PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever heard of Dr.Thunder Or Dr.W?

Needles
07-30-2002, 01:43 PM
Has anyone ever heard of Dr.Thunder Or Dr.W?
There Store brand sodas,Store brand sodas are cheaper and should not be allowed,in ANY COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!they are cheaply named rip-offs of Pepsi,Coke,A.W.,Mug,etc.

Jek Porky 2002
07-30-2002, 04:52 PM
Never heard of them but I agree that they are complete rip offs of other drinks. Own brand Cola is the worst, it just doesn't taste like Pepsi (My favorite) or Coke and leaves a horrible sticky feeling in the back of your throat.

Mandalorian Candidat
07-30-2002, 04:56 PM
Yeah, every generic line has a Dr. something-or-other. It's just a different taste so the only way to describe it so people will know what it is is by putting Dr. in front of another name. The only successful one so far has been Mr. Pibb.

They should just call it carbonated prune juice because that's what the flavor is.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Carbonated prune juice.

*slurp*

Jek Porky 2002
07-30-2002, 06:01 PM
Is that really what Dr. Pepper is , Prune Juice?

dingodad
07-30-2002, 08:59 PM
Dr. thunder is good if you drink it through a cherry twizzler.

Needles
07-30-2002, 09:04 PM
I should try that.:rolleyes:

BoShek
07-30-2002, 09:53 PM
I have tried all of the "Doctor" sodas. There are a lot!
Dr. Pepper
Dr. W.
Dr. Thunder
Maybe more Doctors but my favorite of all time: Dr. Perfect (makes me think of Curt Henning every time!)

LTBasker
07-30-2002, 10:00 PM
Dr. Pepper is king!!!!!!!

Dr. Thunder is Wal-Mart/Sam's Club brand I think, doesn't taste bad. It's near Dr. Pepper taste but just doesn't have the same thing that Dr. Pepper has.

"Needs more dog." - The Simpsons

Exhaust Port
07-30-2002, 10:08 PM
I've also have had:

Dr. Pop
Dr. Becker

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-30-2002, 11:43 PM
From what I hear, most of the store named rip-offs (Dr. Thunder, Dr. Tops here in WNY) are actually Dr. Pepper in disguise. It is just the company (Dr. Pepper) contracts out to Wal-Mart, and Tops supermarkets, because the pop that is at the bottom of their huge industrial vats, they will not label with Dr. Pepper because supposedly it is of lesser quality and their might be a taste difference. So they contract it out to Wal-Mart, etc. for a cheaper price.

That is what a friend who works at a supermarket told me. I believe the same thing is true for other store named merchandise such as "Tops Corn, Tops Cereal, Tops Borscht." Tops doesn't own a factory in where all of those products are made rather they get them from other companies (i.e. Kellogs).

JediTricks
07-31-2002, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Jek Porky 2002
Is that really what Dr. Pepper is , Prune Juice? Nope, that's a commonly-held misconception, a rumor that dates back nearly a century. Dr Pepper's flavor is a lot of other fruits mixed together, but NONE of them have ever been prunes.

Dr Thunder is the Wal-Mart brand, right? I don't do caffeine anymore, but I remember that one being pretty unpleasant compared to the real mccoy and it's sweeter Coke-owned competitor, Mr Pibb. Trader Joes has another "Dr ______" drink (it may be Dr Becker, I can't remember) that's ok, but I still don't trust it.

LBC, I think it's not true, read the bottling/packing info on these generics and you won't see the same names as your local 7-Up and Dr Pepper bottlers. Most of the generics in my area come from different plants that are mostly in Texas and have a LONG drive till they get here, which lets 'em be a little more stale; but none of them here are bottled by any name companies.

I've found that, if you avoid the big trademarked flavors like the name-brand colas (Pepsi, Coke) and Mt Dew and Dr Pepper, some of the generics out there are actually better than the name-brand versions (I like Vons/Safeway Select brand Fruit Punch soda m'self). Then there's the x-factor of national brands that aren't the top product like RC Cola and Shasta, both are name-brands but don't really have a trademarked flavor and seem kinda half-arsed and generic.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-31-2002, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Nope, that's a commonly-held misconception, a rumor that dates back nearly a century. Dr Pepper's flavor is a lot of other fruits mixed together, but NONE of them have ever been prunes.

Dr Thunder is the Wal-Mart brand, right? I don't do caffeine anymore, but I remember that one being pretty unpleasant compared to the real mccoy and it's sweeter Coke-owned competitor, Mr Pibb. Trader Joes has another "Dr ______" drink (it may be Dr Becker, I can't remember) that's ok, but I still don't trust it.

LBC, I think it's not true, read the bottling/packing info on these generics and you won't see the same names as your local 7-Up and Dr Pepper bottlers. Most of the generics in my area come from different plants that are mostly in Texas and have a LONG drive till they get here, which lets 'em be a little more stale; but none of them here are bottled by any name companies.

I've found that, if you avoid the big trademarked flavors like the name-brand colas (Pepsi, Coke) and Mt Dew and Dr Pepper, some of the generics out there are actually better than the name-brand versions (I like Vons/Safeway Select brand Fruit Punch soda m'self). Then there's the x-factor of national brands that aren't the top product like RC Cola and Shasta, both are name-brands but don't really have a trademarked flavor and seem kinda half-arsed and generic.

Yes, JT is right about the prunes. For more detail look it up in the Vanilla Coke thread.

And as far as store brand rip-offs is concerned, I probably shouldn't have lumped Wal-Mart pop in with what I said. I am pretty sure in what I said applies to supermarket brands (i.e. Tops, Wegman's Cola) but JT you are probably right with the other generic brands.

Needles
08-10-2002, 10:56 AM
goodlist,supermarket soda,aint always bad,I like DR.W,the other store brand soda's arent as good,I tried all that I could fine

QLD
08-10-2002, 11:28 AM
There is also Dr. Check here in GA at Winn-Dixie Supermarkets.

And Dr. K here at Kroger.

And I love Wal-Marts Mountain Thunder. Tastes as good as the Dew.

2-1B
08-10-2002, 07:36 PM
I've had Mountain Lightning, but never Mountain Thunder. ;)

The Sarlacc Rich
08-10-2002, 10:58 PM
Here in my area, we got's Dr. Publix.... it rocks heavy on a soda pop tip! KEEOW!

Nexu
08-10-2002, 11:07 PM
I like the cheap brands. You can buy a 3 litre bottle of Mountain Lightning for $.80 when you can get a 2 litre of Mountain Dew for around $1.20. Which would you choose? They're both loaded with caffeine, and they don't taste that different.

Needles
08-10-2002, 11:57 PM
I go with the brand name,it may be .$.40 more expensive.i dont really care,I find them ripoffs,so far the best of these ripoffs is Dr.W

Capitan_Moroni
08-11-2002, 12:34 AM
we just got a shipment of Pib Xtra at work the other day. Has anybody tried this yet? I called coke, and they said it was esentially Mr. Pibb with a spicyer flavor (wouldent that make it Dr. Pepper?). I dunno, I like the Big K brand of Rootbeer, thats good stuff....

QLD
08-11-2002, 02:42 AM
CAESAR!!!!!!!!

I AM TIRED OF YOU ALWAYS CORRECTING ME!!!!!

I AM ONLY HUMAN!!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

:D