PDA

View Full Version : What Was Your First POTF2 Figure?

GNT
08-17-2001, 05:53 AM
Based on Jayspawn's What Was You're First Figure? (http://209.197.112.151/thread.html?dom=ss&TID=16&PID=5197) thread at the OLD SSG Forums!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

When the Power of the Force Star Wars figures first came out in '95, everybody scrambled to get their hands on them. This was the rebirth of Star Wars figures and toys!

So who or what was your first POTF2 figure?Where did you get it?

Mine was Darth Vader,Stormrooper,Luke and (I think) Han I bought them at a shop called Big-W or woolworths at the price of AU$8.85 each (now the figures are AU$16.00^ each) I was so happy until I found out that Luke and Vader were the rare ones a couple years latter,I've been made at myself since!

evenflow
08-17-2001, 07:48 AM
Back in 95, I was in a Service Merchandise in PA and went over to the toy section and there they were, one complete set. I could not believe my eyes.

QLD
08-17-2001, 08:44 AM
Darth Vader, I got it from Blockbuster Video, where I worked at the time.

the master jedi
08-17-2001, 04:36 PM
My very first figure was an R2-D2 I got for Christmas of '95. This figure is what got me started in Star Wars.

matt_ox
08-17-2001, 05:31 PM
Mine was a Green Carded Vader and a Luke speederbike. It was a happy day.

PloKoon2385
08-17-2001, 09:06 PM
Mine were a bunch. I bought Chewbacca, Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, C-3PO, and R2-D2. All on orange cards. I remember that day well. I bought them at a Fred Meyer, when they actually had toys.......

humsup
08-17-2001, 09:41 PM
I think mine is a CTC Luke. Bought it together with CTC Han and CTC Greedo. It was a happy day for me too :D

Griff
08-19-2001, 10:45 AM
Boba Fett with the cool little jet pack that you can take off.

james the hutt
08-19-2001, 11:28 AM
My first SW figs were Hammerhead and Yoda. I got them at Walmart the first time I saw the rereleased SW figs.

2-1B
08-19-2001, 02:55 PM
I believe it wasn't until I picked up the Luke Dagobah and TIE Pilot that I decided to collect the new line. I think I shyed away due to the buff sculpts.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-19-2001, 05:06 PM
Evenflow, did that set include Leia and Threepio? If so, that was pretty good. It took me about 3-4 months to find those two.

JEDIpartner
08-20-2001, 09:06 AM
I got Artoo and Threepio first... they were the first two I got from the vintage line... so I thought to go with tradition!

Beast
08-25-2001, 11:45 AM
My first POTF2 figure was "Obi-Wan Kenobi"....after hearing they came out I started the calls, every place was sold out except KB Toy Store....Obi-Wan had fallen behind some things at the front desk, and wasnt put out like the others. I yelled..."Save if for me, Ill be right over" and rushed out the door....

Not the best of figures (especially compared to later stuff), but I liked it...he was soon followed by "Han Solo" and "Chewbacca" who I found at the local K-Marts.
That started me along the path of Star Wars insanity, now I have every 3 3/4" figure released to date. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lobito
08-27-2001, 10:14 PM
Mine were:

Luke, Han, Stormtrooper, Darth Vader, C-3PO, R2-D2 and Obi Wan. yep the very first!!

GNT
12-15-2001, 10:26 PM
Thought I'd bump it back to the top

hamsterboy
12-16-2001, 12:51 AM
My first two were Leia(man,is she ugly!) and C-3PO. I got them at the same time.

Wolfwood319
12-16-2001, 12:59 AM
I remember seeing a full set at a KB in our local mall soon after my birthday. I had birthday money, so I got all of the figures (2 stormtroopers.) Later that month I went and got a Falcon, X-Wing, and 2 TIES.

Good times...

Darth Evil
12-16-2001, 08:59 AM
I got Darth Vader, now he sits in his TIE. I remember the day well.

Jayspawn
12-19-2001, 09:10 AM
Mine were Han Solo and Darth Vader I picked up at Wal-Mart. I was jazzed all night!

Darkross
12-19-2001, 10:43 AM
When Hasbro released the POTF2 line back in 1995, I vowed that I would not buy any of the figures. I figured (sorry about the pun) that since I only had a few of them when I was a child...that I wasn't going to spend money on buying the new line. Plus...I didn't realize at the time that Hasbro was just getting started with the POTF2 line. Christmas 1995, my wife gave me DARTH VADER for Christmas...and thus started my quest. I was perfectly happy not collecting the new line...but once I had Vader...well I had to get Luke...and once I had Luke...I had to get Han and Chewey, and then once I wanted a Stormtrooper...I couldn't find them. It was two years later in the summer of 1997 that I finally found a Stormtrooper.

So now 150 figures later...another can of worms was stirring...I vowed that I would only collect the figures...and not the vehicles. Well after seeing a ton of dioramas on the net maily at:

www.niubniubsuniverse.com (http://www.niubniubsuniverse.com)

I had to get the vehicles too. So my quest has begun to get at least most of the vehicles that I can. MAN...THIS IS GETTING EXPENSIVE!!!

Dark Marble
12-19-2001, 11:23 AM
My first figure and vehicle was Dash Rendar and the outrider. I remember it so well because it was my brother's birthday in Febuary of 97. At the time I bought them, Han, Chewy and the falcon weren't around. So this seemed liked the next best thing. I never thought it would go so far. The falcon, Han, Chewy, Luke, Obi Wan, and C-3P0 came about a month later. And now I am an addict. Wow...I remember that so well.:)

Voldemore
12-24-2001, 07:56 AM
My first figure was the Jawa two-pack, soon to be followed by the Fleet Trooper.

187-Maul
01-08-2002, 08:07 AM
well Dark Ross it was pretty much the same way I started buying my figs - when i first saw the figs I thought they looked stupid and way too buff but when a friend of mine started buying them and gave me a chewbacca to my birthday i slowly started buying them too - han solo, stormtrooper, monkey leia...now I'm glad my friend bought me that first chewbacca, else I would've never gotten into this stuff

Man In The Box
01-08-2002, 01:22 PM
jawa 2 pack...later gave it awy for mamow nadon

master jedi
01-08-2002, 07:48 PM
Mine was R2-D2.

SithDroid
01-10-2002, 01:22 AM
My first was the whole first wave. I got them for Christmas I believe. I, being the fool that I was, opened them. Soon after I went out and bought one of each to collect in the package. Thus began the long journey of buying 2 of each figure which I still do to this day. I also began buying up large amounts of stormtroopers to build an army, however I could never allow myself to open any of the packages. I have over 30 packaged orange card stormtroopers. Ah, the good old days of collecting. Much cheaper than it is now, and by far so much easier to find back then.

Lman316
01-22-2002, 06:54 PM
I bought a Jedi Luke and a Long Saber Darth Vader, but it was before I knew about the whole long saber vs. short saber thing, and I actually didn't care - I had fun playing with them. I got those at a KB Toy Works.
And later that week, I went to Wal*Mart and picked up a Boba Fett and a Han In Carbonite (chamber, not the block)...and it just kinda grew from there.

InsaneJediGirl
01-22-2002, 07:27 PM
My first figures were X-Wing Pilot Luke and Darth Vader (Dont ask me if it was long or short,I didnt care)It was a wonderful day,out with my grandmother(Who supports my SW Fandom).I cant believe 10 dollars got me both!

Darth Evil
01-23-2002, 01:47 PM
I forgot mention that my first Vader has a long-bladed lightsaber.

DagMarus
01-23-2002, 09:43 PM
Chewbacca. I remember the day I saw it. It was the beginning of my passion and I owe it all...to chewie. That is why he's my favorite character. He revived my love of Star Wars.

OC47150
01-25-2002, 03:50 PM
My two favorites for the last 25 years -- Han and Chewie. It was at Target.

stormie
01-25-2002, 04:21 PM
I actually forget the year - maybe '96 or '97, or even '98 - but my first POTF2 figure was (of course) a Stormtrooper. I probably would never have gotten back into Star Wars figures if it hadn't been for my coworker. He pinned a few orange-carded figs on his wall at work (which I thought looked awful, and constantly gave him grief about), and I decided to go to TRU to look at all these so-called new SW figures. I bought a Stormtrooper just for the good memories of childhood. I opened it up immediately, and was hooked...again! The next figures - and for good measure - the next years are all a blur.

Turbowars
01-27-2002, 11:44 AM
My frist POTF2 was Vader with long saber and Stormtrooper at KB toys. After that great day that I learned that StarWars was reborn I fell in love for the second time. Ok thats a little much, but I was the happiest kid in the store!

Jon
02-02-2002, 12:51 PM
A Stormtrooper at Spencer gifts in Lansing for $5.99

The next few days were spent hunting down all the rest. That freaking Speeder Bike for some reason was practically impossible to find in Lansing!!

LusiferSam
02-05-2002, 12:01 PM
My first were Luke and Ben. I heard that there was going to be a new line of SW figures, but seen them yet. Then at an after X-mas sale there they were. I would have got more but those were the only two the store had.

chewbaccathewookiee
02-14-2002, 05:28 AM
Darth Vader -- just like in 1978.

hukilu
02-15-2002, 04:07 PM
I bought the whole first wave (except Leia, of course) but Obi-Wan was the apple of my eye!

jdmarlow
02-15-2002, 09:46 PM
Hello all,

My first purchase came back in the good year of 1995, in the good month of August. FAO Schwartz in New York City was the place. I dished out a lot more than I should have for the fig, but I loved it! Didn't think for a minute that my collection would amount to being that Han + 1100 other pieces.

-JD

ConvergeDW
02-16-2002, 11:06 PM
I read about them in the now defunct Star wars galaxy magazine, they showed a bunch of first shots, and prototypes. From the time that came out until the line was released, I would check the stores every other day, which was fairly uncommon foe me back then. When alas in the mid august heat, I walked into the air conditioned bliss of K-mart to find the towering display of figures right in the entrance. I weeded through with a bunch of grown men, hmm odd (I was only 16 at the time). I grabbed all 9 and ran out the door(after paying). a month or so later I found all the ships.

chewie
02-17-2002, 08:39 PM
My first POTF2 figure? Well, I found all of the 1st issue guys at K-Mart except for Leia and C3PO. Got them all at once.

icatch9
02-18-2002, 02:01 PM
Back in '95 I was 16. I never had a real job befor, but I saw an ad for these new Star Wars figures comeing out so I got my but an application at this store my brother worked at. Anyway, I got mine at a stor called Hills (later turned into Ames and then went out of business). I got Luke, Vader, Obi Wan (all w/ long sabers), Han, Chewy, and Stromtrooper. I got them all for $5.00 each. Those where the days. Now it seems ten or so jobs later a college education, and boxes and boxes of figures it is time to do it all over again on April 23rd. :p

mark2d2
02-18-2002, 06:45 PM
February 1996. I was at Disneyland and had just come out of the Star Tours ride and was completely blown away by the fact that they even existed. Knowing nothing about the current state of toys, I immediately snapped up C3P0 and R2D2 --- I just couldn't believe that at long last he had a third leg!!!

I also simply could not resist getting a new TIE FIGHTER. (My old one was one of the few SW toys that had not survived my childhood.) And I was totally convinced that these were Park Exclusives or something. (Imagine my surprise when I later realized I'd nearly paid double for everything.)

Anyway, it was months before I started collecting. (I really tried to resist.) So, for quite a while either Artoo or Threepio were zipping around piloting a renegade TIE . . .

LTBasker
02-18-2002, 08:50 PM
One day at Wal-Mart I saw'em on the pegs and I got a Stormtrooper and R2-D2...then for Christmas and my birthday that year I got all the vehicles and the rest of the figure wave. :)

Casual George
02-28-2002, 02:59 PM
I hadn't collected Star Wars figures since I was 13 years old. Still have all my original stuff. I was walking throught Wal-Mart one day and spied the "new" figures. I was a bit skeptical about the "buff" look but I bought a Boba Fett to put on my desk at work. That started me collecting again....many, many figures later I'm still at it. :)

Hellzer
03-01-2002, 09:16 PM
My first POTF2 figure was the mail-away Han Solo in Stormtrooper disguise from the back of a box of Corn Pops. I was still about five years away from becoming the fanatical collector that I am now, but how can anyone in their right mind pass up a free Stormtrooper? When I originally got it, I had to give him a leftover GI Joe gun that I painted black with a magic marker (my first and only customizing job to date). It's still prominently displayed with said gun as a reminder of where I started.

Dryanta
03-02-2002, 10:37 AM
Sept. 1995 at Service merchandise.Was getting Divorced and was in there checking for housewares.I saw and bought A Falcon Han and Chewie.I always loved Star wars and these were really the only toys I had when I was a kid.Couldn't help it.They all still are the only toys I display that I never rotate.Great place to restart

DarthMaulSithLord
03-03-2002, 02:55 PM
POTF2 Han Solo.

:)

Creger5150
03-06-2002, 05:26 AM
My first was "Buff" Luke. I was just going to get him & Vader. But I just couldn't stop.

KingOfSting
03-07-2002, 09:34 PM
orange carded darth vader..i got him at a store called "rock bottom"...a few weeks afterwards i got luke and an at-st

corporal AMF
03-07-2002, 11:19 PM
It was power FX Darth Vader in 1997 ....I spent a whole week looking at his saber at night.. then I said I'd buy the basic figures and maybe those ones that I really like...:sur:
I don't know what happened later:crazed:

Amanamike
03-08-2002, 08:44 PM
My first figure was all 12 of the first run wave on orange cards from TRU. I was in shock to see any Star wars figures at all!!! Now Im just afreak, I have way too many figures!!!

DarthChuckMc
03-08-2002, 09:19 PM
My first figures were Orange Carded Han, Ben, R2, and Chewbacca.

I bought them at a Hill's department store in Hurricane, WV.

I was moving back to Florida from Charleston, and happen to be in Hill's looking for GASP!! Star Trek figures.

I had no idea they were even out. I also managed to get the TIE Fighter that same day at the Hill's in Beckley as we were leaving the state.

When I got back to Orlando, FL, I found the Stormtrooper, Luke, and Vader at a comic shop for $8.99 a piece (darn scalpers).

It was a very exciting weekend I tell you.
Ah, to be back in 1995...sigh....

Dar' Argol
03-10-2002, 02:08 PM
My first for myself was Lando in Skiff Guard disguise. I got that one b/c it was the first SW fig I got as a child. I still have that first one. I opened Lando as soon as I got home and stood him next to my vintage one. The very first ones I purchased period was the long saber/buff Luke, Vader, Han, Chewy, C3PO, and R2-D2. I was turned off at the time because their sabers were as tall as they were and they were too buff! I got them for a friend for his birthday. I busted on him the entire time about those figs. He opened them of course. Now I kinda wish I had bought a set for myself:cry:

Sith Lord 0498
03-19-2002, 01:28 PM
Darth Vader. It couldn't have been anyone else because he's my all-time favorite character. That was the first Star Wars toy I bought with the vague intention of collecting them at the time. Now seven years, various collectibles, and thousands of dollars later... :D

BoShek
04-07-2002, 12:15 AM
My favorite, Obi Wan Kenobi over priced at the Bloomsburg fair.

I saw the vehicles for weeks on the shelves before and I was so anxious about finding the figures. Low and behold there he was!

steve3p0
04-07-2002, 03:33 PM
flashback obi-wan

he-ro
04-17-2002, 11:13 PM
Obi-Wan Kenobi.

jrviking07
04-27-2002, 05:28 PM
Chewbacca and then I went back and got Luke, vader, and han solo

figrin bran
05-06-2002, 11:09 PM
vader and r2 and i was planning on only being the characters that i really like...so much for that! :)

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
05-07-2002, 04:28 PM
Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi w/ SS

RePoZeSoR
05-08-2002, 06:50 PM
Luke, Leia, Vader, R2, C3PO, Chewie, Ben, Stormtrooper, & Han & Tie Figher, Falcon, LandSpeeder, AT-ST, & X-wing Huntsville, Ala. 1995