PDA

View Full Version : Exclusives

Imperial Monarche
07-31-2002, 03:17 PM
I know this has been addressed before, but I just want to get out my opinion. Does anyone else out there think that exclusive Star Wars products at certain stores sucks?!!!!! I'm not talkin bout the quality of the product, but I'm talking bout the quantity. Wal-Mart is the worst, TRU is the best. Wal-Mart never has their exclusives and TRU does, but if they were shipped to all the stores, it would be easier to find. The only time i ever saw the TIE Bomber and Luke's Snowspeeder was at midnight madness, and me and my bro lucked out into gettin a snowspeeder, but some idiot bought the entire box of TIE Bombers and didn't share wit the rest of us. Then he snuck out, no doubt worried he would be shot. Since then, never saw them again. LET'S SEND A PETITION TO HASBRO AND ASK THEM TO STOP SENDING EXCLUSIVE PRODUCTS TO CERTAIN STORES AND MAKE THEM AVAILABLE TO ALL STORES!!!!!

billfremore
07-31-2002, 03:19 PM
Actually I wonder how much the the availability of exclusives is Hasbro's fault and how much is the actual store's...

Hmmm...

Captain Trips
07-31-2002, 03:22 PM
The only problem is that with some items, like the TIE Bomber, and especially the Imp. Shuttle supposedly forthcoming, exclusives are really the only way we would get some of these items. Especially with vehicles that just sit on shelves collecting dust when they are mass-released (see Jedi Starfighter and Slave I). I know it can be frustrating as a collector, but I think it would be far worse to not get ANYTHING.

brentfett
07-31-2002, 03:22 PM
I don't know man, I just don't ever have that hard of a time finding anything anymore.

thespar
07-31-2002, 03:26 PM
i think it might follow to the actual headquaters for the because they request an amount to be made then they send it the store in your area i have bite more luck with wm ecxlusives beacuse i have about 4 all with 20 miles of me.

Imperial Monarche
07-31-2002, 03:39 PM
Yeah, i pretty much have like three or four wm's in my area too, but if does no good cuz they all stock the same way.

thespar
07-31-2002, 03:59 PM
that odd at lease one of my will have exclusives saw both the tie-bomber and snowspeeder at one earlier this month

bobafett07728
07-31-2002, 04:05 PM
Exclusives are great because it gives us items that we would normally never get. However, I think the main problem with the exclusives isn't entirely in the hands of poor store distribution (WalMart), but in the hands of the scalpers. How is it that they ALWAYS get the exclusives that most collectors can't find at a store? That is what sucks. If it weren't for the scalpers buying the exclusives by the boxful, and marking them up double(sometimes triple!), we would all have the exclusives, the stores would make all their sales, and we would all be happy. I've been to the local WalMarts on numerous occasions, and always come up empty handed. I have never actual seen a TIE Bomber in person, and the only two Snowspeeders I've seen were at a comic/card show at the mall for $60. Ridiculous. I've never had much trouble with TRU, but Target, and WalMart have notoriously been difficult. There is too much out there to buy, so there is absolutely no way I can justify paying much more than retail for a piece. So I guess what it boils down to is. . .yes. . .I do think the stores are somewhat at fault (TRU is obviously doing something right, WalMart isn't), but we have to blame the scalpers moreso. . .and for that matter, the "collectors" who are paying the scalper prices.

GeneralKenobi
07-31-2002, 04:44 PM
I tend to disagree with the idea that TRU is doing something right with their exclusives...I think one of the main reasons that my TRU has a good amount of exclusives is because many collectors simply don't shop there anymore. There has hardly been anything new since 4/23 and alot of the TRU exclusives are way overpriced resulting in clearance items later on i.e. Queen's Starship and the 12" Dewback set...just my 2 Republic credits worth.

DARTHVADERUSA
07-31-2002, 06:25 PM
I asked a WM toy manager why all the Tie fighters disappeared in less than one day. He told me that the store employees were buying them to auction off on ebay. It seems to be a common practice.

tagmac
07-31-2002, 06:47 PM
Wal-Mart seems to be the only place I have NEVER seen their exclusives - every one I've gotten on the secondary market, except for the Cantina Band 12"", cuz they were only sold as an overpriced set.

First up was the Cantina scene...my Wal-Mart decided to raffle them off to the employees cuz they only got in one case (thankfully these showed up at KB later on). The Rebo Band 2-packs, and 6" Wicket, R2, & R5 - never saw them once in the store. During that time period, I never saw ANYTHING new in Wal-Mart...always the same junk, or the occasional remnants of the case they had put out earlier (new stuff gone, crap still there). I'd think it was cuz of the scalpers getting there early, but I truly believe the stuff never even hits the floor. Although there were problems with the TRU Han/Tauntaun and theTarget Luke/Wampa, they eventually released larger quantities (unfortunately this was after they were announced as "limited" and many of us spent 100+ for each) Since then, I've had no problem finding TRU or Target exclusives, but I still cringe whenever I see a decent item listed as "Wal-Mart exclusive." Unless Hasbro ships them so many cases that the employees don't think they are "rare," we'll continue seeing fewer in Wal-Mart, and more on e-bay.

FKA Broke Collector
07-31-2002, 06:48 PM
Why is it that there always seems to be not enough or too many? Why can't someone at Hasbro sit down with a log of the number of products were made at a time when they were over produced and the number at a time when they were underproduced and split it down the middle? There has to be some better way of doing this.

"Hmmmm. We made too many Y-wings... lets make less the next go around. Hmmmm..... we made too few B-wings... now let's finally figure this out for the Snowspeeder and TIE Bomber." What? No? Someone screwed up on the market research again? Typical.

Dar' Argol
07-31-2002, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Imperial Monarche
Wal-Mart never has their exclusives and TRU does, but if they were shipped to all the stores, it would be easier to find. The only time i ever saw the TIE Bomber and Luke's Snowspeeder was at midnight madness, and me and my bro lucked out into gettin a snowspeeder, but some idiot bought the entire box of TIE Bombers and didn't share wit the rest of us. Then he snuck out, no doubt worried he would be shot.

Ok, first there was not just a case of TIE Bombers, the snowspeeders and Bombers were packed together, 2 of each per case. Second, it is not WM fault, well, at lease at the store level. We have no control on what gets sent to up from Hasbro. Where as most things we can order, SW is one of those thinks we can't. Hasbro sends them as they see fit. So if you want to take up the issue of poor distribution, take it to Hasbro.

Originally posted by tagmac
Wal-Mart seems to be the only place I have NEVER seen their exclusives - every one I've gotten on the secondary market, except for the Cantina Band 12"", cuz they were only sold as an overpriced set.

Your saying these were only sold at WM as a set????:confused: That's weird, cause I got mine there, bought them 2 at a time, and only paid about $20 for each! Hmmm . . . . . . . .

Originally posted by tagmac
First up was the Cantina scene...my Wal-Mart decided to raffle them off to the employees cuz they only got in one case (thankfully these showed up at KB later on).

Orginally posted by DARTHVADERUSA
I asked a WM toy manager why all the Tie fighters disappeared in less than one day. He told me that the store employees were buying them to auction off on ebay. It seems to be a common practice.

I've stated this many, many times! If you know your store is doing this, please call 1-800-WAL-MART and report it!!! That is concidered understocking in our company and it is a BIG NO-NO!! Employees are not allowed to purchase merchandise before it hits the sales floor. Meaning they cannot go through the cases in the back, hold stuff from getting to the floor, etc. If an employee is caught "understocking" they will be terminated. The only way to stop this problem is to alert the company or managers when you know this is happening. But make sure you know 100%. Just because WM does not put out figs for a few weeks does not mean someone is hoarding them. We may just have not gotten them in yet. I always make sure I take my figs from the floor, on my breaks, and put them on layaway. Sometimes I cannot stand the trash that ends up getting hired at WM and then gives the good employees a bad name for stupid stuff they do:mad:.

tagmac
07-31-2002, 10:12 PM
Thanks to the shady practices of the Wal-Mart near me, I never saw those Cantina figs. I ONLY saw them on the secondary market and refused to buy them since they were ridiculously overpriced.

The only way to stop this problem is to alert the company or managers when you know this is happening.

Unfortunately, the managers are no better. They are often extremely nasty when you go to them concerning figures, refuse to help, and often are just as (or more) responsible for items not being on the sales floor. Try complaining, and you get the usual spiel, but nothing done to help you as a customer. At least that's all I've ever dealt with, and not just at Wal-Mart, but TRU. Hell, at mine, the manager buys all the good stuff herself, and has a booth at a flea market several towns North - and because it's the manager, customer complaints go NOWHERE!

stad
08-01-2002, 01:00 PM
I travel constantly everywhere in the Southeast U.S. and up to Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota all of the time. I can honestly say that nothing exclusive to Wal-Mart is very limited. That's not to say anything about poor distribution among the stores, I can find stuff at Wal-Mart generally several weeks sooner anywhere else but here in middle Tennessee. The Snowspeeder/Tie I think was more a victim of release time (because of Ep. 2 stuff) and some stores held them back, some released them, some released them late. I finally got my Snowspeeder from a new case on Midnite Madness, but the Tie I got a few weeks earlier across town. The 12" cantina figures I bought all at once, but they were individually for sale, and I seen them still earlier this year at a Wal-Mart in the next town in KY and over in Kansas (poor condition boxes by now, though). Anyways, I think I do still like exclusives, because I like the thrill of the chase, or at least of finding something, and I don't have much trouble finding anything, especially anymore. It gives us too much stuff that just wouldn't be available otherwise.

JEDIpartner
08-01-2002, 01:48 PM
I've personally never seen any W*M exclusives. I've seen plenty of the Target, TRU and K*B exclusives, though. I was able to get quite a few of them at decent prices... before they went to "auction". :frus:

Mandalorian Candidat
08-01-2002, 02:04 PM
What chokes my chicken (or slaps my monkey if you prefer) is the price on these buggers. The B-Wing was $40 and so is the X-Wing. I lucked out and was able to score the BW for less than 30 after the clearance, but the XW will just disappear w/o needing a clearance; none of the TRU ones do. I can't see the justification for the cost over the poor quality, i.e., lack of unique pack-in figures, no electronics, flimsy plastic. Granted they're in limited nos. because of the exclusivity, but I don't accept an excuse of limited features at a high cost.

stad
08-01-2002, 02:10 PM
I agree with that, the price on many (not all) of the exclusives is a little ridiculous.

stad
08-01-2002, 02:11 PM
But that's USUALLY more a result of who has them. Anything K-B is overpriced at retail, and TRU is often not too far behind. I won't even talk about FAO!

Darth forb1us
08-01-2002, 03:26 PM
exclusives are fun, when you get your mits on them. exclusives are also a royal pain in the arse when you cannot find them.
I hate driving all around lately, but with exclusives, IF I already have everything else current, I can go to only those stores, instead of every walmart, every target, every kb and tru, every family toy etc.
(but if it wasnt exclusive to begin with I could find it that way MUCH QUICKER then flocking to a given store several times per week to not find anything because they dipwad employee has sticky fingers.....) - which isnt everywhere, but is in A LOT of places... hell, one WM has 4 guys that collect (4 that I know of, who knows how many more are buying the stuff) I avoid that store most of the time because it is a waste of gas and time. (plus they stock the sw at 4am, and retired scalpers and fleamarket junkies are there waiting, pulling them as they are pegged...)

FIGHT BACK, call the company, report the employee's, take it to the corporate offices if joeshmoe manager is dipping in the cookie's long before the cookies pop the oven!

:mad: :frus: >:/

rynobot
08-01-2002, 04:04 PM
if you want an X-Wing and don't want to pay $40.00 go buy the FX X-Wing. It's pretty much the sam thing except it has electronics. I found one for $30.00 on E-Bay last week.

Darth forb1us
08-02-2002, 06:43 PM
I'll check it out, thanks for the headsup rynobot