PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Toy site in 1978



Banky
10-16-2001, 03:52 PM
Not trying to spam but wanted to tell fans of the old toys about this site I found. It's a site that takes place in 1978. They post rumors, news, release dates and more about the vintage Star Wars line. They also talk about the release of the Star Wars sequel, they call it Star Wars II but we all know it is Empire. Check it out! Its pretty cool! And funny in some places. the URL is www.FirstStarWars.8k.com

Bel-Cam Jos
10-16-2001, 06:34 PM
I liked the April Fool's joke this (or last?) year on starwars.com witht the green text and old phrases. That was cool, or groovy. ;)

bigbarada
10-16-2001, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
I liked the April Fool's joke this (or last?) year on starwars.com witht the green text and old phrases. That was cool, or groovy. ;)

Did you vote in the poll as to whether Luke or Han should be Leia's boyfriend? I picked Luke.:D

GNT
10-17-2001, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Did you vote in the poll as to whether Luke or Han should be Leia's boyfriend? I picked Luke.:D

You have one sick mind ;)

JEDIpartner
10-17-2001, 11:54 AM
Hey there Banky!

I hadn't been to that site myself... it's good fun, eh? Thanks for posting it!!! No "spam" taken...

BTW- welcome to the forums!!!

-DEH2

Banky
10-18-2001, 12:52 PM
thanks for the welcome, its fun here so far.
Take a look at the site, they could really sure the hits. They have a lot of plans for the site but want to wait until they can get more to the site.

Banky

Obi-Don
10-28-2001, 07:05 AM
Cool site! Brings back memories[Oops giving away my age]

bigbarada
10-28-2001, 08:45 PM
The site is pretty cool, however one minor quibble: the Tusken Raider wasn't refered to as such (at least in action figure form) until ROTJ. SW and ESB cards listed him as "Sandpeople." Like I said, minor. Oh, and you guys misspelled Stormtrooper in your Released list.

Other than that, great site and a really cool concept!:cool:

GNT
10-29-2001, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
The site is pretty cool, however one minor quibble: the Tusken Raider wasn't refered to as such (at least in action figure form) until ROTJ. SW and ESB cards listed him as "Sandpeople." Like I said, minor. Oh, and you guys misspelled Stormtrooper in your Released list.

and the should have a vinyl cape, but that would be asking for to much now :)

JediCole
11-03-2001, 10:12 AM
I finally had a chance to check out this site at full today. It is a great idea and a lot of fun. It seems that the sites authors have a tendency to fall into the familiar trap of retro history, that of being too contemporary when trying to sound like something out of the past. This is not a complaint, mind you, just an observation. I was 12 when the Early Bird Set was released for Christmas of 1977, and 13 when I got the Cantina Playset. I grew up with the emergence of the entire Star Wars line, so there were a few points where the sentiments expressed seemed too modern, like that of the hope that the X-Wing Luke would have a removeable helmet. We weren't thinking removeable helmets back then.

bigbarada
11-03-2001, 01:55 PM
Yeah, when people try to pretend they are clairvoyant kind of takes all the fun out of the idea. One comment in the forums I read was asking about a Rebel Fleet Trooper action figure and the guy says, "I feel like I have to wait until 1996 for this figure.":rolleyes:

Sith Worm
11-13-2001, 07:32 PM
I wonder if back in the day if people would still gripe about all the things they hate about star wars...

bigbarada
11-14-2001, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Sith Worm
I wonder if back in the day if people would still gripe about all the things they hate about star wars...

I highly doubt it since back then collecting toys and watching sci-fi were still considered primarly childish pursuits. Any adults who collected the toys probably didn't make too much of a fuss about the them because they would almost always be met with the reply, "Aren't you a little old to be playing with toys?"

As for the movies themselves, I don't think too many people took it as seriously as they do today so little discrepencies were generally overlooked or dismissed as too trivial to waste a thought on.

Of course, now that sci-fi is a billion dollar business, expectations rise to, some believe, unachievable levels.

Sith Worm
11-14-2001, 07:33 PM
Good points biggin' I was just making A rude comment because so many people gripe about what they love...

Wolfwood319
11-21-2001, 12:47 AM
Man, to get that descriptive of a review on the HS, I get the feeling like the guys on that site actually had to watch the thing again.

Arrrr.....

GNT
11-23-2001, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
One comment in the forums I read was asking about a Rebel Fleet Trooper action figure and the guy says, "I feel like I have to wait until 1996 for this figure.":rolleyes:

He had the force to forsee it :) I wish I had that power :)