PDA

View Full Version : 3 months later, how do you feel about the film?

JediTricks
08-02-2002, 07:15 PM
Has your feeling about AOTC changed since the movie came out? Do you like it more, less, the same? Do you feel more or less drawn to seeing it in theaters more now?

Rogue II
08-02-2002, 07:19 PM
I like it the same, so far. I am waiting for the DVD at this point.

I was talking with some people who aren't huge star wars fans. They said that the film was too choppy. I have to agree with them a little. I still enjoyed it.

jedibear
08-03-2002, 01:12 AM
After many more viewings, I like it even more.

It's got everything this old Star Wars fan ever wanted....a chance to see the jedi in action, the story behind Luke & Leia's parents, seeing Yoda in his prime and so much more.

It is definately worth seeing many times on the big screen, but it will be great having it on DVD to view as often as I'd like...

Obi-Don
08-03-2002, 04:18 AM
The theaters here have stopped showing it,so I can't go see it anymore. If it was still showing,I would be there tomorrow. Now I'm waiting like everyone else for the DVD.

Pendo
08-03-2002, 04:24 AM
The cinemas have stopped showing it here too so now I can only watch it with my bootleg copy, but it is still fun to watch even on that. My opinion hasn't really changed, I still enjoy every second of it (appart from the bit with 3PO in the droid factory) and it is still 3rd in my rank of Star Wars films. I can't wait until it's ot on DVD. I just hope that some of the re-incorporated material doesn't make some scenes more annoying, like the Pre Podrace in Ep1.

PENDO!

Jek Porky 2002
08-03-2002, 04:38 AM
I've only seen it once because I don't want to ruin it for when the DVD comes out, when I saw TPM 8 times by the time the video came out I knew every word so it wasn't that good.

But thinking about it no, my opinion hasn't changed, I just can't believe it's been 3 months!

Starfig873
08-03-2002, 12:01 PM
Honestly I still think it's a fun, awesome movie. I really enjoyed it when I was watching it, and I'm eager to get it on DVD to watch yet again.

It's just now we've been able to disect the movie more, so we know it's flaws (no matter how many) and we know some of the reasonings behind it. I'd probably say I like it about the same if not more now.

scruffziller
08-03-2002, 12:09 PM
Yes I can not wait till the DVD!!!!!

dr_evazan22
08-03-2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Starfig873
It's just now we've been able to disect the movie more, so we know it's flaws (no matter how many) and we know some of the reasonings behind it.

That pretty much hit the nail on the head! I still love the movie and am eagerly awaiting it on DVD.

Jek Porky 2002
08-04-2002, 05:38 PM
Just over 14 weeks to go!

LTBasker
08-04-2002, 05:48 PM
I still feel the same about it. CGI was overused. :D

I was planning on seeing it again, but it left the theaters here awhile back so that killed those plans.

Jek Porky 2002
08-04-2002, 05:59 PM
Yes, I forgot to mention the over-used special effects that are still quite primitive, they need to develop them a bit before using them on such a scale.

DarthBrandon
08-04-2002, 08:57 PM
Nothing has changed, I've seen it about fifteen times already and although there are some scenes (Love scenes) I don't care for, I loved the movie itself. Can't wait for the DVD release.:)

Darth Nihilus
08-05-2002, 11:51 AM
After three viewings and three months to consider how I feel I don't like the movie anywhere near as much as when I first watched it, in particular the way C-3PO is used during the battle scene.

2-1B
08-05-2002, 12:09 PM
Saw it for the 20th time yesterday, and I keep liking it even more !
I almost had to avert my eyes in horror during 3P0's droid foundry hijinx, but other than that I love it ! Still my favorite . . .

I won't see it again until the DVD comes out, so I'm sad that I'm "done" for awhile. But I will be reinvigorated to do it all over again in 3 months. :happy:

tagmac
08-05-2002, 04:50 PM
I definitely liked it, and I'm looking forward to it coming out on DVD. I was hoping to catch it in digital at least once, but it left the theaters sooner than I'd thought it would. Can't wait till November.

Pendo
08-05-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
I almost had to avert my eyes in horror during 3P0's droid foundry hijinx, but other than that I love it ! Still my favorite . . .

I HATE that part so badly with the flying droid thing (what is it called?) and 3PO holding on, that I asked a friend to edit it out of my bootleg copy so now you see R2 push him off and 3PO lands straight away onto the conveyor belt. It looks perfect and can't tell about the cut, i can't see why 3PO had to do all that crap with the flying droid thing!

PENDO!

JON9000
08-06-2002, 01:56 AM
I suppose I feel the same- a great, grim opening followed by the great speeder chase. The love scenes always seemed a little forced and they are now somewhat tedious to sit through, much like the very unincidental exposition scenes in EpI (ugh). I really love the entire Kamino sequence as well as the pursuit through the asteroid field. The Anakin thread gets much more interesting once they arrive on Tatooine, and I really enjoyed the picture from that moment forward. The only real problem I have with 3po in the droid foundaries is that the CGI looks kind of lame. I eagerly await the DVD!!

bigbarada
08-10-2002, 12:57 AM
Wow, three months already. I still like it just as much now as I did when I first saw it. In fact, after over a month of not seeing anything about the movie, I can honestly say that I like it more now.

The only difference is the Threepio/Droid Foundry scene was incredibly annoying the third time I watched it (that CG was atrocious!). The first time I saw it, I thought it was pretty funny, the second time it was cute, the third time I had to turn away in horror.

The Geonosis Battle sequence (from the execution scene to Yoda's duel) is still my favorite action sequence in any Star Wars film. I love the fact that GL downplayed the lightsaber duels, I must be the only Star Wars fan in existence who is getting tired of lightsabers.

Emperor Howdy
08-10-2002, 01:20 AM
Hmmm....let me see.............:o "yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn"........Darn! Nothing's changed in three months!

stillakid
08-27-2002, 09:58 AM
As time goes on, I keep running into more and more people who didn't see it at all. They were so disappointed by TPM that they wrote off the prequels entirely.

While I'm not at that point, probably because I still enjoy collecting the toys, I was extremely disappointed in TPM. AOTC appeared to be an improvement but the more I think about it, the more obvious it becomes that the FX were used to distract the audience from a story laden with strained conveniences (ie. C3PO's body walking into place to receive a new head) and odd plot holes (ie. James Bond-style execution sequence giving the heroes time to devise an escape plan and the forced love story).

This all might have been just fine if not for the fact that it comes from a guy who claimed years ago that he used the FX to help tell a story instead of gratiuitously splashing them onscreen. I recall an interview right after Jedi in which Lucas was discussing the Sail Barge and how he resisted really showing it off despite the amount of work that went into creating it. It seems that that spirit has vanished. I may be setting myself up for more disappointment, but I still hold out hope that Lucas will wake up before Episode III is finished and maybe even take the time to "redo" I and II to better reflect the creativity that drew so many of us to the saga in the first place.

While diehard fans will always laud the virtues of what he is doing, it's clear that the vast majority of the general audience was hoping for something a little better.

derek
08-27-2002, 05:49 PM
i saw episode 2 eight times. while i liked it, i get more disapointed with the film as i think about it. especially after watching "the fellowship of the ring" on DVD over and over, i wish episode 2 had been more in that "tone".:)

stillakid,

i wish i could say i have some faith that episode 3 will be lucas' redemption, but sadly, i don't think it will be.:cry:

JEDIpartner
08-29-2002, 08:01 AM
and I just saw it in the theatre again about two weekends ago. LOVED IT!!!!

El Chuxter
08-29-2002, 10:35 PM
I liked it more each time. I'm currently undecided whether it's the best or second best of them all.

And like bigbarada, everything from the shot of Mace strolling into the arena like he owns the joint is the best action sequence ever (at least for a SW film). It's impossible for me not to get on the edge of my seat, though I know exactly what's going to happen. :)

187-Maul
08-31-2002, 01:03 PM
I liked it best the first time I saw it but still like it about as much now
can't wait for the DVD, especially watching the hole lightsaber duel in slowmotion :D

Chiesa
08-31-2002, 03:06 PM
I think the movie is just great and 3 months later while watching it on my comp over and over again... I must say that the feeling is just the same... GREAT!! I'm just waiting for the DVD so that I can catch the edited scenes!!

Cheers
:crazed:

jjreason
09-01-2002, 01:17 AM
Im looking forward to scanning for the digital differences as I was only able to see it in "regular" theatres. 6 viewings and Im ready for the DVD to come out.

I really like what I like in AOTC (final battle, speeder chase) but get more and more bored and frustrated with the droid foundry and the drawn out love scenes as viewings mount. The DVD will be perfect because of the "skip" function.

ALl in all, AOTC was a good solid 8 out of 10 from me to start (bested only by ESB which was perfect) and maintains that rating. Great show.

mini-rock
09-02-2002, 12:50 AM
AOTC is the best installment to SW IMO. I saw it 19 times, and I know the DVD will be the most watched in my DARKSIDE THEATER.

hango fett
09-04-2002, 04:51 PM
loved every minute of it. but wish the deleted scenes where in there to begin with.
h

DeadEye
09-04-2002, 05:10 PM
I know. Thing is, people don't like long movies. The one exception is Lord of The Rings, because people waited 50 years to see it so they won't mind it being three hours. :)
But after the disappointment of TPM, most people were skeptical of AOTC and Lucas wants to appease the audiences.

stillakid
09-04-2002, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by DeadEye
I know. Thing is, people don't like long movies. The one exception is Lord of The Rings, because people waited 50 years to see it so they won't mind it being three hours. :)
But after the disappointment of TPM, most people were skeptical of AOTC and Lucas wants to appease the audiences.

Speaking for myself, of course :), I don't mind a lengthy movie just so long as it is thoroughly entertaining. The issue isn't normally about the quantity of time, but rather the quality. I've sat through 90 minute flicks that literally seemed like 3 hours and I've enjoyed 2+ hour flicks that flew past. LOTR was somewhere in the middle for me. It was long and I started feeling every minute of it as I wasn't drawn into the story. TPM starts dragging almost immediately as the pacing was bad. AOTC moves much better, but GL himself always admitted to wanting to cut fast so that the audience didn't have time to see that he wasn't that great at character development.

There aren't many movies that can stand up to the scrutiny of repeated viewings, but when problems with story or character are that obvious, the general audience is usually aware enough to figure it out quickly.

gibbyhayes
09-04-2002, 11:28 PM
I loved this movie the first time I saw it and went back four more times to make sure I was right. I've got plenty to ***** about, but I'll wear the hell out of that DVD when it arrives...

stillakid
09-04-2002, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by gibbyhayes
but I'll wear the hell out of that DVD when it arrives...

This is NOT a sarcastic question. Is it possible to wear out DVD's or CD's? When and if they go bad, what in particular fails? Thanks!

(sorry to drive it off topic for a sec.)

Lobito
09-05-2002, 01:08 PM
Well...i only saw the movie twice and i cant wait to get it in DVD format. About the figs...i still have to find some stuff to complete the AOTC line.

JediTricks
09-05-2002, 04:19 PM
As I understand it, you can wear out writable/rewritable CDs and DVDs, but if you use normal pressed (non-writable) discs with the proper amount of care, you should not have anything to worry about in terms of wear. Unfortunately, you still have to worry about time since DVDs and CDs do indeed have a limited shelf life of about 15 years before they begin to break down in one way or another (there are several ways they can break down, the material can fog up, the layers can come apart, or the reflective top can dull or separate).

stillakid
09-05-2002, 11:17 PM
So the best archival material still remains to be good old fashioned film.

bigbarada
09-05-2002, 11:38 PM
I've always suspected that the plastic on DVDs wouldn't "last forever" like the ads claim. It only stands to reason that DVD manufacturers would use the cheapest plastic they can find which would be very suceptable to degrading over time.

JediTricks
09-06-2002, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
So the best archival material still remains to be good old fashioned film. Ho ho! I suppose that's true, but just barely. The ANH Special Edition was proof of that, after 15 years, the ANH master print had deterioriated so badly that it was almost unsalvagable (I still find it ironic that the Special Edition project was started to save the original films for posterity and ended up erasing the original films by changing and adding so much). There's no real holy grail of cinematic archival material yet, over time digital can lose magnetic alignment, film can fade, DVD can fall apart. Film is currently the most salvagable over time, but digital (harddrives or digital tapes) is the easiest to retransfer; film has the most luster and richness, but digital is a more uniform and maliable format.

stillakid
09-06-2002, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Ho ho! I suppose that's true, but just barely. The ANH Special Edition was proof of that, after 15 years, the ANH master print had deterioriated so badly that it was almost unsalvagable (I still find it ironic that the Special Edition project was started to save the original films for posterity and ended up erasing the original films by changing and adding so much). There's no real holy grail of cinematic archival material yet, over time digital can lose magnetic alignment, film can fade, DVD can fall apart. Film is currently the most salvagable over time, but digital (harddrives or digital tapes) is the easiest to retransfer; film has the most luster and richness, but digital is a more uniform and maliable format.

There are baskets of punch cards from the '60's to prove the worth of film as the best overall archival format. Let's fast forward 100 years from now. You pick up a DVD and I'll pick up a reel of film. Whoever can describe what the images are 10 minutes into the movie wins. :)

While any format requires updating from time to time (restoring an old negative or transferring the code from one harddrive to another), film has continued to be the longest lasting medium to date (not to mention my above point concerning plain old usability over time.) While my videotapes documenting the births of my children will be in jeopardy just 10 to 15 years from now, I can still string up old 8mm film that my Grandparent's shot from when my own parents were mere children. Just why the ANH negatives were in such poor shape is an issue I'm not privy to, but for the most part, features manage to survive far longer than that specific example.

The cave paintings of Chauvet-Ponot-D'Arc for instance, have managed to stand the test of time. But I suppose to follow that lead, we'd all have to sit in sub-zero theaters everytime we went out to the movies. :)

As to actually altering the story content while "preserving" the work, that's a whole other discussion entirely. :)

Beast
09-06-2002, 04:51 PM
JT, you are way off on how long DVD's last. Official DVD FAQ's on websites currently state that pressed discs will last between 50-300 years. So your 15 year estimate is a little off. http://www.thedigitalbits.com/officialfaq.html :p :D

[3.12] How long do DVDs last?
Pressed discs (the kind that movies come on) last longer than you will, anywhere from 50 to 300 years.

Expected longevity of DVD-R and DVD+R discs is anywhere from 40 to 250 years, about as long as CD-R discs.

The erasable formats (DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, and DVD+RW) have an expected lifetime of 25 to 100 years.

There's a good discussion of CD-R longevity (http://www.kodak.com/country/US/en/digital/cdr/tech/performSpecs.jhtml) and test info (http://www.kodak.com/US/en/digital/cdr/tech/) at Kodak. Also see < www.ee.washington.edu/conselec/CE/kuhn/otherformats/95x9.htm > and < www.cd-info.com/CDIC/Technology/CD-R/Media/Kodak.html > for more info.

For comparison, magnetic media (tapes and disks) lasts 10 to 30 years; high-quality, acid-neutral paper can last 100 years or longer; and archival-quality microfilm is projected to last 300 years or more. Note that computer storage media often becomes technically obsolete within 20 to 30 years, long before it physically deteriorates. In other words, before the media becomes unviable it may become difficult or impossible to find equipment that can read it.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
09-06-2002, 10:08 PM
But what about the durability of the plastic itself? Action figure deteriorate over time in dramatically different ways because of the cheap and inconsistent plastic used to make them (how you can get an otherwise pristine figure with one discolored limb). I have a hard time believing that the protective plastic coating will never fog or discolor over time, or the reflective layer of the disc won't begin to degrade and the "pits" begin to round off at the edges and merge together.

stillakid
09-06-2002, 10:25 PM
Like I said, and JJB elaborated on, my own personal opinion is that durability is more or less a moot point as the technology renders it effectively unusable before it could physically fail.

VHS has hung in there suprisingly long, but it wasn't really that long ago, relatively speaking, that some television stations still had 2" tape machines in their tape rooms. Those gave way to 1" and many of those have quickly been replaced by BetaSP. Many of those are now getting replaced by DigiBeta and (politics pending) will give way for the newer generation of machines capable of handling HD.

Electronic technology just goes on and on and on which in the short term is a good thing, but just try walking an old copy of Faulty Towers on 2" tape into a modern tape room and see how far you get. But march into practically any telecine house or lab or local theater with an old reel of 35mm film and within minutes (barring severe physical deterioration) you'll be seeing pictures flickering on a screen.

The DVD disk you own today may in fact still be almost as good as new for your grandchildren to enjoy, but chances are extraordinarily good that they'll have to dig an ancient DVD player out of the attic to play it.

My own "theory" on the future of technology in terms of home entertainment is that if it isn't delivered on demand directly to our home entertainment/computer/communications center, then we'll have some kind of miniscule chip or micro-dot or something.

Even beyond that, I forsee a future where we master the mysteries of biological memory and nearly infinite amounts of information will be stored and delivered via a "bio mass" of some sort. Instead of putting a battery in your camera to make it work, you'll have to feed it to keep it alive. How freakin' cool would that be! And just a bit creepy at the same time.

But this seems to be way off topic, so I'll stop now. :)

Jayspawn
09-22-2002, 11:36 PM
I love it!!! I've seen it 12 times in the theatres and love every minute of it. I plan to see it a few more times.

I don't have 'favorites' among the Star Wars movies, but this is one of mine (if I had favorites).

Dark Lord Kakorotto
09-29-2002, 09:43 PM
When I think of the shadow of Yoda walking in I get chills up my spine...I love AOTC and all Star Wars movies. Thank the Lord it comes out Nov. 12