PDA

View Full Version : saturday morning cartoons

Thumb Wars
07-28-2002, 03:29 PM
what ever happened to this??? i remember, being a child of the 80's sorta, i would have to flip around to about 7 different channels on saturday mornings just to watch everything!!! i flipped on the tv this past saturday, and there was 3 channels with cartoons on! the Cartoon Network, which really shouldn't count because they ALWAYS have cartoons, i think the other was on NBC or something, it was Disenys cartoon morning, and FOX, which has about 2 cartoons on and then its all live action Power Rangers/Gattica/Tiki Island/other crap!
what happened to the good old days of getting up at 5:30 in the morning and watching cartoons until 11am??? do companies not relise what a cash cow that was in the 80's. pratically every cartoon had toys, and kids(or their parents) bought them!! i wish i could go back to those days, a much simpler time, and a good thing to do on a saturday morning. either that or i need to start a 80's tv cable station and replay all the shows of the 80's and then on saturday mornings, show 80's cartoons all day long!!!!!!

LTBasker
07-28-2002, 03:42 PM
Cartoons? Cartoons? Ohhhhh.... those "shows" on nick and such. Nope, those went out of style unless they're incredibly pointless or badly done... like on Nick and such. ;) Now it's live-action, CG animation or anime. Not plain cartoons.

Thumb Wars
07-28-2002, 03:45 PM
no, no, no. I'm talking good old cartoons. like Dungons and Dragons, *.I. Joe, The Transformers, Bionic Six, etc. . . . . . that is what i am longing for.

LTBasker
07-28-2002, 04:08 PM
It's hard to find a good cartoon, and when you finally do it get's canceled. :( Quality programming is goin' vintage.

darthvyn
07-28-2002, 04:09 PM
i don't understand why kids don't get the benefit of a healthy saturday morning cartoon lineup anymore. i used to love to get up early, eat saltine crackers and watch all the shows! kids these days.

rynobot
07-28-2002, 04:23 PM
pobably because most homes have cable and they can just watch Nick and Cartoon Network, I know these are the channels my 6 year old nephew watch all the time.

Jek Porky 2002
07-28-2002, 04:47 PM
As a child I hated cartoons, stuff like X-Men and the other Marvel storys, and tings like * I Joe. I much prefer the newer Live action kids programs like Even Stevens and the Miami 7, LA7 and Hllywood 7 series plus some of the CG cartoons are good too, they should bring back Reboot!

QLD
07-28-2002, 06:41 PM
I never cared much for live-action shows. Though there were few when I was a kid. I think Hammer Man, Pro Stars, and Captain N the Game Master spelled the end for kids morning cartoons on networks.

DarthBrandon
07-28-2002, 06:57 PM
When I was a kid there was cartoons on at 7 A.M. till at least 2 P.M. in the afternoon with about ten channels to choose from. Now we are lucky to get one or two channels on a Saturday. Now with all the Playstations and other video games running rampant I guess the networks don't find it feasible anymore or they just plain don't care. I'm hoping someday soon that will change.

Thumb Wars
07-28-2002, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by rynobot
pobably because most homes have cable and they can just watch Nick and Cartoon Network, I know these are the channels my 6 year old nephew watch all the time.

but that is because that is all they are offered anymore!! and Nick doesn't offer any really good cartoons, just ones aimed at young kids. Cartoon Network offers a lot of vintage cartoons, but sometimes overloads them. i really cannot watch Scooby Doo another time!

the greatest thing about those cartoons was the toy tie ins. advertising was great back then. every comercial between the shows was for kids. and the toys FOR the show were great as well! anyone remember the Dungons and Dragons action figures?? Silverhawks?? Centurians?? M.A.S.K.?? these were all great toys that would have never been made without the cartoon tie in. how many other great toys have we missed out on because networks don't think its profitable to try this again.

and what about the imagination factor here. someone said with all the Playstations and other video games, plus PC and what not, that is why they are not doing it. what kids imagination is sparked by sitting in front of the PS2 all day long. i can remember seeing a new episode of *.I.Joe, and then heading over to my buddies house afterwards, with my Joe's in a bag, and having HUGH wars until it was time for dinner. in my neighborhood, the kids hit the street after the cartoons were over, to talk, to play, heck, evev just to go lay in a field and watch clouds go past.

i'm sorry, it just makes me mad seeing all these kids spend their time indoors during the summer, and not expanding their minds the way children were suppose to. oh, how i long for the days when i was a kid. carefree and curious. and its sad that most kids now a days will not be able to look back on their childhood with such fondness as us children of the 80's. it is truely sad.

uhhhh . . . .why is the * in my *.I.Joe getting censored?????
for that matter why is the letter after F and before H which would be * getting censored all by itself????

darthvyn
07-28-2002, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Thumb Wars

uhhhh . . . .why is the * in my *.I.Joe getting censored?????
for that matter why is the letter after F and before H which would be * getting censored all by itself????

that's what WE want to know... check out the sig line...

nice 'tar, by the way. that rocks!

i agree with you, children just aren't getting the same great stuff that we were. it's a shame.

Thumb Wars
07-28-2002, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by darthvyn

that's what WE want to know... check out the sig line...

nice 'tar, by the way. that rocks!

i agree with you, children just aren't getting the same great stuff that we were. it's a shame.

thanks about the avatar.

and i started a thread in Comments/Suggestions about the elusive *! i wonder what the deal is???

darthvyn
07-28-2002, 07:42 PM
i actually think it's kinda funny. i almost hope it stays this way. it only really does it when it's alone, or accompanied by punctuation. in the midst of a word, it works. in my sig, it actually is typed with the letter, not an asterix. when our lost letter comes back, i don't know if i'll leave it as the letter, change it to an asterix, or *et rid of it all to*ether. lol... ahhh, the tribulations of an ss* forumite...

Exhaust Port
07-28-2002, 09:30 PM
Over the last 2 months I've become fasinated by Sponge Bob Square Pants on Nick. Extremely funny innocent fun. I recommend it to everyone for a few laughs.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-28-2002, 10:54 PM
I think that Saturday morning cartoons have given way to infomercials nowadays.

I too was raised on Saturday cartoons. From Kissyfur, to Camp Candy, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (heroes in a half shell!) and
Gravedale High, were all part of my childhood.

Cartoon Network is a sufficient enough channel for me but for those who get satellite TV, there's a channel called BOOM (direct tv 297). Boom is a 24 hour classic cartoon channel chock filled with classics like Jonny Quest, Super Friends, Super Chicken, etc. No Dexter's or Johnny Bravo on that channel.

thespar
07-28-2002, 11:33 PM
i loved the cartoons of old. i would watch about all the espiodes of gi joe, transfomers the 1st ones, he-man i watch as many of the centuries and do not forget thundercats. alot of the new cartoons are just plan out and out garbge ie cow and chicken and catdod. that why i glad i get boom for and the old action cartoons on sundays.

JediTricks
07-29-2002, 01:38 AM
We don't know why the letter "Gee" is censored, we'll look into it. (it's fixed)

I think there are still a lot of Saturday morning cartoons on, Kids WB has toons from 7am till noon, ABC has a few hours, Fox has kids' entertainment from 7 till noon - that's a lot. Probably, the market can't bear today what it could 15 years ago what with the cost of producing and airing an animated show aimed solely at one demographic going way up. Kids are just into different stuff now adays - when I was a kid, I watched cartoons all morning but I rarely flipped around (unless one of the networks decided to cut off cartoons early for GOLF or something equally lame) so there wasn't a lot of variety in my viewing habits. I would assume that there just isn't room for 25 hours of broadcast-channel cartoons on Saturday anymore.

Originally posted by Exhaust Port
Over the last 2 months I've become fasinated by Sponge Bob Square Pants on Nick. Extremely funny innocent fun. I recommend it to everyone for a few laughs. My 4-year-old niece is a big fan of that show, so about 7 months ago I gave it a shot and I think it's funnier than most anything else on TV today. Some of it is not so innocent, and I really like that Spongebob is an adult who is just starting out in life similar to Rocko of "Rocko's Modern Life". And the show isn't always so innocent, they get in a few more adult gags (nothing raunchy or over the top though unlike Ren & Stimpy) and have some pretty interesting guest stars from time to time (Pantera did the music for an ep, Ernest Borgnine and Tim Conway have repeating characters).

scruffziller
07-29-2002, 05:19 AM
They already have a station like that, it's called Boomarang. They have the Smurfs and all the great Hanna Barbarra cartoons. They have part of it on late night on Cartoon Network on expanded basic. Didgital or SAT would give the whole channel.