PDA

View Full Version : There's a 31st of July???

rynobot
07-30-2002, 11:36 PM
I would have never guessed there were 31 days in a month, untill I saw it on the message board. More info on why there are 31 days would be nice to know. I know there were people back in the preroman/anciant Greece/semi Egyptian time when they started the whole calender thingie, but I'd like more detailed info like, names, dates, places, and such and such.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-31-2002, 12:00 AM
Weren't you taught in grade school . . .

30 days has September, April, June, and November. All the rest have 31 except February which has 28 and on leap year 29.

What get's me is Smarch. Lousy Smarch weather . . .

rynobot
07-31-2002, 12:10 AM
nope never learned that, I went to Public school and we weren't allowed to learn anything significat.

JediTricks
07-31-2002, 01:09 AM
I think it's simply because "they" didn't want any non-31-day month to be directly before or after another non-31-day month so since June is 30 days, July couldn't be.

30 days hath Septober, April, June, and no wonder. All the rest have peanut butter, all except my dear grandmother. She had a little red tricycle... I stole it!

darthvyn
07-31-2002, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner
Weren't you taught in grade school . . .

30 days has September, April, June, and November. All the rest have 31 except February which has 28 and on leap year 29.

yeah, i was "taught" this as well, but for some reason it never ever stuck in my mind. i never found it memorable! it was too many words to be a memorable thing for me, aparently.

i'm always surprised at the dates... oh, this month has 31 days? cool. one more day before i have to pay the bills...

SMARCH RULES!!! D'OH

Jonna
07-31-2002, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by rynobot
nope never learned that, I went to Public school and we weren't allowed to learn anything significat.

HA! Briliant!:D

rynobot
07-31-2002, 02:35 AM
I know who it was, it was Phumpalumpicas who invinted the calander.

DeadEye
07-31-2002, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner

Another Simpsons fanatic. :) "It was the thirteenth hour of the thirteenth day of the thirteenth month." :D

scruffziller
07-31-2002, 08:53 AM
25 hours/ 8 days a week/ 13 months out of the year......is when you speak----------RUN DMC

Darth Shifty
07-31-2002, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I think it's simply because "they" didn't want any non-31-day month to be directly before or after another non-31-day month so since June is 30 days, July couldn't be.

July and August are both 31 day months.

stormie
07-31-2002, 12:14 PM
Just use the "knuckle rule" to determine which months have 31 days. Hold your fists side by side in front of you (palms down), start with January on your pinky knuckle and proceed naming the months of the year by using each of the knuckles and the "valleys" between the knuckles for each month. By counting this way, January has 31 days, February (the "valley" between the pinky and ring-finger knuckle) doesn't, March (the ring-finger knuckle) has 31 days, April ("valley" between ring-finger knuckle and middle finger) doesn't, etc. Where the two fists meet (at the index finger knuckles) there is no valley, so the months go from July to August (both with 31 days) without a month in between. :D

I'm sure I didn't learn this in school. It's too practical. ;)

DeadEye
07-31-2002, 01:27 PM
Stormie,

That's a really good technique! The only useful thing I've learned from school is the difference between "your" and "you're"...apparently some other forumites haven't learned that yet...:D
Some other useful techniques include:
-Put your tongue on your pallete to stop a brainfreeze.
-Pinch the "web" between the thumb and index finger on your left hand to cure headaches and keep from sneezing.

Eternal Padawan
07-31-2002, 02:37 PM
If you massage your upper gums with your tongue when you are about to sneeze, it'll prevent it.

I didn't know the "web" thing prevented sneezing, but it has worked on my headaches.

I leaned the "knuckle " technique in school too, stormie!

I also leaned that the two digit answer of any number x 9 add up to 9 themselves. 8x9=72, 7+2 =9, etc.

Calendars is goofy. Seven days in a week? 30 days in a month? 12 months in a year? What kind of arbitrary monkey business is all that?

10 months, each with six weeks of six days each. Nobody wants Wednesday anyway. So thats 360 days, and the remaining five days can be spaced out throughout the year, representing the major holiday festivals. Spring festival (Easter, etc), Summer festival (4th of july, etc) Autumn festival (Thanksgiving, labor Day, Halloween), Winter festival( Christmas, Hannukah, Kwaanza etc) and Leap year festival (which every 4th year is two days long).

365 days.

I also think school should be year round since NOBODY needs Summer off to go plow their fathers fields. In the new 10 month/Six week period, you go to school for five weeks and get the sixth week off.

And I don't buy this "no mail on Sunday" garbage either. What's up with the five day work week? Why not space it out?

I'd also like to retroactively go back and renumber the years. We've been around a lot longer than 2000 years, why are clinging to that system? Because of JC?

ROLLO!

El Chuxter
07-31-2002, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
And I don't buy this "no mail on Sunday" garbage either.ROLLO!

What's really strange is the city I live in. It was founded by Seventh Day Adventists and we don't get mail delivery on Saturday. We get it on Sunday! You can't even get into the post office lobby to check a PO box on Saturday.

I've considered contacting the postmaster general's office to point out the apparent church/state problems with this, since it is genuinely inconvenient.

rynobot
07-31-2002, 04:54 PM
I think no trash pick up on Sunday is worse.

darthvyn
07-31-2002, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan

I also leaned that the two digit answer of any number x 9 add up to 9 themselves. 8x9=72, 7+2 =9, etc.ROLLO!

also, if you number 0-9, then 9-0 side to side, you get the multiplication tables of the number 9, times 1-10! weird, huh?

0 9
1 8
2 7
3 6
4 5
5 4
6 3
7 2
8 1
9 0

JediTricks
07-31-2002, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Darth Shifty

July and August are both 31 day months. Ah, that's why I put the qualifier about non-31-day months in there, July and August are 31-day months. :D

EP, year-round school has killed a few kids in my area in the past 10 years since they tried to bring it back. Most were PE-related, since apparently PE coaches are too stupid to see that strenuous activity on a hot day after lugging a ton of books around might be dangerous.