PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek figures (merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Tycho
02-23-2009, 04:33 AM
NewForceComics.com has up for pre-order:

Borg Wave 1 (it's under Diamond ST: TNG) which includes Seven, Seven as a Borg, a Starfleet dude transforming into a Borg, and a full Borg drone. The latter two are First Contact style.

And in Deep Space Nine: Sisko (pre-5th season) and Gul Dukat (excellent figure!)

I've been billed and shipped (due to arrive any day now): DS9 Kira Season 7, Bashir, O'Brien, and General Martok.

On order for me are: Worf DS9 4th Season, and Chancellor Gowron, STIV: TVH Kirk (civilian) and Spock (white robes).

I think that's it for now. At Toy Fair I saw the new TOS Trek figures with Kirk as a Romulan and actor Mark Leonard's Romulan Commander, along with another Spock. I also think I heard the Salt Vampire is finally coming out, as well as Surgical Scrubs McCoy, and Nurse Chappel.

I would like to see a lot more DS9 from the Dominion Wars: Quark, Kira in Bajoran Uniform, Weyoun, The Founder, The Jem Hadar, Garack, Gul Damar, Ziyal, a Breen, a Cardassian Soldier, Rom, Nog in Starfleet uniform, Grand Nagus Zekk, and more.

I think I might collect Voyager figures as well, when they make them. I'd like the crew and then some of the aliens they encountered.

I'd also like the Niners baseball team and the cast of Captain Proton, not forgetting Satan's Robot.

I'm still so totally into Star Trek right now.

JediTricks
02-24-2009, 06:56 PM
I want my Ent D mailed to me, plus classic Communicator and Tricorder in the stores! I hate how slow DST is with this line.

Jayspawn
02-25-2009, 12:19 AM
Yeah I cant wait for the Enterprise D myself. Been really looking forward to it.

LTBasker
02-25-2009, 09:08 AM
Well, since it was shown in packaging at Toy Fair then it should only be a couple more years until release. :crazed:

Tycho
02-25-2009, 07:44 PM
My DS9 figures came today!

General Martok is incredible! That is one great figure! A lot of weapons and detail to him, and a dead-on sculpt, too.

Colonel Kira is really good too. The likeness is great to Kira in the 7th season.

O'Brien looks too thin. He always looked like a heavier guy than his action figure portrays him to be. His holodeck coonskin hat from The Alamo program is included.

Bashir also looks too thin in the face. He too comes with a coonskin cap amongst his other accessories.

Overall, I'm very pleased with these figures and hope many more selections from DS9 will continue in the near future.

Edit: Using the boiling water method, I got First Contact Data's normal arm off and added the cybernetics-exposed / Borg-damaged Data's arm. Now he looks really cool with the Captain's vested Picard holding the Borg Queen's skull and spine, ready to break her neck and end her existence once and for all - or so he thought (before Voyager's writers thought it would be a good idea to bring her back to plague Captain Janeway).

Anyway, to celebrate I made myself some tea, Earl Gray, hot!

JediTricks
03-01-2009, 02:37 AM
The ship date for the Ent-D is 3/25 at last check, but with DST, who the hell knows.

jedimastergeorge06
03-14-2009, 04:21 PM
Any body know when the star trek movie figures are suppose to come out?

Jayspawn
03-16-2009, 12:19 AM
They hit mid-April. Around the 13th I think.

Tycho
03-16-2009, 02:21 PM
I want to see the new Star Trek toys in the brick-and-mortar stores before I buy anything, but I'm probably down for a lot of that stuff - likely the figures that approach my old Playmates figure size, anything that's close to Art Asylum's scale, and the 3 3/4" line if they're the ones interacting with the playsets.

I also wonder when the Terminator 4 toys are coming (Playmates as well). Will they ship at the same time?

I guess Transformers ROTF stuff won't hit until May (maybe - some relief on the budget there).

I don't buy nearly as much stuff as a lot of you guys here (anymore - I know I used to army build my Star Wars like money grew on trees). But 3 of my top 4 favorites are coming to movie theaters this summer - each with a toyline.

Rik Duel
03-17-2009, 03:02 AM
Is it likely the Wrath of Khan phaser will be at Toys R Us? (since they have the series one already)

JediTricks
03-17-2009, 05:39 PM
Is it likely the Wrath of Khan phaser will be at Toys R Us? (since they have the series one already)
That's a good question. As of right now, I don't think anybody can know, they've not been moving those TOS Phasers so far, and they haven't gotten in any communicators or tricorders yet. But I'm hoping they do, I'm hoping TRU sees the movie pushing all ST stuff and orders it sight unseen.

LTBasker
03-20-2009, 02:21 PM
At last, the Enterprise's Queen of the Beehive will be seeing plastic form, Janice Rand has been subtlely announced via DST's site:

http://www.diamondselecttoys.com/

JediTricks
03-22-2009, 10:18 PM
Looks like a decent likeness, lots of sculpting in the hair for some reason.

LTBasker
03-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Yeah, there is some shocking detail there. She looks like she's using Uhura's body, so they really only had the head to focus on.

AFX is showing off two new versions of the old Connie-
"High Definition/Remastered" Enterprise - http://www.shopafx.com/sttrorseensh.html
Has added details included grid lining

"Mirror, Mirror" Enterprise - http://www.shopafx.com/sttrmimiisse.html
Inspired from the Remastered episode, it uses the WNMHGB Enterprise with "I.S.S." registry and a Terran Empire logo. Some have posted screencaps from the episode on another board and it shows that the logo wasn't added in the episode, but personally I think it adds a nice touch.

Though, have to say both seem truly redundant, and I would rather see a battle-damaged Defiant repaint.

AmanaMatt
03-26-2009, 12:49 PM
Where have I been? Those new TOS figures look great, aside from the new spock sculpt, which looks more like Mccoy in spock disguise!

Heres a new pic with Rand - haven't seen it before?

http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=fignews2.setup&category=actionfigures&topic=41&show_article=778&nl=1

sculpts are good, paint is too heavy (as usual with DST, it seems)

Is the Romulan kirk going to be wave 5 or a two pack?

LTBasker
03-26-2009, 01:29 PM
Romulan Kirk's in a two pack with a Spock that has a new head sculpt.

Tycho
03-26-2009, 01:31 PM
I think the Romulan Kirk will come with a repeat of Spock, and the Romulan Commander (played by Mark Leonard before he was cast as Sarek) will be packed with a repeat of regular Kirk.

I wished you could get these figures separately or that they'd make a TOS Romulan Soldier.

Snowtrooper
03-26-2009, 03:56 PM
McCoy's hairy arms look nasty. I hope its not on the final product.

Tycho
03-26-2009, 07:47 PM
McCoy's hairy arms look nasty. I hope its not on the final product.

I know. Why do they have to do that on an action figure? They can just make him with bare Barbie arms, you know.

AmanaMatt
03-26-2009, 10:48 PM
Romulan Kirk's in a two pack with a Spock that has a new head sculpt.

I think the Romulan Kirk will come with a repeat of Spock, and the Romulan Commander (played by Mark Leonard before he was cast as Sarek) will be packed with a repeat of regular Kirk.

I wished you could get these figures separately or that they'd make a TOS Romulan Soldier.

Argh! thanks.....gawd, hate crap like that....

JediTricks
03-26-2009, 11:14 PM
AFX is showing off two new versions of the old Connie-
"High Definition/Remastered" Enterprise - http://www.shopafx.com/sttrorseensh.html
Has added details included grid liningWow, that's kinda cool. I'd need to see it in person first though because it's kind of a bland sculpt and might not carry that paint detail at this scale. Still, glad to see them going for it.

Ok, so apparently Dr. McCoy is a giant. WTF? The hairy arms are hilarious.

Anybody heard from NewForce lately? I emailed and called them, no responses, and there's new product hitting now.

AmanaMatt
03-27-2009, 10:02 AM
Haven't heard anything off with Newforce - maybe they are backed up?
Yeah, Mccoy with hairy arms is kinda funny to me.....overall, they look good - I do believe the artist for these is different than what they did waves -4, but could be wrong...just happy to get a Rand and Chapel after all this time...who would have thought?

Tycho
03-27-2009, 10:25 AM
I have a Rand and Chappel from the Playmates line of the 90's, so I'm not that thrilled. But they look good and I may buy 1 or both.

I will buy the BigFoot McCoy. Rumor is the Salt Vampire is finally going to be produced, and it will be helpful to have a few McCoys that are different which I can switch around to use to make suitable substitutions for the different scenes I want to set up with my figures.

Another figure they should do is the female Romulan Commander from Enterprise Incident who romantically fell for Spock. As of late Star Trek movies, including the new one coming out here in the next several months, and Nemesis, the Romulans are very prominent now - doing Klingon movies are finally considered over-exposure for that particular race. In fact, they should do movies with the Cardassians and The Dominion (what else would you expect a Niner like myself to say anyway?).

BTW, I hope Playmates releases another wave of Star Trek movie figures with a generic Romulan or Reman Soldier (or both) that you can army-build with. If this movie is JJ Abrams attempt to "Star Wars" (vb) Star Trek, then let the toyline reflect something like Star Wars 3 3/4" line with combat vehicles and beast accessory toys. Just from the previews, I see there's a lot of potential. The starships really ought to be made off-scale with opening saucer sections or whatever, that reveal underscale bridges you can staff with a limited number of figures (of course Kirk, Spock, Uhura, Sulu, and Chekov).

Jayspawn
03-28-2009, 10:09 AM
I'll get Yeoman Rand and Nurse Chapel for sure. Been waiting for Rand since day 1 on these figures. About time Kirk had a girl made!

AmanaMatt
03-28-2009, 10:48 AM
I'll get Yeoman Rand and Nurse Chapel for sure. Been waiting for Rand since day 1 on these figures. About time Kirk had a girl made!

I know. Pike got his woman...for such a limited line, I am happy with with three main waves, a variant Mirror Mirror wave, and now this one, we have a pretty nice set of TOS 7"ers....

Tycho
03-28-2009, 12:19 PM
I want more Wrath of Khan figures!

McCoy Regula-1
Saavik Regular-1
Terrel - red EV suit (can be reused for Spock TMP)
Chekov - white EV suit (can be reused for Kirk TMP)
David Marcus
Carol Marcus
Jaquim (Khan's son)
Scotty Radiation Suit

There's 2 waves of 4 figures each. Then it's done. Though you could do Spock in his black Vulcan ceremonial robes. But that can be a figure from a different movie label, as he wore this at other times, too. (ST6, etc.)

AmanaMatt
03-28-2009, 04:54 PM
I passed on all movie versions...they just did not look as good to me - aside from Khan...

Snowtrooper
03-28-2009, 06:42 PM
Terrel - red EV suit (can be reused for Spock TMP)
Chekov - white EV suit (can be reused for Kirk TMP)

This is a great idea. It makes alot of sense to do this since youd be getting four figures out of one mold.

Joachim would be a good one too. Was he Khan's son? I didn't think anything was said one way or another in either the movie or the novel. 15 years passed between Space Seed and STII. He seemed like he was more in his 20's rather than 15, so I assumed he was more of a very good friend to Khan

I was bummed that the Kruge/Maltz two pack was cancelled. I was looking forward to that one. Hope they decide to release it down the road. I'd like to see these Klingon baddies made:

Klingon Captain TMP
Cmdr Kruge STIII
Maltz STIII
Torg STIII
Valkrys STIII
Klingon Ambassador STIV
General Chang STVI
Chancellor Gorkon STVI

Rik Duel
03-28-2009, 08:32 PM
For some reason I don't like the scale of these figures. I want 3 3/4 figures from the old movies. (maybe on a retro mego TMP-type card, but different for each movie. Like toys from an alternate universe where the Trek 79 line was the big Star Wars success they were hoping for)

Jayspawn
03-29-2009, 12:19 AM
Kruge and Maltz got cancelled? Oh that sucks! I still really want Captain Koloth.

"Ahh my dear Captain Kirk."

Tycho
03-29-2009, 01:40 AM
Art Asylum did Cmdr. Kor (John Callicos of BattleStar Galactica fame) for TOS Klingons, I think. Kang and Koloth would be nice additions!

Of course the original actors all came back to reprise their roles on DS9, so they could do them in the modern Klingon style as well).

Snowtrooper, DST should love getting 4 figures out of one mold, indeed!

And I totally agree with your list of movie Klingons they could make.

I'd add ST5's Capt. Klaaw and Vixis, General Korrd, and ST6's Azetbur and Worf, as well as Col. West (Rene "Odo" Aberjenaus) in Klingon Disguise, too.

Blue2th
04-01-2009, 10:26 AM
The transporter toy looks like fun: http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=12&itemid=14279

Tycho
04-01-2009, 10:39 AM
Yeah it does look like fun. Could kids get into Star Trek? Can JJ Abrams be sparking the firey rebirth of the franchise?

Let's see:

1) Star Trek starts on TV
2) Star Wars starts at the movies
3) Star Wars moves to TV
4) Star Trek moves exclusively to the movies

However, if kids access TOS Star Trek, and Trek then-on, hyper-sensitive parents will start to get upset because the program is too sexually loaded (especially when compared to Star Wars) and it brings into question Creationism and most of religion - and shows other cultures (Vulcans and Romulans to certain degrees) to be superior to our own (but not in many ways). Other "objectionable things" include one world government (of earth).

I think the capitol of the Earth is in France (Deep Space Nine reference) while StarFleet Headquarters is in San Francisco of course.

JediTricks
04-01-2009, 02:45 PM
The transporter looks like fun? I'm not seeing it, I would have been really annoyed with that toy, it's a cheap magic trick, you still know the figure's inside. :p The Playmates transporter was way cooler, it was a better magic trick and didn't require putting your figures in a coffin.

So, DST has pushed back the Ent-D yet again, now May 20th. At this rate, I'm confident this toy will never get released.

jedimastergeorge06
04-01-2009, 07:52 PM
I saw the commercial for the movie star trek toys and it really excites me....It brings back memories from the early 90s when the next generation stuff came out. I cant wait. I know i will get the 3 3/4 inch figures but ill have see the 6 inch figures in person to determine if i want to get those. Im going to a toyshow on the 19th and the new stuff comes out around that time so i might see these there and deterime then if i want to get them.

AmanaMatt
04-02-2009, 10:48 PM
Just finished the 4 part comic book prequel: Countdown. Color me excited....cant wait!

pbarnard
04-03-2009, 02:39 PM
They're courting disaster with "random build a bridge/transporter" pack ins.

jonthejedi
04-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Saw the roleplay phaser, tricorder & "scotty" transporter playset today at my local Toys R Us. I saw the info about the add-on environment pieces.

JediTricks
04-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Did you by any chance note how much the role-play items were?

EDIT: They have 'em on the website, $16 each for the communicator, tricorder, and phaser. To be honest, none of them look worth it, the tricorder closest but it seems like it's pretty small.

They have the DST TOS Role Play stuff listed out of stock or preorder, but the only in-store piece, the phaser, is half-off which is a terrible sign.

Tycho
04-08-2009, 03:31 PM
Saw the roleplay phaser, tricorder & "scotty" transporter playset today at my local Toys R Us. I saw the info about the add-on environment pieces.

Uh-oh. I think a trip to my Toys R Us might be in order. I plan to look and only maybe buy (because of the return priviledge) at this time.

The movie is out May 8, so it is now 30 days prior. I guess the toy release makes sense. I don't think I'm going for this stuff until I see the film though - which might be a week or two later than its release because of personal reasons.

LTBasker
04-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Well finally some good news from DST, as the Worf/Gowron pack has been released, someone found an ebay auction that included a packaged pic.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm199/hartley1701/worf.jpg

Can't wait to get that one, and finally they include the proper phaser rifle.

Edit: Oh, and someone on Fwoosh got the new Playmates Enterprise and included pics of it lit, unfortunately it has quite a bit of light bleeding through the nacelles and saucer.

http://www.thefwoosh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=21159&start=600#p1562101

Tycho
04-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Hmmm. New Force Comics has said nothing to those of us who pre-ordered the Worf / Gowron 2-pack.

Meanwhile they are going to soon offer TOS wave 5 for pre-order. I wish they'd list what will be in that one.

jedibear
04-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Just finished the 4 part comic book prequel: Countdown. Color me excited....cant wait!

I did too...and yes, I was really resisting this but now I'm ready to see it. Those advance screenings had a lot of good buzz so....we'll see.

I highly recommend that comic to anyone interested in seeing the movie...it's not necessarily "required reading" but it does get one back in the "Trek" mood by giving some of the "Next Generation" crew a nice chance to shine...a way-better send-off than that dreary "Nemesis" movie was...

But back to the toys...I didn't comb back too far in this thread but...does anyone know when the figures will be out for the new movie? I thought they'd have hit by now with the mivue being a month off, but...nothing up my way yet...

LTBasker
04-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Hmmm. New Force Comics has said nothing to those of us who pre-ordered the Worf / Gowron 2-pack.

Yeah, I'm quite shocked at the lack of information coming from NFC, Rick hasn't even posted on the TrekToy board in quite awhile. I'd especially like to know if that extra accessory was ever approved for the exclusive bagged Gowron.

JediTricks
04-10-2009, 12:20 AM
Edit: Oh, and someone on Fwoosh got the new Playmates Enterprise and included pics of it lit, unfortunately it has quite a bit of light bleeding through the nacelles and saucer.

http://www.thefwoosh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=21159&start=600#p1562101Dang, Playmates never changes, do they? Same ol' cut corners.

I'm a little worried that NewForce has had something happen, they don't answer emails and their voicemail is the only thing that picks up on their phone now, and it doesn't have an outgoing message.

LTBasker
04-10-2009, 12:31 AM
I resurrected the thread on TrekToy about the NFC Gowron to see if anyone has heard from Rick. If nobody replies by tomorrow then I'll send a PM to a guy on that board that's been updating NFC's Trek figure reference site, as he's usually in regular contact with Rick.

Tycho
04-10-2009, 05:51 AM
Hmmm. I'm concerned. I have several pre-orders out with NewForce (and I've liked doing business with Rick for years).

I want my:

Worf / Gowron
STIV: Kirk / Spock
Sisko / Dukat
Borg 4 pack (or is it 3 pack?) Wave 1

I think I also ordered Sisko in the Defiant command chair (I would )

And I might be waiting for more TOS stuff to surface in per-ordering - like the Romulan stuff shown at Toy Fair.

LTBasker
04-10-2009, 02:09 PM
According to the latest Q&A from DST, the Sisko and Dukat has unfortunately been canceled. Why? Because of a lack of preorders. It seems that the reason why there are so many delays on a product is due to them waiting on a preorder quota to put the thing into production - and of course then you have to wait the several months for it to be produced.

Ji'dai
04-10-2009, 04:07 PM
I saw the Playmates Enterprise bridge playset with Kirk figure at TRU today. I think it was $27. After seeing pics of both this and the transporter playset I thought they'd be more substantial. The "floor" of the bridge is just a play mat, though I'm not sure if it's cardboard or felt.

The Kirk figure looked okay, couldn't really tell about the articulation, though the eyes were little uneven.

Tycho
04-10-2009, 08:11 PM
I just bought nearly $170 worth of new movie Star Trek toys at Wal-Mart today.

I got all the 3 3/4" and all the 6" or 7" (whatever they are) that I could find.

I will talk A LOT about these in just a minute.

First I want to say that I hope that the bridge is not just a playmat!

My Toys R Us had nothing yesterday. Maybe there was a street-date for the Trek toys to be released.? I could check my TRU tonight, possibly.

Oh, and it REALLY SUCKS about DST's Gul Dukat!!! I really wanted him and the Cardassian body armor could be re-used for soldiers, Legate Damar, Garack from the Alt. Universe, and more Cardassian characters. Why waste an opportunity here?

The new Playmates figures come with BRIDGE (B) parts, and TRANSPORTER (T) Parts.

There are 4 "T" figures. I think T1 is Scotty and he is packed in with a large accessory.

You have to buy all the figures to get all the accessories to assemble all of each playset.

T2 Uhura
T3 Nero
T4 Older Spock
were all available.

Each unique figure is packed with a unique playset part. You do not have to search for parts that might be included with figures you already might have (at this point anyway).

In both sizes (Nero, a Romulan leader played by Eric Bana) has barely any headsculpt detail other than the pointed ears. He could at least have the sculpted Romulan forehead brow that makes them more sinsiter looking than their cousin Vulcans. However, Nero is tattooed and as such, the figure's face details are just painted on. Eric Bana (formerly Bruce Banner in The Hulk) is just too nice-guy looking as an action figure. In the movie, he looks more evil. But whatever.

All the bridge playset parts have not been released yet.

There are 18. I think this is what I got

B1 Spock
B2 Pike
B4 Sulu
B9 Kirk
B10 McCoy
B11 Scotty
B13 Chekov

Missing characters you might figure on were issued as Transporter figures.

You will not find 18 figures yet. They have not all been released. I hope we get some Romulan soldiers to army-build!

I suspect that how some of the regular crew of officers are in Academy uniforms and others are in their SF uniforms, exactly the opposites will be released in the 2nd or 3rd waves shipping. Thus you will have a complete crew in Academy uniforms, and a complete crew in SF uniforms - eventually. (I suspect they will do the same with their larger size figures, too)

Playmates: way to bait us into buying everything you produce.

The orbital skydiving figures and maybe SF combat gear figures might make it to release as well. I don't know if they'll have run out of bridge playset parts to issue with those by that time or what by then. However, they could (and hopefully will) make new playsets to keep this trend going. Maybe I should see if Playmates is a publically traded company?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE 1
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 6" figures are larger than the original Playmates figures and are smaller than AA/DSTs.

The CADET figures are:

McCoy
Uhura
Chekov

I suspect these figures may be made in their regular uniforms later on.
McCoy's time as a cadet might be prolonged if he's doing MEDICAL residency, as that's a long undertaking! He is supposedly older than Kirk and always looked older than Spock, but with a Vulcan, it's hard to tell.

Now why would Uhura have made Lt. when Checkov was just an Ens? Perhaps she started on the ship as a Lt jg?

The STARFLEET UNIFORM figures include:

Kirk
Spock
Scotty
Sulu
(Capt Pike too, of course)

I suspect Kirk and Sulu might be made in cadet uniforms for the 6" figures, later. Sulu got promoted fast - that's for sure. As he eventually served as Kirk's 2nd Officer and next in command of the ship after Spock (Gary Mitchell, then Spock, originally).

Scotty might have already been a young officer at the time when the younger crew members were at the Academy.
Spock, who's actual age I don't know (Vulcans are long lived and look younger than they are) already served on Capt. Pike's ship.

A new wave of 6" could thus include Kirk, Sulu, Chekov, Uhura, and McCoy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE 2
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 3 3/4" figures are not quite that. They might be 3.5". They are just smaller than basic Star Wars figures. Antares Draco dwarfs them, and even Cade Skywalker looks a lot bigger than Kirk and Co. However, SW figures could "invade" the Trek playsets, and the Trek figures wouldn't look unreasonable in SW vehicles, but other SW figures next to them could be awkward.

Talon Karrde and Infinities Jedi Leia are about the smallest figures I have out, loose right now. They match sizes pretty well, though Karrde looks like a WWF wrestler next to Spock, LOL.

With the 3.5" ....

Cadets include:

McCoy
Chekov
...........only

I suspect they will make:

Kirk
Uhura
Sulu

and Duty Uniforms include:

Kirk
Spock
Scotty
Sulu
Uhura

and they will make:

Chekov
McCoy

That's 5 more figures and there are still "parts B3, B5, B6, B7, B8, B12, B14, B15, B16, B17, B18" (or 11 more figures they need to have come with bridge parts).

1) Cadet Kirk
2) Cadet Sulu
3) Cadet Uhura
4) Duty Uniform Chekov
5) Duty Uniform McCoy

6)??? Orbital SkyDive Kirk?
7)??? black shirt Kirk?
8)??? Orbital SkyDive Sulu?
9)??? Orbital SkyDive Chekov?
10)??? Orbital SkyDive Uhura?
11)??? Romulan Soldier (we can only hope!!!)

Other figures might be:

Kirk's Dad (George Samuel Kirk)
Kirk's Mom
Future Cop (should be a Deluxe Figure with Police SkyBike)
Sarek (Spock's Dad)
Gary Mitchell (one should hope he's in this movie!)
Another Bad Guy (so necessary!!!)
Boyhood Kirk (eh? Who cares unless they make the Cop and maybe the classic sports car that young Kirk can drive)

By the way, with this expansion of the figure sets, it could make more sense if a Romulan Soldier figure did not have to come with a part to the Enterprise's bridge.

Ji'dai
04-11-2009, 08:51 AM
First I want to say that I hope that the bridge is not just a playmat!

My Toys R Us had nothing yesterday. Maybe there was a street-date for the Trek toys to be released.? I could check my TRU tonight, possibly.
The bridge playset has plastic consoles and command chairs but the floor is just a playmat. I thought it might have a plastic floor that the consoles and stuff snap into, but it looks to be just a mat that the toys just sit on.

I didn't see any Star Trek stuff at WM. If there is an official release date, the local stores are usually fanatical about observing it. My TRU only had the bridge playset and a model kit.

jonthejedi
04-11-2009, 09:17 AM
Hit my local Md. TRU today...they added the ST Bridge playset, the & 7" & 12"(old Spock & McCoy looked the best IMO). Also had Terminator Salvation(3 sizes) out on an endcap.

Tycho
04-11-2009, 09:46 AM
Oooh! I'll have to go to TRU on the double-quick now. (I really have nothing better to do). The Terminator stuff holds a high interest for me as well.

If the Trek stuff is going to be "playmat cheap," on the 3.5" collection, I may take those figures back - YET.

I'm keeping the 6" most likely for sure. I'm not interested in Trek 12".

The Terminator Salvation products for their 3 3/4" or 3.5" figures look to be really good with at least 4 vehicles the figures interact with (curiously, this is Playmates Toys also).

[UPDATE] Well my Toys R Us didn't yet have any Star Trek or Terminator. Maybe Wal-Mart broke a street date. It wouldn't be the first time. But the movie (ST anyway) is less than 1 month away! It's about time for the toys to be released.

defiant00
04-11-2009, 10:16 PM
My local WM had two full endcaps of the new Trek figures, one of the 3 3/4 inch figs and one of the 6 inch. I almost grabbed a few of the 3 3/4, but held off...

Tycho
04-11-2009, 10:23 PM
The 6" are better, IMO. But the vehicles (I hope) and playsets that interact with the figures are for the 3.5" line.

I spent such a long time (an hour) picking out the best paint jobs and making sure I had everyone, that I needed to buy them. I have a 30 day return priviledge, so I haven't made a mistake YET.

jedimastergeorge06
04-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Called my local walmart today to see if they heard when they might get these new figures in and they said that they had an endcap of the and i quote "the little ones in on an endcap" (3 3/4 inch figures) So i went to walmart as soon as i got off the phone and there they were on an endcap. I was the first one to buy them. I got all of them except nero,old spock and checov. They rang up 6.47 each. Now as for the paint jobs...pretty weak. But the best paint jobs are uhura and pike.. the rest are little worse than the indy figures when they first came out but there ok i guess. They are starting to grow on me. They look great in the package i think. Uhura came in one per case and pike seems that way too. Im semi excited about this line. So on a scale from 1 to 10 i would give these new figures a 6.5 to 7. Like i said..they look better in the package so for the in the package only collectors your in luck.:thumbsup:

Tycho
04-12-2009, 07:43 PM
I plan on opening them and building the bridge and transporter, and hopefully the line continuing as it obviously must (to issue the remaining crew in duty uniforms or cadet uniforms, and hopefully some warriors or henchmen for Nero).

So why didn't you buy Nero or older Spock?

Why not buy Chekov?

On the little figures, McCoy is also in cadet uniform. They make a 12" of the Doctor in his blue uniform, so it's reasonable to expect he'll wear that as a duty uniform (even seen in the preview trailer) and they just didn't release that figure yet.

LTBasker
04-12-2009, 07:51 PM
I may pick up the 6" Old Spock and regular Spock, but I'll wait to judge them in person if I do. Just not liking that the 6" look like scaled up versions of the ugly 3 3/4".

Jayspawn
04-12-2009, 10:46 PM
Only my TRU has the new Trek stuff so far. The 7" Old Spock looked like crap. Regular Spock and McCoy look the best I thought. No sign of the 3" figures.

Has anyone found the Enterprise yet?

Tycho
04-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Yeah, the Enterprise was at Wal-Mart. I may just end up buying it, but I didn't want it at the particular moment I was shopping before. But I think they are going to make a Romulan ship to pair against it, so I may have to purchase these.

From DST, I want:

USS Defiant
USS Voyager
Klingon BoP
Nemesis Romulan Warbird
Nemesis Reman Scimitar
Cardassian Galor Class Warship
Maquis Raider
Jem Hadar Fighter
Jem Hadar Battle Cruiser

more I'm just not thinking of right now.

I have no plans to buy the USS Reliant.

LTBasker
04-13-2009, 06:36 PM
I'm hoping the K-BoP is coming soon, DST confirmed in the latest Q&A that a Klingon ship is planned to be one of the next. It'd fit in quite well with the Excelsior and Enterprise-D releases... It just better have pivoting wings if they do make it.

Found an endcap with the new Trek figs today, didn't pay too much attention to the 3 3/4" as they appeared just as disappointing as pics have depicted, but the 6" are a bit better in person. The uniforms look far more knit sweater-like in pics, but the sculpted delta shield pattern is still pretty ridiculous looking. The 6" figs I saw were Old Spock, Kirk, Uhura, Sulu, McCoy (Cadet), Chekov (Cadet) and Scotty. Old Spock was an unfortunate disappointment, as the accuracy is somewhat there but it looks like someone kicked his puppy. As well, his Vulcan salute hand looks like his fingers stopped growing pre-maturely.

McCoy and Scotty were surprising though, as the likeness on both is incredibly close to the actors, most notably McCoy, though. I think the eyebrows need fixing on Scotty to really Peg(g) the likeness, right now he looks like his evil twin. Another pleasant surprise was the sculpting of the uniform for McCoy, which looks far better than the near-sweater appearance of the officers' uniforms. I just can't get over the fact, though, that the torsos are ridiculously thick. They remind me too much of the Power Rangers head-flip toys.

As seen here. (http://cgi.ebay.com/Power-Ranger-flip-head-action-figures-lot-of-all-6_W0QQitemZ190299968492QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defau ltDomain_0?hash=item190299968492&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50)

I'm slightly anxious to see how close they got to Quinto on the 6" figure, but I don't think I'll be buying any of the figures unless they hit clearance. I just can't stand the torso sculpt for the officers' uniform torso.

Tycho
04-13-2009, 09:09 PM
Yeah, I like the 6" better if only because the 3.5" seem rather cheaply made or lacking in detail.

Part of it is because Nero is the only figure that's even kind of close to an interesting alien, but Romulan / Vulcan sculpts aren't too different from human sculpts. There is no Ephant Mon or Tessek figure in this line (YET).

I imagine if things sell, they will do that beast creature that's shown on the ice planet in the preview.

Star Trek has had some interesting aliens in its history, most notably the Borg, though Klingons and Andorians can appear more detailed and notably different from humans in some regards. The Swarm (Voyager) were really cool and different, too - as was the Macrovirus. TOS had the Gorn, Mugato, Horta, and so on.

This movie (so far as we know as of yet) does not showcase them, but that could still let the movie rock as Federation-Romulan battles often do. Then the strength of the toy line would be in vehicle fighter toys (shuttles, fighters, and whatever that era's equivalent of the Romulan Scorpion Fighter was.

It is with hopes that Playmates will take a vehicle and playset line further, that I bought the 3.5" figures.

They are doing just that with their Terminator line and making the Hunter-Killer, an A-10 Thunderbolt, a helicopter, and a towtruck, plus the Terminator motorcycles, and T-100's, though there seem to be considerably less action figures (I think).

I may just "eat" the cost of the 3.5" figures I bought, if the line doesn't really go any further from here. I had a very good opportunity to pick out the best paint jobs from fresh stock and make sure I got all the current Bridge and Transporter parts that are currently out. That they are not complete, suggests a 2nd or 3rd wave of figures are coming - or rehashes with the missing bridge and transporter parts. Playmates was smart in that they could go either way with that.

LTBasker
04-13-2009, 09:43 PM
Well, there are supposed to be some aliens tossed in amongst the Starfleet cadets and officers, IIRC, so may have a good chance at those "Tesseks" and "Ephant Mons." I didn't realize Playmates was making an A-10 for Terminator, found a pic and it looks pretty great, though. I'll -have- to pic that up (huge fan of the A-10). After seeing that, if they made a shuttle for Trek that'd be far too tempting to pass up.

Tycho
04-13-2009, 11:09 PM
I'm so with you on being a fan of the A-10 Thunderbolt (Warthog) plane.

That's why Powerglide is one of my all-time favorite Transformers and I loved seeing the A-10's in action in Michael Bay's film.

It looks like McG likes them as much as we do, as John Connor's pilots might be flying them against the machines in the Future Wars.

Yeah, Star Trek needs some fighter ships and things not so "passive" as plain shuttlecraft (like TNG had the Goddard).

In truth, Star Trek DOES HAVE THAT as many species have fighter craft in the Dominion Wars. But the general public that did not stick with Deep Space Nine through its slow start doesn't have any clue in regards to that. The other thing is that main characters didn't do much flying of fighter craft in Star Trek, except for Picard and Data taking that Scorpion fighter off the Reman command ship in Nemesis, and some of the smaller crafts used in Insurrection (scout class vessels, etc.) In fact, for Insurrection, they could have covered some of those, but I think Playmates - who had the license then - went with entirely larger figures for which ships would have been too expensive to tool up.

LTBasker
04-14-2009, 03:18 PM
I'm so with you on being a fan of the A-10 Thunderbolt (Warthog) plane.

That's why Powerglide is one of my all-time favorite Transformers and I loved seeing the A-10's in action in Michael Bay's film.

It looks like McG likes them as much as we do, as John Connor's pilots might be flying them against the machines in the Future Wars.

That's awesome, and another reason for me to see it. :D Absolutely loved their inclusion in Transformers, one of the best scenes of the movie. I wish the toys were more accurate, though. They kind of ruin the unique beauty of the A-10.

Yeah, Star Trek needs some fighter ships and things not so "passive" as plain shuttlecraft (like TNG had the Goddard).

I want to say the new movie may have a Starfleet fighter, but I'm not entirely sure. The only type of small craft that can be seen clearly is the usual transport shuttle. Still, it's quite a nice looking ship and far more visually provocative than the TNG type 6 shuttlecraft (which the Goddard was).

I'm a little worried that NewForce has had something happen, they don't answer emails and their voicemail is the only thing that picks up on their phone now, and it doesn't have an outgoing message.

Have you had any luck getting ahold of them yet? I noticed there are a couple new posts on the front page regarding upcoming items. I tried to ask the other guy about it on TrekToy, but turns out updating NFC's Trek Reference site doesn't require as much contact with Rick as I assumed it would.

Also, in some good news, DST's newest shipping update hasn't pushed the Ent-D back any further, AND Chuck from DST is offering up a boxed Ent-D for a fundraiser auction on TrekToy. I truly believe this will be out this year. :D

JediTricks
04-14-2009, 06:39 PM
I saw the Playmates Enterprise bridge playset with Kirk figure at TRU today. I think it was $27. After seeing pics of both this and the transporter playset I thought they'd be more substantial. The "floor" of the bridge is just a play mat, though I'm not sure if it's cardboard or felt.

The Kirk figure looked okay, couldn't really tell about the articulation, though the eyes were little uneven.It seems to be a vinyl mat, from what the pictures suggest. I suspected it was just a mat, screen, and chair, but the pics they had been sending out were saying something else. Now we know what's really going on, and it seems sleazy to me. It's taking BAF too far.

Tycho
04-14-2009, 10:53 PM
Target had these too today. I didn't buy them though I plan to (they got in the Terminator Salvation toys as well - and I'll post about those in the appropriate thread).

They had 2 bridges and 2 transporters, but in looking at the window boxed figures, I thought I could score better figures of Kirk and Scott if I just waited for another shipment.

They are somewhat playmats (less so the transporter) - but it even says so on the box. Hopefully they aren't real "playmats" but rather at least cardboard, but hopefully some kind of soft plastic with a little thickness to it - not something that's going to get wrinkles.

I DO indeed intend to purchase these. I have 4 favorite genres and Star Trek is one of them, so while I might wish I had room for Batman, Indiana Jones, or GI Joe things, I know I never will. So Star Trek, Star Wars, Terminator, and Transformers it will be.

Jayspawn
04-15-2009, 09:43 AM
No Trek signs at any of my Targets or Wal-Marts. My TRU only has the role play, 7" figures and playsets so far. No Enterprise yet.

JetsAndHeels
04-15-2009, 09:26 PM
My local Target had these in today. I picked up Kirk and Uhura, but passed on everything else. If I find Spock and Nero I will get them also.

Wal-Mart only had the Enterprise ship, and for some reason they were placed on the same shelf as the Star Wars vehicles.

Tycho
04-15-2009, 09:39 PM
What size ST figures did you get, J&H?

Uhura is harder to find (not that I didn't stumble on freshly stocked full-cases). But in watching the figures and how they're doing since release, I've noticed less or missing Uhuras in what is stocked. The movie will make or break this line.

I think if the movie is popular with kids and general audiences, then they'll have to amp up the toy line and even make ships for them. Like I said, I suspect an additional wave(s) of figures is planned so everyone gets issued in their Academy uniforms where appropriate, as well as regular SF duty uniforms from TOS. I like how Abrams kept consistent with the uniform look of TOS. The Enterprise is something else, though. Are they trying to tell us that they don't have cardboard spaceships by the 23rd century???

Anyway, I like the 6" better, but got both lines because I am hoping for an extensive vehicle and playset line for the 3.5".

The Terminator figures are bigger and on-par with Star Wars figures so far as I can tell. I opened the Hunter-Killer which comes with a T-700 and posed it next to some of my loose SW figures and it is the same height and even taller than Cade Skywalker (not a hard feat to pull off). But the Terminator looks great next to even the too-large Baron Fel figure. But personally I think my Quinlan Vos is going to terminate my Terminator.

Yes the Terminator figures CAN be used as YVH-Killer Droids!!!

Thus, so far Star Trek's 3.5" is the weakest of the new toy lines, with Star Trek 6" and Terminator 6" and Terminator 3.75" all fairing better.

Still glad I bought the Trek, though.

JetsAndHeels
04-15-2009, 09:57 PM
I got the 3.5" figures. There were not any 6" figures available.

jedimastergeorge06
04-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Went to walmart a little bit ago and they took the 3 inch star trek figures from the endcap to the isle where the rest of the toys are and put the 6 inch figures on the endcap.And they had the enterprise but no playsets yet...i wonder when they are suppose to come out. So i can say this....im not big on the 6 inchers...i think ill stick with the 3 inch. But playmates could have done better with all of these figures. To bad hasbor doesnt have the contract or whatever to make these figures cause they would have been alot better but there not that bad at the same time. I guess im on the fence on these guys.

Tycho
04-16-2009, 03:24 PM
It's best to buy all the 3.5" when you see them freshly stocked so you can

1) Get all the bridge parts released thus far
2) pick out the best paint jobs
3) make sure you can get Uhura

The playsets are out. I turned down the transporter and bridge at Target the other day because I am looking for better paintjobs on the pack-in Kirk and Scotts.

It's only a matter of time before I buy them. I've heard of people on this site finding the sets at TRU, but I myself have seen them at Wal-Mart.

I guess I'd also recommend buying the ship (though I haven't done so yet). There are plans to release a Romulan ship to compliment it. However, I am not a fan of the new Enterprise design.

JediTricks
04-17-2009, 06:34 PM
There's a comparison image to the Ep 2 Clone in this review:
http://mwctoys.com/REVIEW_041309a.htm

Crawford also mentions that the hips on these figures are limited by the tunics, making it difficult for them to sit in their bridge chairs. If that's the case, shame on Playmates for ONCE AGAIN making Trek figures that don't work with the supplied seating!

Tycho
04-17-2009, 07:31 PM
He took some really nice shots of these figures in that review. It makes me even happier I bought them.

Yeah, he's right. The 3 3/4" Star Wars have successfully grown to like 4".

I know I've been watering mine. Yoda still seems stunted for some reason, though.

jonthejedi
04-18-2009, 08:16 AM
I bought old original Spock today at my SuperWalMart(they also had the Enterprise). I had to pick thru 6 of 'em before I got a decent paint job(eyes were worse than what Zizzle used to do on POTC). I found Sulu to be the rare one.

Jayspawn
04-18-2009, 09:42 AM
Got batteries plugged into my Enterprise. Pretty good set of sounds -though the red alert alarm is annoying.

jedibear
04-18-2009, 11:00 AM
Well. the new Trek stuff is finally trickling in up here...
TRU got in the 12" (Command Collection) figures, the 6" (Warp Collection) figures and the 3.75" (Galaxy Collection) figures.

KMART got in the Enterprise, the Phaser and the Transporter as well as the Warp Collection. All feature the "Try Me" packaging...good and loud sounds...I thought the Transporter was....alright but not worth $30.

I picked up one 12" (Kirk) and one 6" (Spock) figure....I couldn't find one single 3.75" figure worth getting...they really look bad. Terrible paint apps, strange body proportions...they look more like cheap knock-offs than efforts from a major toy company. However, the 6" ones and the 12" ones look pretty good.

I'm pretty impressed with the 12" figures. The costumes look well made with a good selection of materials and the accessories are well-rendered.

The packaging, is complimentary to what Playmates produced before (for those who keep the figures boxed for display) and shows off the figure quite well. But it is NOT collector friendly and basically has to get destroyed to remove the figure and accessories.

Naturally for the price point here, the base body is not up there with premium company offerings, but it is solid, has tight joints and some good points of articulation that help achieve some good poses...the legs/hip joints and the neck come to mind here.

The sculpt is a little soft and the paint is decent. In the case of Kirk here, Pine seems like another one of those pretty-boy actors whose likeness is hard to pin down for a sculpt, but this effort has him in there. I looked at the two Spocks and the McCoy while at the store, and they all have pretty decent sculpts too.

The outfit features some layering for the shirt...inner sleeves to give them some weight and help hide the joints when posing and a black dickey that can be pulled up a bit to get the right look. It's fastened in the back with a thin strip of velcro that flattens well and looks good. It's a move I wish some premium companies would consider in lieu of over-sized snaps. The boots are molded as part of the lower leg, with the pants (made of sturdy black fabric) are tucked into the tops. A side note here....with Kirk, this is the toughest part to get looking decent...it take some careful futzing to get the pant legs to tuck in well and get a good look. Having the boots molded helps avoid that "doll clothes" look and the molded creases look real good. I also really like the hole in the sole of one boot that fits onto the peg/stand. Pretty neat trick borrowed from smaller action figures that works really well.

Haven't opened the 6" figure yet...but it looks good in the package...clean paint apps.

I'm hoping to really like this movie...and if so, I'll pick up some more of this collection... here's a look at Kirk...

Blue2th
04-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Nice pic JB.
I saw these at TRU the other day. They aren't too bad. I always thought Playmates did a halfway decent job on their 12" figures for the money. I still have every one of the past 12" Star Trek figures except "Piece of the Action" Kirk and Spock exclusives $$.

Remember Kirk as Romulan 12"?
The pattern on these shirts kinda reminds me of a Romulan weave. They probably did that on purpose.

Ji'dai
04-18-2009, 12:53 PM
I picked up 3.5" Uhura yesterday. I went through eight trays of figures at two Walmarts and couldn't bring myself to buy the other figures. They look okay but the paint jobs are terrible. I'd like to have the main crew in their duty uniforms but I'll be passing on the cadet versions. I might get the transporter and bridge playsets if they go on sale when the movie is released.

LTBasker
04-18-2009, 04:10 PM
Some pretty interesting news from DST today, as another wave of figures will be making their way to TRU including an exclusive.

http://www.artasylum.com/blog/

- McCoy (TOS rerelease)
- Spock (The Cage)
- Kirk (Exclusive - Dress Uniform - Rerelease from the 2-pack with Khan)

jedimastergeorge06
04-18-2009, 04:27 PM
Went to toysrus today and saw a whole section filled with every thing for the movie. Picked up the tranporter and took it home and then later took it back...its not all that great...to me its not worth 30 bucks..maybe when it goes on sale or clearance some time down the road and when it comes to the bridge same thing..ill wait.

Tycho
04-18-2009, 04:31 PM
With the bridge and transporter sets, I'm just waiting until I discover good paint jobs on Kirk and Scott.

Depending upon the store (Target at least) you'll have a 90 day return priviledge. So keep your receipt. Get a good paint job when you see it. Then buy it again on clearance but return it with your old receipt.

This message has been brought to you by Timothy Geithner.

jedibear
04-18-2009, 05:32 PM
Nice pic JB...
The pattern on these shirts kinda reminds me of a Romulan weave. They probably did that on purpose.

Thanks, blue...

Yeah I do remember that figure...I would have never made that connection...I think the difference here is that the pattern is tiny Starfleet emblems. That means Playmates had to lay out for special fabric for these shirts...

Went back to TRU today...all the small figures were gone, the main characters in the 6" were gone and just McCoy remained in the 12"...

Think I'm gonna pick up a Spock figure if they turn up again up here...

Here's another couple shots of Kirk...

Tycho
04-18-2009, 06:00 PM
A closeup of his face might be nice, so I can see how good the quality is.

I've never seen the 12" in person.

LTBasker
04-18-2009, 06:40 PM
There are some really good closeups in Crawford's 12" review.

http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_041709a.htm

I think the 12" looks pretty close to Pine, at least alot closer than the smaller scales. Still quite a bit soft, though.

Tycho
04-19-2009, 12:16 AM
I got out to Toys R Us tonight and purchased the bridge and transporter sets, along with Terminator products, and saw the Trek 12" for my first time.

They DO look quite good. But there's not much interesting about them yet.

Interesting 12" Trek would include:

Nemesis Remans and the Viceroy
Nemesis Romulans
Data with multiple access hatches and accessories, alternate heads
Jean-Luc Picard with removeable uniform top and the vest underneath
Worf with multiple accessories, and possibly with spacesuit from First Contact
Odo with multiple shape-shifting arms, legs that could be attached
Quark with detailed clothing
Gul Dukat with detailed uniform, alternate red eyes, or battery-lit ones
The Borg (multiple sculpts, different phases of assimilation)
The Borg Queen
various Klingon characters in uniform
Jem Hadar
The Founders with multiple variant legs and arms that simulate shape-shifting
Gorn
Mugato
Salt Vampire
Horta
Shran (and other Andorians)
Captain Archer (his pocketed jumpsuit uniform is more interesting than reg SF)

etc.

JediTricks
04-19-2009, 02:34 PM
He took some really nice shots of these figures in that review. It makes me even happier I bought them.They are nice shots, but the figures look like crap in a hat. Nero could fit in with some SW guys, but the rest look downright sad.

I know I've been watering mine. Yoda still seems stunted for some reason, though.I think you've just forfeited your right to speak from now on.

The pattern on these shirts kinda reminds me of a Romulan weave. They probably did that on purpose.Actually, in Crawford's review of the 12"ers, he shows that the pattern is the Starfleet Arrowhead, which my first impression is that I think is kind of stupid. But Playmates did a good job of expressing it on those figs.
http://mwctoys.com/REVIEW_041709a.htm

Some pretty interesting news from DST today, as another wave of figures will be making their way to TRU including an exclusive.

http://www.artasylum.com/blog/

- McCoy (TOS rerelease)
- Spock (The Cage)
- Kirk (Exclusive - Dress Uniform - Rerelease from the 2-pack with Khan)Oh man, what a bummer. That Spock really should have had the Cage-era head design, that would have been an instant buy from me.

Went to toysrus today and saw a whole section filled with every thing for the movie. Picked up the tranporter and took it home and then later took it back...its not all that great...to me its not worth 30 bucks..maybe when it goes on sale or clearance some time down the road and when it comes to the bridge same thing..ill wait.Yeah, the commercial linked in this thread made the thing look pretty lame. Sorry it cost you $30 to find out it sucks. What about it don't you like, specifically?

LTBasker
04-19-2009, 03:51 PM
Oh man, what a bummer. That Spock really should have had the Cage-era head design, that would have been an instant buy from me.

Not only that, but also his left hand is doing the Vulcan salute with no extra hands apparently present, he has TOS accessories and his insignia shows command instead of science. The color of the uniform is about the only thing right with the figure.

DarkArtist
04-19-2009, 04:31 PM
spotted these today in a TRU run. look alright, might get a few, not sure about the playsets yet, but they do seem interesting.

would definately get a Sulu figure and see if I can make a decent custom of Harold for a Harold and Kumar set. (just need to see if I can find a figure close enough for Kumar)

jedimastergeorge06
04-19-2009, 06:08 PM
Went ahead and got the bridge playset at toysrus.And i didnt realize it till later but the toysrus that i got it at is the same exact place where i got the old next generation bridge playset wayyyy back when.. anyway... i like this new playset better than the new transporter. But nothing is better than the next generation playset. With real working doors and authentic sounds and lights...i love it.
I also have the old transporter and its better than the new one..but with the new one it does look more like a transporter room than the old one but theres something about the old one....i guess its because you can fit about three figures or so into it and they can "transport" at the same time and with this new one one figure "transports" at a time.
Theres only one place that i can put the new bridge and thats on top of the entertaiment center in my room...otherwise i would have to place on a big table in the basement. I wish the playmat wasnt a playmat lol but maybe something harder or more stable i guess...i kinda had to tape down a little of the playmat cause some of it was sticking up. But otherwise not a bad playset. I would give it a 8 1/2 out of a 10.

figrin bran
04-19-2009, 06:50 PM
They are nice shots, but the figures look like crap in a hat. Nero could fit in with some SW guys, but the rest look downright sad.

Thank you for saying that, JT! I don't like the Terminator figures either and have been starting to wonder what the appeal is for everyone. I'm sure many will not agree but both lines don't seem that much better than Infinite Heroes which seems to be everyone's prime example of 3.75" crap.

I took a look at 3.75" Sylar Spock yesterday and he doesn't seem to have neck articulation. Or is that just a case of Playmates hiding the joint very well?

Snowtrooper
04-20-2009, 01:06 PM
Saw the ST line at Target yesterday and I'm just not really that crazy about it. Maybe the movie will get me more interested, we'll see.

Rik Duel
04-20-2009, 01:59 PM
I was expecting these to be terrible but they weren't bad in person. I saw a Scotty, both Spocks, and McCoy that all looked quite good actually, but Kirk is unbelievably bad, looks like a coked up Willie Aames. (Is there any truth to those conspiracy theories about how they deliberately half-*** main characters like Luke Skywalker at first so they can sell them again later?) And is it wrong that I bought a Pike only because I saw one that I thought looked like pudgy third season Shatner?

figrin bran
04-21-2009, 01:10 AM
I like how Michael Crawford called the Kirk figure Miles O'Brien on his site's review of the 3.75" figures.

It seems as if Uhura is the best in the 3.75" line thus far?

LTBasker
04-21-2009, 03:34 PM
A packaged picture of the Enterprise-D showed up on DST's blog:

http://www.artasylum.com/gallery/enterprise-d-packaging/

Blue2th
04-21-2009, 03:48 PM
It looks nice from the top view. Like to have it. I shall. :thumbsup:

Darth Duranium
04-23-2009, 01:32 AM
Wow... nice paint

LTBasker
04-23-2009, 02:04 AM
TrekMovie.com has posted a very detailed look at several recently announced TOS stuff coming from DST, as well as better pics of some of the already known stuff.

New stuff includes:
-TOS rerelease 2-packs (Kirk/Uhura, McCoy/Sulu, and Scotty/Spock)
-Packaged pictures of Science and Geological TOS tricorders
-BIG FREAKING MONDO HUGE pics of the Mirror, Mirror and HD Enterprises (bottom of the page)
-Amazon Exclusive Trouble with Tribbles Electronic Command Chair Kirk (beware of photoshopped-cloned tribbles)

As well, DST's blog revealed a picture of the Salt Vampire as they have apparently finally found the prototype.

http://www.artasylum.com/blog/2009/04/may-previews-solicitations/

Ya know, I find it incredibly odd that the green-shirted Kirk from TOS wave 1 is probably well within the top 10 of least desired figures of all time, and yet they not only feel the need to make a new one based on a difference with the shirt, but also the need to rerelease the first one with a chair.

I think a shirtless Kirk would actually sell better. Not that I want one. Maybe.

Tycho
04-24-2009, 02:32 AM
I think a shirtless Leeta from DS9 would sell really well. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
04-24-2009, 01:44 PM
I saw these in person at TRU finally, and was blown away by their mediocrity. And they only had the role play Phaser, and it looked like cheap garbage.

Thank you for saying that, JT! I don't like the Terminator figures either and have been starting to wonder what the appeal is for everyone. I'm sure many will not agree but both lines don't seem that much better than Infinite Heroes which seems to be everyone's prime example of 3.75" crap. My guess is that there is a lower expectation on this scale, and any price lower than SW is considered "good enough". I wouldn't go so far as to say ST and Terminator figs are IH quality, those are some of the most abysmal designs I've seen for a major license in the last decade, but yeah, they're closer to that line than to SW.

I took a look at 3.75" Sylar Spock yesterday and he doesn't seem to have neck articulation. Or is that just a case of Playmates hiding the joint very well?Old-skool cut joint neck, I believe, but I have read that he does have that.

A packaged picture of the Enterprise-D showed up on DST's blog:

http://www.artasylum.com/gallery/enterprise-d-packaging/And then I swooned and fainted.

TrekMovie.com has posted a very detailed look at several recently announced TOS stuff coming from DST, as well as better pics of some of the already known stuff.

New stuff includes:
-TOS rerelease 2-packs (Kirk/Uhura, McCoy/Sulu, and Scotty/Spock)
-Packaged pictures of Science and Geological TOS tricorders
-BIG FREAKING MONDO HUGE pics of the Mirror, Mirror and HD Enterprises (bottom of the page)
-Amazon Exclusive Trouble with Tribbles Electronic Command Chair Kirk (beware of photoshopped-cloned tribbles)

As well, DST's blog revealed a picture of the Salt Vampire as they have apparently finally found the prototype.

http://www.artasylum.com/blog/2009/04/may-previews-solicitations/

Ya know, I find it incredibly odd that the green-shirted Kirk from TOS wave 1 is probably well within the top 10 of least desired figures of all time, and yet they not only feel the need to make a new one based on a difference with the shirt, but also the need to rerelease the first one with a chair.

I think a shirtless Kirk would actually sell better. Not that I want one. Maybe.There's a pic of 2-pack Uhura in there, everything about the deco looks horribly wrong.

I kinda want that HD TOS Ent, but I'll wait until I see it in person since I already have the mold and am a tad underwhelmed by it. If they revamped the stand, that might go a long way towards getting my $$$.

Yeah, green-shirt Kirk is so not wanted at this point. Still, it's accurate to the Tribbles ep.

Jayspawn
04-26-2009, 08:22 AM
DST seems to be putting a lot of love towards Trek. I'm pretty stoked about their efforts. Cant wait! -for the Enterprise D. The pics just keep getting better and better.

plasticfetish
04-28-2009, 02:49 AM
Haven't been out looking for a while now, but I wandered through a TRU and a Target today, and got a good look at the new Trek line... and even bought something.

I'm not all that impressed by the 3-3/4-inch line either, which has less to do with the simplistic sculpts and articulation, than it does with the loose paint on almost all of the figures that I saw. I have no problem with cutting back on detail and making a kind of "basic" figure, but if you're going to do that, it seems that you need to do it perfectly.

The playsets look okay... but it's hard to tell because of the packaging.

The 6-inch figure line was more appealing to me, and I even picked up a Spock figure (young Spock), but there's a similar problem with sloppy paint here. I passed on Kirk because the few that I saw were cross-eyed. (Unless that's part of the film or something. lol)

The roll-play stuff seemed like fun to me actually. I like the price point that they've gone with, and think that most of it will do well once the film has dropped.

The 12-inch figures look good to me also, but I think that both stores are selling them for around $29.99, which seems a bit high, but who knows... if the film is great, I may fold and buy one of them. Part of me wishes that they'd gone with that old 9-inch scale instead though. I still have a bunch of those, and would have liked to add to my collection.

JediTricks
04-28-2009, 06:34 PM
Saw the playsets in person at Target yesterday, as well as the Playmates ship which felt like an empty box and the packaging looked backwards from every direction.

The bridge looks uber disappointing on the box back, like 6 pieces including the mat. That's some nerve.

The transporter looks more significant, and has an actual gimmick going on (simple stuff, 19th century magician's tech), but still looks pretty meh.

The 6" figures did nothing for me, and they still haven't stocked anything but the new fuggo phaser.

Tycho
04-28-2009, 09:49 PM
I got my DST Worf and Gowron 2-pack in the mail today. Worf is using the same head as Nemesis Worf, but the Gowron figure is amazing!

I wish Sisko and Dukat weren't cancelled. My guess is that they might be made either as single figures, or put in different 2-packs. However, that particular pairing makes the most sense. So maybe it will come out in a later release.

DS9 4th season 2 pack possibilities:

Worf and Gowron
Sisko and Dukat
Bashir and Garack
Jadzia and Quark (finally - they need to make him and selling the re-used Jadzia helps)
O'Brien and Rom (Rom worked in engineering)
Kira (Bajoran Uniform) and Legate Damar (Kai Winn is a possibility, too)

Using Damar could reduce the cost of the Cardassian uniform sculpt.

And Wrath of Khan figures need to continue, with a little help from other TOS movies:

Chekov and Terrel in white and red spacesuits
Kirk and Spock in white and red spacesuits (TMP)
Carol Marcus and McCoy in away team gear (use Kirk's AT body)
David Marcus and Saavik in away team gear
Jaquim* and Spock in black robes
Lt. Valeris (using Saavik body) and Spock re-issued in black Vulcan robes (UDC)
Scotty in radiation suit - issued somehow

*Khan really needs a follower in order to be a super-human leader.

Anyway, I could go on about other TOS Trek Movies but I really want WOK completed first. Then I want to make sure I get that Kruuge and Malz figure 2-pack somehow (split up with other characters maybe?).

AmanaMatt
04-29-2009, 06:41 PM
In the new Star Trek TOS blu ray release there is an offer for a 'free' classic Sulu as he appeared in the ep 'Where no man has Gone Before' so basically, he is in a blue shirt.....its not a big deal but figured I would mention it!

jedibear
04-29-2009, 09:03 PM
Well, our local TRU is finally gearing up for the summer movies with a big front-of-store display for Star Trek and Terminator, so I finally got a chance to see both collections up close.

The Terminator collection is pretty hideous...soft, yucky poorly-painted figures (all three scales), garish packaging and pricy to boot....a big pass on everything there...

The Star Trek collection fares a little better. I still don't care for the "Galaxy" collection (the small scale figures)....the proportions are just too weird and while the paint jobs were marginally better than the first batch I saw, they still weren't great. The "Warp" collection all looked pretty good, but I see a lot of potential peg warming with all of these...the $10 a piece price tag is gonna keep the casual collector away. I know I only picked up Kirk and Spock in this scale...I wouldn't pop 10 a piece for the secondary characters, especially sporting their "cadet" (ahem-boring) looks.

The playsets and role play toys look incredibly cheap (but they're not). It's kind of lame that the communicator just has 2 phrases and some sounds and the others don't fare much better. The Enterprise looks okay on the box, but there are no windows on the packaging for a peek at what you're really getting...too bad.

I do like the "Command" collection...all of them are pretty well done with decent outfits and headsculpts that are SW Hasbro-like in that they look like the character more than they do the actor, but the paint is clean and well applied. I picked up the Spock figure today to go with the Kirk one I picked up earlier in the month and I'm impressed...it's getting me more in the mood for the new film....

JetsAndHeels
04-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Those are some nice pics Jedibear. Thanks for sharing.

I have yet to see any of the command figures at retail anywhere...are they an exclusive to TRU, or are they supposed to be available everywhere?

jedibear
04-29-2009, 09:22 PM
Thanks, jets...

I don't think they are exclusive to TRU or anywhere.

JetsAndHeels
04-29-2009, 09:34 PM
Thanks, jets...

I don't think they are exclusive to TRU or anywhere.

Cool, thanks for the info.

JediTricks
04-30-2009, 03:09 AM
In the new Star Trek TOS blu ray release there is an offer for a 'free' classic Sulu as he appeared in the ep 'Where no man has Gone Before' so basically, he is in a blue shirt.....its not a big deal but figured I would mention it!Doesn't it have the mock-turtleneck collar as well?

DarkArtist
05-01-2009, 10:29 AM
picked up Spock and Uhura yesterday. the figures are decent and might work well as background characters in a Cantina Diorama or something. I'm tempted to collect the full series and buy the bridge and transporter playsets.

JediTricks
05-01-2009, 06:31 PM
The bridge looks like a major ripoff. I might buy the transporter if I see it on half-price clearance though.

AmanaMatt
05-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Doesn't it have the mock-turtleneck collar as well?

Yeah, it sure does!

DarkArtist
05-03-2009, 10:30 AM
these figures are actually pegwarming at the Walmart by me. the pegs are 100% full with figures stacked on top of figures and the vehicles as well as the 6" versions. I'm wondering if the push will come next weekend whent he movie is released or will these soon afterward hit the discount aisle.

Ji'dai
05-03-2009, 11:36 AM
I really haven't been looking, but there are food promos out there too. I was given this box of Cheez-its with a Captain's T-shirt mail-way offer. There are probably better offers out there. I wonder if any cereals have Trek toys in them.

figrin bran
05-03-2009, 11:59 AM
I've seen Frosted Flakes boxes with communicator lights inside.

Also, TRU has a sale on Star Trek toys this week.

Tycho
05-03-2009, 01:51 PM
I wonder if any cereals have Trek toys in them.

They tried that once with Tribbles and it was a complete ecological disaster!

LTBasker
05-03-2009, 03:03 PM
There are quite a few food promos out right now. There are light-up command, engineering, science, Klingon and Romulan badges inside cereals. Some cereals are also offering red and blue versions of that shirt, and others are offering USB flash drive armbands. I've only seen the armband offer in person, though.

Doesn't it have the mock-turtleneck collar as well?

Here's pics of the Sulu - http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=12&itemid=14265

The problem with it, though, is that he has the command insignia rather than science.

JetsAndHeels
05-03-2009, 08:59 PM
Burger King is also offering Star Trek drinking glasses.

figrin bran
05-03-2009, 09:26 PM

They're going to have "Super D" toys just like with ROTS.

I found/bought Uhura today and was going to use it as custom fodder but will probably just keep her as is.

Tycho
05-04-2009, 02:41 AM

Las Vegas style?

I'll take the Cardassian Ale, and a Warp Core Breach.

Their Klingon blood wine was dilluted, IMO.

So Burger King got their beer & wine license? Are they serving in their drive-thru? :D

LTBasker
05-04-2009, 03:14 PM
Well, hope this is a good sign that the Enterprise-D will be shipping soon. The administrator (FHC) of TrekToy.com has received a packaged copy of it, which was actually DSTChuck's personal copy. It's a prize for TrekToy's upcoming fundraiser raffle for autism research. It was supposed to be going on by now, but FHC wanted to make sure he had the Ent-D and other prizes in hand due to a problem last year with Master Replicas.

Tycho
05-04-2009, 04:08 PM
I wonder if there are any pics out there of Playmates Wave 2:

crew in cadet or duty uniforms that haven't shipped yet.. (each size category)

the Romulan ship..

Any vehicles or further playsets?

I'm sure they're holding back to see how the movie will do - but from the account of JediPartner who's seen it already - a lot of people are going to like this movie!

AmanaMatt
05-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Yeah, the Trek playmates stuff is just sitting in the aisles; the days of trek selling kiddie toys are over, i'm afraid!

Tycho
05-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Star Trek is a hard-sell for kids.

It was always aimed at a more sophistocated audience as it used science-fiction to talk about politics, psychology, sex, environmentalism, race relations, foreign diplomacy, science ethics, etc.

Actually, that's what makes it so good.

Now WAR and passion is what makes a lot of our hearts really start pumping. Deep Space Nine was the Trek which I think really delivered upon that, but with the show's first slow start for its initial 3 seasons, many did not stick with it until there were huge space battles and even World War One style ground assaults. Also, the show may not be appropriate to show the afterschool audience with episodes that explored religion, lesbianism and homicidal tendancies amongst other things.

But as the next generation of Trek fans comes into more economic power, they are the action figure collectors around their 30's and raised on Star Wars. Thus there is a market for Trek action figure merchandise, but it is smaller than Star Wars,' and very collector based.

Hasbro likes to cite sales to kids being very important to the health of the Star Wars line. I'm sure they are right. They're the leading toy company for a reason. The kids just don't go online and post all night and day like 30 year old collectors do, so we get a distorted picture of who might be SW fans.

Since the start of Clone Wars Animated, I have continuously seen more and more kids in the Star Wars toy isle. I was there to buy Wioslea and Trinto Duaba with Dice Ebegon, also knowing and purchasing Pons Limbic (Brainiac). The kids could care less as long as I got out of their way so they could buy Anakin, Obi-Wan, General Grievous, and some Clone Troopers.

Both Star Trek and Terminator are moving pretty slow now, I think. I bought a lot of it (well all of it, plus duplicates for diorama scenes) at the get-go. Now we'll have to wait and see how they do with movie support. Incidentally, X-men Origins is still slow moving, I think - even with that movie out already and kids going to see it. But then I never really got into the Super Heroes play pattern and Batman owns it anyway because of all his cool gadgets and the best rogues gallery.

Blue2th
05-04-2009, 06:59 PM
If Playmates did a cutesy line of animated Star Trek figures and Terminators, then maybe the kids would buy them no?

How do you make a cute T-800?

figrin bran
05-05-2009, 02:31 AM
Star Trek is a hard-sell for kids.

It was always aimed at a more sophistocated audience as it used science-fiction to talk about politics, psychology, sex, environmentalism, race relations, foreign diplomacy, science ethics, etc.

Actually, that's what makes it so good.

Now WAR and passion is what makes a lot of our hearts really start pumping. Deep Space Nine was the Trek which I think really delivered upon that, but with the show's first slow start for its initial 3 seasons, many did not stick with it until there were huge space battles and even World War One style ground assaults. Also, the show may not be appropriate to show the afterschool audience with episodes that explored religion, lesbianism and homicidal tendancies amongst other things.

But as the next generation of Trek fans comes into more economic power, they are the action figure collectors around their 30's and raised on Star Wars. Thus there is a market for Trek action figure merchandise, but it is smaller than Star Wars,' and very collector based.

Hasbro likes to cite sales to kids being very important to the health of the Star Wars line. I'm sure they are right. They're the leading toy company for a reason. The kids just don't go online and post all night and day like 30 year old collectors do, so we get a distorted picture of who might be SW fans.

Since the start of Clone Wars Animated, I have continuously seen more and more kids in the Star Wars toy isle. I was there to buy Wioslea and Trinto Duaba with Dice Ebegon, also knowing and purchasing Pons Limbic (Brainiac). The kids could care less as long as I got out of their way so they could buy Anakin, Obi-Wan, General Grievous, and some Clone Troopers.

Both Star Trek and Terminator are moving pretty slow now, I think. I bought a lot of it (well all of it, plus duplicates for diorama scenes) at the get-go. Now we'll have to wait and see how they do with movie support. Incidentally, X-men Origins is still slow moving, I think - even with that movie out already and kids going to see it. But then I never really got into the Super Heroes play pattern and Batman owns it anyway because of all his cool gadgets and the best rogues gallery.

Around here, X-Men Origins figures are flying off the shelf and Wolverine and the X-Men flying off even faster. However, Marvel Universe seems to outsell both of them.

Darth Duranium
05-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Trek stuff at Hallmark...

http://www.hallmark.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/article%7C10001%7C10051%7C/HallmarkSite/KeepsakeOrnaments/2009/Hobbies%20and%20Interests/KO_HOBBIES_STARTREK

I like all 3, but that TMP Klingon cruiser is outstanding! Drool...

Seeing as Pike's in the new flick, seems appropriate to release him this year... nothing reminds me more of Christmas than debilitating radiation burns.;)

JediTricks
05-06-2009, 02:27 PM
The reality is that stores want to have stuffed pegs for this movie, once it's released they are hoping kids are going to want the product and they'll have enough to satiate them. Personally, I have a feeling this is going to turn out like last year's Speed Racer line, a total flop, but I suspect it'll move at first.

I picked up the Tricorder the other day, because I'm a sucker for role play. It has 8 sound and light combinations, 3 for each of the 2 buttons, and 1 each for opening and closing the top panel. Pushing the side button springs open the front panel which releases the top panel. There are 5 LEDs, 2 on the buttons panel and 3 below it with lenses, those lower ones light in different order depending on the button pushed, the right one is random, the left one is ordered. Some of the sounds are ok, a couple are very quick which seems like a rip, but overall it's decent, has some Trek touch.

In terms of design, the thing is covered in cheap plastic chrome which is a shame, it looks really chintzy. The shape is small, like a TNG tricorder, and has modern curves, but takes some cues from the TOS tricorder. Under the lid are a pair of rather cheesy stickers, even for Playmates they are a tad drab. Both panels are spring-loaded, but the top hinge and spring don't work well after a few flips, the hinge gets sticky and the spring gets weak, so you have to flip it up manually.

The biggest design flaw is that the back has HUGE copyright text that takes up the lower 3rd and sticks out like a sore thumb in the chrome. Also, the packaging has an FCC sticker above the battery hatch, and when you take it off it leaves a TON of adhesive behind.

figrin bran
05-07-2009, 01:27 AM
Well, just like with Speed Racer last year, Star Trek along with Terminator Salvation have their own front store display area at TRU.

That'll probably only last for a few weeks until the ROTF toys hit the shelves, however.

Jedi_Kal-El
05-07-2009, 03:56 PM
I'm not really all that displeased with these figures. I'll end up probably be picking up all of the smaller versions. The bridge is a bit of a cop out seeing as how good a job they did on the Enterprise-D version back in the day. I agree that this line probably won't last too long, but I'll pick up what I can that I want in the mean time.

pbarnard
05-07-2009, 04:33 PM
My question is how many figures does it take to complete the bridge and are all of them out yet? How many duplicates etc.

JediTricks
05-07-2009, 05:28 PM
I believe it's 18 figures to finish the bridge.

DarkArtist
05-08-2009, 01:18 PM
I hope that if these figures do well that Playmates might consider adding characters from the movies as well as Next Generation, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise.

LTBasker
05-08-2009, 01:37 PM
As long as DST has the license for everything non-Abrams, Playmates can't touch those.

pbarnard
05-08-2009, 01:42 PM
I believe it's 18 figures to finish the bridge.

Thanks for the answer. So how many are duplicates and been released to date?

Jedi_Kal-El
05-09-2009, 09:29 AM
I hope that if these figures do well that Playmates might consider adding characters from the movies as well as Next Generation, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise.

That would be nice...

As long as DST has the license for everything non-Abrams, Playmates can't touch those.

....unfortunately you're right LT. Still it would be cool to see some updated stuff from the other series because Playmates did do some nice work when they had the line back in the 90s.

jonthejedi
05-09-2009, 12:44 PM
I would like to see the orbital drop suits realized as well.

Jedi_Kal-El
05-12-2009, 01:24 PM
I would like to see the orbital drop suits realized as well.

Now that I've seen the film there are several different versions of characters they could do.

Tycho
05-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Now that I've seen this movie, I think kids and adults are going to buy this line up almost like they're Star Wars! That movie was so good and I think it's by far the No.1 film in America. I'd expect it will keep that crown until Terminator: Salvation opens. Geeze it's a great movie!!!

Yeah, I want more figures now for sure:

Black Shirt Kirk
Orbital Sky Dive Kirk
Delta-Vega Survival Gear Kirk
Cadet Kirk

Orbital Sky Dive Sulu with sword

Romulan terrorist / soldier

Delta-Vega Survival Original Spock

Delta-Vega Outpost Scotty
Scotty's creature friend

Spock in formal uniform
Sarek
Amanda

Duty Uniform McCoy

Duty Uniform Chekov

Cadet Uniform Uhura

Admiral Pike in wheelchair

Captain Robert April

Targ creature from Delta-Vega
Giant Insect creature from Delta-Vega (looks like the Acklay sort-of)

SF shuttlecraft vehicle
Spock's red matter fighter ship

Romulan torture lab playset (Pike's rescue)

Romulan ship replica (I believe they've already made this but haven't shown it)

Romulan Orbital Platform replica

USS Kelvin

clone157
05-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the answer. So how many are duplicates and been released to date?

Near as I can tell of the 18 necessary to complete the bridge, there are only 7 figures that have been released. I dont know when we will see series 2, but I am worried that it might be a while before we will see it. I'm more worried that there might be a wave 3 we might not see. That is the problem with movie lines, we are inundated with the first wave to the point that the stores might not sell enough to necessitate ordering more.

Tycho
05-13-2009, 03:43 PM
I think it will. The movie is No.1 in the US right now and the theaters sell week-day tickets and everyone is talking about it - and finally I've seen KIDS grabbing up figures in the Star Trek section of the toy isle. It looks like (new) Spock is the most popular with young fans.

My list of the 20 or so additional fgures I want are more than what is required to finish the bridge playset. And I think we also need another "T-section" piece for the transporter playset (the additional control station). These might be repeat sections that have already shipped, but to do dioramas, I am already buying multiple copies of some figures (Uhura, new Spock), so there's always getting them that way.

I think Playmates was very shrewd, because if the movie or line falters, they can re-sell the same figures they have put out, with the new bridge stations that you cannot purchase quite yet. I think the opposite will happen. Star Trek is going to be one of the Top movies this summer. Asked a month ago, I wouldn't have been so sure. But Terminator, another Playmates license, will be as well, and Hasbro has 3 with Wolverine, Transformers (predicted highest money-maker of the summer), and GI Joe.

Oh, and Transformers (which I'm a huge fan of) will make the most money but not be the best movie. Orci and Kurtzman who wrote it, might still come away with the prize (but for Star Trek), but I predict that will go to (Dark Knight) Nolan for Terminator, my first and only pick for favorite of the summer (again, Transformers will make more money though).

But back to Trek, we could see all of the toys on my wish-list posted above realized in plastic. Nothing is really too far-fetched and it's also a reasonable sized line (2 vehicles for the figures, 2 beasts, 4 electronic ship replicas, 20 more figures in 2 or more additional release waves).

clone157
05-13-2009, 11:47 PM
F-toys needs to start working on some of these new ships before I take out a knife and start wittlin'.

figrin bran
05-14-2009, 10:44 AM
The quality of a film does not always translate into toy sales.

Here in Los Angeles, the Playmates toys aren't moving at all. Even during TRU's weeklong 2 for $10 sale on basic figures, it didn't seem to make a dent in the front of store display.

The line doesn't even seem to be selling as well as last summer's Indy line did initially. Not a good sign at all!

Rik Duel
05-14-2009, 04:38 PM
The figures are just kind of...junky. I hope they get better like the Indy line did by the time it got to the Last Crusade figures. Although I actually have never seen a young Spock here in L.A., maybe kids like him. I think Kirk would sell better if he didn't look like Donny Most. The others are not very appealing to kids.

Tycho
05-14-2009, 05:47 PM
Well, the problem with Trek figures (visually) has often been that they are just humans in colorful jumpsuits. But then you are discounting Playmates' previous line with the Mugato, Gorn, the general look of Klingon or Cardassian armor, and so on. However, there ARE usually enough humans in colorful jumpsuits to comprise a large portion of many-a-wave.

Now this movie presents a chance to change that, such as the orbital sky-dive gear for Kirk and Sulu, not to mention Sulu's weapons pack. These figures should be removeable helmet types, too - thus offering one more piece of gear (which I'd NOT package them wearing, so as to increase the perceived value of just how many pieces of plastic you get to buy with your money. MMMMmmmmmmmm - plastic :love:

However, the Trek figures are rather skinny on top of it. Playmates also did Terminator figures this season, and they are of better quality and thickness.

figrin bran
05-17-2009, 02:27 PM
On sale at Target this week -

Basic figs 6.29
6" figs 8.99
Enterprise 22.99
Bridge playset 19.99

JediTricks
05-17-2009, 04:46 PM
I think the Role Play is moving a little, I've noticed TRUs and Targets that only had phasers, then phasers and tricorders, now have a few communicators as well. Still, those pegs are stuffed.

This new Enterprise is larger than the Enterprise E and yet Playmates' version has even less detail!

Beast
05-17-2009, 04:51 PM
Tycho, you forgot "Massive Hands Allergic Reaction" Kirk. You need him!! :p

JediTricks
05-17-2009, 05:39 PM
Tycho, you forgot "Massive Hands Allergic Reaction" Kirk. You need him!! :p
His tongue is wabbiged!

Tycho
05-17-2009, 08:34 PM
On sale at Target this week -

Basic figs 6.29
6" figs 8.99
Enterprise 22.99
Bridge playset 19.99

Hmmm. I think I'll get my Enterprise ship now.

I will also get a price adjustment on my bridge playset. I'll have to check what they're doing with the Transporter as well - hmmm - not to mention all the figures I bought. Glad I save those receipts!!!:thumbsup:

figrin bran
05-17-2009, 09:05 PM
Tycho, I forgot to post the sale price of the Transporter. I just got back from Target and noticed it was 23.99. (bought the bridge)

the role play toys are on sale as well but I'm not sure at what price.

Tycho
05-17-2009, 11:01 PM
Hmmm. I only save $6 on each item (bridge / transporter) so that's $12 total.

I'm checking the prices I paid for the figures. I bought almost all of them at Wal-Mart.

I'll see if it's a good deal for me to price check or not.

{update} I'm probably not going to bother at this point. My returns would require me to visit another retailer all to save around $12-14.

figrin bran
05-18-2009, 01:10 AM
For $12, I would go to all that trouble but that's just me, Tycho.

So I bought the bridge playset not so much for the Trek figures as I won't be buying enough of them to have a full crew. However, the set will be very useful to display other figures.

The pack in Kirk is quite disappointing though as his elbow, knee and ankle articulation is severely restricted.

Tycho
05-18-2009, 07:45 AM
I'm pretty sure the pack-in Kirk is the same as the basic Galaxy Collection Kirk. I didn't need to open my carded Captain Kirk yet, but the bridge figure and transporter figure (Scotty) are in every way the same as the basic figures.

Since it would take me at least an hour to go to several stores and expend gasoline in doing so - and even minimum wage is $8 an hour, for $12 I'm better off getting a McJob than worrying about the Trek stuff. But if I wind up at these stores anyway, I guess I'll take care of it.

UPDATE: I've opened my Star Trek 2009 NCC 1701 Enterprise from Playmates. Unfortunately, Playboy's Playmates didn't bring this ship to me, but Playmates Toys company did. Now that this misperception has been cleared up and we've taken note of the absence of scantily clad ladies surrounding me while I post this, I'll review this beautiful ship.

The 1701 is almost the exact same proportions as Art Asylum's stunning 1701-A: the saucer and warp nacelles that is. Curiously, the secondary hull (drive section) of the ship is 1/3 smaller. It doesn't look wrong for the look of the movie, and with history having been changed, maybe Starfleet isn't building as large of ships, or technology has allowed for smaller drive sections. I don't know. The Kelvin (20 years earlier) had about 40 shuttlecraft in its hanger. Was it larger than the 1701? I guess it could have been.

Anyway, the sound effects are cool and clear, right from the movie. However, Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto's voices are just not iconic at this stage. Too bad AA didn't make a ship with Shatner and Nimoy's voices. (It could have said, "Starfleet: this is Kirk. We've discovered new bargains at Priceline.com.")

However, I'm very glad I bought this ship. There are plans (no pictures that I've seen yet) to bring out the Narada (Nero's ship). I also heard the Kelvin is going to be made. I have hopes for the mining platform (that connects to the Narada??? - that'd be sweet!) But the Jellyfish fighter (Original Spock's ship) is also coming out - but I hope that is made for the 3 3/4" figures (along with a Starfleet shuttlecraft).

LTBasker
05-19-2009, 01:47 PM
DST has moved the Enterprise-D's release date to June 3rd, but Rick posted at TrekToy that they should arrive in the U.S. in 2-3 weeks as the boat has left HK.

DarkArtist
05-19-2009, 04:57 PM
picked up McCoy today to find out that his arm was broken in the package. will have to return him tomorrow and hope to get another

Tycho
05-19-2009, 05:55 PM
Dark Artist: which McCoy? (and sorry about your trouble)

Darth Duranium
05-19-2009, 11:54 PM
There are plans (no pictures that I've seen yet) to bring out the Narada (Nero's ship).

There's a pic here, Tycho

The mulched peacock :)

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=669634&highlight=narada#post669634

JediTricks
05-20-2009, 03:02 AM
The 1701 is almost the exact same proportions as Art Asylum's stunning 1701-A: the saucer and warp nacelles that is. Curiously, the secondary hull (drive section) of the ship is 1/3 smaller. It doesn't look wrong for the look of the movie, and with history having been changed, maybe Starfleet isn't building as large of ships, or technology has allowed for smaller drive sections. I don't know. The Kelvin (20 years earlier) had about 40 shuttlecraft in its hanger. Was it larger than the 1701? I guess it could have been.The Kelvin doesn't have an official size, but assuming the saucer and secondary hulls are the size of the newEnterprise, then the Kelvin and this new Enterprise are nearly 2.5 times the size of the TOS 1701, the newEnterprise is actually larger than the Ent-E if you can believe it (it's longer at the bow, and thus much wider and a remarkably taller keel).

Tycho
05-20-2009, 03:15 AM
Thanks. It's hard to visualize the Narada as a toy, but I guess that's the picture. And I definitely want it!

I just saw the movie again tonight.:love:

RooJay
05-20-2009, 05:54 AM
Anyone know if there's a second series of 3 3/4" Trek figures planned? I'll be needing at least the following:

Kirk in the black undershirt he wears for most of the movie
Kirk in his skydiving gear
Cadet Kirk
Academy Spock
Blue Shirt McCoy
Yellow Shirt Chekov (considering it's the only outfit we see him in in the movie)
Academy Uhura
Sulu in skydiving gear
Scotty in his Delta Vega duds
Keenser
Academy Pike
Admiral Pike (with wheelchair)
Sarek
Ayel

...and it would also be nice to have:
Kirk in civilian clothes
Vulcan Spock
Delta Vega Spock Prime
Amanda
McCoy in civilian clothes
Red Shirt Keenser
Admiral Barnett (planning a custom Madea figure..)
Cadet "Cupcake"
Olson in skydiving gear
Captain Robau
George Kirk
a generic Romulan thug
generic Red Shirt (male, female or both)
generic Blue Shirt (ditto)
generic Yellow Shirt (and again)
and it'd be nice to have a figure of that alien Enterprise crew member

I was planning on making some easy customs of the main crew with simple head swaps, but I'd rather save the time and money if I knew they were already planning on releasing those versions. I wanted to use the Starfleet cadet body to make Academy Spock and Pike, but I noticed that they uniforms are considerably different.

Also, just wondering - why was this thread merged? I had been hoping to find a discussion of the Playmates figures, but I have absolutely zero interest in the Art Asylum/Diamond Select figures.

Tycho
05-20-2009, 12:18 PM
There has to be. There's 18 stations necessary to complete the bridge playset, and while they could re-release the same figures with new parts to sell more (a good back-up strategy - and I already needed an extra Spock and Uhura in their duty uniforms anyway) - I think the plan was to keep the line going. Your suggestions are great and they echo mine...

Bring them all on!!! I'm buying!

They also have to make the 2 Delta Vega beasts, a Jellyfish fighter for Spock, and a Starfleet shuttlecraft to take the new recruits out from the Academy and for orbital skydiving launches with Pike at the controls and Kirk and Sulu jumping!

ADDED HOURS LATER: Man I am so glad to have this many Star Trek figures and playsets and ships to collect. I hope the line sells like a hit and it can continue with beasts and vehicles for the figures to fit in (Jellyfish, Starfleet shuttlecraft). Star Trek rocks and TOS crew is the greatest:

Archer - Kirk - Picard - Sisko - Janeway
T'Pol - Spock - Riker - Kira - Chakotay
Reed - Sulu - Data - Worf - Tuvok (though competition for 2nd officer, though)
Mayweather - Sulu - Ro - J. Dax - Paris (Dax has to win best pilot here since she's got so much more experience and combat training)
Sato - Uhura - Data - O'Brien - Kim (Androids are just superior in many ways. That's all there is to it.)
Reed - Chekov - Worf - Worf - Tuvok (Klingons kick butt, and Worf became disciplined and quite a complete moral compass, too)
T'Pol - Spock - Data - J. Dax - HoloDoc (best scientist is too tough to call. I'll have to think on that one.)
Phlox - McCoy - Crusher - Bashir - HoloDoc (easily since he's programmed with everything the other ones know already)

Hmmm. This did end up with TNG having the most talented crew between Worf and Data. That surprised me.

DarkArtist
05-20-2009, 04:34 PM
Dark Artist: which McCoy? (and sorry about your trouble)

Thanks Tycho,

i picked up Cadet McCoy from the 3.75 at Walmart yesterday but returned him today and got a replacement. just frustrating that figures sometimes get damaged on shipping.

RooJay
05-21-2009, 01:53 AM
I've been noticing recently that (what appear to be) the later shipping figures seem to have much improved paint jobs, and the likenesses actually seem to be improved because of that. Now, if only they could release an improved sculpt of Kirk - I'd be more than happy to buy him again if they did.

Tycho
05-21-2009, 11:09 AM
I've organized my dioramas with the existing figures that are out now. Yes I bought duplicates in some cases:

3.5"

BRIDGE: (at the end of the movie)

Kirk
Spock
Sulu
Scott
Uhura
(scene needs McCoy in blue duty uniform, Checkov in yellow)

TRANSPORTER: (Leaving for the Narada away-team mission)

Scott
Spock
Uhura
(scene needs Kirk in black)

RESCUE ABOARD THE NARADA:

Nero
Capt. Pike
(scene needs Kirk in black coming to the rescue, possible Romulan pirates)

HOPING FOR A STARFLEET SHUTTLECRAFT FOR THE FIGURES:

Cadet McCoy (he was actually in street clothes though)
Cadet Checkov (he was never shown there)
(scene needs Kirk in street clothes, Uhura as cadet, maybe Pike in formal uniform)

6" figures

IT'S A ROMULAN ATTACK! (set on the bridge of the USS Enterprise)

Capt. Pike
Spock
Cadet McCoy
Sulu
(scene needs a 6" black shirt Kirk)

RESCUE ABOARD THE NARADA:

Nero
Capt. Pike
(scene needs Kirk in black coming to the rescue, possible Romulan pirates)

Yeah: I'm doing this scene twice. It's an important piece of the reason Kirk becomes promoted to Captain.

SPOCK MEETS SPOCK ("Good luck.")

Ambassador Spock
Commander Spock

ACADEMIC BOARD MEETING (at Starfleet Academy):

Cadet Uhura
Cadet McCoy
Cadet Checkov
(scene needs 6" Cadet Kirk, Admiral Pike, formal Spock)

Leftover figures I can save for the next movie:

3.5" Kirk, Ambassador Spock (except he won't be in the next movie and so I might have to use him in a scene from this movie. Should I buy another 3.5" Spock?)

6" Kirk, Scott - easy to use for the next film that might come around.

DarkArtist
05-21-2009, 11:38 AM
Anyone know if there's a second series of 3 3/4" Trek figures planned? I'll be needing at least the following:

Kirk in the black undershirt he wears for most of the movie
Kirk in his skydiving gear
Cadet Kirk
Academy Spock
Blue Shirt McCoy
Yellow Shirt Chekov (considering it's the only outfit we see him in in the movie)
Academy Uhura
Sulu in skydiving gear
Scotty in his Delta Vega duds
Keenser
Academy Pike
Admiral Pike (with wheelchair)
Sarek
Ayel

...and it would also be nice to have:
Kirk in civilian clothes
Vulcan Spock
Delta Vega Spock Prime
Amanda
McCoy in civilian clothes
Red Shirt Keenser
Admiral Barnett (planning a custom Madea figure..)
Cadet "Cupcake"
Olson in skydiving gear
Captain Robau
George Kirk
a generic Romulan thug
generic Red Shirt (male, female or both)
generic Blue Shirt (ditto)
generic Yellow Shirt (and again)
and it'd be nice to have a figure of that alien Enterprise crew member

I was planning on making some easy customs of the main crew with simple head swaps, but I'd rather save the time and money if I knew they were already planning on releasing those versions. I wanted to use the Starfleet cadet body to make Academy Spock and Pike, but I noticed that they uniforms are considerably different.

Also, just wondering - why was this thread merged? I had been hoping to find a discussion of the Playmates figures, but I have absolutely zero interest in the Art Asylum/Diamond Select figures.

I hope there is a second wave of figures coming. these are really decent figures and I would love to see a better likeness of Pike and Kirk in the black cadet shirt.

Jayspawn
05-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Any new version of Kirk would be great. The likeness just sucks.

figrin bran
05-24-2009, 12:50 AM
I finally saw a Warp collection Uhura today so I bought her along with Warp Kirk.

The week long sale at Target seems to have had a positive effect as the pegs at my local stores are quite bare and ready for a restock. They even sold quite a few playsets.

Tycho
05-25-2009, 04:37 PM
New Force Comics has the M-113 Salt Vampire from Diamond up for pre-order. The 7" figure is $11.99. Not bad at all. - Oh and it's a New Force exclusive presumably.

I also just finished talking with JediTricks. I asked him about rumored Playmates Trek figures, and he reported the following RUMORS.

There will be 4 waves - first revealed at Comic Con.

The FIRST 3 waves will total 20 figures. (10 are what you've been buying now). All I heard of are 3.5" figures.

There will be figures for August, Oct, and Nov / Dec (Christmas).

These will be split into 2 waves (Aug, Oct):

Kirk Delta Vega
Kirk Cadet Uniform
Original Spock Delta Vega
Spock on Vulcan (older Academy Spock?)
Spock as Starfleet Academy instructor
McCoy in blue duty uniform
Sulu in Orbital Sky Dive Uniform
Chekov in yellow duty uniform
Uhura in cadet uniform
Romulan First Officer (General something)
Sarek

The Delta Vega Wolfrilla creature (the smaller one)

This would complete the Starfleet Academy figures for the most part.

This completes the bridge crew as well.

It begins Delta Vega figures that could use Kirk, Scotty, the little alien, and the large insectoid beast.

It begins the Orbital Sky Dive figures that could at least use Kirk and maybe Romulan Pirates for certain.

It begins the heroes' family figures that might include Amanda, Wynona Kirk, George Kirk, and maybe Capt. Rabeau of the USS Kelvin.

Jayspawn
05-29-2009, 10:01 AM
I saw the TRU Eclusive Dress Shirt Kirk, "Where No Man..." Spock and standard McCoy. Each $12.99. Didnt think DST would have this set out so fast.

Really want to see Kirk & Spock from "A Piece of the Action"

Tycho
05-29-2009, 11:33 AM

I didn't hear about those. I'm not sure I'm that interested, but depending upon how they look, I might be tempted.

Am I the only one here who wishes that they'd go back and make more figures from Enterprise like the Xindi Reptillian?

Oh - and in stores, Kirk and Spock in the 3 3/4" are really sold out in a lot of stores.

Jayspawn
05-29-2009, 11:37 AM
They're not really making Kirk & Spock from "A Piece of the Action" yet. Would be cool though.

AmanaMatt
05-30-2009, 10:54 AM
I saw the TRU Eclusive Dress Shirt Kirk, "Where No Man..." Spock and standard McCoy. Each $12.99. Didnt think DST would have this set out so fast.

Most of these are reissues, though they never did 'Where no Man' spock before....collar is only thing different

Paint apps on these are too harsh - kinda hiding the sculpts underneath

Hadnt seen the pic of the salt vamp -sorry if its been posted...comes out Sept 09 according to their site

Jayspawn
05-30-2009, 11:22 PM
NewForce is offering a preorder on the Salt Vampire $11.99 Not bad. Not coming with accessories methings.

I went ahead an picked up "Where No Man.." Spock and Dress Uniform Kirk.

AmanaMatt
05-31-2009, 04:47 PM
NewForce is offering a preorder on the Salt Vampire $11.99 Not bad. Not coming with accessories methings.

I went ahead an picked up "Where No Man.." Spock and Dress Uniform Kirk.

Thanks for the 'heads up'

figrin bran
06-06-2009, 02:08 AM
Action Figure Insider had a Q&A with Playmates regarding the Star Trek and Terminator Salvation lines. http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main/?p=3468

RooJay
06-06-2009, 02:27 AM
Very cool news! Seems that, unlike some other toy companies, Playmates seems very willing to feed fan demand rather than trying to deny that demand exists. I'm very hopeful that this model will work for them, and that other manufacturers will take note. Even if they end up failing at retail ultimately, it sounds like we fans will pretty well make out anyway as far as this line is concerned.
Can't wait for the new series!:thumbsup:

Tycho
06-06-2009, 03:06 AM
Yup! And vehicles, too: Spock's Jellyfish and a StarFleet Shuttlecraft most likely.

Ji'dai
06-07-2009, 07:28 PM
I was in a Walmart in Indianapolis Saturday and they had their Trek figs priced at $4.97. It was wasn't a sale as far as I could tell, that was the retail price.

Tycho
06-08-2009, 02:31 AM
I'll need to pick up a low-priced Cadet McCoy and Cadet Chekov. They look like they could be in Club Outlander and not too recognizeable in popularly known Star Trek uniforms.

I think Barnes and undamaged Marcus, maybe masked John too, can also work for more members of Coruscant's population.

Darth Duranium
06-08-2009, 04:13 PM
The figs and bridge seem to be keeping the pegs toasty-warm around here, but the ship seemed to sell well. How is it where you are?

Jedi_Kal-El
06-08-2009, 05:28 PM
The figs and bridge seem to be keeping the pegs toasty-warm around here, but the ship seemed to sell well. How is it where you are?

The only figure I have yet to see anywhere in stores is Uhura. I've seen the 6" version once or twice but I'm not collecting those.

Everything else is either sitting or gone with Bones, and Checkov and the two playsets being the biggest warmers.

Tycho
06-09-2009, 11:39 AM

The transporter and bridge are readily available, as is the ship.

The figures of Kirk and especially Spock and Uhura have sold well. As has Pike and Sulu for that matter.

Cadet Chekov is the biggest pegwarmer. You can find some Scotty, and McCoy, as well as Nero.

The 6" has sold very well except for McCoy and Chekov. It's the Academy uniforms. However, I predict that Kirk will sell in his Academy Uniform alright. But the Kirk in all black will be by far the most popular.

LTBasker
06-11-2009, 05:49 PM
A new wave of TOS figures showed up for pre-order on TRU's site the other night, including the first brand new character to TRU's waves.

Kirk (Mirror, Mirror) - http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3531475
Spock (Mirror, Mirror) - http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3531470
Kang - http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3531476

Jayspawn
06-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Kang! They can easily make different TOS Klingon heads for the already made Korr body. Hopefully they have Captain Koloth in the works. I'm definatly getting Kang though.

Tycho
06-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Yup. I think I'm down for Kang, myself. Thanks for posting, Basker!

LTBasker
06-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Anytime!

Some recent bad news figure-wise, though. The Borg line with the build-an-alcove has been canceled.

http://www.diamondselecttoys.com/store.asp?p=item.asp%3FItemNo%3D79032%26CategoryID %3D335
http://www.diamondselecttoys.com/store.asp?p=item.asp%3FItemNo%3D79031%26CategoryID %3D335

It's not all that surprising, though, they were going nowhere with them. Every single time they were asked about the alcove's progress, they would respond that they were still trying to figure out how to split it up. I bet they still haven't figured it out.

Tycho
06-12-2009, 12:16 PM
That's too bad. So many of the Trek figures I wanted from DST (Kruuge, Malz, now the Borg sets) have been cancelled.

On the other hand, the M-113 Salt Vampire has been brought back.

I always create dioramas. I see it being pointless to collect action figures and not display them - and then display them paired up correctly with "a scene" of related figures.

To that end, I've been considering ordering a whole 2nd set of TOS crew members to help me spare figures to be paired with the M-113 creature and Kang. (I'd love it if the re-release of Sulu had a sword and I could pose him fighting Kang!)

Anyway, no decision as of yet, but NewForceComics lets you order 6 of the 7 TOS crew member repacks (just missing Chekov). I already have this crew, but I'm not sure if I have enough or 2nd editions of them would be useful.

RooJay
06-16-2009, 02:13 AM
Pics of new Star trek movie figures for this fall!:

http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=fignews2.setup&category=actionfigures&topic=64&show_article=148&nl=1

Tycho
06-16-2009, 12:51 PM
Dang I'm loving it! These figures (AND BEASTS!!!) look even better than the first wave - especially the Orbital SkyDive figures of Kirk and Sulu!

I'm buying all of them except the 12", although I might start getting Trek 12". They look pretty good.

JetsAndHeels
06-16-2009, 01:53 PM
I like the Sulu and Kirk in their space suits...the rest are easy passes for me.

JediTricks
06-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Am I the only one here who wishes that they'd go back and make more figures from Enterprise like the Xindi Reptillian?Pretty much, yeah.

A new wave of TOS figures showed up for pre-order on TRU's site the other night, including the first brand new character to TRU's waves.

Kirk (Mirror, Mirror) - http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3531475
Spock (Mirror, Mirror) - http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3531470
Kang - http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3531476Nice find. Kang's skintone is a little too red though.

Anytime!

Some recent bad news figure-wise, though. The Borg line with the build-an-alcove has been canceled.

http://www.diamondselecttoys.com/store.asp?p=item.asp%3FItemNo%3D79032%26CategoryID %3D335
http://www.diamondselecttoys.com/store.asp?p=item.asp%3FItemNo%3D79031%26CategoryID %3D335

It's not all that surprising, though, they were going nowhere with them. Every single time they were asked about the alcove's progress, they would respond that they were still trying to figure out how to split it up. I bet they still haven't figured it out.Doesn't surprise me in the least. Now is totally the wrong time for Borg stuff, which is never as popular with buyers as it is with AA designers.

Rumor has it that DST is going to shutter everything Trek that isn't TOS-based.

Dang I'm loving it! These figures (AND BEASTS!!!) look even better than the first waveReally? I think the beasts look pretty weak, very low-detail in sculpt and paint.

Tycho
06-17-2009, 01:10 AM
Rumor has it that DST is going to shutter everything Trek that isn't TOS-based.

That would really suck for a Niner fan like myself who wants figures as obscure as the whole crew in baseball uniforms so I can set up a ballfield diorama (with a Vulcan batter from The Logicians).

RooJay
06-17-2009, 01:39 AM
I wouldn't go so far as to say the beasts look weak, but I would have liked a little more detail as well.

I also really wish they would have taken to opportunity to do a resculpt on Kirk's head. Perhaps they just used the old head for the prototype images, and there is still time. Anyone know if Playmates is doing Q&As on a regular basis, and through which venue? I would be really interested in hearing them answer to that.

Spock's Academy Instructor uniform could also stand to be a bit darker in color as well (and I'm still wondering if I'll have to buy an extra to customize my own Pike in this costume as well, or if they'll ever getting around to releasing an official version?)

Keenser looks wicked cool, though! Can't wait to get him!

Tycho
06-17-2009, 01:47 AM
Roojay: I wanted Pike in this outfit, too. Moreso than Spock even.

Now since they made Keenser, I want Kirk, Old Spock, and Scotty in their Delta Vega gear!!!

Kirk and McCoy in their street clothes would also be cool.

Star Trek is still so cool this summer. I am totally planning to return to the theater to see it at least one last time (my 5th or 6th time already?) before it leaves theaters. I think it has been the most successful film this summer, too (before Transformers gets released anyway).

RooJay
06-17-2009, 06:25 AM
I'm really itching to see it again, too. Just so many other movies coming out soon that I want to see also.

figrin bran
06-23-2009, 12:29 AM
The Fall figures seem so much better. Hopefully they will see the light of day, however, as the peg warming situation seems pretty grim right now.

Tycho
06-23-2009, 12:42 AM
Hmmm. I could use another 3 3/4" Spock but he seems to be sold out everywhere down here.

RooJay
06-23-2009, 01:54 AM
I'll keep my eyes open - pretty sure I've seen a few Spocks around here.

Tycho
06-23-2009, 02:45 AM
Just let me know but don't buy it. I don't want to pay shipping for a Trek figure that may show up around here (maybe even by a store return). Plus I like to pick out my paint job if at all possible.

My guess is that the regular uniforms of Kirk and Spock, probably Uhura and Sulu, and Scotty, will all re-ship again with the newer waves.

Blue2th
06-23-2009, 08:37 PM
I haven't been buying any of the new Playmates figures, but I do notice that Spock is pretty much been wiped out at most stores in my area. He's a popular figure.

At the recent DST Question & Answer they mentioned they are thinking of doing a smaller line.
I think they could save a lot of plastic, but would the detail and quality suffer?

Question:

Hi. I wanted to say great job on all that you have done. I am very impressed by your company. Everything that I have seen you do is top notch. I especially like your star trek figures, and everything you have done in minimate form. I liked the new Star Trek movie, but have to say I am disappointed with the 4″ line and play sets Playmates has offered us. I am more of a fan of the 4″ scale and 12″ scale compared to any other size, especially since you can have more room for displaying and could do more scale play sets/vehicles. Now my question is could you do a 4″ scale line of star trek figures/vehicles/play sets etc? I love the detail and articulation in your figures and know no matter which series/movie you would make from I would collect them all!

Answer:
DSTChuck: Hey two happy fans in a row — I’m on a roll! We have considered the $” scale for Trek and there are some folks internally really pushing it. Me I am not convinced yet and if we did, do we still run the larger scale..I just don’t know BUT we’re thinking about it.

I just opened my Shran, and I must say the detail is really nice. I like a few of these figures and plan to open the ones I have (mostly Enterprise figs)
If they could somehow emerge the detail of the 6" into the 4" (3.75 actually), I don't think anyone could resist them.

RooJay
06-24-2009, 01:22 AM
I'd buy 3 3/4" from DST.

Tycho
06-24-2009, 06:11 AM
I'd buy 3 3/4" from DST.

I would too.

However, I want my DS9 crew complete in the 7".

But the figures could be sold for far less because the shipping weight of the 3 3/4" line is that much less than the 7".

And I've long wanted to have a massive Trek line with ships and playsets for the figures to interact with and with which I can start a war!

Old Fossil
06-24-2009, 06:31 AM
My guess is that the regular uniforms of Kirk and Spock, probably Uhura and Sulu, and Scotty, will all re-ship again with the newer waves.

Man you sure are optimistic... given the huge amount of first run product I've seen at stores, I can't imagine those newer waves being any easier to find than were the Indiana Jones Temple of Doom wave last year.

Blue2th
06-24-2009, 11:22 AM
Notice how he called it the $ scale. They must realize it's a big money maker.

I think they could definitely give Hasbro a run for the money if they kept the detail.

My new interest in the 7" line, I'd like to complete my Enterprise figures. Have the bridge set, but doubt if I can get pricey T'Pol and the science station.
I think you can still get Tucker in blue uniform over at Newforce.
DST said it's doubtful any Enterprise figures will be made again. Which is no surprise.
It is kind of a niche thing, as many haters as there are lovers. Good for me, maybe I can fill in the gaps pretty cheap.

Might get a few Movie figures. Got to have an Admiral Kirk. Wouldn't mind some of the crew from FC.

I also read that DST cancelled the Borg line. That's something I'd have bought, especially 7 of 9 as Borg and brown uniform. Maybe Data and the Queen. Everybody likes Borg's but I guess they didn't get enough orders from retail to justify production.

I just got rid of all my old Playmates 4" and 6" figures in one swoop. Over 87 of them loose. I kept my silver 7 of 9 which is a better sculpt by old Playmates standards and a couple of Transporter figures and stands. I'll miss them a little but I think a few DST figures will fill the void ok.

Tycho
06-24-2009, 11:40 AM
I'm keeping my old Playmates figures (the 5 3/4" size and some variant sizes - Deep Space Nine ran larger figures for example - 8" I think).

I intend to set up dioramas with them as well. Man I've got to get that house!

Blue2th
06-24-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm keeping my old Playmates figures (the 5 3/4" size and some variant sizes - Deep Space Nine ran larger figures for example - 8" I think).

I intend to set up dioramas with them as well. Man I've got to get that house!

I had about 20 of those larger figures, Warp Factors. Some had action features like Picard and Q could sword fight. Then there were the First Contact figures that were larger also.
I almost kept them...not! They were in storage some in baggies, most on the card in the garage for years and years, but after looking them over once again, I just couldn't get over how cheesy they were. I remember when they used to be the shizzle, but now ugh. So I put them all on the bay in three groups of, larger figs, TOS, and TNG and some guy in England feverishly bid and got them all, so that was easy. You couldn't do that with carded figures.
No way I made my money back, I thought they were worthless. Some fan in another country is probably giddy with this huge load of figures he got, he could otherwise have a hard time getting individually.

No way I'll be parting with my 9" inch and 12" nearly complete collections of Playmates figures though. I simply love those. Just missing POTA Spock and Kirk 12" that are still pricey to get.

AmanaMatt
06-27-2009, 10:52 AM

Kang - http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3531476

Kang is great news...sculpt looks great. Between this, the salt vamp, and the new tos classic wave, I am digging these trek items. Playmates can drop dead as far as I am concerned.

LTBasker
06-29-2009, 07:40 PM
More bad news, the Sisko with Defiant Command Chair set has been canceled. I emailed DST's Chuck for verification, and he confirmed it.

This is even more infuriating than the previous cancellations as I actually had two on preorder.

Tycho
06-30-2009, 05:55 AM
Tomorrow I plan to phone Rick at NewForce and find out what the heck I ordered that I can still expect to be coming:

Kirk and Spock from ST IV?

The M-113 Salt Vampire?

And maybe he has some inside info on whether Playmates will be actually releasing the continuation of its Star Trek 2009 collections (and Terminator Salvation stuff, for that matter).

LTBasker
06-30-2009, 12:36 PM
STIV Kirk & Spock seem to be okay, DST's blog had carded pictures of the set, which always seem to be a sign that they're being produced.

http://www.artasylum.com/gallery/voyage-home-figure-packaging/

Tycho
07-01-2009, 04:46 AM
I talked to Rick at NewForce on the phone today. He said they'll probably receive and ship the Kirk-Spock set in 2 more weaks (ST IV, Voyage Home).

He also said that NOTHING has been cancelled permanently yet. (Klingons from STIII, Dukat/Sisko, Borg Build-A-Diorama, etc.)

He said DST told him they are looking for other ways to bring about the products that were shown in new formats.

I don't know if that means we'll be able to buy Dukat by himself, or Kruuge will ship with another Kirk and Maltz will come with Scotty or Sulu. Who knows?

The greatest movie figures so far were from WOK. I so wish they would do 8-10 MORE figures from that movie and complete it! I'll be asking at Comic Con, you can be sure.

Jayspawn
07-01-2009, 11:23 AM
FYI! NewForce has the Enterprise D opener in stock for $33.99!

Got my order placed for that and a Salt Vampire.

JediTricks
07-04-2009, 12:59 AM
Very nice get, but is the Salt Vampire ready to ship? I thought that one was months away still.

Michael Crawford reviewed the DST TOS Tricorder, not entirely favorable but mostly acceptable: http://mwctoys.com/REVIEW_070309a.htm
I'm hoping to pick it up at SDCC for slightly under its $40.

AmanaMatt
07-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the 'heads up,' everyone on what is and is not hitting/cancelled

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-06-2009, 01:17 PM
For those collecting them, the new Star Trek figures have dropped in price at my wal-mart so i'd start checking yours. The 6'' figures are roughly 6.97 now; i can't recall what the smaller figures were. :thumbsup:

vger
07-14-2009, 06:11 PM
I believe the 3 3/4" figures are $4.97 at most Wal-Marts now.

Any news on wave 2 of the 3 3/4" figures?

LTBasker
07-22-2009, 08:51 PM
Well, finally some good news...

- Sisko with Command Chair is pulling a Princess Bride with only being "mostly dead," in the latest Q&A Chuck mentioned that if it pulls in enough pre-orders soon then it will be made. Although, he said it has "a long ways to go." Still, if you were interested but put off pre-ordering it then you might want to put in that pre-order ASAP.

- The Voyage Home Kirk/Spock 2-pack has been released and is in stock at NewForceComics, someone found one at their local comic store though and bought it; picture here (http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g220/sallah4life/julyblogpics/voyagehome2pack.jpg).

- The TOS crew 2-pack rereleases are also out, which the same person bought, and... well, nothing's really different except the uniform colors now match due to being made at the same time, but they only come with the bare minimum accessories. A nice little bonus, though, is that the phaser handles are painted the various colors that are available with the role-play version.

Accessories are:
Kirk- Gold/bronze-handled phaser, communicator
Uhura- Tricorder, Padd, communicator
Spock- Tricorder black-handled phaser, communicator
Scott- White-handled phaser, communicator
McCoy- Tricorder, communicator
Sulu- Tricorder, gray-handled phaser, communicator.

Pics:
Kirk/Uhura (http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g220/sallah4life/julyblogpics/tos2packkirkuhura.jpg)
McCoy/Sulu (http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g220/sallah4life/julyblogpics/tos2packmccoysulu.jpg)
Spock/Scotty (http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g220/sallah4life/julyblogpics/tos2packspockscott.jpg)

And, Toys R Us has revealed yet another wave on their site for preorder.
- "Romulan (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3559440)" (presumably the Romulan Commander that has been in limbo since being shown off at Toy Fair and hadn't been picked up by a retailer)
- Scotty (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3559436)
- Kirk (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3559439) (the picture shows Kirk from the Kirk/McCoy/Rand/Chapel wave, but it may be a mix-up)

LTBasker
07-31-2009, 02:18 AM
No new figure news, but I've grown tired of staring at DST's horrible photoshop job of the Sisko in the Command Chair picture. For those that haven't looked at it much, here it is (http://www.diamondselecttoys.com/store/product_images/7/81715/001_big.jpg). To make that picture, DST simply used a picture of Sisko from the Sisko/Dukat 2-pack, horridly edited out the orb, and applied a picture of the Season 7 head.

That said, I decided to make an attempt at photoshopping a better one, and came up with this in about 15 minutes (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/Jedigreedo/DefiantSiskoRemstr2.jpg) earlier today. As a subtle little bonus, it's made entirely out of DST promotional pictures. I know it's a bit of beating one's own drum, but I think it livens it up?

Tycho
07-31-2009, 07:29 AM
http://newforcecomics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=NFCC&Product_Code=stmovwv26in&Category_Code=PM

http://newforcecomics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=NFCC&Product_Code=stmov375wv2&Category_Code=PM

New Force Comics has the Trek 2009 figures from wave 2 up for pre-order.

It will help us all see these cases actually happen if we pre-order them.

Kirk in black shirt, the orbital sky-dive combatants, Keenser, the Romulan General that serves Nero, and more are included in this 3.5" wave which also includes parts to complete the bridge playset.

The 6" are also available for pre-order and this set includes the beast assortment with the furry beast and the insect (acklay) type monster that attack Kirk on Delta Vega.

You get one of each figure with your order. I'm hoping that any duplicate figures I need, like Kirk in the black shirt, show up in the stores.

JediTricks
07-31-2009, 02:39 PM
No new figure news, but I've grown tired of staring at DST's horrible photoshop job of the Sisko in the Command Chair picture. For those that haven't looked at it much, here it is (http://www.diamondselecttoys.com/store/product_images/7/81715/001_big.jpg). To make that picture, DST simply used a picture of Sisko from the Sisko/Dukat 2-pack, horridly edited out the orb, and applied a picture of the Season 7 head.

That said, I decided to make an attempt at photoshopping a better one, and came up with this in about 15 minutes (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/Jedigreedo/DefiantSiskoRemstr2.jpg) earlier today. As a subtle little bonus, it's made entirely out of DST promotional pictures. I know it's a bit of beating one's own drum, but I think it livens it up?
Nice work, and yeah, you did a much better job than they did.

I got to check out the DST captain's chair replica, as well as Tricorder and Communicator, at SDCC. The chair is very nice, though I'm not sure it's 4 bills nice. The communicator is frustratingly nicer than I hoped. The Tricorder is very fun, but VERY hollow which cripples my interest in it. Ultimately, I would have bought the role play from New Force, but they didn't bring ANY Trek to the show!!!

LTBasker
08-05-2009, 08:41 AM
Thanks, JT!

That's weird about NFC, but I guess they were letting the other stores that had exclusives one dabble in that area? Pure speculation, of course, as I have no idea if EE was selling them either.

Oh, a bit of related interesting info: on TrekToy it was revealed that NFC was lined up to have an exclusive TMP variant of the upcoming TWOK phaser, but Rick decided to drop it due to delays building up and it becoming financially riskier. Apparently it's still gonna come out, though, so it seems someone else picked it up.

In other news, DST tossed up pics of TRU's third wave with Kang today, and he looks great. He should stand out from Kor if anybody already has him, as Kang really seems to have better paint apps, and his disruptor is the correct color. http://www.artasylum.com/blog/2009/08/new-star-trek-figures/

For comparison, you can see a great pic of Kor here: http://www.gkmm.homepage.t-online.de/tos.htm (scroll down to wave 3)

Tycho
08-06-2009, 07:34 PM
I received my Star Trek IV (Voyage Home) Kirk and Spock 2-pack. They are really nice looking figures. Of course with his plastic shell robe, Spock's articulation below the waist doesn't do him any good, but it's nice that they didn't make him a salt-shaker.

They've done

TMP
WOK
VH

I really wanted to see the Klingons from SFS (Kruuge and Malz).

For FF, they could do Kirk and Spock in their SF hostage rescue uniforms for starters if they're so sure about sales for Kirk and Spock.

Undiscovered Country? Hmmm. They already have Kirk and Spock in the red uniforms. Spock in his black Vulcan robes is one possibility. Kirk with his Rhuepente Ice Planet Prison cloak on is an option. McCoy could come the same way, but I want to see Gorkin, Chang, Martia, and several of the interesting Prisoner Aliens.

Plus let's finish these movies, especially WOK since we're so far along!

JediTricks
08-07-2009, 03:12 PM
That's weird about NFC, but I guess they were letting the other stores that had exclusives one dabble in that area? Pure speculation, of course, as I have no idea if EE was selling them either. Nobody else had much Trek, my guess is DST said they were carrying them as exclusives at the show (their signage claimed that).

Oh, a bit of related interesting info: on TrekToy it was revealed that NFC was lined up to have an exclusive TMP variant of the upcoming TWOK phaser, but Rick decided to drop it due to delays building up and it becoming financially riskier. Apparently it's still gonna come out, though, so it seems someone else picked it up.Damn, I don't like hearing that, it sounds like Rick is starting to see trouble on the horizon for his store. I should give him a call and find out what's up.

In other news, DST tossed up pics of TRU's third wave with Kang today, and he looks great. He should stand out from Kor if anybody already has him, as Kang really seems to have better paint apps, and his disruptor is the correct color. http://www.artasylum.com/blog/2009/08/new-star-trek-figures/Dang, that skin color is hard to get past.

BTW, I dunno why I said 4 bills for the Captain's Chair, it's 27 bills. :eek:

LTBasker
08-07-2009, 03:35 PM
I wasn't sure what you meant either, but since NFC offers it at 2 grand, I thought maybe you were referring to 4x $500 "bills." :p

JediTricks
08-07-2009, 04:09 PM
I think I was going for 4 digits out, x-thousand $x000

Tycho
08-13-2009, 03:32 AM
Well I ordered my Playmates Wave 2 figures in both sizes from New Force Comics, but there's no word on whether these will ever materialize. I sure hope so because I want multiples of some figures and I'll need to buy them in stores versus straight cases all from NewForce. But Rick over there is cool so he gets my order and the line gets its early support from me.

Jedi_Kal-El
09-01-2009, 12:33 PM
Well I ordered my Playmates Wave 2 figures in both sizes from New Force Comics, but there's no word on whether these will ever materialize. I sure hope so because I want multiples of some figures and I'll need to buy them in stores versus straight cases all from NewForce. But Rick over there is cool so he gets my order and the line gets its early support from me.

I saw the link you posted those are cool figs Tycho. I hope they do show up at retail as I don't buy online like I use to.

figrin bran
09-20-2009, 12:11 AM
Clearance time at Target!

Basic figures are 4.98
8" (?) are 6.98
Enterprise and the playsets are 20.98

LTBasker
09-20-2009, 01:25 AM
Shame it's not Toys R Us, the Targets around here never stocked much Trek so they only have a handful of items left. Both TRUs, on the otherhand, have been stocked to the brim on 6" figures in a 12-peg layout for months. I'd really like for them to put a clearance into effect, as I would buy an opener of both Spocks.

Blue2th
10-06-2009, 12:38 AM
News:
STAR TREK - Live Long and Prosper

With nearly 40 years of heritage in the STAR TREK franchise, Playmates will build on the excitement generated by the blockbuster STAR TREK movie directed by J.J. Abrams with an offering of new toys and collectibles based on the 2009 movie and the classic original series catalyst STAR TREK. In addition to new waves of 3.75” action figures, role play accessories and iconic vehicles two new segments will be introduced in the movie line that should appeal to both the long time fan and the younger fans alike. The STARFLEET DEFENDER line includes a full array of movie characters articulated in small-scale in dynamic animated-style action poses. Collectible iconic mini space ships from the 2009 movie include the U.S.S. Enterprise, the U.S.S. Kelvin, and the Narada. And for the first time ever, Playmates will introduce 3.75” GALAXY EDITION action figures and diorama’s based on the classic Star Trek series. These figures will be highly detailed with authentic life-like likenesses and feature over 16 points of articulation. Iconic scenes from the most popular episodes will be depicted in two-figure pack dioramas. So jump on the U.S.S. Enterprise and Live Long and Prosper with the STAR TREK products for young and older.

Tycho
10-06-2009, 01:43 AM
That means there will be 3 3/4" Shatner figures? THE William Shatner?!

But honestly, I don't think I'm that interested in collecting another line of Classic Trek figures.

An all-plastic bridge playset could tempt me, as might interactive vehicles the 3 3/4" could fit in, but I already have:

Playmates TOS 5 3/4" figures (original plastic size of the carded '92-96 figures)

ArtAsylum / Diamond 7" TOS figures with the Salt Vampire and Romulan figures on their way, not to mention Kang as well.

I would so much more want Deep Space Nine to go this route. Imagine the battle dioramas one could make with those!

I think Diamond has all but given up on their line save for TOS - but maybe they just abandoned that? So many figures they had planned were cancelled. I just hope not. I want my Salt Vampire and my Romulans!

RooJay
10-06-2009, 02:51 AM
Sounds like great news to me! Hopefully the likenesses will continue to improve, though.

Tycho
10-06-2009, 04:29 AM
Then I could make dioramas of Priceline.com commercials! :crazed:

Old Fossil
10-06-2009, 07:32 AM
Wow. Maybe the movie line did better than I thought...

Tycho
10-06-2009, 12:23 PM
They had a lot in and while many places have a lot left in stock for clearance, compared to what they got in? Sure they did alright.

The next wave is surely timed for the DVD release. Also, since they were tooled up and made in the first place, it's most cost-effective to sell them through and at least break even on their work. However, I think Playmates will get a slight profit. Good news for Trek. Wave 2 is way cooler than the basics they made for wave 1 anyway. I'm looking forward to it.

Blue2th
10-15-2009, 05:54 PM
Star Trek Figures are $1.72 at Target today.
I think they were clearing shelf space for the Avatar figures which look nice btw.

I picked up:

McCoy
Scotty
Sulu
Kirk
Pike
Spock
Chekov
Romulan dude

Just missing old Spock and Uhura, but I'm going to check one more Target tonight.

Oh yeah, picked up the Playmates Enterprise for $7.99.

Tycho
10-15-2009, 09:21 PM
Nice. I will have to check my receipts to see if I can play any price matching games.

I also wonder if Playmates will have the license for the sequel ST movie and if the crew will re-issue the same figures (of the main 7 in their duty uniforms) or if they'll upgrade them or change the scale.

From a business standpoint, I'd guess re-issue Kirk, Spock, Scott, Uhura, Sulu, series 2 Chekov (yellow shirt), series 2 McCoy (blue shirt). For this reason, this is also why I think wave 2 will see the light of day. It's useful for Star Trek 2011 or whenever the next one will be.

Oh and assuming series 2 is made, they still need to do Delta Vega Scott, old Spock, and Kirk (I don't think DV Kirk is in series 2, but I might be mistaken) - and they could do Academy Pike, Academy Uhura, well, the list goes on and like I said (I'm not on my own computer at the moment), I'm not sure who's in series 2.

clone157
10-15-2009, 11:29 PM
Does anyone have confirmation that series 2 is coming out? Target has cleared everything out, Walmart is sketchy, one by me has an endcap but never got the Hot Wheels ships, another never got any ST stuff. TRU never seems to move any stuff at all. I just want to complete my bridge.

Jayspawn
10-16-2009, 01:08 AM
Not sure when wave 2 is supposed to hit. But I found the latest rundown of the upcoming wave....

1x McCoy in Enterprise Uniform
1x Chekov in Enterprise Uniform
1x Sarek
1x General Ayel
1x Spock in Cadet Leader Uniform
1x Keenser
1x Kirk in Space Outfit
1x Sulu in Space Outfit
1x Drakoulias
1x Kirk in Off-Duty Uniform

Tycho
10-16-2009, 01:21 AM
I think the Drakulias as well as the snow mammal beast, though for the 3 3/4" collection, ship with the 7" series 2 because of their size.

I ordered this stuff by the case from NewForceComics, but I hope that the individual carded figures make it to retail because I need multiples of certain ones.

Background Character
10-16-2009, 01:34 PM
Picked up a bunch of the Star Trek figures at Target for $1.74. Also picked up the Enterprise for $7.48, The Transporter Room for $7.48 and the Bridge for $6.24. They also had the larger figures (I believe they are called "The Warp Collection") for $2.49 each. Didn't pick up any of those. Out of the first series, the only one I wasn't able to get was Uhura. Don't know how I'm going to complete the bridge or transporter room if the second series doesn't hit the stores. Don't want to pay exorbitant prices online. Toys R Us still carries the line (no Uhuras there either) but it looks like Target is done with it.

It looks like they are clearing out fast. There were four Enterprises in the aisle when I picked up mine. When I returned to the aisle about 10 minutes later, they were all gone. Good luck to anyone bargain hunting!

Blue2th
10-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Yeah, I didn't find Uhura or original Spock either when scouring the last Target in town.
I'm thinking I may need to try and locate the other two figures I'm missing at a Walmart or TRU at the regular price now that I have most of them.

I hope that Playmates decides they will continue with this line and the 3 3/4 size as announced.
I really think that the smaller sized TOS and other TV and movie series could enhance and make this line attractive to collectors.

I wonder if people will clean out the other retail stores of ST figures when the DVD comes out?

Blue2th
10-16-2009, 11:14 PM
The next wave of Star Trek 3 3/4 figures will be a "shared exclusive"

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PL61525A

I guess we should be thankful they are going to be available at all though.

Tycho
10-17-2009, 08:04 AM
The ship date is estimated at JANUARY???

Whoa! When's the DVD release for Trek? November I think.

Oh well. I can pay off a lot of the Star Wars I bought by then anyway.

DarkArtist
10-17-2009, 02:01 PM
Picked up a bunch of the Star Trek figures at Target for $1.74. Also picked up the Enterprise for $7.48, The Transporter Room for $7.48 and the Bridge for $6.24. They also had the larger figures (I believe they are called "The Warp Collection") for $2.49 each. Didn't pick up any of those. Out of the first series, the only one I wasn't able to get was Uhura. Don't know how I'm going to complete the bridge or transporter room if the second series doesn't hit the stores. Don't want to pay exorbitant prices online. Toys R Us still carries the line (no Uhuras there either) but it looks like Target is done with it.

It looks like they are clearing out fast. There were four Enterprises in the aisle when I picked up mine. When I returned to the aisle about 10 minutes later, they were all gone. Good luck to anyone bargain hunting!

man i might have to make a run to the targets in my area and see if I can score some of these sweet deals.

RooJay
10-19-2009, 08:35 AM
Hmm, so I'm guessing Playmates was a little premature in announcing that extension to this line? Not going to do them much good if there aren't any retailers carrying it. Seems like a bit of what we saw with Hasbro's Indiana Jones line, where they shipped much too heavily on ealry waves and didn't follow up quickly enough with new figures. It's especially disheartening to me, as this line seemed to sell very well in my area. Most of the stores near me had only had a couple pegs worth of figures left before the clearance began. It really feels to me like the line just died from a lack of any new releases since the movie hit.

DarkArtist
10-19-2009, 11:46 AM
checked out the Target in Manalapan yesterday but no sign of Star Trek anywhere. dang was hoping to pick up the last few figures and maybe invest in the 2 playsets and the Enterprise. oh well