PDA

View Full Version : New trend in the forums

jonboy
07-30-2002, 10:39 PM
Sorry, I just had to chime in on this. I have noticed that a lot of people are starting to use the classified section to advertise their ebay auctions. That just doesn't seem right to me. I mean, aren't those forums meant to help collectors by trading and selling to each other? Getting people's hopes up by starting a thread saying that you have a particular item for sale and then seeing that they actually have it on ebay is a let down to that person who might have wanted it. I know, in reality the item is still available to the person reading it, but that is just splitting hairs to me. I am not slamming ebay in any way. I have bought and sold many items on there myself. But, I don't pretend like something is for sale on this forum just to prod people into bidding on my auctions. That is insulting to my fellow SSGers. Maybe I'm just getting worked up over nothing( it has been known to happen), but I had to vent and see what everyone else thinks about this.

billfremore
07-30-2002, 11:42 PM
I see no reason why people shouldn't be able to advertise their auctions here. It's not really harming anything.

If you don't want to buy off of e-bay then don't.

jonboy
07-30-2002, 11:50 PM
I did not say anything about buying there. Actually, my post said that I have many times before(that's how I FINALLY got my Y-Wing). My point was that people shouldn't make it seem like their item(s) is for sale here when it isn't.

jonboy
07-30-2002, 11:53 PM
Also, I dig the reference to ST:TNG "Encounter at Farpoint" in your signature. Picard rules!!!

billfremore
07-30-2002, 11:55 PM
I understand, you'd prefer coming here because you can get what you need without the "fun" of buying stuff on e-bay

Makes sense in that way I suppose.

I for one have never made a transaction with anybody here yet so since I have no personal experiences to compare, I guess I'm just talking out of my @$$. :D

Thanks about the tagline. :D

jonboy
07-31-2002, 12:16 AM
There are some really good traders on this site. If you ever need anything, I can give you the names of some great guys to deal with.

billfremore
07-31-2002, 12:18 AM
Thanks but I find lots of people shy away as soon as they hear I'm in Canada.

I don't think people like shipping stuff across the border.

jonboy
07-31-2002, 12:27 AM
I do it all of the time. Is there anything that you need? Canadians have just as much right to this stuff as anyone else.

billfremore
07-31-2002, 12:32 AM
Well you'd be the first.

So, got a trade list? :D

JediTricks
07-31-2002, 03:05 AM
I also felt like having ebay auctions on the forums classifieds was uncool, but Steve told me to let them, so now I don't moderate those sections at all.

I have no problem with using auctions, I only have a problem with using forums to advertise one's auctions.

Exhaust Port
07-31-2002, 10:23 AM
Perhaps an advertisement section is needed so the For Sale section is cluddered with people pushing their current auctions. I agree with jonboy, it's somewhat misleading to put auctions in the For Sale section.

FKA Broke Collector
07-31-2002, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by jonboy
I do it all of the time. Is there anything that you need? Canadians have just as much right to this stuff as anyone else.

I think the reason for this is the cost associated with shipping over the border. I got burned on an e-bay auction one time. Didn't pay attention to where it was coming from and paid nearly 3 times as much on shipping. I guess if you're willing to pay it, it shouldn't matter.