PDA

View Full Version : TPM on dvd

JEDIpartner
10-16-2001, 08:29 AM
I, obviously, haven't gotten the DVD as of this posting, but I was wondering who has and what they think of it. My friend ordered it on-line for my birthday for overnight delivery- I believe it was sent out yesterday and scheduled to arrive today.

What's the word out there from those who have already gotten this bad boy in their hands?

Fulit
10-16-2001, 10:28 AM
I don't know, I'm still playing the Lucasarts game demo that Best Buy gave away to the first hundred customers. You couldn't believe all the people from different walks of life that were there to get this this morning. It was like a mini-midnight madness sale, only held at 10. A.M. Quick question, why do stores, when they know there is something everyone is lined up out side waiting to get, open 10 minutes late? Do they do it on purpose? Are they in there laughing? I bet they are.

Rollo Tomassi
10-16-2001, 10:46 AM
I used to work at Best Buy and I guarantee they were doing that. We used to joke all the time as people walked in "Hurry! There's going to be a run on printer ink!" or "Thank god we've got 2000 copies of Episode 1!" Believe me, they ARE doing it on purpose...

AmanaMatt
10-16-2001, 11:14 AM
I don't understand why people do that...I've always tried to be helpful and not a total *** :mad:

Anyways, the Dvd, itself, is great. I am not a huge fan of the movie itself; between Jar Jar and all of the juvenile humor throughout the movie, it's hard at times to watch...

the good: the trailers and the tv spots (I love those tv spots and had only seen a couple when they were on the air - the Maul one is great) ; the deleted scenes are ok with the ones in the podrace that were reincorporated into the movie work very well, IMO. The fx for the completed scenes exclusively for the Dvd are good, not great - the best of the bunch is the 'waterfall' scene, with the worst being the 'at Dawn' one. On a personal note, the shot with the Tusken raider shooting at the Jawas is really funny and should have been left in the final cut!

the great: the doc, 'The Beginning' is fantastic and is more enjoyable than the movie itself - really shows that these are not easy movies to make...the ending showing us, the fans, is a little scary :D

the bad: well, the movie is an awsome transfer, but Lucas left in Jar Jar and all of his lame-arse humor :o

Fulit
10-16-2001, 11:22 AM
They did leave out some really cool stuff. What the hell is wrong with Lucas? Some of this stuff should definitely be in the regular movie.

ki-adi mundi's bro
10-16-2001, 03:36 PM
it is sooooooooooooo cool! the deleted scense are on the 2nd cd, and they are very awsome! we will be haveing a dvd rom instaled (maybe today)...
i'll try to see what is on the secret website!

jawaboy
10-16-2001, 03:41 PM
The making of The Phantom Menace was very cool. Although, the only thing I could think of the entire way through was that Rick McCallum sure does have a potty mouth. Boy he was bleeped a lot.

Starfig873
10-16-2001, 05:05 PM
"The Beginning" featurette was supurb. Seeing all the fans around the country heading into the theaters brought back wonderful memories. Plus seeing Lucas's emotions throughout made me realize things about movie making I never saw before.

This DVD, IMO, does the movie great justice. Very, very, very good. A must have for Star Wars fans, even if you hated TPM, theres plenty to keep you entertained.

avallari
10-16-2001, 07:00 PM
OK ENOUGH ABOUT HOW GOOD THE DVD IS. WHO EVER HAS SEEN THE DVD ROM FEATURE PLEASE FESS UP. Some of us don't have DVD ROMS and would like to know what the straight poop is.

derek
10-16-2001, 07:14 PM
there is nothing there on the web link except a message of "technical difficulties". either it isn't ready yet or we crashed the site!:)

Fulit
10-16-2001, 07:20 PM
I got linked to some web page where it says you can download some special E2 preview or something called "Choices". I'm still waiting on it to download, I'll report back.

It says on the web page:

"From time to time dvd.starwars.com will treat Episode 1 DVD owners with special exclusive previews to next summer's film Star Wars Episode 2 Attack of the Clones."

And it says you might want to come back Nov.9th

LTBasker
10-16-2001, 07:45 PM
Sometimes it can really bite not having a DVD-rom drive on the computer.

Fulit
10-16-2001, 08:11 PM
Not even worth the long download, IMO. Single shots of Mace Windu, a cool one of Jango Fett, and Obi-Wan, Anakin, Padme, and 3PO and R2. That's it.

master jedi
10-16-2001, 08:37 PM
I haven't gotten to the movie yet on the disc yet. I'm too buisy playing around with the extra features.

In my opinion I think Jake Lloyd acted better in the cut scenes.
In the 'The Beginning' documentary the two other kids trying out for Anakin made Jake look like he actually knew how to act.

I thought the outtakes are funny.

Overall I htink the DVD is the best thing since, well, me.

master jedi
10-16-2001, 08:43 PM
I couldn't believe Rick McCallum's mouth. I didn't think he was that kind of guy.

Rollo Tomassi
10-17-2001, 12:09 AM
How does one access the outtakes?

I relly liked how Rick mcCallum and Ewan cuss like sailors during the documentary.

"So they asked me if I wanted to do Star Wars and I said 'Too GONK!ing right!' "

After watching the final three choices for Anakin, I agree with their choice. That little brown haired kid was a weenie and while the other kid seemed more competent, there's something about jake lloyd's eyes that have a hint of Evil in them. Essential for the future Darth Vader.

Well, I'm off to watch G.Lu and co. blab about the movie on the commentary. Wish me luck!

derek
10-17-2001, 12:13 AM
on disc one, go to the options menu, then , depending on your remote, press 10, 1(or try 1,1) enter, 3 enter, 8 enter. then the bloopers should start.

yoda forgeting his lines is the best of them all.:)

derek
10-17-2001, 12:16 AM
my only complaints are the packaging. i wish the dvd had come in a case like the fight club, seven, or unbreakable dvd's. a thick cardboardish mini book.

and i would liked to of seen an un-edited long version with all the cut scenes of the saber battle. i saw a few clips that looked really cool that i don't know why they were cut. like maul back flipping up a level about 30 feet high.

Starfig873
10-17-2001, 06:25 AM
I'm still impressed with Rick's "famous" line: "Dude! This is f***ing awesome!"

Hee hee hee! :D

OC47150
10-17-2001, 09:43 AM
I bought the DVD on the way in to work Tuesday morning. I haven't even gotten to the movie yet. The extras are keeping me busy. The trailers and TV spots (which I don't remember seeing) are great, and I'm watching the Beginning now.

I think other companies may have to look at some of the recent DVD releases (PM, Die Hard, Terminator 2) as the standard from now on.

Fulit
10-17-2001, 10:29 AM
I cannot get these stupid bloopers to work. I go to the options, I press 1,1, enter, 3 enter, 8 enter, and all that happens is the stupid movie starts playing. Why can't they just include stuff as a regular feature? I hate having to press some special crappy code that never works. Anyone know how I can get this to work? I have a +10 button, is that the same as just 10? Do you hit enter after 10? Break it down like you're explaining it to a moron, I can do all sorts of crazy stuff w/ my computer, but I can't ever get these "Easter Eggs" on DVD's to work.

I press +10, and a little 2 digit box appears in the top right of the screen. I press in 11, then enter. Then when I press 3, the whole menu starts up again. This is seriously driving me crazy. Why do they have to make it like this, there is nothing easy about this.

JEDIpartner
10-17-2001, 11:06 AM
I haven't gotten this disc yet, but that is my fear as well... I have a bad feeling that my remote won't be able to access these features. Oh, well... it's always my luck! ...or lack of it!

master jedi
10-17-2001, 11:06 AM
Fulit, press +10 then 1 and then enter.
Then press 3 and enter.
Then press 8 and enter.

~or~

+10 then 1 and then enter
then press 38

~or~

+10 then 1 and then enter
press +10 three times and then press 8.

Fulit
10-17-2001, 11:17 AM
I must be a gonking retard, because I still can't get it to work. I give up. Thanks anyway, though. :)

El Chuxter
10-17-2001, 02:27 PM
To Fulit and everyone else who hasn't accessed the bloopers yet, keep trying. It's well worth the effort.

Also, no one should skip the deleted scenes documentary. The CG bits at the end are hilarious, especially Sebulba racing against a Jawa Sandcrawler. :D

A minor, minor question, though. When Qui-Gon and friends first arrive in Mos Espa, was there always a gang of swoop riders zipping by behind them?

Mandalorian Candidat
10-17-2001, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Fulit
I cannot get these stupid bloopers to work. ...
I press +10, and a little 2 digit box appears in the top right of the screen. I press in 11, then enter. Then when I press 3, the whole menu starts up again. This is seriously driving me crazy. Why do they have to make it like this, there is nothing easy about this.

Hey bud,

I had the same goofy problem with my DVD the first time I tried it. You may want to check the unit instructions because there might be something unique about the model you have.

I have an Apex (?) cheap-o unit, and it seems to have some quirks but I got it to work. I entered the numbers like this:

10+ then 1 (the graphic Channel 1- comes on screen, then changes to Channel 11 once the 1 is pressed)
3 then 8 (once I press 3, the 11 goes away and once I press 8 the three goes away)
The clip starts after that. I didn't press ENTER at all, which is maybe what you need to try too.

The only thing I can't seem to access is the Naboo Menu site. I think that's the one that you are required to press 'Audio' during the Attention screen. When I try it (the button on my control is actually 'Audio Mode") I get the NO sign on the screen and it goes to what ever menu randomly pops up.

Anyways, this DVD is the best of my whole HUGE collection (now totalling 8). The sound kicks, the graphics are great, the menus are fun and interesting. I really can't believe all the crap they crammed onto these disks. I'm really interested in hearing the director comments, although I could care less about Rick "Brown-Nose" McCallum, King of the Syncophants.

Speaking of old Ricky-Dick. Do they bleep out the swear words in the docs at all or do you hear him in all his four-lettered glory? I ask this because I don't want my kids to hear his potty mouth if I play it while they are in the same room.

Fulit
10-17-2001, 04:33 PM
Well, I finally got it to work by pressing +10, 1, then pressing 3 and 8 rapidly until finally it happened accidentally. Sometimes when I hit the three it would just start the options menu back up, boy that's frustrating. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. The bloopers were definitely worth the frustration.:D

Oh, and I'm pretty sure they don't censor it when Ewan says, "They asked me if I wanted to do Star Wars. I said, 'Too f*@kin' right' ". And maybe in a couple of other instances they don't too, I can't remember, I'll have to watch again.

ki-adi mundi's bro
10-17-2001, 07:16 PM
i can't get the bloobers to play!! our controler only has a >10 button! and everytime i push it it has to -- in a blue box at the top and i try to pus 1 then enter and ... but it doesn't work!

bigbarada
10-17-2001, 07:20 PM
Everyone who is having problems should list the make and model of their DVD player so I know which ones to avoid when I go to buy one.:)

master jedi
10-17-2001, 07:21 PM
Ok. I've figured it out.

Type 11 then hit enter.
Type 3 then hit enter.
Type 8 then hit enter.

This should work.

ki-adi mundi's bro
10-17-2001, 07:58 PM
i'll try it in the morn, master jedi

ki-adi mundi's bro
10-18-2001, 06:21 AM
i have tryed every combination in the book and i still can't get them! HELP!

ki-adi mundi's bro
10-18-2001, 08:39 AM
yes! i finaly figured it out! the yoda one is the best one!!!! thanks everyone!

2-1B
05-08-2002, 11:36 PM
Well, it's been 7 months and I think the TPM DVD is still awesome! I've been playing the movie in the background alot lately, sitting down to watch the whole movie once last week. I plan on one more indepth viewing next week before seeing AOTC. I have not yet tired of the documentaries, they're just so much fun to watch multiple times. I really hope they follow the same route with the making of Episode II web documentaries. :)

Darth Nihilus
05-09-2002, 09:15 AM
The TPM DVD is what DVD's were made for, even if the movie wasn't that great the extras are. I even sat through George 'monotone' Lucas' commentary.

And of course the best part - Duuuuuuuude!!!:stupid:

BTW - Is it possible to access the bloopers on a PS2 game controller?

Pendo
05-10-2002, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Darth Nihilus
BTW - Is it possible to access the bloopers on a PS2 game controller?

Yes. Go into the 'Language Selection' or 'Options' on Disk 1(depending on what region you have). Press select and then type in '11', wait for the page to refresh then type in '03', wait again, then type in '08'. The bloopers should then start.

PENDO!

Darth Nihilus
05-11-2002, 09:30 AM
Thanks Pendo - I will definitely try that.

That did the trick, thanks again Pendo.

scruffziller
06-09-2002, 03:42 PM
I noticed a creature while on slow-mo DVD a creature during the run through of the forest on Naboo as Qui-Gonn and Obi stowed away, that looked like a dinosaur but had the head of Ree-Yee's race. ANybody know what I am talking about?

187-Maul
06-10-2002, 02:50 PM
I have no idea scruffziller
I can check it tomorrow or so and look for it
when did you exactly see it? have any specific time?

scruffziller
06-10-2002, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by 187-Maul
I have no idea scruffziller
I can check it tomorrow or so and look for it
when did you exactly see it? have any specific time?
It is at the point where they show Qui Gonn, the front of him, and you see all the tanks behind him knocking down trees just before he runs into Jar Jar. There are a whole bunch of dino creatures running around him.