PDA

View Full Version : Dear Hasbro, why did you screw up the Ep II 12 inch figures?

Mace Windex
08-04-2002, 11:40 PM
The title says it all.
Actually, my main complaint is the lack of Jedi Robes on these figures. For $20 a pop they SHOULD come with them. Anakin definately needs his. And Obi-wan wore his Jedi robe for most of the film! C/mon Hasbro!!! Spend the few extra cents!!
What's with MAce Windu's eyes? Is he Chinese? The Episode I version is much better!

MAce

Raiden
08-05-2002, 12:58 AM
I agree totally here. Hasbro could've done a whole lot better here. With todays market, cheap is not the way to go. Cost cutting is not the way to go. For the price they are asking for these things, one would expect these figures to be top notch. The likenesses are horrible (sans Jango and Dooku) and as anyone can see, they are collecting alot of dust on the shelves. For the fans who are collecting these 12" scale figures, there is a level of quality that needs to be met.
The accessories are mild.........lightsabers are good, I will say that. The outfits.....eh, could be better. Like Mace Windex says, where are the robes?? At least the Episode II figs came with their robes.
What about these likenesses? I thought Hasbro was using real scan for these things?? Take Obi Wan. He does NOT look like Ewan McGregor. Paint his hair black, he looks like 'Al' from "Home Improvement"(TV show). I won't even address Anakin or Zam.

C'mon Hasbro. I am glad you finally realized that the GI Joe "HOF" bodies you have been using are the worst insult to Star Wars collectors you could have made. Now you are using the newer bodies with poseablilty. Guess you finally saw that almost EVEVRYONE was already doing that themselves.

We are a very precise collector. We like accuracy, along with attention to details. Make us happy, then you will see more $$$. Better scale. Better likenesses. Look at other companies like Dragon and BBi. They can do it. It costs more, but most of us are willing to pay it. I know I am.

I am eagerly waiting for Plo Koon......he should look good, plus there is no likeness to screw up really. Doing the Jedi Council could make you a fortune, or if done badly, could ruin your business. Do it right folks.

My two cents.

Mace Windex
08-05-2002, 01:12 AM
I do have to mention that I am 100% satisfied with Ki Adi Mundi in 12 inch form! The detail is fantastic and he even seems to be in proper proportions. Also, Ki is never seen wearing Jedi robes as his "robe" is built in to his regular outfit.
Ki and Jango are the only two accurate (although Jango's head is a bit large) EP II 12 inch figs so far. Can't wait to see Dooku though.
MAce
PS Anyone notice that the saber hilts are larger on EP II figs?

mini-rock
08-05-2002, 02:13 AM
Anyone notice that the saber hilts are larger on EP II figs?

Yeah, I noticed that. I also agree on the robe issue, but I'm sure the rest of the council will have'em.

Master Goeweins
08-05-2002, 09:19 PM
I think this sentiment has been expressed by all the 12" collectors in various threads! Why, Oh Why did they not include the robes? This seems almost like the most obvious necessity for the Jedi. I mean, ever since the first time we saw Obi Wan in ANH, it was all about the robe!

Hasbro should make up for this by selling an accessory pack of robes for Mace, Windu, and Obi. And start including them for the rest!

It Is All About the ROBES!

...and a little bit of lightsaber.....

JEDIpartner
08-05-2002, 10:44 PM
I just pulled the robe off of my EPISODE I Obi-Wan and slapped it on my AOTC version. I also repainted his face and it looks a heck of a lot more like Ewan. I am now pleased...

Mace Windex
08-06-2002, 12:09 AM
Do you have any pics to share of your repainted Obi-wan? What kind of paint do you use?

MAce

JEDIpartner
08-06-2002, 02:17 PM
I'll have to get some pics of it... The eyebrows are really the part that clinched it. Ewan's got that furrow and arch thing going on.

I used a vinyl paint that you can get at craft stores. People use them to paint the craft doll heads, so it was perfect.

Adrian Smith
08-09-2002, 08:11 PM
I too believe that Hasbro messed up the 12" line for AOTC, my main argument is where is Yoda, and as most people have said where are the Jedi robes, Obi Wan's from ep1 looks ok on the AOTC figure but the colour is off and I am trying to get a good photo of Anakin in his so I can make one for his figure. My only hope as someone who collects only the 12" figures is that Hasbro and I hope they are listening do an Anakin on Swoop with robe, and an Obi Wan as Jedi pilot with robe and headset and of course a new Yoda. I would definitely like to see more AOTC 12" figures.

TheFrankEinstein
08-10-2002, 07:37 AM
That's what we need are robes. They'd do so much for the line, and yet they're so little (not a pun). And maybe someone could show Mace Windu one of those Feed the Children commercials so he'd quit that goofy GRINNING. GEEZE. I'm in the (ill-advised, if you've seen my processes ;)) process of painting my Mace's eyes so that maybe the grin looks more maniacal and creepy than moronic and embarrassing. Hope it works.

Raiden
08-11-2002, 03:13 PM
Anyone that wants an Episode II Mace, just buy the Ep I Mace. The only difference is the lightsabers. I bought both........and I am selling the nude Ep II Mace to a collector who collects AA famous figures. I am keeping the outfit, and correct lightsaber. I just swapped out the correct outfit, and the lightsaber.
Yes, a little more money, but Ep I Mace looks more like Samuel Jackson than that crap out now.

Possibly great figures they runied this year: Obi Wan, Mace, and Aragorn from LOTR.
Only decent figure: Dooku.

TheFrankEinstein
08-11-2002, 04:01 PM
I thought that about the Episode 2 Mace Windu, but I just finished the customizing job described above and now he doesn't look so bad. When I find my freaking camera drivers, I'll put a picture up in the customizer's forum.

I am getting an Episode 1 Mace too, though, if for nothing other than the robe, and to compare heads. Hopefully I'll be able to combine the two Maces and an Elite Force Body Builder body (whose head already looks like Sam Jackson's) and make a passable Windu.

mini-rock
08-11-2002, 10:18 PM
I must be the only one who really like s EP2 Mace. Other than the missing robe I see no problem with him.

Doc Brown
08-13-2002, 12:35 AM
yeah, I think the Episode 2 Mace is not bad. I think they got his nose right this time. Maybe if he didn't have the happy grin on his face he would be better....of course, maybe it's the satisfaction smile of beheading a bounty hunter. who knows. ;)

Jayspawn
08-13-2002, 01:12 AM
Yes the 12" figures definatly needed robes. I'm glad Count Dooku seems to be coming with his cape at least.

Doc Brown
08-13-2002, 12:07 PM
whenever I feel the need to complain about the new 12" Ep 2 figures all I have to do is think about "emaciated chewbacca" from 12" Han Endor wave and realize it could have been worse... *CRINGE*, get that poor wookie a sandwich!

TylerD
08-14-2002, 05:46 AM
LOL Doc Brown!

I saw the Clonetrooper today at Wal-mart, and noticed that each segment of his armor is a different shade of white. Is it supposed to be this way?

DeadCanDance
08-14-2002, 08:46 AM
Yes, I agree, the EP II 12" human figures SUCK! Mace especially looks terrible, and what's with the grin/scream expression on his face? He never had this expression in the film (the small EP II Mace Windu figures have the same STUPID expression)! It reminds me of the similar expression some the EP I Qui-gon's had - screams,
expressions of rage/pain, etc. Very UNLIKE the film.

And, I agree that the lack of robes is cheap on Hasbro's part - Anakin, Mace, and Obi-wan should've all come with the brown robes. I also agree the EP I Mace Windu is 100% better than the EP II version - it looks a lot more like the actor, plus it comes with the robes. This is despite the EP I Mace was hardly in the film as opposed to the character in EP II....

Here's hoping the non-human characters they do in the EP II line look better (Plo Koon, etc.) - the prototype of Dooku looks good; let's hope the final product looks as good...

Doc Brown
08-14-2002, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by TylerD
LOL Doc Brown!

I saw the Clonetrooper today at Wal-mart, and noticed that each segment of his armor is a different shade of white. Is it supposed to be this way?

Yeah I heard about the whitle clone troopers and the different shades of white. It's a manufacturing error. I noticed they seem to be mainly at Walmart. yuck. Glad I picked mine up at Target when they first came out. Must have been a bad day in China.

TheFrankEinstein
08-14-2002, 10:06 AM
There now, I finally got my customized Mace posted in the Saga customs thread. I rather like the figure now. I think with the grin and the new eyes he looks sort of arrogant (Samuel L. Jackson arrogant? Naw!).

I've looked all over the place, but have been unable to find anyone who sells homemade 1/6th scale robes. You'd think somebody with sewing talent would have taken it upon himself to clothe our Jedi on eBay or something. Too bad we can't look forward to an official 1/6th accessory pack with a robe and a lightsaber (Anakin needs two, dang it!).

mini-rock
08-14-2002, 12:07 PM
Anakin needs two, dang it!

YES! Maybe he could also have a detachable arm too.

Mace Windex
08-14-2002, 02:43 PM
Where is your MAce picture? How about posting a link here. I can't find it.
Mace

TheFrankEinstein
08-14-2002, 04:39 PM
Sure thing.

Picture 1 (http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/teahouse/western/mace.jpg)

Picture 2 (http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/teahouse/western/mace_b.jpg)

My digital photography isn't so hot yet, sorry.

I got a close up of the head, and, I think, a full-body shot illustrating the pose I imagined would go with the new eyes. Kind of a "come get some" sort of deal, and I put an Obi Wan robe on him just because. I've got to say I felt a little silly out in the back yard posing and taking pictures of him :)

IG65
08-14-2002, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by TheFrankEinstein
I've got to say I felt a little silly out in the back yard posing and taking pictures of him :)

Haven't we all?:)

BTW, great job on the repaint. He looks *much* better.

Mace Windex
08-14-2002, 10:28 PM
He does look better. We need a before and after shot. Do you have one?
That is an obi-wan cloak? IS it from an OLD obi-wan doll or an Episode !? It looks strange to me. Looks nice on Mace though.

Mace

TheFrankEinstein
08-15-2002, 01:07 PM
Unfortunately I didn't have the foresight to take a 'before' picture (I already kicked myself about it, though ;) ). And yeah, that's a '95 Kenobi cloak, the only one I've got (so far). It was an extremely simple repaint, and if I can do it anybody can.

Anyway, thanks for the comments, guys.

Mace Windex
08-22-2002, 11:46 PM
What else did Hasbro mess up on these new figures? Anyone else have a comment?

MAce

mini-rock
08-23-2002, 04:02 AM
Hmmmm! How about the wrong color guns for the Clonetroopers. Doesn't bother me though.

Obi-Wan's lips are a little to pink also.

Oh! Did I mention the robes? ;)

maulrat22
09-16-2002, 08:42 PM
The jedi 12" figures look incomplete withoout their hooded cloaks. I wonder why Hasbro didnt include them in, they would look a lot better with them. Frankly, in dissapointed in Hasbro with the 12" line except for Jango.

derek
09-16-2002, 09:21 PM
the only reason i can think of is that hasbro is looking to save some money. i don't know how many of each figure are made, but it's bound to add up over a while.

i don't so much mind that obi-wan and mace don't have robes, since their episode 1 robes will do, but anakin has a different robe, with no sleeves, which makes it unique.:)

i still think we'll get an anakin with robe on a swoop bike before episode 3 is released.:)

Master Goeweins
09-16-2002, 10:42 PM
Robes, robes, robes!
We needs the robes!

Yeah, I thought about this in April when they came out. And once I saw Anakin's cloak, man what a loss. I am going to custom make some, but I would have rather paid an extra $3 or $4 for one from Hasbro.

mini-rock
09-16-2002, 11:44 PM
DEJAVU! I swore there was a thread about this very subject already. :confused:

Well, since Dooku came with a cape, and Ki-Adi came with his version of a robe, I think there is still hope we could see something from Hasbro in the near future.

edit - I guess we've merged. :)

Clowntrooper
09-18-2002, 07:48 PM
The clothes are very accurate - two-ply right now. I don't cry for underwear. Don't cry for overwear.

Master Goeweins
09-18-2002, 11:48 PM
Robes don't just cover from the rain... they make the man. While underwear go unnoticed from the casual viewer, robes demand attention. A necessity in the Jedi figure. It is okay to leave off of a 3 3/4" figure for arena accuracey. Variations based on clothing changes so simple would be too costly and a waste. But, 12" figures can be dressed and undressed by the collector. So... Hasbro should give us the robes and let us choose how to display them. Anything less is cheating the dedicated collectors.

Mace Windex
09-19-2002, 11:36 AM
Why is it Hasbro can sell a more detailed GI JOE doll for $7.99 and we have to pay $19.99 for a less detailed Star Wars figure?

IG65
09-19-2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Master Goeweins
Hasbro should give us the robes and let us choose how to display them. Anything less is cheating the dedicated collectors.

Here, here, Master Goeweins! Here, here!
Not only do the robes make the man, they definitely make the Jedi!

DarkArtist
02-11-2003, 10:51 PM
Just came from the Toys R' Us in Woodbridge NJ, They had the new 12" Anakin and Padme as well as the Geonsian Warrior.

Padme looks like a glorified Barbie but extremely out of proportion. Her head looks like a giant walnut on a Barbie body. :cry: :cry: :cry: Had high hopes for this figure since the past 12" of Padme and Queen Amidala were pretty damn good. Oh well, leave it to Hasbro to ruin something good.:mad: :mad:

Anakin makes Primal Scream Mace Windu look like an exceptional figure. Comes with two lightsaber, a removable arm with replacment droid arm. Costume looks better than the first yet it all comes down to the face, Hi can we say :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

The Geonsian Warrior from what i saw looks somewhat decent, some big collector guy was holding six of each character, had the last one.

If this is what Hasbro has in store for the rest of the Saga 12" line, they will have alot of left over product.:( :( :( :( Hasbro needs a new revamp team and someone who knows what we the fans crave.:frus: :frus: :frus:

Banthaholic
02-11-2003, 11:13 PM
Can you say, soon to be moved to the 12" section...

derek
02-11-2003, 11:29 PM
The Geonsian Warrior from what i saw looks somewhat decent

the geo warrior is awesome. it actually looks like a minature from the film. but you're correct, the other two are really bad. i'd love to have a meeting with the people in charge of hasbro's 12 inch line. it's almost like they are trying to kill the line.:confused:

OC47150
02-13-2003, 03:12 PM
I've noticed the last wave or two of 12" figures hasn't sold as well as previous lines. The shelves at my local TRU are overstocked with figures.

I agree with DarkArtist: Padme looks like a glorified Barbie doll and the head is out of proportion with the rest of the body.

Lman316
02-13-2003, 05:03 PM
With the 12" line, I've been using my discretion and picking and choosing which ones look decent.
That being said, I only own two 12" figures. One being Dooku and the other being Ultimate Villian Jango Fett. Both of these are very good, IMO, but they do have their problems.

I had never wanted to collect the 12" before these figures, so I guess that's saying something about where the line is going. But I do agree that a lot of the new ones look like crap, and that's sad to say. I mean, at that scale, there shouldn't be very many problems with likenesses, yet there are (like the Padme you're mentioning).

I'm only going to buy a few more myself, like Plo Koon, Ki-Adi Mundi, and the KB Clone Troopers. But I really don't think I'll be going any further than that. And with current 3 3/4" releases, I'm starting to adopt that position. Hasbro's gotta turn something around...

End...

OC47150
02-13-2003, 05:09 PM
I, too, am discrete when it comes to purchasing the 12" line. I've picked up all of the Leias (excluding the bounty hunter Leia but I will get when it becomes more available), Obi Wan and other ones that look cool. I wish I'd bought the first three bounty hunters, just 'cause they're different.

RooJay
02-13-2003, 05:13 PM
I completely agree, but let me add this:

Old 12" = Garbage

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - the Star Wars license deserves far better treatment in the 1/6 scale format than Hasbro has ever given it. These could be much bigger sellers than they are if Hasbro would just put a little effort into them as far as articulation, detail, quality, and especially accuracy. Compare them with any other 12 inch figure line and tell me you don't see a problem here.

Dar' Argol
02-13-2003, 09:30 PM
This has been moved to the 12' section:)

tagmac
02-13-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by DarkArtist
The Geonsian Warrior from what i saw looks somewhat decent, some big collector guy was holding six of each character, had the last one.

Collector guy.....HAH! What you saw was a scalper - no collector buys 6 each of the 12". Look for these on e-bay very soon.

Jayspawn
02-14-2003, 02:08 AM
The new Anakin and Padme look horrible. I was dissapointed as hell when I saw these at TRU. Hasbro blew these 2 big time. The headsculpts are soo bad. And Padme's body, what were they thinking? Even her belt looks terrible!

Turbowars
02-15-2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Mace Windex
Why is it Hasbro can sell a more detailed GI JOE doll for $7.99 and we have to pay $19.99 for a less detailed Star Wars figure? Because Hasbro owns the GI-Joe line (No license fee) and they pay Lucas millions for the SW license.

OC47150
02-17-2003, 08:22 AM
Although I haven't purchased him yet, the highest quality 12" figure I've seen is Dooku. Too bad Hasbro can't have all the 12" at that standard.