PDA

View Full Version : R3-D3 "Error" ?

Beast
07-29-2002, 09:31 PM
This has been bugging me a few days, and I finally decided to start a thread about it. Just when I thought that Thrawn couldn't make a bigger mountain out of such a minor molehill, he comes along and posts this "huge error" for the Star Tours R3-D3 figure. His header for the post, says the following: "HASBRO SAGA TOYS: Star Tours Figure Error - Is Nothing Sacred?".

Gee I would think that he would know that when it comes to action figures, that they can't spray paint 100% exactly the same on every figure. These are action figures, there is going to be some minor differences between every figure that comes off the production line. This is just a really really picky post of somthing that is neither an error as he claims, or a variation. Does anyone other then Thrawn, seriously consider this an error? :rolleyes: :p

http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=ssnews2.setup&category=starwars&topic=31&show_article=424

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lord Tenebrous
07-29-2002, 11:05 PM
The only reason I'm not too fond of it is that it adds to the rabidness of these Tours figures in general.

If people get excited over a Darth Vader w/ bent lightsaber hilt, then imagine the damage this little bit of paint could do...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1752575977

Beast
07-29-2002, 11:10 PM
Can I get a list of everyone bidding on that auction. I want to nominate them for sucker of the year award. $23.72 for a figure where the lightsaber was slightly bent, or came partially loose in the package. That is just pathetically sad. :rolleyes: :p

Update - Oh, it just got sadder. In the last minutes of bidding, someone snipped it with a bid of $46.00. Maybe sucker of the year is to kind in this case. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
07-29-2002, 11:15 PM
Auction ended at $46. For the bid history just click bid history on it.

Stupid people... :rolleyes:

TheBigSloppy
07-29-2002, 11:55 PM
I was thinking the very same thing when I read the 'World's greatest error' write-up. Not to knock Thrawn, because he provides valuable services for SSG and all of us collectors, but I do feel he's pushing the Fox-Pass (faux pas) envelope on this one. Yes sir-e, boy.

What is the disclaimer Hasbro puts on all of its packages? Ah, yes. . ."Product and colors may vary"

So this particular figure is dirtier than another. Who cares? No way, not me. Uh uh! Maybe if the dirt was painted a different color - I would then agree. And then maybe I would be interested. But this is no error.

I have seen many errors, and frankly sir, you are no error!

rynobot
07-30-2002, 01:02 AM
haha, that seller said it was a dooku lightsaber. then he has the nerve to rape the buyer with $10 shipping!! Now if it was actually a Dooku lightsaber packed in then that would be a cool error, but come on that is about sad as a Kit Fisto w/ fallen lightsaber blade. It's a packaging error, the light saber wasn't put in the bubble right and was sealed shut like that, stupid morons bidding on a FAKE error.

icatch9
07-30-2002, 08:27 AM
Maybe shipping is more in OH than it is in the rest of the state :). It is pretty sad when these non-errors are so soght after.
The R2 unit with the dirt error isn't even the first of it's kind. Other figures have had the dirt on them, and I'd say they are all different. I do think it's a reach to call this an error and then be disapointed in it.

hango fett
07-31-2002, 03:17 PM
that is somethign even i don't consider a variant or an error. just a sloppy paint job.
h.

Beast
07-31-2002, 03:29 PM
Hango, it's not even a sloppy paint job. It's a bit of overspray from a paint sprayer. It's not like they sprayed it all over the clear dome or something, it's just slightly bigger on one then the other. They are all going to be slightly different. There isn't an artist sitting at a desk painting each one perfectly by hand. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mace Windex
08-22-2002, 11:55 PM
Hey guys,

I sent in the ERROR R3 picture to Sir Steve. LOL. I searched through several cases trying to find the best card and cleanest looking figure when I noticed the paint error/variation. It was the ONLY one in the bunch to be sprayed this way. Sure, I have seen several slight variations of paint but this one was very different. On another note, The Episode II Sneak Preview R3 units came two ways, some with dark painted "burn" marks and others with marks so light that they were pretty much invisible. Now, I consider that a major difference but it was never listed on the site. I guess my paint error made news due to the fact that it was a STAR TOURS figure and the first one to be listed as an error. And no, I did not sell it on e-bay! Hmmm, do you think I could get $46 for it? LOL! I could use the cash!

Mace

JangoFart
09-20-2002, 01:40 PM
My only comment here:

"You preach it, ya Gungan you!"

:)

J