15-2007, 12:58 PM
I'm just calling it what you're describing.

We have the Picard Maneuver, the Riker Maneuver, the LaForge Maneuver (and for Star Wars fans the My Little Maneuver of the Battle of Tanaab fame) and now the Rent a Mod Maneuver as ways of attempting to gain tactical advantage.

Whatever that means. Lazy bastard maneuver.

BountyHunterScum
04-16-2007, 01:05 AM
Ex Astris contradicts itself in the consitution article. He specificly says the old nacelles are larging by saying the new nacelle housing is smaller yet superimposes smaller TOS nacelles in the double ship comparison picture. Therefore that little article isn't exactly reliable. I'll stick to the picture comparison I provided at least it doesn't BS. Just for kicks the picture I mentioned before.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w265/BMWM3E92/600px-Building_and_ship_comparison.png

JediTricks
04-18-2007, 09:59 PM
I love the shape of the "Refit" Enterprise. It seems more streamlined than the original which is almost stick-figured in comparison. Though I love them all. :love: Say isn't the "Refit" exactly like the 1701-A? or are there slight differences? Or is this another Blue2th stupid question? lolYeah, that's my favorite Trek ship of all time by a LARGE margin. The -A is the same model, they just repainted the model's registry numbers. The scene at the end of ST5 when she warps out is actually recycled from ST1.

New Force Comics has them, I preordered mine over a month ago. Thanks for the 411 on that, Rick at NFC is cool, I just checked the site and they were going up so I ordered one, Rick sent it out the next day.

Where did Probert say it?I can't find it in my personal library, I might have read it in the Phase II book which I only borrowed and don't own, but I did find this quote:
http://www.trekplace.com/ap2005int01.html
(accents are mine)

When I first got onto Star Trek: The Motion Picture, I was told by my art director, Richard Taylor, that he wanted me to design all the humanoid spacecraft. That way there would be a perceived visual continuity between all the hardware. And then another team would design V'Ger. My designs actually started with the Space Office Complex, but when it came time to design the Enterprise, he requested that I delegate the job of designing the warp engines to him, because he had these ideas that he wanted to put forth about bringing an art deco look to the new Enterprise. He also instigated the look of various sets of parallel lines around the ship to enforce that theme. So while he was doing the engines, I wanted to actually go larger on the size of the ship, not realizing at the time that the Enterprise was originally in drydock for a refitting. Richard felt we should stay with the proportions that we had inherited from Matt Jefferies and Joe Jennings, when they'd designed it for Star Trek: Phase II. So with that as our starting basis. I lengthened the ship to a thousand feet, just a few feet longer than it was, and enlarged the saucer, eventually adding an updated superstructure to the top and bottom of it. I came up with new photon torpedo tubes and redesigned the whole navigational deflector dish area, updated the impulse engine, and added phaser banks around the ship, visible for the first time, along with a reaction control thruster system to the ship -- those were there for the first time too, designing them in a way that the ship could operate as two independent entities, being the primary and secondary hulls, or as a combined Starship unit.BTW, that's a great interview on that page overall, lots of nifty pics. That sphinx pod is WAY different from the final one we got.

They have 1701(in stock) and TWOK BD for preorder plus the other two ships BD 1701 TWOK and BD 1701-E for preorder as well.I saw them, I was tempted to preorder the Wrath of Khan Enterprise right now, but I won't be sure of my funds till it comes in so I'm gonna wait.

In the picture you can see the very front of the saucer has odd blue lines all over the place. I don't know what the hell those are for.Yeah, that looked rank, my only guess is that they went with a "post-battle-damaged" look where they're rebuilding the ship, something dumb like that.

Yeah, but given that there is the extra length on the Miranda saucer, I prefer to just go by the nacelles.The Miranda-class saucer from the bridge forward is supposed to be identical to the Constitution-class saucer, this isn't the case with the Constellation-class saucer where they added more saucer around the rim (including shuttlebays on the rim!).

the description of the interior habitat modules of the Enterprise-D makes it pretty easy to assume they are fairly easy to remove.The battle-bridge is the best one, they literally HAD to say it was a swap-out job since the set was different from season to season. :p

Ex Astris contradicts itself in the consitution article. He specificly says the old nacelles are larging by saying the new nacelle housing is smaller yet superimposes smaller TOS nacelles in the double ship comparison picture. Therefore that little article isn't exactly reliable. What are you talking about? The TOS nacelles in the superimposed image are bigger: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/constitution/constitution-superimposed.jpg

BountyHunterScum
04-18-2007, 10:21 PM
The image didn't work, sorry I wasn't clear the page says the older nacelles are larger and the new ones are smaller yet the image shows vice versa. That excerpt works for me. Btw he talks about the large windows at the rear of 1701-D's saucer, to my knowledge that window is where the arboretum gardens are. On 1701-A its in the secondary hull right behind the deflecer on both sides. 997 feet/303.8 meters 1701 TOS 1701 Reft 1000 feet/304.8 meters. He said a few feet which few is three feet.

Phantom-like Menace
04-19-2007, 10:44 PM
Yeah, that's my favorite Trek ship of all time by a LARGE margin. The -A is the same model, they just repainted the model's registry numbers. The scene at the end of ST5 when she warps out is actually recycled from ST1.

I'm too much of a modern Trekker. Tell me I have no taste if you like;), but I like the -E. The -D just always looked odd to me, but I liked the arrangement of similar parts into the Nebula.

What are you talking about? The TOS nacelles in the superimposed image are bigger: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/constitution/constitution-superimposed.jpg

The image didn't work, sorry I wasn't clear the page says the older nacelles are larger and the new ones are smaller yet the image shows vice versa.

I can't speak for JT, but I'm in need of a link directly to the image your referencing. Also, given the superimposition clearly, explicitely showing the proper relative size of the nacelles, could your image simply be an error?

That excerpt works for me.

And if we can completely put this to bed for good . . .

From an email with Eric Kristiansen aka Jackill:

Hello, I was wondering if you would be able to answer a couple of questions for me. I've been shown this image http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w265/BMWM3E92/1701vs1701-A.jpg (http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w265/BMWM3E92/1701vs1701-A.jpg) which I'm told is one of yours.

I'm curious if that picture is meant to be an accurate representation of the comparative size of the two ships. If so, given the sizes of 289 meters and 305 meters for the original and refit respectively as given by Michael Okuda et al. do you support a refit that is shorter than the original version? If that picture does represent your assessment of the comparative length, would it be possible--if it doesn't take too much of your time--to explain to me the basis for that comparison?

In answer:

Someone took those from two different web pages on my web site and combined them into a single image.

They were not drawn to scale to each other on the web pages. The Refit should be larger than the Classic

Also, in the interest of full disclosure regarding any possible bias on my part for the much maligned Ex Astris Stercus Tauri, I got an email out of nowhere from Bernd Schneider a couple of days ago asking if I wanted to be involved in a project he's working on. It's unrelated to his Ex Astris Scientia site, but apparently I should count myself a little higher than friend of a friend from years back, though I'd be inclined to believe my email just never got deleted.

BountyHunterScum
04-19-2007, 11:19 PM
I'm too much of a modern Trekker. Tell me I have no taste if you like;), but I like the -E. The -D just always looked odd to me, but I liked the arrangement of similar parts into the Nebula.

I can't speak for JT, but I'm in need of a link directly to the image your referencing. Also, given the superimposition clearly, explicitely showing the proper relative size of the nacelles, could your image simply be an error?

And if we can completely put this to bed for good . . .

From an email with Eric Kristiansen aka Jackill:

In answer:

Also, in the interest of full disclosure regarding any possible bias on my part for the much maligned Ex Astris Stercus Tauri, I got an email out of nowhere from Bernd Schneider a couple of days ago asking if I wanted to be involved in a project he's working on. It's unrelated to his Ex Astris Scientia site, but apparently I should count myself a little higher than friend of a friend from years back, though I'd be inclined to believe my email just never got deleted.

As stated by Probert the refit is three feet longer. The image I'm talking about is on the ex astris site in the Constitution article, this image. The picture is a little off too if the very tip of the saucers were lined up the refit would be alot more than three feet longer.

"
Nacelles Most obviously, the old cylindrical nacelles (length: 156m, diameter: between 13.2m and 16m) were replaced with new angular ones (length: 152m, width: 12m, height: 15.6m). Since rather the propulsion technology than only the mechanical outer surface would be subject to change, we may safely conclude that the warp coils and everything else inside the nacelles are new as well. It is questionable anyway if the old components would still fit into the new (smaller) housing. The new glowing warp field grille is another sign that there are new warp coils. The most obvious evidence, however, is that the Miranda class (http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/schematics/miranda.jpg) seems to employ exactly the same nacelle type. No matter if the Miranda was developed before or after the Constitution refit, the nacelle appears to be a new standard type and not a modification of the original Constitution nacelle."

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/constitution/constitution-superimposed.jpg

Phantom-like Menace
04-20-2007, 12:02 AM
As stated by Probert the refit is three feet longer. The image I'm talking about is on the ex astris site in the Constitution article, this image. The picture is a little off too if the very tip of the saucers were lined up the refit would be alot more than three feet longer.

I still see no page anywhere on that site where the classic nacelles are represented as being shorter than the refit nacelles. As far as how much longer the Constitution refit is than the classic, you'll have to take that to Okuda. Unfortunately I haven't had any clue how to reach him for the last few years nor have I tried.

So relevant to my post:

refit is longer/shorter than the classic
classic nacelles are shown to be longer/shorter than the refit in one/every picture on Ex Astris ScientiaNot relevant to my post:

refit is exactly x number of units of measurement longer than the classic as opposed to y number

BountyHunterScum
04-20-2007, 01:29 AM
I still see no page anywhere on that site where the classic nacelles are represented as being shorter than the refit nacelles. As far as how much longer the Constitution refit is than the classic, you'll have to take that to Okuda. Unfortunately I haven't had any clue how to reach him for the last few years nor have I tried.

So relevant to my post:
refit is longer/shorter than the classic
classic nacelles are shown to be longer/shorter than the refit in one/every picture on Ex Astris ScientiaNot relevant to my post:
refit is exactly x number of units of measurement longer than the classic as opposed to y number

I'm not gonna count on talking to Okuda and I probably wouldn't even if I had the chance because when talking to famous people it's usually a waste of time. Probert's comments officially/unofficially makes the 1701 TOS 304m. I wonder if any of the blueprint makers actually have/had a license to make those blueprints back them. Mandel didn't when he created the "Imperator Class" blueprints.

JediTricks
04-20-2007, 10:43 PM
Check out Probert's models, I don't think they've gotten beyond that shuttlecraft, but it's really nice and he hand-signs the boxes which have a nice piece of source art:
http://probertdesigns.com/Folder_STORE/Folder_CONCEPT-KITS/Concept_KIT_Models.html
And the art's available as a really keen print too:
http://probertdesigns.com/Folder_STORE/Folder_PRINTS/CopernicusOutPAGE.html
That piece of art is so much more Trek than the entire "Enterprise" series IMO. Looks like what McQuarrie did for SW, Probert did a little for Trek.

Btw he talks about the large windows at the rear of 1701-D's saucer, to my knowledge that window is where the arboretum gardens are. On 1701-A its in the secondary hull right behind the deflecer on both sides.There's some debate about that, one of the early sets of blueprints out there claimed they were the arboretum even though it didn't match the set at all, and others have said the arboretum is on the underside of the ship just like on the Refit 1701/A (the arboretum is DEFINITELY on the underside of the refit, it's what those blue windows are). Anyway, he'd know what those windows are originally for since he personally designed the Ent-D.

997 feet/303.8 meters 1701 TOS 1701 Reft 1000 feet/304.8 meters. He said a few feet which few is three feet.Everything I've read says the TOS Enterprise is 289 meters, not 303.

I'm too much of a modern Trekker. Tell me I have no taste if you like;), but I like the -E. The -D just always looked odd to me, but I liked the arrangement of similar parts into the Nebula.What does it mean to be a "modern" Trekker anyway, now that Berman's ruined that with a cruddy prequel? :p I'm a TNG-era Trekkie first, but the Refit 1701/A is far and away my favorite design. I like the E over the D too, but the D's a much more important character to me. I agree with what you're saying on the Nebula class, that rearrangement of elements looks far better than the bloated lines of the Galaxy-class.

BTW, way to go to the source on that one, good call, it never would have occurred to me for some reason.

As stated by Probert the refit is three feet longer.No, you're interpolating that statement without proper foundation, Probert says it's a "few" feet longer and you merely assumed that it meant 3. When you say:

He said a few feet which few is three feet.there's no actual basis in fact to your statement there, the word "few" in Probert's usage means small in amount but not specific. "Few"'s usage is generally three or more, but it can be even as low as two, or as high as a million if the greater number is significantly higher than a million. 16m is just a few meters longer in comparison to 289m, just 5.5%.

(you know, this highlights one of the reasons I consider myself a Trekkie first and a SW fan second, the ability to discuss this stuff with precision, even when we disagree, it's part of the "science" in science fiction. There's no such aspect to Star Wars since it's pretty light on the science aspect of the science fiction, it's much more space fantasy - like the poor Millennium Falcon being multiple sizes.)

The image I'm talking about is on the ex astris site in the Constitution article, this image. http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/constitution/constitution-superimposed.jpg I don't see how you can claim the TOS nacelles are being shown SMALLER in that image when they're physically taller and longer from the tip, plus we know they're also wider and round so they take up even more space.

The picture is a little off too if the very tip of the saucers were lined up the refit would be alot more than three feet longer.Again, that's because the refit isn't 3 feet longer, the TOS Enterprise is 289m and the TMP Enterprise is 305m, that's a difference of 16m, which that image is showing.

Phantom-like Menace
04-20-2007, 11:52 PM
What does it mean to be a "modern" Trekker anyway, now that Berman's ruined that with a cruddy prequel?

What does it mean? Nothing extremely concrete, but I mean TNG, DS9, and Voyager over TOS. Don't get me wrong, TOS started it for me, but in terms of storytelling, TOS never seemed as mature and certainly wasn't subtle. Being smashed over the head with the moral of the week to a Stravinsky-inspired soundtrack never did it for me quite like post season 2 TNG. Every time I think of Enterprise, all I can think of is my friend commenting that I thought that show stunk so much I had to open a window to let the smell out after watching it.

I'm a TNG-era Trekkie first, but the Refit 1701/A is far and away my favorite design. I like the E over the D too, but the D's a much more important character to me. I agree with what you're saying on the Nebula class, that rearrangement of elements looks far better than the bloated lines of the Galaxy-class.

With the exception of the opinion on the -A, I completely agree with all the above. The -D was the ship we loved from '87 until '94.

BTW, way to go to the source on that one, good call, it never would have occurred to me for some reason.

You know, I just didn't even realize that Jackill was still making those books. I went to the website and thought, "There's new stuff coming out?" I haven't read a Jackill manual since high school, more than ten years ago. I might have to pick up the -E manual, and I really wish Pocket Books or whomever would put out some good material on the First Contact ships, Norway, Akira, Steamrunner, and Sabre. I know I might give my left and right arm to have gotten those ships in Micro Machine form.

LTBasker
04-21-2007, 01:43 AM
Weeellll if this thread is due for some figure-related talk, I busted my Art Asylum Trek cherry and ordered 2 of the Red Data & Riker/Troi sets from NFC, so...6 down...a million to go. :p Actually it's not too many that I'm gonna get but rather it's how hard some are to get.

I was bummed to learn that Tapestry Picard was out of stock with DST around the same time I discovered an awesome deal on the Q DVD set. Though NFC has mentioned they've gotten some of the Picards and will be doing a similar thing as they did with Data.

Also, the Star Trek magazine has mentioned the possibility of season 1 Riker (being released at the same time as Picard in chair) having his own chair included.

BountyHunterScum
04-21-2007, 05:43 AM
Check out Probert's models, I don't think they've gotten beyond that shuttlecraft, but it's really nice and he hand-signs the boxes which have a nice piece of source art:
http://probertdesigns.com/Folder_STORE/Folder_CONCEPT-KITS/Concept_KIT_Models.html
And the art's available as a really keen print too:
http://probertdesigns.com/Folder_STORE/Folder_PRINTS/CopernicusOutPAGE.html
That piece of art is so much more Trek than the entire "Enterprise" series IMO. Looks like what McQuarrie did for SW, Probert did a little for Trek.

There's some debate about that, one of the early sets of blueprints out there claimed they were the arboretum even though it didn't match the set at all, and others have said the arboretum is on the underside of the ship just like on the Refit 1701/A (the arboretum is DEFINITELY on the underside of the refit, it's what those blue windows are). Anyway, he'd know what those windows are originally for since he personally designed the Ent-D.

Everything I've read says the TOS Enterprise is 289 meters, not 303.

What does it mean to be a "modern" Trekker anyway, now that Berman's ruined that with a cruddy prequel? :p I'm a TNG-era Trekkie first, but the Refit 1701/A is far and away my favorite design. I like the E over the D too, but the D's a much more important character to me. I agree with what you're saying on the Nebula class, that rearrangement of elements looks far better than the bloated lines of the Galaxy-class.

No, you're interpolating that statement without proper foundation, Probert says it's a "few" feet longer and you merely assumed that it meant 3. When you say:
there's no actual basis in fact to your statement there, the word "few" in Probert's usage means small in amount but not specific. "Few"'s usage is generally three or more, but it can be even as low as two, or as high as a million if the greater number is significantly higher than a million. 16m is just a few meters longer in comparison to 289m, just 5.5%.

(you know, this highlights one of the reasons I consider myself a Trekkie first and a SW fan second, the ability to discuss this stuff with precision, even when we disagree, it's part of the "science" in science fiction. There's no such aspect to Star Wars since it's pretty light on the science aspect of the science fiction, it's much more space fantasy - like the poor Millennium Falcon being multiple sizes.)

I don't see how you can claim the TOS nacelles are being shown SMALLER in that image when they're physically taller and longer from the tip, plus we know they're also wider and round so they take up even more space.

Again, that's because the refit isn't 3 feet longer, the TOS Enterprise is 289m and the TMP Enterprise is 305m, that's a difference of 16m, which that image is showing.

Too late, I've already made my decision. As with Mandel's fan Imperator blueprints the same goes for the blueprints for star Trek back then. Although nice not a rock solid source of info. You want to believe 289 thats your choice, I'm with 304m.

JediTricks
04-21-2007, 05:34 PM
What does it mean? Nothing extremely concrete, but I mean TNG, DS9, and Voyager over TOS. Don't get me wrong, TOS started it for me, but in terms of storytelling, TOS never seemed as mature and certainly wasn't subtle. Being smashed over the head with the moral of the week to a Stravinsky-inspired soundtrack never did it for me quite like post season 2 TNG. Every time I think of Enterprise, all I can think of is my friend commenting that I thought that show stunk so much I had to open a window to let the smell out after watching it.I think we have to define ourselves based on what era we're a fan of now, since "modern" Trek today is Enterprise and the upcoming TOS-prequel movie being made by JJ Abrams (I fear this one will be awful). So I see what you're saying, I'd call it being a "TNG-era fan" though since that era's no longer "modern". :ermm: Plus, TNG is 20 years old this year and I hate to say it, but it feels sorta dated too.

One thing I can stand up for on TOS is the maturity of the storytelling, granted they were forced to do some cheesy scripts, but there was some stuff in there that even today resonates strongly. And a couple things I think made TOS work so well that the later Treks didn't have (especially Enterprise) are a more shakespearean-yet-raw tone to the drama, and an ability to have a sense of humor - you watch DS9 and even when they try to do humorous eps like Tribbles or the the baseball ep or the spy eps, it stands out like a sore thumb because of how humorless the rest of the eps are.

You know, I just didn't even realize that Jackill was still making those books. I went to the website and thought, "There's new stuff coming out?" I haven't read a Jackill manual since high school, more than ten years ago. I might have to pick up the -E manual, and I really wish Pocket Books or whomever would put out some good material on the First Contact ships, Norway, Akira, Steamrunner, and Sabre. I know I might give my left and right arm to have gotten those ships in Micro Machine form.I wish Paramount would get off their arses and do those books you mentioned, but they seem reticent now - there's still no real defined Ent-E or Defiant book (Vulcantouch got me the DS9 tech manual before he died, but it's not much of a Defiant book).

You want to believe 289 thats your choice, I'm with 304m.Except that the 289 number is the one the producers and Mike Okuda have said is accurate.

Tycho
04-21-2007, 05:50 PM
Since this thread is about figures, I just watched "What Are Little Girls Made Of," and think new figures of Androids "Rock" and "Andrea" would be pretty cool. How about you all?

BountyHunterScum
04-21-2007, 06:58 PM
I think we have to define ourselves based on what era we're a fan of now, since "modern" Trek today is Enterprise and the upcoming TOS-prequel movie being made by JJ Abrams (I fear this one will be awful). So I see what you're saying, I'd call it being a "TNG-era fan" though since that era's no longer "modern". :ermm: Plus, TNG is 20 years old this year and I hate to say it, but it feels sorta dated too.

One thing I can stand up for on TOS is the maturity of the storytelling, granted they were forced to do some cheesy scripts, but there was some stuff in there that even today resonates strongly. And a couple things I think made TOS work so well that the later Treks didn't have (especially Enterprise) are a more shakespearean-yet-raw tone to the drama, and an ability to have a sense of humor - you watch DS9 and even when they try to do humorous eps like Tribbles or the the baseball ep or the spy eps, it stands out like a sore thumb because of how humorless the rest of the eps are.

I wish Paramount would get off their arses and do those books you mentioned, but they seem reticent now - there's still no real defined Ent-E or Defiant book (Vulcantouch got me the DS9 tech manual before he died, but it's not much of a Defiant book).

Except that the 289 number is the one the producers and Mike Okuda have said is accurate.

When and where did they say it or are you implying the site itself says they say it?

Phantom-like Menace
04-22-2007, 12:15 AM
Well, a number of people now want this thread back, so this post is just to direct anyone to my off-topic reply to our off-topic conversation.

JT, I've answered your last post in the thread below:

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=544952#post544952

I don't know if that's the best place for it, but there doesn't appear to be any general Trek thread, and the current state of Trek seems to be at least slightly descriptive of some of what we're going on about. If you wanted to move it, do that admin voodoo you do so well.

Otherwise, I'm tired of watching evidence be changed to fit conclusions rather than conclusions changed to fit evidence, so I'm done talking about Constitution size issues.

BountyHunterScum
04-22-2007, 07:41 AM
Well, a number of people now want this thread back, so this post is just to direct anyone to my off-topic reply to our off-topic conversation.

JT, I've answered your last post in the thread below:

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=544952#post544952

I don't know if that's the best place for it, but there doesn't appear to be any general Trek thread, and the current state of Trek seems to be at least slightly descriptive of some of what we're going on about. If you wanted to move it, do that admin voodoo you do so well.

Otherwise, I'm tired of watching evidence be changed to fit conclusions rather than conclusions changed to fit evidence, so I'm done talking about Constitution size issues.

Ditto on done talking about it.

JediTricks
04-26-2007, 09:16 PM
Star Trek: 40th Anniversary TOS Enterprise - Rick at NewForceComics did a great job with a nice price and decent shipping. This is a very welcome piece, especially now that the remastered TOS eps are airing, but I feel like there's something more that could have been done with it, maybe a subtle plated paintjob the way the remastered version looks, or more Shatner lines, or diffusing the top and bottom saucer domes, or lighting the impulse engines, or a couple more sounds. I dunno, it's very nice but it's like DST/AA kneeled at the 10 yard line during a perfect kick return. The ship has nice detailing for what is there, though the plugs covering the screw holes are done very sloppy compared to the rest of this line, and the paint is minimal but effective where added. The shape seems spot-on except the saucer looks a little fat to me. The sounds and lights are nifty except for the Shatner lines which are sloppily taken from eps and don't have the right tone to them, and the warp sound which is too short. Finally, the stand is a big step backwards for this line, it's back to the 1-sided flimsy versions, and this time with a new ugly cylinder acting as a cup outside the ship for the first time (even weirder since this ship, unlike the last one the Ent-E, comes with the solid battery hatch as well). Still, very much worth getting if you're a Trek fan.

When and where did they say it or are you implying the site itself says they say it?I cited the 289m that is Paramount-approved and Okuda-written, back on April 12th, remember? Here again is the link to the picture I took of the ST Encyclopedia:
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/7190/img0003kh2.jpg

I don't know if that's the best place for it, but there doesn't appear to be any general Trek thread, and the current state of Trek seems to be at least slightly descriptive of some of what we're going on about. If you wanted to move it, do that admin voodoo you do so well.No, that's an excellent thread for it, I've responded there.

BountyHunterScum
04-26-2007, 11:54 PM
We're done talking about the length. Nobody really cares.

LTBasker
04-27-2007, 03:40 PM
I know I don't. :p

So anyways...got the AA TOS Enterprise yesterday, awesome little ship. I was hoping it would be slightly larger, at least almost in scale with the micro-machine Galileo but the detail and overall look make up for it. I love the fact they give not just an alternate battery cover without the hole for the stand but a screw with that as well, so if you lose one when replacing them you're not SOL.

The best feature though...the absolutely positively most awesomest feature is the lights. I love it when a toy lights up, but I've always wanted companies to drop the limitations where the lights only stay on for like 10 seconds or have to be accompanied with sound effects. Holding down the button for a few seconds and the lights staying on as long as you want is just down-right brilliant. And the lights are actually bright, making it even better! And the bussard collectors pulse during this, it's like whoa. :D

I just wish you could get an AC adapter or something to leave it on all the time. :p

BountyHunterScum
04-27-2007, 04:52 PM
From the looks of it the lights are all LED's so there is no worrying about them burning out for a very long time if ever.

JediTricks
04-28-2007, 04:06 PM
I love the fact they give not just an alternate battery cover without the hole for the stand but a screw with that as well, so if you lose one when replacing them you're not SOL.I thought the screws for all the ships in this line had washers designed so the screws won't come out of the panels, isn't that right? I haven't paid attention to any of the alternate panels lately except the TOS Enterprise, but that's how I remember it.

The best feature though...the absolutely positively most awesomest feature is the lights. I love it when a toy lights up, but I've always wanted companies to drop the limitations where the lights only stay on for like 10 seconds or have to be accompanied with sound effects. Holding down the button for a few seconds and the lights staying on as long as you want is just down-right brilliant. And the lights are actually bright, making it even better! And the bussard collectors pulse during this, it's like whoa. :DYeah, it's a nice feature, I suspect they just didn't want to before because of a risk that draining the batteries too deep could damage the toy. Still, better to have it do this than run through the sounds gamut the way the others do.

I just wish you could get an AC adapter or something to leave it on all the time. :pIt would be pretty easy to attach some leads from a 3volt AC-to-DC adapter in the battery hatch (just make sure to get amperage that matches the batteries so you don't blow out the circuitry). Of course, if the circuitry isn't designed to run for that long, it could overheat, but I doubt that's a major concern.

BountyHunterScum
04-28-2007, 04:29 PM
I thought the screws for all the ships in this line had washers designed so the screws won't come out of the panels, isn't that right? I haven't paid attention to any of the alternate panels lately except the TOS Enterprise, but that's how I remember it.

Yeah, it's a nice feature, I suspect they just didn't want to before because of a risk that draining the batteries too deep could damage the toy. Still, better to have it do this than run through the sounds gamut the way the others do.

It would be pretty easy to attach some leads from a 3volt AC-to-DC adapter in the battery hatch (just make sure to get amperage that matches the batteries so you don't blow out the circuitry). Of course, if the circuitry isn't designed to run for that long, it could overheat, but I doubt that's a major concern.

Yes the screws had little red washers holding them in.

BountyHunterScum
04-28-2007, 09:14 PM
Corgi Star Trek Die-Cast Klingon Bird of Prey - this line never showed up in my area, so I had no idea what to expect, I tried to buy from EE but they haven't gotten it in yet. Checked ebay and saw a disturbing statement: it was 4" by 5", dinky for something that MSRPs for $25! I found one from www.flyingmule.com (http://www.flyingmule.com) for $10 plus $8 shipping, much better, so I bought it. The packaging is a tube design, seems fancy but more for cars, not spaceships; it's resealable, though the stand halves are on blisters on either end so don't rip them all the way off if you want to reuse. The ship is pretty small, like a thin Action Fleet vehicle, and fairly lightweight, but has a satisfying sculpt and very nice paintjob. There are some pretty well-done little sculpted details, though naturally the metal sculpt is never going to be as sharp as the plastic elements. The wings are not movable sadly, but are fixed in the right position. The cannons and upper rear hull are plastic but blend nicely with the metal elements and have a crisp, unwarped shape. The paint is top notch, although the dayglow-orange engines should really be red. The stand is a thin, painted Klingon Empire logo plugged into a black base, there's even a rubber collar between it and the ship, there's no fancy angle and it just looks good. The ship looks to be close to scale with my Art Asylum Enterprise-A (the K-BoP was much smaller than the Ent). My only other complaints are that the the photon torpedo tube is too simple, the sculpted copyright logos are a bit much, and they didn't sculpt the side-hatch on the bridge. Overall, it's a nice ship that does justice to the source material, but feels like it'd be $10-overpriced if I had paid full price, and it really should have had movable wings. Grade: B

Side hatch on the Klingon bridge? I bet you mean the Escape hatch as seen in Star Trek IV, check the top it's the silver hatch. The ship is represented in original form instead of the customized version from TVH. JT Corgi did send me replacement stand symbols for the ships. 1701-D's black base wasn't damaged so all I needed was a new symbol which I recieved. The Klingon recieved a whole new stand base included. I don't remember if I stated that the 1701-D warp grills are translucent or not but they are. Shining light directly into them or holding them between yourself and a light source works.

JediTricks
04-29-2007, 02:59 PM
Side hatch on the Klingon bridge? I bet you mean the Escape hatch as seen in Star Trek IV, check the top it's the silver hatch.No, can't be that, the hatch they get out from is clearly on the side as it's just above the red pipe that rings the midsection of the "head".

The ship is represented in original form instead of the customized version from TVH.That can't be accurate as the photon torpedo launcher is an "innie" instead of ST3's "outie".

JT Corgi did send me replacement stand symbols for the ships. 1701-D's black base wasn't damaged so all I needed was a new symbol which I recieved. The Klingon recieved a whole new stand base included.That's cool, glad they were able to actually give some customer service that worked out, I wasn't expecting it to.

I don't remember if I stated that the 1701-D warp grills are translucent or not but they are. Shining light directly into them or holding them between yourself and a light source works.Sounds good, do they carry any natural light or only when something is shined at them?

BountyHunterScum
04-29-2007, 04:05 PM
The photon was not an outie that was the energy arc relating to the torpedo's firing. The corgi ship has the Torp module inside the opening itself. They can carry any light but generally it's best lit up when direct light is applied. The hatch is above the hull indentation above the plasma coil(red pipe).
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/stmagazine/bop-on-vulcan.jpg
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/mechanics/bop-model2.jpg

JediTricks
04-29-2007, 05:10 PM
The photon was not an outie that was the energy arc relating to the torpedo's firing. This thing, it was in ST3 every time they showed the front of the ship: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/bop/bop-head-st5-lid.jpg

Tycho
04-29-2007, 05:26 PM
Your links aren't working guys. A complaint about using someone else's bandwidth comes up instead.

Anyway, what is the deal about Klingon ships and escape pods? They do or do not have them?

Must Klingons always go down with their ships? What is the "honorable" rule for determining that?

JediTricks
04-29-2007, 05:28 PM
Copy the links, paste them into the URL bar, add another backslash just before the file names and they'll work. I'll fix the posts above for anybody else who wants to see them.

Tycho
04-29-2007, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the fix.

Anyway, what is the deal about Klingon ships and escape pods? They do or do not have them?

Must Klingons always go down with their ships? What is the "honorable" rule for determining that?

BountyHunterScum
04-30-2007, 11:01 AM
Your links aren't working guys. A complaint about using someone else's bandwidth comes up instead.

Klingons don't have escape pods in the smaller ships apparently and the BOP's from 3 and 5 were two different ships. The bridge sets up were totally different as well. Kruge's throne bridge vs Klaa's periscope bridge. The outie launcher doesn't look like a photon tube can fit through there. The Klaa BOP also didn't have red accents around the torp launcher either it was all plain green. The guy who owns Ex Astris doesn't like the tri-nacelled 1701-D either. I don't really go by that site anyway. Star Trek's version of Curtis Saxton, a real pain in the a**.

Tycho
04-30-2007, 12:02 PM
Who invented the Bird of Prey - the Klingons or the Romulans?

In TOS, Lt. Styles says the Romulan ships "are painted like a giant bird of prey."

On Enterprise, the Klingons already had BOPs.

The Romulans used ships much like TOS Romulan ships. It was said they didn't have warp capability in Balance of Terror - but was that on the prototype ship with the plasma disruptor only? They had both warp drive and cloaking technology on Enterprise it would seem.

In TOS "The Enterprise Incident," the Romulans got their hands on 3 Klingon cruisers, seemingly in trade that gave the Klingons cloaking technology. By TOS movies, the Klingons had cloaks.

By TNG, the Romulans were using warbirds - and a new design showed up in Nemesis (Warbird design, in addition to whatever you'd classify the Scimitar as).

Do I have this right, or does anyone want to correct or add anything?

JediTricks
04-30-2007, 01:55 PM
Klingons don't have escape pods in the smaller ships apparently and the BOP's from 3 and 5 were two different ships. The bridge sets up were totally different as well. Kruge's throne bridge vs Klaa's periscope bridge. Klaa's bridge is based on the TNG set, I believe, which itself is based on the fully redesigned ST4 set. And they shouldn't have escape pods, that's so anti-Klingon!

The outie launcher doesn't look like a photon tube can fit through there. Yeah, there was some design confusion on ST3 with this, some fans claim it's a "lid" covering the tube, but in ST3 you can see a photon torpedo coming from the "lid" like it was a plasma cannon.

The guy who owns Ex Astris doesn't like the tri-nacelled 1701-D either. Understandable, Probert has made it clear that Roddenberry's idea was the warp engines work in tandem so there always had to be an even number of them, Probert's contribution to that was to ensure the engines could also "see" each other. Also, Probert feels the huge cannon under the future D's saucer is anti-Roddenberry and I've always felt similarly.

Who invented the Bird of Prey - the Klingons or the Romulans?

In TOS, Lt. Styles says the Romulan ships "are painted like a giant bird of prey."

On Enterprise, the Klingons already had BOPs.

The Romulans used ships much like TOS Romulan ships. It was said they didn't have warp capability in Balance of Terror - but was that on the prototype ship with the plasma disruptor only? They had both warp drive and cloaking technology on Enterprise it would seem.

In TOS "The Enterprise Incident," the Romulans got their hands on 3 Klingon cruisers, seemingly in trade that gave the Klingons cloaking technology. By TOS movies, the Klingons had cloaks.

By TNG, the Romulans were using warbirds - and a new design showed up in Nemesis (Warbird design, in addition to whatever you'd classify the Scimitar as).

Do I have this right, or does anyone want to correct or add anything?Romulans were the first to have a Bird of Prey warship, the very first one being in TOS, and originally in ST3 Kruge stole the BOP in that film from the Romulans so the Bird of Prey but they changed that script point to lessen confusion. So the Romulans have their own BOP made in TOS, and the Klingons in ST3 developed a totally unrelated BOP of their own.

Nemesis had their own Warbirds, ugly little halfling things, but the Scimitar was not a Warbird.

As for Enterprise, they screwed all that up by making the dumb Klingon 22nd century BOP, it's lame and should be ignored.

BountyHunterScum
04-30-2007, 03:05 PM
Klaa's bridge is based on the TNG set, I believe, which itself is based on the fully redesigned ST4 set. And they shouldn't have escape pods, that's so anti-Klingon!

Yeah, there was some design confusion on ST3 with this, some fans claim it's a "lid" covering the tube, but in ST3 you can see a photon torpedo coming from the "lid" like it was a plasma cannon.

Understandable, Probert has made it clear that Roddenberry's idea was the warp engines work in tandem so there always had to be an even number of them, Probert's contribution to that was to ensure the engines could also "see" each other. Also, Probert feels the huge cannon under the future D's saucer is anti-Roddenberry and I've always felt similarly.

Romulans were the first to have a Bird of Prey warship, the very first one being in TOS, and originally in ST3 Kruge stole the BOP in that film from the Romulans so the Bird of Prey but they changed that script point to lessen confusion. So the Romulans have their own BOP made in TOS, and the Klingons in ST3 developed a totally unrelated BOP of their own.

Nemesis had their own Warbirds, ugly little halfling things, but the Scimitar was not a Warbird.

As for Enterprise, they screwed all that up by making the dumb Klingon 22nd century BOP, it's lame and should be ignored.

I'll throw in my two cents, I suspect the Klingons knew about or later found out about the Romulan BOP so they made one of their own. The Scimitar was it's own class of Warbird I've heard it called a Reman Warbird. The lid you describe could be some kind of rotating magnetic accelerator or the innie extends and rotates simultaneously then shoots. Like a spinning top, in the scene where it nails the Grissom the launcher spins really slow then once the torp is out it spins very fast. The ST5 Klingon shooting is funny is a different way, I may be crazy but at one time I swore the spinner thingy went the other direction for a split second.

JediTricks
05-01-2007, 01:39 PM
I forgot about that spinning aspect! That's true, it does spin, and I wouldn't be surprised if it spun the other way in ST5 momentarily, that film's effects were very sloppy since they went with a cheaper f/x house.

The "outie" lid has no hole, just some coil details - one could argue it's an energy weapon, but I don't see how they thought a photon torpedo was supposed to come out of there since ST2 had just established that photorps are physical casings, not just energy. Maybe they thought they could say it was a plasma torpedo like the Romulan BOP used in TOS, I don't believe those have been established as anything solid - that'd go with the spinning outie, though it wouldn't be consistent with later confirmations of photorps used on the KBOP.

BountyHunterScum
05-01-2007, 03:50 PM
In the Star Trek Generations pc game I boarded the Duras Sisters' old BOP and in the Torp room were casings and a launcher. One of the casings was Soran's Solar Probe. In ST3 they actually mentioned the emergency tube so there is no denying they are casings. If you look closely when the BOP lands on Vulcan in the movie one of the searchlights brushes over the launcher itself revealing it to be an "innie". I think it's been an innie all along they just added the spinner thing to wow movie goers.

JediTricks
05-02-2007, 06:39 PM
"Emergency tube", I don't remember that, could you clarify?

Yeah, I don't think it wows anybody. :p

BountyHunterScum
05-02-2007, 08:42 PM
"Emergency tube", I don't remember that, could you clarify?

Yeah, I don't think it wows anybody. :p

Right after they hit the Enterprise and disabled the automation the Klingon officer can be heard saying. "Ready to fire emergency tube" less than a second later Kruge throws up his hand to stop it from being fired.

JediTricks
05-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Hmm, that's a weird one, I cued it up, it's there, but you can clearly see there's no possible location for such a thing. Also, in the script, the Klingons are talking about emergency power when they mention the line, so it could be a reference to power rather than the tube (which, BTW, in the long shots doesn't have the lid, but the tube is more outie than the Corgi version - my guess is they made the lid on only 1 size of fx model rather than all of 'em). As for the tube, I'd chalk that up to a script mistake or the modelmaker didn't understand what needed to be there for that line to be accurate.

BountyHunterScum
05-02-2007, 10:44 PM
Hmm, that's a weird one, I cued it up, it's there, but you can clearly see there's no possible location for such a thing. Also, in the script, the Klingons are talking about emergency power when they mention the line, so it could be a reference to power rather than the tube (which, BTW, in the long shots doesn't have the lid, but the tube is more outie than the Corgi version - my guess is they made the lid on only 1 size of fx model rather than all of 'em). As for the tube, I'd chalk that up to a script mistake or the modelmaker didn't understand what needed to be there for that line to be accurate.

I bet there is a reserve photon tube somewhere it just hasn't been located. Each BOP like from ST3 "D11 class" has an emergency tube. Check this article out.

http://www.ditl.org/hedship.php?klibirdofprey

BountyHunterScum
05-02-2007, 11:37 PM
To bring back an old debate temporarily, I see Ex Astris replaced the pictures and animated picture in his original vs refit size comparison with new pics. I still believe the original is bigger for more than one reason. The only thing is if I actually said why yall wouldn't listen anyway. No biggie though. One very obvious reason, look at your local naval base. See any huge ships like they had 20-50 years ago? I think not. Newer technology = miniaturization. They only make larger ships now out of necessity. 1701-D's case is that due to the fact they were going to be in deep space for a very long time family members were a must. I'm not really in super nerd mode right now so I'll brainstorm the other crap later.

Tycho
05-03-2007, 12:10 AM
Um, since this thread is about figures, I just thought I'd point out we're getting a lot this year (16 or more!) :

Sisko
Jadzia Dax
Odo
Ezri Dax with sight and rifle
Ezri Dax
(Kira, Bashir, O'Brien are missing this time)

Kirk WOK
Terrel WOK
Khan WOK
Injured Khan WOK
Injured Kirk WOK
McCoy WOK
Sulu WOK
Chekov WOK
Scotty WOK (duty uniform)
(Spock and Uhura are conspicuously missing - exclusives?)

Kirk Dress Uniform (Space Seed)
Khan (Space Seed)

BountyHunterScum
05-03-2007, 12:14 AM
Um, since this thread is about figures, I just thought I'd point out we're getting a lot this year (16 or more!) :

Sisko
Jadzia Dax
Odo
Ezri Dax

Kirk WOK
Terrel WOK
Khan WOK
Injured Khan WOK
Injured Kirk WOK
McCoy WOK
Sulu WOK
Chekov WOK

Khan (Space Seed)

I may get the TWOK figures. If it won't cost alot.

Tycho
05-03-2007, 12:53 AM
Typically $15 / figure and 9 WOK figues (unless some are freebie exclusives from Comic Con) and that's $135 right there.

Oh, I forgot, DS9 will also have some 3rd / 4th season uniform figures, too. As much as I love DS9, I'm going to stick with the movie-style uniforms. But anyway, that's close to 20 figures this year!

BountyHunterScum
05-03-2007, 01:36 AM
Typically $15 / figure and 9 WOK figues (unless some are freebie exclusives from Comic Con) and that's $135 right there.

Oh, I forgot, DS9 will also have some 3rd / 4th season uniform figures, too. As much as I love DS9, I'm going to stick with the movie-style uniforms. But anyway, that's close to 20 figures this year!

To hell with that then.

JediTricks
05-03-2007, 04:45 PM
One very obvious reason, look at your local naval base. See any huge ships like they had 20-50 years ago? I think not. Newer technology = miniaturization. They only make larger ships now out of necessity. 1701-D's case is that due to the fact they were going to be in deep space for a very long time family members were a must. I'm not really in super nerd mode right now so I'll brainstorm the other crap later.Every Enterprise after the TOS version got bigger and bigger at each step, the Ambassador class is bigger than the Excelsior class, the Galaxy class is bigger than the Ambassador, and the Sovereign class is longer than the Galaxy class - this consistently counters what you are saying. Also, the technology has changed, upgraded, from ship to ship in Star Trek while in real life the technology hasn't changed all that much, slight advancements by comparison (and even when they have, it's not always smaller, nuclear subs aren't smaller than diesels). It's the jobs that change the sizes of the ships in the US navy, not the technology, an aircraft carrier is not smaller than before because the job hasn't changed, in fact aircraft carriers have gotten bigger and bigger as time has gone on.

Also, with the 1701, we're talking about a refit, not a new version, refits don't get smaller, they change parts out and add parts on.

Sisko
Jadzia Dax
Odo
Ezri Dax

Kirk WOK
Terrel WOK
Khan WOK
Injured Khan WOK
Injured Kirk WOK
McCoy WOK
Sulu WOK
Chekov WOK

Khan (Space Seed)So much I don't want, but I am tempted by the WOK main characters.

Leaving out Spock is a major mistake, I think they're trying to string along a second wave by keeping a main character for later, but it always backfires for AA/DST with Trek, look at the conspicuous missing Trip from the Enterprise line.

Oh, I forgot, DS9 will also have some 3rd / 4th season uniform figures, too. As much as I love DS9, I'm going to stick with the movie-style uniforms. But anyway, that's close to 20 figures this year!Those prices are agony. Worse still, I think AA's sculpting has gone down when their prices went up as they joined forces with DST. It's going to be very difficult for me to want to get anything beyond Kirk and Khan from WOK. I'm not worried about getting all the extra sucker guys, just the ones I want, but it's a real mixed bag, very push-pull.

BountyHunterScum
05-03-2007, 04:49 PM
Every Enterprise after the TOS version got bigger and bigger at each step, the Ambassador class is bigger than the Excelsior class, the Galaxy class is bigger than the Ambassador, and the Sovereign class is longer than the Galaxy class - this consistently counters what you are saying. Also, the technology has changed, upgraded, from ship to ship in Star Trek while in real life the technology hasn't changed all that much, slight advancements by comparison (and even when they have, it's not always smaller, nuclear subs aren't smaller than diesels). It's the jobs that change the sizes of the ships in the US navy, not the technology, an aircraft carrier is not smaller than before because the job hasn't changed, in fact aircraft carriers have gotten bigger and bigger as time has gone on.

Also, with the 1701, we're talking about a refit, not a new version, refits don't get smaller, they change parts out and add parts on.

So much I don't want, but I am tempted by the WOK main characters.

Leaving out Spock is a major mistake, I think they're trying to string along a second wave by keeping a main character for later, but it always backfires for AA/DST with Trek, look at the conspicuous missing Trip from the Enterprise line.

Those prices are agony. Worse still, I think AA's sculpting has gone down when their prices went up as they joined forces with DST. It's going to be very difficult for me to want to get anything beyond Kirk and Khan from WOK. I'm not worried about getting all the extra sucker guys, just the ones I want, but it's a real mixed bag, very push-pull.

Greed will be the end of AA if they aren't careful. All things aside who cares about it's size.

JediTricks
05-03-2007, 04:52 PM
Greed will be the end of AA if they aren't careful. All things aside who cares about it's size.
I've heard AA already is basically ended, Digger and Unger dumped the talent back into the freelance pool and are just a couple management guys doing a shell company for DST and a few other small jobs.

BountyHunterScum
05-03-2007, 05:02 PM
I've heard AA already is basically ended, Digger and Unger dumped the talent back into the freelance pool and are just a couple management guys doing a shell company for DST and a few other small jobs.

Not surprising their customer service was laughable at best before.

Jayspawn
05-03-2007, 05:03 PM
Who here bought AA's Classic Enterprise? Can you tell me which Kirk phrases it has?

BountyHunterScum
05-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Kirk to Enterprise, Prepare to attack all hands to battle-stations. All weapons to full power.

Tycho
05-03-2007, 05:33 PM
That's too bad about Digger. It's nice to hear about a fan achieving their dreams in this industry - as if I could get a job with Hasbro and help to realize corral skippers, skispray blastboat vehicles, and Yuuzhan Vong army builder action figures for a Star Wars EU line.

I met Digger once at Comic Con and he was a really cool guy. We talked for a bit.

BountyHunterScum
05-25-2007, 03:19 AM
These are in series 2 of the corgi Star Trek stuff in case I didn't show them before.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w265/BMWM3E92/Voyager.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w265/BMWM3E92/DDeridexWarbird.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w265/BMWM3E92/Defiant.jpg

Tycho
05-25-2007, 03:40 AM
Oh, I know it's predictable that I'd ask, but I'll ask anyway:

What's the size / scale range on that Defiant?!

They all look like great little ships, but THAT'S THE DEFIANT!!!:thumbsup:

BountyHunterScum
05-25-2007, 04:00 AM
Oh, I know it's predictable that I'd ask, but I'll ask anyway:

What's the size / scale range on that Defiant?!

They all look like great little ships, but THAT'S THE DEFIANT!!!:thumbsup:

I'd imagine at least 6 inches, they are not out yet and one UK site says they are canceled which until I have concrete proof I refuse to believe.

decadentdave
05-25-2007, 04:42 AM
Does anybody know if the upcoming WNMHGB Enterprise and The Cage Enterprise will have different phrases recorded for them? Also if the Battle Damaged WOK Enterprise and regular WOK will have different phrases as well? I really wish they had done a Reliant for the 25th anniversary. I would love to hear some Khan sounds like "FIIIIIRE!!!" "Full power! Damn you!" "Where's the override? THE OVERRIDE!" "To the last, I graple with thee... for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee" "I've done far worse than kill you. I've hurt you. And I wish to go on hurting you." "Marooned for all eternity in the center of a dead planet, buried alive... buried alive..." :thumbsup:

LTBasker
05-25-2007, 11:12 AM
Rick from NFC has mentioned on the Art Asylum board that the WNMHGB and Cage Enterprises will each have a unique sound chip in them, he's trying to get lists of all the phrases. Dunno about the WOK Enterprises though.

Since the BD WOK-prise is NFC's exclusive and is being produced at the same time as the regular WOK-prise, I don't think there would've been enough funding to put in a different sound chip.

Right now I'm just hoping the WOK-prise lights up as bright as the TOS Enterprise.

BountyHunterScum
05-29-2007, 02:19 PM
I received the Cage version of 1701 today, nice ship. It in fact does have Christopher Pike as well as Kirk's standard voice. It also features both versions of Red alert, production and pilot.

Tycho
05-29-2007, 05:49 PM
It in fact does have Christopher Pike

That's really cool. What does Capt. Pike say?

Sith Lord 0498
05-29-2007, 08:48 PM
I'd imagine at least 6 inches, they are not out yet and one UK site says they are canceled which until I have concrete proof I refuse to believe.

Good heavens, I hope not!!! I want the Defiant!!!

Last I heard, which was about two months ago, was that Series 2 was slated for release in the Fall. This info came from Mike Richards of Razor's Edge Collectibles. I asked him about it when I ordered the Corgi Enterprise-D from him.

BountyHunterScum
05-29-2007, 10:12 PM
That's really cool. What does Capt. Pike say?

He says "We are going to the Talos Star Group and this is Captain Christopher Pike of the United Space Ship Enterprise." Very soon I will have a video I'm waiting on the new digital camera. After which some of you may drool. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
06-03-2007, 10:42 PM
These are in series 2 of the corgi Star Trek stuff in case I didn't show them before.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w265/BMWM3E92/Voyager.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w265/BMWM3E92/DDeridexWarbird.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w265/BMWM3E92/Defiant.jpgOh man, that Romulan Warbird and the Defiant are super fine! I want to buy them right now so badly!

I'd imagine at least 6 inches, they are not out yet and one UK site says they are canceled which until I have concrete proof I refuse to believe.I hope not, but I bet that's true, Corgi's been doing terrible at releasing wave 1, low interest I fear, so it'd make no sense to release a second wave.

BountyHunterScum
06-04-2007, 03:48 PM
Oh man, that Romulan Warbird and the Defiant are super fine! I want to buy them right now so badly!

I hope not, but I bet that's true, Corgi's been doing terrible at releasing wave 1, low interest I fear, so it'd make no sense to release a second wave.

What I'll do is just friggin call Corgi and ask.

JediTricks
06-04-2007, 10:17 PM
If you do, PLEASE let us know what they say.

Tycho
06-05-2007, 02:58 AM
I've been thinking about NOT getting the Art Asylum / DS WOK / DS9 figures.

I was set on not buying them earlier today, but now I kind of want them. :rolleyes:

BountyHunterScum
06-05-2007, 07:57 AM
I've been thinking about NOT getting the Art Asylum / DS WOK / DS9 figures.

I was set on not buying them earlier today, but now I kind of want them. :rolleyes:

JT they haven't returned my call yet but they will and I wouldn't mind having the ST figs but they are too expensive so I've already gotten over that fact.

JediTricks
06-05-2007, 05:19 PM
I hope they do soon, I want to hear news, I prefer good but I'd rather know than not.

BountyHunterScum
06-09-2007, 03:15 PM
One of my Cage 1701's was defective so I had to snap off the nacelle and send it to DST. The Deflector was missing the bowl on the dish. To prevent any salvaging by a garbage diver or whatever I finished the job on the rest of the ship. I gave them both nacelles.

JediTricks
06-09-2007, 05:50 PM
Wow, that's f'ing crazy! I guess it makes sense, but extreeeeeme!

Tycho
06-09-2007, 09:04 PM
Did you shout: "Khhhhhaaaaaaaan!" while you were doing it?

Or: "Today is a good day to die?"

BountyHunterScum
06-09-2007, 09:33 PM
Wow, that's f'ing crazy! I guess it makes sense, but extreeeeeme!

I know exactly why they needed the engine, in the past they sent out replacements without needing "proof of purchase" and according to what I told people found out about it and took advantage of DST. Since they did not have the dish bowl for me to pop onto the ship I had basically no other choice than to snap off the nacelles and send them in. I didn't want any scavengers trying to put this thing back together so I totalled it completely. The inside is fairly sparse.

Did you shout: "Khhhhhaaaaaaaan!" while you were doing it?

Or: "Today is a good day to die?"

Nah, however I was in an already p*ssy mood so it made the job easier. If I had shouted it would have been a war cry or something. Like the R Lee Ermy figure's demonstration. Lemme hear your war cry scumbag! That aint a war cry AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!! that's a war cry. :D

JediTricks
06-10-2007, 02:07 PM
The inside is fairly sparse.You mean antimatter and warp plasma didn't spill out on your lap? ;)

BountyHunterScum
06-10-2007, 04:56 PM
You mean antimatter and warp plasma didn't spill out on your lap? ;)

Nope lol antimatter doesn't spill it just explodes so that wouldn't be good. I don't think A/M is a liquid though.

BountyHunterScum
06-10-2007, 07:35 PM
I get the replacement ship tomorrow according to UPS tracking. I hate it when they bring new people in, one time I had a package coming and this rookie was training and the result was a package that was several days late.

JediTricks
06-10-2007, 07:51 PM
Nope lol antimatter doesn't spill it just explodes so that wouldn't be good. I don't think A/M is a liquid though.
Antimatter only explodes when it comes in contact with matter, so if it doesn't impact any matter of any kind, including air, you should be fine. You may want to extend your magnetic bottling system though just in case. :p

You don't *know* antimatter isn't liquid! :D

BountyHunterScum
06-11-2007, 06:33 AM
Antimatter only explodes when it comes in contact with matter, so if it doesn't impact any matter of any kind, including air, you should be fine. You may want to extend your magnetic bottling system though just in case. :p

You don't *know* antimatter isn't liquid! :D

I really don't, I was never interested enough to look into it.

Antimatter
Matter which consists of antiparticles, elementary particles of ordinary matter, such as protons and electrons, but have an opposite electrical charge. For example, an antiproton has a negative charge while a proton has a positive charge. When a particle of matter and a particle of antimatter come into contact with each other they are destroyed, releasing energy.

Obviously not a liquid.

JediTricks
06-11-2007, 08:21 PM
What about that precludes it being a liquid?

BountyHunterScum
06-12-2007, 04:36 PM
What about that precludes it being a liquid?

You said spill so that usually implies liquid lol. Energy can spill too hypothetically but here on earth liquid usually spills per-se.

JediTricks
06-12-2007, 06:15 PM
No, I mean, what about your description above precludes antimatter being liquid?

LTBasker
06-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Maybe this will help...

http://livefromcern.web.cern.ch/livefromcern/antimatter/index.html

Not that I understood much of it, science is not one of my strong areas.

BountyHunterScum
06-12-2007, 09:49 PM
No, I mean, what about your description above precludes antimatter being liquid?

Nothing, this is a ridiculous discussion so lets move on. The Cage 1701 has gone up in price at NFC it's now $10 more. They must be selling like hotcakes.

JediTricks
06-13-2007, 09:48 PM
Basker, the first picture on the site is liquid! :p

I think that's what NFC usually does, early sales are at the good price and then once he's gotten the word out, he raises the price for profitability.

That reminds me, I still need to preorder the WOK Enterprise.

BountyHunterScum
06-14-2007, 10:51 AM
Basker, the first picture on the site is liquid! :p

I think that's what NFC usually does, early sales are at the good price and then once he's gotten the word out, he raises the price for profitability.

That reminds me, I still need to preorder the WOK Enterprise.

The site's synopsis of 1701 refit's self destruction is dead wrong. They refer to star trek and antimatter. It said kirk ordered the computer to mix the two and blow the ship, when in fact all starfleet ships have explosive packs lining the inner hull in a configuration designed for maximum effect. It also said radiation leaking from the antimatter converter is what killed Spock, also an error. He went face first into that blue energy.

Blue2th
06-17-2007, 01:47 PM
The Cage 1701 has gone up in price at NFC it's now $10 more. They must be selling like hotcakes.
Well, I received mine. I must say I'm dissapointed with this version.
It has the exact phrase of Kirk saying "Prepare to attack all hands battlestations"
What gets me is the nacelles do not light up at all.
This TOS Enterprise is a rip-off. The only thing that makes it different from the earlier TOS release is a little sticker on the box saying "U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 from "The Cage" and the pointed nacelles that do not light up. :upset:

BountyHunterScum
06-17-2007, 02:36 PM
It has the exact phrase of Kirk saying "Prepare to attack all hands battlestations"
This TOS Enterprise is a rip-off. The only thing that makes it different from the earlier TOS release is a little sticker on the box saying "U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 from "The Cage" and the pointed nacelles that do not light up. :upset:

More than those, bridge dome, nacelle end caps. Enlarged deflector dish bowl. The nacelles on the facing each other side don't have painted silver mesh or anything either. Where No Man Has Gone Before version is coming in the fall. Hopefully the multi-holed impulse exhaust is on it.

LTBasker
06-17-2007, 02:45 PM
Aside from all those differences, the angled little "wings" coming off of the rear of the nacelles are also different. The regular TOS Enterprise has them filled in making them appear to be fins/wings, whereas on the Cage version they have nothing in the middle making them appear as bars/tubes.

It's a very minor detail that I'm surprised they bothered with.

decadentdave
06-17-2007, 04:38 PM

Uh, I think you mean you got the "Where No Man Has Gone Before" version NOT "The Cage" because that one has Capt. Pike voice sounds but that's good to know that the sound chip is the same in both the Classic Enterprise and the WNMHGB version which is why I passed on it. The nacelles and such weren't enough for me to justify getting it. I WILL however get the Cage version just for the new Pike sounds.

Anybody know if the Battle Damaged WOK Enterprise will have different sounds from the clean version? I would hope so because it would make a good selling point but they will probably skimp out and just paint the regular version battle damaged. I just wish they had given us a Reliant seeing as how this IS the 25th anniversary of "KHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNN!!!!!!!"

Just think how cool a Reliant would be with sounds like:

"Marooned for all eternity in the center of a dead planet... buried alive... buried alive..."

"Ah Kirk, my old friend, do you know the Klingon proverb that tells us revenge is a dish that is best served cold? It is very cold... in space..."

"I deprived your ship of power and when I swing around I mean to deprive you of your life!"

"Full impulse power! Damn you!"

"I shall avenge you!"

Blue2th
06-17-2007, 05:31 PM
Uh, I think you mean you got the "Where No Man Has Gone Before" version NOT "The Cage" because that one has Capt. Pike voice sounds but that's good to know that the sound chip is the same in both the Classic Enterprise and the WNMHGB version which is why I passed on it. The nacelles and such weren't enough for me to justify getting it. I WILL however get the Cage version just for the new Pike sounds.

No DD, I swear mine has a little sticker on it that says it's "The Cage" version. I ordered it from New Force.
I even e-mailed them to complain that the nacelles don't light up (as the box says)
They responded by saying that they are not supposed to on "The Cage" version.
Apparently they are using the TOS Enterprise box and putting a little sticker on it for the "The Cage" version.
I didn't notice the other little cosmetic differences mentioned by LTB and James3etc., as I haven't taken it out of the box yet, or examined it closer.
I have read that the other TOS WNMHGB Enterprise has Pike saying quite a few phrases, though the ship is probably exactly like "The Cage" version cosmetically.
I do have that one on order as well.

decadentdave
06-17-2007, 05:55 PM
Now you are confusing me. Pike was in "The Cage" not "WNMHGB" so that version should have Kirk's voice, not Pike. So are you saying you bought "The Cage" and it is just a repackaged version of the regular series Enterprise with just the sticker on the box? I will be disappointed if "The Cage" doesn't have Pike.

Blue2th
06-17-2007, 06:07 PM
You know after you mentioned that my Enterprise is (posibly)the WNMHGB version Decadentdave, I went back to Newforce and checked which was which. Sure enough the WNMHGB version is the one with Kirk's voice.
Now I am perplexed as to why mine has the sticker with "The Cage" on it but has Kirk's voice.
There is no obvious signs of tampering to the box, and it is the slightly different TOS Enterprise with pointed nacelles.
I e-mailed Rick at Newforce again and asked him why the discrepency
Is there some kinda mix-up or switcheroo going on?
I even mentioned that someone at SSG forums tipped me off to this if indeed it is the case.
I have the WNMHGB as well as the WOK, WOK battle-damage, and the Enterprise E battle-damaged on order there also.
I hope I get a satisfactory answer to this.

BountyHunterScum
06-17-2007, 07:56 PM
The Cage version has both Kirk's and Pike's voices. DST either got lazy or didn't feel the need to input Cage only sounds. It has what the regular ship has sound wise plus Pike's voice and the Pilot Red Alert. Even the WNMHGB version doesn't have light up bussard scoops. Before the remaster the light up bussards were semi-rare to see. Now that they remastered it the light up rotating scoops are normal. The second pilot version also has hull markings that are different. This is possibly a prototype picture.

http://bp3.blogger.com/_LQtZsmCAqAs/RknNpqHmIPI/AAAAAAAAAL4/hteSO8uEttc/s1600-h/WNMHGB+Enterprise.jpg

BountyHunterScum
06-17-2007, 09:17 PM
Crap quality but The Cage stuff is audible.

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w265/BMWM3E92/?action=view&current=0617072205.flv

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w265/BMWM3E92/?action=view&current=0617072215.flv

decadentdave
06-17-2007, 09:26 PM
That's hilarious. With the giant hand grabbing the ship it looks just like the hand of Apollo from Who Mourns For Adonais! :D

Blue2th
06-17-2007, 09:49 PM
So Rick at Newforce said that both versions "The Cage" and "WNMHGB" have the same Kirk phrase in "Try me" mode. To get to the Pike phrases, it has to be at "on" mode.
Does anyone know where that is?
Do I have to remove it from the box?
Is there another switch?
I didn't quite make out what the hand on U-Tube was pressing other than the "Try me" button.
Should I e-mail Rick again and ask where the "on" button is? :ninja:

decadentdave
06-17-2007, 10:10 PM
That's correct Blu2th, you have to set the switch by removing the screw from the battery cover under the hull so yes, you have to remove it from the box.

Still, I think it's lame they left the Kirk sounds on the same chip. Guess if you don't have the other version you get the best of both worlds (no pun intended) but I'd rather they dumped the recycled phrases and sounds and add a few more pilot sounds and Pike phrases.

Blue2th
06-17-2007, 10:26 PM
That is kinda lame. Think I'll open up the regular TOS Enterprise instead. Since it at least has light-up engines.
Well at least we cleared that up (thanks) and I discovered I didn't get ripped off after all.
I feel bad about being suspicious of Newforce.
After all I got it at such a low price of 29.00
I have four more different Enterprises coming from them. So all is good.

BountyHunterScum
06-17-2007, 11:22 PM
That's hilarious. With the giant hand grabbing the ship it looks just like the hand of Apollo from Who Mourns For Adonais! :D

Hehehehe. lol Lame or not this ship might command a huge amount like 1701-A did at some point, it might. I have clean WOK Enterprise on preorder and WNMHGB as well. The pilot ships on the shows are lame because of the bussards not lighting up and so on. The Jackills site has schematics for both versions the picture he has on there of both ships show the 2nd pilot's bussards having grooves in the domes themselves. Kindof like a mid way between Cage and Production design. NFC is now currently sold out of Cage 1701's oddly enough. I kinda do want this one to be a completist but Rick from nfc said he declined to carry these because he felt that it was too redundant with so many versions already coming out. Gold 1701's. I just found this photo I was scavenging for in my computer. I renamed it so it's easier to find now.
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w265/BMWM3E92/Gold1701DST.jpg

decadentdave
06-18-2007, 12:42 AM
Wonder if those will be a ComiCon exclusive? I have the Playmates Gold 7th anniversary 1701-D but I just can't seem to get excited about these gimicky gold variants. I prefer scaled model accuracy since I can't afford one of those luxurious Master Replicas so I have to stick with the $30 poor-man's edition. And frankly, for the price, these aren't too bad.

Now where's my f'n Reliant?

BountyHunterScum
06-18-2007, 12:49 AM
Wonder if those will be a ComiCon exclusive? I have the Playmates Gold 7th anniversary 1701-D but I just can't seem to get excited about these gimicky gold variants. I prefer scaled model accuracy since I can't afford one of those luxurious Master Replicas so I have to stick with the $30 poor-man's edition. And frankly, for the price, these aren't too bad.

Now where's my f'n Reliant?

They were limited to 300 and a Japan only exclusive after Rick declined. Blister had them, it's a store in Japan. Had Rick accepted he told me he would have charged $29.99 for them. I took these just for spite before this ship met the landfill at some point.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w265/BMWM3E92/0530071316a.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w265/BMWM3E92/0530071316.jpg

JediTricks
06-19-2007, 01:12 AM
Man, I totally would have made the USS Defecto into a destroyed ship, even without the skills to do so. :p

BountyHunterScum
06-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Man, I totally would have made the USS Defecto into a destroyed ship, even without the skills to do so. :p LOl yeah. Shoot holes in it.

JediTricks
06-20-2007, 09:00 PM
I like fire too! :D

JediTricks
07-14-2007, 02:04 PM
I am so annoyed with DST/AA right now, that crappy stand ball-joint design they put on the TOS Enterprise has completely failed on me, the ball is too loose to hold the vehicle up at all and most angles where it's cocked to the side the base of the stand isn't wide enough or heavy enough to counterbalance, I just had the stand tumble off a shelf and crash my Enterprise into the floor - luckily I was standing right there so I was able to slow the decent enough to keep the ship from breaking, but SO lame!

LTBasker
07-14-2007, 04:01 PM
I don't understand their problem with stands, is it really that hard to make a decent one? I can understand them wanting to keep with the styled and articulated stand, but it just doesn't work with the materials (and budget?).

On a Trek forum, someone suggested using this:
http://eagle-istand.com/eagle1.htm

Pics of the stand used on the Playmates and Polar Lights Enterprises:
http://eagle-istand.com/photo_album/thumbnails.php?album=15

To my eyes though, that is just waiting for the slightest bump to make it shake and whatnot. I like the idea of those Flexidisplay ones better...

http://www.hlj.com/product/LFTFD002
http://www.laftoys.com/index.php?cPath=15

JediTricks
07-14-2007, 04:39 PM
The Flexidisplay one looks decent, that coat hangar-wannabe one does not. The problem with the Flexidisplay one is it's a pricey design, and now you're relying on 3 ball joints not to fail instead of just 1.

Really, I don't get why they abandoned the design on the Enterprise-E stand, that thing wasn't the most attractive stand but it's friggin' STABLE for once, and it goes into the ship rather than that stupid external cup on the TOS Enterprise (naturally DST didn't include the alternate battery hatch for the Ent-E :mad: ).

BountyHunterScum
07-14-2007, 06:34 PM
I'd need something with a crescent shape to hold the engineering hull and two long arms to hold the saucer with these stands yall have linked.

BountyHunterScum
07-14-2007, 06:37 PM
I am so annoyed with DST/AA right now, that crappy stand ball-joint design they put on the TOS Enterprise has completely failed on me, the ball is too loose to hold the vehicle up at all and most angles where it's cocked to the side the base of the stand isn't wide enough or heavy enough to counterbalance, I just had the stand tumble off a shelf and crash my Enterprise into the floor - luckily I was standing right there so I was able to slow the decent enough to keep the ship from breaking, but SO lame!

Non-toxic glue in the module that holds the ball joint itself? Perfectly straighten it then glue it, it dried overnight then maybe who knows. Just an idea.

Tycho
07-15-2007, 03:31 AM
On Rebelscum I think, they advertise clear display stands (probably the ones with the three ball tops that JT mentions) that I'm considering for my Star Wars vehicles I want to display flying when I don't want to hang an entire fleet from my ceiling (B-wing with its s-foils deployed for example).

However, my 3 Star Trek ships stay on their stands just fine:

NX-01
1701-A
1701-E

These are all the ships I want unless I find somewhat good scale Defiant and Voyager toys.

I just might go for Klingon, Romulan, Cardassian, Breen, and Jem Hadar ships in the future (maybe Ferengi, Tholian, Vulcan, or Andorian) but I'd want a Borg cube as large as my coffee table. Ha! (Maybe a sphere the size of one of those exercise balls could work though).

BountyHunterScum
07-15-2007, 05:02 PM
All of my ships stand fine my cage 1701 had probs but I used the destroyed ship's stand in place of the loose one and it was tight enough to do the job.

JediTricks
07-16-2007, 04:23 PM
Non-toxic glue in the module that holds the ball joint itself? Perfectly straighten it then glue it, it dried overnight then maybe who knows. Just an idea.I can't trust glue here in earthquake country. We had a little one last night at 2:37am (I looked it up right after it happened) that jolted the room, it didn't knock down the TOS 1701 because I had just counter-weighted the stand with some nickels (they're heavy for their size) but if the ship had been glued upright instead of angled into the stand, it likely would have snapped sideways and given out, then been violently tossed to the ground.

On Rebelscum I think, they advertise clear display stands (probably the ones with the three ball tops that JT mentions) that I'm considering for my Star Wars vehicles I want to display flying when I don't want to hang an entire fleet from my ceiling (B-wing with its s-foils deployed for example).It was Basker who posted the 3-prong stands, not I. They look decent, I don't have any flat surfaces to actually use them on though. :p

However, my 3 Star Trek ships stay on their stands just fine:

NX-01
1701-A
1701-ENX-01 is wobbly because of the half-curve stand, but the ship is very light so it copes well. The Ent-E has the best stand design, it's got 2 curves and is pretty stable and balanced, but limits range of motion on the ball joint due to the ball being too low. The 1701-A I haven't used the stand on yet, I will when the WOK 1701 shows up later this month though, but i have a bad feeling about it.

These are all the ships I want unless I find somewhat good scale Defiant and Voyager toys.

I just might go for Klingon, Romulan, Cardassian, Breen, and Jem Hadar ships in the future (maybe Ferengi, Tholian, Vulcan, or Andorian) but I'd want a Borg cube as large as my coffee table. Ha! (Maybe a sphere the size of one of those exercise balls could work though).Too bad you want scale, Playmates' Defiant is huge and beautiful, easily their best effort to date, and one of their only ships to use ACCURATE sounds.

Tycho
07-16-2007, 04:29 PM
Too bad you want scale, Playmates' Defiant is huge and beautiful, easily their best effort to date, and one of their only ships to use ACCURATE sounds.

Well, then that might warrant an exception. It IS the Defiant afterall - my favorite Star Trek ship!

BountyHunterScum
07-16-2007, 09:20 PM
Thank god we don't have many quakes here, they are extremely rare in these parts.

JediTricks
07-17-2007, 12:29 AM
The worst part about the Defiant is that the stickers that go around the warp engines, I can't figure out how they're supposed to work for crap. but the paint is accurate, the engines and nose light up, it has 4 awesome sounds with non-intrusive buttons around the bridge, and the nose even pivots from vertical to a slight downward angle because the model looked that way in many episodes. Hell, the stand even works better than other Playmates designs, the shuttlebay on the underside can be removed (via a slider, not screwdriver) and replaced with the stand... damnit, I need to find that stand, I have mine sitting on the shelf and now I want that changed. :p

Quakes haven't been too bad, we had a 5 a few years back that didn't even knock down but 3 or 4 of my hundreds of freestanding figures. I know a lot of folks are freaked out by the threat of quakes though, they're scary at first but they're also kinda exciting and usually the odds of damage or injury are quite low, well under 0.01%, I think - the big Northridge quake of '94 had an injury rate of 0.122% despite being the hardest-felt quake ever recorded in North America.

Tycho
07-17-2007, 01:31 AM
James: you're in Virginia. That's close to Pennsylvania. You should have a lot of Quakers!

JediTricks
07-17-2007, 01:46 AM
That pun is so bad, I think it'd make an Amish person punch you in the gut.

Tycho
07-17-2007, 09:07 AM
Yes, but do you know why you can never insult Quakers on the internet? :D

BountyHunterScum
07-17-2007, 11:11 AM
James: you're in Virginia. That's close to Pennsylvania. You should have a lot of Quakers!

Yep plenty of quakers up there. I have quakers grits in the kitchen. :yes:

JediTricks
07-18-2007, 02:17 AM
So, I went and looked at the TOS Ent stand again today, and it's even worse off than I feared - the sleeve that connects the ball joint to the ship has cracked and failed in several sections, and yet this is NOT causing the problems with the ball joint's failure. And it's still holding onto the ball joint part, so I don't know what to do at this point, if I use krazy glue to put it back together it'll be brittle and could break worse or get stuck on the ball joint part. I dunno... I think DST really messed this up bad.

Yes, but do you know why you can never insult Quakers on the internet? :D
Uh, no. And if you say "because they're not on the internet, they don't use technology", many members of the Religious Society of Friends actually DO use the internet. Just because they believe in the testimony of simplicity doesn't mean they're Amish or Mennonites. In fact, the Quakers even have websites: http://www.quaker.org/

Tycho
07-18-2007, 04:20 AM
I should have said Amish....however, you guys were talking about quakes...and - you get it, but forget it. :o

BountyHunterScum
07-18-2007, 09:17 AM
So, I went and looked at the TOS Ent stand again today, and it's even worse off than I feared - the sleeve that connects the ball joint to the ship has cracked and failed in several sections, and yet this is NOT causing the problems with the ball joint's failure. And it's still holding onto the ball joint part, so I don't know what to do at this point, if I use krazy glue to put it back together it'll be brittle and could break worse or get stuck on the ball joint part. I dunno... I think DST really messed this up bad.

Uh, no. And if you say "because they're not on the internet, they don't use technology", many members of the Religious Society of Friends actually DO use the internet. Just because they believe in the testimony of simplicity doesn't mean they're Amish or Mennonites. In fact, the Quakers even have websites: http://www.quaker.org/

DST might replace the stand piece for you. Maybe you should contact Chris Meyer he helped me with the Cage 1701 replacement.

Jayspawn
07-18-2007, 10:20 AM
Damn! Entertainment Earth had the Mirror,Mirror set on sale this last week and I waited too long! Grr! Hopefully they'll have it on sale again maybe for a fall sale.

Anyways, is TWOK series out yet?

Tycho
07-18-2007, 11:23 AM
I just watched TWOK only hours ago and loved it (again). It's a perfect movie (let alone one of the best Star Trek movies).

But I THINK I can forgo collecting action figures from it. This is curious because I CAN see myself watching TWOK again almost immediately. It's a fun movie that never gets old. "I don't like to lose."

But it does tug at the heartstrings to buy those darn figures, doesn't it? Perhaps when a Spock figure is revealed I'll really get back to going ga-ga over them. I really want the whole TWOK crew and extras, plus multiple outfits for each (like their civilian clothes as well).

Part of it is the scary notion: "I better have everything while I can (at retail) for if they make the rest of the stuff I want (Spock in his meditation robe, Khan's first lieutenant, Carol & David Marcus, etc.) I don't want to be catching up on 2ndary market prices.

JediTricks
07-18-2007, 04:01 PM
I should have said Amish....however, you guys were talking about quakes...and - you get it, but forget it. :oYOU BLEW IT!!! :p

DST might replace the stand piece for you. Maybe you should contact Chris Meyer he helped me with the Cage 1701 replacement.Wow, that never occurred to me. I'll give it a shot, thanks!

BountyHunterScum
07-19-2007, 10:07 AM
YOU BLEW IT!!! :p

Wow, that never occurred to me. I'll give it a shot, thanks!

Let me know how the stand thing goes.

Jayspawn
07-26-2007, 02:57 PM
Just a heads up, NewForceComics.com has a SCDD Exclusive set of TWOK figures for preorder -which includes McCoy, Scotty, Chekov, Sulu and battle Raved Khan! They have limited availability and tracking down Exclusives is a pain.

Heck, I still dont have any of the Mirror, Mirror Exclusives except for Scotty.

BountyHunterScum
07-26-2007, 04:21 PM
I preordered a set of the SDCC figs thanks for the heads up.

JediTricks
08-02-2007, 05:06 PM
They had the McCoy in their booth and NOTHING ELSE. Cases of 'em. I had to buzz by when I saw this or I would have stopped to say hi to NFC's Rick, but I was expecting a lot more STUFF there, not just 1 thing. I suspect they had to do this last minute, their booth was in dealer hell at the far side of the room rather than up by AFX and those mugs.

Tycho
08-02-2007, 05:12 PM
their booth was in dealer hell at the far side of the room rather than up by AFX and those mugs.

It always was. You apply early and pay more for your position for your dealer space at Comic Con and Rick doesn't like to spend more than it's worth. With Star Trek exclusives and a good reputation, he lets his customers seek him out rather than pay to be obvious to impulse buyers he can't count on.

Rick is a great fan, all-around-nice-person, and an astute businessman. NewForce is usually located somewhere off the main beaten pathways at Comic Con.

I didn't see him this year myself due to lack of time and not feeling well enough to go early than nearly 5pm on Saturday, but then I'm making a concerted effort to buy less and less stuff now due to lack of space to keep it all in.

BountyHunterScum
08-02-2007, 05:26 PM
It always was. You apply early and pay more for your position for your dealer space at Comic Con and Rick doesn't like to spend more than it's worth. With Star Trek exclusives and a good reputation, he lets his customers seek him out rather than pay to be obvious to impulse buyers he can't count on.

Rick is a great fan, all-around-nice-person, and an astute businessman. NewForce is usually located somewhere off the main beaten pathways at Comic Con.

I didn't see him this year myself due to lack of time and not feeling well enough to go early than nearly 5pm on Saturday, but then I'm making a concerted effort to buy less and less stuff now due to lack of space to keep it all in.

I didn't even have to go to SDCC to get the exclusive set and khan. I can't complain.

JediTricks
08-05-2007, 07:50 PM
I really wanted to track down the WOK figures in person just to tempt me to get them, but it never happened - I saw Bones & Scotty figs but the rest were no-shows and it kept the cash in my wallet.

Rick is a great fan, all-around-nice-person, and an astute businessman. NewForce is usually located somewhere off the main beaten pathways at Comic Con.IMO, that is a HUGE mistake at a show like this because he has something most other etailers at that level can't compete with - a reputation for integrity to this specific brand. He should have been representing better than that, he's a good guy and deserves more eyes on the booth than what he ended up with.

I didn't see him this year myself due to lack of time and not feeling well enough to go early than nearly 5pm on Saturday, but then I'm making a concerted effort to buy less and less stuff now due to lack of space to keep it all in.That's the other thing, the exhibitor hall was open 10am to 7pm yet it still seemed like nobody had time to track his booth down, that's a real shame but it does have something to do with his lack of promotions and his booth location.

Jayspawn
08-10-2007, 09:07 PM
I had a great idea for another 2-pack. Captain Kirk and Picard from "Generations." Picard wearing the DS9/Vgr uniform and older Kirk in Captain's Vest. I'd be all over this. A 3-pack with Dr. Soran would be sweet too!

BountyHunterScum
08-11-2007, 01:03 AM
I had a great idea for another 2-pack. Captain Kirk and Picard from "Generations." Picard wearing the DS9/Vgr uniform and older Kirk in Captain's Vest. I'd be all over this. A 3-pack with Dr. Soran would be sweet too!

Yeah that would be nice, plus a USS Excelsior toy along with USS Reliant. I don't know if anyone wants a 1701-C toy, I wouldn't mind it but I'm not hurting for one. 1701-D would be cool at least that would light up properly unlike the playmates 1992 version. The only thing DST dropped the ball with ship wise was 1701-E's non illuminated warp grilles.

Tycho
08-11-2007, 01:34 AM
Uggh. I so want to hear about more figures:

What about WOK Spock and Uhura? Saavik? Any of Khan's people?

What will happen with future waves of DS9 figures? Kira? Dukat? Garak? Weyoun? The Founder? Martok? The Breen? QUARK???

Jayspawn
08-11-2007, 06:20 PM
I'm all for a Enterprise D! It reminds me of one of the best Data lines.... "Oohhh..shiiii$*#@$&"

BountyHunterScum
08-11-2007, 06:28 PM
I'm all for a Enterprise D! It reminds me of one of the best Data lines.... "Oohhh..shiiii$*#@$&"

Seriously put blinking lights on it too. Light up the warp engines all parts of them that normally light up. Along with the deflector dish impulse engine and blue arboretum garden windows in the back of the saucer. Use the garden light source to illuminate translucent windows. The light on the bridge module blinks every second or so. My imagination is way too expensive for any toy company.

Tycho
08-11-2007, 07:40 PM
My imagination is way too expensive for any toy company.

I love this quote! I may have to borrow it for a future signature line with credit to James of course.

BountyHunterScum
08-11-2007, 09:50 PM
I love this quote! I may have to borrow it for a future signature line with credit to James of course.

A soooo very true quote. :yes: If DST really wanted to I'm sure they could find an inexpensive way to make these ships as realistic as possible, window lights running lights etc.

JediTricks
08-12-2007, 04:22 AM
What's going on with the WOK Enterprise? I preordered it expecting it to ship back in July, here we are almost halfway into August and still no word.

Yeah that would be nice, plus a USS Excelsior toy along with USS Reliant. I don't know if anyone wants a 1701-C toy, I wouldn't mind it but I'm not hurting for one. 1701-D would be cool at least that would light up properly unlike the playmates 1992 version. The only thing DST dropped the ball with ship wise was 1701-E's non illuminated warp grilles.I'd love an Excelsior and Reliant in scale to the AA/DST Constitution class. I'd like an Ent-C but like you said, it's not really high on my list. The D would be nice to get, but I think it's time to figure out a way to do saucer-separation right - we don't desperately need more lights in the saucer, the only thing that lights there are various windows which they can't do and the observation deck behind the bridge and the secondary deflector array on the underside. But we do need light-up deflector and engines, and blinking running lights on the aft.

LTBasker
08-12-2007, 04:13 PM
Rick from NFC reported these release dates from DST back on July 21st-

JAN074541 ST TOS SPACE SEED KIRK & KHAN AF 2-PK (7/18/07)
JAN078301 ST TWOK BATTLE DAMAGE ENTERPRISE A (8/22/07)
MAR074457 ST TOS CLOTH RETRO AF ASST SER 1 KIRK & KLINGON (8/08/07)
DEC058272 ST BATTLE DAMAGED ENTERPRISE E (8/22/07)
FEB074479 ST TWOK ENTERPRISE (8/22/07)
DEC068116 ST TWOK 25TH ANNIV KIRK & KHAN AF CUSTOM ASST (8/29/07)
OCT068138 ST TNG 4 BEVERLY & WESLEY CRUSHER AF ASST (8/29/07)
FEB078117 STARGATE ATLANTIS CUSTOM CS ASST (8/29/07)
APR074810 ST TNG 20TH ANNIV CPT PICARD IN CHAIR AF (8/29/07)
MAR078100 ST DS9 SER 1 CUSTOM CS AF ASST (9/26/07)
JUN074523 ST TOS WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE PX 1701 ENTERPRISE (10/31/07)

Though DST's site now lists the Picard with chair as 11/21/07.

BountyHunterScum
08-12-2007, 09:01 PM
What's going on with the WOK Enterprise? I preordered it expecting it to ship back in July, here we are almost halfway into August and still no word.

I'd love an Excelsior and Reliant in scale to the AA/DST Constitution class. I'd like an Ent-C but like you said, it's not really high on my list. The D would be nice to get, but I think it's time to figure out a way to do saucer-separation right - we don't desperately need more lights in the saucer, the only thing that lights there are various windows which they can't do and the observation deck behind the bridge and the secondary deflector array on the underside. But we do need light-up deflector and engines, and blinking running lights on the aft.

The red and green running lights in the aft didn't blink on 1701-D. There are red and green running lights on the saucer too the blinking light I'm referring too is the yellowish white one on the top of the bridge module. Next time TNG comes on watch the intro you see it right at the end as the ship passes under the camera position. There probably is one on the belly of the stardrive section too. The nacelles don't need them since they sit lower than the saucer and what blind idiot could possibly not see the massively bright red and blue glow from them. :D Another thing I found weird as a blue dome on the bridge module in front of that blinking light. The bridge skylight should glow white. Those little red blocks on the aft of the nacelles are RCS thrusters, you see them in an episode or two and playmates had stickers for them.

JediTricks
08-12-2007, 10:53 PM
Rick from NFC reported these release dates from DST back on July 21st-

Though DST's site now lists the Picard with chair as 11/21/07.Good to know, thanks. I saw the news post over there that had the first part, but not the rest.

The red and green running lights in the aft didn't blink on 1701-D. There are red and green running lights on the saucer too the blinking light I'm referring too is the yellowish white one on the top of the bridge module. Next time TNG comes on watch the intro you see it right at the end as the ship passes under the camera position. There probably is one on the belly of the stardrive section too. The nacelles don't need them since they sit lower than the saucer and what blind idiot could possibly not see the massively bright red and blue glow from them. :D Another thing I found weird as a blue dome on the bridge module in front of that blinking light. The bridge skylight should glow white. Those little red blocks on the aft of the nacelles are RCS thrusters, you see them in an episode or two and playmates had stickers for them.I remember some shots in the show where I believe they did blink, but I'll need to go back and check that out. The opening shots aren't done by the same company that did the rest of the series' effects, so it's possible they just got it wrong.

Isn't there a white blinker at the very bottom of the stardrive hull?

The RCS thrusters are orange, not red.

BountyHunterScum
08-13-2007, 05:54 AM
Good to know, thanks. I saw the news post over there that had the first part, but not the rest.

I remember some shots in the show where I believe they did blink, but I'll need to go back and check that out. The opening shots aren't done by the same company that did the rest of the series' effects, so it's possible they just got it wrong.

Isn't there a white blinker at the very bottom of the stardrive hull?

The RCS thrusters are orange, not red.

I don't know if 1701-D has one I know 1701 Refit/1701-A has one on the bottom and top. D probably does because it makes sense. Trust me the navigational red and green marker lights do not blink on the newer ships. They didn't do too many belly shots of 1701-D on the show. The stickers on the toys are red also in one episode those RCS on the back of the nacelles are a really pale orange. The episode Preemptive Strike where Ro Laren goes undercover in the Maquis and actually joins them. You get a really good view when the Peregrine Class ship goes between the nacelles. The blinking white marker lights are on the nacelles top and bottom toward the rear, on top of the saucer in the middle bottom of the stardrive and thats it I think. Funny thing is in the last episode of Enterprise they do show the red and green crap blinking near where the dorsal connects to the saucer. We know what a canon boatload of crap that show was though. In all of 7 years of TNG they never had red and green running lights near the neck of the ship. In fact all of that time there were no blinking lights on or near the neck at all.

JediTricks
08-15-2007, 02:41 AM
Shots from the back show the top and bottom-level lights all the time, but you're probably right that they didn't blink them because that'd be tough to track in time with each episode.

Playmates weren't the most accurate with their stickers' colors, the Defiant's RCS stickers don't even fit the ship. (I have a hate-on for Playmate's stickers, they crossed seams all the time, were totally unclear where they were supposed to go, and the material came off super easy!)

I didn't remember those lights in the finale of Enterprise, but I was already so displeased it would have passed me by anyway.

BountyHunterScum
08-15-2007, 03:46 AM
Shots from the back show the top and bottom-level lights all the time, but you're probably right that they didn't blink them because that'd be tough to track in time with each episode.

Playmates weren't the most accurate with their stickers' colors, the Defiant's RCS stickers don't even fit the ship. (I have a hate-on for Playmate's stickers, they crossed seams all the time, were totally unclear where they were supposed to go, and the material came off super easy!)

I didn't remember those lights in the finale of Enterprise, but I was already so displeased it would have passed me by anyway.

I looked at a video the other day, there are no lights on the 1701-D dorsal yet there are in the ENT last episode. Search enterprise running lights in google and you'll eventually find it. Whoever created the new sh-t for the last ENT episode, they should have the crap beaten out of them for being so stupid.

LTBasker
08-15-2007, 12:27 PM
The guy who created the CGI 1701-D for the Enterprise episode was Gabe Koerner; the kid from Trekkies and Trekkies 2.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0462933/

By the way, First Contact Data from DST was "kind of" announced. A picture got leaked from Playtrek.com (now you have to join their newsletter/email message board) to view it. But, it was confirmed that it will be out later this year, it'll be limited to 1,701 just like Nemesis Geordi and be available from DST. The figure was shown packaged and comes with: Regular head, regular arm, "unskinned" arm, "unskinned" head (from after the skin was burned off) and data cable (that was apparently supposed to come with regular TNG Data). Rick @ NFC said he's trying to get a good amount for preorder and should have them by the end of Sept.

In other news... Ro, Nurse Ogawa and Miles O'Brien are going to be TNG wave 4 next year.

Good to know, thanks. I saw the news post over there that had the first part, but not the rest.

Yeah, I think he only mentioned the full list on some message boards like trektoy.com and possibly art asylum's board.

BountyHunterScum
08-15-2007, 04:08 PM
The guy who created the CGI 1701-D for the Enterprise episode was Gabe Koerner; the kid from Trekkies and Trekkies 2.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0462933/

By the way, First Contact Data from DST was "kind of" announced. A picture got leaked from Playtrek.com (now you have to join their newsletter/email message board) to view it. But, it was confirmed that it will be out later this year, it'll be limited to 1,701 just like Nemesis Geordi and be available from DST. The figure was shown packaged and comes with: Regular head, regular arm, "unskinned" arm, "unskinned" head (from after the skin was burned off) and data cable (that was apparently supposed to come with regular TNG Data). Rick @ NFC said he's trying to get a good amount for preorder and should have them by the end of Sept.

In other news... Ro, Nurse Ogawa and Miles O'Brien are going to be TNG wave 4 next year.

Yeah, I think he only mentioned the full list on some message boards like trektoy.com and possibly art asylum's board.

I might just get that data. Trekkies huh thats not surprising I saw some of those movies what a joke. Real star trek fans aren't like that. Hollyweird strikes again.

JediTricks
08-15-2007, 11:23 PM
I looked at a video the other day, there are no lights on the 1701-D dorsal yet there are in the ENT last episode. I know there are shots from TNG with lights on the dorsal as well as the ventral, they're parallel.

FC Data? Oh man, that may be the one that gets me.

BountyHunterScum
08-15-2007, 11:28 PM
I know there are shots from TNG with lights on the dorsal as well as the ventral, they're parallel.

In TNG those lights are not there, it was an final enterprise episode thing. 1701-D already has red and green lights at the very edge of the star drive rear on both sides of the aft torp launcher as well as on the bottom of that edge. I'm debunking ENT I know those lights are BS. Exactly like this.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w265/BMWM3E92/hathaway.jpg
(http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w265/BMWM3E92/hathaway.jpg)

LTBasker
08-15-2007, 11:41 PM

There is one unfortunate thing about it. Just like Nemesis Geordi he doesn't have the seam on the front of the uniform, but the body parts revealing his metallic parts look pretty awesome.

JediTricks
08-16-2007, 02:17 AM
In TNG those lights are not there, it was an final enterprise episode thing. 1701-D already has red and green lights at the very edge of the star drive rear on both sides of the aft torp launcher as well as on the bottom of that edge. I'm debunking ENT I know those lights are BS. Exactly like this.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w265/BMWM3E92/hathaway.jpg
(http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w265/BMWM3E92/hathaway.jpg)
I meant the ones by the aft torpedo launcher, I guess we got our wires crossed somewhere on which ones we were talking about. I'm still not clear which ones you're saying they added in Ent now.

Sucks about that seam, it's vital to the costume.

BountyHunterScum
08-16-2007, 02:28 AM
I meant the ones by the aft torpedo launcher, I guess we got our wires crossed somewhere on which ones we were talking about. I'm still not clear which ones you're saying they added in Ent now.

Sucks about that seam, it's vital to the costume.

These lights. Next to the obviously incorrectly active saucer impulse engines. Jeezus what an amateur.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2d/Enterprise_Asteroid.jpg

JediTricks
08-16-2007, 11:09 PM
You mean the runners up on the saucer, or the ones at the rear edge of the stardrive? The ones on the saucer look pulled from his bum.

Both sets of impulse engines running is pretty silly, but what's really galling me is the tiny exposed plasma field in the warp engines.

BountyHunterScum
08-17-2007, 03:46 AM
You mean the runners up on the saucer, or the ones at the rear edge of the stardrive? The ones on the saucer look pulled from his bum.

Both sets of impulse engines running is pretty silly, but what's really galling me is the tiny exposed plasma field in the warp engines.

I emailed the guy about it and he sounds like a total idiot. you should see what he replied to me with.....in fact. He sounds like a nutjob. His last name is german so the arrogance and obnoxious replies are totally expected.

"because i say greedo shot first

you talkin about front rim saucer lights? i did it because the rims of the 4 and 6 foot miniatures were too thin to accomodate electronics but it always seemed silly to me that none of them, not even ten foreward, were visibly lit. i figured it was a practical vs. logic concern, the modelmakers would have included lights in there if they could. so I did. it was my way of doing something different with it. and i think maybe that subliminally throws people's eye off to it, its funny, i did a comparison render lights on lights off on the rim

i actually got an email once from someone, no ****, said i 'raped their childhood' by not only missing a couple decals on ent-D but ALSO designing a Fan-ter-prize for a calendar. :) haha, not saying you're one of those, but i'm getting sick of takin my tardis back to the 90's to sodomize children I don't know... ;)"

"i only built the D for one episode so yeah i know :)

oh that those are present in the generations version, i just kinda slipped em in as it was 7th season and figured it might be interesting if anyone caught"

"its a tv spaceship dude, go get sex :)"

JediTricks
08-17-2007, 03:12 PM
Heh heh, he's a charmer. At least you can't say he's not consistent about his fan views though. But he's not right either, all he has to do is look at the original designs and see it was never intended that way even before they built the model. Some of those plans are way too detailed for the shooting miniatures. It'd be one thing if we were talking to Mike Okuda about this, at least he's officially given some leeway and some weight by the stuff he puts in, but this is another story altogether.

BountyHunterScum
08-17-2007, 03:16 PM
The guy I talked to is nuts though. No matter, enterprise sucks its over done with. Maybe I oughta f-ck with that picture lol.

BountyHunterScum
08-18-2007, 11:25 AM
These are coming soon, wave 4 Star Trek JL.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w265/BMWM3E92/wiztoys22.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w265/BMWM3E92/wiztoys1.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w265/BMWM3E92/startrekjlwave4.jpg

Blue2th
08-18-2007, 02:12 PM
I pre-ordered those at Diecast Alley. You can't see it but Voyager is supposed to have it's landing gear down. Most of those are re-paints of wave three, give or take a few mods like the sphere coming out of the Borg Cube and Voyager I do believe.
There's some White Lightnings in those pics too. :thumbsup:

LTBasker
08-18-2007, 02:44 PM
Scroll down to see the First Contact Data-

http://www.playtrek.com/photo.htm

BountyHunterScum
08-18-2007, 03:09 PM
I pre-ordered those at Diecast Alley. You can't see it but Voyager is supposed to have it's landing gear down. Most of those are re-paints of wave three, give or take a few mods like the sphere coming out of the Borg Cube and Voyager I do believe.
There's some White Lightnings in those pics too. :thumbsup:

I know I can get at least one white lightning, if I had a choice I'd get all WL's. Btw the Raw Metal 1701 Corgi is on it's way to me, Corgi reduced the price after they were unable to implement the sound feature that was supposed to be in the base so now its just blue lights. Voyager's landing struts might be removable or they are small enough that they don't get in the way. I don't have any of the wave 3 ships at all, I'd love to get my hands on both versions of 1701-D and Future 1701-D as well as both Voyagers.

JediTricks
08-18-2007, 11:19 PM
I find nothing positive about that Johnny Lightning wave, it's like they're trying to kill the line quicker with product that's aimed at a much smaller market.

Data looks good, but the face seems too soft for the movie's look.

Tycho
08-19-2007, 12:56 AM
I like Data. I'm re-thinking my "not buying" the WOK figures and I may patronize Rick some more and get them.

I'm drooling over those DS9 figures, of course.

Oh, and while I'm not the ship-fanatic the rest of you all seem to be, I want that Voyager, and of course I have to come across a Defiant and then I'll be pretty much set save for a few alien ships I really want.

Blue2th
08-19-2007, 02:02 AM
I know I can get at least one white lightning, if I had a choice I'd get all WL's. Btw the Raw Metal 1701 Corgi is on it's way to me, Corgi reduced the price after they were unable to implement the sound feature that was supposed to be in the base so now its just blue lights. Voyager's landing struts might be removable or they are small enough that they don't get in the way. I don't have any of the wave 3 ships at all, I'd love to get my hands on both versions of 1701-D and Future 1701-D as well as both Voyagers.
That wave three is hard to get. I actually had to get it from Britain. Seems like the whole wave three got sent over there.
I was looking at my JL Enterprise Refit, and it doesn't have the aztec pattern the A has. Hope it comes like that and is not just a prototype.

The dark colored Enterprise D almost looks like the Corgi, and the obviously White Lightning version looks like the regular wave three version. Aside from the orange paint on the saucer section which is probably from the Generations crash scene.

From the looks of the battle damage on the Majestic they are doing it a little more detailed than the black battle damaged smudges of wave two.

Hate to dissapoint Tycho but that's the Defiant from "In the Mirror Darkly" Enterprise episode. Not the DS9 one. Which would've been cooler, but would mean a whole new sculpt by JL. (they need to talk to Furuta)

BountyHunterScum
08-19-2007, 03:59 AM
That wave three is hard to get. I actually had to get it from Britain. Seems like the whole wave three got sent over there.
I was looking at my JL Enterprise Refit, and it doesn't have the aztec pattern the A has. Hope it comes like that and is not just a prototype.

The dark colored Enterprise D almost looks like the Corgi, and the obviously White Lightning version looks like the regular wave three version. Aside from the orange paint on the saucer section which is probably from the Generations crash scene.

From the looks of the battle damage on the Majestic they are doing it a little more detailed than the black battle damaged smudges of wave two.

Hate to dissapoint Tycho but that's the Defiant from "In the Mirror Darkly" Enterprise episode. Not the DS9 one. Which would've been cooler, but would mean a whole new sculpt by JL. (they need to talk to Furuta)

That orange atmospheric entry paint definitely is from Generations, it should have been NX-74205 Defiant nobody cares about Enterprise's garbage. I'm definitely getting 1701-D Voyager 1701-A and the Borg. I might get the Majestic too, thats one of the Miranda class ships that bought it right before they took DS9 back from the cardies.

BountyHunterScum
08-19-2007, 04:03 AM
This one the raw metal 1701 Corgi, a beaut ain't she. lol

http://www.flyingmule.com/img/prd/CG-CC96607_04_lrg.gif
http://www.flyingmule.com/img/prd/CG-CC96607_03_lrg.gif
http://www.flyingmule.com/img/prd/CG-CC96607_02_lrg.gif
http://www.flyingmule.com/img/prd/CG-CC96607_01_lrg.gif

JediTricks
08-19-2007, 03:47 PM
I'm conflicted on that Raw Metal 1701, the lack of paint rips a lot of the sparse detail away from her, but the blue lights give it an ethereal quality. Still, I don't see this one living in my collection at any price, I just can't picture putting it anywhere.

BountyHunterScum
08-19-2007, 07:05 PM
I'm conflicted on that Raw Metal 1701, the lack of paint rips a lot of the sparse detail away from her, but the blue lights give it an ethereal quality. Still, I don't see this one living in my collection at any price, I just can't picture putting it anywhere.

It has a certain dipsh-t museum allure to it. Since I don't collect SW stuff anymore.

JediTricks
08-20-2007, 02:49 PM
I don't think I've ever been to that museum.

BountyHunterScum
08-20-2007, 03:02 PM
I don't think I've ever been to that museum.

That was an analogy, it has an artsy fartsy allure? You know artsy stuff. If Defiant Voyager and Rommie come out I'll get those and their raw metal versions too.

BountyHunterScum
08-20-2007, 07:45 PM
Here is the latest reply from that dumbsh-t paramount hired to f-ck up 1701-D CGI model.

>>Another thing, you also had the saucer impule engines illuminated while the saucer was still connected to the stardrive section.<<

so did your mom

LTBasker
08-20-2007, 08:52 PM
If your Mom is a Galaxy class does that make you a New Orleans class?

BountyHunterScum
08-21-2007, 08:47 AM
If your Mom is a Galaxy class does that make you a New Orleans class?

He's a moron he emailed me again with a--hole-ish remarks, he's German what can I expect. This is what happens when Paramount hires idiots to do things, they make the ship a little too different than the production view.

JediTricks
08-21-2007, 06:00 PM
Wow, what a charmer. Write to Paramount.

LTBasker
08-21-2007, 06:41 PM
TNG wave 4 has shown up at Enchanced Toy Chest, they posted pictures of them carded on Fwoosh-

http://www.fwooshnet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21159&start=300

Looks pretty good, I'm glad they all have a nice amount of accessories compared to wave 3. The little Enterprise with Q looks really cool.

Blue2th
08-22-2007, 12:16 AM
"Vhere is da money Labowski"

BountyHunterScum
08-22-2007, 06:36 AM
Wow, what a charmer. Write to Paramount.

Oh yeah Paramount cares......

Damn now I want that Q figure just for the mini enterprise.

Tycho
08-22-2007, 06:39 AM
Action figures are good. All you guys ever talk about is the ships!

C'mon. An AA/DST Gul Dukat action figure would be awesome!

BountyHunterScum
08-22-2007, 07:08 AM

C'mon. An AA/DST Gul Dukat action figure would be awesome!

The figures oughta be cheaper. The ships go for about $10 more plus you get more bells and whistles with the ships. I made an exception with the WOK SDCC figures. I might get casual troi and Q, if only I could mix and match sets.

Tycho
08-22-2007, 07:17 AM
How are the WOK figures?

You get the whole crew minus Spock and Uhura, right?

Did you (and how did you) also get bloodied Kirk, Wounded Khan, Capt. Terrel, regular Khan?

What do you think of them? When do you think Spock and Uhura might be offered?

Saavik, David, Carol, Scotty in radiation suit, any of Khan's people?

BountyHunterScum
08-22-2007, 07:23 AM
How are the WOK figures?

You get the whole crew minus Spock and Uhura, right?

Did you (and how did you) also get bloodied Kirk, Wounded Khan, Capt. Terrel, regular Khan?

What do you think of them? When do you think Spock and Uhura might be offered?

Saavik, David, Carol, Scotty in radiation suit, any of Khan's people?

They arrive today along with my raw metal Corgi 1701. I didn't get the regular set yet but if Rick gets them back in I probably will. Man I wanna get all the troi's in one set plus most of the picards no AGT stuff. I'll take both TNG rikers too. I want data all versions except agt.

Tycho
08-22-2007, 07:39 AM
I've been re-watching all my TNG episodes (on Season 2 now). I love the one where Riker goes and serves as First Officer on a Klingon BoP!

Blue2th
08-22-2007, 07:47 AM

I used to collect many of the figures when they were smaller. The Playmates sculpts there at the last were getting better (Target 7 of 9) I still have them in boxes somewhere.
I don't know, something about a figure being that big (Art Asylum) I guess I expect them to have soft goods clothes on them. (I have alot of 9" and 12" Playmates also so you can understand)
BTW anybody see the re-issued Mego figures? They're kinda cool. I saw the Klingon the other day. He's the first in the series. With clothes on him, he was about the same size as the Art Asylum figures next to him.
To each their own though. It's all good.

BountyHunterScum
08-22-2007, 11:16 AM
I used to collect many of the figures when they were smaller. The Playmates sculpts there at the last were getting better (Target 7 of 9) I still have them in boxes somewhere.
I don't know, something about a figure being that big (Art Asylum) I guess I expect them to have soft goods clothes on them. (I have alot of 9" and 12" Playmates also so you can understand)
BTW anybody see the re-issued Mego figures? They're kinda cool. I saw the Klingon the other day. He's the first in the series. With clothes on him, he was about the same size as the Art Asylum figures next to him.
To each their own though. It's all good.

I'm gonna get those mego style figures, I have a klingon and a romulan but wouldn't mind getting the new stuff too.

BountyHunterScum
08-22-2007, 11:17 AM
I've been re-watching all my TNG episodes (on Season 2 now). I love the one where Riker goes and serves as First Officer on a Klingon BoP!

A matter of honor.

BountyHunterScum
08-22-2007, 01:14 PM
Got the figures and Corgi 1701 raw metal. I like the figures, I know the $70 price tag was kindof a rip but it saves me the trouble of having to search later on. I probably won't open the figures. I just bought Ivan Drago 1 and 2 at kay bee this morning.

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w265/BMWM3E92/?action=view&current=0822071358.flv
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w265/BMWM3E92/0822071400.jpg

Blue2th
08-22-2007, 02:06 PM
I like that light up base. Not a fan of the pewter type vehicles, but I'll bet the painted version would look cool on there if it fits.
Did you say you got that on sale?

BountyHunterScum
08-22-2007, 02:14 PM
I like that light up base. Not a fan of the pewter type vehicles, but I'll bet the painted version would look cool on there if it fits.
Did you say you got that on sale?

Not exactly, Corgi couldn't implement the sound feature on these so they had no choice but to slash the price almost in half. The painted ship's black disk part of the stand will fit on this. The disk detaches from the base. I informed the guy who runs flying mule about the price reduction he then contacted corgi to verify it and then he reduced the price on his site. I have the other two on pre-order.

BountyHunterScum
08-23-2007, 04:46 PM
The unpainted ship has the same display allure as the gold ships in 1701-D and E's conference lounge.

Jayspawn
08-24-2007, 04:49 PM
I think my SDCC Exclusives are arriving today. Something is coming from NewForce anyways...

LTBasker
08-24-2007, 05:25 PM
Mine arrived today from NewForce, they're quite awesome. :D Now if we can get the actual first wave and then Spock and Uhura...

BountyHunterScum
08-24-2007, 05:57 PM
Mine arrived today from NewForce, they're quite awesome. :D Now if we can get the actual first wave and then Spock and Uhura...

Rick said series 1 may be back in stock in late Sept.

Tycho
08-24-2007, 06:14 PM

I think I want these now. I was cutting back on some toys and Star Trek seemed less urgent to me, but you know I love TOS Movies and DS9 too much to balk at these. TNG was much easier to pass on for me.

Jayspawn
08-24-2007, 06:48 PM
Yep! It was my SDCC Exclusives from New Force. The paint jobs are quite fantastic! I hope Wave 1 is as good. To recap, all the figures come with an extra set of hands, communicators and phasers. McCoy with medical stuff and Chekov with wrist com and sand creature. Nice touch! I like how Diamond executed the red, duty uniform design for the figures. AND they have new ball joint shoulders!

The Exclusive Khan is pretty cool. He has no accessories. The paint job is good and has a lot of dark washes. The sculpting is good and he has all the articulation except for his right arm which is in the bent position and fingers curled as he stabbeth thee! Cant grade the figure down for that as its a scene specific figure. Still a very nice exclusive!

It says on that back of the box that Regula 1 Kirk is part of Series 2 w/ Spock, Uhura and Saavik.

Tycho
08-24-2007, 07:28 PM
It says on that back of the box that Regula 1 Kirk is part of Series 2 w/ Spock, Uhura and Saavik.

So they're going all out with a WOK collection! OK, well I'm ordering then!

I'll contact Rick later this evening. He is the best with Star Trek for sure.

BountyHunterScum
08-24-2007, 09:05 PM
So they're going all out with a WOK collection! OK, well I'm ordering then!

I'll contact Rick later this evening. He is the best with Star Trek for sure.

I didn't notice Chevok had the Ceti Eel I'll give him another look when I get around to it.

LTBasker
08-24-2007, 09:28 PM
I'm not sure what I want out of wave 1 though. Kirk is definite and most likely the Captain guy. Not sure about the blood-stain Kirk, I like the folded open uniform but it's a little too specific with the blood-stain.

Khan I really don't want, I know it's somewhat blasphemy but I've never really cared about Khan. But it may be most cost effective to just get the entire set.

JediTricks
08-25-2007, 01:47 AM
The unpainted ship has the same display allure as the gold ships in 1701-D and E's conference lounge.
Which, for me, is none. :p

So, what the hell is happening with the WOK Enterprise now? Nothing on the NFC front page about it, and no mention of preorders being filled anywhere I can find. This is why I can't stand collecting Trek, it's such a chore. I was expecting to have that Enterprise before Comic-con!

LTBasker
08-25-2007, 02:00 AM
This should help, someone posted it on the TrekToy forum:

I just got the latest newsletter form NewForce. Here are some interesting pieces of news about release dates.

Battle Damage Ent E exclusive....this product should arrive today.

WNMHB exclusive ship...this product, originally scheduled for Oct, should arrive today

WOK series 1 regular figures... We are waiting on an updated release date, but the 8/29 ETA is no longer valid (likely end of Sept?).

Our WOK battle damage exclusive ship, and the reg WOK ship are inbound to the US now, and should clear customs by early September (subject to delays, etc).

We will offer the 1701 FC Data in late Sept for preorder. This item is limited to 1701 pieces, so like the LaForge, it will be tightly allocated...stay tuned for details.

TNG wave 5 has been announced...Ro Laren, Nurse Ogawa, TNG O'Brien and Nemesis Crusher. Look for us to start preselling that set next week, after we complete the TNG wave 4 shipments.

JediTricks
08-25-2007, 03:37 AM
Thanks for posting that. Man, now it's a whole quarter late!

BountyHunterScum
08-25-2007, 10:51 AM
I have all of the playmates star trek ships too. I gotta find my boxed defiant and take the batteries out I hope they didn't leak. My Voyager is in my room.