PDA

View Full Version : Is Dinotopia worth watching?

El Chuxter
07-31-2002, 01:07 PM
I saw this week that the Dinotopia TV miniseries came out on VHS and DVD, and is on sale rather cheap. ($10 for DVD, I think.) Normally if a movie is that cheap and I'm fairly certain I'll like it, I'll buy it rather than rent it.

I know nothing about this, other than it's got dinosaurs in some kind of human society. I love dinosaurs, but that's all I've got to go on. Is it worth the ten bucks?

DeadEye
07-31-2002, 01:22 PM
Well, have you read the books? The series is set a generation after the books and is fairly faithful in art and such. The dinosaurs look good enough. There's not much action but it has plenty of story and character development, if you're into that. BTW the miniseries is just the beginning--the full series debues on ABC this fall.

Beast
07-31-2002, 02:17 PM
El Chuxter, check out this page I am linking to for reviews and images of the film. I will likely be picking this one up myself. The CGI Dino's arn't Jurassic Park quality, but the story is good...so you can look beyond the CGI. :)

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84939

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

The True Maul
07-31-2002, 02:23 PM
I might pick it up, to me it was ok!! :)

El Chuxter
07-31-2002, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the input, y'all! I think it sounds good enough to pick up. (Someone had it advertised at $10, or I can rent it for $4. . . might as well get it. :))

Of course, if I'd known before that it was the same effects team who did Walking With Dinosaurs, I'd have picked it up Tuesday morning when it first hit shelves. That show rules! I hope they make some more episodes of it before we all get mushed by an asteroid. :rolleyes:

DE, I've not read the books. I was under the impression they were "just" picture books. Is that not the case?

Beast
08-02-2002, 10:13 AM
El Chuxter, if you haven't picked it up yet HTF.com has a review up. I also picked the DVD up yesterday, and was able to get thru the first 2 hours. Excellent show so far, can't wait til I can pull myself away from watching my M*A*S*H: Season 2 DVD and watch the second disc. Here is a link to the HTF.com review. :)

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86143

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mandalorian Candidat
08-02-2002, 10:51 AM
I tried watching that miniseries on ABC but just couldn't after the first 10 minutes. It was soooooo boring and really uninteresting to me. Maybe I have the attention span of a mayfly or ... ooh something shiny... I'm just sick of the whole dinosaur thing, but I really didn't like it.

El Chuxter
08-02-2002, 10:54 AM
THX! Looks good. I think I'll pick it up tonight (and try to snag Big Trouble in Little China before the 2-disc version vanishes altogether). I was mistaken about the price; $9.99 was for VHS. But Wal-Mart has it for $11.84, which isn't much of a difference. :)

hango fett
08-02-2002, 11:04 PM
never seen it. have no desire to. looks too.....................kiddy like...
h.

Obi-Don
08-03-2002, 04:56 AM
It was pretty good and my daughter loved it. My daughter loves anything about dinos. I liked the idea of the story,but it could have had a little more action. I'll get it for my daughter.