PDA

View Full Version : Grammar in the Forums

Rogue II
07-28-2002, 04:36 PM
Maybe it's just me, but has anyone else noticed the how the English language has been taking a beating in the forums lately?

I admit, I am far from perfect myself. However, there seems to be lots of misspellings, punctuation errors, incomplete sentences, and run-ons. It’s to the point where some of the posts are practically unreadable. I don't people to be perfect, but some of these posts are not even close! It only takes a second to go over your post before you submit it.

I guess it could be because it is the summer and there are more kids posting that don't know better.

Ok, I vented. I feel much better.:D

LTBasker
07-28-2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Rogue II
I don't people to be perfect, but some of these posts are not even close! It only takes a second to go over your post before you submit it.

*Ahem* ;)

I know my grammar and spelling ain't perfect, but as long as it's readable and comprehensible it's ok I think. Good thing this isn't a gaming forum, you mention grammar on there and you get lynched. :D

Forhekset
07-28-2002, 05:04 PM
Grammar? It's not too bad on these forums to be honest with you. I've seen much, much worse. There's only a few people here with absolutely atrocious grammar/spelling, and I don't know if they're just non-native English speakers, or very young, or flat-out stupid, or some combination of the three.... I just use the handy "Ignore" feature for people whose posts I can't even begin to decipher. Bad grammar and spelling really irritate me.

Try checking out the hellhole that is the jediknightii.net forums, and you'll appreciate the grammar here at SSG, I guarantee it. :D It's like a gigantic AOL chatroom, centered around JK2, times 10. Lots of stupid acronyms and l33t-speak as far as the eye can see. Actually the JKII.net forums are even a little above the par for gaming websites, so it goes to show how much worse things could be here (not that things are bad in the first place, really).

Jargo
07-28-2002, 05:25 PM
For heavens sake! These messages are supposed to be the equivelent of a post-it note not a college thesis. It usually requires little extra brain power to decipher even the worst pidgin english. You want that everyone should pass an english exam before gaining the keys to the clubhouse? Oh let's have a Yale student only door policy. :mad:

Not everyone is blessed and fortunate enough to have the most perfect education. It's bloody elitist and rude to assume that they are in the wrong and should mend their ways. If you complain about someone's grammar or spelling then it's you who's at fault.

Jek Porky 2002
07-28-2002, 05:34 PM
i thnk my gramr is ok wot do u thnk txtb jek

DarthBrandon
07-28-2002, 05:38 PM
The issue of grammar mistakes on the forums doesn't bother me a bit. Everyone here is bound to make a mistake or two or three etc etc. I agree with Jargo on this matter, that's to say it doesn't matter, because I came here to chat, not to have a spelling contest. If I offended anyone I'm sorry that's just how I feel.:)

2-1B
07-28-2002, 05:38 PM
I asked my Uncul Hasrbo and he said my grammar is fine. :D

anyone else noticed the how the English language

I don't people to be perfect

QLD
07-28-2002, 05:40 PM
I have noticed it, but I don't really are. Every now and then I see something that makes me cringe, but who am I to judge?

I rarely proofread my posts, as most of you can tell, but I can attribute most of my mixups to typos.

Rogue II
07-28-2002, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker

*Ahem* ;)

I know my grammar and spelling ain't perfect, but as long as it's readable and comprehensible it's ok I think. Good thing this isn't a gaming forum, you mention grammar on there and you get lynched. :D

Looks like I'm getting lynched anyway.:rolleyes: :D If I would have realized this was a taboo subject, I wouldn't have posted it.

This is only 1 of 2 forums I ever read, so I don't know what generally happens in forums. I realize there people with all sort of different education levels here, so I don't expect college level posts from everybody.

I've just noticed (over the past month or so) that the general level of the posts have dropped slightly.

derek
07-28-2002, 05:58 PM
rogue 2,

you're going about this all the wrong way. what "you" should do is,don't bring this up untill the entire forum community is trying to help "you" by offering constructive criticism, then"you" can throw in their face the fact that those trying to help "you" can't spell and are inferior to "you", and "you" can stand by the fact that "you" are the supreme expert on all things trivia and women, even though you're a kid and your parents pay all "your" expences.:)

i'm just using "you" as an example. i don't mean in any way "you" would do this. remember, it's just an example.;) and this little smiley face wink makes it OK.

Jargo
07-28-2002, 06:08 PM
Oh yes, I forgot to add the wink smiley. How remiss of me.....

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Forhekset
07-28-2002, 06:33 PM
Yeah, whatever Jargo. I remember once you were complaining about people using some slang that you didn't recognize, being a Brit I guess, so let's try not to be too hypocritical, ok? Slang isn't the same as bad grammar or spelling, exactly, but it's close enough that I don't think you should be rushing to defend people who seem to have the grammatical skills of chimpanzees. But anyway, it isn't my problem if some people can't type out a legible post, it's theirs, because I'm just going to skip reading it and let someone else sit there trying to figure out their crappy typing, p!ss-poor grammar, and horrible spelling. They're the ones missing out, not me. I also don't make a habit of going around complaining about peoples' grammar. I just thought I'd weigh in since Rogue II there brought it up. Hooray, let's crucify me because I happen to find bad grammar and spelling annoying. :rolleyes:

I really wasn't even going to bother replying again, because it's no big concern to me what anyone else thinks about bad grammar. But I don't understand this lame argument of "duhh it isn't a college thesis". No one ever said it was SUPPOSED to be. I'd wager it takes less power to skim your post before submitting than it does for me to sit there and decipher some piece of crap that's supposed to be English. I don't think any of my posts are thesis-like, but there's a big difference between what I write and "LOL OMG wtf kthx". And yeah actually, maybe if you're too ignorant to type a legible post, you shouldn't be allowed to participate on the net. It would make the web a lot more tolerable I think, instead of being the bastion of stupidity that it is. Then again the internet pretty much just reflects the world we live in....

Anyway if that makes me elitist, then I guess I'm elitist.

Nexu
07-28-2002, 07:45 PM
I've been getting better, because I realized that if your grammer is good, it makes you look better over-all. ;)
You think this is bad, go over to the Serious Sam forums. :eek: Nothing but teh for the, eh added to a bunch of words, panis (guess ;)) pwns and 0wns for owns, 0wnage, stupid crap like that. :rolleyes: Good forum though, at times.

bigbarada
07-28-2002, 09:01 PM
I blame the horribly ineffective American public school system. A bunch of arrogant little ignoramus' is all we are churning out.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-28-2002, 09:28 PM
As a certified teacher in NY state, I will be (and have to some extent) used to correcting bad grammar. I don't think the grammar in this forum is overly bad. As others have mentioned, chatrooms and other forums are ten times worse as far as bad grammar, slang, poor language etc, is concerned. For the most part, the offenders are all young and in their teens and hopefully (hopefully!) their grammar will improve with age.

Eternal Padawan
07-28-2002, 11:45 PM
I don't mean to nitpick, but technically, Rogue II has a problem with our SYNTAX, not our GRAMMAR. Grammar is spoken, syntax is written (or typed). But since you started this thread, you obviously knew that, yeah? And after deciphering Sith Ninja's prose for so many months, everyones else's typing is a cakewalk.

;)

ROLLO!

QLD
07-29-2002, 12:05 AM
I was counting down to the moments Sith Ninja/Captain Panaka would be mentioned. I sorta miss the guy now. :D

I WEEEEELLLLL KIIEEEEELLLLL YOOOUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!

JediTricks
07-29-2002, 12:11 AM
Why would Grammar be in the forums? She doesn't even have an internet connection! :D

Seriously though folks, this medium is 100% text so what you type is how your concepts are perceived. The more difficult it is to comprehend, the less it will be understood, accepted, and respected. Everybody makes a few mistakes, but sometimes it's too much effort to decipher the text-equivalent of chicken scratches and these posts either get overlooked or made fun of, neither of which is good for healthy forum discussion. If one cannot properly communicate on a basic level, then perhaps discussion forums aren't right for that person.

Also, consider that one's bad grammar in the forums can have a virus-like effect, it seems like people see a forumite using "to" in place of "too" or "your" in place of "you're" a lot and they feel like it's ok for them to become lax in their grammar-usage and just generally make less sense as well. Once in a while, this mistake happens to everybody but if it becomes a regular bad habit, you're not getting your concepts across properly anymore and thus doing both yourself and others a disservice.

EP, "grammar - The study of how words and their component parts combine to form sentences". ;)

LTBasker
07-29-2002, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Seriously though folks, this medium is 100% text so what you type is how your concepts are perceived. The more difficult it is to comprehend, the less it will be understood, accepted, and respected.

Well we could always just record ourselves and then attach the wav file to the post. ;) Nah... would get too weird. :D Although instead of reading huge posts you could just listen to one...hmm... :)

darthvyn
07-29-2002, 01:22 AM
actually, i'm quite impressed with most people's spelling/grammar/syntax in these forums. i've been to WEB SITES that are trying to do BUSINESS that have horrible horrible mistakes in them!

sure, i don't capitalize unless i'm trying to emphasize a word, but it's more of a style/laziness thing than anything else...

i also use a lot of triple periods...

2-1B
07-29-2002, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by darthvyn
i also use a lot of triple periods...

ellipses . . . to the lay person. ;)

gibbspaulus
07-29-2002, 04:01 AM
Well, I think we need to chill. Some people write well, siome people speak well. Many others don't. Get over it. Even if you are 'just making an observation' it still comes across as snobbish, and, as Jargo pointed out, elitist. Imagine if you're not good at writing, post your first thread as best you acn, and then read the next thread slating bad grammar.

Would you come back?

scruffziller
07-29-2002, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by Jek Porky 2002
i thnk my gramr is ok wot do u thnk txtb jek
:D

Yea I'm, hukt on foniks!!!!! or is it bukt on foniks(In Living Color)

I agree this is a post it note atmosphere.

Eternal Padawan
07-29-2002, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Caesar

ellipses . . . to the lay person. ;)

Yuh meen whun thur moon whut crosses in front'er thuh sun?

My momma sed yuh don't look durectly at et, but I did an' now I need thur readin' glasses.

It stung ma eyes sumthin feerce.

ROLLO!

DeadEye
07-29-2002, 08:58 AM
And you people blame me for checking your spelling. ;):p

Jonna
07-29-2002, 11:37 AM
What for you talking? I ain't not got no problem with the spelling of the words I be writing.

mabudonicus
07-29-2002, 11:48 AM
Prooly thinkin uh somewun els, huh jonah?? As reference, perhaps someone can dig up a kit fristo post from the storied past. I think, if I recall correctly, the first post I read here was one of his.
Hey , EP- naw, ellipses is whut unca henry duz when he fallz offuh thuh waggen

billfremore
07-29-2002, 12:02 PM
Wat thuh hek arr yoo talken abowt fellers?

2-1B
07-29-2002, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by mabudon
Prooly thinkin uh somewun els, huh jonah?? As reference, perhaps someone can dig up a kit fristo post from the storied past. I think, if I recall correctly, the first post I read here was one of his.
Hey , EP- naw, ellipses is whut unca henry duz when he fallz offuh thuh waggen

Kit Fristo walks among us today as a Geonosian. (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6511) :)

Deoxyribonucleic
07-29-2002, 02:19 PM

I realize there people with all sort of different education levels here, so I don't expect college level posts from everybody.

To me, I don't think it really matters WHAT education peeps have, it's not like we are turning in resumes and cover letters....it's not like our future employers are going to do background checks on our posts at SSG :D (let's hope I don't eat those words hehe)...most of them probably don't even know what SSG is. I agree it is nice to have good grammar and such but I believe there is a time and a place for it. Many people are just typing quick to get their reply in, the last thing on their minds is grammar, including myself. But hey, each to their own. :)

Mandalorian Candidat
07-29-2002, 02:45 PM
Why do you guys keep picking on my poor grammar? She's been dead for a while now. What did she ever do to you?

Sheesh...

:dead:

billfremore
07-29-2002, 03:47 PM
You are to be picking on grammar that is bad.
Why for to you are doing this?
Does matter it?

As fact, who does care?

Jonna
07-29-2002, 04:23 PM
Aflak! AFLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKK! Quack! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Jargo
07-29-2002, 05:58 PM
And so it was that Mr. Wubbles, the wise old rabbit who lived in the bramble hedge on the edge of the forest, came to Loon town... :rolleyes:

RooJay
07-29-2002, 07:14 PM
I for one, don't have a problem with the grammar to be found in these pages. I understand that not everyone has had the same quality or quantity of education that I was privy to (I'm even willing to bet that some of our fellow forumites are...(GASP!) children! There are obviously also a fair number of us who simply don't care.). Heck, I even realize that I, myself, tend to make grammatical errors on a fairly regular basis (my writing style also tends to be kind of loose structurally). However, stickler that I am (...and I was always the pet of my English teachers!), I always have to struggle very hard to keep from attempting to correct peoples' mistakes when I see them.
Now that this has come into the open, I'd like to take this opportunity to point out some of the common errors I see made in these pages. Not to make fun of or belittle anyone here, but in an effort to assist and, in a sense, educate (or inform, if you will) those interested.:D

For those interested:

must've, could've, should've, etc. are commonly misspelled contractions; often appearing spelled as two separate words: must of, could of, should of, etc.. The same is true of the words "wouldn't", "couldn't", and "shouldn't"; which occasionally appear incorrectly as "wouldent", "couldent", and so on.

There is a difference between to the words "to", "too", and "two". You can never have "to much" of something. You CAN have "too much" of something.

The plural of Jedi should be "Jedi". As in, "There are many Jedi".

(Some may remember this one from my sig line; which I couldn't resist correcting and adopted for a short time) "Prolly" is not a word. The word you are searching for is "probably".

While it is not possible to "now" something, it IS possible to "know" something. Some of us apparently didn't know that until now! :D

Here are some commonly misspelled names from the Star Wars galaxy itself:

Anakin, and not "Anikan" or "Anikin".
Dooku, and not "Dooka".
Tusken, and not "Tuskin".
Labria, and not "Labia" (JUST KIDDING! God forbid!)
Amidala, and not "Amidalla".
Yareal Poof, and not "Yareel Poof".

I could go on, but I think I've gotten it out of my system for now. Just tryin' ta be helpful!;) :crazed:

Jargo
07-29-2002, 07:29 PM
Don't go beatin' round the bush now RooJay... ;)

JediTricks
07-29-2002, 10:01 PM
To much or not to much, that is the question. Whether it is nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing them, end them.

LTBasker
07-29-2002, 10:05 PM
"When do you want your sandwich?"
"NOW!"

I just made it possible to now something. :happy:

DeadEye
07-29-2002, 10:11 PM
RooJay, you are forgetting the most common, annoying, and unforgiveable grammatical error of them all: you're.

Let me clear it up for everyone, who apparently didn't pay attention in the third grade: You're is you are. Your indicates posession. I'm sorry, but that really just irritates me.

LTBasker
07-29-2002, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by DeadEye
You're is you are. Your indicates posession. I'm sorry, but that really just irritates me.

Posession is 9/10ths of the law! :D

Sometimes bad grammar is understandable like if one is in a rush and is just making a quick post. However, I know that several people also like to do it just because it draws more attention to them and they find it "funny."

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-29-2002, 10:22 PM
My high school English teacher (an eccentric kinda guy) wrote in paint on his bumper of his really beat up 80's station wagon, "A LOT is TWO words!"

The teacher also said at the beginning of the year, if there was one thing he wanted us to remember from his class, it is "a lot is two words."

I liked him alot!

DeadEye
07-29-2002, 10:24 PM
LOL!!!!

I didn't really understand that bit until I was in the sixth grade...a lot is two words, however.

Tycho
07-30-2002, 02:08 AM
Did anyone consider that English is not the first language for many visitors here?

If you type in Star Wars and run a search for fan websites, no doubt Sie will ein deutches site gefunden wenn Mann fragt "Donde este Star Wars?"

So some visitors need some slack. Star Wars is popular in Mexico, Japan, Germany, France, even Turkey (as I know figures are at least sold in these countries). People there want to reach out and communicate with fans from all over the world. There are certainly sites based in their home countries and in their native language, but SSG often has great news and the latest pics and this is where they come to see the coverage, so it makes some sense that this is where a lot of our foreign fans would want to talk about it.

Even some of our Canadian fans speak French first, English second, and SSG is not just a site created for Americans, British, Irish, Australians, and Canadians. This really is an internationally known site. With that comes non-native English speakers.

Not to mention children, and with them, children of all these different nationalities.

All I can say is: if you're here and you want to talk to the rest of us, make an effort to read and learn to improve your English while you're sharing your opinions, questions and comments with the rest of us. We are an English-based site.

And if you are a native of the U.S.A., U.K., Australia, New Zealand, English-speaking Canada, etc. and English is your first language, and you're over the age of 12 or something like that, you should be starting to post correct or we will think you're "a freaking idiot!"

Dr. Evil made me put that in there...

The rest is mostly my opinion.:)

QLD
07-30-2002, 02:20 AM
Maybe we should all sit down and watch School House Rock.

2-1B
07-30-2002, 02:28 AM
Ich stimme dir zu, Tycho. :)
Ob ich ins eine deutsche SSG gehen, sie finden mein deutsch sehr schrechlich. Ich habe es nicht seit sechs jahren studieren . . . und ich bin vier und zwantig jahre alt. Aber ich hore wie ich bin nur vier wenn ich deutsch spreche. :D
Vielen dank mein damen und herren!

Beast
07-30-2002, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
Maybe we should all sit down and watch School House Rock.
Maybe we should. After all it does come out on DVD August 27th. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

plasticfetish
07-30-2002, 03:18 AM
DoubleplusLOL.

I've a bellyfeel for what's been said.
If we'd all post using newspeak (http://www.newspeakdictionary.com), then things would be doubleplusgood as the forums would be unstupid and free of thoughtcrime.

:|

Jargo
07-30-2002, 06:07 AM
Absolutamente franco pienso esta edición entera soy no un arrancador y alguna gente no está consiguiendo a excedente hysterical nada la manera que la gente consigue el excedente hysterical usando un mal de la bifurcación en una tabla o una gente de cena que remete una servilleta en su collar en vez de ponerlo en su regazo. La norma es al parecer altamente norteamericana blanco educado y toda es anormal. Extraño. Ridículos inferiores al nivel normal le consiguen a vida los supremiscists del blanco del elitista. Doy la bienvenida a todos los amigos no hispanohablantes hacia fuera allí. Doy la bienvenida todo el a ésos como mí que no consiguió una mayor nivel de la educación. Éstas son la gente que hace que el mundo da vuelta no a los correctores obligatorios waspy de la gramática del snobbish.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tout à fait franchement je pense cette issue entière est non un initiateur et certains n'obtiennent à excédent hysterical rien la manière que les gens obtiennent l'excédent hysterical en utilisant un mal de fourchette à une table ou à un peuple de dîner rempliant une serviette dans leur collier au lieu de le mettre sur leur recouvrement. Apparemment la norme est fortement nord-américaine blanc instruit et tout autrement est anormale. Bizarre. Risibles inférieurs vous obtiennent à une vie des supremiscists de blanc d'élitiste. Je souhaite la bienvenue à tous les amis non-anglophones dehors là. Je fais bon accueil tout à ceux comme moi qui n'a pas obtenu un niveau élevé d'éducation. Ce sont le peuple qui font le monde tourner pas les correcteurs compulsifs waspy de grammaire de snobbish.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ziemlich aufrichtig denke ich diese vollständige Ausgabe bin ein nicht Starter und einige Leute erhalten hysterical Over nichts die Weise, die Leute hysterical Over mit einem Gabelunrecht an einem Abendtische oder Leuten erhalten, die eine Serviette in ihren Stellring verstauen, anstatt, ihn auf ihren Schoß zu setzen. Anscheinend ist die Norm in hohem Grade erzogenes weißes nordamerikanisches und alles sonst ist anormal. Freaky. Nicht der Norm entsprechende laughable. erhalten einem Leben Sie Elitärweiß supremiscists. Ich begrüße alle nicht englischsprechenden Freunde heraus dort. Ich begrüße alles die wie ich, der nicht einen hohen Standard der Ausbildung erhielt. Diese sind die Leute, die die Welt nicht snobbish waspy compulsive Grammatikkorrektoren drehen lassen.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Abbastanza franco penso questa edizione intera sono non un dispositivo d'avviamento e qualche gente non sta ottenendo ad eccedenza hysterical niente il senso che la gente ottiene l'eccedenza hysterical usando un torto della forcella ad una tabella o ad una gente di pranzo che rimbocca un tovagliolo nel loro collare invece di metterlo sul loro giro. La norma è apparentemente altamente nordamericano bianco istruito e tutto altrimenti è anormale. Freaky. Laughable. inferiori alla media li ottengono ad una vita supremiscists di bianco dell'elitista. Accolgo favorevolmente tutti gli amici non di lingua inglese fuori là. Mi accolgo favorevolmente tutto quelli che non ha ottenuto un alto livello di formazione. Queste sono la gente che fa il mondo girare non i correttori compulsive waspy di grammatica dello snobbish.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Completamente frankly eu penso desta edição inteira sou non um acionador de partida e alguns povos não estão começando a excesso hysterical nada a maneira que os povos começam excesso hysterical usando um erro da forquilha um uma tabela de jantar ou os povos que dobram um napkin em seu colar em vez de o pôr sobre seu regaço. Aparentemente a norma é altamente norte-americana branco educado e tudo mais é anormal. Freaky. Laughable. sub-standard. começam-no a uma vida supremiscists do branco do elitista. Eu dou boas-vindas a todos os amigos faladores non ingleses para fora lá. Eu dou boas-vindas todo o àqueles como mim que não começou um padrão elevado da instrução. Estes são os povos que fazem o mundo girar não correctores compulsive waspy da gramática do snobbish.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
이 전체 문제점이 무 시동기 이고 얼마간 사람 hysterical 정상 에게 아무것을 사람이 hysterical 정상을 얻는 방법 얻고 있지 않다 것 을 확실히 솔직하게 나는 생각해 포크 부정을또는 사 람을 그들의 랩에 그것을 두기의 그들의 고리로 냅킨을 대신에 적으로 넣는 정찬 테이블에 사용한. 명백하게 규범은 높게 교 육하곤 백색 북쪽 미국 이고 모두는 그밖에 이상하다. 별난 . Sub-standard. 우스운 일생에게 너를 엘리트주의자 백색 supremiscists 얻는다. 나는 모든 무 영국 말하는 친구를 밖 으로 거기서 환영한다. 나는 모든 교육의 높은 기준을 얻지 않 은 나에게같이 그들을 환영한다. 이들은 세계에 아니다 snobbish waspy 강제적적인 문법 교정자를 돈 사람 이다.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
この全問題が始動機非であり, ある人々hysterical 余分に何も人々がhysterical 余分を得る方法得ていないことをかなり率直に私は考えフォークの悪事をか彼らのラップにそれを置くかわりに 彼らのつばにナプキンを押し込めている人々食卓で使用する。外見上標準は教育された白い北アメリカ非常にで あり, 他にすべては異常である。Freaky 。標準以下のlaughable. 生命にあなたをエリートの白のsupremiscists 得る。私は非英語を話す友人全員をそこに歓迎する。私はすべて私のようなそれらを歓迎する教育の高水準を得 なかった。これらは人々である世界にない snobbish waspy compulsive 文法校正者を回させる。

Rogue II
07-30-2002, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

Maybe we should. After all it does come out on DVD August 27th. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

And the DVD has some never before seen footage!

Conjunction Junction, what's your function?

jeddah
07-30-2002, 08:39 AM
I find it hilarious that the US has a bastardised version of English and seems to be the most verbose about it's corruption... :D :D :p

jeddah

mabudonicus
07-30-2002, 08:42 AM
EJ- want me to correct your French:)?!?! (Just Kidding, man, I could follow it at least, and it's my 2nd language, though I learned it since kindergarten through grade 13-we had that back then)
Your Japanese is atrocious. Kono was used in place of sono, and you have to change every wa to ga or it just doesn't make ANY sense!! How dare you post such pointless.... oh, no wait, I just realised what you were saying... NEVER MIND:)!!!!
BTW- I was typing while you posted Jeddah, and saw it once submitted. ROFL, I always thought that was kinda funny. Real heavy about english LITE, or perhaps english Dee-lux!!! Should take it in Nite school, so as to get rid of all this prejudism, huh:)???

DeadEye
07-30-2002, 09:15 AM
I always despised Schoolhouse Rock.

Ich bin sibzieg Jahre alt und wohne in Kansas. Mein Hund ist schnell und sch(o)n mit schwarz Haare und braune Augen. Sie ist nur eine Jahre alt. Ach na ja, ich kann Englisch und ein bischen Deutsch. :D

QLD
07-30-2002, 10:31 AM
Deadeye, I honestly think you are too young to appreciate School House Rock. As it was in it's heyday in the late 70's early 80's.

It's all about our need for childhood memories.

I'm just a bill....a lonely old bill.....and I'm sittin' here on capitol hill...

Beast
07-30-2002, 10:39 AM
Agreed QLD. You really have to be a child of the 70's and 80's to really appreciate it. It's the MTV generation, they have no time for learning stuff in a fun musical way. Can't wait for the DVD. Ahh, the memories. We shall enjoy them. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
07-30-2002, 10:41 AM
Yeah, I am going to have a lot of things to buy once I finish buying my house and paying for my wedding........

a whole lot......ugh :dead:

Rogue II
07-30-2002, 11:23 AM
Remember this? A bunch of alternative bands made this album. It came out a few years ago.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000005J80/qid=1028046017/sr=2-3/ref=sr_2_3/103-4585307-7919027

I heard a few songs from it. It just wasn't the same.

Lolly, Lolly, Lolly, Get Your Adverbs Here

DeadEye
07-30-2002, 11:51 AM
Jar Jar,

I can understand what you're saying, but I don't even watch MTV. And I, too, grew up with Schoolhouse Rock--you forget that I lived in Germany for 12 years. And AFN, the horrible channels there, didn't show annoying commercials but equally annoying educational factoids of relatively useless information. They also showed a Schoolhouse Rock song on basically every commercial break.

jeddah
07-30-2002, 12:28 PM
Prejudice need not necessarily be exterminated fully Mab' :eek:, it comes natural and we all have our little prejudices one way or the other, whether we admit to them or not ;) In any case, I think it would take a lot of lite nite classes ;) to purge us all.

I was going to night school to, like, learn how to be good but then I was like, weeeeeeeeee. :D

jeddah

Rogue II
07-30-2002, 12:28 PM
Those AFN (Armed Forces Network) educational factiods are way more annoying than Schoolhouse Rock. I'm not saying Schoolhouse Rock is the epitome of educational television, but you can tell those actors, writers, and directors the Government hired to do those AFN bits were the bottom of the barrel.

2-1B
07-30-2002, 12:41 PM
I'm a child of the 70s/80s, and hate Schoolhouse Rock. :)

Deadeye, konnen Sie mein deutsch verstehen? Es ist nicht so gut, dass weiss ich. Ich habe auch ein hund! Zwei! Jetzt fressen sie, und eine tasse kafee trinken . . . nicht virklich, nur wasser. :D

Furor Jargo, ob ich deine post richtig lesen, ich stimme dir zu - ja, sehr freaky :crazed: Alle von die Vereinigen Staaten glauben, dass Sie immer gut Englisch sprechen . . . aber wir sind virklich blode scheisse. :D

"Sehr Lange Schwantz" -- Was fur ein name ist das ? ? ? :confused:

darthvyn
07-30-2002, 12:48 PM
oh, yeah? well,

uh ga bloog den martuca. quin gah dah nah gah dah. bam ene ler moch dah macheritsepolsychamacra'bog.

mi CHOLMUCHRATESUP!

Jonna
07-30-2002, 12:52 PM
No!

Bla bla bla. Bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla! Bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla!

Capitan_Moroni
07-30-2002, 12:53 PM
gah! do you guys remember Sith Ninja? now that was some bad grammer.....

Pendo
07-30-2002, 12:53 PM
I haven't a clue how accurate this is because I cheated:

Weil DeadEye und Caesar auf Deutsch sprechen, den I mich würden versuchen dachten, aber ich nicht kann, genau diese Übersetzer auf dem Internet sind! Ich habe nie einen Hund gehabt und nicht ein, weil sie riechen, ich bin mehr einer Katzeperson wünsche!

PENDO!

2-1B
07-30-2002, 12:59 PM
Pendo, ich verstehe dich! Warum kann ich nicht umlauts schreiben? :cry:

Du bist einer Katzeperson, ich habe eine Katzenjammer! :D

Pendo
07-30-2002, 01:01 PM
I haven't a clue what you're saying to me!!! You're probably telling me that what I said didn't make sense!

Give me 5 minutes to find that translator again...

PENDO!

Pendo
07-30-2002, 01:09 PM
Caesar, Danke für das Verstehen ich. Ich bin froh, was ich gebildete Richtung sagte, weil diese Netz translaters normalerweise Material in eine Last des Abfalls übersetzen. Sowieso muß ich den Halle Porter gehen und verlangen, weil es scheint, einen Frosch in meinem bidet zu geben. :D Kennen Sie irgendwelche guten deutschen Fluchwörter?

PENDO!

Jargo
07-30-2002, 01:20 PM
A frog in your bidet? :confused: weirdo.... :rolleyes: ;)

Caesar, spreche ich nicht Deutsches, ich benutze den Alta Vista Übersetzer. Jedoch wenn Sie Anzeigen auf Deutsch schreiben, sollten Sie beachten, daß Scheiße ein freches Wort ist und wenn jedermann zurückübersetzt, es uns aussehen wie schlechte Jungen bildet. EEK!

darthvyn
07-30-2002, 01:25 PM
flaggei buh niop det remmlach duh garp? RI clish dan gimm deh guh bi re. raaaaaaaaah dier guti mave wul ret ter yei! buh juh gim do perno arquep!

Jargo
07-30-2002, 01:32 PM
Darthvyn, versuchen Sie zu stark Sie sollten mit dem Fluß gehen und das Alta Vista Babelfish translator (http://world.altavista.com/tr) hahaha! :D verwenden der gehabt zu werden Spaß,, wenn rückseitig, etwas übersetzend, das bereits back-translating. hehehehe war.

Jargo
07-30-2002, 01:34 PM
Il ketchup è fiammifero per una buona crema dell'insalata dal vostro capretto laterale!

Le ketchup n'est aucune allumette pour une bonne crème de salade par votre gosse latéral!

Ketschup ist kein Gleiches für eine gute Salatcreme durch Ihr seitliches Zicklein!

O ketchup não é nenhum fósforo para um creme bom do salad por seu miúdo lateral!

¡La salsa de tomate no es ningún fósforo para una buena crema de la ensalada de su cabrito lateral!

:happy:

Jonna
07-30-2002, 01:41 PM
Ž„‚Í‘f°‚炵‚¢parsley ‹y‚Ñketchup ‚ð”õ‚¦‚½grittle ‚ÌŽ„‚Ì giblets ‚̏ã‚Å—g‚ª‚é‚Ì‚ðD‚ށB

DeadEye
07-30-2002, 01:42 PM
This is about as off-topic as we can get.

Caesar, I understood you...you claimed to drink coffee but actually only water? You'll forgive me if I don't understand your odd sense of humor...;):D

Jonna
07-30-2002, 01:48 PM
*Edit*

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!!! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I'm happy again! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I just realised that someone might just be able to translate that so I erased it. What did it say? Oh, nothing.

billfremore
07-30-2002, 01:51 PM
I see they're sending out Ritalin™ samples in the mail again.

Who started this ridiculous thread anyways?

Jargo
07-30-2002, 01:54 PM
Ridickerless? How so.......? :sur:

2-1B
07-31-2002, 01:51 AM
Caesar, I understood you...you claimed to drink coffee but actually only water? You'll forgive me if I don't understand your odd sense of humor...;):D

No silly, I said

"I have a dog too - two actually! Right now they are eating, and having a cup of coffee. Not really, just water."
:D

Jargo, you had me fooled! :D If one of my fellow Amerikaner posted in five languages, I would think something was up . . . but a fine English chap like yourself or Pendo being learn-ed in such ways wouldn't surprise me one bit! :)

Pendo, that last post was a bit tough for me to understand . . . earlier I said "you are a cat person, I have a hangover" because of the common word, "katzen". But after reading your last post, I do feel hungover! May as well pour a glass of whiskey now . . .
No, I'll keep it German and down some Jagermeister! :D
Or in case my wallet is light, I'll just drain some Meister Brau . . . :dead:

plasticfetish
07-31-2002, 02:11 AM
alle Sie wie Heino (http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/5991/)?

Pendo
07-31-2002, 09:01 AM
Pendo, that last post was a bit tough for me to understand . . . earlier I said "you are a cat person, I have a hangover" because of the common word, "katzen". But after reading your last post, I do feel hungover! May as well pour a glass of whiskey now . . .

Oops, sorry about my bad translation of English to German! Don't blame me, blame the translator I was using on the Internet!! They always translate into rubish! At least I've found out why everyone was laughing at me when I was in Germany :stupid:!
I wish I could remember what I was supposed to be saying to you, then I could tell you in English! :confused:

I still haven't got my frog out of my bidet yet! I'm waiting for the hall porter to arive to get rid of it....yes I've just realised I AM a weirdo :cry:.

Anyway, in a language I cannot mess up:
tot siens!! ;)

PENDO!

DeadEye
07-31-2002, 09:41 AM
Deadeye, konnen Sie mein deutsch verstehen? Es ist nicht so gut, dass weiss ich. Ich habe auch ein hund! Zwei! Jetzt fressen sie, und eine tasse kafee trinken . . . nicht virklich, nur wasser. :D

That means, "Can you understand my German? I know that it is not too good. I also have a dog! Two! Now they are eating, and drinking a cup of coffee...not really, only water."

I still don't get it.

darthvyn
07-31-2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Darthvyn, versuchen Sie zu stark Sie sollten mit dem Fluß gehen und das Alta Vista Babelfish translator (http://world.altavista.com/tr) hahaha! :D verwenden der gehabt zu werden Spaß,, wenn rückseitig, etwas übersetzend, das bereits back-translating. hehehehe war.

Meh! whatever. made up language is fun.

yr'tyu?

Rogue II
07-31-2002, 11:32 AM
Las cucarachas entran, pero no pueden salir.

Evael tonnac yeht tub retne sehcaorkcoc eht.

El Chuxter
07-31-2002, 11:38 AM
Las cucarachas entran, pero no pueden salir.

If you're quoting what I think you're quoting, you might like this:

"Hey! Can't you see I'm WALKING here?"
"Dah, I yam a bearded lady!"

I miss Ren & Stimpy. :cry:
:crazed:

Beast
07-31-2002, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
I miss Ren & Stimpy. :cry: :crazed:
TNN is going to start reshowing the series next spring. They even produced 6 new episodes to show as well. And also a TV movie is possibly in the works. :D

http://www.cinescape.com/0/Editorial.asp?aff_id=0&this_cat=Television&action=page&obj_id=35445

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
07-31-2002, 11:58 AM

That means, "Can you understand my German? I know that it is not too good. I also have a dog! Two! Now they are eating, and drinking a cup of coffee...not really, only water."

I still don't get it.

:stupid:

There's nothing to "get", I was just being goofy.

Forget I ever said it.

QLD
07-31-2002, 12:03 PM
Oooohhhhh....Ren and Stimpy!!!!!!!!!!!!

ummm....I mean, how....nice.

2-1B
07-31-2002, 12:06 PM
Pendo, I am a complete fool! Duh, how could I not recall your trip to Germany - you specifically told me you didn't know the language. What's the German word for "pushover" ? :D :D :D

Rogue II
07-31-2002, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

TNN is going to start reshowing the series next spring. They even produced 6 new episodes to show as well. And also a TV movie is possibly in the works. :D

JOY! I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself.:D

I just never understood how why that cartoon was marketed for kids. Some of those things in that show were just wrong.:rolleyes: But then again, if you go back and watch some of the Bugs Bunny cartoons, there were a few sexual references, not to mention a ton of war propaganda.

Jar Jar, your wealth of knowledge amazes me yet again. Is there anything you don't know about?;) :D

Beast
07-31-2002, 02:05 PM
Jar Jar, your wealth of knowledge amazes me yet again. Is there anything you don't know about?;) :D
How Deadeye's Death Star size ego can be contained by such a small head? ;) :D Actually I'm just well read, and I have no life other then offering what help I can to the forums. Just trying to give back to the community that I love so much. But I would never consider myself an expert in these things. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
07-31-2002, 06:12 PM
Umm, I think we're lost. I'd stop to ask for directions, but really, the main road wasn't so great to begin with.

aka

thread closed.