PDA

View Full Version : TV shows canceled that you really liked.

scruffziller
08-01-2002, 09:45 AM
NOWHERE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was really into that show. I couldn't stand it when it went off.
I wanted to find out what the heck was going on in that show it was really interesting

icatch9
08-01-2002, 10:49 AM
A long time ago there was a show called Earth 2. It was a good Sci Fi show that just didn't make it. It got canned inbetween seasons and we never found out what happened at the end of the cliffhanger

I loved Two Guys and a Girl and now it's not on anymore. I don't know if it was canceled or the series just ended.

The Mole 2 went off the air for the longest time, but thanks to bad summer rateings they brought it back :D

billfremore
08-01-2002, 10:53 AM
The Flash
Automan
Stark Raving Mad
Herman's Head
Cracker (american version)
Fantasy Island (with Malcolm McDowell)

Damn network executives have no idea what good TV is, this is why we get stuff like Survivor and Full House.

Beast
08-01-2002, 10:54 AM
Mystery Science Theater 3000 - One of the best TV shows ever. Sadly Comedy Central mistreated the series, and then when Sci-Fi channel picked them up, they just didn't support it. The series was still pulling good ratings when Sci-Fi channel cancelled them. :(

Futurama - With Simpsons becoming boring and redundant, a new series came along that was hilarious. Futurama was destined to become the next Simpsons. But Fox cancelled the series, but continues to show the Simpsons.

Clerks: The Animated Series - Was pretty good for not being able to be as blue as the actual movie. Unfortunatly ABC mistreated the series, delaying it for months before it finally aired. Then they placed it up against the playoffs, which made it destined to be cancelled. They also showed it out of order, only showing a total of 2 episodes before cancelling it.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

billfremore
08-01-2002, 10:59 AM
How about shows that went on too long?

COUGHx-filesCOUGH

Beast
08-01-2002, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by billfremore
How about shows that went on too long?
COUGHx-filesCOUGH
Totally agreement with X-Files. The series ran way to long, and lost quality in the last few seasons. The Simpsons is another one that has went on way to long. Cancel it and put it out of it's misery, and ours. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

gibbspaulus
08-01-2002, 11:10 AM
Certainly NOT under the 'too long' bracket was our wonderful Doctor Who. It was just getting back in to its stride and they pulled the plug! Then we had the 1996 film which was okay, but we want more! The series will be 40 years old next November!

Mandalorian Candidat
08-01-2002, 11:12 AM
I'll say Freaks and Geeks, which was totally funny. It was a little before my time because I would have been in 1st or 2nd grade during that era in the 70's, but I could relate it to my own high school experiences.

Also Space: Above and Beyond. It was on for only one season, but it was such a cool show. It seemed like a new show was on practically every week, but then they just ended the show abruptly. I didn't even get to see the entire last show and don't know what really happened to the characters. I wish it was brought back. :(

Nexu
08-01-2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Futurama - With Simpsons becoming boring and redundant, a new series came along that was hilarious. Futurama was destined to become the next Simpsons. But Fox cancelled the series, but continues to show the Simpsons.

What the Subway? I didn't know that!!! I don't have Fox anymore, which would explain it.

I like Earth 2, and uh.......wow. I just had a show in my mind, but I forgot it. wow. that's terrible. :crazed:

darthvyn
08-01-2002, 12:13 PM
i don't know, man, i enjoyed x-files to the end, and the simpsons still makes me laugh out loud! i don't agree that the simpsons should have been replaced by futurama, but i DO think that futurama should have aired right after simpsons. it would still be around if fox hadn't put it in the worst time slot available...

stormie
08-01-2002, 12:37 PM
Sportsnight

Special Unit 2

...to name a few.

master jedi
08-01-2002, 12:57 PM
Here's my list:
Titus
Undeclared
That '80's Show
The Lone Gunman
Earth 2
Freaks and Geeks

Why does Fox always have to cancel all the good shows? When will they learn?
I hear they're trying to kill Futurama.

billfremore
08-01-2002, 12:58 PM
Actually I think Titus is back, there were 2 new episodes on Monday

icatch9
08-01-2002, 12:58 PM
The Simpsons have lost something, that's for sure. It used to be a show about something. Lessons in life that this family learned one at a time. Then gradually they became a show that pokes fun at life. Wich is great, but lately they have been pokeing fun at themselves and just do some real stupid episodes. I don't think they need to cancel it, just get back to some writing that means something.

I agree that Futurama was a great show. It did have the worst time slot ever. I didn't know it was canceled. I wouldn't be surprised if another network didn't pick it up. Groening still believes in the show and wouldn't be afaid to shop it around. It's funny how fox would be so dareing with him. After all, there wouldn't be a Fox without The Simpsons.

2-1B
08-01-2002, 01:07 PM
Friday the 13th The Series :mad:

El Chuxter
08-01-2002, 01:07 PM
So Futurama's cancelled, but King of the Hill continues? Talk about running too long!

Dinosaurs: This was a clever, cutting edge satire. . . until someone at Disney said, "Ooh, puppets! Let's market it to kids!"

The Tick (both versions): Two of the funniest shows to hit the airwaves. And Fox pretty much killed the live-action version before it even started.

Cartoon Planet: This show almost made me pee in my pants nightly when it was on. Then, despite its rampant popularity, Cartoon Network cut it back to one day, and finally to none at all. (BTW, I just got Cartoon Network again for the first time in a few years. Is Cartoon Planet's parent show, Space Ghost: Coast to Coast still on? Or has Leave It to Brak more or less replaced it?)

Get a Life: It was a sort of tradition with Fox in the early days to cancel this show and bring it back almost monthly. Sadly, the last time stuck.

The Family Guy: Animation put you on the map, Fox! Why do you kill all the good ones?

The Flash: I loved this, but given the cost per episode, I sort of understand why it's not still around.

Jonna
08-01-2002, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
The Tick (both versions): Two of the funniest shows to hit the airwaves. And Fox pretty much killed the live-action version before it even started.

Have you ever read the original comics? They are a real Hoot!

:p

LTBasker
08-01-2002, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by stormie
Special Unit 2

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I miss that show, that was great. UPN doomed it by putting it after Enterprise on Wednsdays instead of in the front so it got low ratings, however it actually survived like 2 season. Wolf Lake which is what replaced SU2, didn't get past 13 episodes I think. :rolleyes:

MikeAndTheBots
08-01-2002, 01:22 PM
This is easy. Mst3k, Clerks: The Animated Series, The Tick (both), Futurama, Family Guy(which was much funnier than the simpsons later seasons), Cartoon Planet, And SGC2C. Space Ghost is the man. I'm still waiting to get the newer figures because comic shops are so damn over priced!
btw: Nice avatar Jonna, Lain is confusing (well to me anyway) but pretty cool.

LTBasker
08-01-2002, 01:25 PM
One series I wish could've continued for longer than it did was Batman Beyond. Kids' WB really mistreated that series and it was great! The series finale it got was just a generic episode which was NOT any type of send-off for the series. :mad:

billfremore
08-01-2002, 01:30 PM
The Family Guy: Animation put you on the map, Fox! Why do you kill all the good ones?

Because most of the general TV viewing public are mindless idiots with no appreciation for twisted humour and intelligent writing.

"HEY MAW! AMERICAN ICON IS BACK ON! GET THE YOUNGINS!"

darthvyn
08-01-2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
One series I wish could've continued for longer than it did was Batman Beyond. Kids' WB really mistreated that series and it was great! The series finale it got was just a generic episode which was NOT any type of send-off for the series. :mad:

that's done with? that's too bad. all that's left of the timm/dini is justic league? i loved the wb re-launch of batman. the black/gray batman, and the black/red robin - the designs were all so cool!!!

did you see the batman beyond movie? it was really cool, too!

Jonna
08-01-2002, 01:38 PM
Bill you need to stop that. There was just a bunch of morons in the work space (It's a box DAMIT. A box with no air holes!) next to me and they were all talking about American Idol. It takes all of my energy not to laugh uncontrolably at them.

"Like, did you see who they voted off last night? Oh MY God!!!"

MikeAndTheBots, thanks! Lain is my favorite anime; there is just nothing else like it.

billfremore
08-01-2002, 01:44 PM
"HEY GOOBER, DID YOU SEE WHO GOT VOTED OFF OF ICON LAST NIGHT"

"NAW I WENT FOR A DATE WITH MY SISTER INSTEAD"

jeddah
08-01-2002, 01:54 PM
was American Gothic. The network messed with the schedule and showed them out of order (and our UK muppets did the same) then they axed this fine show leaving me sad, confused and angry.:cry: :confused: :mad:

Also I enjoyed Dark Skies and it certainly seemed to be the inspiration of Stephen King's Dreamcatcher yarn.

oh well.

jeddah

Rogue II
08-01-2002, 01:55 PM
So Futurama's cancelled, but King of the Hill continues? Talk about running too long!

NOOOOO! Don't cancel Futurama! I can't stand King of the Hill.

I loved the animated version of the Tick. Unfortunately, I only caught 1 episode of the live action version since I was deployed to Kuwait when it aired. It seemed ok. I still see the action figures for it at KB.

wedgeA
08-01-2002, 02:22 PM
Twin Peaks- One of my favorite shows ever.

The Original Star Trek- hey, it was cancelled, and I do like it...

Quantum Leap- although they did manage to have a great final episode.

Battlestar Galactica- what were they thinking when they replaced it with Galactica 1980?

billfremore
08-01-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by wedgeA
Battlestar Galactica- what were they thinking when they replaced it with Galactica 1980?

Yeah but ya gotta admit, those white uni's were pretty cool :D

Mandalorian Candidat
08-01-2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by wedgeA
Twin Peaks- One of my favorite shows ever.

Twin Peaks ran its natural course. It was only designed to be a show that would run one or two seasons, not indefinitely.

I forgot about Family Guy and didn't even know about Futurama's fate. I stopped watching both once my kids got older because I didn't want them watching the shows. They were both definitely for adults (the Simpsons also) and not for the younger set. It bugged me that Fox would put these shows so early in the evening before kids go to bed. Late night would have been a better time slot for both.

I hope they both make a comeback. Perhaps on Comedy Central, E!, or Cartoon Network during Adult Swim.

anarky
08-01-2002, 02:55 PM
batman beyond was cancelled? that makes me sad

for all the canned animation on fox you're all mentioning, you've all neglected jon lovitz in the critic

Jonna
08-01-2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by anarky
batman beyond was cancelled? that makes me sad

for all the canned animation on fox you're all mentioning, you've all neglected jon lovitz in the critic

Ha! The Critic had one of the best lines ever. It is when Orison Wells is doing a canned veggie commercial and he says, "They're filled with wholesum goodness and green pea-ness."

Mandalorian Candidat
08-01-2002, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by anarky

That's because it stinks. :)

JetsAndHeels
08-01-2002, 03:35 PM
Shows I like that got cancelled:
Lois and Clark: The new adventures of Superman
Undeclared
Jackass (love it still)

darthvyn
08-01-2002, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Jonna

Ha! The Critic had one of the best lines ever. It is when Orison Wells is doing a canned veggie commercial and he says, "They're filled with wholesum goodness and green pea-ness."

ooh.... YES! they're even BETTER when you're DEAD... the critic was incredible!!! definitely a show that failed because it was too smart...

speaking of orson welles... what about PINKY and the BRAIN??? that was a REALLY funny show, and the show that it's a spin-off of was awesome, as well...

HELLOOO NURSE!!!

also, FREAKAZOID was completely insane!!! i loved that show. still trying to win an auction of the entire series on eBay...

Originally posted by JangoFett96
Jackass (love it still)

can't wait for the MOVIE!!!! i'm wearing my jackass t-shirt right now. it's got the logo in sparkly gray on the front (the skull and crutches) and the name on the back all on a black shirt. it ROCKS!!!

Jonna
08-01-2002, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by darthvyn

also, FREAKAZOID was completely insane!!! i loved that show. still trying to win an auction of the entire series on eBay...
I like Foamy! *Stretches arms strait out and lowers head.* Whuuuuuuuuuuuuuuusssssssssssssssshhhhhhhh!:crazed: :crazed:

El Chuxter
08-01-2002, 03:42 PM
Critic, Freakazoid, Tiny Toons Adventures, and Animaniacs! I plum forgot all those!

Remember when Jay Sherman from the Critic guest starred on the Simpsons and ran afoul of Rainier Wolfcastle? "Upon closer inspection, I see that these are loafers."

It's just impossible to remember all the zaniness of Freakazoid. Does anyone remember the episode where he's transporting all his villains by plane and they crash on an island like Dr Moreau's and have to be rescued by Henry Kissinger? Classic!

darthvyn
08-01-2002, 03:42 PM
now it's time for... RELAXOVISION....

JetsAndHeels
08-01-2002, 03:51 PM
Darthvyn, I have that exact same shirt. Freaky.
You didnt happen to tape a bunch of the episodes did you? I have about 4 tapes worth that I have compiled.

thespar
08-01-2002, 03:59 PM
yes all the show so far where pulled before there time. Another one in was of fox "wisdom" if you call it wisdom callecing it was dark angle. if you ask me fox just does not know how to treat is shows pulling them off to show movies or replacing them with re-runs fo boges show. the way fox they should just put the simson on every night. not that i mine the shwo but man the show whenover they can.

darthvyn
08-01-2002, 04:00 PM
Darthvyn, I have that exact same shirt. Freaky.
You didnt happen to tape a bunch of the episodes did you? I have about 4 tapes worth that I have compiled.

ROCK!!!

nah, but i got a bunch of episodes off morpheus... they're each about 100 megs... i have the one where brad pitt is hanging out with them, the one where i think party boy takes a dive off of a unicycle into raw sewage, the one where steve-o gets completely waxed, then does stilt diving... and a couple of other ones... they're awesome!

speaking of "ROCK" i wish "sifl & olly" was still on. it was just really chill, insanely funny, and had chester on it!

i like pie!

JetsAndHeels
08-01-2002, 04:06 PM
Dude, Steve-o is completely insane!! Did you see where he got his butt pierced?? Him and Knoxville made the show!!
My favorite one Knoxville did was when he had his buddy in a coffin and he drove a hearse (sp) around town, then getting the hearse to fall out of the back causing the coffin to open and showing the guy in there. Those people thought it was a real dead person!!
The reactions of the people is what makes me laugh more than anything. It's a total riot.

MikeAndTheBots
08-01-2002, 04:15 PM
Man I totally forgot about the critic and freakazoid.

darthvyn
08-01-2002, 04:18 PM
did you know that steve-o is a professionally trained harlequin? he went to ringling bros. college...

did you ever see him do a shot of tequila? he snorts the salt, does the shot, then squirts the lemon in his eye. there's vids of him doing that on opie & anthony somewhere... he does a lot of other crazy stuff with them, too.

the hearse thing was the first episode i had ever seen!!! that's when i was hooked. aw, man that show is a riot. i hope they put it out on dvd...

stormie
08-01-2002, 04:21 PM
We're Animaniacs!
We have pay-or-play contracts.
We're zany to the max
There's baloney in our slacks.
We're Animanie,
Totally insaney,
*insert rhyming verse-My favorite of which was Spaghetti Stainy
Animaniacs!

*Also:
The rain in Spainy
Citizen Kaney
Dana Delaney
Frasier Craney

and others :D

JetsAndHeels
08-01-2002, 04:22 PM
When is the movie coming out??

JediTricks
08-01-2002, 04:24 PM
good topic Scruff, with the current management at Fox, I unfortunately have a lot of ammo for this thread.

Icatch, I remember Earth 2 (NBC). I figure that with the future-flashing eps from the 2nd season, we kinda found out that things with the kid who psychicly spoke to the natives saved the group and helped start the permanent colony.

Chux, Space Ghost C2C was on until last month, then they cut it for no reason at all. :( I think The Brak Show is ok, but it's no SGc2c or even Cartoon Planet. Oh, and animation didn't put Fox on the map, Married... With Children did. Sadly, Fox gave this show no respect and didn't even let them have a final episode or cast party.

Futurama
Family Guy
Married... With Children
Now and Again (I only caught this little gem in second-runs on SFC, who cancelled the freakin second-runs before finishing them!!! Idiots at SFC!)
Crusade (TNT sucks too, they ruined B5 and then this show)
The Invisible Man (SFC was doing WELL in the ratings with this show and canned it anyway... yeesh)
The Chronicle (same exact thing as previous)
The Secret Adventures of Jules Verne (another SFC show that didn't get enough life, but I don't think it was an SFC original)
Dark Angel
Knight Rider (ok, so RC3 sucked and Super-Pursuit Mode was used way too often, but the last season was still fun!)
The Flash
Automan
Herman's Head
Mystery Science Theater 3000 (though not the way it was heading on SFC, Pearl and Brain-Guy and Bobo and new Crow were the wrong direction for that show IMO)
Sports Night (it was just getting interesting again too)
Special Unit 2
Titus (they just aired 2 new eps on monday, so I'm not even 100% sure it's cancelled... heh, just saw billfremore's comment, oh well ;))
The Lone Gunman (what a waste, so funny and original and interesting)
The Tick (like Chux said, both versions!)
Cartoon Planet ("Hi my name is BRAAAAAK!!!" Dang I wish this show was still on)
Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman (but not where the baby stuff left off at the end)
Freakazoid (I think Pinky & The Brain ran its course, and adding Elmira was a huge mistake; but Dexter Douglas never got enough airplay, the Freak should live again!)
sifl & olly
The State
Star Trek (let's face it, NBC really dropped the ball there. I'm still in shock that they wanted "Enterprise"!)

I watch too much TV. :D

Rogue II
08-01-2002, 04:25 PM
I remember a show on MTV called Liquid Television. It was where Aeon Flux and Beavis and Butthead got thier start. Some of the clips were really good. Some made you wonder what the producers were smoking.

El Chuxter
08-01-2002, 04:37 PM
I'd forgotten that Married. . . With Children predated the Simpsons. But if you look it up in the dictionary, the definition is given as "A show that was great in its day but ran its course about four seasons before it finally was canned."

I'd completely forgotten Herman's Head. I loved that show! I noticed Titus vanished around the time that Bernie Mac started, and the formats of those two look remarkably similar. . . .

I know the guy who did Space Ghost's voice on SG:C2C and Cartoon Planet was originally a radio announcer, and I've heard a voice on 101.5 out of San Diego that is clearly the same. So maybe he went back to radio, and without a Space Ghost they couldn't have SG:C2C? I didn't care for the original The Brak Show Starring Brak, but the new one (is it The Brak Show or Leave It To Brak?) is much better. But like you said, no SG:C2C. I really loved the songs on Cartoon Planet, especially the weird videos with all the old B&W footage. (Does anyone know who the crazy-looking woman is during the "I love your Aunt Louise" line in the video for "I Love You Baby"? That's one of the funniest images I've ever seen!)

darthvyn
08-01-2002, 04:37 PM
When is the movie coming out??

october 25... there's a trailer here. i don't know if you've seen it. it looks really funny...

http://jackassthemovie.com/traileronly4.html

Originally posted by JediTricks

Knight Rider (ok, so RC3 sucked and Super-Pursuit Mode was used way too often, but the last season was still fun!)

yeah... whutup!!!! jkr rip...

Mystery Science Theater 3000 (though not the way it was heading on SFC, Pearl and Brain-Guy and Bobo and new Crow were the wrong direction for that show IMO)

true... the original "bad guy" was better, although i think i liked mike nelson more than the original guy... what was his name?

Freakazoid (I think Pinky & The Brain ran its course, and adding Elmira was a huge mistake; but Dexter Douglas never got enough airplay, the Freak should live again!)

this show should be put on dvd... ir maybe just psychically implanted into the brains of EVERYONE ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH!!!

I watch too much TV. :D

admitting you have a problem is the first step to correcting that problem. good job. i'm proud of you.:zzz:

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!:crazed:

JetsAndHeels
08-01-2002, 04:44 PM
Cool. Thanks alot!!
Can't wait to see it.

billfremore
08-01-2002, 04:45 PM
I can't believe they made a jackass movie. :rolleyes:

Jacen Solo
08-01-2002, 04:59 PM
I really liked freaky links, wish fox hadn't canceled it.

Rogue II
08-01-2002, 05:03 PM
I forgot all about The State. That show was pretty funny.

How about Max Headroom? Now that was a great combo of action and comedy.

thespar
08-01-2002, 05:05 PM
man maybe we should take a poll about how many hate the way fox work. put me down for one vote in the hate column

Jacen Solo
08-01-2002, 05:10 PM
me too

DarthBrandon
08-01-2002, 05:23 PM
Some shows that were canceled that I really liked.

Married... With Children ( What the F*** were they thinking? )

Futurama

Family Ties

Dark Angel ( Duh! Hot chick, Great action, Awesome show )

Viper

The Flash

Ned And Stacey

Batman Beyond

Lois and Clark

Seinfeld ( What was Seinfeld thinking? )

darthvyn
08-01-2002, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Rogue II
I forgot all about The State. That show was pretty funny.

How about Max Headroom? Now that was a great combo of action and comedy.

THE STATE!!! yes!!!

what about the kids in the hall? at least comedy central is airing them like, ALL the time... hopefully they can get the rights to the state, too. that would be a great hour of comedy - kith, then the state? i think i'd die...

Lobito
08-01-2002, 06:24 PM
Since i dont watch TV series in a regular basis (i'm always watching movies)...i'll have to remount waaay back in the 80's...Magnum P.I.

JediTricks
08-01-2002, 07:27 PM
I'd forgotten that Married. . . With Children predated the Simpsons. But if you look it up in the dictionary, the definition is given as "A show that was great in its day but ran its course about four seasons before it finally was canned."

I know the guy who did Space Ghost's voice on SG:C2C and Cartoon Planet was originally a radio announcer, and I've heard a voice on 101.5 out of San Diego that is clearly the same. So maybe he went back to radio, and without a Space Ghost they couldn't have SG:C2C? I didn't care for the original The Brak Show Starring Brak, but the new one (is it The Brak Show or Leave It To Brak?) is much better. But like you said, no SG:C2C. I really loved the songs on Cartoon Planet, especially the weird videos with all the old B&W footage. (Does anyone know who the crazy-looking woman is during the "I love your Aunt Louise" line in the video for "I Love You Baby"? That's one of the funniest images I've ever seen!)
Your definition for Married feels an awful lot like my definition for The Simpsons. :D

The guy who does SG's voice on SGC2C and CP is the guy who does the voice of "Dad" on The Brak Show (the gimmick for the first few was that they all had other sitcom names with "Brak" inserted into the title, but it's the same series). I think Cartoon Network just got tired of trying to find guests to be on the aging SGC2C, they aired a LOT of reruns lately (though reruns of SGC2C is still better than new eps of Meet the Marks ;)).

(MST3k) true... the original "bad guy" was better, although i think i liked mike nelson more than the original guy... what was his name?The original bad guys were "Dr Clayton Forrester" (who also voiced the original Crow T. Robot) and "TV's Frank"... actually, there was apparently another baddie I didn't know about who played Tom Servo in the late '80s. The creator and original guy stuck in the SOL was Joel Robinson (played by Joel Hodgson).

Rogue II, good call on Max Headroom, I liked that show too.

brandon, I agree with you on Viper, both the NBC and the syndicated versions should have lived longer (it took a path very similar to Baywatch which started on NBC and didn't make it past 1 season, but headed off to syndication and stayed alive for years); and Ned And Stacey which had great chemistry and a funny cast.

darthvyn, I don't think Kids in the Hall falls under this category because it wasn't cancelled, I think they just quit.

pinoysith
08-01-2002, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by stormie
Sportsnight

I love this show... Comedy Central still plays it, but at 3:30am :(

Beast
08-01-2002, 10:06 PM
The original bad guys were "Dr Clayton Forrester" (who also voiced the original Crow T. Robot) and "TV's Frank"... actually, there was apparently another baddie I didn't know about who played Tom Servo in the late '80s. The creator and original guy stuck in the SOL was Joel Robinson (played by Joel Hodgson).
The other baddie was "Dr. Clayton Forrester's" assistant, "Dr. Larry Erhart". He was played by Josh Weinstein, and was with the show during the original KTMA days, and the 1st Comedy Central season. He left at the start of the 2nd season, when TV's Frank replaced him. Josh Weinsten left and became producer on "America's Funniest Home Videos" and later the producer and a writer on "Freaks & Geeks". I believe he also wrote some Simpsons episodes. :)

Originally posted by pinoysith
I love this show... Comedy Central still plays it, but at 3:30am :(
Good news for you Sports Night fans, it's coming to DVD on 11/5. Instead of just releasing just the first season, they are releasing the whole series in the boxset. It's a 6 disc set, but I don't have a MSRP at the moment. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

darthvader92
08-01-2002, 10:23 PM
Knight Rider

Married with Children

Dukes of Hazzard

A Team

Batman Beyond

Beavis and Butthead

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-01-2002, 10:48 PM
Here are some from way back (okay not way back but about 10 years ago):

Hi Honey I'm Home -- Aired during TGIF night on ABC. A series that mirrored the movie Pleasantville, except the show was a comedy. I was only 11 when it aired but for some reason I liked it.

The Edge -- A Fox comedy show, similar to In Living Color. Starred Wayne Knight and the incredibly annoying Julie Brown. Featured those funny cartoons by the guy that I think was on Monty Python? Can't remember the name but it was a funny show.

A couple of other recent shows:

Freaks and Geeks -- One of the best shows on TV when it aired. Very poignant and nostalgic. Don't understand why NBC cancelled considering the fact that a lot of people complained when it got cancelled.

Card Sharks -- A syndicated gameshow that died this year. Aired on killer stations (UPN) at killer time slots. Retooled the show from the original version, but totally killed it in my opinion. Still, it was a good show but only lasted 3 or 4 months.

Let's Bowl -- A Comedy Central show that was the ultimate cheesy tacky gameshow. It wasn't about bowling in this game, it was about the banter between the announcers and the zany rules such as the "airhorn in the ear" while someone was about to bowl. I thought I heard all new episodes were going to air but I saw only one and the show hasn't aired since. ) :

Oh and how can I forget "The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo?"

JediTricks
08-02-2002, 12:57 AM
Newsradio, there's another one I forgot to put on my list! Even after Phil Hartman was murdered, I thought the show could have gone on if not for the poor writing of the last season and the poor casting choice of Jon Lovitz as Hartman's replacement. I so very much wanted Patrick Warburton (Puddy, The Tick, Agent T, Johnny Johnson) to be the new newscaster on the show, Lovitz is funny but not in the way that this show worked, it messed up the timing too much IMO. I can't believe A&E gets 2 reruns back to back a day out of this short-lived show.

Beavis & Butt-head are also on my list. I thought Mike Judge should have at least done more B&B specials.

Daria would definitely be on my list too, MTV wronged that series in so many ways.

Another one would be "The Strip" on UPN, that was a cool show. Starred Sean Patrick Flanery (young Indy chronicles) as a private detective in Vegas working for a casino boss.

Let's Bowl, one of the funniest gameshows ever, I loved how it crossed The People's Court with bowling. LBC is so right there, the announcers' banter and short clips were what made this show fantastic. I'm not 100% sure it's canned, could be back for next season... Comedy Central is kinda lame in the scheduling dept.

rynobot
08-02-2002, 01:46 AM
I'd have to say Newsradio is the only "show" that I wish was still on, but yeah Phil's death kinda killed the show because he was the best part of it. How long was it actually on TV? I just found the show a couple weeks ago and I love it.

My favorite show on TV though is "OZ" on HBO, it is going to have its last season this winter and I'll be said to see it leave. IMO its hella of a lot better the Sapronos. I hope they come out with DVDs for all the seasons because Season 1's DVD set was awsome.

I don't count cartoons as shows so I won't count them.

QLD
08-02-2002, 01:49 AM
Daria was an excellent show. I liked it a lot. I also miss Beavis and Butthead.

And definately MST3K

JediTricks
08-02-2002, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by rynobot
I'd have to say Newsradio is the only "show" that I wish was still on, but yeah Phil's death kinda killed the show because he was the best part of it. How long was it actually on TV? I just found the show a couple weeks ago and I love it.I think they could have pulled off the show without him if they hadn't depended on Lovitz to "replace" him. It was a good ensemble cast until Lovitz joined IMO (especially since Lovitz had guest-starred as 2 different characters in previous seasons). I think it was on for 4 seasons, 5 years.

2-1B
08-02-2002, 02:41 AM
I'm pretty ticked that Dennis Miller Live has been cancelled. :mad:

If HBO has any sense of justice, they'll ship Arli$$ :rolleyes: out the door with it.
It's only fair - if they want to cancel a good show, a bad one (actually, the ratio should require 2 or 3 bad shows) has to go ! :mad:

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
08-02-2002, 03:39 AM
Union Square
Martial Law

And soon to be cancelled...Greg the Bunny.

2-1B
08-02-2002, 04:15 AM
Greg the Bunny is still on?

JT predicted it would get canned, I haven't heard anything about it lately . . .

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
08-02-2002, 04:28 AM
Yup, there's like 1-3 more episodes to run and then its cancelled.

rynobot
08-02-2002, 04:50 AM
Dennis Miller Live has been canceled?!?!!?! God, what is this world coming too!

scruffziller
08-02-2002, 11:23 AM
BAtman Beyond canceled?!!!!!! They better still make the live action movie. Also Beavis and Butthead. King of the Hill has never really been that funny. Don't forget PIG STY!!!!
The Original "IN THE HOUSE" they only showed the pilot. Not the one with LL Cool J (sad that one is gone too). It had a guy that looked like Doug E Doug and he had a white college friend named Collins. Married with Children of course any news on DVD for that? Don't forget In Living Color, Ferris Beuller the series, Bad Boys, also the OBLONGS!!!!

billfremore
08-02-2002, 11:44 AM
I think King of the Hill is underappreciated, I find some of the humour wonderfully subtle.

Say scruffziller, your tagline, got a question.

Why do you hate the women and children? :D ;)

scruffziller
08-02-2002, 12:03 PM
I always have my tagline be associated with my avatar. Think reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal hard for a minute bill, where have I heard that before hmmmmmmmmmmm...............

billfremore
08-02-2002, 12:18 PM
No wait I know...:stupid:

Just the way you have it there just reads like someone who hates women and children.

El Chuxter
08-02-2002, 12:35 PM
JT, I didn't realize Brak's dad was Space Ghost's voice. Innerresssssting.

I completely forgot about the Edge, too! Remember how they died during the opening each week?

King of the Hill is really funny sometimes, but it lost a lot of steam after the first season. And I agree Simpsons should probably either get new writers or go out to pasture.

I finally saw Greg the Bunny for the first time last week, and it's a shame it's going. :(

Who remembers that weird little Fred Savage show Working? I only saw it two or three times, but it was hilarious!

billfremore
08-02-2002, 01:03 PM
I loved Working.
I still can't figure out why they cancelled it.

Rogue II
08-02-2002, 04:18 PM
I'm going to miss "The Man Show" when it goes off the air. Jimmy Kimmel is getting his own show on one of the major networks.

Speaking of Comedy Central. I liked Craig Kilborne much better than Jon Stewart. Once in a while, I try to catch Kilborne's show on TV, but it is on way too late. I guess that's why its the "Late Late Show"

pinoysith
08-02-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

Good news for you Sports Night fans, it's coming to DVD on 11/5. Instead of just releasing just the first season, they are releasing the whole series in the boxset. It's a 6 disc set, but I don't have a MSRP at the moment. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Thanks JJB! I didn't even know that Sportsnight was gonna be released on DVD. Can't wait, baby!!!

JediTricks
08-02-2002, 07:29 PM
I liked Working too, I couldn't believe it actually got a 2nd season.

I thought Ferris Bueller the series wasn't as good as Parker Lewis Can't Lose, which I'm sorry to say is also gone.

I'm really sorry to hear Greg the Bunny is going, but this is SOP for Fox these days so I can't say I'm surprised.

There was a show on NBC last night, "The Rerun Show", that is destined for cancellation since it was actually funny and sorta original and on the peacock network - so it's destined to die a quick, tragic death. The concept is the ensemble cast of the series re-enacts an entire episode of a '70s or '80s sitcom with all the duller parts removed, it's read line for line from what's not cut but they spin it into something funnier - each bit is about 12 minutes and finishes the whole main storyline of that ep. I was dying last night during an "episode" of The Partridge Family when they had guest-star Danny Bonaduce playing Danny Partridge in a red wig walking around on his knees with shoes tied to 'em.

InsaneJediGirl
08-02-2002, 07:34 PM
What happened to Ren and Stimpy?I wake up one morning and do not find them on T.V.!!!!I cant believe Nick replaced them with shows like Sponge Bob Square Pants(That needs to be cancelednow )and Butt Ugly Martians?

Also,Why'd they cancel Rockos Modern Life?He was cool:)'

Finally,we come to MST3K.Great show,I still watch the re-runs.And Dennis Miller..What will I do without your humor?:( :( :( :( :( Stupid HBO

floppy hat jon
08-02-2002, 07:48 PM
Freaks and Geeks was a really funny show. I guess that goes to show you there's no accounting for taste when shows like Full House and Step by Step are on for years but this show gets canned.

Another show that comes to mind was called Against the Grain. I think it was on about 8 or 9 years ago. It was about a high school football coach and his family in Texas. I can't remember who played the dad, but the son - and quarterback - was Ben Affleck pre-fame and his sister was the karate kid's third girlfriend, whatever her name is. It was a really good show but I don't think it made it a full season.

bigbarada
08-02-2002, 10:39 PM
I wish they had never cancelled Star Trek: TNG. If the ratings were sagging I could understand it, but Rick Berman's reasons were a blatant attempt to cash-in on the show's popularity. Then we get it replaced with Deep Space Nine (which was always boring) and Voyager (which sucked the first season, but I've heard it got better in later seasons) and that hopelessly awful Generations movie. Rick Berman is the Rick McCallum of Star Trek.:mad:

I also really miss Ren & Stimpy, what a great show that was. My favorite episodes were "Sven Hoek" and "Stimpy's Fan Club." (not sure if those were the exact titles).

JediTricks
08-03-2002, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
I wish they had never cancelled Star Trek: TNG. If the ratings were sagging I could understand it, but Rick Berman's reasons were a blatant attempt to cash-in on the show's popularity. Then we get it replaced with Deep Space Nine (which was always boring) and Voyager (which sucked the first season, but I've heard it got better in later seasons) and that hopelessly awful Generations movie. Rick Berman is the Rick McCallum of Star Trek.:mad:TNG wasn't cancelled, it ended on purpose. Berman said "seven years is enough" and pulled the plug. DS9 actually ran concurrent with TNG for 3 seasons, I believe, so only Voyager and Enterprise are true "replacements". Generations was the worst, it's my least favorite film in the lot.

And Rick Berman most certainly is the Rick McCallum of Trek, except Lucas ain't dead.

scruffziller
08-03-2002, 09:33 AM
TNG wasn't cancelled, it ended on purpose. Berman said "seven years is enough" and pulled the plug. DS9 actually ran concurrent with TNG for 3 seasons, I believe, so only Voyager and Enterprise are true "replacements". Generations was the worst, it's my least favorite film in the lot.

And Rick Berman most certainly is the Rick McCallum of Trek, except Lucas ain't dead.
Yea for a long time I thought that they were the same person.

Actually King Of THe Hill isn't all that I bad I guess. I like the one show (was like the second eps if I remember correctly) where the Laotian family moves in and Hank is asking him what is his nationality. "uhhhhh..... Are ya Chinese or Japanese?"
"I AM LAOTIAN, I COME FROM LAOS!!!!!!!!!!!" "uhhhh.....are ya Chinese or Japanese?" OR how about dealing with Bobby.

"uhhhhhhh heh heh, Bobby you keep making jokes like that people are going to think you ain't right."

QUOTE]Originally posted by JediTricks

I thought Ferris Bueller the series wasn't as good as Parker Lewis Can't Lose, which I'm sorry to say is also gone.

[/QUOTE]

Yea that was another great show. How about SECOND CHANCE
and BEANS BAXTER!!!! Those were some real good shows.

Lord Malakite
08-03-2002, 11:21 AM

I guess that means we shouldn't ever trust someone going by the name Rick. :D

mabudonicus
08-03-2002, 11:25 AM
First, IJG- what ya got against spongebob?? I think that show is one of the funniest things I've ever seen, I'm gonna buy the tapes when they get cheap.... to me it's what Ren and Stimpy was to everyone else BUT me.....
Terrible thunderlizards and Eeek the cat- REALLY funny stuff..
MST3K, well, that's the show that introduced me to "Danger- Deathray" and "Manos-Hands of Fate" (if you think "Plan 9" is the worst film ever, check THOSE turkeys out, you will change your mind)
Sledge hammer- great show
That's my Bush- MAN was that show funny, in all the wrong ways
Back a bit, The Fall Guy- HILARIOUS- the versatile Lee Majors, playing a stylized, idealized version of what he wanted to be as a kid, too much, on so many levels..
The Mod Squad, also a great show
Project Bluebook- I only watched this when on vacation in the carolinas, back when I was real young, and it scared me SILLY, I always wanted to see it again- if I recall correctly, it was the reason fo my inability to see the Xfiles as anything more than a cheap rip off
Wizards and Warriors- bad acting, but it was a lot of fun- the bad guys "citadel" rocked, lots of huge axe traps etc...
Highwayman- starring "jocko", pretty good road warrior vibe there
Macgyver- RULED!!
Last but not least- "cop rock" What a concept!!!
(oh parker lewis was awesome, and the original Star Trek, too)
PS Does ANYONE recall a show called "The Phoenix"??? Please respond if ya do, it was about this alien Fabio-lookin guy, who had phoenix-like powers, and I LOVED it....

bigbarada
08-03-2002, 12:16 PM
I love SpongeBob too, mabudon. That is the most stupidly hilarious show I've seen in a while.:D Courage the Cowardly Dog is great too.

I seem to remember a show called The Phoenix, but I never watched it.

JT, you're right about DS9, I totally forgot that I watched it while I was stationed in Germany, TNG wasn't cancelled until I got back from Deutschland. It was shortly after Gene Roddenberry died that DS9 showed up, IIRC.

darthvyn
08-03-2002, 12:54 PM
awww, man, not greg the bunny!!! that show is awesome! i love "tardy" the turtle...

that's too bad about dennis miller, too... while i haven't had hbo in a loooooong time, i used to watch that show whenever i could.

anyone know what happened to "andy richter controls the universe"? i thought that show was incredibly funny!!!

InsaneJediGirl
08-03-2002, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by mabudon
First, IJG- what ya got against spongebob?? I think that show is one of the funniest things I've ever seen, I'm gonna buy the tapes when they get cheap.... to me it's what Ren and Stimpy was to everyone else BUT me.....

Well,I watched one episode with my brother.By the time it was done,I had a headache.I just find the characters annoying and stupid.Not in a Ren&Stimpy was..a BAD kind of stupid..Anyways,not dissing anyone who watches the show,I just cant get into it.

JediDan
08-03-2002, 09:57 PM
The 2 shows I miss the most are Macguyver and UPN's The Strip, which took place in Vegas. I can't even find reruns anywhere. :(

stormie
08-04-2002, 12:19 AM
PS Does ANYONE recall a show called "The Phoenix"??? Please respond if ya do, it was about this alien Fabio-lookin guy, who had phoenix-like powers, and I LOVED it....

Yeah! I actually remember this show. It starred that guy who appeared in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan as Khan's second-in-command or something. (this guy: http://www.dragoncon.org/people/scottj.html ) I think the series only lasted like 4 episodes, but it was fun. Thanks for helping me remember the past! :D

jonboy
08-04-2002, 12:58 AM
I miss Quantum Leap. I always thought that it was a good show.

JediTricks
08-04-2002, 01:12 AM
.,,Eeek the cat- REALLY funny stuff
Sledge hammer- great showI thought Eek the Cat was great too, I wish Savage Steve had made more eps before the plug was pulled.

I remember Sledge Hammer, that was a funny show... leads me to:

Police Squad, the show that gave birth to "The Naked Gun". This show was funnier than hell, I only saw it in reruns though.

BB, Gene did indeed die right before DS9 came out, but I think he was still alive when it was first starting concept preproduction - dunno whether he approved or not, but I doubt it. I also dig Spongebob, though I haven't gotten into Courage yet.

awww, man, not greg the bunny!!! that show is awesome! i love "tardy" the turtle...

anyone know what happened to "andy richter controls the universe"? i thought that show was incredibly funny!!! Yeah, Tardy is great, almost every time he gets a line it's a gem. "I not apposed to pay wif fire!" (See, he's "Tardy" because he's late because he's a turtle which means he's slow... heh heh :D)

I think Andy Richter's show actually did get picked up and will air on Fox next season. It was a lot of fun, but IMO needed tightening somewhere that I couldn't put my finger on.

IJG, if the Death Star doesn't care if a planet is M-class or not, why didn't it simply blow up the gas-giant Yavin? :D (yes, I'm one of those ;))

Rogue II
08-04-2002, 01:28 AM
Wow, Sledgehammer. I loved that show. I've seen a few of the Police Squad shows in re-run. They were pretty good.

I don't remember what channel I was watching this week, but Max Headroom was on!

Obi-Don
08-04-2002, 08:45 AM
One I miss was the Others. It started out really good and bang, its gone.

darthvyn
08-04-2002, 09:33 AM
Yeah, Tardy is great, almost every time he gets a line it's a gem. "I not apposed to pay wif fire!" (See, he's "Tardy" because he's late because he's a turtle which means he's slow... heh heh :D)

"drum sticks can also be chicken!"

I think Andy Richter's show actually did get picked up and will air on Fox next season. It was a lot of fun, but IMO needed tightening somewhere that I couldn't put my finger on.

NICE! that makes me happy:D but, yeah, it did need some tweaks, just like any brand new show... i thought it was a lot better than most new shows, however...

mabudonicus
08-04-2002, 12:27 PM
Stormie- I didn't even look at the link, you're right, that severe lookin viking type dude (or maybe dutch) I recall the pilot (Phoenix) where he lands Superman-style in a crater, and walks into this littlle diner, and there's a kid playing "phoenix", and it made the guy have these flashbacks... the music still haunts me..
Ploice squad was really funny, too, love the calssic "act 1, act 2" presentation, like almost all of the Quinn Martin stuff.
Speaking of which- what about "cannon", that show is hilarious, just in how they try to make that HUGE man in that HUGE, BOAT LIKE car appear "sleek" and "dynamic"... I saw a rerun a few eeks ago and it nearly killed me- what a show!!
The original "fugitive" was great, too.....
Oh, and "Room 222" (NOT 227- how come noone's mentioned that:)?) I loved Jayce and his cool wardrobe...

smurfvader
08-04-2002, 07:20 PM
In no particular order... American Gothic, Quantum Leap, Special Unit2, Wolf Lake, Dark Skies, Harsh Realm and V. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

JIm

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-05-2002, 12:02 AM
Remember 'TV Nation' with Michael Moore of Roger and Me fame? It was a very hyped show but was rather short lived. I liked it at the time even though I don't remember much about it now.

Rogue II
08-05-2002, 11:27 AM
Was it anything like That's Incredible with Fran Tarkenton, John Davidson, and Kathy Lee Crosby?

Capitan_Moroni
08-05-2002, 12:40 PM
Does anybody know what happens on the last episode of 3rd Rock from the Sun? I dont really have time to watch the series on fox anymore..

robman71
08-05-2002, 12:42 PM
Space: Above and Beyond - Another great show cancelled by FOX. This show was well written and well acted with the perfect balance between military drama and sci-fi action. Cancelled after its first season it ended in a cliff hanger with one of the main characters dead, 2 missing, one wounded, and two getting ready for battle. What a bummer that was.

Rogue II
08-05-2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by robman71
Space: Above and Beyond - Another great show cancelled by FOX. This show was well written and well acted with the perfect balance between military drama and sci-fi action. Cancelled after its first season it ended in a cliff hanger with one of the main characters dead, 2 missing, one wounded, and two getting ready for battle. What a bummer that was.

Was that the show where they trained everyone as pilots, then they made them do regular infantry duty? The show had some good points, but it had some wierd things. To me, it was a cross between Starship Troopers and Wing Commander.

Grif
08-05-2002, 03:16 PM
I loved Two Guys and a Girl
Norm
Clerks
And Undergrads. MTV took this show of even though it was doing good, they said it did not fit in with their style. And if that was the case then the Real World should be off!
Anyway this show even had a Star Wars collector in it, and they always made Star Wars references.

robman71
08-05-2002, 04:09 PM
Yes that was the show, they even explained why they ended up doing so much infratry duty on one of the episodes (You are Marines, your primary duty is as an infratryman, so quit your whining) I also believe they said something about a shortage of trained officers in the field. Some of the plots seemed far fetched, but overall they did a good job of giving one a sense of being in the military in wartime. You can still catch some reruns of the show on the SciFi channel from time to time. As far as it being a cross between Starship troopers and Wing Commander it did come out in the 95-96 season and may have had some inspriation from the ST books and the Wing Commander games, but IMO this series was far superior to both of those movies.

Huckleberry Josh
08-05-2002, 08:05 PM
Undergrads was a pretty funny show and I wish it was still on. I liked that Bob Patterson show. Lexx was an awesome show and I can't figure out why they took it off. Norm was one of the funniest shows I ever saw. That show ruled!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-06-2002, 12:27 AM
"Norm" was a laugh-out-loud funny show. He shouldn't have been kicked off of SNL and his show shouldn't have been cancelled by ABC.

I also liked "You Don't Know Jack" with Paul Reubens that aired last summer on ABC, based on the hit computer game of the same name. It was a scripted game show in a sense. Reubens played a quirky gameshow host. The contestants and questions were real.

I remember Reubens was obsessed with his "fruit cups," or bits of fruit cocktail in a cup. I also liked the format of the game and the jack attacks. Only a couple episodes aired before it got canned.

haggis
08-06-2002, 12:33 AM
A few come to mind:

THE FLASH
BRISCOE COUNTY JUNIOR
TWIN PEAKS

JediTricks
08-06-2002, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Huckleberry Josh
Undergrads was a pretty funny show and I wish it was still on. I liked that Bob Patterson show. Lexx was an awesome show and I can't figure out why they took it off. Norm was one of the funniest shows I ever saw. That show ruled!

Norm was very funny, I was sorry to see it cancelled. Then again, I thought Nikki had great writing and an attractive star, yet it was recently cancelled too.

I thought once Lexx got to the Dark universe, specifically Fire & Water, the show lost all its real charm. The stuff on Earth was ok, but the show was destined to end after that season IMO, the writers just couldn't come up with anything really fresh. I guess since it had an actual ending, it wasn't "cancelled", though I think Sci Fi Channel actually had paid for one more season which they didn't want to air.

I think Sliders shouldn't have been cancelled... twice no less! The 2nd time, it was actually doing really good ratings, but SFC had already spent the money.

Haggis, I forgot all about Briscoe County Jr but that show should still be on! Darn Fox again!

billfremore
08-06-2002, 02:17 PM
Briscoe County Jr.?

My god I had forgotten all about that.
If anybody should be on TV weekly it's Bruce Campbell.
Unfortunately the show's premise kinda limited the writers for the show and it just seemed to lose direction as it went on.

Ironically enough when this show was coming out, FOX did a huge marketing campaign for it and did minimal promotion for all of their other new fall shows including one about a couple of FBI agents chasing after aliens. :D

mabudonicus
08-06-2002, 11:00 PM
Yeah, haggis, I forgot The Flash... I don't much like DC comics, but that show was REALLY well done, to be sure.....

mrmiller
08-09-2002, 10:08 AM
Dark Angel and Titus. Oh how FOX sucks to can 2 of the best shows on TV.

There are petitions to save both series, but it may be too late.

BTW- There is about an entire series of Futurama still to be shown. Rumor has it that if the ratings sore, it will be picked back up. It's not offically canceled, just has not been renewed or "picked-up" by FOX.

=MATT=

scruffziller
08-09-2002, 02:22 PM
How about Baywatch Nights. How did Hasselhoff stay up 24 hours a day. Lifeguard by day, Ghostbuster by night. That was a great new paranormal show. Way better than X-Files ever was.
Don't forget The Untouchables!!! My roommate and I used to stay up till 5 AM watching that on FOX smoking cigars.

Originally posted by jonboy
I miss Quantum Leap. I always thought that it was a good show.

I like how they are adding a Quantum Leap-esque theme to these last and next episodes of Enterprise.

billfremore
08-09-2002, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
How about Baywatch Nights. How did Hasselhoff stay up 24 hours a day. Lifeguard by day, Ghostbuster by night. That was a great new paranormal show. Way better than X-Files ever was.

Sorry man but we don't allow drinking while posting.
Please put down the margarita. :D

I think what you wanted to say was Baywatch nights really blew chunks... and chunks didn't like it very much. :eek: ;)

scruffziller
08-09-2002, 02:30 PM
Nope just had dental work done and that reminded me how great Baywatch Nights was.

billfremore
08-09-2002, 02:33 PM
Ahh, now I see.
You forgot to turn on the Sarcasm lock key on your keyboard before you started typing. :D

JediTricks
08-09-2002, 08:39 PM
I just dug up this old chestnut of mine: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=87558#post87558

Fox amazes me, they're surprised that they're losing loyal audiences left and right even though they're juggling their schedule constantly and they are known for axing new series that don't immediately take off even if they have promise. Fox doesn't show its viewers loyalty yet expects it in return? That's insanity. Dark Angel and Greg the Bunny had tapped their core audiences and were building loyalty, guess what, they're both off the fall lineup. It's easy to hate Fox, they have forgotten how they were built on the shoulders of shows like Married With Children.
And I had forgotten to mention that Fox also blocks other networks from buying series that have gotten the ol' Fox-axe AND they have been accused of making illegal low-ball syndication deals with the FX network which screws actors and producers out of earned royalties.

scruffziller
08-10-2002, 08:35 AM
EEEAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!!!!!!! So that's how they do it.

mabudonicus
08-10-2002, 09:44 AM
I just have to step in and defend baywatch nights.... for fans of the original (and i loved it, mitch was better than superman, and the montages can't be beat) it ruled..... the best part was how mitch never believed in the supernatural, despite facing really bad special effects (denoting the pescence of the "otherworldly") every single episode... ah that show killled me every time.....
Hey, freeomre, you should know this- what was that show with the space garbage men??? I knew it but can't recall offhand, I watched it when I was very young.....
Oh, and BTW- Ultraman Tiga is coming on this fall up here!!! YAY!!!!

Jargo
08-10-2002, 09:55 AM
Space 1999. I wish they'd let it run until 1999 just to see the smug smile on their self satisfied science mumbo jumbo murttering faces drop like a lead balloon.

I love the cheesey music and the cheesey costumes and sets. The soft focus they put on Maria schell and Barbara Bain. The sex god attitude of the male staff and the phallic shaped eagles. The re-use of shots over and over and over and over in different episodes or just the same episode. The fact that nothing actually happened that was at all exciting apart from seeing how tight the costumes fitted around the actors bodies. Counting how many times in one episode Martin Landau stared into the middle distance for no reason with a frown on his face.

Guessing what creature Mia would turn into next. Laughing so hard it hurts when she turned into a bad rubber suited monster. Laughing out loud so much it took me to hospital for a hernia operation when they were attacked by soap suds!!!! :D

TylerD
08-13-2002, 02:19 AM
I was really upset when Ally McBeal was cancelled....It was one of my favorite shows. I also like American Embassy which only had 3 epsodes on Fox...then it was canned after the "test run."

scruffziller
08-14-2002, 10:03 AM
Don't forget MISFITS OF SCIENCE that was a great show!!!!!
Don't remember if they canceled(or ended it) it but AIRWOLF!!!!!!!
Also the GREATEST AMERICAN HERO!!!!!!! "I'M WALKING ON AIR!!!!:D

Bobajames
08-14-2002, 11:01 PM
i didn't even read them all but im going to have to say
mystery science theater 3000
beavis and butthead(stupid but i love it)
seinfeld (hey i liked it)
REN AND STIMPY!!!!

SWAFMAN
08-16-2002, 04:53 PM
I didn't really like it that much, but....
USA Network is reviving "The Bionic Woman" (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=91&ncid=91&e=1&u=/bpihw/20020816/en_bpihw/_bionic_woman__rebuilt_for_usa_with_team_todd)

so, who would you cast as a modern-day Jamie Sommers?

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
08-17-2002, 03:52 AM
Futurama is "supposedly" cancelled!

Read here:
http://www.gotfuturama.com/cancelled/

AdmiralPiett
08-18-2002, 07:04 AM
Everyone forgot Politically Incorrect with Bill Maher. How could they just shaft him like that?
Piett

Rogue II
08-18-2002, 07:19 AM
I couldn't stand Bill Maher. I'm glad he got canned.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-01-2008, 10:29 PM
I couldn't stand Bill Maher. I'm glad he got canned.

Ha! Maher has the last laugh as his show airs weekly on HBO. :p

JEDIpartner
06-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Freaks & Geeks and Wonderfalls. The first one was so real and true-to-life in so many ways and I remember growing up in that period well. They got the music the clothing and the whole vibe right. I'm glad I have it on DVD!

The second one was so quirky and strange. It was also smart and brilliantly crafted by some of Joss Whedon's underlings. Also glad that I have this on DVD.

Both shows were too smart for the average viewer, which is sad.

Blue2th
06-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Enterprise
Firefly
Blade

LTBasker
06-02-2008, 07:13 PM
Stargate SG-1 and Raines are the only two shows that come to mind, there are a lot of shows I like that have been canceled, but I only learned of them awhile after their cancelation. SG-1's cancelation was rather cruel, as it wasn't even an official cancelation, Sci-Fi just decided not to order any further seasons. The SG-1 crew were actually ready to wrap up everything with the finale of season 8, but Sci-Fi decided to keep them on just to have a bipolar moment and not order a season 11 despite the major story arc going on. This left them scrambling to change season 10 into attempting to wrap up as much as they could, and the rest they could focus on in a direct-to-DVD movie.

Raines was a show based on a character played by Jeff Goldblum named (Detective) Michael Raines. He used a unique way to solve the cases he works on by the victim manifesting in his mind as someone only he can see (against his will, actually). He can talk to the victim, but obviously the victim is limited to having only the knowledge that Raines has of the case, this also includes the victim's personality which changes as Raines find out more about the person. It also starred the awesome and insanly beautiful Linda Park, previously known as Hoshi Sato on Enterprise.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Dead Like Me

A Showtime show that's premise was that dead folks, were allowed to wander the Earth so far as they had to have their identities changed and whose job on Earth was to seek out and be present at the death of (and often comfort) those who had recently departed. Many of the souls they harvested were comical souls, some heart-wrenching and undeserved, but all a pleasure to watch.

Arrested Development

The most critically acclaimed show on television at its time, mass audiences laughed weekly at the Bluth family's series of misfortunes, but apparently executives at Fox weren't happy as the series never lasted three full seasons. A rumored movie may be in the planning stages.

plasticfetish
06-02-2008, 09:53 PM
I sort of miss Manimal.

Lord Malakite
06-02-2008, 11:25 PM
These are probably the big three that come to mind for me.

Friday the 13th: The Series
Deadly Games
Brimstone

I would of probably also said Stargate SG-1 like LT stated had they not gotten the two "direct to DVD" movies to tie up the Ori and Baal storylines of the show.

El Chuxter
06-02-2008, 11:41 PM
Wow, six years ago we were all complaining Simpsons had jumped the shark....

I have to add Deadwood and Arrested Development. Two of the best shows EVER.

Also X-Men Evolution and the DCAU as a whole.

RUSHBOY
06-03-2008, 12:18 AM
automan
land of the lost (miss them sleestaks)
the smurfs
groovie goolies ( I needed that!! )
:thumbsup:

Tycho
06-03-2008, 12:39 AM
The A-Team
Knight Rider
Miami Vice
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Star Trek: The Next Generation
Star Trek: Enterprise
Star Trek: Voyager
Star Trek: TOS
The Highway Men
Voltron
Transformers (Generation 1 cartoon)
GI Joe (original cartoon)
Over There
Blade: The Series
Werewolf
Family Ties
The Cosby Show
Night Court
Cheers
Smallville
The Shield
The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones

RUSHBOY
06-03-2008, 12:56 AM
Battle of the planets
Robotech (macross saga) will they ever make a movie of this ?
M.A.S.K.
Bionic Six
Batman tv series (with Adam West) still waiting for the DVD's
:whip:

LTBasker
06-03-2008, 07:14 AM
I would of probably also said Stargate SG-1 like LT stated had they not gotten the two "direct to DVD" movies to tie up the Ori and Baal storylines of the show.

It's not enough! Weekly doses are needed! Atlantis is fun and all, but I need Teal'c funnies, and Carter jubblies! It's not enough... never enough... never enough...

Blue2th
06-03-2008, 09:33 AM
Buck Rogers
Roughnecks (Starship Troopers Chronicles)
Jonny Quest
Hurculoids
Reboot

vader121
06-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Tour Of Duty
Seinfeld
Cheers
Night Court
Amazing Stories
Black Sheep
*Arrested Development

Lord Malakite
06-03-2008, 12:48 PM
It's not enough! Weekly doses are needed! Atlantis is fun and all, but I need Teal'c funnies, and Carter jubblies! It's not enough... never enough... never enough...
Yeah, I can agree with that. But I could also say the same thing of characters from shows that did get a proper send off and weren't just simply canceled with either no finale or a last second half-arsed one. The characters of M*A*S*H* would be an example of that for me. For me to include a TV show on a list of "TV shows that I liked but were cancelled" I would not only have to like the show, but I would also have to feel that the cancellation of the show resulted in either no ending or an untimely ending without any real closure to major plots of the show (the show has to leave a feeling that it was "cancelled"). Initially SG-1 fit that bill (thanks to the unfinished Ori story mainly), but the "direct to DVD" movies more or less wrapped up what was needed story wise to feel like a proper send off to the show.

Now you want shows that leave that "cancelled" taste in your mouth, I'd suggest you go with these nail biters.

Sliders
Quantum Leap

JediTricks
06-04-2008, 03:13 AM
Unfortunately, now we can add another one to the list, Fox's short-lived:
Back to You
Easily the best sitcom on the air this last season, and one of the better traditional sitcoms in the decade.

Cheers and Night Court I think ran out of gas and were saved from a humiliating old age.

Ugh, Sliders really got into a mess with that final season too, they should sort that crap out.

Quantum Leap's finale was meant to be a season finale cliffhanger and was hurriedly turned into a series finale, hence its suckitude.

El Chuxter
06-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Quantum Leap's finale felt like it had been originally written as a possible series finale... three seasons earlier. It p***ed me off to no end how it contradicted earlier events.

Namely, the show ends with Sam learning to control his leaps, and telling Al's wife (while he was a POW in Vietnam) that he's alive. Then there's a black screen, and text indicating she never had him declared dead, and they are still happily married.

Only... two seasons earlier, Sam had saved Al's true love (from much earlier in his life) from death. In that episode, Al told him that he could remember how history had been (probably due to his involvement in changing it), but it wasn't that way anymore--he was married to his high school sweetheart and had never been involved with any of the other (many) women in his life.

So how was he happily married to a woman who, according to himself in an earlier episode, he had no longer married in the first place?

Ji'dai
06-04-2008, 05:11 PM
I never missed an ep of that bed-hopping barrister, Single Female Lawyer. Well, except for the last show that was inexplicably interrupted and never shown.

Pardon My Zinger was good for a few laffs every weekday afternoon at 3.

And the creepy, otherworldly tales of The Scary Door kept me awake at night many a time, my stars.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-04-2008, 05:58 PM
I never missed an ep of that bed-hopping barrister, Single Female Lawyer. Well, except for the last show that was inexplicably interrupted and never shown.

Pardon My Zinger was good for a few laffs every weekday afternoon at 3.

And the creepy, otherworldly tales of The Scary Door kept me awake at night many a time, my stars.
Thank God that Everybody Loves Hypnotoad is still on, though.

pegger
06-04-2008, 09:47 PM
That's My Bush!

Man, that show was funny.

Ji'dai
06-05-2008, 02:26 PM
thank God That Everybody Loves Hypnotoad Is Still On, Though.

All Hail The Hypnotoad

Val Da Car
06-05-2008, 04:02 PM
All Hail The Hypnotoad

yes HypnoToad is our Master:yes:

CaptainSolo1138
06-10-2008, 10:28 PM
"Blossom". Now I'm forced to write Mayim Bialik fan fic.

JediTricks
06-11-2008, 04:50 AM
You must have loved her appearance on Curb Your Enthusiasm last year where she played a lesbian.

CaptainSolo1138
06-11-2008, 08:38 AM
You must have loved her appearance on Curb Your Enthusiasm last year where she played a lesbian.
While I didn't find the role a stretch, I did enjoy it. Also, I never miss "The Parkers" and Jenna Von Oy's fine piece.