PDA

View Full Version : Post your favorite movie of all time.

DarthBrandon
07-29-2002, 03:59 PM
I was thinking the other day about my favorite movie of all time, other than the Star Wars saga and I came up with seven that I thought were really good. If this has been posted before please merge them.

Here they are in no particular order.

The Shawshank Redemption.
As Good As It Gets
The Usual Suspects
Remember The Titans
Forrest Gump
The Green Mile
Fried Green Tomatoes

MikeAndTheBots
07-29-2002, 04:09 PM
Other than Star Wars:
Clerks
Pulp Fiction
Memento
Dogma
Saving Private Ryan
The Matrix
Chasing Amy (how could I forget this?!?)
Shawshank Redemption
Indiana Jones Movies

There are more but my mind hurts from that thinking I just did.
edit: Forgot some and added them.

JediDan
07-29-2002, 04:15 PM
Lord of the Rings:FOTR
Vegas Vacation

DeadEye
07-29-2002, 04:19 PM
Out of all the movies mentioned so far, the only ones I've seen are Forrest Gump and Vegas Vacation.

Beast
07-29-2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by DeadEye
Out of all the movies mentioned so far, the only ones I've seen are Forrest Gump and Vegas Vacation.
Dude, get off the computer and go rent some of the hundreds of movies that we have suggested to you so far. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DeadEye
07-29-2002, 05:11 PM
I intend to. I'm glad you guys don't hate me. :D

Jon
07-29-2002, 05:12 PM
The Usual Suspects
The Rock
Back to the Future Trilogy
Terminator 2
Duck Soup

QLD
07-29-2002, 05:48 PM
I will be a rebel and name 10. TAKE THAT!

Terminator 2
The Green Mile
Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction
Blazing Saddles
Red Dawn
Spaceballs
Army of Darkness
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
What's Eating Gilbert Grape

Lobito
07-29-2002, 05:51 PM
Indy Trilogy
Rocky Saga
Brave Heart
Tombstone
One man's hero
When Harry Met Sally
Bryan's Song
....just some of my favs.

Exhaust Port
07-29-2002, 05:59 PM
Aliens
Monty Python/Holy Grail
Top Secret
Airplane
Dark City

-JediMaster-Yoda-
07-29-2002, 07:10 PM
star wars
major payne
clerks
forest gump
friday
next friday
jay and silent bob stirkes back

DeadEye
07-29-2002, 07:12 PM
Besides Star Wars:

All the Trek movies except TMP
Black Hawk Down (duh) :D
Saving Private Ryan
The Alien series
Predator
Terminator series
Jurassic Park series
Die Hard series
John Woo movies

DarthBrandon
07-29-2002, 09:04 PM

The Shawshank Redemption stars Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins. It's the story of Andy Dufresne ( Tim Robbins ) who is sent to prison for a crime he didn't commit. The Seasoned convicts there, headed by Red ( Morgan Freeman ), make bets he won't last the first night, but Andy is full of surprises. Forming an unlikely friendship with Red, Andy proves his resourcefulness, winning favors from the warden. Bu as the years go by, Andy and Red never give up the dream of freedom, and together they turn hope and friendship into an uplifting bond no prison can ever take away. Excellent film.

As Good As It Gets has an all star cast with Jack Nicholson, Helen Hunt, Greg Kinnear and Cuba Gooding Jr. Nicholson plays Melvin Udall, an obsessive-compulsive novelist with Manhattan's meanest mouth. When his neighbor Simon is hospitalized, Melvin is forced to babysit Simon's dog. And that unexpected act of kindness - along with waitress Carol Connelly helps put Melvin back in the human race. One of the funniest romantic comedy movies around. It was nominated for seven Academy Awards in 1997.

Remember The Titans is based on a real-life drama and stars Denzel Washington and Will Patton. Herman Boone ( Washington ) is a tough football coach who takes over Bill Yoast's position as head coach. These two men overcome their differences, and turn a group of hostile young men into champions. Full of soul and spirit. One of the best.

The Usual Suspects has an excellent cast with Stephen Baldwin, Gabriel Byrne, Kevin Pollack, Kevin Spacey and Benicio Del Toro. Five small-time criminals get way in over their heads with twists and turns at every corner. One of the scariest crime thrillers out there, it's a who done it film right to the end. Winner of two Academy Awards.

These are a must see for you DeadEye, get out there and rent them today you won't be sorry.:)

DarthBrandon
07-29-2002, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
I will be a rebel and name 10. TAKE THAT!

Terminator 2
The Green Mile
Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction
Blazing Saddles
Red Dawn
Spaceballs
Army of Darkness
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
What's Eating Gilbert Grape

The Green Mile that's another I'll have to add to my list.
Thankx Quite-Long Dong.

DeadEye
07-29-2002, 10:07 PM
Brandon, thanks for listing those movies for me. I've seen parts of As Good As It Gets on TV. :)

DarthBrandon
07-29-2002, 10:19 PM
Brandon, thanks for listing those movies for me. I've seen parts of As Good As It Gets on TV. :)

I know you will like them if you get out and rent them. As Good As It Gets has to be seen on video because T.V. edits all the really good stuff.:)

DeadEye
07-29-2002, 10:34 PM
Most action movies are blatantly stupid when shown on TV, because all the good bits of the fights are edited out and it looks poorly choreographed...kind of like how AOTC was in theaters! :D

DarthBrandon
07-29-2002, 11:21 PM
Most action movies are blatantly stupid when shown on TV, because all the good bits of the fights are edited out and it looks poorly choreographed...kind of like how AOTC was in theaters! :D

I have to agree with you on that DeadEye. (poorly choreographed...kind of like how AOTC was in theaters) Now that was funny.:) The whole dam film was poorly edited, just chop, chop, chop. I got a little dizzy watching it jump around so much. It was like they were trying to cram a great white into a can of sardines

DeadEye
07-29-2002, 11:44 PM
Brandon,

I agree with the horrible and jumpy scene transition, but Episode I was just as bad IMHO.

DarthBrandon
07-30-2002, 12:11 AM
You think? I thought Episode II was much worse than Episode I could have ever been. Just my opinion.

Pendo
07-30-2002, 07:39 AM
My favourite films other than Star Wars are:
Indy Jones trillogy,
Rocky (well only 1 and 2, the others were crap),
Terminator 1 and 2,
and Spider-Man

PENDO!

DeadEye
07-30-2002, 08:59 AM
Brandon,

In Episode II the jumpy scene transition was worst in the first hour or so. It got a little better towards the end.

Episode I was like that the whole time--the worst part was how they constantly interrupted the action scenes throughout the movie.

DarthBrandon
07-30-2002, 09:25 AM
The last twenty-five minutes was the only part of the movie I didn't find myself succumbing from dizziness. I watched it fifteen plus times and compared to Episode I it was horribly edited. We may not agree on which was choppier, but we do agree that they were poorly edited. I really liked Episode II; I just wish that the story flowed better.

DeadEye
07-30-2002, 09:36 AM
Yeah...AOTC was a collection of scenes rather than a fluid piece. My dad and I, when we get the Archival Edition, are going to use our video software and do our own "editing!" :D

DarthBrandon
07-30-2002, 10:05 AM
Hopefully they will have the deleted scenes like the lost twenty and the trials included on the Archival Edition.

Another good movie is Saving Private Ryan.

Pendo
07-30-2002, 10:12 AM
Aren't they only doing Archival Editions for the classic trillogy. I didn't know they were doing it for the Prequels too!

PENDO!

Beast
07-30-2002, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Pendo
Aren't they only doing Archival Editions for the classic trillogy. I didn't know they were doing it for the Prequels too!
PENDO!
There were some rumors that there might be an archival edition of E1 also. So likely it was going to be archival versions of all of the movies. One of the things I read was that they were going to put back in the scene in E1 where Bail Organa seconds Queen Amidala's vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum. The scene was originally cut, because Lucas didn't like the actor. But now that he's got Jimmy Smits as Bail, they can film him, and reinstate that scene. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
07-30-2002, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
There were some rumors that there might be an archival edition of E1 also. So likely it was going to be archival versions of all of the movies. One of the things I read was that they were going to put back in the scene in E1 where Bail Organa seconds Queen Amidala's vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum. The scene was originally cut, because Lucas didn't like the actor. But now that he's got Jimmy Smits as Bail, they can film him, and reinstate that scene. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

thanx for the info JJB! If they are going to do an Ep1 Archival Edition I hope they put in these scenes (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12745) so I can see if I DID really see them at the cinema (which I know I did)!

I hope that if he does do Archivals of all the films that they come out in a big 12 disk box set! That would be cool!

PENDO!

Beast
07-30-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Pendo
thanx for the info JJB! If they are going to do an Ep1 Archival Edition I hope they put in these scenes (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12745) so I can see if I DID really see them at the cinema (which I know I did)!

I hope that if he does do Archivals of all the films that they come out in a big 12 disk box set! That would be cool!

PENDO!
I'm not to sure that you saw those in the movie at the theater, but anything is possible. Problem is that sometimes our imaginations of what was cut, can cause people to think they have seen stuff like this. People still claim to have seen the scenes of Biggs and Luke in Archorhead at the theater, or on a televison broadcast. Even though it's been confirmed by Lucasfilm that those scenes were never part of any presentation of the movie.

A similar thing happened with Hannibal, people believe that in the theaters they saw Hannibal actually slice a piece out of Krendler's brain on camera. Even though all that was filmed was Hannibal preparing for the cut, and then the camera angle shifting to the piece of brain hitting the frypan.

It also occured with Texas Chainsaw Massacre. People made a huge fit about the scene where Leatherfaace spikes that girl on the meat hook thru her back. They were complaining about the gore when the hook enters her back. Yet all that is shown is Leatherface lifting her up, a quick shot of the meathook, and then the camera angle switches to show him spiking her on it from the front and her twitching. They never showed the hook actually enter her back. :)

As for the archival editions, I wouldn't mind seeing somthing along the lines of the extended cut of LOTR's. A nice 3-4 disc set for each film. Tons of extras, and maybe Lucas can get the cast in for an audio commentary. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
07-30-2002, 11:00 AM
I agree with what you said about the mind playing tricks, etc. and about people believing they saw something which they didn't. But when I said to my friend (who saw the showing with me) about the scenes he said that he remembers seeing them too. Maybe it was an early cut of the movie which the Odeon some how had hold of. I guess it's one of those questions which will never be answered :(.

As for the 4 disk set of each Archival Edition, it sounds cool! I would love something like that too! :D

PENDO!

bigbarada
07-30-2002, 11:30 AM
Okay, favorite movies of all time, in order:

LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring
Star Wars: OT
Indiana Jones trilogy
Black Hawk Down
Saving Private Ryan
Star Wars: PT
Three Kings
Braveheart
American Graffiti

That's all I can think of for now.

DeadEye
07-30-2002, 11:41 AM
Three Kings really wasn't all that good. It was more of a dark comedy than a war movie. We still have yet to have a good movie of the Gulf War. :frus:

Jek Porky 2002
07-30-2002, 04:57 PM
1.The Empire Strikes Back
2.A New Hope
3.Attack Of The Clones
4. Return Of The Jedi
5.The Phantom Menace

bigbarada
07-30-2002, 10:04 PM
Three Kings really wasn't all that good. It was more of a dark comedy than a war movie. We still have yet to have a good movie of the Gulf War. :frus:

Three Kings was never intended to be a realistic movie about the Gulf War, it could probably best be described as a fictional story set in a wartime environment. I will say this, the way the soldiers acted in that film is the most accurate Hollywood representation of the modern soldier's general attitude. This is speaking from over ten years of personal experience.

When I split up the trilogies into individual films, the films take a very different ranking:

#1 Fellowship of the Ring
#2 Black Hawk Down
#3 Empire Strikes Back
#4 Raiders of the Lost Ark
#5 Return of the Jedi
#6 Saving Private Ryan
#7 Three Kings
#8 Braveheart
#9 Star Wars: A New Hope
#10 Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

DeadEye
07-30-2002, 10:11 PM
Bigb,

You're right about accurate depictions of the soldiers' attitudes in Three Kings...but I can assure you that morons like Conrad Vic wouldn't be in the Army....maybe the Navy or Air Force, though. :D

Master Goeweins
07-30-2002, 10:23 PM
Aside from SW and Indiana Jones, I like "Bottle Rocket."

man, i could just watch that movie for days......

bigbarada
07-30-2002, 10:40 PM
Bigb,

You're right about accurate depictions of the soldiers' attitudes in Three Kings...but I can assure you that morons like Conrad Vic wouldn't be in the Army....maybe the Navy or Air Force, though. :D

Actually, I've met several people in the Army who would make Conrad look like a genius. Never underestimate the power of stupidity or inbreeding.:)

-JediMaster-Yoda-
07-31-2002, 08:54 PM
how could no one name Dirty Work you people do not respect comedies when you see one! also thats one of my favirote movies ever

figrin bran
07-31-2002, 10:24 PM
my favorite non SW movie would be American Beauty. i'm not sure where i would rank other favorites like terminator 2, back to the future trilogy

Herby
08-01-2002, 09:05 AM
Some of My Favoriate Non-SW Movies:
(I say some because I have an abysmal memory!)

Princess Bride
UHF
Dogma (all Kevin Smith, but Dogma's my favorite)
Office Space
Tombstone
Monty Python & The Holy Grail
Shawshank Redemption

Recent favorite: Lilo & Stich, GO SEE IT!

icatch9
08-01-2002, 09:45 AM
Indiana Jones
The Matrix
Harry Potter
LOTR
Tron
Office Space
Kevin Smith collected works

billfremore
08-01-2002, 10:00 AM
Anything Kevin Smith does, he could poop in a jar and I'd probably watch it :D

and Jaws 1, 2 and 3 (not that stupid-@$$ Revenge movie)

QLD
08-01-2002, 01:41 PM
Dirty Work has got to be one of the single worst movies I have ever seen. If anything, the only laughs I got, were at the HORRIBLE script and Norm McDonald's HORRIBLE acting......

Jonna
08-01-2002, 01:56 PM
Nowhere

wedgeA
08-01-2002, 05:16 PM
Vertigo
Doctor Zhivago
LOTR: FOTR
Mulholland Drive
The Conversation
Halloween
LA Confidential

jjreason
08-04-2002, 02:15 AM
Great shows noone has yet mentioned: Heat, BladeRunner, Seven, and GoodFellas. Of course Raiders and Indy III, Lord of the Rings and the Matrix, to echo the sentiments of others. Last but not least - The Blair Witch Project. Movie or not, that was the scariest BS I have EVER laid eyes on. If I could go back, I would choose not to watch it. Scary.

DarthBrandon
08-04-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by jjreason
Great shows noone has yet mentioned: Heat, BladeRunner, Seven, and GoodFellas. Of course Raiders and Indy III, Lord of the Rings and the Matrix, to echo the sentiments of others. Last but not least - The Blair Witch Project. Movie or not, that was the scariest BS I have EVER laid eyes on. If I could go back, I would choose not to watch it. Scary.

Heat, Seven, and Goodfellas along with the Indy trilogy are among my favorites as well, but I could only select a few for my list.:)