07-29-2002, 09:01 AM
Fifth Element

Pendo
07-29-2002, 09:21 AM
Harry Potter - I think it's a GREAT film but none of my friends like it :(

PENDO!

robman71
07-29-2002, 09:43 AM
Mars Attacks, no one I know likes this movie. I usually have to watch it alone locked up in a room by myself.

DeadEye
07-29-2002, 09:55 AM
I liked Mars Attacks, too! :D
I loved Eight Legged Freaks, but my dad hated it. And my dad loved The Sum of All Fears and I hated it. :p

billfremore
07-29-2002, 09:58 AM
Nobody liked the Adventures of Ford Fairlane, but I did. :D

DeadEye
07-29-2002, 10:09 AM
I've never even heard of that movie, so I'll take your word for it. ;)

billfremore
07-29-2002, 10:10 AM
Oh and Rocketeer, another fun movie.

QLD
07-29-2002, 10:12 AM
Tank Girl

billfremore
07-29-2002, 10:27 AM
Ahh man Tank Girl rocked.

Firefox, another good one nobody likes

DeadEye
07-29-2002, 10:45 AM
You mean, another one I haven't heard of. :D

scruffziller
07-29-2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Pendo
Harry Potter - I think it's a GREAT film but none of my friends like it :(

PENDO!

Ah yes How can I forget the Harry Potter series

sith_killer_99
07-29-2002, 11:47 AM
Dr. Strangelove

or

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

I'm a big Stan Kubrick fan.:D

I also enjoyed Ford Fairlane, what can I say, I'm also a fan of Andrew Dice Clay (sp?).

Tank Girl rocked!

Mars Attacks...JACK playing the PRESIDENT (and others)...CLASSIC!!!:D

Jonna
07-29-2002, 11:52 AM
Where the Buffalo roam! Kind of a boring/slow movie but you gotta love any movie of the life of Hunter Thompson.

billfremore
07-29-2002, 12:02 PM
Clash of the Titans, man was that cheesy but I thought it was good.

Howard the Duck, Popeye and Captain America (yes, even with the rubber ears I liked it):D

SWAFMAN
07-29-2002, 12:04 PM
[[[ flinches in anticipation of incoming hurled rocks... ]]]

A.I.

I also liked Harry Potter. I enjoyed it more than LOTR and just as much as EP2.
What Dreams May Come
Meet Joe Black

What about the opposite situation - movies you disliked that most others you know liked?

LOTR (eh... it was okay, I guess. Nice effects)
Sum of All Fears (I, too, was unimpressed)
Mission Impossible #1
The Others

billfremore
07-29-2002, 12:06 PM
This is a rock. @

This is me flinging a rock at SWAFMAN's head for liking a movie that sucked rocks!:D

-------------------------------------------@

billfremore
07-29-2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by SWAFMAN
What about the opposite situation - movies you disliked that most others you know liked?

I think me and the wife are the only people on the planet who seem to realize that Gladiator is a really bad movie.

That and there is no freaking way that Russell Crowe deserved the best actor oscar for that soliliquay-filled piece of tripe performance.

sith_killer_99
07-29-2002, 12:27 PM
Someone liked Howard the Duck?

Quick...Someone call George Lucas!!!

JK, I also enjoyed Howard the Duck...or was it his beautiful co-star.;)

billfremore
07-29-2002, 12:53 PM
You mean when Lea Thompson is running around in her underwear?

Oh yeah, i really hated that. :rolleyes: :D

SWAFMAN
07-29-2002, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by billfremore

I think me and the wife are the only people on the planet who seem to realize that Gladiator is a really bad movie.

That and there is no freaking way that Russell Crowe deserved the best actor oscar for that soliliquay-filled piece of tripe performance.

I thought the movie itself was okay, but I agree about Crowe in Gladiator. I thought he deserved it for A Beautiful Mind, but I didn't see the big deal about his work in The Happy Roman ;). I did think J. Phoenix deserved the supporting actor award for his work in Gladiator, though.

Jonna
07-29-2002, 02:01 PM

YOu're not the only one!:dead: :dead: :dead:

Jon
07-29-2002, 06:10 PM
Suicide Kings
Fletch Lives
The Spanish Prisoner

Lobito
07-29-2002, 06:15 PM
I wouldnt say i LOVE the films, but somehow i liked them.

Jaws, Anaconda, Dungeons and Dragons, Austin Powers, Rob Roy.

RooJay
07-29-2002, 07:25 PM
I have liked just about every movie mentioned so far (most of my friends do too!) except for Firefox, Where the Buffalo Roam, The Sum of All Fears, Meet Joe Black, Fletch Lives, Dungeons and Dragons, and the Spanish Prisoner; all of which, I have not seen. Captain America, however, just totally sucked.

Perhaps you and your wife are just the only two people on the planet who didn't realize how good a movie it was.;) True, not the best, but definitely very good. That's my take at least!

DeadEye
07-29-2002, 08:10 PM
What are you talking about? Gladiator was a masterpiece! IMHO one of the only movies that actually deserved the awards it won. :D

Deoxyribonucleic
07-29-2002, 09:46 PM
Adventures of Barron Munchausen

I love it because it's so crazy off the wall. Either people don't know what it is or they can't even get through the first ten minutes. How sad :(

and I love all of the Lethal Weapon movies! :)

Darth Sidious
07-29-2002, 11:24 PM
Mystery Men. Seriously. In my opinion, that movie ruled. It definitely makes my top 5 list of favorite movies, if you exclude SW.

DeadEye
07-29-2002, 11:36 PM
Sidious, I liked Mystery Men too! I was one of the few people that actually found it funny... "This little stress ball saved your life!" :p

The Lethal Weapon movies are okay. I like the Die Hards better. The weapons in the LW series aren't handled as realistically.

JediTricks
07-29-2002, 11:55 PM
Star Trek: TMP
Star Trek 5
Hudson Hawk
Amazon Women on the Moon
Kentucky Fried Movie
5th Element
The Adventures of Ford Fairlane
Rocketeer
Labyrinth
The 3 Musketeers (the one with Charlie Sheen and Keifer Sutherland)
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
Men At Work
Hamlet (the one w/ Mel Gibson who makes the dialogue actually make SENSE for once)
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Hook
UHF
License To Kill

As for movies I dislike that everybody else likes:
- SW: Ep 2
- Mission Impossible 2
- Batman Returns
- Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind
- ET
- Rush Hour

QLD
07-30-2002, 12:25 AM
EVERYONE LOVES UHF!!!!

And I like Three Musketeers too!

MikeAndTheBots
07-30-2002, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
Dr. Strangelove

or

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

I'm a big Stan Kubrick fan.:D

How could anyone night like Dr. Strangelove? That movie was a classic!
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!" :D

scruffziller
07-30-2002, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
[list] Star Trek: TMP

Ah finally someone who I can relate to.

Exhaust Port
07-30-2002, 11:09 AM
Robot Jox
Amazon Women from the Moon
Cool as Ice
Top Secret (just my girlfriend doesn't understand why I like it)
AI

billfremore
07-30-2002, 12:05 PM
Top Secret was a great movie!

Skeet surfing...

bigbarada
07-30-2002, 12:38 PM
Even though they are kind of cheesy I like the old Rankin Bass cartoons of The Hobbit and Return of the King. I think they just bring back a bunch of cool memories.

I also liked AI, and never really understood the hatred people have for that film.

Pearl Harbor was also a really good movie, especially if you buy the R-rated version. It's great! There's arms being blown off, blood spurting everywhere, severed heads, fingers and toes, bodies being ripped apart by bullets before they even hit the ground. It's beautiful.:)

Exhaust Port
07-30-2002, 12:39 PM
It just recently came out on DVD thank goodness.

"I know a little German............he's standing right over there."

DeadEye
07-30-2002, 12:42 PM
Bigbarada,

The new 4-disc set of Pearl Harbor has new gore? I wondered why they boosted the rating from PG-13 to R...however, that doesn't change all the untrue BS they put in the movie, like Zeroes shooting at civilians on the ground. :rolleyes:

bigbarada
07-30-2002, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by DeadEye
Bigbarada,

The new 4-disc set of Pearl Harbor has new gore? I wondered why they boosted the rating from PG-13 to R...however, that doesn't change all the untrue BS they put in the movie, like Zeroes shooting at civilians on the ground. :rolleyes:

Yes, the R-Rated version is much more gory.

I'm pretty sure the Zeroes did shoot at the civilians on the ground (remember almost 200 Hawaiian civilians were killed in the attack and they certainly weren't on the battleships). Of course that is all relative to who you ask and what their agenda is. If your school textbook or teacher told you that they didn't shoot at the civilians then you can pretty much guarantee that information is incorrect.

Exhaust Port
07-30-2002, 11:03 PM
I believe those civilians killed were those on the military base and some killed by bombs that fell just off base. Nothing similar to what was depicted in the movie.

Hey, I didn't realize we had angled-deck aircraft carriers in the 40's? It's an embarrassingly inaccurate movie. Give me Tora Tora Tora any day.

bigbarada
07-30-2002, 11:13 PM
I will admit that I have not done too much personal research on Pearl Harbor, I'm just naturally distrustful of the propaganda passed off as fact in the current public school system. You guys might be right, though.

Tora, Tora, Tora is a much better film. No arguments there.

billfremore
07-30-2002, 11:52 PM
I refuse to see Pearl Harbour on principle.

From what I hear the 20 minute attack sequence is as impressive as much as the rest of the movie sucks rocks.

rynobot
07-31-2002, 12:58 AM
How High -because I doubt my parents would be pleased.
Half Baked- same reason
Office Space- just loves it so much Micheal Bolton

Who knows I might like even more movies.

JON9000
07-31-2002, 01:20 AM
BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA!!!

It's Awesome!

JediTricks
07-31-2002, 02:53 AM
Half Baked
Office Space
Big Trouble in Little China

3 good choices I can't believe I forgot. Unlike Rynobot, my parents don't have problems with Half Baked. :D

The first half of Office Space is probably the funniest bit of comedy from the '90s, Mike Judge really directed a great little film there, I just wish the last 1/3rd was as funny as the first 2/3rds (everything up to the "the printer scene").

Darth Nihilus
07-31-2002, 03:47 AM

LOTR (eh... it was okay, I guess. Nice effects)
Sum of All Fears (I, too, was unimpressed)
Mission Impossible #1
The Others

The Matrix, most people come out of this film feeling as though they have attended an important lecture on existentialism when in reality the narrative was sloppy and aimless with very little real thought put into it; even the visuals couldn't save this dung.

The Patriot and ID4. Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin are lazy when it comes to story and simply rehash the same formula time and time again and throw in the old patriotic trump card to try and make their movies matter. Come to think of it the same applies to Jerry Bruckheimer produced movies.

rynobot
07-31-2002, 03:59 AM
The printer scene is the best plot in the world. I wish they would have expanded on it.

Let me guess JEdiTricks your parents grew up as Dead Heads. My parents were in that era too but my dad fought in "Naim" so that "lifestyle" was thrown out the window.

Oh another movie nowone knows I like is

Flirting With Disaister

Even though I haven't seen the whole movie, just the last hour, I already like it alot. I am a big fan of Ben Stiller.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
07-31-2002, 04:27 AM
All the Pokemon movies:rolleyes:

rynobot
07-31-2002, 04:30 AM
wow all of em, I never knew there were any.:rolleyes:

scruffziller
07-31-2002, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port

Cool as Ice

Yea me too. I own that movie. I payed $89 for it because it was never brought out on regular video. I am still a huge Vanilla Ice fan.

billfremore
07-31-2002, 09:52 AM
The Kentucky Fried Movie

The Zucker Bros. first film.
(for those who don't know the Zuckers are the ones who did Airplane and the naked gun movies)

Exhaust Port
07-31-2002, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by scruffziller
Yea me too. I own that movie. I payed $89 for it because it was never brought out on regular video. I am still a huge Vanilla Ice fan.

Wow, I think I ended up paying $25 for one off eBay 3-4 years ago.

What exactly is "regular video?" I remember it being released on VHS soon (very soon) after the movie hit the theaters and finding it in all the local video rental places for the next few years. Some time in the early 90's it disappeared totally from the shelves. Why was it $89? Just curious.

billfremore
07-31-2002, 11:21 AM
Terror in the Aisles

Sort of a movie documentary about horror flicks.
Always fun to go back and revisit it.

Jayspawn
07-31-2002, 12:04 PM
I really liked The Avengers with Ralph Fines, Uma Thurman and Sean Connery. I though it was pretty cool.

"He who carries an umbrella prays for rain."

"And he who doesn't is a fool."

Nobody I know liked it.

DeadEye
07-31-2002, 12:14 PM
I saw The Avengers three times on an airplane. I thought it was rather campy...but at least someone likes it. :D

companim02
07-31-2002, 12:15 PM
I can't believe nobody remembers "National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon"

sith_killer_99
07-31-2002, 12:21 PM
I remember Loaded Weapon...

Emilio Estevez
Kathy Ireland

Good flick.;)

DeadEye
07-31-2002, 12:44 PM
Loaded Weapon 1? I can't remember anyone that didn't like it...yes, it was hilarious. :D

JediTricks
07-31-2002, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by companim02
I can't believe nobody remembers "National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon" I remember it, it was kinda funny. The second time I went to see it, I took my sister and as we were coming out of the theater afterwards, while my sister went to use the payphone I noticed there weren't many people on the prominade, then I noticed there was a gun-waving maniac about 20 yards away so I pulled my sister off the phone to get out of the line of fire (she was mad at me because I pulled her off the phone). Looking back, it's kinda funny that I left seeing one Loaded Weapon and walked right into seeing another. :D

-JediMaster-Yoda-
07-31-2002, 09:46 PM
did anyone love dirty work?

bigbarada
08-01-2002, 01:51 AM
I like Pearl Harbor in much the same way that I like Titanic. One cool drawn out action sequence preceded by a "blah" love story. In fact after watching Titanic once all the way through when it came out on video, I would only watch the second tape over and over just to watch the boat sink. I could care less about Leo and Kate, I was only really interested in the lower class "steerage" that were condemned to death simply because they were poor. For that reason alone, the movie was good.

RooJay
08-01-2002, 04:06 AM
I don't recall seeing any civilians being shot at off base in Pearl Harbor. By the way, civilians were most certainly shot at during the attack (on base, naturally); my grandmother's dearly departed, and much missed Uncle Willy (a native Hawaiin) happened to have been in Pearl during the attack. He survived by holding on to a pylon under a pier after having jumped in the water to avoid the shooting. Also, knowing that there were a good number of civilians on base at the time, and having visited Pearl several times myself, and having seen the actual bullet holes (yes, the Navy has left many of them unrepaired as a reminder of the attack), I feel I can say with reasonable certainty that there were at least some civilians in the line of fire that day.
The only real inaccuracy I have seen in the film is the role the characters of Ben Affleck and Josh Hartnett played in the battle. In real life, there were only two pilots who managed to get off the ground during the attack. Neither of them were named Rafe or Danny.
I also find it a bit unfortunate that the story turned out to be about a different subject than most people expected, which seems to have affected the opinions of most of the audience. I loved the movie in spite of it's inherent shortcomings, but I also agree that if it's a film solely about the attack on Pearl that you are looking for, then you need look no further than the excellent Tora, Tora, Tora. Pearl Harbor is a different kind of animal entirely.

RooJay
08-01-2002, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by Darth Nihilus
The Matrix, most people come out of this film feeling as though they have attended an important lecture on existentialism...

Anyone who felt that way after watching the Matrix (and I'm going to have to disagree wholeheartedly, though very respectfully, with your assessment of the film) has been taking some seriously dangerous drugs, and probably shouldn't be allowed out in public (although, admittedly, I can see where that point of view would come from). Plain and simple, the Matrix was just a damned fun, exciting flick that really shouldn't be thought of as anything more than the most awesome example of mindless comic book/ anime action brought to life! By far, the most pleasurable of guilty pleasures; no more, no less. Trying to find hidden depth to the movie is pointless and defeats the true purpose of the film.

billfremore
08-01-2002, 11:03 AM
Anybody beside me like The Shadow or The Punisher?

Pendo
08-01-2002, 11:07 AM
Anybody beside me like The Shadow or The Punisher?

I thought The Shadow was alright, but I'd only watch it on TV I wouldn't pay to see it. I haven't seen The Punisher yet, do I want to?

PENDO!

Beast
08-01-2002, 11:11 AM
The Shadow isn't bad, it was faithful to the original radio series, as well as the other Shadow incarnations. The Punsher is good, but only if you approach it from the standpoint that it has nothing to do with the comic charecter of the same name. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Exhaust Port
08-01-2002, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by RooJay
The only real inaccuracy I have seen in the film is the role the characters of Ben Affleck and Josh Hartnett played in the battle. In real life, there were only two pilots who managed to get off the ground during the attack. Neither of them were named Rafe or Danny.

19 American fighter aircraft got off the ground on Dec. 7th not just the 2 P-40's shown in the movie. The characters in the movie parallel the actions of 2 pilots in P-40's (minus the sleeping in car part), Lieutenants Kenneth Taylor & George Welch. Returning from an all night party they saw the attack beginning and drove to get to the aircraft. They formed up with another pilot in a P-36 Hawk and preceeded to shoot down 9 Japanese aircraft during 3 flights (ie they refueled twice). The P-36 pilot was shot down by friendly fire after he downed the 9th aircraft.

There was a flight of Dauntless dive bombers airbourne at the time of the attack. There was also a group of B-17's inbound to Hawaii (briefly mentioned in the movie) which were attacked by Japanese fighters. Unarmed, some where heavily damaged ,2 were shot down the rest made it to the islands. One was forced down into a golf course.

8 civilian aircraft were airbourne at the time of the attack. 7 were attacked and 3 were shot down.

5 PBY Catalina's (flying boats) were airbourne. One actually engaged a flight of japanese dive bombers in air-to-air combat.

The Japanese Zero's were assigned to destroy the aircraft on the ground at the numerous airfields. The movie showed them straffing a hospital grounds and killing civilians there. Nothing recorded states that this happened.

No American serviceman served in the famed English Eagle's Squadron. Those pilots had to surrender they're US enlistment to serve for England.

No record of an Eagle Squadron pilot also being at Pearl Harbor.

No Pearl Harbor pilot flew with Doolittle.

The Doolittle pilots didn't know what the target was until they were at sea. Aircraft modifications were done well before hand, not right before takeoff. They had no long range radio to save weight so no one at Pearl knew what happened. Wrong model of B-25 used in the movie. Long range shots of carrier fleet shows a modern US Navy complete with an angled-deck aircraft carrier.

....the list goes on and on.

All this movie did was to dishonor the actions of many heroic individuals by changing their names and accomplishments for the sake of a movie. Perhaps they should have also combined Roosevelt and Doolittle together to make for a better story? "Look the President is leading an attack on Japan in his jet powered airplane!!" Now everytime that movie shows it perpetuates it's own lies and does nothing to properly educate it's viewers. I feel bad for those that were involved that day on both sides of the fight. They've been reduced to a vehicle for a studio to tell a bad story and nothing more. The real story is much better.

RooJay
08-01-2002, 01:25 PM

19 American fighter aircraft got off the ground on Dec. 7th not just the 2 P-40's shown in the movie. The characters in the movie parallel the actions of 2 pilots in P-40's (minus the sleeping in car part), Lieutenants Kenneth Taylor & George Welch. Returning from an all night party they saw the attack beginning and drove to get to the aircraft. They formed up with another pilot in a P-36 Hawk and preceeded to shoot down 9 Japanese aircraft during 3 flights (ie they refueled twice). The P-36 pilot was shot down by friendly fire after he downed the 9th aircraft.
The Japanese Zero's were assigned to destroy the aircraft on the ground at the numerous airfields. The movie showed them straffing a hospital grounds and killing civilians there. Nothing recorded states that this happened.

Ok...ok, here's the thing: what I said was that there were only two pilots (I have done a fair amount of research on the subject, and I honestly have never heard of this hird pilot being able to lift off during the attack. Was he already in the air?) that managed to get off the ground DURING the battle. This is absolutely true. The two of them managed to shoot down somewhere between 6 and 8 enemy fighters combined; the actual numbers these two pilots shot down have never been confirmed. I'm sure there were many planes that managed to get off the ground later that day, but there were only two during the battle that managed to lift off. I'm also certain there were other planes already in the air (like the bombers you mentioned, though they didn't arrive until well into the battle, and had very little effect on the battle itself. Likewise, any other military aircraft that were already airborn; no other type of plane was able to shoot down any enemy craft, and the japanese Zeroes would have flown circles around them.

No American serviceman served in the famed English Eagle's Squadron. Those pilots had to surrender they're US enlistment to serve for England.

Admittedly incorrect in the film; although, more of a technicality than anyhing else. By the way, those boys were still americans regardless of the fact that they had to resign their status as members of the US armed forces.

No record of an Eagle Squadron pilot also being at Pearl Harbor.

No Pearl Harbor pilot flew with Doolittle.

Not only that, but the pilots that were in the movie simply never even existed. That would tend to make this a moot point, in my opinion.

The Doolittle pilots didn't know what the target was until they were at sea. Aircraft modifications were done well before hand, not right before takeoff. They had no long range radio to save weight so no one at Pearl knew what happened. Wrong model of B-25 used in the movie. Long range shots of carrier fleet shows a modern US Navy complete with an angled-deck aircraft carrier.

It is not entirely out of the boundsof possibility that this might be true. For all we know, Dolittle's pilots may have been told to keep this fact secret for the purposes of "plausible deniability". Remember, Tokyo was, even then, a largely civilian and highly populated city.

All this movie did was to dishonor the actions of many heroic individuals by changing their names and accomplishments for the sake of a movie. Perhaps they should have also combined Roosevelt and Doolittle together to make for a better story? "Look the President is leading an attack on Japan in his jet powered airplane!!" Now everytime that movie shows it perpetuates it's own lies and does nothing to properly educate it's viewers. I feel bad for those that were involved that day on both sides of the fight. They've been reduced to a vehicle for a studio to tell a bad story and nothing more. The real story is much better.

I don't recall any of the promotional materials for this movie state that it was anywhere near an attempt at education. In my opinion, Pearl Harbor is simply a major, traumatic event that takes place during this movie (in spite of the title). I don't think it dishonors the memory of anyone involved with the actual event. In fact, I'd hope that it would help raise public interest and cause people to seek out the true story. The movie Tora, Tora, Tora might make for a good starting point for that.

JON9000
08-01-2002, 02:40 PM
If you would like to see some historical fiction that is a little more plausible than the silliness of Pearl Harbor, I recommend Lawrence of Arabia on DVD. Access the ROM features to learn about his life before WWI and read the little booklet inside. Then watch one of the best movies ever.

JediTricks
08-01-2002, 05:55 PM
Anybody beside me like The Shadow? Me! I really like that film a lot, I could watch that film for another hour if there was stuff they cut out.

I also kinda like Dick Tracy. Both it and The Shadow are 10 times better than "The Phantom", that film was a mess, I only saw it recently.

I think RooJay's assessment of "The Matrix" is right-on, that's how I feel as well. It's not terribly deep, it's just fun.

I don't know if the Pearl Harbor film's promotions ever claimed it was historically-accurate, but the American public will probably accept it as being so anyway.

Lawrence of Arabia is incredible, but it's a film that I think has to be seen in a big theater to get everything out of it. You could project it onto your entire wall and I still think it wouldn't be enough.

wedgeA
08-01-2002, 06:11 PM
Anyone see Very Bad Things? It's hilarious in a very mean spirited way, but it really satisfies my misanthropic side. The film also has some disturbing moments that are not played for laughs, when combined with the humor made for a really bizarre feeling.

JediTricks
08-03-2002, 06:06 AM
I need to add "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension" to my list here. 7 out of 8 people look at me funny when I mention that film, but I still dig it.

scruffziller
08-03-2002, 09:15 AM
Don't forget FREDDY GOT FINGERED

scruffziller
08-03-2002, 09:24 AM

Wow, I think I ended up paying $25 for one off eBay 3-4 years ago.

What exactly is "regular video?" I remember it being released on VHS soon (very soon) after the movie hit the theaters and finding it in all the local video rental places for the next few years. Some time in the early 90's it disappeared totally from the shelves. Why was it $89? Just curious.
When a video store buys a copy of that movie they must pay that amount $89 some odd. Cool As Ice was never released (that I know of) into mass procuction that you could purchase like say at WAL MART. There is a term for it but I dpn't know what it is, help me Jar Jar BINKS!!! It would have only been available as cheaper as a previously viewed video at a video store. If you notice there are movies that are "B" movies. You will not find those at WAL MARTs. So if your video store doesn't have it for sale you have to order it through the proper channels at that ungodly price.

Originally posted by wedgeA
Anyone see Very Bad Things? It's hilarious in a very mean spirited way, but it really satisfies my misanthropic side. The film also has some disturbing moments that are not played for laughs, when combined with the humor made for a really bizarre feeling.
Oh I know!!!!:dead: That has got to be one of the most disturbing movies I have ever seen.

darthvyn
08-03-2002, 08:34 PM
Me! I really like that film a lot, I could watch that film for another hour if there was stuff they cut out.

and here i was thinking i was the only one!!! yeah, i thought this was really cool. i really love retro style stuff, and that was REALLY retro...

I also kinda like Dick Tracy. Both it and The Shadow are 10 times better than "The Phantom", that film was a mess, I only saw it recently.

dick tracy is really cool, cause all the colors are the same: every red is the same red, every yellow is the same yellow - they were trying to get the feel of the four color process that the old comics used - and SUCCEEDED!!!

the phantom was horrible. i just don't know why billy zane is even famous.

I think RooJay's assessment of "The Matrix" is right-on, that's how I feel as well. It's not terribly deep, it's just fun.

i don't know about this one... now, it's far from an existentialist essay, but i think there is definitely something to the whole "the world is different than what you thought it was" thing. there've been many films recently that deal with a protagonist whose perceptions of the world around him turn out to be false... it's an interesting theme...

SWAFMAN
08-04-2002, 12:00 AM
JT: Buckaroo Bonzai is one of my faves! I was seriously bummed that they never made the sequel. Great chemistries between the actors!
What the heck ever happened to Weller? I've liked every role I've seen him in.

Another pick:

Brother From Another Planet

JediTricks
08-04-2002, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by darthvyn
and here i was thinking i was the only one!!! yeah, i thought this was really cool. i really love retro style stuff, and that was REALLY retro...

dick tracy is really cool, cause all the colors are the same: every red is the same red, every yellow is the same yellow - they were trying to get the feel of the four color process that the old comics used - and SUCCEEDED!!!

the phantom was horrible. i just don't know why billy zane is even famous.

i don't know about this one... now, it's far from an existentialist essay, but i think there is definitely something to the whole "the world is different than what you thought it was" thing. there've been many films recently that deal with a protagonist whose perceptions of the world around him turn out to be false... it's an interesting theme... I don't know why "The Shadow" didn't get at least a cult audience out of it, even The Rocketeer (which I dig too) has a bit of an audience but it seems like "The Shadow" grabs almost nobody. I'm just glad Kenner/Hasbro got to do some action figures and vehicles from the film before they realized nobody went to see it.

Good way to describe the color issue in Dick Tracy, most folks I have talked to about this film just explain it like "they only used a few bright colors for babies". I thought the film worked well, but I guess like "The Shadow", Dick Tracy was too retro for most audiences to get.

Billy Zane is famous because his last name starts with a "Z"... I dunno actually, I think he is one of my least favorite actors.

That's why I used the qualifier "not terribly" when talking about The Matrix. It has a little depth, but it doesn't dig very deep into what it has unlike Dark City. That doesn't make it bad in my book, just different.

Swaffy, I heard there was a script for the sequel which got turned into "Big Trouble in Little China", and then they were gonna make a Buckaroo Banzai show this year but it didn't happen.

After Roboflop... er, I mean Robocop 2, Weller went on to do more "artsy" pics, he still gets plenty of work, but nothing really big-time.

I like "Hollywood Shuffle" and "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka" m'self.

TheFrankEinstein
08-04-2002, 06:09 AM
Weller's on some TV show now on... eh... Showtime?

The Shadow, I was there on the opening day! With two other people! :crazed: I'm not a big fan, but Penelope Anne Miller... ROW.

Critters. I don't know how many people like that movie; most people just don't know about it.
Me, Myself and Irene
The Omega Man
Kung Pow: Enter the Fist (Weeooooo!)
X: The Man with X-Ray Eyes

And The Matrix, my point of view on the film jibes nicely with a compromise. It can be shallow, actiony fun, or you can delve deeper into the philosophical aspects if you so desire. I think it depends on the person, and what that person wants out of it.

Darth Nihilus
08-04-2002, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by darthvyn
i don't know about this one... now, it's far from an existentialist essay, but i think there is definitely something to the whole "the world is different than what you thought it was" thing. there've been many films recently that deal with a protagonist whose perceptions of the world around him turn out to be false... it's an interesting theme...

Dark City and The Truman Show do this a lot better.

The Matrix wasn't even a good action film as far as I'm concerned. It just seemed like one big incoherent mess. It definitely makes for a good example of a film I hate that everyone else enjoyed.:)

I like "Hollywood Shuffle" and "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka" m'self

I'm Gonna Git You Sucka is hilarious, almost everyone I know who has seen that film loves it. Too bad Keenan Ivory hasn't put together anything as good since.

bigbarada
08-04-2002, 11:03 AM
I think I would have liked the Matrix better if all my friends, who I watched it with, didn't treat it like some sort of life-changing experience. Not to pidgeon-hole the people who liked it, but I noticed that the guys who were impacted the most by it had grown up in the inner cities and slums. (Remember I was in the Army, we get an amazing cross-section of people from all over.) Most people I knew from the country, or who grew up on farms, didn't like it at all.

Like I said, just my personal experience and by no means an attempt by me to generalize.

To me, it was okay, nothing more. If I were to assign it a letter grade, I would give it a C for flashy (but ultimately shallow) special effects. (Just for reference, if I were to grade TPM I would give it a B-, AOTC would get a B+ and LOTR would get an A+)

Pendo
08-04-2002, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by TheFrankEinstein
Critters. I don't know how many people like that movie; most people just don't know about it.

LOL That was a BAD movie with even worse sequels. Critters 4 what the HELL was with that, and why was the good dude from the first 2 the bad guy??? It's a strange, strange series of films. Yeah I like it too :D!

Also I like Swordfish, I thought it was a great film but for some reason none of my friends liked it. What do you guys (and girls) think of Swordfish?

PENDO!

DarthBrandon
08-04-2002, 02:58 PM
Just a few here:

Suicide Kings
The Phantom
The Shadow
The Rocketeer
Lord Of Illusions
Hudson Hawk
Face Off

JediTricks
08-04-2002, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by TheFrankEinstein
Weller's on some TV show now on... eh... Showtime? Would that be "Odyssey 5"? I keep seeing ads for it on billboards but since I don't have Showtime, I haven't caught it.

darthvyn
08-04-2002, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Darth Nihilus

Dark City and The Truman Show do this a lot better.

The Matrix wasn't even a good action film as far as I'm concerned. It just seemed like one big incoherent mess. It definitely makes for a good example of a film I hate that everyone else enjoyed.:)

i liked all three of them a lot... i posted about this somewhere else, but my college psych prof. wanted to do a class about altered realities and perceptions, citing these three movies... too bad i graduated before this class came to be... if it ever did...

Originally posted by bigbarada
I think I would have liked the Matrix better if all my friends, who I watched it with, didn't treat it like some sort of life-changing experience. Not to pidgeon-hole the people who liked it, but I noticed that the guys who were impacted the most by it had grown up in the inner cities and slums. (Remember I was in the Army, we get an amazing cross-section of people from all over.) Most people I knew from the country, or who grew up on farms, didn't like it at all.

i think that it's more the fact that they lived in an urban environment than an effect of their economic status - i know when i walk around NYC i get the feeling as though everything around me is somehow fake... maybe i'm nuts... i don't know, i think it's definitely a city thing

FKA Broke Collector
08-04-2002, 07:27 PM
I saw (and now own) a campy little sci-fi movie called Dark Star. It's about 3 guys who roam the galaxy destroying unstable planets and stars. And, yes, it's supposed to be funny.... I think. It's also one of a plethora of movies that have an 1138 ref in it.

Dar' Argol
08-04-2002, 09:08 PM
WOW!! Most of the movies ppl have mentioned here I love!!! Here's a short list:

The Shadow
The Fifth Element
Starship Troopers
Earth Girls are Easy
Jeepers Creepers
A.I.
Gleeming the Cube
Hackers
Jonny Nmonic
The Adventures of Baron Von Musenchusin
Time Bandits
Titan A.E.
The Aliens series
The Blair Witch Project
Pulp Fiction
Akira

Those are just a few in addition to all of the other great movies mentioned here:D

DarthBrandon
08-04-2002, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Dar' Argol
WOW!! Most of the movies ppl have mentioned here I love!!! Here's a short list:

The Shadow
The Fifth Element
Starship Troopers
Earth Girls are Easy
Jeepers Creepers
A.I.
Gleeming the Cube
Hackers
Jonny Nmonic
The Adventures of Baron Von Musenchusin
Time Bandits
Titan A.E.
The Aliens series
The Blair Witch Project
Pulp Fiction
Akira

Those are just a few in addition to all of the other great movies mentioned here:D

Geeze, I forgot about Gleaming The Cube, Hackers, Pulp Fiction, and Johnny Mnemonic. Those are a bunch of other movies that nobody I knew like but me. John Q was another as well.:)

TheFrankEinstein
08-05-2002, 12:05 AM
Would that be "Odyssey 5"? I keep seeing ads for it on billboards but since I don't have Showtime, I haven't caught it.

That it would. I haven't seen it myself (I don't get Showtime either), but have seen commercials. Glad to see him back in sci-fi (whereas some people *coughTimThomersoncough* resent the genre).

And I forgot Johnny Mnemonic, man. Great movie, until Ice-T (what moron decided this guy can act and should be in every movie EVER?). Gotta love cyberpunk, though!

Also forgot Hard Target. Woo's first domestic flick even gets dumped on by his hardcore fans, but I think it may very well be the best B-action flick ever. Lance Henriksen and Arnold Vosloo... yeahhhh.

billfremore
08-05-2002, 01:03 AM
Youngblood

I probably like this one because it's one of the few hockey movies Hollywood has made.
Unfortunately it would be better if they actually consulted a CANADIAN on the information though. :D

RooJay
08-05-2002, 08:01 PM
I am going to agree wholeheartedly with TheFrankEinstein (a fellow Mike Allred fan?) that Lance Henriksen and Arnold Vosloo were, dare I say, brilliant in Hard Target! I have always felt that, surprisingly, they made for two of the best villains ever on film. I'd also like to give Mr. Vosloo some much needed props for his role as the Mummy, Imhotep. The recent Mummy series would be another couple of films on my list that I absolutely loved (in spite of their perceived critical shortcomings!). I for one, would really like to see Arnold Vosloo flex his acting chops a little more. I see a lot of subtleties in his Mummy, in his performance in Hard Target, and even in his Darkman. I'm really interested to see what he's capable of, and I hope someone in Hollywood decides to give him that chance.

TheFrankEinstein
08-06-2002, 01:53 AM
I am going to agree wholeheartedly with TheFrankEinstein (a fellow Mike Allred fan?) that Lance Henriksen and Arnold Vosloo were, dare I say, brilliant in Hard Target! I have always felt that, surprisingly, they made for two of the best villains ever on film. I'd also like to give Mr. Vosloo some much needed props for his role as the Mummy, Imhotep. The recent Mummy series would be another couple of films on my list that I absolutely loved (in spite of their perceived critical shortcomings!). I for one, would really like to see Arnold Vosloo flex his acting chops a little more. I see a lot of subtleties in his Mummy, in his performance in Hard Target, and even in his Darkman. I'm really interested to see what he's capable of, and I hope someone in Hollywood decides to give him that chance.

Glad to see a fellow Allred/Henriksen/Vosloo fan on the boards! I, too, find both Henriksen and Vosloo vastly under-appreciated, and I haven't seen Vosloo's Darkman films, but will check them out on your recommendation. As for Hard Target, I think most people missed Woo's intention with the film. They focus on Van Damme and his wooden acting, but I think it's obvious that Woo put the emphasis on the villains because he, wisely, predicted they would be more engaging characters. Not to say Van Damme didn't serve his purpose as a mulleted, one-dimensional action hero. But the meat was on the bad guys.

And on topic, I think John Carpenter's Vampires is unjustly maligned. James Woods's Jack Crow belongs, in my opinion, on the same level of cult hero as Jack Burton and, er, the guy from They Live (also a great movie!). Maybe Henriksen and Vosloo need a John Carpenter movie of their own? Hmm...

JediTricks
08-06-2002, 03:22 AM
DA, I also forgot about Johnny Mnemonic, that one goes up on my list.

TheFrankEinstein, how can Tim Thomerson resent the genre when he's done so much to ruin it?!? ;).

RooJay, I also liked "The Mummy", though it seems like a lot of folks do too so I didn't think to put it on this list.

TheFrankEinstein
08-06-2002, 04:15 AM
TheFrankEinstein, how can Tim Thomerson resent the genre when he's done so much to ruin it?!? .

Hey man, you'd better watch it. Dollman might shoot you with his super-gun that makes you EXPLODE. :crazed:

And speaking of Tim Thomerson, was Trancers good? I can't remember. I know Dollman's another guilty pleasure I'd forgotten about until right now.

sith_killer_99
08-06-2002, 07:25 AM
Oh, wow! Yes, I LOVED the whole Trancers series. I admit I am a Fullmoon fanatic.

TheFrankEinstein
08-06-2002, 08:25 AM
Good to know! Dang I love this thread. Underrated movies need exposure, darn it!

And now I'm off to buy a Lance Henriksen Original bowl (http://shop1.laservers.com/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TPC&Category_Code=DB) to eat my Cocoa Pebbles out of. God bless America, the land of cereal bowls hand-made by gravelly-voiced B-movie actors and freedom to make excessive use of hyphens.

On-topic - X: The Man with X-Ray Eyes. A Roger Corman pop sci-fi classic! CO-STARRING DON RICKLES! Weeeee! Oh, and Kung Pow: Enter the Fist, if I haven't already mentioned it. Can't wait to see Super Troopers.

billfremore
08-06-2002, 08:58 AM
Super Troopers was awesome.
I can only describe it as Police Academy on acid.

"I swear the next person to say shenanigans gets pistol whipped!"

Master Goeweins
08-06-2002, 09:29 AM
John Carpenter's Vampires was one of the better vampire flicks I have ever seen! It has the best vampire deaths in the sun that I know.

I am going to add Blast From the Past to the list. No one seems to like this movie, but I thought it was hysterical!

Exhaust Port
08-06-2002, 11:32 AM
How about Tremors!!! It's a great B-movie that I never get sick of.

Master Goeweins
08-06-2002, 03:35 PM
Yeah, yeah! Tremors was great! It is an instant classic. The sequel was even mildly good. However, the third one was dismal at best.

TheFrankEinstein
08-06-2002, 04:08 PM
Tremors is a classic, too true.

Blind Fury - A Rutger Haur remake of the old Zatoichi Chambara movies. Not as good as the originals, but a pretty good B-movie.

billfremore
08-06-2002, 04:30 PM
Blood of the Heroes - another fine Rutger Hauer movie about a post apocalyptic society and the game they play to survive.

SWAFMAN
08-06-2002, 05:49 PM
Oh, I just remembered one that I liked, that everyone else I've talked to hated:

Blood In Blood Out (Bound By Honor)

El Chuxter
08-07-2002, 03:42 PM
There's a lot of movies here that I like. . . but everyone else I know likes them, so I won't list them. :)

I like dark, sorta twisted comedies, which don't usually do too well. Mystery Men is one of the best I've seen. Starship Troopers and Jawbreaker are two other really funny ones that come to mind.

Based on everyone else's posts, I should put Robocop 2 here. I know the first one was supposed to be a comedy, but no one got it. I don't know for sure, but considering Frank Miller wrote it, I assume the same goes for #2.

I also like this old, sort of cheesy road-rage movie called Duel. I saw it in a hotel a few years ago on one of the pay channels. It looked like a 1970s cop drama when it started (showing someone drive through LA as the credits rolled), and then I noticed that it was directed by Spielberg and couldn't turn it. I found out later it was his first flick and, though it's no ET or Indy or AI (and let me add that to the list, too, since everyone hates it), it's a cool, twisted little movie.

billfremore
08-07-2002, 03:46 PM
Well I get to be one of the few people who liked Starship Troopers.

Ok let the wet fish beatings commence... :D

Jonna
08-07-2002, 03:50 PM
Well I get to be one of the few people who liked Starship Troopers.

Ok let the wet fish beatings commence... :D

Whamo!

Beast
08-07-2002, 03:51 PM
Bill, I think DeadEye really likes Starship Troopers. :)

Let the screaming (from Billfremore) commence.... :evil: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

billfremore
08-07-2002, 04:03 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Not nice JJ, not nice at all :D

RooJay
08-07-2002, 08:21 PM
Just to get caught up here on some of the stuff I missed (been away form a couple days! Great discussion!). Hereís a few responses I have to everyoneís posts:

Donít get crazy now TFE; I wasnít really recommending Voslooís Darkman movies, just his performance in them! The movies themselves were only slightly acceptable. Now, the original Liam Neeson starring Darkman was awesome!

I have seen John Carpenterís Vampires, but I honestly didnít care much for it. Woods was indeed great (is he ever not?), and I saw tons of potential for the story, but it just didnít seem to me like any of it was sufficiently explored in the movie. Maybe if they can get a sequel going.

They Live and Tremors: CLASSICS!

I hear what youíre sayiní about the Mummy JT. I wouldnít have included it here either, but I think there are a lot of movies that have been listed in this thread that are loved by most people I know; plus, I have heard both the Mummy and Mummy Returns bashed often enough by others that I thought Iíd bring them up anyway.

I too, am a fan of Full Moon. Specifically the Puppet Master series!

Being a huge Rutger Hauer fan as well, Iíd like to add Ladyhawke to my list (although I have always thought this one was pretty widely enjoyed by most). The movie manages to be highly entertaining in spite of itís seriously sucky and inappropriate soundtrack! Blind Fury was pretty cool too! ;)

I donít know anybody that hated Bound by Honor. Maybe itís a California, Latino thing!

The Duel was an awesome movie! A.I. was great film also, in my opinion. I donít see how anyone could not like it. Thatís just me though!

Starship Troopers is one of my favorite movies as well; I saw it five times in theaters, and that was before I got to watch movies for free! I think a lot of people just missed the point with that one too.

Jonna
08-08-2002, 03:37 PM
I just remembered: Psychos in Love.

A brilliant film about love, psychos and grapes.

Exhaust Port
08-08-2002, 03:59 PM

They Live and Tremors: CLASSICS!

Oh man, how could I have forgotten about They Live!?!?!

"I'm here to kick a** and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum." - Rowdy Roddy Piper

Great b-movie!

billfremore
08-08-2002, 04:02 PM
Undercover Blues

Stanley Tucci's performance alone in this movie is worth watching it.

"My name is Muerte..."

JediTricks
08-08-2002, 05:32 PM
Yeah, Undercover Blues is one of the films I'm waiting for it to be released on DVD because it's so much fun, lots of good banter.

"Nice to meet ya Morty!"

Jonna
08-09-2002, 11:34 AM
Hahahahahahahahaahahahahahaah!

I almost forgot!

Go here: http://www.ween.net/feebles/

billfremore
08-09-2002, 11:45 AM
Yeah, Undercover Blues is one of the films I'm waiting for it to be released on DVD because it's so much fun, lots of good banter.

"Nice to meet ya Morty!"

No, no!
There is no Morty, it's Muerte, death!

Needles
08-10-2002, 12:23 PM
a movie I like but knowone else likes,Exit Wounds and Training Day,surpising for Training Day

jet chan
08-10-2002, 06:23 PM
oscar with sly stallone my dad and i ruined the tape watching it so much
also fear and loathing in las vegas, both mortal kombat movies,andthe bill and ted movies:crazed:

hayden's_hunnie
08-11-2002, 01:16 PM
star wars, i only know 1 perso who likes it, that is my cousin, it must be in the blood!

JediTricks
08-12-2002, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by jet chan
oscar with sly stallone my dad and i ruined the tape watching it so muchI saw that one on opening day in a packed house. Me and most of my family have liked it ever since, but I know what you mean about feeling alone in enjoying it - most folks thumb their noses at this one.

Beast
08-14-2002, 03:13 PM
How could I forget to mention, Kung Pow: Enter the Fist. That movie is hilarious, but very few people actually like it. Part of that is because they didn't ever watch those old badly dubbed kung fu flicks on TV. I recomend that everyone atleast give it a rental. It's one of my favorite comedies of all time. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

AdmiralPiett
08-14-2002, 07:55 PM
I liked "The Wizard", that Nintendo movie with Fred Savage! :)
A lot of people that I know don't like Fight Club. I liked the first half but the second half sucked. I am wondering where all the minorities and women were?
Movies that I don't particularly care for that everyone else that I know loves are:
Matrix
6th Sense
I just didn't think they were all that, sorry!
Piett

RooJay
08-14-2002, 08:12 PM
I've found that the audience for Fight Club was very split. Most women I've talked to hated it, most men I've talked loved it. I think the movie really spoke to some people (me in particular), and others just missed the point entirely.

AdmiralPiett
08-14-2002, 10:43 PM
I liked Fight Club the first time I saw. I also thought that it really spoke to me (it was very existentialist IMHO) but after that the effect wore off and I started to find it more and more absurd with every viewing.

By the way, while I was away I remembered some other guilty pleasures of mine:
The American Ninja movies
Robocop
Problem Child
The Shaggy DA (sequel to the Shaggy Dog)
Annie

Piett

Tonysmo
08-15-2002, 11:33 AM
wow.. a TON of great movies.. I seemed to enjoy most, however my own take on a few mentioned would be:
Super Troopers, The 1st 40 minutes, Hilarious... then I fell asleep..
Someone mentioned Tom Green's Freddy got Fingered.. disturbing is the nicest thing I can say about it.. I had to turn it off after the beastality scene.. just can't sit through stuff like that.
I enjoyed Starship troopers.. lotsa gore.. gore is cool.
A few not mentioned yet.. Some of my friends couldnt find the humor in CLERKS.. ok, so I dumped them as friends.. CLERKS was the BEST out of the bunch, to me, much better than Mall Rats, and the others.. except for the Strikes back one.. which I found very funny as well..
Tremors Rocked..
on the horror side of B movies.. Motel Hell.. Classic. If ya havent seen it.. rent it..
Another movie none of my friends thought was good, and one you may not have heard of.
The Cook, the thief, his wife, and her lover.. GREAT FLICK...
ok, maybe we should start a new thread, called underground classics no one has ever heard of.
All in All, most of the movies mentiond thus far are all pretty decent.. well, except for Ford Fairlane.. OOOO! Sorry, never cared for that guy...

warriors.. another classic... for some reason, no one else found it as cool as I did..

billfremore
08-15-2002, 11:48 AM
Ahh Warriors...come out and play.

How can you not like Ford Fairlane?
It was the only good thing "Dice" did, becasue his stand-up was freakin' boring.

Tonysmo
08-15-2002, 11:57 AM
I guess I couldnt get over the stand up. knowing his acting abilities couldnt be any better..

That and a good friend of mine loves the flick.. just more ammo for me to hate it. Thats what this threads about anyhow right? only this is the reversed side of it..

One other flick I forgot to add..
probably the greatest role Christian Slater ever played.. TRUE ROMANCE.. man that was an awesome movie..

SWAFMAN
08-15-2002, 06:34 PM
YAY!!! Another person who really likes TRUE ROMANCE !!

I thought that movie was awesome!!!!

Script by Tarantino (before he was overtaken with his own hype) & directed by Tony Scott (before he decided that 2.1 nanoseconds was the maximum time to wait before cutting to the next scene).

Arguably the best performances ever by those actors in the film, with the possible exceptions of Gandolfini (who was great, but has a better showcase role on his HBO series), and Pitt (was that an homage to Sean Penn's "Jeff Spicoli," or what???). Walken was vintage Walken, and Oldman freakin' invented the "wigger" (Vanilla WHO?? EminWHOM????).

I've not heard many other people at all who liked this movie. Thanks for posting it, Tonysmo!

Master Goeweins
08-15-2002, 11:31 PM
I love this movie. The unrated version pushes the whole Gandolfini death scene a lot further. Very harsh. "You callin me an eggplant?"

TylerD
08-16-2002, 05:18 PM
Master Goewins - I loved Blast from the Past. I love any movie that makes references to the "retro" era. Like Pleasantville.

Piett- I loved The Wizard. I bought it for 8 bucks when my local video store closed. Nintendo rocks! Did you know there is an online petition dedicated to the re-release of The Wizard?

Tonysmo- I thought I was the only person to have ever seen Motel Hell! Everytime I ask someone about it, they say they have never saw it. It is an awesome movie! My favorite line, "I used preservatives!!!"

As for other films I liked that no one else did, there are a lot.

Ghost World - No one seems to like this movie?? I thought it was hilarious and brilliant.

The Royal Tenenbaums- same as above...now how could you NOT like this movie? Great actors, great plot....what gives??

Pecker- basically the same as above- HIGHLY recommended

Fried Green Tomatoes- everyone I talk to hates this movie simply because it is a "chick flick" - well I thought it had a great story, and an important underlying meaning

Now for a generic list:

Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion
To Wong Foo- Thanks for everything - Julie Newmar
Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood (just like F.G.T.)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
You've Got Mail
Drop Dead Gorgeous
Dick - HILARIOUS

That's all I can think of right now....

AdmiralPiett
08-16-2002, 06:06 PM
When you mentioned Hotel Hell I started thinking about that Dirty Harry movie where Liam Neeson plays the director of a movie called "Hotel Satan" starring Jim Carrey. Has anyone else seen that Dirty Harry movie?
Piett

TheFrankEinstein
08-16-2002, 10:38 PM
I'm with ya on Kung Pow, Jar Jar. I don't remember the last time I laughed so hard.

I've also got to slap myself for forgetting Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. A classic.

I'll second True Romance and Training Day, too, but I don't know of many people who dislike them. True Romance should be getting a whiz-bang DVD soon.

Jedi Clint
08-17-2002, 12:25 AM
YAY!!! Another person who really likes TRUE ROMANCE !!

I thought that movie was awesome!!!!

Script by Tarantino (before he was overtaken with his own hype) & directed by Tony Scott (before he decided that 2.1 nanoseconds was the maximum time to wait before cutting to the next scene).

Arguably the best performances ever by those actors in the film, with the possible exceptions of Gandolfini (who was great, but has a better showcase role on his HBO series), and Pitt (was that an homage to Sean Penn's "Jeff Spicoli," or what???). Walken was vintage Walken, and Oldman freakin' invented the "wigger" (Vanilla WHO?? EminWHOM????).

I've not heard many other people at all who liked this movie. Thanks for posting it, Tonysmo!

I love Oldman's "Drexel". "Well that makes us practically related." That movie had it all. Ya even get to see Balki (sp?) get totally blown away.......AFTER he gets hot coffee thrown in his face! Too bad they couldn't have worked cousin Larry in there as well :evil:

For JT:

Loved Labyrinth.

KFM - ".......Then you'll be scared s**tless by ARMAGEDDON!" :D
Men at Work - "You're a stupid man! You're a stupid little man!"

For Scruff:

Depp walks in to the room to find the woman slumped over in her motorized wheel chair with it banging repeatedly into the wall. He walks over and turns the dead woman's chair toward him. The chair then quickly takes off toward the door and bursts through into a room set ablaze.

I laughed until tears were flowing at this scene.

I guess I will start my list with:

Robocop 2 - "BEHAVE YOUR SELVES!"
T.M.N.T.
The Big Lebowski - "You want a toe Dude? I can get you a toe."
O' Brother Where Art Thou - "Do NOT seek the Treasure!"
Orgazmo - "Dad. I don't think I'm gonna use hamster style anymore."

That's all for now....I'm sure I'll think of more. However, I will drop a few random quotes:

"Doctor says I need a backiotomy!"
"Oh that. That's just what we call pillow talk baby."
"Q: Girl you got the devil in you?! A: NO! CRAMPS!"
"So you threw the football to a semi-retarded kid..."
"Renta-cops. I hate renta-cops!"
"Monsters.......in the gelatin. There are MONSTERS.....IN THE GELATIN!"

;)

JediTricks
08-17-2002, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by AdmiralPiett
When you mentioned Hotel Hell I started thinking about that Dirty Harry movie where Liam Neeson plays the director of a movie called "Hotel Satan" starring Jim Carrey. Has anyone else seen that Dirty Harry movie?
Piett The last Dirty Harry film, The Dead Pool, had Liam Neeson, and Jim Carrey as the lead singer of Guns & Roses (even though Axel was shown in the band as well) IIRC. It was pretty good, I saw it in theaters and definitely didn't feel ripped off.

True Romance was pretty good, but it doesn't really have a lot of exposure. It may be because it came out too close to "Kalifornia" with Duchovny and Pitt.

Clint, good taste in films. :D Hard to believe anybody hired George Lazenby for ANYTHING after OHMSS (not a bad movie, but a BAD move for his just-starting career).

Master Goeweins
08-19-2002, 10:01 AM
TylerD- both Ghostworld and The Royal Tennenbaums were standout movies of last year. The mullet wearing red neck gets my hardest laugh. And pretty much all three of Wes Anderson's films are gold.

Patient Zero
08-19-2002, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Master Goeweins
Ghostworld . The mullet wearing red neck gets my hardest laugh.

The Karate God of White Trash! Brilliant!!! Now he had some Real Ultimate Power.:D

RooJay
08-19-2002, 04:10 PM
I honestly don't know anyone who disliked True Romance! Gary Oldman's Drexel is proof that the man can play ANY part and make it believeable!

Speaking of Kung Pow: anyone else ever seen The Original: What's Up Tiger Lily? It's the only Woody Allen movie I can stomach, and it's hilarious!

Half Baked is just about the funniest movie ever made, in my opinion!

Tyler D, I too am unafraid and secure enough in my masculinityto admit to having really liked Fried Green Tomatoes. May I also recommend Rambling Rose and Mystic Pizza as excellent "Chic Flicks"?

Am I alone in having enjoyed Mario Van Peebles vehicles Posse and Gunmen (also with the awesome Christopher Lambert!)? How about Baseketball (and yes, Orgazmo was funny as hell too!)?

Jedi Clint
08-19-2002, 05:09 PM
"We still have no f**king clue where this guy is."

SWAFMAN
08-19-2002, 08:07 PM
I honestly don't know anyone who disliked True Romance! Gary Oldman's Drexel is proof that the man can play ANY part and make it believeable!

wow. I wish I was around more folks like most of you in my in-person life.

I can remember bringing that movie up in converations about favorite movies with co-workers and friends, and getting responses ranging from blank stares to indifference to dislike. No one else appreciated that movie as much as I did, or some of you have posted.

there really ought to be a SSG "reunion" or something, some day, IMHO.

JediTricks
08-20-2002, 02:12 AM
Speaking of Kung Pow: anyone else ever seen The Original: What's Up Tiger Lily? It's the only Woody Allen movie I can stomach, and it's hilarious!

Half Baked is just about the funniest movie ever made, in my opinion!I caught What's Up Tiger Lilly on Turner Classic Movies last year (thank the maker for TCM, it sickens me that AMC went commercial and now edit films for content) and it was really funny. I also like Allen's Zelig, Bananas, Sleeper, Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex But Were Afraid to Ask, and Small Time Crooks, but I never thought of myself as a Woody Allen fan, I just thought those films were funny work.

Half Baked is funnier than hell, it's definitely on my list!

darthvyn
08-20-2002, 12:08 PM
Super Troopers was awesome.
I can only describe it as Police Academy on acid.

"I swear the next person to say shenanigans gets pistol whipped!"

finally saw this last night!!! this movie rocks hard core!!!

"in my day we did it with BLANKS, you sick..."

i also love Fight Club - anyone who enjoyed the movie should read everything by Chuck Palhaniuk!

i also love True Romance

"he must've thought it was white boy day... it ain't white boy day, is it?"

the best part of that movie is that DENNIS HOPPER plays the most NORMAL person in the entire filck!

and of course, there is the whole christopher walken thing!

"do you know who i am... i'm the antichrist, and you got me in a vendetta kinda mood - you tell the angels in heaven, that you never saw evil so singularly personified... as you did in the face of the man who killed you..."

priceless!

and on the walken tip, what about

things to do in denver when you're dead?

"neh, here's elliot, he brought you some seltzer..."

evenflow
08-20-2002, 12:17 PM
None of my friends like anything about STar Wars, they are so foolish.

darthvyn
08-20-2002, 12:25 PM
i also love lock, stock and two smoking barrels (although i've not seen it in a while) and SNATCH!!!!

"yeah, tommy, before ze germans get here..."

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this instance by an 'orrible ****... me!"

billfremore
08-20-2002, 01:27 PM
Snatch is much better than LS2SB
LS2SB didn't seem a well paced as Snatch and it seemed like the storyline was forced.

I can't always explain my reasoning about movies, I usually go by how I feel after I've seen them. Some movies just feel like something is not right. Weak ending, unresolved issues, bad pacing, cheesy cop-out plot developments.

You know.

Master Goeweins
08-21-2002, 12:13 AM
The dog eating the squeaky toy earned about 20 rewinds on my VCR..... so very funny!

I also liked it better than LS2SB, although I liked the latter as well.

Adam
08-21-2002, 12:45 AM
Movies I like that some of my friends/family don't:
1) Kung Pow: Enter the Fist! God that was great! Does anyone know if the second "episode" will ever come out? I read somewhere once it was a planned trilogy.
2) Clerks. Death Star Contractors = Good Times. And for that matter I LOVE the animated series! "Oh my god! Bear is DRIVING! How can that be??"
3) Super Troopers. "She can sue me!"
4) Princess Mononoke. Great story, beautiful animation. It's a shame Miramax didn't promote it more, its 10x better then some of the movies Disney has made.
5) Mystery Men. " When you doubt your powers, you give power to your doubts!? That's what you were gonna say, wasn't it?!" " Not necessarily..."

Movies I don't Like, but others do:
1) Akira. "KANEDA!!!" "TETSUO!!!" "KANEDA!!!" "TETSOU!!" I think I used to like this movie.. but I watched it again not too long ago and really didn't like it.
2) Titanic *BLARG!* Part of my hatred for this films stims from my project I did about the Titanic right before the movie came out. I went in not knowing anything about it, expecting it to be about the REAL people onboard. Instead I got a love story with made up characters.

Movies I haven't seen that everyone likes:

Lord of the Rings

I know, I should be ashamed! :cry: ;)

Adam
08-21-2002, 12:46 AM
I want to take this time to point out that I am an idiot, and accidently hit the quote button instead of the edit button. :stupid:

TylerD
08-21-2002, 02:14 AM
Another movie I forgot to mention was Water World with Kevin Costner. Everyone I talk to says they hate it, except for a select group of people. I think a lot of America hated it though, because I read that it grossed the least amount of money when compared to its production costs.

Master Goewins, what other movies does Wes Andersen have under his belt? If I like those two, I am sure to like others of his...

billfremore
08-21-2002, 11:16 AM
I generally hate Kevin Costner but I have enjoyed some of his movies before he decided he was an 'epic' director.
I actually liked The Postman. I keep hearing the book is better though, so something to look into.

El Chuxter
08-21-2002, 11:41 AM
WaterWorld and The Postman were, IMHO, awesome films. How can you not like a movie that features Tom Petty, for goodness sake?

Is the book for Postman still available?

SWAFMAN
08-21-2002, 06:00 PM
I didn't hate Waterworld, but I didn't think it was "epic" either.
IMO, it was just a sorta wetter version of Mad Max - Beyond Thunderdome.

BTW, did anyone else here like drugstore cowboy?

RooJay
08-21-2002, 06:43 PM
I'm gonna risk being considered being the "weird one" and go on record saying that I have yet to see a Kevin Costner movie I didn't like. He tends to be very understated in his acting style, but I have never seen the fault in that as many people (mostly film critics) claim to see. Waterworld wasn't great, it could've been so much better, it was full of plot holes, but it wasn't nearly half as bad as general opinion seemed to imply. Certainly not one of my favorite movies, but entertaining nonetheless. The Untouchables, Dances With Wolves, and Thirteen Days are some of my all time favorite movies.

darthvyn
08-21-2002, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Master Goeweins
The dog eating the squeaky toy earned about 20 rewinds on my VCR..... so very funny!

my friend and i did that with the part in super troopers where they make farva say "shenanigans" - if you don't know what i mean, stop doing what you're doing and go get super troopers. now. go. i'm waiting...

Master Goeweins
08-21-2002, 10:13 PM
TylerD-
Wes has only directed three movies. His first one was Bottle Rocket. It is one of my all time favorites. A laid back comedy with a lot of the cast that you see reoccuring throughout Rushmore and Tennenbaums. Definitely a must see.

TylerD
08-22-2002, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the info MG, I'll definitely have to check that one out!

RooJay
08-23-2002, 09:15 PM
I've also always had a somewhat odd fondness for Beastmaster, starring Marc Singer.
...and I've also, always loved Tron. Even before it seemingly came to be considered a minor, visionary work of art.

DarthChuckMc
08-23-2002, 10:50 PM
Holy Crap...You guys have thought of almost everything when it comes to cheesy movies, but I have a few more that I love to watch.

The 'Burbs:"This is Walter...AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!"
The Man with One Red Shoe:"Awe, COME ON!!!"
Humanoids from the Deep
Alligator & Alligator 2
Cannibal the Musical
Baseketball
Orgazmo
The Last Dragon
any of the Faces of Death documentaries
StarBallz-yes the anime xxx movie
Possession-Sam Neill and Isabella Adjani foriegn horror flick
Heartbeeps
Short Circuit
Under the Rainbow-Chevy Chase and a young Carrie Fisher
Laser Blast-70s sci-fi with a Mark Hamell look-a-like
Corvette Summer
My Bloody Valentine
The Gate
Fright Night

I actually have most of these on DVD already. :)

Jedi Clint
08-23-2002, 11:10 PM
Ahhh "The Gate".....:)

Has anyone seen the X rated version of Orgazmo?

"FIFTY DOLLAR BILLS! YOU GUYS! FIFTY DOLLAR BILLS!"

Patient Zero
08-23-2002, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Clint
Has anyone seen the X rated version of Orgazmo?

That movie was great. I didn't know there was different versions.

RooJay
08-26-2002, 01:41 PM
There are people who don't like Fright Night?!
I love Short Circuit as well. I even loved Short Circuit 2! Fisher Stevens is great (he was a very believable as an arab, in my opinion. No offense to any of our Arab ffriends out there.) I actually felt a bit of pride seeing that little metal monster taking his oath of citizenship!

How about Deep Rising? This was actually one of those movies that I made fun of when I saw the trailer for it! I was pleasantly surprised when I actually saw it, and it was honestly fun and entertaining. This movie never once tries to be anything more than it is, and never seems to take itself seriously. Treat Williams best work, by far!

Speaking of aquatic themed monster movies; I also really liked Leviathan. I thought it was very well done, and was quite frightening!

Speaking of Treat Williams; I also admit to having a fondness for his, Joe Piscopo co-starring, Dead Heat! How many people do you know who will admit to that?

Jedi Clint
08-26-2002, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by The Ghost of Jonna

That movie was great. I didn't know there was different versions.

Indeed! Just not on DVD :(

S - "Oh my gawd..........You're Orgazmo!"
JY - "I'm not Orgazmo."
S - "I am Sancho."

jobi
08-26-2002, 10:50 PM
The Cable Guy was Jim Carey's best movie but nobody believes me....What is wrong with everybody???

Beast
08-26-2002, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Clint
Indeed! Just not on DVD :(

S - "Oh my gawd..........You're Orgazmo!"
JY - "I'm not Orgazmo."
S - "I am Sancho."
They are working on a 2-disc S.E. DVD release of Orgazmo sometime next year that is supposed to contain the X-rated (Unrated) cut. So have no fear, you will get your orgazmo soon enough. I need to find the info again, I'll keep you informed. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
08-26-2002, 11:20 PM
Ok, here's the official scoop from HomeTheaterForum.com. Orgazmo was being prepped for a 2-Disc S.E. for a April release by USA Films. They were having financial problems and were purchased by Universal. All DVD projects that were in development at the time were delayed, except for Gosford Park.

Apperantly the S.E. now has a possible fall slate, but could be pushed back closer to Christmas, or even to next year. Apperantly it will contain 3 commentaries, and alot of special features. Hope that that gives hope to you Orgazmo fans. Here's what DVDFile.Com posted in December about the April release. :)

December 5

The best you'll ever have - 12:14am

What can I say about any movie called Orgazmo!? While not Trey Parker and Matt Stone's biggest hit (you'd have to go with South Park for that), their parody of the world of adult entertainment has it's own and ever-growing cult, but the flick has remained MIA on DVD forever now. But since the level of email demands it, we got an update from the creative team on the production of what promises to be an epic DVD, expected to arrive as a two-disc set from USA sometime in 2002.

So, what can you Orgazmo fans expect? How's about behind the scenes footage, the original EPK, hundreds of stills, audition tapes, trailers including the original 16mm promo used to attract funding, and tons of easter eggs...and, oh yeah, three commentary tracks, and a new hour-long documentary including such cast and crew as Trey Parker, Matt Stone, Dian Bachar, Stan Sawicki, Andy Kemler, Robyn Raab, Ron "Porn Star" Jeremy, Chasey Lain, Masao Maki, Shayla LaVeaux, Farrell Timlake, Jason McHugh, Lloyd Kaufman, Jill Kelly, and "stunt ****" Marcus Vaughn.

We also received a few candid shots of the DVD in progress, which you can check out in the beginning of our Orgazmo multimedia gallery, so enjoy, and we'll keep you posted with more info on the disc as the release date nears!

http://dvdfile.com/interactive/drive_in/clips/orgazmo/gallery.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi Clint
08-26-2002, 11:53 PM
Thanks Binks,

I can't remember where I read about the delay, but I had planned to purchase it when it was scheduled for release at the end of April. I bought a bootleg R-Rated version of the DVD on ebay around that time. It's low quality. :(

El Chuxter
06-09-2010, 12:16 AM
Superman Returns
Planet of the Apes (2001)

sith_killer_99
06-09-2010, 12:38 AM
Superman Returns

You dug up an 8 year old thread to announce to the forum members that you like Superman Returns and Planet of the Apes (2001).:tired:

El Chuxter
06-09-2010, 12:51 AM
It's more about digging up the thread than about naming movies. :D

TeeEye7
06-09-2010, 04:04 AM
Golden Shovels should never sleep! :thumbsup:

Lord Malakite
06-09-2010, 06:40 AM
Golden Shovels should never sleep!

That has got to be the worst movie title I have ever heard.

2-1B
06-09-2010, 08:10 AM
That has got to be the worst movie title I have ever heard.

Not if you think about the title of its sequel...

JimJamBonds
06-09-2010, 09:55 AM
You dug up an 8 year old thread to announce to the forum members that you like Superman Returns and Planet of the Apes (2001).:tired:

It's more about digging up the thread than about naming movies. :D

Exactly, thanks for setting SK straight Chux. :D

sith_killer_99
06-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Still:

Superman Returns
and

He could have come up with better flicks than those! I mean, he knows we are all going to read them and he wastes a perfectly good golden shovel on Superman Returns and Planet of the Apes (2001).:twisted:

For example the recent films "B*tch Slap" and "Lesbian Vampire Killers"!!!:laugh:

El Chuxter
06-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Okay, Speed Racer. Better?

Ando
06-09-2010, 12:54 PM
I really liked Terminator 3 and I can't honestly think of anybody I know who actually liked this movie.

Rocketboy
06-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Superman Returns
Planet of the Apes (2001)I also enjoyed those flicks.

autumnsdescent
06-09-2010, 06:07 PM
G.I. Joe - Thought Sienna Miller in the cat suit made the trip to the theater to see it twice worth it.

Snowtrooper
06-09-2010, 06:20 PM
I liked Superman Returns as well.

Slicker
06-09-2010, 07:47 PM
I liked Transformers.

Rocketboy
06-09-2010, 07:51 PM
G.I. Joe - Thought Sienna Miller in the cat suit made the trip to the theater to see it twice worth it.Well, that was the only good thing in the movie.

2-1B
06-09-2010, 10:58 PM
I enjoyed The Dark Knight.

Lord Malakite
06-10-2010, 04:42 AM
I enjoyed The Dark Knight.

You went the wrong way. You are supposed pick a movie that everyone else hates. You should of said Batman & Robin.

Phantom-like Menace
06-10-2010, 08:05 AM
Well, that was the only good thing in the movie.

I preferred Rachel Nichols as Scarlett.

Darth Jax
06-10-2010, 08:29 AM
You went the wrong way. You are supposed pick a movie that everyone else hates. You should of said Batman & Robin.

why does batman get nipples, but batgirl doesn't?

Lord Malakite
06-10-2010, 09:58 AM
Because she is batgirl, not batwoman.

JediTricks
06-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Schumacher is gay.

Rocketboy
06-10-2010, 06:41 PM
I preferred Rachel Nichols as Scarlett.Yeah, I guess, but she she was far hotter painted green.

DarkArtist
06-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Army of Darkness and the Evil Dead movies.... My wife can't stand them and wonders how I can sit there and watch them over and over again and continue to laugh at them...

jonthejedi
07-16-2010, 03:32 PM
Logan's Run, my precursor to Star Wars in 1976. I would love to see Christopher Nolan tackle the book & its sequels.

Ando
07-16-2010, 04:41 PM
My wife and I saw a few movies this spring that I liked or loved and she hated:

- Cop Out
- Kick ***
- Hot Tub Time Machine

I know there were others, but it got to the point where I just started going without her when she had other things to do.

JimJamBonds
07-22-2010, 05:50 PM
Army of Darkness and the Evil Dead movies.... My wife can't stand them and wonders how I can sit there and watch them over and over again and continue to laugh at them...

AoD is awesome! How can you not like it? I didn't even know that was possible?!?!?