PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek figures (merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

Tycho
01-17-2008, 11:17 AM
Well, I didn't get my DS9 figures. It was a box containing 6 months worth of my blood test kits that I have to have drawn and sent in to match with possible kidneys they could transplant me with. What fun.:(

Anyway, checking ArtAsylum's boards, Wave 2 is indicated for DS9:

Kira, O'Brien, Bashir, and possibly Quark! Sounds great to me! I'd be all over those.

My DS9 figures have been charged btw - I'm set to receive delivery any day now. I think my tracking indicated they'll arrive on Saturday, but I'm not sure.

The pictures I've seen show them to come with their "Niners" baseball caps as well as other appropriate accessories. How cool is that? Sisko even comes with his baseball!

JediTricks
01-17-2008, 02:50 PM
Those are pretty good accessories, but Sisko really should always have come with that baseball no matter what.

Tycho
01-17-2008, 04:10 PM
Actually, my figures just arrived today about an hour ago.

They're all really good - especially Odo - but not Jadzia. I got a bad paintjob and I'll probably call Rick from NewForce and see if we can work with an exchange just on that one.

So with adding Nemesis Worf (basically the same thing as a DS9 Sn5-7 Worf,

I have Sisko, J. Dax, E. Dax, Odo, and Worf.

Coming are Kira, O'Brien, Bashir - confirmed. And I'm sure Quark will get a figure.

I wonder and hope we'll get:

Rom
Nagus Zek
Nog
Martok
Gowron
Jem Hadar
Weyoun
Gul Dukat
Damar
Garack
Founder

many more. I don't intend to collect Voyager figures, as rumors abound, but I will get EVERY DS9 figure most likely.

JediTricks
01-24-2008, 11:39 PM
I picked up the ST:TOS Bronze-handled Phaser at the Star Trek: The Tour in Long Beach this week. $30 from the gift shop at the exit, not a great price but not bad, their pricing was ALL OVER THE MAP on this stuff, dangle earrings of the Enterprise for just $29 but a simple knit T-shirt with a TMP-era transporter signage (not even the main signage!) for $45. Anyway, the phaser is from DST/AA and it's even better than I possibly imagined, wonderful Trek toy, except for the screw holes on one side it's perfection. Removable type-1 phaser with 4 dial-controlled phaser sound/light settings, an overload setting, the type-1 and type-2 each have independent LEDs, the type-2 has a cutoff for the emitter and the ring around it changes how bright it comes out. Pure Trek love.

Their gift shop had not that much, but a fair amount of DST/AA figs and ships. They also had the SDCC-exclusive WOK McCoy which I found a little shocking.

Jayspawn
01-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Thats cool JT! The Tour is supposed to come through Denver -so I'm pretty excited. Did you get to sit in Kirk's chair?

JediTricks
01-25-2008, 09:53 PM
I'll be honest, I don't think this tour is going to make it to its next leg, there won't be enough money made here to continue it on which is a shame.

Yes, I did sit in the chair. They do it as a photo shoot though which is a little awkward, it then drops in some of the show's characters digitally, the idea being that you buy a copy of it at the end for a ridiculous sum ($25 for a 5x7!) but there is a lenticular version which sorta caught my attention. Anyway, since there was NOBODY there, they let us wander around the bridge as much as we wanted provided we also did the picture thing as well. The chair is awesome, none of the buttons have travel but it's still an amazing reproduction. I could have spent an hour in that little set alone.

Blue2th
02-04-2008, 06:02 PM
Found this article at 16 Bit.com (GH's Adam Pawlus other site) about Playmates doing the Star Trek lines of toys again.
This is very good news to me if true, as the figures might return to 3 3/4 scale again. http://www.16bit.com/

Jedi_Kal-El
02-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Found this article at 16 Bit.com (GH's Adam Pawlus other site) about Playmates doing the Star Trek lines of toys again.
This is very good news to me if true, as the figures might return to 3 3/4 scale again. http://www.16bit.com/

Playmates is only doing the figures for the new movie so far and DST will continue to produce figures from the other series/movies. That would be sweet though if they did start doing the other series as well though. I still have all my old Playmates ST figs in storage. Love those things still, and wouldn't mind some new additions from something other than just the new film.

Tycho
02-04-2008, 08:27 PM
I would want Playmates to continue fleshing out their DS9 figures to include in the collection:

General Martok
Changling Founder
Weyoun
Gul Damar
Kira in SF uniform
Ishka
Nog in SF uniform
entire crew in "Niner" baseball team uniforms
Worf and Jadzia in wedding outfits
majority of the crew from "Bashir, Julian Bashir - and the Spy Who Loved Me"
Vic Fontaine
Breen Soldier
Lt. Cmdr. Eddington
Eddington as Maquis
Ezri Dax
Admiral Ross

OK, I know they have to re-release the original crew again for the newbies, but they could mix a lot of these in with the new figures in all-new waves.

THE DOMINION WAR is the pinnacle of Star Trek.

ArtAsylum needs to do some Enterprise stuff again, since they were the company that defined that series in that size:

Xindi Reptillian
Xindi Insectoid
Xindi Sloth
Degra
Archer in Desert Gear
Tucker in Desert Gear
T'Pol in Desert Gear
Phlox in duty clothes
Sato in duty uniform
Mirror Universe Sato
Mirror Universe T'Pol
Mirror Universe Tucker
TOS uniform Reed
TOS unifrom Archer
Mirror Universe Evil Phlox
TOS uniform Mayweather
EV Suit Reed
EV Suit Mayweather

And Playmates needs to add some stuff to Voyager:

Meylon
Captain Proton
Satan's Robot
Buster
Dr. Chaotica
Emergency Command Hologram
The Spider Queen (Janeway)
the crew from "The Killing Game" in WWII outfits
the Hirogen
Hirogen as Nazis

And some for Next Generation:

Duras
Cmdr. Tomaluk
Daimon Bok

And some for TOS:

Kang
Kor

There's so many more - these were just off the top of my head. I listed the stuff I want most, first. Like I said, I want AA to do the Enterprise stuff.

I don't think I'd plan on collecting toys from the new movie. It would depend if they had vehicles and playsets to interact with, I'd think. That is an aspect of 3 3/4" SW collecting that really makes it appealing to me. Otherwise, I already have these characters and this isn't a "new crew" it is JJ Abrams' limited movie franchise.

Some of it will also depend on how cool Eric Bana is as Nero (Romulan I believe) and so forth. I guess I don't really know if I'll be able to resist the new movie products, but my intention is to try.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-04-2008, 08:46 PM
THE DOMINION WAR is the pinnacle of Star Trek.

Dude. I knew there was somthing I liked about you. DS9 rocks and my favorite of the Treks(Berman messed the franchise up bad in some places though)

All the figures you posted would be freakin awesome if they were actually to able to do all those at that scale again.

One of my favorite things from that line is the Enterprise bridge. I have that and the engine room to go with it. Would be cool if they did one of those for Voyager or Defiant(not gonna get mt hopes up though)

I'm guessing though that we'll have to see how these new movie figures do before we can expext anthing else from them, but hey, I'm game. Bring em on if it's at all possible.:thumbsup:

Tycho
02-04-2008, 09:02 PM
The Defiant is my favorite ship in Trek!

What I would have done is copied the Hasbro Millennium Falcon.

Make the Defiant for the Playmates 5 3/4" figures (basic carded size the largest portion of the collection is scaled to - just like that Enterprise D bridge playset you were discussing).

Have the top of the toy vehicle come off - just like the back of Hasbro's Falcon - and have the interior be the bridge of the Defiant. If there's room, a back part of the ship could be engineering or a shuttle bay with a underscale 1-figure fitting shuttle pod that "launches." But at least you get the Defiant's bridge inside the toy that matches the exterior.

Maybe "EU" the ship a little and offer seatbelts like the Orinoco toy had so that you can "fly" the Defiant upside down in battle and not dump the crew out all over the place.

Then make a Jem Hadar fighter ship!

Thank you for seeing how worthwhile is DS9. The DOMINION WAR will never be forgotten.

Screw Berman. DS9 was all Ira Steven Behr as the Executive Producer almost independently in charge. The man is a genius! He was with DS9 from the start pretty much, but he got control by 3rd season and you can see the difference it made.

JediTricks
02-05-2008, 10:36 PM
This reminds me of when NBC bid on ST:Enterprise before it debuted. Playmates as a company hasn't really grown with the rest of the industry, their sculpting hasn't advanced the way the other lines have, and you'll notice they have just 1 line in the aisles these days (TMNT).

Tycho
02-06-2008, 04:57 AM
Yes, but when I look at those figures, I can actually tell they are supposed to be turtles.

Perhaps they'd be good at making one ST:TNG alien from the outset: the Shell-i-ack. :D

I am so funny. Really. I am. :yes:

Blue2th
02-06-2008, 08:58 AM
This reminds me of when NBC bid on ST:Enterprise before it debuted. Playmates as a company hasn't really grown with the rest of the industry, their sculpting hasn't advanced the way the other lines have, and you'll notice they have just 1 line in the aisles these days (TMNT).
They were getting better with the last few figures they made for Star Trek. The Target Seven of Nine was an outstanding likeness. Lacking alot of articulation, but who cares? Their 12" figures were better done than Hasbro's. (I still don't have that 12" Angelina Joley Tomb Raider figure I wanted by Playmates)
Of course nobody even now can match Hasbro's articulation. Though I think their sculpting sometimes suffers because of articulation. Some of the heads from POTF2 and Ep 1 look better than the compromised ball-jointed ones of today.

Playmates used to do the Simpsons, but lost that to McFarlane.
I'd like to see them do well. They seemed to have suffered a few setbacks and losses of toy rights to other toy companies. But they do have potential to be great again.

Tycho
02-17-2008, 02:29 PM
In ArtAsylum's forums I saw all the new Trek figures for the older franchises.

* There are 3 Borg figures: the Queen, Seven of Nine, and some male, human Borg. (I don't think it was Hugh). The Queen has that removeable head and shoulders with the metallic spine thing going on.

It's all kind of cool, but I don't really want these. I have the original 3 alien Borgs and that suffices.

* The WOK wave is just awesome: Kirk in Away Team coat, Spock, Uhura, and Saavik.

These are essential figures I can't wait to get!

* 6 new Deep Space Nine figures...

Kira in SF uniform - nice!
General Martok - finally! I've long wanted a figure of the general.
O'Brien
Bashir - 2 crew essentials

4th season Worf and Gowron 2-pack. - unfortunately this means I probably won't be able to get Gowron as I don't want Worf in his 4th season uniform. That's alright. I have 2 figures of Gowron in my Playmates collection and that will have to be good enough.

Anyway, that's what's new on the Star Trek front save for some retro stuff that includes a TOS bridge playset, but I tend to ignore the retro series.

I've seen nothing of Playmates new movie-reboot Trek stuff.

Darth Duranium
03-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Just reading some of the inexplicably glowing posts about how "DS9 is the best Trek ever"... and maybe it's the Darth in me... but as Sam Jackson said in Pulp Fiction, please allow me to retort.

Blam Blam!

No insult intended to anyone personally, here... except to Paramount's trained minions who produced this drivel.

IMHO, Deep Space Nine was mind-numbingly dull almost all of the time. It's utterly flawed central premise of having a host of 2nd rate Starfleet officers nailed to a space station (parked by a farming planet chock full of religious freaks) was the main culprit.

Welcome to Dullsville Station... Population: You. This show was a repository for TNG's cast-off scripts and actors. How many DS9 eps were TNG retreads?

The Defiant was kewl when it finally arrived but it was way too late by then... the mould was set. The wormhole could have offered a lot more than a lethargic and cheesey soap opera every week. The show just stuck to endlessly tedious side stories and accomplished very little in 7 years.

Who gives a flying crap about Bajor's religion or politics every freakin' week? Does anyone give a rat's arse if Nog the busboy pilfered 3 bars of latinum from the Cardies? So predictably lame, week after week of bottle shows. How about a shred of pacing or real drama?

The execution was always worse: Kira was NO Ensign Ro (as originally envisioned) - just a totally appalling actress in Forbes' place. Never stops shouting her lines.

Bashir was utterly unconvincing as a Doctor, Don Juan, Milquetoast, or Bionic Bond... simply terrible all-around in any role.

O'Brien just phoned his performance in (as on TNG - someone wake him up!). Q said it best: one of the little (sleeping) people. The Kira/wife/baby menage-a-stupide was just atrocious.

Odo was Archie Bunker revisited but much less funny... he should have stayed in the bucket like a drumstick of KFC.

Sisko grew on me a bit but was generally annoying and one-dimensional... not like Kirk or Picard. Worf (and Alexander) were completely emasculated during their lame tenure on DS9, too... looked foolish most of the time.

The only characters worth a (small) crap were Dax (#1) and Quark. At least she had the good sense to bail...

The "epic" Dominion Wars eps had, like, 1 minute of actual fight footage in a 43 minute episode span. Just look at the fan edits of the Dom. War on YouTube to see I'm right.

IMHO, none of the Dom War eps even come close to Trek greats like Balance of Terror, Best Of Both Worlds, or Yesterday's Enterprise.

Apart from shameless ripoffs of SW, Dune (Sardaukar= Jem'Hadar, Spice= White) and (the really awful) Babylon 5's entire premise, this was Trek nearly at it's worse. Enterprise and Scott Spatula really lowered the bar.

Star wars really should be left to Lucas, not DS9. He's much more imaginative and can afford a decent budget for interstellar war.

Star Trek is about adventure and exploration... not navel-gazing, frickin' Vulcan baseball, pretentious Prophets, and pointless yapping... ad infinitum.

The Lounge Lizard show finale was one of Trek's lowest moments ever. Abysmal. And completely fitting for DS9.

Alright... now that I've laid utter waste to DS9, I'll give it a few props.

I've seen almost every episode over the years and I'll say it's better than most of the crap that passes for TV these days.

There were a few good episodes (Tribbles, Q-Less, Mirror Universe eps, some Dom Wars, Valiant, Kahless) where they busted out of the usual banalities. Probably about 15 episodes were up to ST snuff, IMHO.

And a few of the ships and FX were cool.

Again, all of this is IMHO. But I just couldn't take the DS9 Lovefest anymore and I just had to stir the pot...

Peace out...

decadentdave
03-05-2008, 07:57 PM
I call it Deep Sleep Nine.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zz:zzz:

Blue2th
03-05-2008, 11:21 PM
I liked the cast of Enterprise better than DS9's.
Even Scott Spatula.

Blue2th
03-10-2008, 12:34 AM
Found an article at Action-figure about the new movie Playmates figures:

Well I can say without a shadow of a doubt that Playmates does indeed have the license.

"You sound pretty confident about that," I hear you say, "how can you be so sure?" The simple reason is because I got to see the actual figure lines today.

And yes, I did say lines because, there is more than one. The figures themselves were early protoypes, so keep this in mind.

Whilst I'm not entirely sure of the scale of the figures (surprisingly, scale isn't a question distributors get asked about) but personally I put the main series at 6" (and I'm usually pretty good at scales). The majority of figures had not yet had articulation put into them, but I'd be guessing that you should be looking at something similar to the old Playmates Star Trek line.

As for the line up, I saw most of the crew: Kirk, Spock, Scotty, and I think Uhuru, Bones. Most of them were dressed in their Starfleet outfits, which seemed very similar to the designs from the original series. There also seemed to be a few other outfits for characters, as well as someone who looked like Sarek, who seemed to feature in all the Star Trek lines I saw today.

As well as what I'm calling the 6" line, there was a larger line with real cloth outfits. Again I have to guess at scale and this is the one I'm least sure on, thinking it between 9" and 12".

The final line looked to me to be a 4" line. Now the figures I saw weren't articulated and I have no idea whether the final pieces will or not, but what was on show with them was a couple of playsets.

One was the bridge of the Enterprise, with the second one being the transporter room. Both seemed like they would come with some form of electronic effects, but these were early, early prototypes with the electronics still hanging out the back of them. What makes me think the 4" line will be articulated was the fact that the bridge had a Kirk figure, sat at his chair, and it seems stupid to me to have a playset with a non-articulated kirk figure in a sitting pose. But then I could be wrong.

The movie isn't out until Christmas 2008, so we have a LONG wait ahead of us, but I've seen plenty of protoypes in my time at Action-Figure and my takeaway impression was that if you're a fan of the old Playmates Star Trek line, then you're going to love these lines.

Tycho
03-10-2008, 01:38 AM
Is there a link for this website?

A playset and vehicles-for-the-figures line would be sweet.

There is a supposedly Romulan character - the main villain "Nero," who is being played by Eric Bana (The Hulk).

Blue2th
03-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Is there a link for this website?

A playset and vehicles-for-the-figures line would be sweet.

There is a supposedly Romulan character - the main villain "Nero," who is being played by Eric Bana (The Hulk).
Yes, here it is http://www.action-figure.com/

It is going to be Australian Eric Bana who's going to be Nero. He's got those dark Romulan or Batezoid eyes. I think he'll be a perfect villian.

Tycho
03-10-2008, 12:50 PM
Darn. There weren't pictures.

PlayMates had prototyped a plastic TOS bridge playset back in the day, but never released it. We got that cardboard set that came with all 7 members of TOS crew, but that was it.

Fortunately, they did make a Galileo shuttlecraft for the figures.

I would love it if a toy line had other ships and playsets for the figures. YES, they'd have to be out of scale - like a Klingon BoP whose bridge opened up for seating for only 1 Klingon (but hopefully 2-3) and so on. That way you could try to "play Star Trek" the way Kenner originally made it possible to "play Star Wars."

I would have preferred them doing this with DEEP SPACE NINE because .................................................. .................. I LOVE DEEP SPACE NINE! (for all you haters - I just didn't want to debate you) but army building and war dioramas would've worked much better for that series than any other.

Darth Duranium
03-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Cooltoyreview has posted pics from the new Hallmark Dreambook... more of a nightmare, really.

Only 1 ship again this year... and the Reliant's already been done by Johnny Lightning, Furuta, Romando etc in similar scale. I guess we'll see the "new" Enterprise from the movie next year.

Hope it comes with a stand....

Gotta say the tribbles and James T look pretty funny...

LTBasker
03-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Pfft, the Reliant may have been done by several companies already, but considering the quality of Hallmark's Enterprise and Enterprise-A, this should be downright awesome!

And a TOS Communicator! And Tribbles! And Indiana Jones! I shall get all of them!

They just better not to do that stupid limited edition thing again. >_<

Darth Duranium
03-25-2008, 12:08 AM
duplicated msg

Darth Duranium
03-25-2008, 12:24 AM
LTbasker, I sure didn't say that I wouldn't be buying it!

I think Hallmark does an amazing job... I just collect the ships so the others, tho cool, I'll skip. Can't collect everything.

The communicator and tribbles are really tempting, though. And I wonder if it's gonna be Geritol/Ben-Gay Indy or young Indy?

And I agree... the Enterprise and Ent A are just plain awesome.

I'm still hoping they'll do an Enterprise B or C... or something unique (like the Delta Flyer - a favourite of mine)... how about a Scimitar or a Pod One? Yeah, and I know both Nemesis and Enterprise tanked... but hey!

I guess it'll be the pre-Shatner TOS Enterprise from the new movie next year... maybe it'll be under construction (like in the teaser trailer)? Wonder if Robert April still will be the first captain... before the Pike-ster?

Limited edition? I've never seen Hallmark do that with the ships... but in a way, they're all only produced for one year so they're all kinda limited edition. The only collector issue is the fact that they produce like, 80 trillion of 'em in a given year, I think...

Which Trek ornaments are officially limited edition? Are they trying to make ya join a stupid collector club or something? More corporate evil? Say it ain't so...

Darth Duranium
04-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Looks like Konami finally got around to releasing Volume 1 of their candytoy "SF Collection" Starfleet line. I think they've only made it to Asia so far but they're available on eBay for around $50 for the regular set of 6. I'll wait awhile, methinks...

Sadly the boxes are sealed at retail without indicating which one's inside... I hate that frakking marketing nonsense.

Anyhoo, they've also got a couple of "chase" ships in the larger set of 9... a Klingon BOP is really the only unique ship. The Ent E and Klingon Battle Cruiser both come with an extra identical version on a "special display stand". Pretty lame... not worth chasing.

Judging from the original moulds, they're quite detailed... hard to see the paintjobs from these pics but they look pretty good, IMHO.

Pleasingly, they look about the same size as the first Furuta set or the Johnny Lightnings to me... bigger than Romando's, smaller than Hallmark's.

Enjoy.

Darth Duranium
04-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Couple more pics of Volume 1... Some better pics of the Klingon ships... not bad!!! I'm looking forward to Volume 2!

Blue2th
04-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Wouldn't mind having a couple of those, though I don't know about all of them.
Looking at my Furutas and JL's there seems to be more detail than some, but less than others.

The Enterprise E seems to have slightly less detail than the Furuta around the escape pod triangles. I can't even see any outlines for them, whereas they are clearly outlined in black on the Furuta.

The Konami Enterprise B has markings or ports on either side of the impulse engines, whereas the Furuta doesn't. Still this is the only other "B" made me thinks. Same with the "E" except for those Romados which I don't have.

The Enterprise A is obviously better than the poorly painted Furuta (that's what makes it a piece of crap) and the JL Enterprise A is ruined slightly by the "torpedo effect" so the Konami one might be worth getting.

The Enterprise Refit, well it's just hard to beat the JL in detail and all around likeableness.
Same with the JL Reliant.

The Klingon Warbird almost looks the same as the Furuta, in paint and detail.

The Battlecruiser looks to be highly detailed though, even more than the smooth JL (which is the only other one I know of) That one could be good to get.

It's rally hard to judge 100% without seeing the undersides of the Enterprise models though.

BTW: once again cool pics!

Darth Duranium
04-22-2008, 04:37 PM
Asketh and ye shall receiveth, Blue2th. Yea, verily.

Always happy to pass on the pics to the good folk...

First the Big "E"... wonder which is the obviously CGI version from Nemesis?

Darth Duranium
04-22-2008, 04:43 PM
Now it's Ferris Bueller's mentally stunted pal's command... the Mighty "B"

Darth Duranium
04-22-2008, 04:51 PM
Laughing boy Sybok's command... the Badass "A"

Darth Duranium
04-22-2008, 04:57 PM
Some more of the "A" and now Captain April's good ship refit for the last time... unless the new movie overwrites history.

Darth Duranium
04-22-2008, 05:01 PM
ADMIRAL?!? Admiral!

Darth Duranium
04-22-2008, 05:17 PM
How's your Klingonee?

Gotta say that I like the Konamis a lot... I agree with almost every point you make, Blue2th. Some better, some worse. Shame that the Furuta Ent A sucks so much!

Konami's Alien collection was great, too. Their Narcissus, Nostromo, Dropship, and Sulaco are among my favourites.

Looks like they didn't install lifepods on the E... not much detail at all. Somewhat inaccurate but acceptable to me. I'm glad they didn't do a JL move and give them giant "phasers", marmalade damage, or cheesey nacho dippings, though.

Most of these ships apparently have a slightly pearlescent coating so I'd guess they'll look quite different than the Furutas and most JLs on the shelf.

Shame the guy who took the pics didn't have the JLs! Still, the comparisons are kewl to see...

The JLs are probably still the best overall but it's fun to build up the home fleet. The aztec-ing on the JLs has not been matched here, sadly.

The Konami TOS and A Enterprises look almost identical...

I have one other Enterprise B that's just slightly larger than the Furuta one... it used to be attached to an orange blob of resin that's supposed to be the Nexus... it's from Generations and had a number on the base. Pic below... you can pick it up for $10-15 on eBay.

The Konamis are all pretty good, IMHO... I'll be picking up the 6-pack... I even like the emblem on the battlecruiser's bottom. They do seem a bit short of detail in some places but they're unique enough for me.

In volume 2, I hope they do the "C" and some ships that haven't already been done by everybody else...

Blue2th
04-23-2008, 08:27 AM
Yup, pretty much a consesus on the assesment DT. All good ships, especially the Cruiser.

You'd think they would at least make that "B" an Excelsior. (the Furuta Excelsior is micromachine size and a major dissapointment)

The "E" Furuta used to be very hard to get as a chase vehicle, and was going for around $60 at one time, so that one could be good to snag for those who don't want to pay that much.

Overall some good offerings, but if you already have these in something as good or better well...

I can't wait for the movie to come out so we can get some new ships!

I'm trying to think of some that weren't done, and most I think could be made from "Enterprise" like a Vulcan Cruiser (well we got the Hallmark one at least) or even some of the Klingon ships. Better yet Commander Shran's Andorian Cruiser, some Zendi ships or a Doomsday weapon.
"First Contact" Vulcan ship is one at least.

I need to check out those other "Aliens" ships. I have the Sulaco and I really like it.

JediTricks
04-23-2008, 07:37 PM
Man, I've totally run out of interest on these. They don't look as detailed to me as the Furutas, the E is the worst on the underside. And it's really the same stuff over and over again, the only one that I find impressive is the TMP Klingon D7.

Tycho
05-29-2008, 01:40 PM
I got notice that NewForce is shipping me a package. It could only be my Wrath of Khan Wave 3 figures:

Uhura
Spock
Saavik
Kirk in Away Team Gear

Now I want from WOK:

Carol Marcus
David Marcus
McCoy in Away Team Gear
Saavik in Away Team Gear
Jaquim (Khan's son)
Chekov in EV Suit
Terrel in EV Suit
Spock in black Vulcan Meditation Robes

That could be 2 more waves of WOK figures!

2 wouldn't require new tooling: McCoy could be made from Kirk; Terrel in EV suit could be made from Chekov (if they make Chekov).

But Diamond doesn't like waves with 3 new sculpts, 1 re-use. They prefer 3-re-uses and 1 new sculpt for their business model.

That must be why the DS9 waves don't yet have Kira in her normal Bajoran uniform or Quark or Gul Dukat yet.

Jayspawn
06-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Was on vacation to Vegas thi slast week. Finally went to Star Trek The Experience. Pretty cool setup. Nice attraction.

The Store was very nice, had ALL the latest figures out. I gotta say that Uhura, Spock, and Away Kirk look great! The thing that puzzles me is that there was NO Saavik! TONS of figures but no female vulcans for some reason. Anyways, I got a cool Kirk shirt.

Blue2th
06-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Anyways, I got a cool Kirk shirt.

Curious, are those like the originals in velour or just the same colors?
I wouldnt mind having a some kind of a TOS shirt.

I have a Picard shirt I bought at Spencers years ago.

Tycho
06-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Saavik had probably sold out. She might be a lower production run, too. They can only reuse that body sculpt for Uhura.

I haven't gotten my figures yet. But they are in transit to me.

Meanwhile, I will add some excitement around here by posting some Trek figure pictures.

THESE ARE NOT MY FIGURES - but someone else's photos from ArtAsylum.com's forums. Most of my figures are still carded until I have a large place to set aside a room to display my Star Trek stuff.

I have more WOK figures not shown: McCoy, Scott, Sulu, Chekov, Terrel, injured Khan, etc.

I have a lot more TOS figures not shown here.

I have more DS9 figures than are shown here.

Jayspawn
06-02-2008, 11:46 AM
Called my local store (that would have Trek figures). They sold out of Saavik right away.

Anyone know what the date was for the Ent D? Probably the fall.

Tycho
06-05-2008, 08:30 PM
I got my figures today and whoa are they cool!

Regula Mission Kirk is kind of a salt-shaker shell around articulated arms and legs, but it's an impressive sculpt I'm happy to have. I'm fine if they re-used this sculpt for McCoy and also did a Saavik from the Away Team.

Spock is perfect and it's great to finally have him in this uniform!

WOK was so much the best choice for TOS movie figures! (Now I also want Jaquim, David, and Carol!)

Meanwhile, Saavik and Uhura are impressive. I'm pretty sure they use the same body sculpt, but it looks like Saavik's boobs are bigger. :stupid: I would notice these things.

But man, could a line of TOS movie figures EVER go on!

civilian clothes crew
crew in 20th century medical scrubs
casual attire variations (Kirk's vest, Spock's meditation robe, Scott's vest, etc.)
all the aliens and guest stars of course
in-scale replicas of humpback whales.... well maybe I'm just kidding about that one

Anyway, this was a great purchase. I haven't gotten new toys for a while, and TOS Star Trek stuff is greatly appreciated!

Jayspawn
06-06-2008, 11:26 AM
The movie figures ARE lookin great. I'm actually thinking about getting the upcoming TMP Kirk and Spock.

My movie figure wishlist includes...

Generations Kirk in Captain's Vest
Generations Picard
Generations Captain Herriman
Dr. Soran (thats right, Malcom McDowell!!!)
TUC Scotty in Engineer's Vest
TUC Captain Sulu
TUC Lt. Valeris
FC Borg Queen

I know I'll think of some others...

Tycho
06-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Jayspawn, what's really cool is that some of your wishlist could fit MANY possible movie collections:

Generations Kirk in Captain's Vest

That could be ST6 as well, if I'm not mistaken.

TUC Scotty in Engineer's Vest

This could be in a ST3,4,5,or 6 collection!

TUC Captain Sulu

I think they only need to alter the rank insignia and the undershirt color of the current Sulu figure, though they might want a new face sculpt to make him older or just gray his hair a little.

FC Borg Queen

They made her. See attached photo. The Borg female to her right (our left) is Seven of Nine (the first Voyager crewmember figure in a sense). I'm not sure if the Borg to her left is a special character or just a generic Borg.

I'm not sure if I'm getting the Borgs or not. I have the original 3 Borg Assimilation figures, and an extra Nemesis Picard and Data to do a FC scene. I might even have an extra Worf (not sure if I need him for DS9 - I bought like 3, possibly 4 Worfs). But if I can buy him as a single, I'd like Picard in his captain's vest from FC. I could also use an extra Nemesis Riker, but don't need another Deanna Troi that I know of (though someone really into Voyager might want to put her with the appropriate figure of Mr. Barclay if they make him in that uniform).

Tycho
07-26-2008, 10:47 PM
They're coming out with a Commander Kruge and Klingon Officer 2-pack as they're moving on to the other TOS Star Trek movies.

They will NOT be making McCoy and Saavik in Regula-1 Away Team outfits, nor David Marcus (for either film) - too obscure Diamond said.

I bet we might see the TOS crew in their civilian outfits though - at least Kirk, Sulu, McCoy, Chekov, and that would mean Scotty in his engineering tool vest!!!

Hey - didn't Saavik wear her Away Team coat in STIII anyway? Maybe there's still a chance for a 2nd figure of her.

Deep Space Nine will definitely continue!

The Borg from First Contact look great, too. Seven-of-Nine (totally as a Borg) is included with that collection. The Borgs all look taller than the regular figures though.

Colonel Kira's figure seems to have a bigger butt though. What's up with that? (She's in a Starfleet uniform from 7th season)

Blue2th
07-28-2008, 08:11 PM
Colonel Kira's figure seems to have a bigger butt though. What's up with that? (She's in a Starfleet uniform from 7th season)

I always thought on the show she had a bigger butt proportioned to the rest of her bod.
Authenticity. :laugh:

Jedi_Kal-El
07-28-2008, 08:30 PM
I always thought on the show she had a bigger butt proportioned to the rest of her bod.
Authenticity. :laugh:

I always liked Kira's big butt. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
08-01-2008, 03:12 PM
I really don't understand why AA keeps going back to the Borg over and over despite no interest and no sales. It's not that they're bad work, but they're just totally lacking "wow, I want that" factor right now. These looked good, but my eyes slipped past them every single time to the Klingons and other figures.

So, one thing Tycho didn't mention because he didn't see it (or didn't take notice if he did, stupid Diamond put it on the friggin' floor!!!) was the upcoming 1701-D. This thing will be $50, and before you have a heart attack, let me explain why as I did see it in person. The ship is in scale to the Ent-E, which means it's almost as long yet twice as wide and tall. The ship took up the ENTIRE floor of the display case it was in, this thing is massive, I cannot imagine them using some flimsy stand like they have in the past to display it, I'm picturing 2 stands at least. Here's the pics Steve took, they don't really sell the size that well because there's no context, but let me assure you, this thing is MASSIVE:
http://photos.actionfigs.com/showgallery.php?cat=3683

Notice also that it finally has the surface detail it deserves, no prior version at any scale has truly gone there until now. Hopefully the production model will match this. November cannot come soon enough!

Blue2th
08-01-2008, 08:28 PM
I really don't understand why AA keeps going back to the Borg over and over despite no interest and no sales. It's not that they're bad work, but they're just totally lacking "wow, I want that" factor right now. These looked good, but my eyes slipped past them every single time to the Klingons and other figures.

So, one thing Tycho didn't mention because he didn't see it (or didn't take notice if he did, stupid Diamond put it on the friggin' floor!!!) was the upcoming 1701-D. This thing will be $50, and before you have a heart attack, let me explain why as I did see it in person. The ship is in scale to the Ent-E, which means it's almost as long yet twice as wide and tall. The ship took up the ENTIRE floor of the display case it was in, this thing is massive, I cannot imagine them using some flimsy stand like they have in the past to display it, I'm picturing 2 stands at least. Here's the pics Steve took, they don't really sell the size that well because there's no context, but let me assure you, this thing is MASSIVE:

Notice also that it finally has the surface detail it deserves, no prior version at any scale has truly gone there until now. Hopefully the production model will match this. November cannot come soon enough!
Yup, going to have to get that one for sure. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
08-03-2008, 03:57 AM
Yeah, I just need to figure out how I want to do billing on it, I fully intend to order it from NewForce.

Tycho
08-05-2008, 09:20 AM
I'm going to have to check if the Klingon 2-pack is up for pre-order on NewForce yet.

Klingons are cool and they might make TOS crew in their civies from ST III / IV to go with them.

Then maybe they'll make some deluxe action figures of George and Gracie. I don't think any toy line yet has had poseable humpback whales!

ncbarrett
08-05-2008, 10:04 AM
... Here's the pics Steve took, they don't really sell the size that well because there's no context, but let me assure you, this thing is MASSIVE:

There is a reflection of someones foot in one of the pictures. That gives some perspective.

JediTricks
08-09-2008, 06:32 PM
There is a reflection of someones foot in one of the pictures. That gives some perspective.
That's not a reflection, it's show-through from the other side of the case. But you're right, it does an ok job of giving perspective.

NewForce has the Ent-D on presale for $35. Must... take... advantage!!!

Darth Duranium
08-26-2008, 10:52 PM
Here's some pics of 2 new waves of repainted JL ships coming up for pre-order:

Thanks to trekmovie.com... though their article about JL is occasionally inaccurate.

Wave 5 -
Enterprise NX-01 (2 enormous "phasers" or torpedoes, repaint)
Klingon D7 Battlecruiser (light grey, exploding marmalade damage, "disruptor" torpedo)
Enterprise 1701 refit (toasted! in final death throes from Star Trek III... sniffle .... hold me)
Shuttlecraft Galileo II (2-tone grey/white, window paint)

Wave 6 -
Borg Cube (exploding marmalade damage and Borg energy beam)
Romulan D7 Battlecruiser (TAS design...though the stand says Klingon)
USS Yamato (Galaxy-class, no nacho cheese dip)
USS Excalibur (Constitution-class, white)

I'm hoping the toasted Enterprise comes with teeny toasted Klingons... hard to see the details of the wreck...

Can't say I'm overly stoked but... I'll be grabbing the whole kit and kaboodle, I'd think... though I'll be doing some major surgery on those ridiculous missile things.

The borgified USS Voyager is delayed. And I'm surprised they went with the TAS Romulan D7 when the Remastered Romulan D7 is much kewler, IMHO.

As always, JL's paint and detailing look pretty good... and JL will be continuing the line with new ships in 2009, apparently.

Darth Duranium
08-27-2008, 04:10 PM
A few more pics of Wave 5... should be released this month. Wave 6 (last post) is due in October, apparently.

Blue2th
08-27-2008, 06:25 PM
I can't say I'm overly stoked either on any of these. Maybe the last 3 from wave 6. Not too into anything from the candy crystal phaser marmalade universe.

LTBasker
08-27-2008, 07:50 PM
I'll probably pick up the Yamato, Excalibur, Galileo and maybe the Enterprise. The rest are...meh.

Kinda wish the Yamato was the Challanger from "Timeless" though, as there is a Captain LaForge figure coming and it'd be nice to have something to display with him.

http://trekmovie.com/2008/08/23/more-details-on-alternate-reality-collective-dvd-set/

Darth Duranium
08-28-2008, 01:06 AM
Yeah, LT... the "Meh Factor" is strong in these waves... just unnecessary repaints, really.

A USS Challenger would have been kewler... it'd be hard to find a Delta Flyer in a scale small enough to go with it, though. A speck, a mote of dust.

But any episode in which Geordie wastes Chakotay is fine by me. And that one was one of Voyager's best episodes, really. One of Trek's best teasers, too.

The Yamato should come with a virus that'll affect all the electronics at your home... but then again, that's nothing new to Microsoft OS users.

On the plus side, at least I can put my diecast Starblazers Yamato next to it... just to rile the purists.

But I'm just a sucker for this scale. There are precious few these days.

Plus, they're cheap. You can grab the wave for much less than one Hallmark, though obviously they're not in the same league. IMHO, JL's paint is outstanding for this scale, overall.

I'll end up grabbin' them en masse from eBay 'cuz I'll never ever see one in a store... all I ever see are clear Romulan Warbirds from eons ago.

I'd love to see more Trek "alien" ships from JL, and an Akira-class and Enterprises B, C, and E would rock. How about a few shuttlepods, travel pods, or TNG/DS9/VOY shuttles? I could go on...

Still waiting for the Konami ship set to come down in price... kinda semi-stoked about those, too.

But they too will join the Fleet eventually... mwa-ha-ha...(insert image of deranged Commodore twirling mustache)

JediTricks
08-28-2008, 03:29 AM
Man, Johnny Lightning is riding the rails to hell with those waves.

Darth Duranium
08-28-2008, 06:55 AM
A few more (and better) pics... for those less prone to wheeled evangelism, anyway.

Tycho
08-28-2008, 11:23 AM
For those interested in the actual figures, NewForceComics will take pre-orders for Kruge / Maltz Star Trek 3 Klingon 2-pack and they look great!

Kah-plah!

Blue2th
08-28-2008, 12:03 PM
I was reading in the newest Star Trek magazine that the "Star Trek Experience" had moved to the Aerospace Museum in San Diego (Balboa Park?) since June of this year. It's called something different now. Something like the "Star Trek Exibition"

I didn't buy the mag just reading it at the newstand.

Tycho
08-28-2008, 04:01 PM
It's a temporary thing in San Diego. The Las Vegas one is still there, but it will be permanently closing in Dec. / January which really sucks. I had some fun times drinking at Quark's and riding the flight simulators.

LTBasker
08-28-2008, 06:25 PM
For those interested in the actual figures, NewForceComics will take pre-orders for Kruge / Maltz Star Trek 3 Klingon 2-pack and they look great!

Kah-plah!

I had never looked up the character of Maltz before the 2-pack, and was quite shocked to find that he was played by John Larroquette. That is some massively insane, outrageous, and brilliant casting for KLINGONS. Lloyd...and Larroquette.

And the inclusion of the little beastie quite cool.

cookiemonster
08-28-2008, 06:58 PM
I am looking forward to the release of the 3 3/4 figures next year to coincide with the New Movie, I know the movie figures will be the first ones, but I wonder if they sell well we will see other characters and aliens.

LTBasker
08-28-2008, 08:47 PM
Well, as far as non-movie characters goes, Playmates only has the license for the movie while DST has the license(s) for everything that came before. So, unless Playmates gets permission to make Abrams-inspired versions of characters not in the movie, they likely won't be making anything from the previous series or movies.

Tycho
08-29-2008, 12:18 AM
I long for a Star Trek line like the Star Wars line, with vehicles and playsets (uh we used to have playsets, didn't we?) that the figures interact with and one can make massive battle dioramas with.

Unfortunately, I'm not thrilled by having my heroes like William Shatner's Kirk, and Leonard Nimoy's Spock re-cast. (Yeah, I know Nimoy will be in the film as the older Spock).

I would've so much preferred a DS9 Dominion Wars toy line with interactive ships for the figures to fight in. Obviously they wouldn't be made to scale, as a lot of the Star Trek ships are bigger than the Star Wars ships. But there are compromises that could be made that would still allow the creation of cool vehicle toys for the figures to fly around in.

ArtAsylum/Diamond figures are just too big to ever really see that happen.

I'm not sure I'll rush out and buy Playmates new line. I may wait until I see the movie anyway.

I don't buy ALL Star Trek: Next Gen TV series and Voyager products I will probably tend to skip.

LTBasker
08-29-2008, 11:10 PM
A picture was released of the upcoming "Timeless" Captain LaForge. Looks pretty cool, I'll have to find a way to get two...

http://trekmovie.com/2008/08/29/first-look-at-alternate-realities-dvd-free-geordi-figure/

Tycho
08-30-2008, 07:34 AM
So far they're being really timid with the Voyager offerings. There seems to be a Seven-of-Nine in total Borg gear in the Borg collection (with the Queen and some other Borg). Now there's Geordi, who they can bank on TNG's popularity with.

I'm not very likely to collect Voyager figures, though a set of Captain Proton variations might inspire me. I have Playmates Voyager figures from way back. That is probably enough for me.

I didn't dislike Voyager, but it was not my favorite Trek or anything. Voyager's characters were some of the Starfleet folks I could relate the most to - as I'd be most like Tom Paris were I in the Trek universe, I imagine. Harry and Tuvok were cool, and I thought B'Ellana was sexy (and was the character who reminded me the most of someone I date). Still, the show was not as iconic as it might have been. I would have handled Voyager much differently if I were in Rick Berman's shoes.

crazydave75
09-08-2008, 05:44 PM
i would love to see 3 3/4" star trek figures of all the movies i think they'd be really popular the possibilties for playsets and ships would be endless anyone agree?

JediTricks
09-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Galoob did figures around this scale for TNG, it tanked hard, but it was early in TNG's run and Galoob's figures were pretty boring.

I think this scale is what they're using for the new movie.

I personally think this scale only works if there are vehicles and playsets to go with it, if those aren't delivered then this scale goes to waste - Trek ain't like SW where it's a gotta-catch-'em-all cast of thousands.

BTW, I just finally preordered the Ent-D from NewForce.

Tycho
09-08-2008, 11:50 PM
Trek ain't like SW where it's a gotta-catch-'em-all cast of thousands.

The Dominon War!!!

Blue2th
09-09-2008, 11:39 AM
Art Asylum Star Trek interview: http://www.artasylum.com/blog/2008/09/ask-dst-trek/

I'm looking forward to getting one of those Tribbles.

Tycho
09-09-2008, 01:34 PM
Hmmm. I'd like more TWOK figures like Jaquim and Chekov and Terrel in EV suits, Saavik and McCoy in away team gear. When I asked at Comic Con, Diamond said, "no." It looks like they always could change their position though. That'd be great news.

I'm not certain I care about their reluctance to make Voyager stuff.

It's great news that Quark is likely to be coming to the DS9 line in the near future.

Also, I'd like it if they did more movie TNG stuff, and got to Insurrection.

PLEASE continue TOS stuff like the Salt Vampire and more movie figures like the crew in their civilian clothes as well as many more of the bad-guy characters. A Colonel West with removeable Klingon mask from ST6 would be awesome! There's so much more they can do - including Starfleet Rescue Gear heroes from ST5.

JediTricks
09-09-2008, 07:43 PM
I'm a little bummed that the Defiant didn't make the cut for the next 2. I really feel like they need to do a Klingon Bird of Prey, the Defiant, the Excelsior, and a classic BOP - those all seem very necessary, in that order.

LTBasker
09-09-2008, 10:46 PM
At least they imply that it could be the next ship after those two, I'm hoping the Reliant and a K-BoP are next up. I'd actually prefer the Excelsior over Reliant, but I think it'd be good for them to get it out before they leave TWOK too far behind. If they do release a K-BoP, then it will most definitely require moving wings. The wings would obviously need to be removable for packaging purposes, so why not just give'em hinges to mount on. :D

One good thing about if they ever make Excelsior is that I could easily see them making the Enterprise-B as a variation of it, considering it actually has less new parts to add than the AGT Enterprise will require.

crazydave75
09-10-2008, 04:26 PM
:pleased:

we need a defiant !i love that ship almost as much as the Enterprise E

JediTricks
09-11-2008, 08:45 PM
Reliant does need to be done soon, not sure how it slipped my mind, especially since we just had the 25th anniversary. I always feel like when it doesn't make the next list, it's never gonna get done because this line always feels precarious, but it seems to be holding up.

That'd be ironic if they did Ent-B as a variant of the Excelsior since Playmates released an Excelsior that was a mere recedo of their Ent-B. :p

I wish they'd release 2 ships a year with this line, we've waited for Defiant and others long enough.

Rik Duel
09-11-2008, 10:14 PM
The Wrath of Khan phaser looks cool. (am I the only one who really wants a Search for Spock phaser too?)

Old Fossil
09-12-2008, 02:04 PM
I only saw the Mego type Kirk and Klingon 2-pk once at a Hastngs. Should've bought it, it's the last time I've seen it. I liked the soft goods (clothes) and detail. If I remember they are the same size as the AA's, but I liked them better.

So I found the retro-Mego-style Spock, Bones, Andorian, and Romulan at FAO in Vegas this week, and totally fell in love with them. Such great memories of having them as a kid! I had forgotten all about this. I'm not a Trek collector, really, but I had TOS Mego figures (Kirk, Spock, Bones, and Scotty) as a kid long before I had any SW.

I only bought Mr. Spock and Dr. McCoy, though I now want the others as well, and the upcoming ones, too.

Glancing round Ebay, looks like I'm gonna be out around $50-$60 to add Kirk and the Klingon. Oh well!:rolleyes:

My question is: on Diamond's site they are listed as 2-packs, but I bought these singly. Are they sold as 2-packs only online, or what?

crazydave75
09-12-2008, 05:46 PM
i've been tryin to get hold of next gen figures data geordi picard ordered off amoktime but no joy anyone know where i can get them

Tycho
09-13-2008, 03:20 AM
I get almost all of my Star Trek stuff from www.newforcecomics.com.

The owner Rick is a total fan and very dedicated (and good) with his customer service.

JediTricks
09-14-2008, 04:15 PM
I can vouch for NewForce if need be, Rick is a good guy, he helped me BIG TIME when I needed Commtech R2-D2 (it was a very hard to find figure back in the day) and has done right by me ever since. His efforts have made some very cool Trek collectibles happen that otherwise wouldn't.

Old Fossil
09-29-2008, 09:17 PM
So I ordered the Scotty/Keeper 2-pack of "retro cloth" Mego-style figures from Diamond Select. Within about four days I heard the doorbell ring, and lo! the postwoman had left a box from DS Toys on my porch. The box looked a little large, but I thought, "Hmm. Mostly packaging material, probably. Good work, Diamond Select." Then I picked up the box, and it was a bit too heavy for 2 figures.

My first thought was, even before I opened it: Shipping error in my favor!!! Then I thought, what if this is something I don't want at all? Calls, customer service, returns... headache. I took the box to the kitchen, got out a paring knife, and sliced the box open.

I got a solid case of Scotty/Keeper figures. That means instead of 2 figures, I got 8: 4 Scotty, 4 Keeper. GREAT HORNY TOADS!

This has happened to me before, kind of. When I ordered a Concept General Greivous figure from StarWarsShop last year, I ended up getting, like, a box of 10 of 'em, IIRC. That was a good day; I felt a little better after paying SWShop's inflated price for that Greivous figure. Yes, I kept all the Greivous figures, though I gave all but 2 away. I still feel a little guilty, a little.

So YAY, lovin' online ordering!!! But since DS seems like a good company, not out to fleece me too much on my newfound Star Trek habit, I emailed them and let them know about the overshipped product. I got a short reply to the effect of "we'll send you a return label so they can be sent back." So I'm waiting on the return label now, part of me wishing that I had kept my mouth shut. The other part wonders what the hell I'd do with 3 extra Scotty and Keeper figures.

And the Keeper freaks me out a little, albeit in a good way.:twisted:

plasticfetish
09-29-2008, 09:48 PM
The other part wonders what the hell I'd do with 3 extra Scotty and Keeper figures.Can't believe I'm the first to say this, but... uh... I could have taken a pair off your hands. ;)

Blue2th
09-29-2008, 10:12 PM
Maybe you have a Hero super power Old Fossil, the ability to get more than you pay. lol

Tycho
09-30-2008, 11:31 PM
Reminds me that I need to order my Klingon figures from Star Trek III and NewForce.

Blue2th
10-05-2008, 10:56 AM
More Q&A from Art Asylum:
http://www.artasylum.com/blog/2008/10/ask-dst-qa-9/

Tycho
10-05-2008, 04:48 PM
2-packs per Trek movie?

New Nemesis? Well, I think the Riker & Troi one counted.

Insurrection? Picard and Ru'Afo would be the first, most likely guess. But there might be other possibilities. This movie could generate some cool figures.

First Contact: a lot of these have already been done.

Generations: Soran and Picard would be very likely.

Undiscovered Country? McCoy and Gorkin could be interesting. The space-suited assassin and Gorkin would be even better. General Chang would be a natural offering - but with who? Kirk looked not too much different than from how he always appears.

Final Frontier: Kirk and Spock in Starfleet Rescue Gear would be sweet! Kirk in the same outfit vs. Sybok would also work for me. I want the whole crew in SF rescue gear though (Sulu, Uhura, and McCoy in addition to the Kirk and Spock).

Voyage Home: Kirk and McCoy dressed as doctors would be a hoot! Gillian Taylor (hopefully 20th century) would work - could be with Spock in his bathrobe and headband. Scale size "George and Gracie" would be awesome as well. The first toy line with humpback whale action figures! They'd wind up being way bigger than the BMF Falcon or the Hot Toys Batmobile! And they'd come straight to your door in a recycled refrigerator box.

Old Fossil
10-05-2008, 07:30 PM
For those (like me) who missed out on the Kirk and Klingon Mego-style figures, Entertainment Earth has them up for preorder (http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DC71891AA), with an October shipping date.

JediTricks
10-08-2008, 03:22 AM
The AA youtube video for the Ent-D is the sounds, no ship:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmGeo8wf1p4

Lots of dialog, some doesn't blend well because it's from the episode rather than studio masters. And I really wish there was a second button for voice instead of interweaving it. Still, the fact that when you pull the saucer off and put it back on it makes accompanying noises, that's awesome!

I am strongly considering preordering the TOS Tricorder from NFC, but I'm a little strapped for cash right now and can't pull the trigger. Its release is very soon too, so I have to decide right away.

Darth Duranium
10-12-2008, 04:33 AM
Check 'em out... due next month.

Might have seen most of these ships in this scale once or twice before...

It'd be kewl to have a Defiant in that smaller scale, though... and the paint looks sharp on most in these pics.

Tycho
10-12-2008, 04:35 AM
The Defiant CLOAKS!!! How cool is that?

I think I might have to get this one. It's my favorite Star Trek ship!

Blue2th
10-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Who's F-Toys? Furuta?
That Enterprise D is huge compared to the others. More so comparatively than like the JL's or Furuta's.
Wouldn't mind having another Defiant and the cloaked one.
The Defiant still doesn't look as detailed as the Furuta, though it might be washed out bright by the photo.

Tycho
10-12-2008, 08:49 PM
It's washed out because Sisko got mad at Bashir again and made him put on a spacesuit and give his ship a new shine!

JediTricks
10-16-2008, 01:28 AM
Those look good, but I don't see finer sculpted details like lines on the saucer of the Ent-A. The Defiant(s) looks great, I'm not in love with the bold paint, there's not as much contrast on the real one, but they did a good job overall.

Blue2th
10-16-2008, 10:24 AM
It's washed out because Sisko got mad at Bashir again and made him put on a spacesuit and give his ship a new shine!
Scub-a-dub-dub Bashir! Sisko's got a short fuse. Too bad they don't have R2 units or Walli's in the Star Trek universe. :)

Darth Duranium
10-17-2008, 04:46 PM
Here's a new White Lightning ship from the new wave of JLs on eBay... the NX-02 Columbia. I'd like one... but I'll probably pass due to insane pricing. I did get the WL NX Enterprise a while back... I like it a lot... this one looks a little more detailed to me.

F-Toys are made by a company called Platz, using moulds by Finemolds of Japan whom I'm sure everyone agrees does superb work. Not exactly sure what the arrangement is, and if the F in F-Toys means Finemolds or not, though I'd imagine so. They're sold as "food toys" in Japan and there'll likely be more "volumes" to follow...

Darth Duranium
10-26-2008, 10:55 PM
This time it's the WL Columbus. Wish they'd done this as the regular release instead of the Galileo II.

For that matter, wish they'd released the NX Columbia, instead of another JL NX Enterprise.

My regular set of Series 5 is (hopefully) in the mail... hope it's got a few WL's in there (yeah right!).

Darth Duranium
10-29-2008, 07:06 PM
I just got this set in the post today... not bad, overall. Tore off those stupid "photons" straight away.

I ended up getting an apparent shuttlecraft oddity... the ship's marked "Galileo II" on the sides (and box) but the front is marked "Columbus"!!!

Not sure if this is a half-White Lightning variant or if they've all got this error. Anyone else pick up this wave?

Darth Duranium
11-04-2008, 02:18 PM
Here's a few pics of the JL Shuttlecraft from wave 5... messed up, huh?

LTBasker
11-04-2008, 03:04 PM
That's pretty bizarre, but cool too. Maybe the poor crewman got mixed up with all the shuttles looking alike. :D

Btw, if anyone is having trouble finding the wave, a site called milezone.com have all 4 ships for $4.99 each.

JediTricks
11-05-2008, 10:32 PM
Awesome paint error! Johnny Lightning: 0. DT: 1 :D

Darth Duranium
11-06-2008, 04:02 PM
Sure beats paying $60 for a White Lightning version on eBay... not that I ever would. Y'know, I'm pretty happy about the "error"...I already have a Galileo I... hope it's unique!

I think Matt Jeffries got his tubes tied... the shuttlecraft was never fully redressed!

Should I call it Galumbus or Collileo II?

BTW, I picked up the set for $16 on eBay. Not bad...

Old Fossil
11-19-2008, 08:20 AM
I know few (if any) of y'all collect the Retro Cloth figures from Diamond Select, but as of last night, EE has the Kirk and Klingon set in stock.

LTBasker
11-25-2008, 04:06 PM
Well, people are finally getting their "Timeless" Geordi figures from the "Alternate Realities" DVD set offer, but there seems to have been a slight problem considering that not only did they not add gray paint to his hair to age him, but also he's missing the appropriate communicator.

Advertisement picture:
http://img.trekmovie.com/images/merchandise/FCARDVDinsertback.jpg

Actual figure:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/Jedigreedo/TimelessGeordi.jpg

Plus, he has that cheesy fist hand of Data's because they used First Contact Data for the base figure, rather than Sisko or Nemesis Geordi.

In other news, though, they showed carded pictures of DS9 wave 2 and TNG wave 5 (excluding Ro): http://www.artasylum.com/blog/2008/11/proof-positive-star-trek-update/

New accessories appear to be:
DS9 O'Brien & DS9 Bashir - Raccoon skin cap
TNG O'Brien - A plant?
NEM Crusher & TNG Ogawa - Medical purse kit

Can't tell if Martok comes with anything new, and Kira appears to get Starfleet weaponry instead of the Bajoran weaponry she was shown with in the promo pictures. Though, after all the delays these waves have faced it's sad that they still didn't include the appropriate rifles with the DS9 figures.

Tycho
11-26-2008, 09:57 AM
Thanks for posting the links to those pictures. The DS9 figures look really cool and it was so long ago that I ordered them. I hope this means mine are finally going to be shipping. Deep Space Nine is my favorite incarnation of Star Trek.

Now I really want them to make Quark and Kira in her Bajoran uniform. Weyoun and a Jem Hadar Soldier would be awesome - and a Gul Dukat figure by Art Asylum would be amazing. They could offer a repaint of Dukat very cheaply - making him with red eyes to symbolize possession by the Pa Wraith. (And I'd buy that without hesitation, too).

Let's see: I also want The Founder and Garack, a generic Cardassian Soldier, and Gul Damar.

Do you think they'll ever make the whole crew in their Niner baseball uniforms. This is the strangest obscurity I'd wish to collect from DS9 figures.

It's crazy how a television show that ended about a decade ago still generates enough interest to sell memorobilia products from.

Jedi_Kal-El
11-26-2008, 08:33 PM
You've named alot of the DS9 characters I wouldn't mind seeing imortilized in plastic by AA, Tycho. I still have all of my playmates DS9 figs, and even if I were to eventually get rid of all the TNG, TOS, and Voyager figs I have from the line, I'll never give up my DS9 set. The crappy part is though, as good a list as it is, we may never see some of them in the AA lineup.

JediTricks
11-30-2008, 06:26 PM
Wow, that Geordi figure is really lousy! They have some nerve.

What is with Beverly's face, and Nurse Ogawa's ridiculous smile?

Darth Duranium
12-13-2008, 03:28 AM
The first pic is said to be an official pic of the new Enterprise and a couple of shuttles (from EW)... if so, I'm pretty stoked. Kewl!

Quite a radical redesign on the secondary hull and warp engines... and curiously, no spikes on the nacelles, either. A blue deflector? Wow.

Interesting stuff. They've definitely gone for a complete BSG-style reboot, huh?

Some folks had better go out and get some Depends. I wonder which "old" TOS cast member will pull a Starbuck (Dirk Benedict) and crap all over the entire endeavour? Probably Shyte-ner...

Well, the old formula was pretty tapped out... I'm hoping the reboot breathes some life back into the ST universe. But it could get ugly up in here.

The second and third pics are fan works... not bad, either.

Blue2th
12-13-2008, 10:29 AM
I'm liking it, now that there are pics from another angle. The first official pic looked awkward.
It looks like an older Enterprise when you compare it to the A model. Also a nice progression from the first Enterprise. Almost a retro look, like an art-deco Enterprise.
Wonder if JL will make it?

Jayspawn
12-17-2008, 11:46 AM
I like how it looks. I'm hoping to get the new Playmates Enterprise assuming it looks good. Still have yet to see pics of anything yet.

Tycho
12-17-2008, 03:15 PM
NewForceComics.com has the Star Trek movie stuff up for pre-ordering. There are no pictures yet. They expect the toys will be billed and ship in March.

There are 3 3/4" that go with a bridge and transporter playset. I wonder if Playmates recycled stuff. They made a prototype for a Classic Trek plastic bridge playset for their 5 3/4" figures back in the day.

They have 2 cases of figures (10 different ones in each assortment) and they are 3 3/4" and 6". I wonder if 6" means 6" or 5 3/4" and NewForce wasn't given accurate information. Then the bridge playset would be for the larger figures and be produced from what Playmates had tooled but never used before. This would make sense on why the company chose to bid on the movie figures anyway.

It seems like in either assortment you get:

Kirk
Spock
a variant on Spock (Prime Spock - whatever that is. Might be Leonard Nimoy)
McCoy
Uhura
Sulu
Chekov
Scotty
Nero (Romulan bad guy)
Captain Pike

There is a 12" assortment and that includes:

Spock
Spock 2 (Nimoy?)
Kirk
McCoy

Anything runs you about $90 and with shipping, close to $102.

Then there is an Enterprise Ship ($24-30) role play phasers and tricorders, and the playsets (transporter and bridge) which run about $24-30.

A good bridge playset, like the one TNG had from Playmates back in the day, might run like $50.

Anyway, I would hope this collection would include Romulan army builders (or whoever the bad guys will be) and "red shirts" to put into combat for Starfleet as cannon-fodder. Plus some more of the smaller "fighter type" ships would be awesome if the Enterprise isn't made (off scale) for the figures where you can open the saucer to access the bridge (with the ship on a stand, of course).

Anyway, I'll wait until I see the movie to determine whether I'll be buying any of this product (most likely). It might be cool. I'd love to see the Toy Fair pictures though.

LTBasker
12-17-2008, 05:06 PM
Another 2-pack to not expect to be released this decade; Sisko and Gul Dukat!

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=12&itemid=13791

Dukat looks disappointing but I'm thinking he might look better at Toy Fair (assuming he shows up there), their photography department lately has been really amateurish.

Also, if you've got about $3000 in your wallet... http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=12&itemid=13792

Tycho
12-18-2008, 02:24 AM
Darn that sucks that the only way to get Dukat is in a 2-pack. Maybe they'll re-release him with red eyes as a variant?

I wasn't planning on collecting the 1-4th season crew figures in the Voyager-style uniforms. I guess Worf (with Gowron) is the only one I'm missing at the moment. Dax, O'Brien, and Bashir would be the only others they could do. But I just don't need these others as I have these uniforms from my Playmates figures.

But I want Dukat. And I hope they make more Cardassians (Damar, Garack, generic soldiers). Dukat is essential though - as he's Star Trek's most frequently starring bad guy out of any and all Treks. He was the best of their baddest!

LTBasker
12-18-2008, 11:04 AM
Yeah, it is unfortuante that the only way to get Dukat is in a 2-pack (even though I love more Starfleet uniform variants), I think he really would have done well as an individual figure. According to the latest Q&As from DST, though, sales on DS9 series 1 and pre-sales on series 2 have been poor.

At the very least we can probably suspect Dax will be made, both her and Sisko are the only ones that have been shown before at conventions, as far as I know O'Brien and Bashir aren't on the plate yet. (Side note: Sisko is specifically season 3 due to having the movie commbadge, and he was sporting the bald look at the start of season 4)
I may pick up another Odo just in case they do make the rest of the season 3-4 cast, though.

As far as Cardassians go, there are 3 others I really, really want them to do that can use the Dukat body: Gul Damar (highly requested by others as well), Gul Madred (TNG: "Chain of Command"), and Gul Evek (Appeared in TNG, DS9 and Voyager pilot). They could also use it for Garak, though I believe he only wore it in the Mirror Universe episodes, at the very least it would give them a headsculpt. They could then use the Odo body for a normal version.

JediTricks
12-18-2008, 07:21 PM
Another 2-pack to not expect to be released this decade; Sisko and Gul Dukat!

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=12&itemid=13791

Dukat looks disappointing but I'm thinking he might look better at Toy Fair (assuming he shows up there), their photography department lately has been really amateurish.Man, both figures look really lousy, bad faces and weird accents on the skin. You could be right about it being a bad photo, the lens does seem too close to the Sisko figure (those are shot separately), but I'm betting the sculpt is still a letdown.

Also, if you've got about $3000 in your wallet... http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=12&itemid=13792When I went to Star Trek: The Tour back in January, I sat in theirs, it was pretty cool. If I were a millionaire, I'd buy that. I wouldn't tell anybody though. :p

LTBasker
01-02-2009, 02:04 AM
http://www.gkmm.homepage.t-online.de/img/misc/tru_kirk.jpg

One of two exclusive figures for Toys R Us has shown up in Germany, it's Kirk yelling "KHAAAAAN!" Which actually looks more like Arnold after eating too much Taco Bell. However, I admire that they went the extra mile to redo the collar as the regular release had it raised, so hopefully this means a McCoy isn't far off.

The packaging is the same style that the TMP and Amok Time 2-packs have been released in, I believe it was done at CBS' request/order. It'll definitely make the Kirk look odd if displayed with other carded TWOK figures.

I'm looking forward to it, but I wonder if it will really sell well? I mean, the other TWOK figures aren't available via Toys R Us, and the face doesn't make it very new-buyer friendly. Maybe the second exclusive figure is supposed to compliment it?

Tycho
01-03-2009, 10:41 AM
At Comic Con, ArtAsylum / Diamond told me that WOK figures would not be continuing as I really wanted:

McCoy in Regula-1 Away Team Mission Gear
Saavik in Regula-1 Away Team Mission Gear
Scotty in radiation suit
Chekov in EV Suit
Terrel in EV Suit
Carol Marcus
David Marcus
Jaquim (Khan's son)

2 more waves of 4 could do it, and they could re-use parts for the Regula-1 outfits and EV suits (perhaps recycle them for TPM figures, too) and balance out their costs that way.

Diamond said they wanted to do more TOS movie figures (and have with the STIII Klingons).

What we also need are:

Kirk - civilian outfit (ST3 / 4)
Kirk - 20th century doctor (ST4)
Kirk - Starfleet Rescue Outfit (ST5)
Kirk - captain's vest (ST6)
Kirk as prisoner (ST 6)
Spock - black meditation robe (ST3)
Spock - white bath robe (ST4)
Spock - Starfleet Rescue Outfit (ST5)
McCoy - civilian outfit (ST3 / 4)
McCoy 20th century doctor (ST4)
McCoy - Starfleet Rescue Outfit (ST5)
McCoy as prisoner (ST 6)
Gillian Taylor
Gillian Taylor - 20th century doctor
Chekov - civilian outfit (ST3 / 4)
Chekov - 20th century hospital patient
Scotty - Engineering Vest (ST3 / 4 / 5 / 6)
Sulu - civilian outfit (ST 3 / 4)
Sulu - Starfleet Rescue Outfit (ST 5)
Uhura - Starfleet Rescue Outfit (ST 5)
Cybok
Cybok as "God"
General Chang
Chancellor Gorkon
Lady Azetbur
Klingon Officer
Martia
Prison Fight Alien (blue guy)
Sarek
Klingon Ambassador
Federation President (Brock Peters)
Admiral Cartwright
Colonel West (with Klingon disguise)
Lt. Valeris
Starfleet Assassin in Spacesuit

(uh, you can tell I liked ST 6, huh?)

LTBasker
01-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Very nice list; Civilian Kirk and robed Spock are fortunately confirmed: http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=DMC11044&mode=retail

My TOS movies wishlist goes as such-
TMP:
Kirk [t-shirt uniform], [EV suit], [all gray uniform], [Away team]
Spock [robes], [EV suit], [Away team]
Decker [regular], [Away team]
McCoy [Medical suit], [Away team]
Sulu
Scotty [Regular], [Engineering suit]
Chekov
Uhura
Ilia [Regular], [Probe]
Christine Chapel [Medical suit]
Janice Rand

TWOK:
Joachim
McCoy [Away team]
Saavik [Away team]
Kirk [Vest]
Commander Kyle
Commander Beach
Chekov [EV suit]
Terrel [EV suit], [Dying (yellow translucent plastic)]
Khan [Planet suit]
David Marcus
Carol Marcus
Sulu [Open-flap uniform)

TSFS:
Kirk [civilian jacket], civilian without vest (fight with Kruge)]
David Marcus
Saavik [regular], [Away team]
Spock [cermonial robes (just requires a head & chest piece added to TVH Spock)]
McCoy, Sulu, Chekov [Civilians]
Scotty [Captain's jacket]
Captain Styles [Excelsior]
Helm Officer [Excelsior]

TVH:
Scotty [Black uniform]
Kirk [Captain]
Christine Chapel
Captain [Saratoga]
Dr. Taylor [civilian], [future]

FF:
Kirk [Away team], [Captain's jacket]
Spock [Away team]
Sulu [Away team]
McCoy [Away team]
Uhura [Away team]
Soldier [Away team]

TUC:
Uhura [skirt]
Sulu [Captain]
Lt. Interruptus [Christian Slater]
McCoy [open-flap uniform]
Sarek
Federation President
Admiral Cartwright
Lt. Valeris
Federation Assassin
Colonel West [regular], [assassin (interchangable heads)]
Chancellor Gorkon
Chancellor's daughter
General Chang
Janice Rand
Colonel Worf

Tycho
01-04-2009, 03:35 PM
Basker, nice list as well. I will definitely be ordering the Kirk-Spock 2-pack from TVH. Those look like great figures. Do you think the bottom of Spock's robe is cloth to allow you to fully utilize his leg articulation?

I'll have to look for humpback whale action figures to go with this set! (no -seriously - and I'll be the crazy guy on the web who posts pictures of such a ludicrous undertaking!)

Anyway, from your list I picked out a few gems I hadn't thought of:

TWOK:
Khan [Planet suit] - I assume with the head-wrap and the gloves? Cool!

TSFS:
Kirk civilian without vest (fight with Kruge)] - forgot this was different!

TVH:
Scotty [Black uniform] - don't remember what this was.

FF:

YOU FORGOT: Kirk with "Go Climb a Rock t-shirt" :D (I WOULD buy this)

TUC:

Colonel Worf - might be tempting as I'm a big Worf fan. It'd be nice to have his grandpa I guess - but not necessary.

LTBasker
01-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Basker, nice list as well. I will definitely be ordering the Kirk-Spock 2-pack from TVH. Those look like great figures. Do you think the bottom of Spock's robe is cloth to allow you to fully utilize his leg articulation?

Probably not, I don't think there have been any figures below 12" scale from DST with cloth used...

I'll have to look for humpback whale action figures to go with this set! (no -seriously - and I'll be the crazy guy on the web who posts pictures of such a ludicrous undertaking!)

That'd be awesome to find, but then you would need Spock in tighty-whities! :eek:

Scotty [Black uniform] - don't remember what this was.

It's the same one as the engineering vest you have listed, that he wears throughout TSFS-TUC. I just took to calling it a black uniform.

Tycho
01-05-2009, 02:00 AM
I thought it was dark brown. Playmates made a figure of Scotty in this outfit from TNG episode Relics. I used him as a STIII: SFS figure to go with my other Playmates TOS movie figures.

Yes. This is the first way I always envision Scotty myself.

I loved the original actors in these roles. Chris Pine.... I don't know. I'll give him a chance though. Leonard Nimoy is behind the project, as afterall he is starring in it.

JediTricks
01-07-2009, 09:45 PM
That yelling Kirk is wretched.

ST4 Kirk & Spock look alright, but not great.

At TRU tonight, I saw some TOS figures re-released with that new packaging scheme. It's a HORRIBLE design in person, the graphics are simplistic and look like something out of a discount store, and the cardboard is cheap and the J-hook not reinforced, so they're guaranteed to be ruined on pegs (which these were). They had TOS Kirk, Spock, and 2 TRU-exclusive 2packs: Kirk & Spock kroykah, and TMP Kirk & Spock in the same outfit. There was also the TOS phaser in new TRU colors (read: crappy simple gray). $12.99 for the basic figures, $24.99 for the phaser, and didn't find out for the 2packs.

Jayspawn
01-07-2009, 10:58 PM
Sorry JT I missed something. Did yu see repacks of the AA Trek Classic figures?

LTBasker
01-07-2009, 11:07 PM
Yeah, the packaging is CBS' idea. Fortunately they were allowed to keep the packaging for TNG wave 5 and DS9 wave 2 the same as previous releases. Btw, both waves are in customs and should be arriving to stores soon according to Rick at NewForce.

The all-gray Kirk in the TRU TMP 2-pack is exclusive to them, and surprisingly they even knocked off the collar of the white/gray Kirk to make it accurate.

Jayspawn, yeah, TOS versions of Kirk and Spock have been rereleased to TRU.

Pics by "reverie" on a separate board:
Kirk - http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s61/reverie914/IMG_3274.jpg
Spock - http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s61/reverie914/IMG_3272.jpg
Arnold err TWOK Kirk - http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s61/reverie914/IMG_3276.jpg
Exclusive TMP variant - http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s61/reverie914/IMG_3277.jpg

JediTricks
01-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Sorry JT I missed something. Did yu see repacks of the AA Trek Classic figures?Precisely.

Yeah, the packaging is CBS' idea. Fortunately they were allowed to keep the packaging for TNG wave 5 and DS9 wave 2 the same as previous releases. Btw, both waves are in customs and should be arriving to stores soon according to Rick at NewForce.CBS isn't wrong that the line needs a different look, but this is so poor, so unfinished, that it's a disaster.

BTW, where are you getting that info on NFC's shipping? I signed up for their newsletter but haven't seen anything in 6 months... I may have signed up in the wrong email box though, I just realized.

The all-gray Kirk in the TRU TMP 2-pack is exclusive to them, and surprisingly they even knocked off the collar of the white/gray Kirk to make it accurate.It and the Spock in all-gray looks so super bland.

LTBasker
01-09-2009, 05:55 PM
Awhile back I joined a Trek merchandise focused message board called Trek Toy, and Rick posts there occasionally in discussions. He also used to post at the AA forum before DST shut it down.

http://www.trektoy.com/forum/

Also, TNG wave 5 and DS9 wave 2 and are now listed as in stock at places like BBTS and AFX.

JediTricks
01-09-2009, 07:22 PM
Huh, ok, interesting. Thanks for the link.

Tycho
01-09-2009, 10:59 PM
All this has prompted me to rewatch my Trek theatrical movies again.

So far I've only played TMP but really enjoyed it to my surprise. I usually like the films from WOK on down the line more, but I hadn't seen TMP in a long time and actually stayed on the edge of my seat. VGER was Voyager-6! Who'd have guessed that? A very small cast and the bulk of the money spent on the special effects and sets, the movie still plays very well when it comes to the characters and acting. That was always one of Star Trek's strengths. Plus I'm just a fan of William Shatner!

Old Fossil
01-09-2009, 11:09 PM
I love TMP, too. Besides all you mentioned, Tycho, the music is outstanding. Can't recall off the top of my head who wrote the score.

Didn't Orson Scott Card write the story?

Tycho
01-10-2009, 04:20 AM
Alan Dean Foster wrote the story. Much of the time I loathe reading Foster's work. It's not terrible, but there are other authors who come in and play in someone else's universe (Lucas, Roddenberry, etc.) like Kevin J. Anderson to name a repeat-offender, and James Luceno who is possibly THE best at it - both of whom I'd much rather read before anything penned by Foster.

To be honest, the story for TMP wasn't that big or complex to conceive. And it worked. They just threw special effects at the viewers to shock and awe them for 2 1/2 hours and made it really feel like our future in space. For that the creative powers behind TMP should be commended.

I think Jerry Goldsmith did the music and he was indeed great at it. TMP started a tradition with a very classic Star Trek theme (that's now widely known as The Next Generation's theme).

Tycho
01-11-2009, 01:06 PM
I think I'm going to change my mind and purchase that WOK % of Spock" 2-pack.

I was watching WOK last night and Spock died again (saving the Enterprise of course).

Scotty wore the radiation suit and McCoy was in his medical digs as those 2 completed the scene with Kirk and Spock.

I'd like to open my figures up and recreate that scene with my toys.

To do this, they'll have to make the McCoy and Scott figures that Lt.Basker mentioned in his previous post. I hope they'll do this, and it couldn't hurt to keep the of Spock 2-pack carded for a while as I wait it out to see if AA/DST produces these McCoy and Scott figures. Scotty wore that uniform in TMP as well, I believe, so there are several opportunities to market it.

I don't remember when I last watched the movies looking for action figure ideas, but I think there is a level of burn-out with Star Wars, thus I'm looking more closely at Trek. But then I've always collected Trek stuff since Mego days and Pl8ymtes in 1992.

Also, I don't own any of the Star Trek films on DVD. I purposely sought out Nemesis on VHS to keep my collection consistent! :crazed:

Now I am rethinking this and might buy all the feature films on DVD. Yup.

LTBasker
01-11-2009, 07:03 PM
McCoy also wore the same medical uniform in TMP (different undershirt though), so a McCoy/Scotty 2-pack could pretty much serve two movies at once.

Right now, BBTS and CSC both have the TWOK 2-pack marked down to $16, which is a great deal for it. Even if you leave it carded it looks great since the bubble is designed to look like Spock is in the radiation tube.

- http://www.cornerstorecomics.com/index.cfm?page=shopping/shop&Category_ID=44&ChildCategory_ID=217&Product_ID=1064
- http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=DMC10823&mode=retail

Tycho
01-11-2009, 08:02 PM
I ordered an "opener" from NewForce for $19 and that's OK with me. I give NF a lot of business and I'm glad to support Rick over there.

I actually have a lot ordered with NewForce:

DS9 Worf & Gowron
DS9 Kirk (Starfleet), O'Brien, Bashir, Martok
WOK Death of Spock 2-pack
SFS Kruuge and Malz 2-pack
VH Kirk & Spock 2-pack

And I plan on ordering Sisko / Dukat 2-pack once Rick puts it up.

I am waiting to see the Chris Pine Trek figures, how they all look in their respective sizes, and what accessories (ships / playsets) they interact with before I start buying any of those. My guess is they will hit wide distribution at brick-n-mortar stores because the Chris Pine movie is a major summer movie release.

Other figures I've debated ordering are Data with his half-flesh face from First Contact, and Picard from the same, in his captain's vest.

I'd wish for Kira in her Bajoran uniform and a figure of Quark. Damar and Garack, Weyoun, The Founder, and Jem Hadar and Cardassian soldier army-builders would be great.

JediTricks
01-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Why is that Kirk WOK 2pack figure SMILING?!? That's just wrong!

Tycho
01-11-2009, 11:39 PM
He's smiling? I better look at that one again. Maybe he's supposed to be crying? His best friend just died. Or maybe he's smiling because he knows he's going to inherit the harp?

I've now watched ST 1-3 over again and will probably watch TVH in a few minutes.

One thing I noticed while looking for figure ideas:

They recycled the EV suits from TMP for WOK: Capt. Terrel wears Spock's red suit, and Chekov wears Jim's white suit. AA/DST could make some revenue at 1/4 the cost by recycling the mold. The suits are essentially the same, only in TMP, Spock connected an emergency thruster pack to his. I might not have noticed more subtle differences though. However, the suits were recycled for the next movie after TMP, and thus at least 2 for 1 mold is possible: Kirk / Chekov and Spock / Terrel. However, AA / DST would love 4 for 1 if they can get away with it. But those would be cool figures, huh?

LTBasker
01-11-2009, 11:51 PM
Why is that Kirk WOK 2pack figure SMILING?!? That's just wrong!

Well, look at Spock's hand gesture- he is obviously telling a raunchy joke. :p I checked the actual figure and he's not smiling, they used the same unmodified head from the wave 1 Kirks which looks like an attempt at being neutrally stern. Or, sternly neutral?

Tycho
01-11-2009, 11:55 PM
Does anyone want the EV / Thruster Suit figures to be made?

I really want Chekov and Terrel to make that scene where Khan puts bugs in their ears!!!

Jayspawn
01-13-2009, 12:00 AM
Saw the standard Kirk, Spock and exclusive Screaming TWOK Kirk at TRU today along with the classic phaser. Not sure who all comes in this 1st wave but its nice to see Trek toys in stores again.

Tycho
01-13-2009, 12:34 AM
I wonder how they got back into Toys R Us?

TRU used to carry odds-and-ends stuff like James Bond figures, Billy the Kid, Movie Monsters like Borris Karloff and Christopher Lee in their old costumes. Amongst those were the Art Asylum Star Trek lines (after the very early 90's when Playmates had rows of pegs for their initial launch of TNG figures).

Trek became less and less fashionable, especially as Star Wars accelerated as a brand.

But it's interesting when today, lines like Indiana Jones couldn't get a foothold, plus we're in a bad economy, yet Star Trek is returning to TRU???

I know the movie is coming, but that's still a few months away and an entirely different toy company from Diamond (Playmates Toys once again).

jedimastergeorge06
01-13-2009, 12:16 PM
I am thinking of starting to collect the newer star trek figures...are they worth it? Do they have good articulation?

Tycho
01-13-2009, 12:29 PM
From ArtAsylum/Diamond?

I like them. They're very detailed. I would like ball joint articulation in the hips with ankle articulation, too. But it's mostly good.

I get:

Enterprise
TOS
TOS Movies
TNG Movies
DS9

from these collections.

As to the newest Playmates stuff? No one's seen it yet that I know of. I think we'll have to wait a few more weeks until Toy Fair.

jedimastergeorge06
01-13-2009, 02:41 PM
Ok, i was thinking of ordering a figure or two from startrek.com...is that a good place to order from...do they do good business or is there a better site to go to or even maybe a cheaper website that i can order from that also has cheap shipping?

Tycho
01-13-2009, 02:48 PM
I'm sorry, I don't know. All my Star Trek orders have been almost exclusively with NewForceComics.com. The owner, Rick, is a fan and all-around cool guy whom I've met at Comic Con and conversed with on ArtAsylum's old Trek fan forums. I've been very satisfied doing business with him and would not hesitate to recommend NewForceComics.

They average about $12 a figure ($24 for 2-packs) and might be a little higher for exclusives, but offer discounts for bent cards they post as "openers." Shipping is pretty standard with most companies I've dealt with. They use UPS or FedEx, and those rates are set by those companies.

I don't think I've been on StarTrek.com for a long time. I'll have to check out what's being offered.

If you want older figures, you also might have to go on eBay (for Enterprise figures, or early TOS or TNG waves for example).

jedimastergeorge06
01-13-2009, 04:42 PM
I went on to toyrocket.com and bought the new art asylum geordi laforge figure from TNG. So i cant wait to get my first star trek figures in years. And if i like what i see when i get it then ill buy more...so far i like what i see from the sites that i have been on...so im sure ill like it when i get it. I really want picard,worf,riker,data and nemesis figures too. I havent been this excited about star trek in so long...:thumbsup:

Lord Malakite
01-13-2009, 07:18 PM
The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Star Trek figures are now entered into Collection Station if anyone collected those. You can find them under 5" Action Figures in the "TMNT (1988-1997)" toyline. Just select "Star Trek" under the Assortment attribute to narrow the field.

Tycho
01-13-2009, 08:08 PM
I went on to toyrocket.com and bought the new art asylum geordi laforge figure from TNG. So i cant wait to get my first star trek figures in years.

So you are first and foremost interested in TNG figures? Which Geordi did you order? I think they make several TNG ones as well as from Nemesis.

I collected the Nemesis ones. Picard and Data were in stores like Tower Records (before they went out of business) and I bought 2 sets. Riker and Troi were a 2-pack and I got them from NewForce. Unfortunately, I would have liked to have been able to purchase a 2nd Riker by himself, but I don't think I got to (or I have an extra Deanna Troi). I bought Worf from NewForce, and as he was sold separately, I think I bought 3 - for Nemesis and to go with my DS9 figures (one with each Dax). The Nemesis figures will be set up facing off with Shinzon and the Reman Viceroy - however, I have an extra Viceroy to fight Riker one-on-one, as I liked that moment in the movie amongst others.

I don't own Beverly or Geordi and I'll have to look into that.

My extra Picard and Data were to be set up fighting the Borg figures that AA made some years ago and I was able to buy in Target. (There's a Klingon, Cardassian, and Hirogen Borg).

However, AA made a Data with a half-flesh face and Picard in his Captain's vest. They are really tempting for me - especially if I can purchase them without having to buy any other figures that I don't need. I love First Contact, and I am also fond of Insurrection and I think it gets a bad rap with fans for really no good reason.

JediTricks
01-14-2009, 04:16 PM
So get this, I buy the friggin' TOS Spock from TRU, and the left elbow is 100% fused, not like "some paint got on there" or "a little of the seam melted", the complete hinge design is solidly part of the receiver element, there's no seam line at all! I'm gonna take him back when I can find one with a working arm, assuming they made one with a working arm. One thing I had forgotten about this line though is that the hips aren't universal-jointed, so the legs are kinda limited. But the figure has it working in other departments.
Well, look at Spock's hand gesture- he is obviously telling a raunchy joke. :p I checked the actual figure and he's not smiling, they used the same unmodified head from the wave 1 Kirks which looks like an attempt at being neutrally stern. Or, sternly neutral?The photo looks smiley from profile, it should look sternly neutral, that'd make sense. Of course, sculpting a new hand so he can touch the glass to Spock's would have made sense too, they dropped that ball... as usual.

I wonder how they got back into Toys R Us?

TRU used to carry odds-and-ends stuff like James Bond figures, Billy the Kid, Movie Monsters like Borris Karloff and Christopher Lee in their old costumes. Amongst those were the Art Asylum Star Trek lines (after the very early 90's when Playmates had rows of pegs for their initial launch of TNG figures).

Trek became less and less fashionable, especially as Star Wars accelerated as a brand.

But it's interesting when today, lines like Indiana Jones couldn't get a foothold, plus we're in a bad economy, yet Star Trek is returning to TRU???

I know the movie is coming, but that's still a few months away and an entirely different toy company from Diamond (Playmates Toys once again).TRU often does this, when a new movie is coming out, they'll try to grab up anything related to make sure they fool customers into buying semi-related stuff. They did it with Speed Racer most recently. My guess is that's what happened here.

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Star Trek figures are now entered into Collection Station if anyone collected those. You can find them under 5" Action Figures in the "TMNT (1988-1997)" toyline. Just select "Star Trek" under the Assortment attribute to narrow the field.Ha, i remember those from back in the day, they were a huge question mark to me as a collector.

jedimastergeorge06
01-14-2009, 06:02 PM
TYCHO,

Yeah i like the TNG figures and the nemesis figures too. I bought the TNG geordi. Ill have to get a little at a time cause of the prices. Unlesss i can find some one to trade with.

jedimastergeorge06
01-14-2009, 06:17 PM
Can anyone tell me if the new figures comes with the holsters for the tricorder and phaser? I thought that ive seen a picture some where of ds9's sisko figure with a holster for the phaser and tricorder. If so then what figures comes with them? That would be cool if they did. :)

Tycho
01-14-2009, 10:00 PM
The old Playmates figures had holsters for their tricorders, and maybe a few for phasers. Most of the phasers had the beams molded into them, so they were "shooting." But the better accessorized figures included both options (2 props). These figures were much more cartoony when compared to AA/DST - and they were smaller.

Now I haven't opened my DS9 Art Assylum figures, but they don't appear to have holsters. I totally love that idea though: good thinking! Too bad I don't believe that's what we got. But I could be wrong. If they make Kira in her Bajoran uniform, I'd love for that one to come with a holster for sure, as it was often part of her look, moreso than many of the Starfleet types.

It'd be sweet if the Klingons had holsters for their knives.

In other news, my "Death of Spock" 2-pack came today. What I really like is that Spock has alternate hands with the radiation suit gloves on!!! That's a nice detail I'd bet we'd have been mad over, had AA overlooked it.

Anyway, I'm a huge fan of the red TOS movie uniforms and like all of these. Kirk has his tunic flap folded open and it looks great. I like his sculpt - which appears to be the same face as the standard issue WOK Kirk.

Tycho
01-15-2009, 01:08 AM
I've been re-reading this entire thread. It covers the entire history of Art Asylum figures since 2002 and the first series of Enterprise figures (Broken Bow).

It's a fun read. We were really excited by the quality of these figures and with each successive wave, got more and more into it.

The excitement was electric when AA started doing a lot of TOS figures and by now, many people here got their wish for TOS crew in the red movie uniforms. Indeed, those are some of my favorite Trek figures.

Good thread.

plasticfetish
01-15-2009, 04:20 AM
So get this, I buy the friggin' TOS Spock from TRU, and the left elbow is 100% fused...That's funny, because I just picked up the same figure a few days ago, and the left shoulder is all loose. Obviously the "left arm" guy at the factory wasn't pulling his/her weight the week they assembled the Spock figures. ;)

I wonder how they got back into Toys R Us?TRU has had an influx of figures from companies like Mezco, Diamond, etc. that are geared more toward "collectors." I think it's their way of trying to capitalize on something that they should have been capitalizing on years ago... at least consciously anyway.

~~~~~~~~~~

And for the record, I saw one of the new 2-packs w/ Kirk and Spock from the films, and I'm actually shocked by how ugly Kirk's head sculpt is. Looks more like Butthead (from Beavis and Butthead) than Shatner.

Tycho
01-15-2009, 04:18 PM
I'm still re-reading this thread when I get the chance (I'm on page 22 now).

I'm amazed how in 6 years (2002-2008) we got most of the figures we always wanted. This usually comprises the TOS, TNG, and DS9 bridge crews, but there's been some cool aliens and bad guys in the mix.

If they ever revisit Enterprise, a Xindi Reptilian would make a really cool figure.

Doing characters from The Dominion (DS9) would rock as well. There are great opportunities for very cool additions to the collection there, too.

Anyway, I'm not sure what started it - perhaps that I'm re-watching my Trek movies and my Wrath of Khan figures have now all arrived - but I'm really back into this Star Trek line and very excited for it.

My 4 things are:

Star Wars (I'm sort of burnt-out but will get excited by Toy Fair I'm sure)
Transformers (I'm not optimistic right now)
Terminator (I don't know what to expect from Playmates T4 collection)

and

Star Trek - and I'm just really into my Trek stuff right now.

In fact, while I was long encouraged by others to bring out of storage a lot of my Star Wars stuff so I'd have it here with me, I am actually rather tempted to bring out my Star Trek stuff instead.

plasticfetish
01-15-2009, 04:36 PM
In fact, while I was long encouraged by others to bring out of storage a lot of my Star Wars stuff so I'd have it here with me, I am actually rather tempted to bring out my Star Trek stuff instead.About 2 weeks ago I was going through all of my Trek totes, just to make sure everything's still in there and not damaged or anything. I miss the hell out of collecting that Playmates line. I was surprised by how many of the larger (10-inch?) figures I had collected up near the end.

I'd given my son almost all of the TOS figures that I had at one point, before he was old enough to play with the Star Wars figures. (Says a lot about the build and play quality of one line vs. another.) I still need to go through and tidy up my pile of TNG figures. Need to sort out weapons, etc.

Without a doubt there will be as much Star Trek stuff displayed as anything else once I get my studio in order... especially with the new film coming.

Tycho
01-15-2009, 05:01 PM
The original plastic Playmates line was ideal as they made the shuttle, bridge playset, engineering, and a runabout for the figures.

I'd wished the line had went on, as the variety of aliens and bad guys was great - and I longed for more.

Not only that, the ships / vehicles and playsets could have continued, with ultimately a Dominion War toy line which would have been awesome.

Voyager could have had a Borg Invasion line to build enthusiasm for its toys.

So I'm very interested to see what Playmates will do for the new Trek movie.

From what I heard, the new figures (Chris Pine's Kirk) will be 3 3/4" (Star Wars figure size), so the ships and playsets could run aplentiful. (Let's hope.)

There are also some other sizes, 12", and 1 or even 2 intermediate sizes. I'm wondering if one will come close to matching the Art Asylum / DST size. I'd bet not, for the simple sake of distinguishing different products.

But Medicom and SideShow do 12" Star Wars, and SideShow and DST are doing 1/4 scale Star Wars, too.

Anyway, I'll buy either what's best accessorized, or what best matches the Trek collectibles I already own. It will be interesting to see what I get (if anything) because I think that while the toys will probably hit stores before the movie, I will wait and see this film first. I'm skeptical about any TOS Trek movie without William Shatner.

Lord Malakite
01-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Ha, i remember those from back in the day, they were a huge question mark to me as a collector.
I don't see how you could question it. :D Playmates Toys was milking the TMNT toy line for all its worth (sqeezing every last dime they could out of it) by using every theme imaginable (cowboys & indians, cavemen & dinosaurs, Universal Studios Monsters, Military, birthday party, Apollo 11 astronauts, etc. Playmates Toys also held the Star Trek toy line (at the time), so it was only a matter time before "Star Trek" themed TMNT toys would come. :p

Tycho
01-15-2009, 07:48 PM
Like Hasbro hasn't done this with Star Wars and Transformers (or Marvel super heroes for that matter).

jedimastergeorge06
01-16-2009, 05:33 PM
If anyone can help im wanting to start a collection of the new figures and i am willing to do a trade if anyone can help. Heres my haves....

HAVES....

GIJOE 25TH ANNIVERSARY....ALL LOOSE AND COMPLETE WITH FILE CARDS

FLAMETHROWER (BLOWTORCH)
DUKE FROM RESOLUTE
SHOCKBLAST (FROM THE COMIC TWO PACK)
DESTRO (FROM THE COMIC TWO PACK)
B.A.T
BARBEQUE
BAZOOKA
COBRA EELS
FLASH
FIREFLY FROM THE GIJOE TROOPER SET FROM TOYSRUS
MUTT AND JUNKYARD
SURPENTOR FROM THE DVD SET
WRAITH
TOMAX
XAMOT
DUSTY FROM THE DVD SET
GIJOE TROOPERS SET FROM TOYSRUS
SHARC SHIP WITH FIGURE (LOOSE)
B.A.T FROM THE DVD SET

AND IF YOU TRADE WITH ME...(ONE STAR TREK FIGURE FROM YOU FOR TWO GIJOE FIGURES FROM ME) ILL THROW IN THE DVD "RISE SURPENTOR RISE" AND A B.A.T FIGURE FOR FREE.
AND IF YOU TRADE WITH ME ...( TWO STAR TREK FIGURES FOR THREE GIJOES) ILL THROW IN THE DVD AND THE TWO B.A.TS THAT I HAVE. SO YOU CAN GET FIVE FIGURES AND A DVD FOR TRADING TWO STAR TREK FIGURES. AND SO ON AND SO FORTH....PLEASE LET ME KNOW...THANKS

And if theres anything else that you are looking for i may have or can get for you....any help is great.

These are the new star trek art asylum figures i am looking for.....

nemesis exclusive geordi laforge
nemesis worf
TNG worf
nemesis picard
TNG picard
TNG riker
TNG wesley crusher
first contact data
TNG data
TNG picard with jacket
nemesis two pack with riker and troi
Sisko
locutus

ILL EVEN BUY THEM ....THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.

Lord Malakite
01-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Like Hasbro hasn't done this with Star Wars and Transformers (or Marvel super heroes for that matter).
I'll just say this, be happy Playmates Toys went with "Star Trek" themed TMNT toys and not with "TMNT" themed Star Trek toys. Could you imagine Picard as Leonardo (wearing only a fake turtle shell, a belt, and a blue face mask/bandana over his eyes) or Kirk as Splinter (carrying a cane and wearing only a tattered red robe with no pants). :D

Beast
01-16-2009, 06:17 PM
I don't see how you could question it. :D Playmates Toys was milking the TMNT toy line for all its worth (sqeezing every last dime they could out of it) by using every theme imaginable (cowboys & indians, cavemen & dinosaurs, Universal Studios Monsters, Military, birthday party, Apollo 11 astronauts, etc. Playmates Toys also held the Star Trek toy line (at the time), so it was only a matter time before "Star Trek" themed TMNT toys would come. :p
Yeah, and they were awesome. :)

LTBasker
01-16-2009, 06:48 PM
I'll just say this, be happy Playmates Toys went with "Star Trek" themed TMNT toys and not with "TMNT" themed Star Trek toys. Could you imagine Picard as Leonardo (wearing only a fake turtle shell, a belt, and a blue face mask/bandana over his eyes) or Kirk as Splinter (carrying a cane and wearing only a tattered red robe with no pants). :D

Pfft...like that would happen. :p

Picard would be Splinter, Riker would be Leonardo, Data would be Donatello, Worf would be Raphael and Wesley would be Michelangelo.

...or...

Bones would be Splinter, Spock would be Leonardo, Scotty would be Donatello, Sulu would be Raphael and Kirk would be Michelangelo.

Tycho
01-17-2009, 12:29 AM
JediMasterGeorge: You should take a good look at that Picard in his captain's vest from First Contact. I don't have him, but I'm really tempted to track down that figure and Mr. Data with real skin grafted on him - also from First Contact.

LTBasker
01-17-2009, 12:56 AM
Unfortunately, they didn't do "skin" versions of the body parts, so he can only be normal FC/INS/NEM Data or post-fight with his metallic parts revealed. Also, he's pretty much impossible to find now. :\

Beast
01-17-2009, 11:39 AM
TNI posted a first look at the figures for the upcoming Trek Movie.

It's a 6" Captain Kirk. Note that they're also doing 3 3/4" and 12".

Can't say I'm impressed. The face sculpt isn't bad. But it looks like Kirk's wearing a big cozy sweater, not a uniform.

jedimastergeorge06
01-17-2009, 03:18 PM
tycho....i do want that picard if its possible to get him and that data you mentioned.. I recieved my first figure....the geordi figure from toyrocket. I checked on the status yesterday and it shipped and got it today...that was fast. I am going to order from toyrocket more often. I got the geordi from TNG for 7.99 plus shipping....so all together is was almost 16 bucks and the likeness is great and the detail is great also. Im glad i started this collection. I cant wait to get more.

jedimastergeorge06
01-17-2009, 03:36 PM
Tycho, i found the first contact picard on toyrocket for 11.99. :thumbsup:
If your interested its there for ya. I know ill get it as soon as i can. I think when i get my tax return check im going to buy a bunch of them from toyrocket unless i find some one to trade with me.

Tycho
01-17-2009, 03:37 PM
EDIT: Thanks for the info on Picard, JediMasterGeorge. I just saw that after I'd posted below.

That's cool JediMasterGeorge. I'm glad you're happy with your purchase. I'm totally into my Trek stuff now and have watched the movies (1-6) TWICE over now. They're really excellent films. I also watched the TNG episodes that Leonard Nimoy guest-starred in (when Spock was on Romulus).

Meanwhile, thanks for posting that picture Beast. Unfortunately, I'm not that impressed with Playmates work. It remains to be seen if that is a good likeness afterall, and it's actually Chris Pine that I'm not impressed with. But that image doesn't suggest Captain Kirk to me, but rather just a guy in the gold uniform. I don't like the netted / sweater look to the shirt, either. In fact, when I first looked at it, I thought it was made from Legos. Hehehe.

So there will be:

12" - I'm not likely to buy these. I might want to locate Kirk and Spock in their red movie uniforms in 12". I'm not sure if ArtAsylum, Playmates, Sideshow, whomever, ever made these. But in 12", I think Kirk and Spock would be the first figures I'd ever want - but in their red uniforms. I don't really know if there are other Star Trek characters that I'd really want in the 12" size.

6" - well it all depends upon whether these figures were deliberately scaled to match the ArtAsylum / Diamond size of figures. Maybe Playmates did that so people wouldn't boycott their products if they'd been collecting AA/DST. I will have to look at the figures and then make my decision. If the Romulan bad guy, Nero, has a cool figure in this size, I might be tempted. It depends upon how complete the line is. The other thing about 6" is that it might be closer to the 5 3/4" size of figures that Playmates originally did for Star Trek when I first started collecting their figures. Aren't the AA figures closer to 7" anyway? If this is a continuation of the 5 3/4" line from Playmates' old days, I might also be very interested. You know: they could also recycle the Galileo shuttlecraft for the figures then.

3 3/4" - if this is really the size, then it is surely a chance to compete with Star Wars and GI Joe with that scale and size. I only hope that means we'll get more than the bridge and transporter playsets for the figures. I already have a Galileo shuttle, but there could be so much more for Playmates to make that this could be an awesome line to get figures with full-size accessories for their line for awesome battle dioramas. Then I'm definitely interested. However, I'm also concerned with how good the sculpts are going to be on figures this size. I think Hasbro does pretty good with Star Wars. I hope Playmates hires equally talented people.

jedimastergeorge06
01-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Your welcome tycho ...no problem. The geordi figure seems so detailed that i looked at his visor and if you look closely you can see his white eyes and it looks like his visor comes off but then you can see that its glued on. so im not going to mess it up. But its ok though. Im just going to have to get use to the difference in size from the gijoe to the 7 inch star trek figure but it will grow on me im sure.

Tycho
01-17-2009, 05:07 PM
Since we were talking about TNG movie figures, I wonder if DST will make:

Ru'Afo
his friend and right hand (Gal'tin I think)
the other 3 enslaved species (3 more figures)
Picard civilian attire
Worf civilian attire
Data civilian attire
Beverly civilian attire
Deanna civilian attire
Anij (spelling - Donna Murphy's character)

a Reman Soldier
a Reman scientist / doctor
Dina Meyer's Romulan commander character
a Romulan Soldier

Picard EV Suit
Worf EV suit
Lt. Hawk EV suit
Zephrame Cochrane
Lilly
Picard as Dixon Hill in tuxedo with tommy gun
Dix's secretary

I'd list the possible Generations figures, but I don't really want them - so what's the point? (for me anyway)

I suppose we could also list the TNG crew in their dress uniforms (white movie style) but I'm not really interested in those either.

I'd rather have the Argo dune buggy jeep thing that Picard, Data, and Worf rode in, and the Reman Scorpion Fighter vehicle made for the figures! That'll probably never happen with AA/DST, but I can dream.

jedimastergeorge06
01-17-2009, 05:36 PM
tycho, i found the picture that i was talking about where the ds9s figures has holsters for their phasers and tricorders..heres the link... http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=12792&page=105 :thumbsup:
just scroll down to the first forum message and you will see the pictures.It looks pretty authentic and i found it on here. Its from art asylums forums. so i guess maybe some one custom made them and if so then i want them to make that for me.

Tycho
01-17-2009, 07:17 PM
Whooops! You linked back to this page.

BTW, I ordered a First Contact Picard and I had a friend give me a lead on where I could get a FC Data.

I don't normally go back and get older figures I had previously decided to pass on, but these are very cool. Plus the Borg Queen is coming out from AA/DST. She'll display nicely with this Picard and Data.

jedimastergeorge06
01-18-2009, 02:22 PM
Well its a sirstevesguide.com page and if you scroll down it shows three pictures and its the third picture.

jedimastergeorge06
01-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Heres the picture....http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17476&d=1212348928 (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17476&d=1212348928)

Tycho
01-19-2009, 01:08 AM
That's a sweet picture. I have all those AA figures but I've never opened them yet.

Is that the Playmates Defiant behind them? That ship looks sweet. I love the Defiant. It's my favorite Star Trek ship by a longshot!

JediTricks
01-19-2009, 08:32 PM
That's funny, because I just picked up the same figure a few days ago, and the left shoulder is all loose. Obviously the "left arm" guy at the factory wasn't pulling his/her weight the week they assembled the Spock figures. ;)Come to think of it, the left shoulder on mine is also pretty loose. Weak! DST has not done well for this line, they need to hire a new left arm guy.

And for the record, I saw one of the new 2-packs w/ Kirk and Spock from the films, and I'm actually shocked by how ugly Kirk's head sculpt is. Looks more like Butthead (from Beavis and Butthead) than Shatner.It's the hair, right? I totally see that! :D

Looking at my Playmates figures, I'm starting to really notice how their sculpting was very cartoonish, but it nailed the key features of that actor - the exact opposite of Hasbro lately.

I don't see how you could question it. :D Playmates Toys was milking the TMNT toy line for all its worth (sqeezing every last dime they could out of it) by using every theme imaginable (cowboys & indians, cavemen & dinosaurs, Universal Studios Monsters, Military, birthday party, Apollo 11 astronauts, etc. Playmates Toys also held the Star Trek toy line (at the time), so it was only a matter time before "Star Trek" themed TMNT toys would come. :pOh, I knew the "why", just not the "why bother"? The McCoy one I still remember most, for some reason, I think due to a facial expression or something.

I'll just say this, be happy Playmates Toys went with "Star Trek" themed TMNT toys and not with "TMNT" themed Star Trek toys. Could you imagine Picard as Leonardo (wearing only a fake turtle shell, a belt, and a blue face mask/bandana over his eyes) or Kirk as Splinter (carrying a cane and wearing only a tattered red robe with no pants). :DAwesome!

TNI posted a first look at the figures for the upcoming Trek Movie.

It's a 6" Captain Kirk. Note that they're also doing 3 3/4" and 12".

Can't say I'm impressed. The face sculpt isn't bad. But it looks like Kirk's wearing a big cozy sweater, not a uniform.Geez, fugly much? That likeness is laughable, it reminds me of Mego's greatest hits. And that outfit sucks from top to bottom. You nailed it on the sweater comment, the belt only worsens it.

Hey look, the new phaser. Hey look, it sucks.

plasticfetish
01-20-2009, 01:42 AM
Come to think of it, the left shoulder on mine is also pretty loose. Weak! DST has not done well for this line, they need to hire a new left arm guy.Seriously... because what's the pose you're going to leave Spock in when he's up on the shelf? And it doesn't help if his arm keeps falling down.

It's the hair, right? I totally see that! :DYeah, it's the hair. (But I don't envy anyone that has to sculpt Shatner's wig.) I'm not a fan of that facial sculpt either though.

Looking at my Playmates figures, I'm starting to really notice how their sculpting was very cartoonish, but it nailed the key features of that actor - the exact opposite of Hasbro lately.Cartoonish, but ultimately a good "caricature," which is just fine if you do it right, and that's what you're shooting for. With very few exceptions, I have nothing but love for the Playmates stuff.

But wait! Did you make a crack about Mego's Kirk sculpt? I think the Mego Kirk (http://www.megomuseum.com/megolibrary/articles/images/captainkirk.jpg) is probably one of the best likenesses out there.

Tycho
01-20-2009, 01:47 AM
You know what was funny? SideShow's Premium Format (read: really expensive) Kirk looks nothing like him.

They did 3 PF figures that I know of: Kirk, Spock, Seven of Nine.

Kirk is the worst. Seven looks pretty good actually. They brag that they even sculpted the outline of Jerry Ryan's underwear onto the figure. :rolleyes:

plasticfetish
01-20-2009, 05:09 AM
Agreed, Kirk was the worst. Seven of Nine was okay, but not awesome really. (Not $250 worth of awesome.) She looked kind of corpse-like I think... but maybe that's what they were going for.

I honestly thought about the Spock figure though. I think they did a great job with that.

Jayspawn
01-21-2009, 10:23 AM
I think the Kirk PF likeness is decent. They got his hair right. I know Sideshow botched his hair on the Trek minibusts they did some years ago. Shame because they're all spectacular except for Kirk. Shame they only needed to do 3 more characters to finish the bridge crew. We got Captain Koloth though!

Beast
01-21-2009, 03:39 PM
Here's our first real picture of the Star Trek movie's 3 3/4" line.

Yeah, can't say these appeal to me at all. Clearly only Hasbro does good 3 3/4".

Star Trek Movie 3 3/4-Inch Action Figures
The new Star Trek movie has huge buzz, and why not...it's in the talented hands of J.J. Abrams.

Figures include:

Kirk
Sulu
Prime Spock
Uhura
Pike
Cadet McCoy
Nero
Cadet Chekov
Spock
Scotty

To complement your new immersion in everything Trek, these life-like, fully-articulated, highly detailed 3-3/4" figures come with accessories including phasers, communicators, and bases. Blister card packaging.
In Shops: APRIL 2009 Item Code: FEB094855 SRP: $7.99

LTBasker
01-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Yeah, those look horrible. Galoob's 3 3/4" Trek line easily beats those.

I gotta say though, the headsculpts are leagues ahead of the usual Hasbro headsculpt, but the rest of the figure is completely horrible. The only one that is decent is old Spock, but more in an appearance to a TOS-movie Sarek rather than Spock. :p

jedimastergeorge06
01-21-2009, 04:32 PM
I dont know about the new 3 3/4 inch figures....ill have to see them in person when they ship. I just wonder if walmart will carry these or will be just toys r us and target. I just cant wait to see the new bridge playset.

Tycho
01-21-2009, 09:10 PM
I like them actually. But I'd like to see them closer, in person.

Snowtrooper
01-21-2009, 10:05 PM
I know this is off the topic at hand on this thread, but I just recently bought some Diamond Select Star Trek figures and props.

I got:

TMP Kirk & Spock 2pk
TWOK Kirk-Double Cross
TWOK Cpt. Terrell
TWOK Khan-SDCC Exclusive burnt version
TOS Phaser & Communicator

I'm pretty impressed by them. Khan, Terrell, & Spock's likenesses are spot on. Kirk's likeness is maybe a little off, but its so little its not worth complaining about. The articulation is nice They do a really good job of hiding the shoulder joints. The paint jobs are done very well too. No cross eyes or bug eyes to be found at all. At $14 apiece, they're really a much better value than SW figures.

I still plan on trying get the other WOK figures and the Kruge Maltz 2pk. Some of the exclusives might be hard to get.

Blue2th
01-21-2009, 10:20 PM
After the new movie, I'd like to see either Playmates or Art Asylum do some really detailed 3 3/4 old Star Trek movie figures.
I would pay extra for those. With the detail of the 6" but smaller.

Seems to me that the smaller figures are easier to make accessories, play sets, and small ships for.
With the larger size alot of that has gone away with the exception of a few captain's chairs and "Enterprise" bridge set not completed.

This has been done before but not to today's standards of sculpting and detail in 3 3/4 size.

I'd most like updated versions of WOK figures first but even if they started with the first movie with Ilia Probe and Spock in space suit w/ jet pack. All the bridge crew in the funky 70's uniforms. They could mix it up much like Hasbro does in each wave with a few figures from different eras.

Tycho
01-22-2009, 01:44 AM
Snowtrooper, those are some of the best figures ever made for Star Trek and are favorites in my own collection, too. I have all my WOK figures out on display right now.

Blue2th - I've longed to see playsets and vehicles for Star Trek figures like you've suggested. That'd be too cool! For me, it would be extra special if they were made for DS9.

LTBasker
01-22-2009, 02:15 AM
Pretty much all the stuff is revealed now: http://www.wizarduniverse.com/startrekmovie.html

The communicator and tricorder are interesting, and the phaser looks like the ST3 phaser combined with the Galaxy Quest blaster.

The transporter is pretty cool, and I want to say the bridge is too but it's just so...strange. It has so much of a stark contrast from the retro-red and the white surroundings. Though, the bridge is interesting in that you buy one main set and then you finish it by buying figures with other pieces like console sections.

Looks like both the 3 3/4" line and 6" lines will have one standard body for all Starfleet males. For the 3 3/4" it's not so bad, even though only a couple look decent with it. But the 6" figures and their sweaters...not good at all.

For some reason everything has a feel as though it belongs in a Power Rangers toyline, I miss the good ol' Playmates days.

Tycho
01-22-2009, 02:49 AM
I'm loving this stuff. I'm almost definitely getting the bridge playset and transporter set, and all the 3 3/4" figures to go with them.

I might buy the 6" if they too go well with Trek figures I already have.

And I might buy the 12"!

I'm so ready for Star Trek. This is good news considering how dismayed I am that this movie will not feature William Shatner.

I got my First Contact Captain Picard in the mail today, btw. He is awesome. (the Captain's vest one by ArtAsylum / Diamond)

jedimastergeorge06
01-22-2009, 10:26 AM
tycho,

Thats great to hear. Is he well detailed and everything? Ive seen picture on the net of picard and his face looks bad so i was hoping he didnt look so bad in person. And as far as the new 3 inch and 6 inch figures go for the new movie and the playsets....im going to buying those...they look pretty cool hopfuly they look better in person. I know when theres a movie that is coming out that toysrus and maybe walmart some times brings the toys out early...how early do you think the star trek toys will come out? It would be cool if they came out earlier than april.

Tycho
01-22-2009, 01:21 PM
The movie's in May right? I don't think we'll see them earlier than April, but you never know. I am not concerned, confident that I'll have them by May. I still might wait until I see the movie before I buy them, but I don't think I have to. The toys look cool and they're recognizeable as Star Trek, thus I like them for the novelty of it all in itself.

I don't think the Picard head looks bad. I didn't open him, but I think I will - when Data comes, and I'll have to get my Borg out of storage I guess. (Don't know as I really may prefer to display Deep Space Nine when I get Kira, O'Brien, Bashir, and General Martok - my WOK fascination might pass as I watch more and more DS9 again. Might. WOK is really good and I love that crew!)

Picard seems to have a phaser rifle and some computer and PADD accessories. I can't tell, but I hope he also has a hand-phaser in there, but he might not have been wearing his vest when he used one. I can't remember. The Captain, Worf, and Hawk in their space suits might also be cool figures. s made several or all of those back in the day. I didn't buy them though because FC products were not a consistant size with the other Trek figures I was collecting. I sort of boycotted that size (except for DS9 stuff) and then switched sizes when AA was the only way I could buy Enterprise figures of Archer et. all.

[EDIT] - they should make a communicator replica into a working cell phone that you can connect with Verizon, Sprint, Nextel or somebody. They eventually probably will if Star Trek re-emerges really strongly in American pop-culture.

Tycho
01-22-2009, 03:10 PM
Big Time Cool Correction: First Contact Picard does indeed have a hand phaser. It was on the lower right hand side of his package and not so noticeable as his PADD, tricorder, and phaser rifle. HOWEVER, the single-coolest accessory I've ever seen come with a Trek figure is included with Picard: THE BORG QUEEN'S SKULL AND ROBOTIC SPINAL COLUMN! (That Picard snaps to terminate her at the end of First Contact!) This is seriously cool and I think I'm going to have to open Picard up and pose him finishing Her Collective Bichiness once and...uh... (uh...until Voyager and Janeway takes her on).

jedimastergeorge06
01-22-2009, 08:27 PM
Tycho, would be able to show pictures once you open him up?

Tycho
01-23-2009, 12:05 AM
I suppose. I have a digital camera. I might open him sooner than later, but if I'm getting my Data figure (to go with Picard) from Australia, as might be the case (I did order, but I haven't gotten my confirmation yet), it might take a while to receive this other figure. And I kind of want to open Picard and Data together because the only point in buying those was to display them together. But it would be real cool to display Picard with his hands around the Queen's spinal column preparing to snap her neck!

JediTricks
01-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Pretty much all the stuff is revealed now: http://www.wizarduniverse.com/startrekmovie.html

The communicator and tricorder are interesting, and the phaser looks like the ST3 phaser combined with the Galaxy Quest blaster.

The transporter is pretty cool, and I want to say the bridge is too but it's just so...strange. It has so much of a stark contrast from the retro-red and the white surroundings. Though, the bridge is interesting in that you buy one main set and then you finish it by buying figures with other pieces like console sections.

Looks like both the 3 3/4" line and 6" lines will have one standard body for all Starfleet males. For the 3 3/4" it's not so bad, even though only a couple look decent with it. But the 6" figures and their sweaters...not good at all.

For some reason everything has a feel as though it belongs in a Power Rangers toyline, I miss the good ol' Playmates days.The link doesn't work anymore. I missed it. These them?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zathrasknowz/3217017613/in/photostream/
I don't like that phaser, it's just a lot of shapes tossed together, lots of greebles. The tricorder looks decent, but not era-accurate, and why the hell would they write "tricorder" on it?!? I'll definitely buy it, but scrape that sticker off (it's Playmates, they don't have high quality tampos so it's gonna be a sticker for sure). Didn't realize the communicator was a video phone, still lame.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/gallery/2008/l090122_startrek/flash.htm?gid=864&aid=4083

Here are the individual files:
http://i.usatoday.net/life/gallery/2009/l090122_startrek/startrek-transporter.jpg
http://i.usatoday.net/life/gallery/2009/l090122_startrek/startrek-bridge.jpg
http://i.usatoday.net/life/gallery/2009/l090122_startrek/startrek-communicator.jpg
http://i.usatoday.net/life/gallery/2009/l090122_startrek/startrek-ship.jpg

I hate that bridge design, it's an ugly flat toy for one thing, and there's no fun to be had in the layout. The stations look boring, and those clear things are dippy. The captain's chair looks minimalistic. To me, the toy looks lousy and the set design looks like it wants to be the Nemesis bridge in color and shape.

The figures seem to have small heads and very broad chests, not a good combo.

movie Barbies:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39839
http://trekmovie.com/2008/12/29/first-look-at-new-star-trek-movie-barbie-figures/

Darth Duranium
01-23-2009, 04:07 PM
Great pics, JT.

Gotta say that the bridge reminds me more of Sulu's Excelsior bridge than the 1701-E's... I actually like it but I too am wondering what the clear display panels are for. I guess we'll see in May.

I really like the art deco Enterprise ship... just needs a few Tiffany lamps, chrome pedestal ashtrays, and a Rolls-Royce hood ornament to finish it off.

I gotta say that the warp nacelles remind me of karaoke machine microphones... maybe Shatner can do a cameo as a lounge singer in the film.

Lucy... in the... SKY!!!... with... diamonds.....

BTW, I got my Johnny Lightning Wave 6 last week... the Excalibur's great (fixed the NCC font since the Defiant), the Romulan D-7 Battlecruiser's better than expected (the bird of prey design's on the bottom of the hull), the Borg cube looks good (even with marmalade damage and beams), and the Yamato's sufficiently different to the Enterprise Ds that I'm happy (no nacho dip!).

All in all, not bad. I hope JL comes out with some new molds... they've flogged these to death!

LTBasker
01-23-2009, 06:41 PM
If anyone is wanting Gowron but doesn't want to get the Worf that will be accompanying him in the upcoming 2-pack, NewForceComics has a preorder for an exclusively bagged version of Gowron. So far it should be expected to be the exact same as the one in the 2-pack, but they've requested an exclusive accessory that is pending approval by DST. There will be less than 1,000 available, though.

Also, the Kruge and Maltz 2-pack has unfortunately been canceled.

The link doesn't work anymore. I missed it. These them?[/URL]

Yup, same pictures. The communicator one with the UFP logo is new, though.

JediTricks
01-23-2009, 06:50 PM
I don't even get who Playmates and Paramount think they're marketing this line to. I read the comments from them, they think they're gonna get kids into this line, but those toys don't say kids to me, except the role-play stuff which is universal for Trekkies of all ages.

Tycho
01-24-2009, 02:41 AM
I like the bridge toy just for being what it is - but I agree the set-up is not that impressive and the toy is rather flat. The TNG Bridge Playset was very solid. This is more like a playmat that you stand the pieces on. Still, I might buy.

I don't know what the clear things are. The doors onto the bridge are transparent? Maybe for just the toy? But why? And why would there be work stations in the hallways outside the bridge then? The clear things must be something else, then. But what?

The Barbies... well, why not? I won't be buying those however.

The news on buying Gowron by himself is cool. However, I wonder if they'll let you buy Dukat by himself? I'm getting Kira in her SF uniform, and I really want her in her Bajoran uniform, so I guess I will collect both uniform sets and don't really need to cancel by Gowron order that will come with Worf.

It really sucks that Kruuge and Malz were cancelled. I hope that is a mistake. Maybe there were not enough orders to justify production? That would suck. I want figures from all TOS movies 2-6! While I doubt the ST4 Kirk and Spock will also be cancelled, this could be signaling trouble even for them. I so hope it's not.

Anyway, to market to KIDS, there needs to be fighter craft and ships that the figures go into, weapons they can use, and so forth. The preview to the movie looks as if it might provide the inspiration for that, but you don't know if those sequences are only as long as what was shown in the trailer, or if they're extended. And will army-builder SF and badguy alien action figures be offered in subsequent waves to keep the play-pattern stimulating?

Though I gather a few here disliked it, Star Trek: Nemesis provided the opportunity for a Star Wars-like toyline and play-pattern.

LTBasker
01-24-2009, 03:16 AM
I like the bridge toy just for being what it is - but I agree the set-up is not that impressive and the toy is rather flat. The TNG Bridge Playset was very solid. This is more like a playmat that you stand the pieces on. Still, I might buy.

I don't know what the clear things are. The doors onto the bridge are transparent? Maybe for just the toy? But why? And why would there be work stations in the hallways outside the bridge then? The clear things must be something else, then. But what?

The clear windows are apparently system displays, you can see alot more detail here:

http://img.trekmovie.com/images/merchandise/pmst09/BridgePlaysetCompressed.jpg

One thing to definitely note from this bridge is how insanely larger it is than the TOS bridge, or even the TOS-movie bridges. I'm guessing the system displays that have gray bulky bases will have lights in them.

The news on buying Gowron by himself is cool. However, I wonder if they'll let you buy Dukat by himself? I'm getting Kira in her SF uniform, and I really want her in her Bajoran uniform, so I guess I will collect both uniform sets and don't really need to cancel by Gowron order that will come with Worf.

Not sure, but you could always email Rick and ask him if he plans on attempting to get some exclusive Dukats. I know quite a few people would like the chance to get him to customize into other Cardassians...

It really sucks that Kruuge and Malz were cancelled. I hope that is a mistake. Maybe there were not enough orders to justify production? That would suck. I want figures from all TOS movies 2-6! While I doubt the ST4 Kirk and Spock will also be cancelled, this could be signaling trouble even for them. I so hope it's not.

So far no reason has been mentioned as to why it's been canceled, but hopefully one will be revealed soon. I was really, really looking forward to that. I mean, not only is it two Klingons and a targ, but it's Christopher Lloyd and John Larroquette as Klingons!

Tycho
01-24-2009, 03:26 AM
I want them to make generic Cardassian soldiers in light of the Dominion War - maybe with a second head included (so they're not clones) or with a running change like Hasbro is doing with the Hoth Rebel Soldier. Of course, with Diamond Star Trek, this is even less likely to happen.

But I might as well post what I want right down to a super-articulated Porthos, the captain's dog figure from Enterprise.

jedimastergeorge06
01-25-2009, 04:50 PM
Whos going to buy the new star trek figures from the new movie? Theres the 33/4 inch figures and the 6 inch figures. From the pictures that ive seen the paint jobs look kinda bad especaily the faces on both 33/4s inch and the 6 inch. The part that i like though is the holsters. Thats going to be the best part for me when i get them. And i hope that the paint jobs gets better...kinda like the indiana jones figures. They started out horrible but then later got alot better. So i guess we will see on april 19th. And as far as the two playsets go ill probably get those but ill have to see them in person and or at toyfair next month. Im just not sure what to do yet when it comes to the figures....i could put money back when i get my income tax check for all the figures or some of the figures and the playsets or put money back and get the 6 inch or get the 33/4 inch figures. Its a little confusing for me. Cause i know that when they come out ill see them in the store and i wont have the money on me to get what i want cause i didnt put the money back. Thats how i am i guess. Or i can preorder online for them and not worry about getting them in the stores all together. What about every one else? What do you guys think? Anyone making plans for them yet?

Tycho
01-26-2009, 12:58 AM
I might wait until I see the movie first. By then, as JediMasterGeorge pointed out, the quality control might be a little better than with the early batches they'll be trying to rush out.

But I'm really tempted. I also want to see if any of the figures are in the same scale with other Star Trek lines I've collected - including Playmates figures from the past.

JediTricks
01-26-2009, 02:47 AM
I like the bridge toy just for being what it is - but I agree the set-up is not that impressive and the toy is rather flat. The TNG Bridge Playset was very solid. This is more like a playmat that you stand the pieces on. Still, I might buy.Yeah, the only part that has any dimensionality is the center, and instead of being sunken, they raised it. I love the Playmates TNG bridge, I have it right next to the BMF (that's been its home for at least a decade). The great thing about the TNG bridge toy is that it's really the bridge, the layout is the same, the features are the same, the doors work like on the show, there's lights and sounds, and it has walls! The walls are super important, several of them are even intentionally collapsible so you can get into play better, like a movie set.

I don't know what the clear things are. The doors onto the bridge are transparent? Maybe for just the toy? But why? And why would there be work stations in the hallways outside the bridge then? The clear things must be something else, then. But what?My guess is they're information displays, but they're really just set dressing.

It really sucks that Kruuge and Malz were cancelled. I hope that is a mistake. Maybe there were not enough orders to justify production? That would suck. I want figures from all TOS movies 2-6! While I doubt the ST4 Kirk and Spock will also be cancelled, this could be signaling trouble even for them. I so hope it's not.I suspect this was the wrong time to offer them, but my best guess would be likeness issues, either they didn't get Christopher Lloyd's or John Larroquette's likeness rights, or their approvals on the sculpts.

Though I gather a few here disliked it, Star Trek: Nemesis provided the opportunity for a Star Wars-like toyline and play-pattern.Funny, because the toy line did horribly at market, as did the Scorpion model kit (which I own). The problem is not many people liked this movie, and not many kids saw or even cared about seeing it.

The clear windows are apparently system displays, you can see alot more detail here:

http://img.trekmovie.com/images/merchandise/pmst09/BridgePlaysetCompressed.jpg

One thing to definitely note from this bridge is how insanely larger it is than the TOS bridge, or even the TOS-movie bridges. I'm guessing the system displays that have gray bulky bases will have lights in them.Thanks for the link. Man, does that look like a lot of simple, hollow plastic on that toy.

I do get the impression that this bridge toy makes the real thing look bigger than the TOS one, but I'm not sure it's really as significantly larger as you're suggesting, it's just that without the walls it seems limitless, and the use of space is wholly different. I'd guess it's gonna be no more than 20% bigger than the movie set.

I was really, really looking forward to that. I mean, not only is it two Klingons and a targ, but it's Christopher Lloyd and John Larroquette as Klingons!Kruge's pet is not actually a targ, but a Klingon monster-dog, which has more lizard-like features.

jedimastergeorge06
01-26-2009, 05:47 PM
Does any body know how to make the holsters for the 7 inch star trek figures? For the phaser atleast. I was thinking of either using cardboard and black tape or just using black tape alone. Any ideas or suggestions.

LTBasker
01-26-2009, 06:38 PM
Kruge's pet is not actually a targ, but a Klingon monster-dog, which has more lizard-like features.

Oh, well...still, much more interesting accessory than the usual bat'leth.

Does any body know how to make the holsters for the 7 inch star trek figures? For the phaser atleast. I was thinking of either using cardboard and black tape or just using black tape alone. Any ideas or suggestions.

I would suggest using sculpey. That would probably be the easiest route to make a large amount of them in one sitting, and they would likely hold up better over time.

jedimastergeorge06
01-26-2009, 06:55 PM
ok, whats sculpey?

LTBasker
01-27-2009, 12:19 AM
Sculpey is basically like clay, but...easier to manage and cure, I believe. I've never really worked with it, but it's used very frequently by customizers.

There is alot of helpful info here: http://www.ffurg.com/sculpting/clays.htm

A member on a different board got a picture of the new electronic command chair Kirk, though unfortunately they haven't said much about it. At the very least, it noticeably has much, much better packaging than the first command chair Kirk.

plasticfetish
01-27-2009, 01:58 AM
A member on a different board got a picture of the new electronic command chair KirkThat's the Kirk I'm holding out for. I want that chair.

I saw the regular carded versions again today, and don't really hate the TOS Kirk. The Wrath of Khan "screaming" version at TRU (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3191430) on the other hand... is both the worst and funniest thing I've ever seen.

Tycho
01-27-2009, 03:37 AM
I was just reflecting on how cool it is that there are a handful of us who are hardcore into Star Trek collecting.

It will make the new movie release and merchandising a lot of fun to discuss.

jedimastergeorge06
01-27-2009, 11:29 AM
I know what you mean tycho...its nice to know that there are other collectors to talk to about star trek. I try to talk to my girlfriend about it and she rolls her eyes tells me to stop lol....but yeah its great to be excited about star trek again.

Darth Duranium
01-27-2009, 02:29 PM
Just found these sketches on eBay which purport to be from Rick Sternbach's private sketch collection... kinda kewl.

Tycho
01-27-2009, 07:34 PM
Thanks for sharing Darth Titanium.

JediMasterGeorge: it really sucks how ideally your girlfriend is supposed to be your best friend but then they never let you enjoy what YOU are passionate about with them (besides being passionate about your girl I'd hope). It's like they're jealous of anything else you pay attention to. It must be something like that I think. I should know. I date "B'Ellana Torres." (Almost exactly the same personality type, and similar features, exceot for the Klingon ones of course).

And you wonder why the divorce rate is so high...

jedimastergeorge06
01-27-2009, 08:11 PM
All of that is true. She wants an engagement ring and she gets mad when i buy myself "toys". And I tell her that they are more collectible than toys...i guess she thinks its pointless to buy the star trek figures or anything else like that if there going to display on my shelf. But the engagment ring is just going to sit on her finger. So in all honesty...whats the difference. They both make people happy. Thats the whole point. Besides the ring costs a heck alot more than the figures. Plus its my money. :D

Im planning on spending over 200 bucks with my incom tax check on the star trek 7 inch figures and she is having a cow.

Tycho
01-28-2009, 12:53 PM
Engagement rings / wedding rings are used by girls as bragging rights. The pricier the piece, the more they can show off that "someone loves them" or "that they control someone - who sold themselves into their enslavement."

For one thing: if you owe a lot of money on a girl's ring, you yourself are limited and you can't afford to go out and do things where you could meet other women, or afford an escort service girl, hooker, or whatever's your thing (as an alternative to the girl you already have). Meanwhile, she has insurance, because it's her ring and she can sell it or something, should she (or you) decide to discard the relationship. On the other hand, if you can afford to pay for the ring, and pay to keep her happy (entertained, well-clothed, perhaps comfortably sheltered if you are already living together), she has tested the success of her plan to live happily ever-after, according to HER desires.

Oh, before you think I've taken any new angle on the subject matter, Sting recorded "Wrapped Around Your Finger" back in the 80's. My theories / beliefs are nothing new. And Sting is just one example.

Now what does this have to do with Star Trek figures? It is one more thing that you appreciate, and she doesn't, that she might take away from you as part of her "cost" for being in your relationship. This is horrible to me. Let's say you have to spend every last free dime to afford a rock on her finger. Ideally, a real best-friend, loving partner would at least find out that her spending only $30 or so for Spock and Kirk, or Picard and Data (she should take the few seconds required to learn your preference) in a internet mail-order would make you happy. And when you proudly display it, she will remember that you are appreciating HER gift to you. Afterall, you perhaps just spent thousands on her. But how often does that happen?

I admit that it's hard buying collectibles for us guys who are into this. We go out to the stores frequently, and pick up the latest, often as soon as it's available. But funny how a lot of us online know who has what and who is still looking for what (for our collections). It is out-and-out-wrong that someone who purports to want to be your best-friend, life-partner, does not know something this simple. And on top of it, we get shy, embarassed, and feel awkward sharing it with our significant other.

So why are we interested in this person anyway? Sex. I mean literally, if not for physical attraction which breeds the illusion of affection, what do we need this other person for when we already have friends who share more of our interests? Apply Vulcan logic and this will all seem very rationale.

However, there's no denying Pon Far. But what should one give up for that? Think about it: you're paying for the rock, then even her standard of living except in the less often situation where your girl brings in more income than you. Otherwise, she can sue you for payments even after you divorce, or she gets income even after you DIE! And you already know what paying for sex amounts to. So the moral of the story is never pay too much.

Blue2th
01-28-2009, 02:30 PM
These women wonder why they can't find a "good man" they want to own them with undivided devotion.
So what if you're a kid and you still want to play with toys.
How about she buys you an engagement ring?
They wonder why guys turn gay, or are perpetual batchelors...they need friends too. Not just controlling interest in your interests.

Tycho
01-28-2009, 03:20 PM
Incidentally, in case JediMasterGeorge wants Star Trek movie discussion,

this thread in the movies section of SirSteves contains the new Trek movie discussion (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34361) and by hitting the "last page" you can jump right into it. At the moment, I brought up First Contact, Insurrection, and Nemesis. And the page before has in invisible text (you highlight to read) spoilers concerning the next Kirk & Spock film due out in theaters this May.

Now back to wives, girlfriends, and action figures - or whatever we were discussing.

And as to Blue2th's comments, I fully agree. A war rages between the sexes and in a majority of the relationships I am familiar with, it is always the same story.

jedimastergeorge06
01-28-2009, 04:36 PM
I see what your saying tycho, its all about control. How far they can push us. How far we are willing to go to make them happy or how much we can spend on them. I once told this girl that i worked with and i was kinda kidding about but kinda now kidding...we were talking about how women are controling and such and i told them that im going to tell god that i want my ribb back. Cause god took a ribb out of us to create a female. And they said that god created us and saw what happend so he decided that he could do better and created a female. Of couse i laughed cause they have a great imagaination. But your also right when you said basicly why else would we need a girlfriend or wife...sex....thats it other wise life would be different. Perhaps if woman didnt exist maybe we could have created a real life holodeck and created any kind of female we want....." sure honey...you can spend any amount of money you want on your star trek or star wars collection...buy what you want cause that makes you happy and whatever makes you happy makes me happy" lol...man that would be great.:thumbsup:

By the way..im only spending 600 bucks on her ring cause my step mom ownes a jewerly store.

plasticfetish
01-28-2009, 05:01 PM
So why are we interested in this person anyway? Sex. I mean literally, if not for physical attraction which breeds the illusion of affection, what do we need this other person for when we already have friends who share more of our interests? Apply Vulcan logic and this will all seem very rationale.Not to get too far off topic, but...

Sex is only part... a great part, but only part of what makes a relationship work. Why do we get married? It's a ritual that confirms the bond between two people, and nothing more. A long term relationship can work without marriage, and the more I read your posts to do with the subject Tycho, the more I'm convinced that it's not the idea of "marriage" that bothers you, but rather "commitment" and "sharing." You have a very "only child" attitude about the whole thing... and you're obviously most unwilling to come to terms with the fact that once you've entered into a partnership with someone, you'll be required to give up some of the things that you hold dear.

But again, and getting back on topic, that's not necessarily true. This August will mark the 20th year that I've spent with my wife. Very early on I remember a situation where we were sitting around watching TV, and I got all excited because Star Trek (TOS) was on. She tells me, "Ehhh, I've never watched the show. I'm not into it." and suddenly I'm thinking, "Ouch! That's a big problem." I could let a lot of things slide, and frankly she's not a huge Star Wars fan either, but Star Trek is something entirely different.

So... I forced her to watch this day long marathon with me, and after just one or two episodes, she "got it." She's been a fan of the show ever since, loving it for the campy, corn-ball, bundle of Sci-Fi brilliance that it is. As a matter of fact, it was my wife (then girlfriend) that got us into watching TNG, and was the one who started buying all of the Playmates figures that we have. Initially I was going to pass on them, but she pushed it, and I'm glad she did.

So Tycho, it is possible to find someone that puts up with your kook lifestyle. It's only a matter of deciding how much effort you want to spend to make it work.

And last word: attitude. It's fine being cynical or pessimistic, but only to a point. I know that at this time in your life you're more concerned with how much time you've got left. But you've fought that battle with a wild amount of enthusiasm, and I can't see why you're so willing to admit defeat when it comes to finding someone to share your life.

You know... live long and prosper.

jedimastergeorge06
01-28-2009, 05:16 PM
Thats true. My girlfriend was the same way when we first met. I was embarrased when i showed her my collection of star wars and star trek and she didnt get it until we watched all of the movies, some times over and over again and after a little while she got it and at times shes into more than i am...when we go to the store she wants to look with me or some times she wants to be ahead of me so she can look before me. lol....its kinda cute.

She doesnt mind me collecting she doesnt like me spending alot of money on the stuff...and i understand but it makes me happy and when i get my tax check its the only time i can afford to get the expensive stuff. And that part she doesnt understand cause shes not into it like i am. But how many women are? You know? I love her and yes we will get married and im pretty sure that our relationship will be fine...we have gone through so much in last seven years so its all good. :thumbsup: Collecting is who i am and what i do and it makes me happy so if she wants to be with me she has no choice but to except the fact that i do collect and i always will. I started in 1995 and quite frankly...i dont think i will ever finish. And i dont want to.

Blue2th
01-28-2009, 11:26 PM
There's some sweet girls out there who are into Star Trek I'm sure.
I'd like to go to a ST convention to see just how many in ratio to guys there are. Well, I'd like to go to a Star Trek convention anyways, but I suspect those days are over for a while.
There were plenty of girls at Comic-Con.

Met any at the San Diego Star Trek exibit Tycho?

Getting back to the figures. From looking at the 3 3/4 figs, the torsos look like they all have the middle age spread. They need to be slightly slimed down. Hope they are by the time the production figures are out.

Tycho
01-28-2009, 11:55 PM
I liked your post PlasticFetish: your optimism is a little contagious :thumbsup:

This is the season where we're all into "hope" anyway. It's all catching on.

I haven't been to the San Diego Star Trek exhibit, Blue2th. Minus TOS bridge, much of what they have would be the same as the Las Vegas ST Experience, to which I'd been many times before they closed it. While I'd like to go on TOS bridge, I don't think I'll get to while it's here in SD, on account of being really busy right up to my pending surgery. I suppose I could try and go Sunday morning before the Super Bowl though.

But I think you have to pay twice: for entrance to the Air and Space Museum, and then a separate fee for the Star Trek Exhibit.

Not a really big deal though.

As to finding a girl right before my surgery, or before I'm fully restored to normal by my 2nd surgery (May or June) - not as likely except in the case where an old girlfriend who I've already been going out with feels sorry for me. But hey: I'm playing that. I mean, if it works - use it.

In the past I have met girls that I dated who were into Star Trek actually. Miranda moved away, and she was scamming for money. Bridgette was Swiss and was dating my identical twin (almost literally - this guy really looked like me) back in Switzerland, and I only discovered this when I went to stay with her there and my European vacation became really interesting. Ah well - it may work out with someone else in my future according to hopeful speculation by PlasticFetish. And I really hope he's right.

LTBasker
01-29-2009, 12:15 AM
Mirandas are always trouble, Kirk (http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/USS_Reliant) learned that the hard way.

Can't contribute much else to the girlfriend convo, as I've been burned twice and am staying far, far away from relationships for a long time.

And, in other news Rick at NewForce mentioned on the TrekToy board that he'll be getting a new Trek Tek item that is entirely exclusive to him. He's just waiting on approval from DST to announce what it is.

Tycho
01-29-2009, 12:19 AM
The Borg Tribble!!!

It reproduces constantly and assimilates its offspring and itself!

LTBasker
01-29-2009, 04:11 PM
That would be awesome, actually. :D

Got my case of wave 5 today and have to say it's a very awesome wave. Surprisingly though, the packaging is the same as waves 1-3 instead of the slimmer packaging used on wave 4, and DS9 wave 1.

O'Brien - Decent but soft likeness to Colm Meaney, the figure uses Data's body (but at a better quality than wave 3 Data) which seems a bit small for O'Brien in his '92 appearance, but is consistent with the DS9 figure that is using First Contact Data's body. His single unique accessory is a bonzai tree - I assume this is Keiko's doing.

Ro - Definitely the best figure of the wave, she is all sorts of awesome. She doesn't have a unique accessory, but at least she comes with another TNG/DS9 Starfleet rifle that I can give to my DS9 crew since DST insists on giving them the FC rifles.

Ogawa - Her eternal grin has made a few unsure about getting her, but fortunately it's slightly more subtle in person although I can't really say it's all that close to the actress' likeness. She comes with disappointment, however, in that they used the wrong body for her. Instead of using Troi's body, they put her on Crusher's body so she is ridiculously taller than she should be. Her unique accessory is shared by Nem. Crusher and that's the new medical kit.

Nem. Crusher - The paint application on the face is far better than they accomplished on the S7 Crusher, but most are disappointed with the hair. DST made it incredibly more red than it should be and despite having a modified hair sculpt for Nem. Crusher, the factory still used the same piece that's on S7 Crusher. Still, it's a decent figure as the rest of the body was already done well when released as Jadzia's. Definitely a must-have if you're assembling a movie crew.

Interesting note: Thanks to this wave, there are nearly just as many secondary crew members as there are main crew members for TNG;

Picard - Riker - Data - Worf - Troi - Geordi - Crusher
Barclay - Wesley - Ro - O'Brien - Ogawa

Edit: Full accessory list is:
O'Brien: Phaser, Bonzai Tree and Engineering PADD.
Ro: Phaser, Tri-Corder, PADD and Phaser Rifle.
Ogawa: Medical Tri-Corder, Hypo-Spray, Dermal Regenerator and Medical Kit.
Crusher: Nemesis-style PADD, Nemesis-style Tri-corder, Dolphin Phaser and Medical Kit.

Tycho
01-30-2009, 01:53 AM
The TNG collection needs some more alien enemies:

Duras, Lursa, B'Tor (they made Gowron for DS9), Kurn, K'Ehlehr, Alexander
Tomaluk, Bak'ra, Admiral Jerok, Nemesis Romulan played by Dina Meyer, Reman
Damon Bok, Quark, Rom, Brunt: F.C.A., Ishka, Zekk, Nog, Nog in SF uniform

I know I covered some DS9 aliens with the TNG species.

I didn't go so far as Cardassians, as they are more appropriate for a DS9 line.

TNG was Klingons, Romulans, Ferengi, Borg

DS9 was those (not really the Borg though) and Cardassians, Jem Hadar, Vorta, Founders, Breen (and I'm not counting more human-looking aliens like Bajorans for the moment).

LTBasker
01-30-2009, 07:57 AM
Yeah, it would be nice to get some aliens but I don't mind too much as I prefer the Starfleet-uniformed figures anyways. I absolutely demand Gul Madred, Sela and Hugh though. They are just absolutely needed characters that DST simply can't ignore. I'd say Lursa and B'Etor too, but since DST wants to make a 2-pack for every movie they would probably be the top choice for the Generations 2-pack.

JediTricks
01-30-2009, 03:41 PM
Basker, thanks for the rundown on that case. Man, that sounds like a real bummer, everything has a proviso.

LTBasker
02-06-2009, 01:59 PM
By 2020 we can surely look forward to finally seeing this beauty:

Captain Sisko with Defiant command chair-
http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=12&itemid=14041

JediTricks
02-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Hmm, the side panels are too big, but I like that they're trying this. On the other other hand, what's the damned point if the figure can't even sit in it without looking like he's expecting a dental drill in a second?

LTBasker
02-12-2009, 01:54 AM
Packaging for Playmates' Trek line was revealed and if you look closely in the center, you can see the figure in it's natural habitat. Careful not to spook it, as it may retreat further into the packaging and never be seen again.

http://img.trekmovie.com/images/merchandise/playjp_375_kirk.jpg

Here's the rest:
http://trekmovie.com/2009/02/10/first-look-at-playmates-star-trek-toys-packaging-from-japan/

Blue2th
02-12-2009, 02:15 AM
The bridge set shows an interesting craft on the view screen. I'm guessing a Romulan ship?
Looks close to the Romulan ship on Nemesis.

plasticfetish
02-12-2009, 04:25 AM
Careful not to spook it, as it may retreat further into the packaging and never be seen again.Hahahahaha. OMG, that's some serious empty space.

Still though, I'm getting more and more excited about all of this. New film, toys... I'm even excited about the 12" figures.

(I dig the new uniforms, but am I the only one that thinks the phaser looks kind of stupid? I dunno, maybe it'll grow on me.)

Blue2th
02-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Playmates always did make halfway decent 12" figures. I'm tempted.

JediTricks
02-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Packaging for Playmates' Trek line was revealed and if you look closely in the center, you can see the figure in it's natural habitat. Careful not to spook it, as it may retreat further into the packaging and never be seen again.

http://img.trekmovie.com/images/merchandise/playjp_375_kirk.jpg
AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! For a second, I didn't get your joke, then I looked at the picture and man, no kidding, it looks totally tiny in there, Playmates is the master of screwups! It looks like they used the 6" figure packaging for the 3.75" line as well.

That is some fugly packaging too, bland and sad and saying nothing.

Here's the rest:
http://trekmovie.com/2009/02/10/first-look-at-playmates-star-trek-toys-packaging-from-japan/
Thanks for the link. Man, what a bunch of junk. Looks like the phaser goes from stun to kill by simply flipping the emitter around from the red side to the blue side. Is there ANYTHING in this film they haven't gotten wrong??? And the clamshells on the role-play items seem way out of place. And the vac-metalizing on the phaser and tricorder looks especially dimestore.

The bridge set shows an interesting craft on the view screen. I'm guessing a Romulan ship?
Looks close to the Romulan ship on Nemesis.Yes, that's Nero's ship.

LTBasker
02-14-2009, 05:37 PM
It looks like they used the 6" figure packaging for the 3.75" line as well.

There are actually some pointless differences between the 6" and 3 3/4" packaging (such as around the peg-hole), but they do look like they're about 99% the same. Considering the darkness of the packaging as well as the figures, I'm thinking we'll often be seeing the 3 3/4" and 6" mixed together on the pegs.

Looks like the phaser goes from stun to kill by simply flipping the emitter around from the red side to the blue side.

I hope that's just a play feature, if it's in the movie then that would be incredibly messed up. It reeks of Power-Rangerness. Granted, in the Cage they twisted around the emitter housing to get to different settings for their laser pistols - but it was all fully contained in that housing, unlike this fragile looking design.

Is there ANYTHING in this film they haven't gotten wrong???

The tunic colors are mostly correct. ;)

Also, DST has revealed an incredible amount of new product at Toy Fair:

http://74.52.193.82/events/main.php?g2_itemId=123460

-McCoy (Medical t-shirt top)
-Nurse Chapel
-Romulan Commander
-Kirk as Romulan
-Salt Vampire (Not shown, though)
-Mirror, Mirror Command Chair pack
-TWOK Communicator
-Silver 7 of 9
-Spock (not entirely new, but the one that will be accompanying Romunlan-disguise Kirk in the 2-pack has a new head)
-Green casual tunic Kirk (different tunic than the one on the AA Series 1 Kirk)

JediTricks
02-14-2009, 10:47 PM
Good call on the peg hole, one is a J-hook and the other ain't. The tray on the 6" figure is corrugated while the 3.75" isn't. There's also a significant depth difference on the outer border.

Ha! Power Rangers-esque, I totally see that, now that you mention it. I like The Cage pistol, Playmates did a really good version of that, it makes sense there. This is such a floppity, silly-looking concept.

Fabulous link on the new DST stuff! I had no idea the interior of the WOK communicator sucked so bad. :p

I didn't want to buy another version of the WOK phaser, Playmates did it in the TMP colors, but theirs didn't have the removable type-1 style and this does, so thank you DST.

Spock's TOS Tricorder, yay! $50, boo!

Locutus of Borg looks kinda stuffy in that costume, it's not right.

The chest on the second 7 of 9 figure is ludicrous.

Why is the Borg Queen a crosseyed inbred?

The right side of Dukat is barely recognizable, the left side not even that.

Gowron's eyes aren't crazed enough. :p

Hairy-armed Bones McCoy!

Mark Lenard's Romulan Commander is perfect.

Enterprise Incident Spock's expression is funny, it kinda works, that hoity toity thing.

Those Icons busts are really good. Not sure who gives a crap about Pike or Archer, but the likenesses are spot-on.

The Quarter Scale figs, they're creepy, it's the long necks and ill-fitting clothes, they look sickly. And the likenesses are NOT there.

Tycho
02-14-2009, 10:55 PM
I just got my ArtAsylum / DST First Contact Data coming to me all the way from Australia. They shipped him in a SideShow box so at first I thought it was my Utopau Clone Trooper, hehe.

Data's awesome and comes with 2 heads - one has his ripped open face, and the other is normal, except for a part of his hair being removed so you can plug in a download cable (included). But he also comes with the hair part to add back to make the perfect Data.

Included additionally, Data has an extra right arm with his mechanics exposed from when the warp plasma burned away the flesh the Borg Queen had added. But I can't get his regular right arm off so I can put this one on instead. Anyone have this figure and any tips?

I might try the boiling water method, but I don't know how AA/DST figures are painted and if I'll damage his finish by doing that. I only know it works for Hasbro SW figures.

Any help would be appreciated.

LTBasker
02-14-2009, 11:07 PM
Cool - glad you got it, I've been meaning to ask you about him. :D

You definitely want to do the boil & pop method on Data, as wave 3 wasn't produced in the best quality. When the Data came out, some people tried to pry his arm off without the method and ended up breaking the joint. All of those that used boil & pop were fine, though. On TrekToy there are numerous people that frequently do the boil & pop method on DST figures and all of them mention there is no effect whatsoever to the paint. The only risk is if you forget that you're not supposed to stick your hand in the boiling water. :p

Tycho
02-15-2009, 07:16 AM
Why? What happens if you stick your own hand in boiling water? ;)

LTBasker
02-15-2009, 09:06 AM
You grow upside-down purple wings and you forfeit your card to the opposable thumb club. And something about burns or something to do with hotdogs, I don't know, I was too distracted by the purple wings to listen any further. Oh, and you wouldn't be able to post your feelings about the little sign that says "USS Excelsior Ship Fall '09."

http://www.cooltoyreview.com/TF2009/DSTstartrek1/image6.asp

LTBasker
02-15-2009, 03:48 PM
On the other hand, forget the sign. Time for some real drooling. :D

http://photos.actionfigs.com/showphoto.php?photo=33306
http://photos.actionfigs.com/showphoto.php?photo=33307
http://photos.actionfigs.com/showphoto.php?photo=33308

Tycho
02-15-2009, 09:39 PM
TOS Kirk as a Romulan looks like a cool figure!

Kirk as a Romulan (http://photos.actionfigs.com/showphoto.php?photo=33378)

I hope they make other TOS Romulans (Mark Leonard's?) to go with him.
- The female Romulan Commander, too.

ask and you shall receive: the Romulan played by Mark Leonard and Nurse Chappel with McCoy in surgery scrubs shirt! (http://photos.actionfigs.com/showphoto.php?photo=33366) This was from the episode where Bones cut her arms and legs off while he was drinking Sorian Brandy. ;)

(It's a prototype, hehe)

Blue2th
02-16-2009, 01:44 AM

http://photos.actionfigs.com/showphoto.php?photo=33308

Yes Excelsior and Enterprise B!
The AGT Enterprise looks like it needs more detail like the Enterprise D, which seems to have more aztec-ing. Prototype?

I want all of these. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
02-17-2009, 07:23 PM

http://photos.actionfigs.com/showphoto.php?photo=33308Let me get this straight, they can't light the nacelles on the Ent-E, but the ol' -B here gets the full treatment? WTF??? Still, those look stupendous, I cannot wait. I cannot believe how long it's been without these, too.

LTBasker
02-17-2009, 08:41 PM
People have been saying that DST is using the AMT/Ertl model for the Excelsior, so maybe the lack of sculpting costs meant more financing for the electronics?

LTBasker
02-20-2009, 01:19 PM
BBTS showed a nice surprise recently, it appears that the Sisko that will come with the Defiant chair won't be the same as wave 1. Instead, it will be a season 4 version with the bald head on the VOY-style uniform.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=DMC11112&mode=retail

JediTricks
02-23-2009, 03:09 AM
I smell a variant.