PDA

View Full Version : Arcade Games!!!

Lobito
07-30-2002, 06:44 PM
So of all the Arcade games, which ones are your favorites of all time???

I can say Double Dragon...Gauntlet...Rampage...Commando...Kung Fu Master...Yi-ar-Kung-Fu...Karate Champ...Ikari Warriors...Ring King...Punch Out...Choplifter...Outrun...Street Fighter II...Mortal Kombat...Pole Position...

Just to name a few...there are lots that for some reason i cant remember their name...anyway...what are your fav arcade games???

DeadEye
07-30-2002, 09:31 PM
I like the shooting ones, like Area 51, Time Crisis, and Crisis Zone. I never liked the fighting ones. :D

Jonna
07-30-2002, 09:36 PM
Galaga was and will always be the best!

Exhaust Port
07-30-2002, 09:42 PM
Galaga (the one and only)
Time Pilot
Battle Zone
Star Wars
Out Run
Shinobi

I don't care for the new games that much at all. Everytime I go to a Dave and Busters I give a racing game a run or 2 and that's about all I can handle. After that I seek out the 1 or 2 classic arcade games they stock and the hand full of pinball games. I have found that I love pinball.

The one thing that I've noticed about new games that really bugs me is that they are time based not level based. So you pay $1 for 3 minutes of life and no matter how well you do your dead when time expires (unless you pump in another $1). Older games let you play forever if you're good enough on the original $.25 and give you a real sense of accomplishment.

DeadEye
07-30-2002, 09:45 PM
To tell the truth, I've never heard of Galaga. Is it an older arcade game?

Exhaust Port
07-30-2002, 11:39 PM
Yes, I believe it came out in '82. It's basically a suped up Space Invaders. I'm sure you've seen it but haven't put the name with it.

The one thing that sticks out in Galaga vs. Space Invaders is that it's possible to have your ship captured by one of the "insects" with the possibility of getting it back to join with your next ship.

I also think Galaga was the first game to have a "Bonus Level."

billfremore
07-30-2002, 11:49 PM
Shinobi
Exciting Hour
Kung Fu Master
Dragon's Lair
and of course the classic vector Star Wars

Dark Knight
07-31-2002, 01:48 AM
Spy Hunter was the best:) :) :D

JediTricks
07-31-2002, 02:37 AM
Spy Hunter
Star Wars
Paperboy
Kung Fu Master
Defender
Galaga
Pole Position II
Strider
Rygar
Crazy Taxi
Rampage
Street Fighter II
Mortal Kombat
Dig Dug
Mr Do
Bubble Bobble
Tetris
Noah's Ark (if you've been to Chuck E. Cheese's, you may have seen this game, it's a small machine for little kids)

I love pinball, we used to have a machine in the house when I was a kid. I never really got all that good at it, but I love the realness of it. I also like Air Hockey, skee-ball, and pool, but I can't say I'm any good at those either. :D

Dark Knight
07-31-2002, 02:42 AM
Hi JediTricks

Which Star Wars arcade game? The new one or the ROTJ?

Just Wondering

Beast
07-31-2002, 02:43 AM
JediTricks named some classics, but where's the mention of some of the really old great ones?

Burger Time
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Pac-Man
Mrs. Pac-man (Better then the original)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jonna
07-31-2002, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Spy Hunter
Paperboy
Kung Fu Master
Defender
Galaga
Pole Position II
Strider
Rampage
Dig Dug
Mr Do
Bubble Bobble
:D

Ha! I had completely forgotten about these classic games! They just don't make 'em like that anymore.:D

QLD
07-31-2002, 03:29 AM
My favorite arcade experiences were:

Sinistar
Robotron
Dig Dug
Donkey Kong
Pac Man
Street Fighter II
NBA Jam
Pole Position
WWF Wrestlefest
WWF Wrestlemania
Tron
T2
Double Dragon
Final Fight
Star Wars Arcade
Pengo (no, not Pendo!) :D
Defender
Galaga
Space Invaders
Asteroids
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Gauntlet
SMASH TV
Popeye
Punchout

I think that sums it up. :D

JediTricks
07-31-2002, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by Dark Knight
Hi JediTricks

Which Star Wars arcade game? The new one or the ROTJ?

Just Wondering Howdy DK. Actually, neither - I was referring to the first, the original, the video game that probably ate more quarters from me than any other, "Star Wars Arcade", the vector graphic-based (little white and red and green lines, no texture maps at all, we're talking early EARLY '80s) classic that had actual lines of dialogue from ANH, came in either stand-up or sit-down housings, and had a TIE Fighter-style control yoke.

Some more on my list are:
Burger Time
Root Beer Tapper
Tempest
Centipede
Millipede
Popeye (actually, I'm torn on that one)

I never really LOVED the Pac-Man series, except for Pac-Man Jr (half video game, half pinball machine... or am I thinking of "Baby Pac-Man"? one of those 2) and Super Pac-Man. I almost put Donkey Kong and DKjr on my list, but when I thought about it, I realized I never really LOVED those games, they were just kinda fun at best, like the original Mario Brothers.

Exhaust Port
07-31-2002, 10:44 AM
Elevator Action
Zaxxon
Time Commandos
Space Harrier
Time Pilot 1984
1943-Battle of Midway
Tron
Gauntlet "you've shot the Elf" :)

Boy they don't make games like they use to do they? In fact, how many people here even have a real "Arcade" near them anymore? The closest thing near me is a Dave and Busters about 45-60 minutes away. All the local arcades I remember as a kid are long gone.

billfremore
07-31-2002, 11:24 AM
I know I'll be dating myself when I say this but...
Remember when video games cost a quarter?
and the really cool ones cost 50?

QLD
07-31-2002, 11:28 AM
I know of one arcade near me that has been in the same mall forever. Though it mostly only has whatever the newest fighting games are and some silly kids games, and skeeball.

There are a couple of dave and Busters near here, which are fun, but they are almost al racing games.

And I STLL have trouble paying more than .50 for a game.

billfremore
07-31-2002, 11:29 AM
Anybody try that Star Wars Trilogy Arcade game?
Any thoughts on it?

QLD
07-31-2002, 11:44 AM
It's cool. It's a little expensive, but you get to play for a good while.

billfremore
07-31-2002, 11:58 AM
Anybody ever defeat Vader or Boba Fett with the lightsaber?
Anybody else find that near impossible? :D

Lobito
07-31-2002, 12:31 PM
I forgot to mention Rastan and Narc...do u remember there was a game on which the main character was a cowboy and it moved similar to commando, well i cant remember the name of that game, any help???

Beast
07-31-2002, 12:35 PM
How could I, not to mention everyone else forget Contra! Great game. I remember playing it in a grocery store ages ago.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Shifty
07-31-2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by billfremore
Anybody ever defeat Vader or Boba Fett with the lightsaber?
Anybody else find that near impossible? :D

I've only beat Boba Fett, never Vader. I always play at Dave and Buster's and apparantly I can't defeat Darth Vader when I am inebriated. :D

"The drunk side is strong with this one."

"These aren't the drunks you're looking for, move along."

billfremore
07-31-2002, 12:40 PM
"Can it be done?"

"He will drink with us or die, my master"

El Chuxter
07-31-2002, 12:54 PM
I've beat Vader and Boba! :D My best friend managed the local arcade about two years ago, so I got unlimited credits when I went in.

Rolling Thunder
Star Wars (original one)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
The Simpsons
X-Men
Mortal Kombat 1-3 (not 3 Ultimate)
Galaga
Time Pilot (a few times I had to leave this one going, since it was so easy)
Mario Bros
Super Mario Bros
Arkanoid
Tetris
Blocks (a knockoff of Tetris w/ bombs and guns and such)
Contra
Kung Fu
Asteroids
Xenophobe
Double Dragon
Bad Dudes
Karnov
Kings and Balloons (I think I liked the King's ridiculous voice and his sort of umbrella parasailing more then the game itself)

There's a couple I can't remember the names of for sure. One was a sideways scroller where you're a ninja, and I think you're trying to rescue a princess. There were stages in the rain. Dang, I haven't even got a clue to the name of this one!

And an overhead game in which you're a small, silver spacecraft with both bombs and lasers, flying over lush green landscapes and fighting primarily flying discs and ground-based canyons. Xevious?

Lobito
07-31-2002, 12:59 PM
There's a couple I can't remember the names of for sure. One was a sideways scroller where you're a ninja, and I think you're trying to rescue a princess. There were stages in the rain. Dang, I haven't even got a clue to the name of this one!

Maybe thats Shinobi??? Or Ninja Gaiden.

Rogue II
07-31-2002, 01:50 PM
Any thoughts on it?

I love that game. I was hoping they would release it for PS2, but I guess that will never happen. On Andrews AFB, they have that game in their food court arcade. It's 50 cents to play with .25 continues. I never got really good at it.

I remember 2 games I liked playing from way back in the late 70s early 80s were Gorf (a space invaders clone) and Crazy Climber.

Centipede was the first game I ever got my name in the High Scores list.

I bought one of those "classic arcade games" for my computer. It has Joust, Root Beer Tapper, Defender, and a couple other games on it. It was well worth the $5 I paid for it at a KB outlet. I think between that CD and the Playstation versions I bought, I have most of the classic arcade games.

Anyone remember that cheesy Journey video game?

El Chuxter
07-31-2002, 02:01 PM
Where you had to do a different game for each band member? All the while listening to a poorly digitized rendition of "Don't Stop Believing"? Dredging up the old memories there!

I wonder why bands don't make games like that anymore. Sure Aerosmith sorta made that shooter game a couple of years back, and there's a KISS pinball game for Playstation, and I heard Queen was doing an RPG of some sort. But those don't count! They have to be good old fashioned cornball games where Steve Perry has to fight microphones or whatever his little stage was. :D

billfremore
07-31-2002, 02:04 PM
Crazy climber, man I had forgotten all about that one.
Man that one was frustrating!

Wasn't that Journey game called escape or something like that?

Rogue II
07-31-2002, 02:52 PM
Kiss also has a game out for the PC called Psycho Circus (I think).

I remember playing Crazy Climber when I was 8 and my brother was 5. We used to laugh our butts off when the guy fell and yelled "OH Noooooooooooooo!"

JediDan
07-31-2002, 04:26 PM
Dragon's Lair
Tron
Pac Man
T2
TMNT
Crazy Taxi
Indy Jones (Temple of Doom)
Dig Dug
Out Run
etc.
etc.
etc.

Rogue II
07-31-2002, 06:39 PM
Wow, Dragon's Lair. That had to be one of the first 50 cent games. I really sucked at it.

JediTricks
07-31-2002, 08:54 PM
Exhaust Port, good call on those! I'm adding some to my list, specifically TRON and Elevator Action.

Also, Chux's list has a few more I'll be adding: Rolling Thunder, Arkanoid, and Karnov.

I'm also adding Smash TV to my list, I forgot but that game really was a lot of FUN to play.

I also hate paying more than 2 quarters for any video game, especially since I'm not all that good at 'em and so my 75 cents or even a whole buck can be blown in a matter of seconds.

Any thoughts on it? I like the graphics, but the controls are awful. The force-feedback control stick is just garbage on this machine, virtually no range of motion and it's super sluggish.

Oh, and I die far too quickly for the money I dump into this machine.

Originally posted by Rogue II

Anyone remember that cheesy Journey video game? I remember the Atari 2600 one, "Journey Escape". We played it for HOURS as a kid.

Here's my revised list, in no particular order:
Spy Hunter
Star Wars
Paperboy
Kung Fu Master
Defender
Galaga
Pole Position II
Strider
Rygar
Crazy Taxi
Rampage
Street Fighter II
Mortal Kombat
Dig Dug
Mr Do
Bubble Bobble
Tetris
Noah's Ark
TRON
Elevator Action
Rolling Thunder
Arkanoid
Karnov
Burger Time
Root Beer Tapper
Tempest
Centipede
Millipede
Popeye
Smash TV
Shinobi

Lobito
08-01-2002, 03:24 PM
I found the name of the cowboy game ala Commando style....GUN SMOKE!!

Anyway here is a link to lots and lots of arcade games:

http://www.klov.com/R/index.html

JediTricks
08-01-2002, 05:44 PM
Gun Smoke, I vaguely remember that one, it was pretty much as described - Commando in the old west. ;) I liked it, I think there was a scrolling segment on top of a train, yes?

Rogue II, I sucked at all those laserdisk games too, Dragons Lair, Space Ace... some others I can't remember the titles of. :D

Another arcade game I forgot to mention is one I've only seen in a few arcades and at Disneyland, it's a quick-draw game where you have a console with a holstered gun and in front of you is a real robot in either an alien costume or a cowboy costume which stands about 6 feet in front of the coin/gun console. The robot has a target sensor on his chest and has a gun arm which raises and "shoots" unless you shoot first. The machine even knows if you've actually got the gun in the holster or not so you can't cheat (easily ;)). It's just a standard quick-draw style game but the "reality" of it makes it more exciting than just shooting at some monitor.

JediDan
08-01-2002, 06:36 PM
Yes I forgot about Beer Tapper. That game was such a blast to play. I wouldn't mind playing a little of that game again. Any good emulators out there?

QLD
08-01-2002, 06:39 PM
Gunsmoke was pretty cool. I have it on my NES. I loved it.

Thrawn
08-04-2002, 02:53 AM
Im into Video Games more than SW if you can believe that. I have over 3200 home games and a full-size Pac-Land. So if you have any Qs. ;-)

Lobito Gunsmoke had 3 buttons for shooting so not really like Commando and it had bosses at the end of the rounds Commando had bases to beat.

My Favorites (alphabetical): 1942 APB - All Points Bulletin Alien Syndrome Altered Beast Amidar Arabian Bagman Bank Panic Berzerk Bomb Jack Bomberman *Bubble Bobble* Bubble Bobble 2 Bubble Bobble 3 Burger Time Buster Bros. Cabal Caliber 50 Carnival Chiller Choplifter Circus Charlie Cloak & Dagger Combat School Commando Congo Bongo Contra Cosmic Avenger Crazy Climber Crazy Kong Crossbow Crystal Castles Demolition Derby Dig Dug Dig Dug II Discs of Tron Donkey Kong Donkey Kong Jr. Donkey Kong 3 Double Dragon Elevator Action Excitebike Frenzy Frogger Front Line Galaga Galaga 88 Gauntlet Gauntlet II Ghosts'n Goblins Ghouls'n Ghosts Gladiator Golden Axe Gorf Hogan's Alley Hyper Sports I, Robot Ikari Warriors Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom Journey Joust Joust 2 Jr. Pac-Man Jungle King Kangaroo Karate Champ King of the Monsters Krull Kung-Fu Master Lady Bug Lode Runner Lost Tomb Mappy Marble Madness Mario Bros. Metal Slug Millipede Moon Patrol Mr. Do! Mr. Do's Castle Mr. Do's Wild Ride Ms. Pac-Man My Hero Mystic Marathon Naughty Boy Operation Thunderbolt Operation Wolf Pac-Land Pengo Phoenix Pigskin 621AD Popeye Punch-Out!! Puzzle Bobble Quartet R-Type Rampage Rampart Rastan Renegade Return of the Jedi Robocop Robotron Roc'n Rope S.P.Y S.T.U.N. Runner Sarge Satan's Hollow Scramble Section Z Silkworm Sinistar Smash T.V. Snow Bros. Space Gun Space Invaders Splatter House Spy Hunter Star Wars Strider Sunset Riders Super Cobra Super Contra Super Punch-Out!! Super Zaxxon Superman Terminator 2 Three Stooges Time Pilot Time Pilot 84 Toki Total Carnage Triple Punch Trojan TRON Tutankham Two Tigers Vanguard Wizard of Wor Xenophobe Yie Ar Kung-Fu Zoo Keeper

JediTricks
08-04-2002, 03:04 AM
Now that's a heck of a list! Some of those titles brought back memories for me, here are the ones I'm definitely adding to my list:

- APB
- Frogger
- Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom (Kalima will rule de world!)
- S.T.U.N. Runner

Oh, and one not on your list but like Popeye, sometimes on mine:
- Q*bert

DarthBrandon
08-04-2002, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by Jonna
Galaga was and will always be the best!

I'll second the motion on that one, I could play that game for hours on a quarter.

Rogue II
08-04-2002, 07:18 AM
Zaxxon, that brings back memories.

I remember a game, but I can't remember exactly what it is called. "Road ____?"(maybe) The game is similar to SpyHunter but it is more of the same prespective as Pole Position.

JediTricks
08-04-2002, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by brandon
(Galaga) I'll second the motion on that one, I could play that game for hours on a quarter.
For me, it was Defender. I could catch those little falling hostages for hours while plugging alien craft out of existence.

Rogue II, sounds like Spy Hunter 2.

You know what bugs me about modern arcade machines, both video and pinball? The scores are ridiculous now. You put in a quarter and that's already 10 million points. I hate having to look at scores where it starts at 1,000,000 and at least four of those zeroes never change, what's the point of having them there?!? It's like they're saying "remember those old games where getting one hundred thousand points was a big deal? Forget them, we'll give you billions of points for doing almost nothing!"

DarthBrandon
08-04-2002, 06:02 PM

For me, it was Defender. I could catch those little falling hostages for hours while plugging alien craft out of existence.

You know what bugs me about modern arcade machines, both video and pinball? The scores are ridiculous now. You put in a quarter and that's already 10 million points. I hate having to look at scores where it starts at 1,000,000 and at least four of those zeroes never change, what's the point of having them there?!? It's like they're saying "remember those old games where getting one hundred thousand points was a big deal? Forget them, we'll give you billions of points for doing almost nothing!"

Ah! Yes, Defender that was another kick-A** video game, I also liked 1942 as well.:)

I agree with you on the new points system in modern video and pinball, it's just plain awful. I wish they still had the old earn your points the hard way instead of giving you a million for a lame shot, plus it still takes you 1 billion points to get high score instead of a hundred thousand. Doesn't do a dam thing for me, because I can usually crack any pinball game in minutes. I'm not bragging or anything like at all, but that's mostly what I did in my spare time when I was a kid. It's just like riding a bike, once you learn it, you will never forget it. :)

MikeAndTheBots
08-04-2002, 06:23 PM
Damn, you guys are old :D
Anyway, I enjoy Marvel vs Capcom 2 (I had 1st place on the sore list in an arcade near me for a while until they cleared the scores :( ). That older X-Men game was fun (it could fit like 6 people or something), House of the Dead is cool (the second one seems lacking...), I was pretty good at one of the Time Crisis games, Street Fighter 2 was good and the Mortal Kombat games were cool.

Rogue II
08-04-2002, 07:08 PM

I don't think it was Spy Hunter 2. Its Road Blaster or Road Kill...something along those lines.

DarthBrandon
08-04-2002, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by MikeAndTheBots
Damn, you guys are old :D

Not old my friend, just big kids at heart.:)

Thrawn
08-04-2002, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Rogue II

I don't think it was Spy Hunter 2. Its Road Blaster or Road Kill...something along those lines.

Road Blasters by Atari. Drive down the road and collect the green balls for energy and shoot turrets. Drive thru tunnels - red car, green grass on either side, city in the distance, 50 levels. Get a certain distance and earn a free shirt - 15 years ago only in 1987 ;)

Mikeandthebots
The converse is true...damn you are young!
I feel bad for anyone only growning up with the big 3:
"Driving, Fighting, Shooting" - all they make anymore.

Lobito
08-05-2002, 01:51 PM
Lobito Gunsmoke had 3 buttons for shooting so not really like Commando and it had bosses at the end of the rounds Commando had bases to beat.

Well...u got the idea...

Anyway, i forgot to mention TMNT!!!:D

scruffziller
08-19-2002, 07:50 AM
I always liked Tekken 3, Time Fighters (i believe it was called, where you could be a caveman or an alien?) House of the Dead.
The old early 90s X-Men Game and THE T2 game(I remember my brother pumped $20 into that game trying to defeat it). Also don't forget the Ninja Guyden arcade game ( I loved slamming that humungous fat guy on the first level!!!!!!!!!!) Mike Tyson's Punch Out. MR. DO!!!!!! I played that game to death in the early 80s.
How about DIg Dug and all the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles games too. BOy what a trip down memory lane. Don't forget about GORF???? I think it was, it was a glorified SPACE INVADERS.
Also Altered Beast, Donkey Kong, and DK Jr.!!!!!!
It is really weird how you will play these games again how cheesy they will seem to you

Originally posted by Thrawn

Road Blasters by Atari. Drive down the road and collect the green balls for energy and shoot turrets. Drive thru tunnels - red car, green grass on either side, city in the distance, 50 levels.

OH YEA ANOTHER FAVORITE!!!!!!