PDA

View Full Version : Hello, Hooray ! Let the Widevision begin, I've been ready . . .

2-1B
08-01-2002, 12:16 AM
Ha-HA ! Leave it to me to incorporate Alice into a cards thread title! :D :D :D

:rolleyes:

I for one am excited that Topps is offering an AOTC Widevision series in November! :happy:
I remember reading in the Insider that it was being considered, but I gave it little thought . . . didn't want to get too excited.

But they're on the way, and I hope the first 80 cards do well to allow for a second series. :)
They claim to focus more on the end of the film, I like that idea A LOT. In my review of the current Topps set (which I never bothered to write :D ) I noticed that the set is pretty light in terms of the last scenes of the movie.

Any other excitement out there? I agree with ya if you think they should have made Widevision in the first place, but I've been on such a card binge lately . . . no, not a binge because I'm back to stay . . . that I'm SO willing to give this a chance!
Who's with me ?!?!?!?!?!?!? :)

"cough - I'll be looking for trading partners too - cough"

Beast
08-01-2002, 04:14 AM
Hey Caesar, I saw this Widevision Card from the upcoming set posted over at HomeTheaterForum. The set looks really nice, I may pick up a box and try for a set. Not sure whether this is a promo card or an actual card from the set. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
08-01-2002, 04:18 AM
Thanks, I love that border! :)

I'm guessing it's a regular card, that scene was probably not 100% when they finalized the first set . . .

But if anyone learns of Promo cards, please post away ! ! ! :)

If you buy a box, you'll likely get a whole set, and be a few cards short of a second.
Before I buy a regular box, I need to know if they will be releasing any collectible tins like TPM WV and the first AOTC set.

scruffziller
08-01-2002, 09:25 AM
That is a cool card.

2-1B
08-06-2002, 01:23 AM
And they are offering chase autograph cards too ! :happy:
That could get pricey, I just know I'll buy a few hobby boxes now, hoping for at least one autograph card. :(

Looks like that R2 card may be a promo, regardless there will be a promo in
Non-Sport Update magazine. I just bought an issue a few weeks ago for a current promo card . . . I hope the new Widevision set gets a cover story as well. :)

stillakid
08-06-2002, 08:01 AM
I'll be looking out for them too! But as I mentioned a while back in another card thread, I'll just hang out and wait to buy a complete set. I've done this in the past for the other WideVision releases. I think the most I paid for one was $45. That doesn't include chase cards. But with the exhorbitant price of individual packs, it's actually cheaper to buy the whole set and pay $10-$20 per chase card. Granted, it's not quite as fun as the good ol' days, but my numbers didn't come up in the Lottery last Saturday either. ;)

2-1B
08-07-2002, 04:19 AM
Good point stillakid, it's certainly much more economical that way. My general guideline has been to buy packs until I have collected/traded for a complete set. And any chase cards are just a nice bonus. I have very few chase cards from TPM Widevision series 1 and 2, but with the first AOTC set I came so close that I just had to polish it off! :D
With this new Widevision set, I'm anxious to see the odds on the autograph cards. I hope they really crank them out, I don't need them to be rare - I just think they would be neat to have for the sake of having. Even if they could guarantee one autograph per box, I think they'd sell A LOT of product compared to the idea of super rare autographs. Very few people are going to buy multiple boxes if they are unrealistically hard to come by.

I recall the box of Chrome Archives I bought last month on mega-clearance, it contained 2 guaranteed double sided chase cards. I liked that, I at least knew I'd get something special for buying the whole box.

Back to the new Widevision series - any predictions as to the rarity of these autographs?

stillakid
08-07-2002, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Caesar

Back to the new Widevision series - any predictions as to the rarity of these autographs?

I don't have any info about these in particular, but I spoke with an exec at Upper Deck a few months ago about their chase card policy. It's their feeling that making them rare somehow sells more cards. If that's the general policy across the board, I personally have less interest in even trying for them in the first place.

That's one reason (just one) that I never collected the 12" Star Wars line. Too many exclusives and way too overpriced for what was being offered. At the moment anyway, the 3 3/4" line is just inexpensive enough to continue collecting, but it's been wavering on that line for a while now.

2-1B
09-20-2002, 02:45 AM
hey stillakid, did you get your new Insider yet?

The promo Widevision card is AWESOME, I am so psyched for this set ! :happy: It's a cool shot of the Spider Droid on Geonosis, I don't have it handy but maybe I'll scan it this weekend, but I think it's a very sharp looking card. It's numbered P1, I wonder what number the Yoda promo will be? :confused:

I anticipate enjoying these even more than the TPM WV set. :)

The inside back cover of that issue of the Insider has a full page promo for the new cards, but no stats on card rarity yet. :rolleyes:

stillakid
09-20-2002, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
hey stillakid, did you get your new Insider yet?

The promo Widevision card is AWESOME, I am so psyched for this set ! :happy: It's a cool shot of the Spider Droid on Geonosis, I don't have it handy but maybe I'll scan it this weekend, but I think it's a very sharp looking card. It's numbered P1, I wonder what number the Yoda promo will be? :confused:

I anticipate enjoying these even more than the TPM WV set. :)

The inside back cover of that issue of the Insider has a full page promo for the new cards, but no stats on card rarity yet. :rolleyes:

Just yesterday! My eyes lit up a bit when I saw the promo card. For some reason the cards excite me more now than the toys do. Maybe it's because the cards were the thing that I bought mostly as a kid.

:)

2-1B
09-21-2002, 11:55 PM
I'm the same way.
Aside from the Gunship and 12" Dooku, I've not been excited by the toys in quite awhile. eBay dealers made some money off me over the past few months as I bid, and bid, and bid on different sets. :D

I'm taking it easy until November when these cards are released, a friend and I are each gonna buy one or two hobby boxes and see what we can score. Sure we'll be getting several multiples, but other friends who aren't into card collecting will easily take duplicate sets off our hands - leaving any and all chase cards to ourselves. :happy: