PDA

View Full Version : scored EP2 Falcon, X-Wing, VaderTIE

SWAFMAN
07-27-2002, 11:43 AM
I found two of each at one of the local Wallyworlds today.
That was their entire stock - two of each. I bought them out.

Still need the Target packs.

If anyone already scored the AF ships with me in mind, I'll honor my requests and buy them from you. But if you haven't picked these up yet, I'm all set until the next wave appears.

Will update this post as soon as I open & examine my openers....

2-1B
07-27-2002, 11:46 AM
Nice job Swaffy! Can I ask what WM charges?

I might be at Target today, if I find those sets I'll pick up a few . . .

britcit3
07-27-2002, 11:49 AM
Way to go SWAF

Will be checking UK TRU's on Monday.

BC3

Darth forb1us
07-27-2002, 02:41 PM
I'm not too much of a micro machine collector, however when I saw these I HAD to have them, very nice indeed :)

SWAFMAN
07-27-2002, 05:11 PM
Rather than edit the previous post, I'll just do a new one...

First observation:
Open the boxes from the bottom!!! If you carefully slice the tape and unfold the flaps on the box bottom, the inner packaging slides out easily, and everything can be replaced mintily.
The downside is that the stands are underneath the plastic pedestal that holds up the ship, and that plastic bubble is glued to the bottom cardboard of the inner packaging. I carefully sliced along two sides of the plastic bubble over the stand, and pried/slid out the stand. When I put the box back together, the cuts look pretty much invisible.

I like the box designs. The box footprint is about the same as the original series boxes, and the packaging is much nicer than the EP1s. But I would've much rather seen Hasbro spend the extra $ to make such nice boxes on the quality / features of the ships themselves!

Last thing on the boxes - Hasbro is playing it much closer to the vest this time around as far as promoting any additional AF offerings on the boxes. Only the three ships in this wave are advertised on the backs of the boxes.

X-Wing
The paint detail is much better than the vanilla original, more comparable to the Dagobah in paint detail, but without the swampiness. The R2 unit is tight enough in the fuselage that I'm not willing to pull any harder than I already have tried, and although it feels a little loose, I could not pull it out. I don't know for sure if it's been glued-in or not. There's a texture to the paint wash effect on the laser cannons, nose tip, leading edges of the engine nacelles and starting immediately aft of the cockpit & running over the R2 unit about 1/2 way to the trailing end of the fuselage that has an almost graphite-flake quality, like the powder that leaks out of an etch-a-sketch. But it doesn't rub off. It's a nice effect. The cockpit does open, in case you have an extra pilot somewhere you'd like to drop-in. Surprisingly, the inner cockpit also does retain the original decals.

Now the bad part.... Hasbro went cheap on assembly. There's a mile of slop in the wings when you go to change the wing formation. The upper and lower sets of wings slide fore/aft in relation to each other like two new playing cards, and the upper & lower wings refuse to stay acceptably together in the closed position. There's too much light showing between them to make a decent wings-closed display. Hasbro also changed to a softer plastic on the x-wing landing gear, and on mine, the aft right landing gear skid isn't installed properly and twists outboard toe-out. I'll post a scan. It can be turned to the correct position, but doesn't stay there.

3 AF X-Wings: O.T. vs. Dagobah vs. EP2 (http://home.adelphia.net/~jr44772/images/3_AF_X-Wings_OT_v_Dago_v_EP2.jpg)

EP2 AF X-Wing mfg. defect - landing skid (http://home.adelphia.net/~jr44772/images/EP2_AF_X-Wing_mfg_defect_landing_skid.jpg)

TIE Advanced x1 (VaderTIE)
Same sort of graphite-like paint wash on the front of the fuselage & much lighter on the wing panels. A different and Much less detailed damage effect than the playset Battle-Damaged VaderTIE (http://home.adelphia.net/~jr44772/images/EP2_VaderTIE_v_BD_VaderTIE.jpg) on the upper trailing edge of the left-side wing panel. A few small white paint areas on the upper fuselage & 3 streaks that may imply blaster scorches (but not as nicely as the real battle-damaged TIE). Same opening cockpit & opening engine cover as previous releases. The right, undamaged wing is not as carefully painted as the previous ones, with some overspray between the black of the center cooling panel and the two small vertical detail marks at the trailing edge (http://home.adelphia.net/~jr44772/images/EP2_VaderTIE_v_BD_VaderTIE_side.jpg). Otherwise, it's the standard, small version VaderTIE.

Millennium Falcon
This one is my favorite of the three in this wave.
Other than the paint (which is very cool, if not arguably just a bit overdone), the blank panel that covers the old missile launcher, and a slightly whiter & again maybe softer plastic used for the landing skids, this is the same falcon as the Classic Duels version, with moving dish, pop-up gunners pod, opening cockpit & cargo area, etc.. No JKF inscription. I like the paint job. It has a real smokey/scorchy quality over most of the fuselage, and that cool graphite-ish paint on the top of the opening cockpit area.

Original Trilogy Falcon vs. EP2 Falcon (top) (http://home.adelphia.net/~jr44772/images/AF_Falcon_OT_Duels_v_EP2.jpg)

Original Trilogy Falcon vs. EP2 Falcon (bottom) (http://home.adelphia.net/~jr44772/images/AF_Falcon_OT_Duels_v_EP2_bottom.jpg)

All three ships have discrete "Hasbro China 2002 LFL" stampings on the bottom.

The new stands (http://home.adelphia.net/~jr44772/images/EP2_AF_stand.jpg) have nice gold embossed lettering, but as was already pointed out - no recess to hold figures. You can just barely catch it in the scan, and you can really see it in-person on the stands where the recess for the figures was eliminated from the mold. There's a definite mark on the plastic on the top and bottom of the stand in that area.
And since the words 'Action Fleet' are a completely different stylized typeface than any of the previous versions, I think this indicates that the decision to cut the figures came fairly late in the process for the EP2 AF product line. It seems clear that the molds for the EP2 stands were originally designed with the recesses for figures, then revised quickly and fairly poorly.

Does anyone know when the 2nd wave is scheduled to debut?

r2dee2
07-28-2002, 01:02 AM
FANTASTIC PICS SWAFFY!!! I was going to do the same thing as you and compare each vehicle to previously released ones, but haven't had the chance. I did put up a couple of pics HERE (http://www.twinsuntimes.com/toyforce/sagamm.htm) but I don't have the wonderful comparisons you have. Great job:)! Thanks for sharing:D

LTBasker
07-28-2002, 01:13 AM
Still debating if I'll get them to have loose. What's the point of the features without the figures... :cry:

JediTricks
07-28-2002, 04:36 AM
Great pics Swaffy and R2. It's weird that they've made the same paint mistake as the previous versions by leaving the lower gunner station windows unpainted. I wish they had resculpted the main ramp section, that's one thing that bugged me about the original AF sculpt. I wonder why Hasbro changed the screws and removed a screw hole on the ship's underside left.

Darth forb1us
07-28-2002, 01:37 PM
very nice swaf!
I too am debating about loose or to get 2, to have both misb/loose. Not sure yet though.. :stupid:

haggie
07-28-2002, 02:59 PM
Just scored a set at 3rd and Wadsworth (for you Colorado collectors out there). They had three more sets after I got mine. Now I just need the Battle Packs.

I was probably there for a total of five minutes and during that time two families came up and told their kid to pick out a figure and both times the kid looked around and then saw the Action Fleet ships and said "These are COOL!". Both kids ended up getting an AF instead of a figure and I didn't even have to show them to the kids. They found them on their own. I would say that is a good sign that his line will be a success.

haggie
07-28-2002, 03:01 PM
One thing of not about the Millennium Flacon. The black paint seems to be sprayed on in varying degrees. One of the Falcons there had really heavy black paint on it and looked a little silly. The other three had a moderate coating, much better looking than the Flacon that was showed at the conventions.

r2dee2
07-28-2002, 11:31 PM
The Falcon does look nicer with the darker battle worn colors emphasizing the details, but it's still sad that we don't get the mini figures and we lose the missile firing function:( For playability the older AF Falcon would be a better choice, but for a nice display, the newer Saga Falcon has a more lived in look....IMVHO:D

shinakuma43
07-29-2002, 12:13 PM
I still haven't seen any of the new AFs. I guess preordering them months ago wasn't such a good idea, I want them now!!. I think I'll stop at Walmart today and see if they have them so I can at least see them in person for now.

Later,
S43

good shot jansen
07-29-2002, 12:18 PM
no sightings of either the af's or bp's here in south florida. :(

walmart was unloading new boxes into the toy area when i was there, but none of them were marked star wars toys.

i'll keep looking though

haggie
07-29-2002, 02:06 PM
GSJ, you may want to broaded your search to another store. I checked 1 Walmart and 3 Targets every day over the last week and never found anything. I went to a Walmart a little farther away yesterday and they had four complete sets of new AF. The other stores still don't have any (or they were already bought up). The AFs don't seem to be well distributed, which makes me wonder if all the stores bought them or not.

SWAFMAN
07-29-2002, 03:40 PM
After checking all the local stores every day last week, I was at our local Wal Mart Super Center last Friday afternoon and finally asked someone in the toy section about Action Fleet (I'd hesitated to do so, fearing if I sounded too interested, they'd consider scooping up / scalping the darned things themseleves), and she told me she was almost certain she saw mention of them in the list of what was arriving that night by truck to be stocked on the shelves between 10PM Fri. night and 6AM Sat. morning.
I went back around 8:30AM Saturday morning, and there weren't any AFs. I was really let-down. But, as I was going home, I stopped at our other local Wal Mart, which is not a Super Center, and they had exactly 2 of each new AF ship. They were not there late the previous afternoon, so they definitely were stocked overnight. All I can imagine is they maybe got the shipment that was on the truck for the other local store?
So, the reason for this novella is to affirm what Haggie said, that just because no AF show up at one store, they may well be sitting at another one a few miles away.

BTW, GSJ, I still haven't received the Aliens ships as of today's mail. I'm going to email the seller right now to get a confirmation of the day/date the package was shipped.

good shot jansen
07-30-2002, 11:02 AM
but a walmart that i went well out of my way (i mean way way out of my way)was in the process of restocking the toy shelves, and as a glimmer of hope, they did have price tag markings, freshly applied indicating that ep II action fleet would be filling up 4 rows of what is currently vacant shelf space. when i asked one of the nice folks walking around with a "how may i help you" slogan apron, she proved how it was only slogan and not the real deal by replying, "i dunno, come back tomorrow, we may have something then":rolleyes:

oh well,

the hunt continues (which in of itself is actually kind of a good thing, as it's been sooooooo long to have anything to hunt for at all!)

:)

good shot jansen
07-31-2002, 09:53 AM
chrimminey:frus: i had no idea there were sooooo many down here. (i live and work in one big suburbia i guess :rolleyes: )

found, nada, zilch, bupkis.:mad:

and the hunt continues............:Pirate:

britcit3
07-31-2002, 10:44 AM
I have just tried 2 TRUS in the UK (Preston & Liverpool) ...... no signs at all.

Also tried 2 comic shops - again, zippo.

BC3

PS a reminder to those that are interested : that cool NX-01 is out in the v. near future - can't wait.

SWAFMAN
07-31-2002, 03:16 PM
Star wars stuff already on clearance and lower-profile display at Target (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=148710#post148710)

haggie
08-01-2002, 12:05 AM
I saw the clearance items today. The little keychain danglers are $1.90. If you want an AF sized Zam and Ani speeder this may be you only wayto get them, and they are really cheap now.

Grif
08-03-2002, 04:38 PM
My local Wally World had some today. So I picked up the Falcon and The X-Wing. I don't know if they just got them in or if they are not selling good but they had 21 more left!

britcit3
08-04-2002, 09:55 AM
AF's hit UK.

Just been to a Memorabilia show and bagged all 3 re-hashes.

As I am an AF non-opener and therefore not too bothered about the figures, I love 'em - the packaging is great for display purposes.

No signs of BP's though - although not a BP collector myself.

Cheers

BC3

good shot jansen
08-05-2002, 01:48 PM
the swafman has come through big time for me! he was able to score all three action fleet for me (i still havn't seen em in any south florida outlet yet).

these things are definately being marketed with the collector in mind.

the new packaging is supberb for leaving these toys in the box for display purposes. The grade of trnasparent plastic being utilized for the view panels is far superior ot the original packaging. this will insure that more units stay mib in appearance without the usual buckling or crazed waviness which ran rampant with the old versions.

my biggest problem with this, is thta i fear that the money that used to be spent on figures and playability, have now been allocated to (as emerald lagasse would say) plating of the dish:rolleyes:

the old packaging allowed one to remove all the contents, and then store the box for future storage, not so with the new style. the stand is now encased in clear platic (almost appears to be hermetically sealed), and is monolithically a part of the plastic pedistal which the ship is placed upon. if one was to remove it (which i will get around to doing when i get home), the plastic pedistal along with the portion which entombs the stand will be forever detached from the bottom of the packaging, and will roll around freely within the pretty box never to present it's pristine appearance again.

viva la landfill!

i do however love that there is a yellow stripe down the front of the x-wing's fuselage! the overall painting of the vehicles is definately superior to the original versions.

that piece of plastic which now foreveer conceals the falcons missle firing feature, bugs the behezuz outta me:frus: , particularly as it's unpainted, and is in lousy contrast with the surrounding surfaces which have been given the new and improved painted/washed appearance. :rolleyes:

i can't wait to get these things home, and compare them to thier older siblings>

thanx again swafman!

ssg forummers, granting wishes, and bringing joy to the hearts of children for 4 years running!

OC47150
08-05-2002, 04:09 PM
My Target at the X-wing, Vader's TIE and one or two battle packs on Saturday. I passed for the time since I didn't have the cash. I was impressed with the X-wing.

Darth forb1us
08-05-2002, 05:21 PM
I have mine on layaway, with some army builders at walmart. Still deciding if I wanna open them, I am a mosc/misb collector, but somethings I'd prefer out of the package. Been opening a bit of stuff lately though, so who knows :)

SWAFMAN
08-05-2002, 05:50 PM
GSJ, wow, that was reasonably quick shipping by the post orifice. Glad you like them, although I'm wondering whether your silence on the VaderTIEx1 is in fact "speaking volumes." More likely you're just waiting for when you have more time to post in detail.
Hey! Whaddabout the Aliens drop ship? I'm thrilled with mine, except for the spartan cockpit. Remember that those missile pods open up below the opening "wings," too. ;)

re: the new boxes: be sure to re-read my comments earlier in this thread about opening them and discretely removing the stands to keep the box insert nearly mint.

Darth forb1us: "To open, or not to open? That [doesn't have to be] the Question." Fortunately, at $9.99 each, getting 2 of each of the three new AF repaints may not be chump-change, but is still less than even one Franklin Mint collectible.

Suggestion: Get a set now to open or leave boxed, and wait to see if they're down to $4.99 around xmastime and snag a 2nd set to keep the opposite way. Or whatever......

(can you tell that I'm an AF enthusiast?)

Darth forb1us
08-06-2002, 03:41 PM
Thats a good idea, I just might do it that way :)

How long before the AT-AT and snowspeeder are due out? hmm would be nice if all 5 were 1/2 off at christmas (if that happend)
then I'd definately get a 2nd of each

OC47150
08-06-2002, 03:49 PM
Wait till after Christmas, when Target and Wal Mart wants to get rid of stock. I've picked up some good stuff at post-Christmas sales.

good shot jansen
08-08-2002, 01:17 PM
it's just......why oh why do i need another tie advanced x-1?, and another battle damaged one to boot?

i enjoy having all the repiants for ships like the x-wings, y-wings, a-wings, snowspeeders and the ilk, cause having a fleet made up of so many ships that are all painted different from each other is neato-keeno!

however.........a fleet of darth vader specials? and several that are battle damaged as well? my enthusiasm wanes a little over this one.

the repiant is definately nicer than the original, and the silver coloring of the material unde the outer skin is pretty nice, but frankly, i just can't git all worked up in a tizzy over this guy. if you ask me, of the three newly released ships, the x-1 was not a good choice.

as fer the drop ship, wowwy! this ship is great! hands down, best landing gear operation of any action fleet! i love the drop ship, and high recommend it as a fabulous af for anyone to enjoy!

haggie
08-08-2002, 04:55 PM
I can't believe there is talk of waiting until the new AFs are on clearance. If they have to stick them on clearance, do you really think there will be any hope of Hasbro producing new AFs? Hardly.

JediTricks
08-08-2002, 04:56 PM
I'm assuming you don't mean the REAR landing gear on the drop ship, yes? Since we're not counting my slight modification to the Millennium Falcon (I removed the grab lip to the forward landing foot so it woud be flush), then the drop ship's front gear probably is the best.

OC47150
08-09-2002, 07:13 AM
I've seen the AF twice now within the last week. Both times I think it was the X-wing and Vader's TIE that were on the shelves. Just one or two total. To me, that appears like the ships are selling well.

Darth forb1us
08-10-2002, 07:48 AM
well, depends OC47, Walmart has a tendancy (around here anyways) of getting in one case at a time? maybe two..
Take Acklay for example, I saw him once, 4 or 6 on the shelf, got him, that was the last I've seen him (long long time ago)
AF's, 1 of each on the shelf, I grabbed them all as they looked oh so nice. Havent seen them since!
I wish they would get more Acklay in, I'd like to open one, and if they don't I will end up opening this one... which I do not want to do..

I'm waiting for the Gunship.. ooooo baby! :D

SWAFMAN
08-10-2002, 11:55 AM
I've been checking my 2 area WMs for the last week, trying to score another set of the 3 new AFs for another foruMMer, and there's been absolutely zero, nada, zed, zilch, NOTHING!!! One of the two locations even removed the price sticker from that area of their shelf! My only guess is that some scalper(s) in town are now aware of these items and snatching them all up before I get there???

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-12-2002, 10:48 PM
I visited a couple different stores today while making the rounds in the heart of Buffalo.

Went to a Target, two KBs and a Toys R Us.

The Target had all of the accessory sets (one of each) and two of the ships, two DV Tie Fighters and an X-wing for $9.99. I passed up on all of them.

The TRU had 0 AF and not much of anything else.

The first KB I went to had zilch. The second KB had all of the ships including a Millenium Falcon that I bagged for myself. Even though the price was $3 more than Target, I knew I just had to get one. I'm hoping to get another when my pocketbook says it's all right. I missed the MF during the initial run of the line and even though I would love to see more new ships made, I am not angry at Hasbro for reissuing this baby.

Darth forb1us
08-13-2002, 03:20 PM
Maybe Swaf. Try target to, I saw 2 Tie's at one of them on Saturday. Also finally saw the accessory sets.. but I passed on them. I did nab the action fleet packs though: Mos Eisley Encounter, Imperial Endor Pursuit, Dune Sea Ambush, and Tatooine Droide Hunter.
were only $5.99 :p

Is the main thing with the accessory packs, just to replenish misplaced weapons? and maybe to add a piece or two to a diorama? I wasnt too impressed :p

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-13-2002, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Darth forb1us
Is the main thing with the accessory packs, just to replenish misplaced weapons? and maybe to add a piece or two to a diorama? I wasnt too impressed :p

Yeah I would say that too. The accessory packs include a rehashed figure (with the exception of the Red Battle Droid which in this case, is a rehashed, repainted figure) with a few weapons and other accessories (like the Mouse Droid on the Death Star Accessory set). I held the Hoth Accessory sets in my hand for a good couple of minutes, but for $9.99 I passed on these, and got some Reese Puffs cereal (with free Lightsaber pen).

For those who care, Target also clearanced it's Star Wars candy such as the Boba Fett gum dispenser and the R2-D2 dippin' candy. :eek:

good shot jansen
08-14-2002, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner

For those who care, Target also clearanced it's Star Wars candy such as the Boba Fett gum dispenser and the R2-D2 dippin' candy. :eek:

if they want to sell candy dispensers, they oughta turn the af tie bomber into the biggest selling pez dispenser of all time!

:)

haggie
08-17-2002, 03:12 PM
I've only seen the new AFs in two stores and I've been making trips between 4 Targets, 3 Walmarts, 2 Kmarts, and 1 TRU every other day for weeks. Either they are selling out immediately, they were sorely underproduced, or they are going to be shipping more at a later date. It may just be like the 3 3/4" figures where there seems to be one of each new case per store until four months later when they get so many cases that they can't even sell them all.

Wookiee
08-21-2002, 01:19 PM
Sorry if this has been asked already, but
does the new re-released Action Fleet Millenium Falcon have the secret message inside from JKF?

I believe only the orginal single pack had it, not the Classic Duels Falcon. I haven't seen the new one yet with the re-paint.

Anybody open theirs up yet?

SWAFMAN
08-21-2002, 04:26 PM
no message inside (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=145671#post145671)

JediTricks
08-22-2002, 02:46 AM
BTW, the classic duels TRU-exclusive 2pack version definitely does NOT have the inscription.

haggie
08-22-2002, 03:14 AM
If anybody has the single pack Falcon I'd love to see the inscription. I've never seen it before. It'd also be nice to get a photo for my site as well but I don't plan on buying a single pack Falcon since I have a both the Classic Duels and Saga Falcon already.

JediTricks
08-22-2002, 03:17 AM
It's virtually impossible to photograph or scan IMO because it is so shallow that you can't get a shadow, and it's molded from the same light color plastic as the rest of the ship. It reads:

To my son, Bennett. And to all you Star Wars fans, I thank you for your support. I do it for you. (Fong's Signature) Jim Fong 6-14-97

haggie
08-25-2002, 02:20 AM
Cool. Thanks for relaying what the inscription said, JT.

I saw four X-Wing and Darth TIEs at a Walmart in Greeley today. No Falcons. Hope everyone has been successful in scoring the Falcon if they were in need.

Wookiee
08-26-2002, 08:20 AM
cool, thanks for the info, sorry I didn't realize it was already in this same thread!

1997! hard to believe that was 5 years ago, the original AF falcon.

wow.

JediTricks
08-27-2002, 05:31 AM
Sure thing, glad I could help.

I saw a couple X-wings and TIE Advanced tonight, and the BOX for a Millennium Falcon... sans the Falcon! Yeesh, what a world this is when people have to resort to petty theft for toys.

SWAFMAN
08-30-2002, 04:10 PM
I saw 2 x-wings and a TIE at Wal Mart today. I snagged the one good X-wing, but the TIE's box was crunched, and on one of the X-wings the laser cannon tips were bent or skewed so they diverged away from each other instead of being parallel to each other like this... < instead of this... =

I've seen a lot of lack of inspection/Quality Control problems with these EP2s. Heck, my own X-wing has the bad landing skid!
Prior to the EP2 stuff, I took good build quality pretty much for granted with the AF line. I can't think of ANY major defects in any of my pre-EP2 openers.

Other than the inconsistent paint - mostly on the falcon, has anyone else seen more quality problems in the EP2 AFs than previous releases?

JediTricks
08-30-2002, 04:17 PM
I've seen a Saga (I'm not calling it "Ep 2", sorry ;)) Falcon that had a super loose sensor dish at its base.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-20-2002, 11:21 PM
Just a little update of how Action Fleet are doing at stores around the area.

Wal-Mart -- most Wal-Marts I have seen have been sold out of them. A few will have the Vader's Tie or X-wing. Not sure if they have stocked in greater numbers. Reasonably priced at $9.99.

Target -- I went today to a Target and saw that they had 9 AF ships on the shelves--the most I've seen so far. They had 4 X-wings and 4 DF TV as well as 1 Falcon. They were completely sold out of the mini-packs. Also, priced at $9.99.

Kay-Bee -- pegwarming much like a lot of SW stuff does at that store. Price $12.99. I bought a Falcon there--d'oh!

K-Marts -- If I remember correctly, I saw one store had them on one of my earlier hunts. Can't remember the price though.

Can't wait to see some different ships on the shelves soon!