PDA

View Full Version : Mint on card (9.9777777777)

billfremore
07-30-2002, 12:37 PM
I have a question for those of you who keep stuff on card, are concerned about card quality and place your figures in starcases.

Why?

Are you planning to sell them eventually?
Is it a bragging thing?

Jonna
07-30-2002, 12:42 PM
I knew you were going to do this...

Well, I do both: carded/uncarded. Starcase? No.

I just like the way that some of them look carded. Besides it is neat to make a wall collage of carded figures.

I am also a neat freek and the whole display just looks more organized this way.

Darth Shifty
07-30-2002, 01:21 PM
The only figures I have that are in Starcases and graded are my Yoda figs. I have two from ESB, one from ROTJ, and numerous others from different lines that I have in a Yoda display. I like the way the display looks and hopefully they'll appreciate even more in value.

I have other figs that I've kept carded too, but that was only for aesthetic reasons and I just like the way they look. Like Jonna, I make a collage on my wall with my carded figures. They just look durn purty!

billfremore
07-30-2002, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Jonna
I knew you were going to do this...

Yeah so, what's your point? :D

I can understand the aesthetic value of keeping carded figures, my question was actually directed more at those who care about the quality and rating of their cards and put them in plastic cases to protect them.

icatch9
07-30-2002, 03:18 PM
I am also a carded collector, and only have a few loose. I have a complete carded collection 1995-2002. As a mastercard commercial would say "priceless". Actually it's worth 400 and something times $5 (becasue that's what I paid for them all over the years). Anyway, I am greatly proud of my collection. I do wall collages too, but my room is full of starting lineup sports figures in package (there wasn't any star wars stuff to buy between 86'-95' so I filled the void with Starting Lineups). They do to me look very cool in the package, but that's a small reason to keep them unopened.

Of course I'm concerened about value. You buy a house you want to take care of it and keep it up becasue someday you want to sell it and hopefully make a profit. You buy a car, you take care of it and keep it in the best possible shape becasue you hope to get the biggest value when you trade it in. Any major investment you make you want to keep it in it's best possible shape. I view my Star Wars collection as an investment. Sure I'm not going to retire on it and it's not like Microsoft stock. Still, it's taken a lot of time and money to get my collection to where I want it to be and I want a mint complete colletion. I get as much enjoyment out of the box as I would opening it up. I grew out of playing with toys a long time ago and after the first few mintues with the loose item, I would loose interest. So, it's much better keeping it the box.

I don't plan on selling my colleciton ever. Still one cannot tell the future, and who knows what will happen. Someday I may need to sell my collection to save my childs life or something crazy like that. So, my mint on card collection would fetch a much higher price than a loose collection.

plasticfetish
07-31-2002, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by billfremore
I can understand the aesthetic value of keeping carded figures, my question was actually directed more at those who care about the quality and rating of their cards and put them in plastic cases to protect them.

Much of what icatch9 said applies to me also. When I started semiseriously collecting toys in general (about 10 years ago) I never thought about card condition or for that matter keeping them carded. It was fun to collect, play and display ... whatever. As time wore on, and I would say probably when I started buying the Star Wars figures around '96, I would occasionally buy an extra figure to keep on the card.

Like Jonna said ... "I just like the way that some of them look carded." Perhaps it has a bit to do with the latent fantasy of how great it would have been to have saved a few of the original figures on the card. I dunno. As far as "condition" goes ... I have weird personal rules ... it bothers me if the bubble is dented or crinkled, but I can generally tolerate just a little card wear.

As for starcases ... I live in Los Angeles ... it's dusty here and I've found that it's better to dust a starcase every now and then ... rather than risk damaging a card.

For the most part, I look at my carded figures as if they were a kind of legacy gift to my son. He has all of the loose ones I've bought over the years (and all new loose ones go to him also). Someday, if he wants them and cares enough to take care of them, he can have the ridiculous number of carded figures that I've squirreled away.

Unless I end up with a spare room big enough to display ALL of my toys, in which case ... he can come and visit them all quietly.

rynobot
07-31-2002, 03:44 AM
I'd put all of my carded figures in star cases if I could afford all the star cases. Maybe if I come up with $200 I'll go and order some from Brians Toys, but other than that I won't worry about them.

sith_killer_99
07-31-2002, 07:23 AM
I like to display many of my figures caded. Especially my foreign carded figures.

I do keep most in pro cases. But the main reason is to protect them when we move. Being in the military that happens a LOT!

The last time we moved I packed all of my stuff VERY carefully and some of them STILL got damaged...because they were NOT in pro cases. Now I sware by them. Not 1 single card or figure that was packed in a pro case got damaged.

Though, I did have a few pro cases that got damaged, all the cards and figures inside were saved.

So, yes...I like to display carded, and YES pro cases help when moving!:D

FKA Broke Collector
07-31-2002, 09:02 PM
I keep one of each figure on the card. I origially started because of "value" but I don't think i will ever get the return on them. Now I do it out of sheer obsessive-compulsive behavior. HAHA! I also buy duplicates of some of them and open them up.