PDA

View Full Version : Any news about poor R5D4

Droidlover
08-04-2002, 12:50 PM
I was hoping to hear something by now.

Lord Tenebrous
08-04-2002, 01:18 PM
His name popped up as a pack-in with a rumored Sandcrawler, but no substantial evidence that he's coming, apart from his former attachment to the BoShek wave.

Forhekset
08-04-2002, 01:28 PM
Only smidgen of info I've heard is that he might be a pack-in with the rumored (?) Sandcrawler. But all of that is strictly rumor and nothing else for now, I think.

Edit: Lord Tenebrous beat me to it - that's what I get for hitting "reply" then messing around on eBay for half an hour, then finally posting afterwards. :rolleyes: I'm locked in a brutal bidding war for a lot of 14 Thunder Cats figs. :)

Lord Tenebrous
08-04-2002, 02:14 PM
Thundercats, Ho! :D

But in all honesty, after the debateable values of Preview R3, Saga R2, and the Star Tours series, Hasbro should really just start doing droid multi-packs and sell them for $5.99, like the Action Fleet reissues.

First up should be R5, an R1 droid, and a reissue Commtech Jawa. :)

Jek Porky 2002
08-04-2002, 05:47 PM
I think he turned into R4-M9, in the end.

FKA Broke Collector
08-04-2002, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Lord Tenebrous
Thundercats, Ho! :D

But in all honesty, after the debateable values of Preview R3, Saga R2, and the Star Tours series, Hasbro should really just start doing droid multi-packs and sell them for $5.99, like the Action Fleet reissues.

First up should be R5, an R1 droid, and a reissue Commtech Jawa. :)

This really is a good idea. I'm quite surprised they haven't done this already. I'd buy them (as long as they maintain quality of course) in an instant.

Jek Porky 2002
08-04-2002, 06:08 PM
I don't think it's a good idea.

Anakin
08-05-2002, 12:21 AM
why is r5-d4 so cool? all he did was blow his motivator (listen to luke in ANH) and why does everyone hate anakin? anakin slaughters a tribe of tusken raiders, r5 blows up; anakin marries one of the hottest woman to grace the SW universe, r5 blows up; anakin becomes responsible for killing the jedi, r5 blows up, see a pattern? anakin=badass jedi R5-D4=robot w/5min of screen time in which time it blows up

bigbarada
08-05-2002, 12:33 AM
People like R5-D4 because we can all sympathize with blowing your motivator when the pressure is on.:)

I had really hoped that we would hear some word about R5 by now. You'd think that Hasbro would jump at the chance to release a figure that is essentially a repaint (albeit with a new head).

hango fett
08-05-2002, 09:09 AM
could be a very intresting if they do the multi-packs. they could make alot if they just sold them like that.
h.

JEDIpartner
08-05-2002, 11:09 AM
Why R5-D4? The modern one that came out in the POTF2 line was a dud. He has a unique head sculpt as R4-M9 had a unique head sculpt. Sure, he's another Astrodroid, but he's not like all the dome tops we've been getting.

Old Fossil
08-05-2002, 11:29 AM
R5-D4 holds great nostalgia for many of us older collectors. Personally, I never had R2 when I was a kid: just Threepio and R5. Then there's the really cool story from Star Wars 'Tales' some time ago, which featured R5 as 'Skippy the Jedi droid' or something like that: a fun backstory.

Also, R5 plays an important role for those seeing ANH for the first time: his physical resemblance to Artoo shows that such droids are not necessarily unique in their construction, that there might be many more varieties of that type of droid. It gives the viewer the sense that rolling, 3-legged droids such as R2 and R5 are fairly common in the Star Wars universe, adding to the level of 'believability,' if you will.

Now I will submit my 'R5-D4' essay... ;>