PDA

View Full Version : New York Yanky's Question

Jek Porky 2002
08-01-2002, 03:56 PM
A couple of years ago the company that owns The New York Yanky's bought the English soccer team Manchester United, today I bought the new replica shirt made by Nike, the old shirt used to be made by Umbro, and the sponser across the bottom of the shirt is Vodafone, does this meen that the Yankee's shirts have Nike and Vodafone on them?

Darth Shifty
08-01-2002, 04:29 PM
What's Vodafone?

JON9000
08-01-2002, 04:39 PM
I believe Vodafone is a British company that probably has some sort of commercial connection to the Manchester team. Vodaphone has no operations in the US, so they would never have adverts here. FYI- Major League Baseball jerseys have nothing but the team logo and the manufacturer of the shirt- which I think is Nike.

Lobito
08-01-2002, 05:20 PM
Only soccer jerseys have propaganda...but not the ones that belong to teams in the MLS.

bobafett07728
08-02-2002, 09:02 AM
The Yankees game jerseys are supplied by Russell Athletic (have been since the early-mid nineties), and have a small "R" on the sleeve. Most MLB jerseys have one of two "R"'s on the sleeve, some produced by Russell, while some are produced by Rawlings. There are also a few teams who have uniforms supplied by Majestic, who sport their moutainside logo on the sleeve. This is probobly much more than you wanted/needed to know, but I figured I'd just let it all out anyway.

Vortex
08-02-2002, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Lobito
Only soccer jerseys have propaganda...but not the ones that belong to teams in the MLS.

I wouldn't be too sure. I remember a few years back when the bulk of the teams had mastercard on the back of their jerseys, below the numbers, and something on the left sleve...unless its changed they did have some advertisment.

icatch9
08-02-2002, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by tjovonovich

I wouldn't be too sure. I remember a few years back when the bulk of the teams had mastercard on the back of their jerseys, below the numbers, and something on the left sleve...unless its changed they did have some advertisment.

I'm an avide baseball fan and don't remember any teams haveing a mastercard logo on thier game uniforms. Perhaps on the All Star Uniforms, but I don't think that even happened. It's a big deal that MLB isn't owened by advertisers. They put ads in the parks, on TV, and even during free give a ways, but not now and hopefully not ever will MLB teams have ads on them like the Primier League.

Vortex
08-02-2002, 11:40 AM
Sorry I was talking about the soccer teams in the USA.

I remember DC United having that Mastercard logo on their backs under their numbers

icatch9
08-02-2002, 02:20 PM
Oh, I see. Yes, that may be true. I can't say one way or another about the MLS teams.

Jek Porky 2002
08-02-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by icatch9
not ever will MLB teams have ads on them like the Primier League.

Do you meen the Premier League, as in the top division in English football?

odb
08-02-2002, 03:52 PM
The New York Yankees didn't buy Manchester United. The two of them signed an agreement that allows them to promote each other and sell each others merchandise in their stores. Vodafone is the main shirt sponsor of United, which allows Vodafone to put their name on all United's shirts. Nike is the kit manufacturer and subsequently can plaster their name all over the shirts. Since Man U is a PLC any agreements with it will not be applicable to the Yankees. The same applies to the partner club (Antwerp I think). The Yankees are able to sign deals with whom ever they like in terms of sponsorship.

Jek Porky 2002
08-03-2002, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by Darth Shifty
What's Vodafone?

Vodafone is a mobile phone network, which I thought was the biggest in the world, obviously not, unless thier part of a bigger group that owns different networks around the world.

Rogue II
08-03-2002, 07:09 AM
I just checked, there are no advertisement logos on the Yankee's uniforms. I thought ADIDAS sponsors the Yankees in some way. They have the Adidas logo painted on the wall in Yankee stadium and I remember seeing Adidas commercials featuring the Yankees. Then I found this picture.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/020730/168/1xwzx.html

It looks like the players are wearing both Nike and Adidas shoes.

Jek Porky 2002
08-03-2002, 07:15 AM
Over here our soccer players where different boots from thier kit designer, for example David Beckham who plays for Man Utd(Nike) where's adidas boots or when Rio Ferdinand plays for England (Umbro) he wears Nike boots.