PDA

View Full Version : Star Tours Lightsaber

Lord Tenebrous
07-29-2002, 11:35 PM
Looks to be the same green Qui-Gon saber that you can find at retail. But will anybody buy this just for the tag and the ST logo on the hilt? Is this piece even real?

Sighted here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1753194553

Beast
07-29-2002, 11:46 PM
Yep, it's real Lord Tenebrous. I read about these a week or so ago. They are also releasing a Star Tours version of the Stormtrooper Blaster, Han Solo Blaster, and Chewbacca's Bowcaster. Here are some pictures from Rebelscum. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
07-29-2002, 11:50 PM
Here's the Rebel Allience bowcaster. :)

Beast
07-29-2002, 11:51 PM
And finally, the Galactic Empire Rifle. :)

DarthBrandon
07-29-2002, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Yep, it's real Lord Tenebrous. I read about these a week or so ago. They also released a Star Tours Stormtrooper Blaster, Star Tours Han Solo Blaster, and Chewbacca's Bowcaster. Here are some pictures from Rebelscum. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Star Tours Rebel Allience Blaster:

This is going to sound like a stupid question JarJarBinks, but why the hell is the Rebel Alliance Blaster red? I don't remember seeing any red blasters in the Saga.

Lord Tenebrous
07-30-2002, 12:01 AM
Ah. I guess I was too distracted by the droid hype to notice there was other merchandise. :)

But role-play items seem to sell well around here, so maybe some kid will be newly inspired and take a bowcaster home. The droid figures are, well...I don't like the atmosphere around them now, it lacks...innocence.

Beast
07-30-2002, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by brandon
This is going to sound like a stupid question JarJarBinks, but why the hell is the Rebel Alliance Blaster red? I don't remember seeing any red blasters in the Saga.
Well, when Hasbro re-released the Blasters in the 90's, there had already been alot of laws passed. Quite a few kids pulled toy guns on cops in the late 80's and 90's, so the laws went into effect. They stated that any toys guns manufactured, had to be clearly distingushible from the real thing. After those laws went into affect, Hasbro couldn't release the weapons in their original black color, so they went with Red for Han's, and White for the Stormtrooper one. It's just another case of stupid kids, ruining it for fans that wanted guns that looked like the movie counterpart. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
07-30-2002, 12:03 AM
Same reason the Stormtrooper blaster is highly inaccurate and white. They're children's toys and they were to appeal to younger kids when Kenner made them in the mid-90's.

The Qui-Gon saber is getting a little too highly over-used...I guess since it's just really generic.

Edit: And what JJB said I guess. :D

JediTricks
07-30-2002, 12:43 AM
Bah! Stupid Hasbro is releasing the wrong saber! The green Qui-Gon saber is what killed the first version of this "Basic Lightsabers" line.

(For those who don't know, in '99 for Ep 1, Hasbro released a non-electronic lightsaber that fully collapsed into the handle. The handle and blade were thicker than the electronic versions because they were meant for heavy battling. Unfortunately, the blade was a bit shorter than the already-short electronic blade and Hasbro only released one style of saber hilt with the one color that were both lingering in the electronic version to begin with. When Hasbro finally got around to releasing a companion piece to this QGJ non-electronic saber - the double-bladed non-electronic Darth Maul saber - it was too late, retailers REFUSED to order more Ep 1 product in part because like the rest of the Ep 1 line, the QGJ n-e saber was BOMBING. 3 years later, aka This April, Hasbro learned from their mistakes and released the QGJ hilt and a new Obi-Wan hilt that came in one of 4 different blade colors.)

Personally, I think Hasbro should re-release the POTF2 Darth Vader and Luke Jedi electronic sabers through Star Tours, those would sell like hotcakes!

LTBasker
07-30-2002, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Personally, I think Hasbro should re-release the POTF2 Darth Vader and Luke Jedi electronic sabers through Star Tours, those would sell like hotcakes!

Also Anakin's lightsaber for a blue saber plus it could just be called Luke's first lightsaber. Also if they scaled down the mold a little for kids, I remember when I was younger and I got the ROTJ Luke saber and was a little sad that it was pretty big to me.

DarthBrandon
07-30-2002, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

Well, when Hasbro re-released the Blasters in the 90's, there had already been alot of laws passed. Quite a few kids pulled toy guns on cops in the late 80's and 90's, so the laws went into effect. They stated that any toys guns manufactured, had to be clearly distingushible from the real thing. After those laws went into affect, Hasbro couldn't release the weapons in their original black color, so they went with Red for Han's, and White for the Stormtrooper one. It's just another case of stupid kids, ruining it for fans that wanted guns that looked like the movie counterpart. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

O.K. I can buy that, but why then is the Bowcaster grey/black?

Beast
07-30-2002, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by brandon
O.K. I can buy that, but why then is the Bowcaster gray/black?
Well, the bowcaster doesn't look as much like a real gun as the others do. Infact I forget what gun the Bowcaster was heavily modified from. So I think they were allowed to let it go as silver. Even though it should actually be Black/Grey. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DarthBrandon
07-30-2002, 01:24 AM
Well the politics behind toy making today is just plain crazy and I guess not so crazy if you look at all the safety issues involved.

Thanks for answering my question JarJarBinks.:)

LTBasker
07-30-2002, 01:28 AM
At least they kept the foam darts thing with the Bowcaster. I think that gives it a small plus over the other Star Tours roleplay stuff. :cool:

hango fett
07-31-2002, 03:15 PM
i got that same green saber last year when i was down there....didn't say star tours, but still...
h.

El Chuxter
07-31-2002, 03:23 PM
It's all the same reason that in Transformers: Generation 2 (remember those?), all the classic characters were repaints of old figures except Megatron. Since he was a realistic gun, they made a green and purple tank for Megs.

I knew a hardcore TF collector and fan a couple of years ago who almost got arrested when he took a Megatron he was selling to someone into a mall. Luckily when he demonstrated that it transformed, the cop recognized it and told him to keep it in robot mode if he was going to carry it. :D

A couple of years ago, I had my Battle Droid water rifles drying on a towel on the floor of a bedroom in my parents' house. A realtor came by unexpectedly to show the house, and the couple left immediately after seeing that room. The realtor called up my dad and chewed him out for having weapons on the floor and said the couple thought he must have a wacked-out homicidal maniac living there. I guess the orange color and the Star Wars logo didn't tip them off. :Pirate:

The True Maul
07-31-2002, 04:14 PM
Yeah, when I went down there two years ago I saw the same thing as Hango Saw, they had a lot of them too... :) :)

hango fett
08-04-2002, 09:31 AM
yeah! like 2 shelves full of them!
h.

AdmiralPiett
08-07-2002, 01:11 AM
It's interesting that a theme park would sell toy guns and El Chuxter's story reminds me of a similar instance that I had once. I remember once I was in the airport in Miami as a kid (back in the mid 80s) and I had brought an orange plastic toy gun with me on vacation and the baggage inspector confiscated it even though it was so obvious that it was only a harmless plastic toy. And that was way before Sept. 11 and all the increased security. Since a lot of people travel by plane when going on vacation to visit Disney theme parks it doesn't make much sense to me to try to sell a toy gun that airports might want to confiscate.
Piett