PDA

View Full Version : Jedi Master Points

brentfett
08-02-2002, 11:58 AM
I think I read somewhere about Hasbro finally offering something in the near future for us to use our Jedi Master Points on. Is this true? Does anybody have any facts or opinions on what the offer might be? They better not want receipts with the points! And I hope they will take old points as well as points from new saga stuff.

Beast
08-02-2002, 12:00 PM
From the San Diego Comic Con Q&A with Hasbro. :)

One guy showed off 4880 Jedi Master points and asked when he would be able to use them. The Star Wars team has been thinking about them ("at least once a day"). There is a possibility of some sort of promotion this fall involving Jedi Master points, possibly connected to the DVD release. Receipts would not be required, if the Jedi Master points were sent in.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

brentfett
08-02-2002, 12:25 PM
Thanks Jar Jar! Man I wish they'd offer a figure. I can still remember in '79 or '80 when I was like 5 years old checking the mailbox everyday for my mail away Boba Fett figure to arrive. Ahh, to the old days!:D

Jonna
08-02-2002, 12:26 PM
Now I wish that I hadn't ditched all those cards from the late 90's.

Deoxyribonucleic
08-02-2002, 12:34 PM
I bet all of us here have so darned many of those things, we could take over the world and use them for money exchange! That's IT...I'm on my way to Fort Knox NOW! Gonna throw all the gold away and put my Star Wars points in the vaults. :)

Hasbro certainly is NO Kenner! I really miss Kenner. I too remember being excited and looking in the mailbox everyday for my mailaway figs and such! Damn Hasbro!!! :rolleyes:

Beast
08-02-2002, 12:37 PM
We did have the Mace Windu mail-away in 1998/1999. People seem to forget that. I know that it was a couple years ago, but seriously it hasn't been that long since Hasbro did one. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
08-02-2002, 12:43 PM
Hasbro is no Kenner AND no Galoob!!! ;)

Hopefully the promo they come up with for the Jedi Points is along the same lines as the Han in Stormtrooper armor was. :cool:

Beast
08-02-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
Hasbro is no Kenner AND no Galoob!!! ;)
Wasn't Galoob the ones that had points on everything, but never did a mail away for anything? ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Deoxyribonucleic
08-02-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
We did have the Mace Windu mail-away in 1998/1999. People seem to forget that. I know that it was a couple years ago, but seriously it hasn't been that long since Hasbro did one. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

A couple of years??? ;) That's 4 BIG YEARS ago! Kenner used to do them all the time! I still have all my boxes from all my mailaway items....from figures (boba fett, 4-lom, Emperor Palpatine, Anakin Skywalker to name a few), to backdrops, to figure stands, to accessory sets, to Hoth die cast armies and MORE! :)

Alas, though, we cannot be greedy and there is nothing in the Constitution that says Hasbro must live up to Kenner and have a certain amount of "mailaways" every year, :) but the point is that it was LOTS OF FUN getting star wars stuff in the mailbox when you were a kid and I think it would still be fun now! However, I guess we can just order stuff on-line and wait for that to come in the mailbox :D hehe.

LTBasker
08-02-2002, 12:48 PM

Wasn't Galoob the ones that had points on everything, but never did a mail away for anything? ;) :D

But then again Galoob didn't make a history of mail-ins, while Kenner did, and Hasbro's tried to keep that up to try to show they're better than Kenner, but they failed and they're not. Hasbro just flat-out destroyed Galoob and you could order straight from them so even though they didn't have mail aways, you could get stuff in the mail from them so you wouldn't have to go to the store. :D

Beast
08-02-2002, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
But then again Galoob didn't make a history of mail-ins, while Kenner did, and Hasbro's tried to keep that up to try to show they're better than Kenner, but they failed and they're not. Hasbro just flat-out destroyed Galoob and you could order straight from them so even though they didn't have mail aways, you could get stuff in the mail from them so you wouldn't have to go to the store. :D
Well, comparing the figures between now and when it was still Kenner (not just vintage), I don't think it's any contest. Hasbro blows Kenner away with detail and obscure charecters. So they don't do as many mail-ins as Kenner used to, but what company does? By the way, you deserve an award for arguing semantics. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Evil
08-02-2002, 02:15 PM
Hopefully, if Hasbro do a mail-in thing, Europe will be included. All those points are still gathering dust...

Darth Shifty
08-02-2002, 04:41 PM

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Do you remember how many points you had to send for the Mace?

InsaneJediGirl
08-02-2002, 06:14 PM
*Bangs her head on the keyboard*

I wish Hasbro would have told me a month eariler,I threw at least 30 away:(Oh well.DVD tie in?Sounds kind of weird to me..

LTBasker
08-02-2002, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by InsaneJediGirl
*Bangs her head on the keyboard*

I wish Hasbro would have told me a month eariler,I threw at least 30 away:(Oh well.DVD tie in?Sounds kind of weird to me..

Just buy a bunch of army-builders. Buy some peg-warming droids and create a "grand army." At least they don't cost a whole lot anymore. :D

Originally posted by Darth Shifty
Do you remember how many points you had to send for the Mace?

IIRC, they didn't measure it by points, it just took 5 UPCs.

Anakin
08-03-2002, 12:26 PM
i read in the updated Q&A that hasbro said "send in the points or have some proof" to ME proof enough should be all of the figures, vehicles, etc. i spent my money on, they better allow people to take pictures of their collections and send it in as "proof" cuz i have quite a bit of stuff and i too threw out all but the latest 15 points

FKA Broke Collector
08-03-2002, 03:31 PM
I can't wait to spend my points on something. In fact I think they should make a cataolg of things you can only get by sending points in. We all have enough to order many things I'm sure. So make it to where we have to dole out points for certain things.

Don't you guys remember when Mace Windu and the POTJ2 poster came out. It made us all go out and buy more figures to open up so we would have enough UPCs to order them. I ordered at least 2 of the Mace and 2 of the poster, so I used plenty of UPCs. The reason they did that was so they could clear out the inventory. Remember how they had to be purchased within a certain date? Seems they forgot this tactic because I thought it worked well to clear out space for new figures. (I'm not saying I like this tactic but it worked in the past.)

They could do it now and clear out the stores for new figures. AND they could have a catalog where you spend certain amounts of points for certain things. More points for bigger items.

jonboy
08-03-2002, 08:47 PM
I just seen on the Official site in the Cargo Bay section that there will be a FanClub Exclusive Nute Gunray and Lott Dodd Hologram figure set in Dec. Maybe that is what the points will be for. Have to wait and see.

Prince Xizor
08-04-2002, 11:35 PM
Any exclusive figure would be good enough for me, or maybe a couple of figures...

Mandalorian Candidat
08-05-2002, 10:13 AM
I wouldn't even mind if they weren't figures but some other kind of figure related accessory, like a bag o'weapons or replacement helmets. How about a case for Jedi Force Files or CommTech chips? Another poster would be good going from EP1 to the present.

Hasbro seems to be balking because they know that so many people are holding on to their Jedi points. They could make the required number for a freebie extremely high so it wouldn't 'bankrupt' them or require receipts to accompany the points so you would have to start collecting within a certain period of time. They could even have multiple ideas for mail aways and have us vote on them like the Fan Club favorites.

These people are supposed to be creative, but it looks like we're the ones coming up with all the ideas.

DarthBrandon
08-05-2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
I wouldn't even mind if they weren't figures but some other kind of figure related accessory, like a bag o'weapons or replacement helmets. How about a case for Jedi Force Files or CommTech chips? Another poster would be good going from EP1 to the present.

Hasbro seems to be balking because they know that so many people are holding on to their Jedi points. They could make the required number for a freebie extremely high so it wouldn't 'bankrupt' them or require receipts to accompany the points so you would have to start collecting within a certain period of time. They could even have multiple ideas for mail aways and have us vote on them like the Fan Club favorites.

These people are supposed to be creative, but it looks like we're the ones coming up with all the ideas.

Yes, I'm starting to feel like they are going to wait a long time to come up with something because of the amount of Jedi points that people have out there. I alone have about 3800 points and many others have way more than that, so I assume it's going to be a long time before anything comes to surface about how we are going to be able to redeem our points.

I would like to see some kind of exclusive action figures or accessory sets that haven't been on the market yet. I hope they get the lead out and finalize something soon.:)

plo koon 200
08-06-2002, 02:05 PM
Whatever they come out with it cannot cost too many points especially if it is a tiein with the DVD because many kids do not have more than 100 point. I alone have about 1000 ppoints from lose product and about 10,000 points from what I have carded and boxed.

Forhekset
08-06-2002, 02:18 PM
I just feel sorry for the poor slobs that are going to have to count all the Jedi Master points once Hasbro comes up with a use for 'em.

thespar
08-06-2002, 02:22 PM
hopeful whatever they come up with will be cool. i like to know if it will be any jedi pionts or just the one form saga.

Prince Xizor
08-06-2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by thespar
hopeful whatever they come up with will be cool. i like to know if it will be any jedi pionts or just the one form saga.

It's gotta be from more than just the Saga line. It would upset a hell of a lot of people (myself included) if they discluded the POTF, SOTE, POTF2, EP1, and POTJ lines.

OriginalBryGuy
08-06-2002, 03:43 PM
I just wish they'd have a simple offers to get rid of inventory. Like...a Hasbro branch off site where you could send in so many points for lots of different figures and vehicles. (NOT JUST EXCLUSIVES)...

For instance...maybe 1000 points for a Battle Arena Playset, or 50 points for a figure that's already been out. Maybe 200 points for a Republic Gunship or somehting. Not only would it help us get missed figs, but it would help Hasbro and suppliers clear out inventory. At least, that'd be SOMETHING rather then pine over one exclusive here and there. I miss so much stuff as time rolls on, I'd love to cash in points for stuff that's already out but hard to find!!

One of the reason I think Hasbro is still twidling their thumbs is because of people like that guy who had 4,000+ points. The points are comparable with how much is spent on an item. Figures aren't 10 dollars but their close. Other items aren't 20 but their close. If Hasbro actually gave cash value for each point being worth a buck, they'd loose so much money on the deal it wouldn't make sense.

Their just trying to figure out how to do it, how to supply it, and how to make it profitable for them too. With so many people having so many points, what would you do?

Exclusives would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath. I'd rather see points being used to get more common items. Of course, I haven't opened any of my figures so why do I even care?:D

Adam
08-06-2002, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by OriginalBryGuy
I just wish they'd have a simple offers to get rid of inventory. Like...a Hasbro branch off site where you could send in so many points for lots of different figures and vehicles. (NOT JUST EXCLUSIVES)...

For instance...maybe 1000 points for a Battle Arena Playset, or 50 points for a figure that's already been out. Maybe 200 points for a Republic Gunship or somehting. Not only would it help us get missed figs, but it would help Hasbro and suppliers clear out inventory. At least, that'd be SOMETHING rather then pine over one exclusive here and there. I miss so much stuff as time rolls on, I'd love to cash in points for stuff that's already out but hard to find!!

That's a good idea. I wish they would do something like that....

Thumb Wars
08-11-2002, 08:42 PM
that just figures they would not decide to try to do something with them!!!! i had about 8000 points saved until recently. i had friends giving them to me and everything!!! then about 3 weeks ago, i decided to get rid of them because i had not seen anything being done with them!! so i threw them all out!!!! darn you Hasbro!!!!!

Nebulaz
08-12-2002, 12:50 AM
i just hope they have a deal where if you collected carded figures you can still redeem your points somehow...

DarthBrandon
08-12-2002, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Nebulaz
i just hope they have a deal where if you collected carded figures you can still redeem your points somehow...

You mean without cutting them off the backs of the cards?

Beast
08-12-2002, 05:21 AM
Well, the only way that I could see you being able to redeem the points from your carded collection was if like Brandon said, you cut them off the card. Though Hasbro did say, reciepts would not be required, if you send the points in. So maybe you could just send the receipts for your carded figures as proof? Not sure, sounds possible given their comments. But nothing is finalized yet anyway. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

OriginalBryGuy
08-12-2002, 04:07 PM
So maybe you could just send the receipts for your carded figures as proof?

I'd be too easy to ring up a receipt, then void it out later. Would be nice tho.

TylerD
08-12-2002, 08:24 PM
I think that Hasbro is going to want actual points that have been cut off of the cards. I am not a carded collector, so it doesn't bother me. Besides, Hasbro knows that all (well most anyway) kids open their figures, and that the kids are going to want to cut off the points to redeem things. This whole thing will be great for collectors, because we have a great amount of points (not like most kids). Hasbro, however, has to offer things at kid friendly point values, which means the collectors are going to have a field day!

jonboy
08-12-2002, 08:53 PM
Hey guys, I hate to be the black cloud overhead, But I doubt Hasbro will do this like any of you think. I think that they will most likely want something like 300 or 400 points for a figure. I don't think that anything will be free. I would say that you will have to send in so many points for the right to even get the item and than it will cost you something to actually buy it. If you do get it for free, they will probably charge enough for shipping to make up for the cost of giving you the item. Has anyone here ever joined one of those CD clubs? They send you so many free if you agree to buy x amount in a years time. It only costs 50 cents to produce a CD and around 75 cents to ship it. Notice how they charge you $1.85 for shipping on each free CD? They make a 60 cent profit on each free one that you take. Is that really free? I know this because a good friend of mine use to work in a CD plant. It is all business. You may think that you are really getting free stuff, when in reality they are just selling it to you at a smaller profit in hopes of your future business. Anyone here that smokes remember the whole Marlboro Mile thing? Do you remember the insane amount that you had to send just to get a freakin' ashtray?

stad
08-12-2002, 11:44 PM
Actually the insane amount was for the Marlboro pool table!

Prince Xizor
08-13-2002, 12:26 AM
I think jonboys right. You are going to have to pay for shipping and handling, and you are definietly going to have to send in the points from the card themselves. No reciepts or photos. But hey, I guess this is better than nothing!

Thunderbird
08-13-2002, 12:34 AM
I collect both carded and loose so I end up with a lot of points. I hope they do something with these soon. For the Mace Windu offer I ended getting seven. I helped a lot of my friends who only collect carded figures and gave them some of my extra upc's so they didn't miss out. Most of the guys offered to buy them from me, but I just had them look for new stuff for me so it worked out for everyone. :D

Mandalorian Candidat
08-13-2002, 12:07 PM
I wouldn't mind paying a couple of bucks for shipping on a mail-away. They tend to be nice anyways so it's worth it. Plus, who doesn't like hanging around the mailbox waiting for their prize to come 6-8 weeks after mailing off your POPs?

aceguide
08-13-2002, 03:57 PM
Whatever, whenever - JUST DO IT HASBRO!

SuperBattleDroid88
08-13-2002, 05:02 PM
If it's a cool figure and can't be bought in stores than it would be worth it to pay what, around 5 bucks at the most.... :rolleyes: