PDA

View Full Version : New Darth Maul (sith training) and Anakin (tatooine attack)

AmanaMatt
07-31-2002, 03:22 PM
I'll say this much about these two (new) figures, they are better, by quite a bit - over the initial Ep II wave(s) we got back on 04/23.

Maul: Overall, the sculpt is quite good, as is the paint detail, with the exception of a lack of painted teeth, which, unfortuantely, does kinda make one go, 'ugh!' For those who are fans of the 'action features,' of which I am big-time not, Maul has not one, but two levers on his back that both control his right arm and hand. Honestly, not that big of deal, and this isn't as noticeable as the previous Anakin. Some with spew venom over it, though when this hits retail big. Maul stands well enough, and does have a sort of menacing pose. For me, the best thing about this piece, are really Maul's accessories. We finally get an excellent Probe Droid, with a wide enough base that will allow it to stand with little fear of falling over (it is removable too). This is a wayyyy better version of the probe droid with got with the Ep I accessory packs. I am a huge fan of metal lighsaber handles (that have detail to them), and this one is my second favorite, just behind Yoda's lightsaber (small, yet very cool). As a whole, a decent piece, and the inclusion of awsome accessories warrants its existance to me.

My grade for Maul: B
My grade for his accessories: A

Anakin: As a whole, a very good sculpt, with decent articulation. Hasbro still can't make one of these Anakin's really look like Haden Christenson, though, but this one is probably the coolest-looking Anakin to date. This fig does have a magnet on his right hand that is noticeable...but only if you pose him that way or don't open one; decent arm and wrist articulation makes this a total nonissue for me. The 'action feature' is a button featured on Anakin's back that allows his leg to be kicked, and this detracts a bit for me as the pose is a little wider that I care for. But, what do I know? As with the Maul, Anakin sports above average accessories including a gaffi stick (never can have enough of those), rifle, weapon rack, and what looks like a Tusken trash can. These make this figure worth the price overall. On a mention of the soft goods, as some have already made thier concerns known about this on other posts. Personally, I don't really care for soft goods as a whole, but when done decently - as this new Anakin's cloth has been done, I don't mind it and frankly this fig is probably one of the better attempts, IMO.

My grade for new Anakin: B
My grade for accessories: B+

AT-AT Man
08-04-2002, 06:47 PM
hey does mauls saber split in two

-JediMaster-Yoda-
08-05-2002, 06:33 PM
I want this toy so bad mainley because of the metal hilt

AmanaMatt
08-09-2002, 12:24 AM
Sorry, the saber is one piece, though the blades are removable; fact it is metal is very cool as well!

JEDIpartner
08-14-2002, 05:58 PM
I think the Maul is a bit of a waste. The figure looks okay for the most part, but is basically the deluxe Maul after his workout. The Sith Probe Droid is much better than the "accessory pack" version from E1. I took it out of its box, looked at it, played with it and packed it away in the storage bin.

AmanaMatt
08-16-2002, 02:40 PM
Maul's ability to kneel is the only the saves the figure.

Bobajames
09-09-2002, 10:54 PM
on my figures for both of these, the gimmick doesn't even work. Ani looks like he's havin a spasm and maul just throws the saber.

Chiesa
09-12-2002, 09:39 AM
I think both of these figures are just great... :) The sculpt of Anakin TA is just great, I think its the most accurate to date...

Cheers :D

Darth Sidious
10-26-2002, 12:52 PM
I got both of these today (Finally) and I think Anakin is pretty good except for the gimmick, but the Maul is amazing, in my personal opinion. I have his fist raised (Like Vader Unleashed's) and his saber back, he looks really menacing. I have a bright light behind him too so the lighting is great. Advice-Tie a clear rubberband around his saber and hand, he wont throw it. As for Anakin's gimmick...well...there is no helping it. It is easy enough to ignore though.

Darth Cruel
10-27-2002, 12:48 AM
I don't have the Anakin very high on my list of priorities but I like Darth Maul so I had to get this one. NOT a great figure but it is a good figure. I hate gimmicks and, as mentioned above, this one got twice it's share. It does have a good pose considering that it has no better articulation (even with the kneeling ability) than any other Maul. The steel 'saber is cool, but the scale is still wrong. Unfortunately it probably always will be. The base from the Rebel Pilots CS came in handy for this.

Darth Cruel
10-31-2002, 11:14 AM
That last sentence was an incomplete thought. I posed him with his right foot on a peg from the above mentioned stand, his left leg on one of the floor lights, his right (over-gimmicked) arm straight and pointed down and away from him, and his left hand holding his lightsaber diagonally across his body with the right end pointing down. It is actually a great pose for ANY Darth Maul figure.