PDA

View Full Version : Can't wait till the Arena set is $7.99

Darth Yambag
08-01-2002, 06:35 PM
2 Crappy sets in one.

What is that in the back. With the exception of the ledge Padme falls from, nothing even resembles the droid factory.

They need to pack exclusive figures (Say random Jedi) to justify 40 bucks on garbage I could make better at home.

:cry: :confused: :frus: :mad: :eek:

Hasbro = :greedy:

Fans = :frus:

hango fett
08-01-2002, 06:40 PM
i think it looks pretty cool! i will get it anyway!!!!!!!!
h.:mad:

Lord Tenebrous
08-01-2002, 06:46 PM
It's more detailed than the Castle Greyskull I had as a kid, and I had so much fun with that. :)

This is an Arena playset for children. Hasbro's done a great job compacting 45 minutes of film into a $40 set, and to brush this off as clearance material is ignoring both the purpose of these toys, and the situation we had with the Episode 1 line.

This is a great winter present for the kids, and, at only $10 more than the DVD, they'll be able to sit down and skip all the 'icky' love story. :p

Darth Yambag
08-01-2002, 08:38 PM
This is crap for the kids too. Remeber, if you will, the Death Star Play Set in the late 70's/start of the 80's. Twenty years ago a much superior "arena/playset" was built. That was great fun.

As for the situation with the E1 line, overproduced or not, we'll find Sebulba's Pod Racer 20 years from now at TRU on mark down. Even with all the negative publicity around the E1 line, few had anything but praise for the Pod Race scene.

The Hanger Duel set from Menace was better built.

And just to show, I am not always bashing hasblah...The deluxe Clone Trooper with removeable helmet is stupendous. Even if you say it's the speeder bike from 80's, it holds up.
In addition, the Gunship looks like a winner.

DarthMaulSithLord
08-01-2002, 09:55 PM
I kinda agree. I was hoping it would be a bit more "sophisticated".

Anyways, i am buying a second as soon as it clearances!!!

:)

DarthBrandon
08-01-2002, 11:26 PM
I will not buy one because I'd rather have two gunships and I'm not that interested in the arena playset.

QLD
08-01-2002, 11:30 PM
I can't believe they didn't make an exact replica of the entire battle arena. What a waste of money. I mean, It's not even remotely to scale. It looks more like a pit than an arena. They better make another one that is PERFECT to scale with the figures, or I will kick someone in the *******.

And they better make a scale death star too!

ARRR!!!

Beast
08-01-2002, 11:33 PM
Don't forget the scale Star Destroyer and Super Star Destroyer also QLD. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
08-01-2002, 11:35 PM
See, JAR JAR IS RIGHT!!!!!!!

ALL VEHICLES SHOULD BE TO SCALE. IF NOT I WILL QUIT COLLECTING BECAUSE I AM SO FRUSTRATED!

ARRRRRR!!!!!!!!

plo koon 200
08-01-2002, 11:44 PM
I think the Arean playset is great. I can't believe you guys are putting it down. Tell me exactly how many kids can shell out enough dough for a scale playset. For the cost it is great and I highly doubt it will ever see clearence.

QLD
08-01-2002, 11:45 PM
WHO CARES ABOUT THE KIDS!!!!!!!!!!!

NO KIDS HAVE PLAYED WITH TOYS SINCE 1987!!!!!!!

THEY ONLY PLAY WITH THEM NEW FANGLED NINTENDER THINGIES!!!!!!!!!!

I MUST HAVE SCALE PLAYSETS!!!!!!!!

NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

plo koon 200
08-01-2002, 11:56 PM
I disagree. Everytime I go to the store I have seen ten times more kids buying Star Wars product than I have seen Collectors at the store. I think that kids are really getting into the toys now and it is important that they have fun with the toys that come out or else Hasbro cannot produce any more stuff. Us collectors are truly just a small majority of the toy buying population when it comes to Star Wars.

Sean the Hutt
08-01-2002, 11:57 PM
I saw it today at comic con....ahh wll its ok as long as you have a lot of figures to distract you from that brown pallette all around granted it was no paradise in the movie,so as a back drop it works...as a true to life replica well no. I will still buy it. trust me Hasbro would rather not make any play sets at all so we are lucky to get anything somewhat cool! I hope they make up for it with a cool Death Star! We know it's coming so make it uber deluxe Hasbro!

2-1B
08-02-2002, 12:59 AM
Lord Tenebrous, who is going to pay $30 for the DVD ? :D

QLD
08-02-2002, 12:59 AM
NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

IT IS A FACT, I ASKED GEORGE LUCAS, HE SAID THAT NO KID HAS BOUGHT A SINGLE STAR WARS FIGURE SINCE 1983!!!!!!!

And no kid has bought a toy at all since 1987.

So make the toys I want, Or be crucified!

Beast
08-02-2002, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
Lord Tenebrous, who is going to pay $30 for the DVD ? :D
Anyone that's foolish enough to wait and buy it a week after release at mall DVD stores like Suncoast that charge full MSRP. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

rynobot
08-02-2002, 01:11 AM
I'm sure WalMart will have the AOTC DVD on there $7.99 rack.:)

Beast
08-02-2002, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by rynobot
I'm sure WalMart will have the AOTC DVD on there $7.99 rack.:)
Judging by Episode 1, I am going to say that I bet we see prices around 17.99-19.99 at most places on release day. Maybe less if Best Buy decides to make it a loss leader like they did E1. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lord Tenebrous
08-02-2002, 01:26 AM
The higher price is punishment for not breaking $400 million. :p

But seriously, I generally write the most you can pay for something. Nobody's disappointed when you have to pay a lower price. ;)

JediTricks
08-02-2002, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
It looks more like a pit than an arena.Funny, I thought it looked more like a wall.

The "Castle Grayskull" reference is exactly how I feel about this thing, not a heck of a lot actually going on in the playset itself beyond some lightly-sculpted details molded on both sides and a big door. Then again, I did actually OWN Grayskul as a kid so there ya go.

QLD
08-02-2002, 02:23 AM
I had a Castle Greyskull too, my G.I. Joes made much better use of it than He Man figs. Though I lost interest in He Man Figures (not th cartoon) extremely quickly

icatch9
08-02-2002, 09:20 AM
Ever hear of cutting off your nose to spite your face? This is what I feel this thread is asking for. Scale playsets? Come on...that's never going to happen. Don't you realize how expensive that would be??? The non-scale areana is $40 and you want a scale one. God the price would be $100. No one would buy it. I'm sure a lot of you are sitting back and saying "We'll if it look good and exactly like the movie, I wouldn't care how much it costs." Yea, right. People would complain that it costs so much for just a big hunk of plastic. Same with the Death Star. I agree this would be awsome, but to scale? Come on, again. It would be way to much money and no one could buy it.

QLD, I don't know if your kidding or not, but children do buy toys. A boat load of toys. Kids keep these things a float. I'm sure you don't believe me, and most people just don't get it. Two things you have to ask yourself. How many times have I seen a comercial for Star Wars toys during the news? And. How many of my co-workers buy toys for themselves? The answer for most of us to both of the questions is zero, none, never.

It's like you can't see the forest becasue all the trees are in the way.

I don't mean any disrespect or any ill-will, but we collectors have to realize that we collect toys that are made and marketed for children. We are just gravy to Hasbro. Nice if you can get it, but you don't have to have it to eat the meal.

JEDIpartner
08-02-2002, 09:49 AM
I perfectly happy to NOT get this... since I have no use for it-- HOWEVER, I really think that this is a step up from the paltry offerings of the E1 "playsets". The fact that you can just get this or connect your deluxe figure bases into this is quite well done. I haven't read the entire thread, but I'm just gathering from icatch9's post that people are wanting MORE. Haven't we stated over and over that kids need to use their imagination a little more? We used to take the most spartan pieces and imagine they were these great worlds. For as "bare bones" as this may seem, I think it is pretty nice... I have probably been guilty of knocking that cardboard backdrop, but then I have to recall the walls of the vintage Death Star playset were cardboard, too. Just remember... these are toys for kids and not dioramas. They also aren't movie props. Take them for what they are and be thankful they bothered.

billfremore
08-02-2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by icatch9
God the price would be $100. No one would buy it

Hey, some of us yahoos paid $150 for the royal starship. :D

$100 would be a nice price break.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-02-2002, 11:43 AM
I think the arena playset actually looks pretty good. Of course I'm still not buying it until it goes on clearance. :)

Hasbro should have made the arena pit portion larger though. There's still not enough room to put the Acklay, Reek, and Nexu, along with the three prisoners at the same time. Oh well, I guess they'll have to tag team and go at it one at a time.

Jayspawn
08-02-2002, 11:52 AM
I have to admit the Arena playset is not as good as I was hoping it to be. I may wait till it clearences before buying it. This may pursuade me to buy an extra Rebublic Gunship.

QLD
08-02-2002, 11:52 AM
Actully, if it were to scale, I imagine the price would be closer to a thousand dollars.

icatch9
08-02-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by billfremore

Hey, some of us yahoos paid $150 for the royal starship. :D

$100 would be a nice price break.

I'm sorry you paid so much. Why on earth did you pay $150 for it? If you have that kind of money then a more expensive arena play set wouldn't be much to you :). I only paid $35 for my Royal Starship. Still TRU had tons of them for $50 for the longest time. If it makes you feel any better it is the #1 Star Wars toy of all time ;). At least that's what Toy Fair Magazines poll found out.

billfremore
08-02-2002, 01:05 PM
Actually I believe it cost that much because I'm north of the border.

Really? #1 toy of all time.
Hmm...interesting

JEDIpartner
08-02-2002, 02:53 PM
I'd have to agree with it being the #1 toy. It's pretty cool the way it has all of those fun play features. It's too bad we'll never see anything like this again after the big hit they took with clearance sales. :(

thespar
08-02-2002, 03:15 PM
if the arena makes it clearance that when i will pick one. heck that is when i a picked up the royal ship and most of my veichiels i am most interst in the figrues and some of the beast.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-02-2002, 04:15 PM
I remember it being listed in the original news post that both the Arena and Rep. Gunship were supposed to go down to around $17 each after a month. That would be great but I don't see it happening automatically like that. We still see tons of Reeks, JSs, and Slave Is clogging TRU bins and WM shelves and they haven't been clearanced yet.

DarthMaulSithLord
08-02-2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by icatch9
It would be way to much money and no one could buy it.

I could and would.

:D

Hellboy
08-02-2002, 04:44 PM
40 or 17 bucks, who cares how much it is . This will be the definitive playset and no matter what it costs I'll be getting 2. Hasbro probably won't produce enough of these to meet demand since the playsets have a history of selling poorly so a price reduction seems unlikely, at least for a long time, IMO.:D

brentfett
08-02-2002, 05:16 PM
It'll go on clearance at some point. Everything does!

Darth Yambag
08-03-2002, 01:59 PM
When this item is overstocked on Dec 26 it will go on clearence.

It's time for Hasbro to make a Jedi Council Headquarters like the old school Death Star Play Set.

SuperBattleDroid88
08-03-2002, 02:23 PM
So do you guys think it will be overstocked?

Forhekset
08-03-2002, 03:18 PM
Speaking of Castle Grayskull (CG), I dug mine out earlier today and was reminded of how much fun I had with that thing as a kid, and for those of you who don't know what CG was like, it's pretty bare-bones. This Arena playset looks like it will have quite a bit more playability than CG, so I reckon kids will enjoy it. As for collectors, I dunno - stuff like playsets doesn't interest me anymore. Hasbro could make a scale Death Star and give me one for free and I still wouldn't play with it (well, maybe just a little). I just buy figures and display them, and for me, a bookshelf or some Ultarama levels serve that purpose better than a playset.

SBD88, I don't think you'll have too much trouble finding this thing - honestly, what new SW product is "hard to find" aside from a few certain 3.75" figures? Everything else, at least in my area, is still clogging up the aisles like crazy. Vehicles, beasts, unleashed, you name it....

misthunter210
08-03-2002, 09:24 PM
Wait, I like Star Wars and Nintendo! Is that possible.

Well anyway, I think it will sell good anyway because like a few have said on this post they Hasbro wont ship as many. Heck i never had the chance to pick up the Endor and Hoth playsets a few years back; I was 12 so i didnt have any money.:D

Herby
08-04-2002, 11:59 AM
I don't think Hasbro will be allowed to overship it. Shelf space is money to Walmart and TRU and they aren't going to allow some poor selling placeset to take all their space up. That said, I went to my Walmart yesterday, and they had filled every open space w/ Ultimate Jango (at least 3-4 cases of them)!

JEDIpartner
08-05-2002, 01:55 PM
The Target in my area is getting pretty barren and the K-Mart near work IS barren! New STAR WARS toys... please!