PDA

View Full Version : Short -lived TV of the 70's and 80's - Do you recall any?

JediCole
08-04-2002, 04:19 PM
Since the structure of my memory is something like a stew of useless memory, any piece of which may be stirred to the top at any moment, I tend to have memories cross my mind without warning. Such was the thought that inspired this thread. I had a memory of a (thankfully) short lived show that spun off from a made-for-TV-movie starring television fixture Andy Griffith. Who amoungst us recalls...SALVAGE ONE!

The movie chronicled the adventures of an insane scrap and salvage dealer who teams up with an unlikely band of pseudo-experts to make an unlicensed, private rocket ship with lunar lander to make an amateur astronaut journey to the Lunar surface! The goal of this trip was to salvage anything left on the moon by NASA! It appears that the Law of the Briney Deep applies in the Sea of Tranquility as well as in any terrestrial seas! Anyway, this was such a hit for the network (I forget which) that they were compelled to make it a series. Unfortunatly it was more about using their reuseable rocket to jet post haste to points around the globe to have adventures, including a Bigfoot-craze inspired wildman adventure! I think it only managed two or three episodes, but somehow it still sticks in my memory!

Another short lived series of this period was the wonderful spoof of Star Trek, Quark! Richard Benjamin played Quark, the Captain of an intergalactic garbage scow. His crew consisted of hot blonde twins, an emotionless, Mr. Spock inspired half-breed (actually of human and plantlike alien parentage), and a few other intergalactic misfits. Though this fun filled show fared better than Salvage One (squeezing in about 8 to 9 episodes), it is largely forgotten today.

Does anyone else recall either of these quirky shows? Are there other short-lived TV shows of any kind that spring to mind? Share your memories here.

Exhaust Port
08-04-2002, 08:24 PM
The Charmings: a fanasty type medievel family travels through time and lives in the present time. They had a talking mirror for advice.

Small Wonder: a husband builds a robotic daughter for the family. WORST TV SHOW OF ALL TIME!

Cop Rock: a cop show that mixed in musical numbers through out each episode

Sledgehammer: a renegade cop who accomplishes more out of ignorance and brute force than skill. "Trust me, I know what I'm doing."

Does anyone remember the name of the show that focused on a teenage girl who was from another planet living on earth with distant relatives. She communicated with her dad back on her home planet through a flashing clear rubicks cube. It was "Another Planet" or something like that.

Boba Fitt
08-05-2002, 09:35 AM
The Phoenix.
Starred Judson Scott as an alien named Bennu that was discovered in a Myan tomb. He was left there thousands of years ago and when his tomb was opened his mission's instructions were erased and he did not know what he was supposed to do. Then of course there was the ever-persistant government agents after him.

It lasted about 4 episodes, plus the pilot. I was 8 at the time but I think it was good...

sith_killer_99
08-05-2002, 12:17 PM
Manimal...

Or how about V!

Exhaust Port
08-05-2002, 01:27 PM
I loved "V" as a kid!!

JEDIpartner
08-05-2002, 04:14 PM
"Shirley!" (spun off from "What's Happenin' ")

"Lotsa Luck"

"Ten Speed & Brownshoe"

"The Ropers"

"Gloria" (spun off from "All in the Family")

...and yes, I remember "Salvage I" and "Quark"!!!

Mandalorian Candidat
08-05-2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port
Sledgehammer: a renegade cop who accomplishes more out of ignorance and brute force than skill. "Trust me, I know what I'm doing."

Does anyone remember the name of the show that focused on a teenage girl who was from another planet living on earth with distant relatives. She communicated with her dad back on her home planet through a flashing clear rubicks cube. It was "Another Planet" or something like that.

Yes, I know the show you're talking about. It's called Out of this World. I used to watch it now and then. I hated that girl's fat uncle. I think his name was Beano.

I used to love Sledge Hammer. I remember one episode where his captain was yelling at him. So as he walks away SH throws a paper airplane at him and it sticks in his afro. :D

I remember a show called Lottery! (The exclamation point is part of the title. I'm not excited about the show necessarily.) It was about two Ed McMahon wannabes who travel around dispensing lottery checks to people. Of course every person had a major hangup so there would be something to watch other than these two goons showing up at someone's house.

Then there was also Police Squad, which The Naked Gun was based off of. Aah. To remember innocent little OJ before he took Nicole's head off....

JediCole
08-05-2002, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat

Then there was also Police Squad, which The Naked Gun was based off of.

This thread turned up some great stuff! I am impressed with the responses so far. I can't believe I forgot Police Squad! I LOVED Police Squad. It was a bit ahead of its time in some ways, and consistantly funny. Famous for pitched gun battles with combatants crouched behind trash cans or cars, then the camera would pull out to reveal a distance of about one foot between them, Police Squad ended every episode with a tag line joke and the obligitory "freeze frame", however it was not a still frame but all of the actors simply standing still. Each episode had a different consequence to this freeze frame, such as a prisoner escaping when he realizes everyone is frozen, or a monkey that was being interrogated earlier in the show jumping all around the squad room, throwing papers around and wreaking havoc amoungst the frozen police.

I remember Ten Speed and Brownshoe (a quirky detective semi-drama starring Ben Vereen and Jeff Goldblum. Though I never saw it, I do recall Lotsa Luck. I have no idea what it was about, but I do know that I was forbidden to watch it at the tender young age I was back when it (briefly) aired. Oddly enough, that was one of the shows I was thinking of when I posted this thread, but knowing none of the details. I decided to let it pass.

Another I can't believe I forgot was "V", the impractical offshoot of a fairly sucessful TV mini-series.

I remember seeing a comercial for Cop Rock, but never watched it at all. I vaguely recall something about The Ropers, but never saw it either. However, that did bring another inductee of the Television Hall of Shame to mind, that spin-off from the popular show about a Mel's Diner, "Alice" (which actually spun off from a movie, "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore"), "Flo"! Yes, Flo ("kiss my grits") from Mel's got her own show, though I don't know if it lasted beyond the pilot.

Also, there was a short-lived show that may have ended before it began, dying after the pilot, though I do not recall the name. It was a show about a convenience store. I rembmer trying to watch it and finding it dreadful. The only image that sticks in my mind was a scene shown on the commercials with the owner telling someone that they do not make change except with a purchase. Then he asks the man what he wants to buy to which he replies, "Change!"

Thank you to all who have posted thus far, I hope this sparks many bad memories and we can share in the history of shows that should have made it, and some that were too bad to begin with!

billfremore
08-05-2002, 10:30 PM
Automan

Walter Nebicher is a frustrated member of the Los Angeles Police Force. While he'd love to be out on the streets fighting crime head on, he's stuck behind a computer doing a job that nobody, especially his boss - Captain Boyd, appears to appreciate. Seeking to find a means to resolve this frustration Walter creates Automan, a three-dimensional holographic computer construct that looks just like a human being - apart from the fact that he can walks through walls, create things like cars and helicopters in an instant and consumes more electricity than an army of kettles during a SuperBowl ad-break.

Automan is a computerised vigilante and law enforcer, capable of chasing down the criminals Walter, and even the whole Los Angeles Police Department, can't. He's accompanied by a flying companion called Cursor, who creates the various vehicles and tools that he uses to fight crime. Being computer-generated he has the ability to tap into the resource to talk with other computer-controlled machanisms - e.g. traffic lights. His existence consumes a massive amount of electrical energy so he can only functional effectively at night when local energy consumption is low. During the day, robbed of peak power potential, he would fade away.

Now isn't that an amazing sounding premise?

This show should have ran for 10 years!!! :D

Exhaust Port
08-06-2002, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
Yes, I know the show you're talking about. It's called Out of this World. I used to watch it now and then. I hated that girl's fat uncle. I think his name was Beano.

Thank you so much!! I've been thinking about this for days. It was truly an awful show.

Then there was also Police Squad, which The Naked Gun was based off of. Aah. To remember innocent little OJ before he took Nicole's head off....

My dad bought me VHS tapes of the Police Squad series years ago. I never saw it when it originally aired. Looking at the tapes I realized that basically the movies were exactly the same as the episodes. The just took 3 of the 1/2 hour episodes and combined them to make each movie. The episodes were still much better in my opinion.

scruffziller
08-06-2002, 04:20 AM
Enos, real bad spinoff of Dukes Of Hazzard

dingodad
08-17-2002, 04:24 PM
He Haw Hunnies

SWAFMAN
08-17-2002, 10:25 PM
Flying High (a sitcom about stewardesses) It lasted about one week.

Hot l Baltimore (like Hotel, with the 'e' burned out). It was funny, and I wish it had lasted a long time, but didn't.

AdmiralPiett
08-18-2002, 05:33 AM
Exhaust Port, what are you talking about? Small Wonder was great! Besides, it wasn't short lived. It had at least 4 seasons. Is it just me or did anyone else ever think that with a human-girl-looking robot sleeping in the toy closet that Jamie would probably get curious and sort of sneak a peak at Vicki's "wiring"? That crossed my mind even as a 7 year old.
Back to the topic, my favorite short lived show of the 80s was COPS, the cartoon with those crooks like Dr. Badvibes, Berserko, etc.
Piett

AdmiralPiett
08-18-2002, 05:47 AM
I thought of a few more short lived 80s cartoons: Lazer Tag Academy and Kid Video.
Lazer Tag Academy was about these teenagers that went on adventures and used lazer tag gear as weapons.
Kid Video had all these young adults that were in a rock band together and they used to do 'live action' covers of popular songs in between the cartoon portion of the show. During the cartoon part of the show they would have all these crazy adventures stifling the schemes of these cat badguys and their boss. Usually during the action part of the cartoon some pop song of the 80s would play. Sussudio by Phil Collins comes to mind...
Anyone remember that one?
Also, what about My Two Dads. Staci Keenan is a cutie! That was during Paul Reiser's early days.
Piett

Exhaust Port
08-18-2002, 11:31 AM
<GASP> Someone liked Small Wonder? ;)

I loved COPS! I remember watching that everyday after school while it was on. "Fightin' crime in a future time. COPS."