PDA

View Full Version : What do you dislike about SE additions?

JON9000
08-04-2002, 06:42 PM
I have some problems with the Special Edition additions.

Greedo shooting first. Plain stoopid.

The expanded musical number in Jabba's Palace- Joh Yowza looks awful. I feel like I'm watching Toy Story.

The Ronto walking directly in front of the camera while Luke and Ben are trying to dodge the Stormtroopers.

The beak coming out of the Sarlaac.

The shuttle shot in Empire- It disrupts the flow during an action sequence and the re-working of the music doesn't really work.

MikeAndTheBots
08-04-2002, 07:04 PM
Only three for me.
1) The new song at Jabba's Palace. Just don't like it, the older one was much better.
2) Greedo shooting first, 'nuff said.
3) Luke's scream after falling from the platform on Bespin in ESB. It just sounds funny, like they got someone else to do it for the SE...

DarthBrandon
08-04-2002, 08:33 PM
I have only three, the musical in Jabba's palace, Greedo shooting first, and Han talking to Jabba in ANH. Jabba looks too fake compared to his role in ROTJ.

Darth Sidious
08-04-2002, 10:35 PM
I don't like CG Jabba, the new Jabba's Palace song (Grr...I hate it...), and I didn't mind Greedo shooting first, but he hardly has the right to call himself a bounty hunter if he can't hit someone from 3 feet away with a futuristic weapon. One thing I really liked was the new Ewok Celebration theme, it was just fantastic, imo. The new scenes were cool at the end too, such as the pushing down of Palpy's statue, which was reminiscent of the statue of Stalin being overturned in Russia. The new end sequence was wonderful.

Pendo
08-05-2002, 08:26 AM
Greedo Shooting first
Luke's scread,
Musical Score in ROTJ
CGI Jabba (if they're gonna do it then at lest do it good!)

PENDO!

LTBasker
08-05-2002, 08:33 AM
1) Greedo looking like a wussy by shooting first. :mad:
2) Cheesy CGI overuse (Why did we need to see a CGI speeder fly over womp rats?)
3) The changed song at the end
4) The terrible job on Jabba, would have been THAT hard to shoot a puppet Jabba on a green screen stage?
5) Several things that should've been updated (Chimp Lady Palpy, the Rancor footage, Boba Fett's reversed scene and some of the errors in ESB where you can see through the cockpit) were sacrificed for CGI overuse.

Beast
08-05-2002, 09:44 AM
The thing about the Luke scream, is it looks like it was always intended to be there. If you look at the original version of Empire Strikes Back, when Luke falls past camera his mouth is open. So likely the just forgot to add the sound back in 1980. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
08-05-2002, 10:02 AM
I probably wouldn't mind about the scream but it doesn't even sound like Luke! It's like the "Noooooo!" in AOTC, you KNOW it's not Qui-Gon!

PENDO!

MikeAndTheBots
08-05-2002, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Pendo
I probably wouldn't mind about the scream but it doesn't even sound like Luke! It's like the "Noooooo!" in AOTC, you KNOW it's not Qui-Gon!

PENDO!
Yeah that's what I mean, I remember Lucas saying it was going to be in the original release but was forgotten. But it just sounds so...weird...

I dig the song at the end of ROTJ:SE and the endings on all the different planets too.

Exhaust Port
08-05-2002, 11:01 AM
The Greedo scene is the only one that I can do without.

The Jabba scene could have been a little better done but I like it's addition to the movie. It provides some background to the Jabba/Han relation which seemed out of the blue in ESB to me.

The musical number was just as interesting as the original in my opinion. The CGI replacement of the lead singer could have been better but it was a step up from the footstompin' puppet.

I didn't quite get the Ronto scene. Why would you block off the whole frame like that?

The new ending to RotJ was a lot better and seems to be a lot more fitting as we understand the story now with the Prequals.

Pendo
08-05-2002, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port
The new ending to RotJ was a lot better and seems to be a lot more fitting as we understand the story now with the Prequals.

I too like the new ending, but I would like to have seen more planets such as Naboo. George had written most of Episode I by the time he did the SE so probably knew about the planet. It would have been nice to see a cheering crowd of humans and gungans there, it would give the fans something to speculate about for Episode I. Well there is always the Archival Edition...

PENDO!

icatch9
08-05-2002, 12:14 PM
It seems that most people don't care for the CG characters. Jabba, his band, and Sarlacc. I also don't like the new sarlac. The original was much scarier. Jabba's new band doesn't do it for me. I like Sly much better. The CG Jabba was crappy, the sceene was great!

These came out in early 1997. So, it just goes to show you how much a couple of years of tech can change the world. Jar Jar looks amazing next to the CG Jabba. Heck the CG Jabba from TPM looks great next the the ANH SE Jabba.

I am like one of two people it seems (the other being GL) who doesn't mind Greedo Shooting first. If I had the chance to change things in the SE that wouldn't even be on the list :). But hey, that's just me :D.

MikeAndTheBots
08-05-2002, 12:26 PM
I actually like the beak in the Sarlacc pit...

Exhaust Port
08-05-2002, 12:34 PM

Well there is always the Archival Edition...

PENDO!

Perhaps we'll see an improved Sarlacc/Jabba's band/Jabba when we finally get these on DVD. I have this feeling that GL isn't done tinkering with the OT let alone Ep I-III when they get released. I agree though Pendo, I would like to see the newer planets added to the celebration at the end of RotJ.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-05-2002, 01:01 PM
Anakin and Obi-Wan looking younger when they're ghosts for a second would be cool, but don't have them be like that for the whole time.
I didn't mind Greedo shooting first, but also I wasn't even born when Han shot first.
The CG Jabba is sucky, sucky, sucky. It's not even the right color, for God's sake! The Sarlaac could be improved upon as well. What really bugs me about the band is that, Sy is a puppet in one scene! Even though it's not that obvious, it bugs the crap out of me!

Captain Trips
08-05-2002, 01:16 PM
Greedo shooting first, definitely....ugh I hated that.

The first time i saw it, I didn't think that the new ending jived real well with the rest of the trilogy. After seeing Eps. I&II, I do think it blends well with the story as a whole.

And I agree, GL will tinker until all the actors can be made into ewoks:evil:

tagmac
08-05-2002, 05:04 PM
- Greedo shooting first
- the new ROTJ musical number

- The Sarlaac's beak....
I think the real reason behind it (and one that Lucas will NEVER admit), is because, if you look at the Sarlaac in shots from directly above, it looks EXACTLY like something I cannot say on here, only with teeth. By adding the beak and more tentacles, it looked a lot less like that specific object. I've heard that Lucas was going through a divorce when he was making Jedi, and the Sarlaac may have been a "Freudian jab" at his ex-wife.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
08-06-2002, 01:25 AM
I agree with everyone and say Greedo shooting first.

JON9000
08-06-2002, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by tagmac
- Greedo shooting first
- the new ROTJ musical number

- The Sarlaac's beak....
I've heard that Lucas was going through a divorce when he was making Jedi, and the Sarlaac may have been a "Freudian jab" at his ex-wife.

That's way too good to be true!!

scruffziller
08-06-2002, 04:57 AM
I really dislike the new music at the end of ROTJ. I prefer the Ewoks singing. Much funnier. I also hate everything that should have been fixed that wasn't, such as Obi Wan's lightsaber fizzling out while fighting Vader.

Rogue II
08-06-2002, 08:21 AM
I just watched ANH:SE and ROTJ SE this past week.

How did Greedo miss Han? He was only sitting 3 feet away?

The CG Jabba was annoying. The dialogue in the scene was ok. I didn't like Han stepping on Jabba's tail. At the end of the scene, Boba Fett walks across the screen, stops, looks around, then wanders off. Why? He did the same thing in ROTJ SE. It seems like they just put Boba Fett in the scenes just for the sake of sticking him in.

I think they added a few too many extras to the streets of Mos Eisley, including the mirror image pair of Sandtroopers.

The new music in Jabba's palace didn't bother me, but I didn't like the CG singers. They were too....cartoony.

icatch9 made a very good point. In Episode 1, you forget Jar Jar is computer animated. Hopefully GL will reaccomplish all of the CGI characters for the DVD release.

"Films are never complete, they are just abandoned" --George Lucas.

Starfig873
08-08-2002, 05:28 PM
Greedo shooting first, how poorly the CG Jabba was done...

I love the new Max Rebo band in ROTJ SE. The new song just has better pep than Lepti Nek did. Now I would like to see them at least get rid of the old puppet of Sy Snootles in that one panning scene...

Wookiee
08-12-2002, 01:58 PM
from Pendo- I too like the new ending, but I would like to have seen more planets such as Naboo. George had written most of Episode I by the time he did the SE so probably knew about the planet. It would have been nice to see a cheering crowd of humans and gungans there, it would give the fans something to speculate about for Episode I. Well there is always the Archival Edition...

Maybe by the time of ROTJ, Naboo isn' t there anymore!!
hmm...

Wookiee
08-12-2002, 02:01 PM

I too like the new ending, but I would like to have seen more planets such as Naboo. George had written most of Episode I by the time he did the SE so probably knew about the planet. It would have been nice to see a cheering crowd of humans and gungans there, it would give the fans something to speculate about for Episode I. Well there is always the Archival Edition...

PENDO!

Oh- so that's how you do those quotes.

Anyway, that would have been cool to see Naboo at the end of ROTJ, sort of a full circle of the story, but there is some speculation that something bad might happen to Naboo in Episode III or before ANH.

Pendo
08-12-2002, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Wookiee
Oh- so that's how you do those quotes.

Anyway, that would have been cool to see Naboo at the end of ROTJ, sort of a full circle of the story, but there is some speculation that something bad might happen to Naboo in Episode III or before ANH.

Do you mean something like the testing of the Death Star laser?? that would be cool. Wouldn't it be funny if in Episode III they tested the DS laser and it didn't work :rolleyes:! Maybe only half of the planet gets blown up and Naboo is left in a sort of crescent moon shape :D.

PENDO!

tagmac
08-13-2002, 09:31 PM
It would make sense....Palpatine's way of erasing any history of himself by destroying his home planet. Could be the defining moment as he reveals himself to be Sidious.

Pendo
08-14-2002, 06:16 AM
Another thing I dislike about the SE additions is the fact that the original version of the film has been forgotten :(. There will be no original version DVD :(, no original version on TV :( and no more releases on VHS :(. WE WANT ORININALS!!!!

PENDO!

JON9000
08-14-2002, 03:01 PM
Don't worry Pendo, one day we will have all versions downloadable and there will be cheap software available that will allow us to slice and dice as we see fit. We could make our own versions of the movies, keeping what we like from the SE and dropping what we don't! sorta like the Phantom Edit circulating around.