PDA

View Full Version : Most Overrated Figure?

GNT
08-17-2001, 07:11 AM
Based on James the Hutt's Most Overrated Figure? (http://209.197.112.151/thread.html?dom=ss&TID=16&PID=2846) thread at the OLD SSG Forums!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

What figure (from any of the lines) do you think is the most overrated? A figure that for some reason doesn't mean anything to you, but everyone else seems to praise.

evenflow
08-17-2001, 02:10 PM
Wuher. I just wish the glass was removable.

bigbarada
08-17-2001, 02:24 PM
Honestly??

COMMTECH Stormtrooper. It seems Hasbro overcompensated for the bulked up sculpt of the 1995 release and made him too thin in the chest and back area. Sure the extra articulation is cool but you can't really get any good action poses out of one, just great dead, lying on ground poses.

Darth Vader Dagobah. I'm sorry, I just don't really see the point of this figure. It's not even Darth Vader! Sure the removable mask is cool, but the helmet sculpt is inferior to the COMMTECH version. Plus, it heralds the return of the plastic cape.:mad:

Vintage Luke Stormtrooper. Hideous face sculpt when compared to the ROTJ Luke Jedi and the mask looks like crap. If this figure was as common as the rest, it wouldn't have so much buzz surrounding it.

humsup
08-17-2001, 10:47 PM
IMO, Amanaman. Its just a slimey lizard / leech thing that atands on its hind legs. No big deal.

GNT
08-18-2001, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by humsup
IMO, Amanaman. Its just a slimey lizard / leech thing that atands on its hind legs. No big deal.

I agree with you about Amanaman! He barely had 2 seconds!

GNT™
''You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi. Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious

Boba Binks
08-18-2001, 07:51 AM
I will have to go with Aurra Sing.

2-1B
08-18-2001, 05:44 PM
Death Star Trooper is one of the most disappointing figures to me! The pose is horrid, and that gigantic rifle is shameful.

Lobito
08-30-2001, 05:18 PM
Monkey face Leia...for some reason everybody wanted this fig which supposedly was difficult to find.

TeeEye7
09-02-2001, 04:25 AM
I agree with evenflow:

For a fan club exclusive, Wuher is really disappointing. The ONLY reason I picked the figure up was because of the blow-out price. There had to be fifty on the wall of this comic book shop; all collecting dust. When they dropped the price (three bucks), I felt it was worth the trouble.

Obi-Don
09-02-2001, 11:58 AM
I can think of just one,To me its all these redos that get to me.I wish that they would spend some of the effort into making new figures.I don't always agree that the kids just want the core characters becaues after you have them you want more to build your universe.But who am I to say what others want.All I know is what I want.[Give me the whole Jedi masters]

TheBigSloppy
09-03-2001, 12:21 PM
Me thinks that Darth Vader with removable helmet has to be one of the MOST overrated figures ever. There were so many other figures of equal detail and sculpt in the POTF2 line. One magazine poll even had Vader in the top ten for best action figures ever made.

Don't get me wrong. It's great. But it's not the greatest.

JMHO.

Huckleberry Josh
09-29-2001, 03:41 PM
The Weequay Skiff Guard . It's really detailed and I like that part about it , but it comes with a blaster rifle and the figure can't even hold the darn thing . What's the point of giving it a blaster rifle if it can't hold it ?

sith_killer_99
10-01-2001, 08:12 PM
Well, there are MANY!

Vintage: Amanaman, the high price and the ugly character make this a real bomb.

POTF2 (EU): Darktrooper, again too high a price for an ugly, bulky lump of plastic.

EP1: Jar-Jar Naboo Swamp (AKA Swimming Jar-Jar), not even the articulated ankles could justify this figure!

POTJ: Boss Nass, another lousy lump of plastic!

These are just the top ones for each line!

BTW Removable Helmet Vader is still the BEST figure of any of the lines!

Wolfwood319
10-27-2001, 11:08 AM
I never really saw that much in the Removable helmet Vader, compared to the other freeze frame figs. The Vader is an excellent figure but nowhere near my top 10 faves of the new line.

I also didn't like the commtech Stormtrooper as much as everyone else.

GNT
10-27-2001, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
BTW Removable Helmet Vader is still the BEST figure of any of the lines!

I don't think so :) There are much better figures out there than him :)

sith_killer_99
10-28-2001, 04:30 PM
Whatever:rolleyes:

R/H Vader ROCKS:)

He's on almost every collectors top 10 list.:D

He's also one of the most original figures Hasbro has come up with, along with Dagobah Vader and more recently Emperor's Wrath Darth Vader.;)

Is anyone noticing a trend here?:D

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

bigbarada
10-28-2001, 05:23 PM
Kind of makes you wonder what the next Gimmick Vader will be.

I totally agree with you, though, on RH Vader being on many fans most wanted lists. I remember when I first saw the new POTF line back in 1986 (a year late, I know) my first reaction was "What? No removable Helmet Vader?" When I first saw the POTF2 line-up my immediate reaction was pretty much exactly the same. I do believe that RH Vader was the best Vader when he was released, however Hasbro could improve on him still. Other Vader's have come out since that are far superior in terms of sculpting. Maybe a resculpted Deluxe version, similar to the rescultped Slave Leia, will be making it;s way to our shelves soon.

sith_killer_99
10-28-2001, 10:50 PM
I'd like to see a Darth Vader with 2 piece removable helmet. A better sculpt, with cloth capes, and removable hand.

The key to the best Vader of all time is:

1. Articulation-Ball shoulder joints, knee articulation, along with the standard Vader articulation (elbows, wrists, etc.)

2. Sculpt-He should have a really good head and helmet sculpt. Size is also key here. Personaly I think the CT Vader was too skinny, while the POTF2 Vader was too buff.

3. Accessories-In this case he would have 2 pieces to his helmet. But he should also have a removable lightsaber hilt, like the POTJ Old Ben Kenobi, as well as a full lightsaber.

4. Cloth Capes- I like the double capes, but they should be made of cloth. The probelm I have with cloth capes is the material. I think Hasbro should use a heavier mateial for the cloth capes.

This would be the best Darth Vader ever, IMO!:)

GNT
10-29-2001, 01:24 AM

Is anyone noticing a trend here?:D

I guess you seem to like Darth Vader :)

bigbarada
10-29-2001, 10:02 AM
1. Articulation-Ball shoulder joints, knee articulation, along with the standard Vader articulation (elbows, wrists, etc.)

If the ball joints look anything like the CTC Stormtroopers then no thanks. However, Bespin Capture Han had fairly decent ball-joint shoulders. Something like that would be easily concealable by the cloth cape.

As for size, he should be the same size as the Sith Lord two-pack Vader. That one was perfect!

GNT
10-30-2001, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
If the ball joints look anything like the CTC Stormtroopers then no thanks.However, Bespin Capture Han had fairly decent ball-joint shoulders. Something like that would be easily concealable by the cloth cape.

The problem with the Stormtrooper is that they are white and black, with vader his just black so you'll have no problems at all.

Wolfwood319
10-30-2001, 08:36 PM
The sith lord 2-pack Vader in my opinion is the best sculpted Vader out there, way superior to the RH Vader.

Also, the theoretical "Best Vader" should also come with 2 sets of removable hands, similar to super-articulated anime import figures from Japan. One set of hands would have him able to hold his lightsabre, the other set would be casual with the right hand in a force-choke position, like he was with Motti. Then it would be the best Vader ever.