PDA

View Full Version : Destroyer Droid Should Be Droideka

Jek Porky 2002
08-03-2002, 07:52 AM
Who thinks that the Destroyer Droid figure for the Saga line should be called Droideka, the only reason that the EpI version was called Destroyer was because that was what they where origionaly going to be called, but changed at the last minute, so this time should it be Droideka?

Jargo
08-03-2002, 08:06 AM
The Neimoidians refer to them as 'Droideka's' but Obi-Wan says to Qui-Gon "Look master - destroyers!" or something similar.
So both terms are relevent. The correct name on the packaging should read 'Droideka (Destroyer Droid) Arena battle' or something like that. But it's a really minor issue in terms of renaming something. Mostly everyone refers to them as destroyers so that's probably the way they will always be remembered.

Jek Porky 2002
08-03-2002, 08:42 AM
I see your point Jargo.

Lt Kettch
08-03-2002, 12:54 PM
Still i think droideka, I think that "destroyer" would be Jedi slang for the droids like the rogues refer to interceptors as "squints" or bombers as "dupes". But still I think it'd be cool if it were labeled Droideka as its actual name.

LTBasker
08-03-2002, 02:38 PM
They're Destroyer Droids, but to be lazy Rune calls them Droidekas. Do you want him to be strict and have to have extra scene time just fit in "Where are those Destroyer Droids?!?!"

fourtwo
08-03-2002, 02:46 PM
i think its cause kids wouldn't be able to pronounce droidekas to there parents...
"mommy mommy i want the droide....droide....nevermind, i want bob the builder!"

:)

Battle Droid
08-03-2002, 02:54 PM
Yeah the name Destroyer droid is getting old, Droideka sounds cooler.

Jek Porky 2002
08-03-2002, 05:21 PM
Well at least some people are agreeing with me!

thespar
08-03-2002, 11:36 PM
six of one half dozen of another. call it what ever you what i will still get one.

Lord Tenebrous
08-04-2002, 12:16 AM
At least they're not calling them 'wheel droids'. ;)

The canon explanation isn't clear about the difference in reference, so it's safe to say that 'destroyer droid' is the common name for them, where 'droideka' is the manufacturer's label.

There are probably a few dozen destroyer droid models in the galaxy, but for the movies, we're just concerned with this one; thus the generic name.

TheFrankEinstein
08-04-2002, 01:22 AM
What I wonder is, if the regular old Battle Droids were based on Geonosian anatomy, where are the hulking monsters who inspired the Droidekas? ;)

Obi-Don
08-04-2002, 08:50 AM
Maybe Droideka means Destroyer Droid.

Obi-Don
08-04-2002, 08:52 AM
I know that was a stupid statement. Sometimes my mind goes blank when I start typing and.......What was I saying?

Jargo
08-04-2002, 08:59 AM
The destroyer droids were allegedly bvased on another insectoid race of aliens called collicoids. The episode one visual dictionary has more details but i don't have it to hand right now to give you what it says. But basically the destroyer droids are made by the collicoids in their own image like the battle droids are made in the geonosians own image. Or that's the story according to the vis dictionary. The official line might have altered since but i doubt it.

Jek Porky 2002
08-04-2002, 11:16 AM
I think the Collicoids where in the Jedi Quest book, but I'm not certain.

This is from the Episode I Visual Dictionary:

The design was created by a species of Chitinous Colicoids in thier own image on a planet far from the Republic's core. Colicoids are known for thier completely unfeeling and murderous ways.

Also:

The dramatic transformation recalls the attack pattern of a deadly adult Colicoid, and can take unwary opponents by suprise- as the droids' manufacturers intended.

They sound nasty!

Jek Porky 2002
08-04-2002, 11:20 AM
I've just checked, it is the colicoids in Jedi Quest, they pilot Obi-Wan and Anakin to Krayns ship, and tell Anakin off for messing around with thier controls.