PDA

View Full Version : 9/11 becoming a holiday?

scruffziller
07-31-2002, 09:00 AM
It would be called Unification day. Not sure how I feel about it.

LTBasker
07-31-2002, 09:04 AM
Good idea, bad idea.

A Unification day isn't that bad of an idea, but nobody really unified that exact day except Americans, which pretty much do that on other Holidays anyways. Mostly the 4th of July...

billfremore
07-31-2002, 09:22 AM
You know if you use that logic why isn't December 7th a holiday too?

All those people died at Pearl Harbour, shouldn't we get a a holiday for that?

Sorry but I think this question is a little inappropriate.

LTBasker
07-31-2002, 09:26 AM
Shouldn't really be a holiday. You celebrate holidays, it should be more of a mourning day. The people at the Oklahoma City bombing didn't get a holiday either. Although I guess they would find a mourning day a bit depressing or something.

Beast
07-31-2002, 09:42 AM
Agreed, so definatly not become a holiday. A day of mourning, but definatly not a holiday. We need to respect the memories of those people that died, not use the tradigy to get a day off work. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Exhaust Port
07-31-2002, 09:49 AM
No holiday should be needed. It's not like we'll forget what happened that day anytime soon. Most people (sadly not everyone) remember what happened on Dec. 7th and we don't need a holiday to do that either. If they want a new holiday to celebrate why not VE-Day or VJ-Day. I wasn't around then but I'm sure they were hugh days for most of the world.

billfremore
07-31-2002, 09:53 AM
I guess I didn't come off sarcastic enough in my original post.

Why should people get a day off of work because of the tragedy of last September?
I we got a day off for every tragedy that ever happened, we'd never work.

Mandalorian Candidat
07-31-2002, 10:20 AM
I can see a national moment of silence commemorated at the time of the first plane crash, but a holiday? It's certainly tragic what happened, but as billyboy stated we'd have about 365 days off if we did this for every tragedy. Plus there are many anti-Americans who would like to see our economy shut down for another day out of the year.

billfremore
07-31-2002, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
It's certainly tragic what happened, but as billyboy stated we'd have about 365 days .

Billyboy?

icatch9
07-31-2002, 10:40 AM
I think a day of rememberence is a good idea. A day off would be a good thing as well. It's not a party holiday (ie New Years, 4th, ect), but rather a day to remeber what happened the day the world changed. It's not as if we party on Presidents day or Martin Luther King's birthday either. Most people probally don't even think of that day as a holiday. Peral Harbor doesn't have a specific date, but they do have memorial day. That is a holiday that lumps all the victoms of all the wars and honors them. What do we do on that day? We have parades and BBQ's, not much of a memorial if you ask me.

Back to 9/11. I think a holiday is needed. It's getting close, and the closer it gets the more emotional people are going to get about it. You can't exactly expect people who work close to the site to go into work that day, now can you. Imagin the people that are going to take that day off work to gather and honor those who died. I'm sure the site will be very busy with people paying tribute. I picture a sea of people just sitting there prying and remembering what happened. That sounds like a holiday to me. What about those who work at the Pentigon, sitting in the same area that was crashed into a year ago. Come on, no one is going to be working there that day.

This tragedy touched to many people for it not to be acknowledged somehow. A holiday is the best way to do it, but perhaps it won't happen. I think a day off for everyone is needed, but its not up to me.

El Chuxter
07-31-2002, 11:14 AM
Yes, but within three years it will be a party holiday. I can see it now: "Come to Crosstown Honda for our rock bottom 9/11 prices!"

Slightly related, I really wish people would stop referring to what happened as "nine-eleven." It only serves to trivialize what happened, IMHO, and transform thousands of lives into a catchy buzzword.

Beast
07-31-2002, 11:24 AM
Good point El Chuxter. I think most people say it though, cause they are trying to be P.C. That is one of the biggest problems with America today, everything is so damn P.C. Turning the attack into a holiday is just going to continue the P.C. BS.

Just look at the panic that Hollywood went thru when the Oklahoma Bombing happened. People were agast that the X-Files movie would show a building explode. And now they worry that people are going to have breakdows cause they see the Twin Towers in Spiderman or somthing. :rolleyes:

Now look, about 50 years after Pearl Harbor we have a romance war movie about the attack. Plus there were ones like Tora Tora Tora that came before. I wonder how long before some filmmaker decides to cash in on all this.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mandalorian Candidat
07-31-2002, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by icatch9
I think a day of rememberence is a good idea. A day off would be a good thing as well. It's not a party holiday (ie New Years, 4th, ect), but rather a day to remeber what happened the day the world changed. It's not as if we party on Presidents day or Martin Luther King's birthday either. Most people probally don't even think of that day as a holiday. Peral Harbor doesn't have a specific date, but they do have memorial day. That is a holiday that lumps all the victoms of all the wars and honors them. What do we do on that day? We have parades and BBQ's, not much of a memorial if you ask me.

Back to 9/11. I think a holiday is needed. It's getting close, and the closer it gets the more emotional people are going to get about it. You can't exactly expect people who work close to the site to go into work that day, now can you. Imagin the people that are going to take that day off work to gather and honor those who died. I'm sure the site will be very busy with people paying tribute. I picture a sea of people just sitting there prying and remembering what happened. That sounds like a holiday to me. What about those who work at the Pentigon, sitting in the same area that was crashed into a year ago. Come on, no one is going to be working there that day.

This tragedy touched to many people for it not to be acknowledged somehow. A holiday is the best way to do it, but perhaps it won't happen. I think a day off for everyone is needed, but its not up to me.

But by your own admission a 9/11 holiday would turn into a party holiday, just like Mem. Day currently is. Heck, any day we get off people end up partying or going off for a 3-day vacation. Look at Christmas. The supposed most holy Christian day and how many people spend the day thinking about it's true meaning? I don't think a whole heck of a lot.

I think we as a country should start focusing on the true meaning of all the current national holidays before we add another one. Yes it would be nice to memorialize this tragedy, but turning it into an instant holiday I think would cheapen the event.

Perhaps we could just individually take the initiative and each American take the time to remember these people, especially those who attempted to wrest control of the planes, and what it means to be an American. IMO it would be more important to remember why so many people hate us and why we need to contribute to society to keep our freedoms safeguarded than to say let's just take the day off because many people died.

I'm sorry if I'm ruffling anyone's feathers here. I'm not singling you out icatch or belittling your thoughts in any way. I just feel that a holiday for this event would be more of a hinderance to the country as a whole and less an appropriate memorial for what happened.

stormie
07-31-2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by billfremore
I we got a day off for every tragedy that ever happened, we'd never work.

One could only dream! :D

scruffziller
07-31-2002, 12:26 PM
Not something to really laugh about. No offense. I was laid off for a week and a half at my one job because of this occourance. We contacted clients for the company I worked for and the main office did not want us to be calling. I'm just glad I had a back up job.

stormie
07-31-2002, 12:38 PM
Not something to laugh about? Getting every day off because of too many holidays, memorials, days of remembrance, etc. that only 10% of the population is knowledgable about? No, that is something to definitely laugh about. Which was my whole entire point. Not the tragedy itself. :)

Rogue II
07-31-2002, 01:49 PM
There is already a memorial ceremony planned at the Pentagon for Sept 11th. The construction on the section that was damaged by the plane will be completed and officially opened as part of the ceremony.

icatch9
07-31-2002, 02:06 PM
I do agree that people need to realize why holidays are holidays, but that's not for us to decide. This country is free to do what it wants and if you dont' want to party on Memorial day you don't have to and if you want to get wasted on Christmas you can. That's America.

My point is can you really imagine conduction business of any kind on the day this happened. How could you buy, sell, trade exactly one year after the world stopped? Party or not, the mentle mind set of the counrty probally wont be on work.

In time wounds heal. 50 years ago Japan bombed us on a sneek attack and killed many solidiers and savilians. Now, we have open trade with them and to some degree consider them an aly. Even after we dropped 2 atomic bombs on them. This is within one life time. Can you imagin 50 years from now being friendly with Al queta, or even Iraq? It could happen.

Yes, in our lifetime we will see a movie about what happened. It will probally be a love story too. In time this wound will heal and people will be able to speak of it as a part of history rather than something that just happened.

Perhpas a holiday is not the best for this day, but there needs to be something. A day off is a good way to make sure everyone is aware of the day. The message of the day is something that is left up for people and families to discuss.

thespar
07-31-2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by icatch9
Peral Harbor doesn't have a specific date, but they do have memorial day.

wil you look at peral harbor that way the same can be said for sept 11. we where not at war at with japon at that time but it bought us it to war. we where not at war at the time of sept 11 but know we are so i say that it should become part of memorial day.

icatch9
07-31-2002, 03:20 PM
Granted those lost on 9/11 should be remembered on memorial day. It is an occasion to remember those lost.

I do not know if we are at War. Certainly not the same as WWII. Sure, it's the war on Terrorism, but that's not exactly the same as WWII. There is also a war against drugs, but is that the same. Its a new era and we do have a new enemy, but it's certainly not on the scale of WWII. Both are a tragedy in the history of mankind, but the war on terrorism still hasn't affected the world the way WWII did. As I said above 9/11 did change the world, but it changed the world created by WWII. Very creepy and strange when you map out the course of human events in the 20th century. Everything pretty much since the early 1900's has had a major cause and affect status on our world. Everything in our world has been affected by events that happened in the past. That may be a big duh for some, but I doubt many people relate the assasination that started WWI with 9/11, even though the begging of WWI started a chain reaction that is still going.

Enough with the history and philosophy. I thought this was a star wars site :D

JediDan
07-31-2002, 03:49 PM
Nope, no holiday for 9/11. Thats just wouldn't be right. We all can pay our own little remembrence when we want to, we don't need no stupid holiday for that. :rolleyes: If you really want to honor the fallen go get those SOB terrorists that cause things like that to happen. Take care of business, US Government is way too cautious. They let Saddam go free, Bin Laden go free, so I wonder how many more civilian deaths it will take till the US takes REAL action. Not this hide and seek crap.

thespar
07-31-2002, 04:09 PM
you made some very points there icatch9. you are correct in the fact that we are not in the same type war this go around in fact we do not have on nation to fight. and as far the assastion i do not know how that country haldens it.

Emperor Howdy
08-01-2002, 12:19 AM
Is "this" what you're talking about, Rogue II?......I hear ya.

Oh.....and no holiday.