PDA

View Full Version : Doom 3

MikeAndTheBots
08-05-2002, 12:36 PM
My god, has anyone seen the latest video? It's probably 8 minutes long, nearly 85mb but it shows off the graphics. Its hard to believe how smoothly it runs being that the textures aren't images but rather INDIVIDUAL MODELS. I'm going to need a new PC just to run this on medium settings. Plus, Trent Reznor is doing the soundtrack so that's probably going to be better than Q3's...

JediDan
08-05-2002, 02:38 PM
Any idea what the minimum requirements are to play Doom 3? How about the recommeded requirements?? I'm getting a new computer soon and I want to make sure I get one that will easily handle Doom 3. :)

MikeAndTheBots
08-05-2002, 03:11 PM
Jeez, I have no clue. Carmack said the computers they were showing it off on at E3 were only on medium settings since high was a bit unstable. I'm guessing at least 1.4ghz processor, 512 mb of ram, and a very new video card. I'll edit or post a new thing if I get some more info on an idea of how good a PC you'll need...

robman71
08-05-2002, 03:13 PM
Yay! Another game that will push my system to the limits and FORCE me to upgrade!

JediDan
08-05-2002, 04:14 PM
Yeah I've been checking around a little bit but haven't found out what the requirements are. I plan on getting at least a 2.0Ghz computer with a 128meg GeForce 4 card, so I should be ok then hopefully.

MikeAndTheBots
08-05-2002, 10:15 PM
That should be good, I asked a friend of mine who knows a lot about gaming and technical stuff and he says:

AMD XP 1800+
ASUS A7V333 or A7S333 motherboard
512MB PC2700DDR
GeForce 4 Ti4200
ATA100 Hard drive

He said that will run it smoothly on medium detail. You seem set JediDan.

JediDan
08-07-2002, 04:28 PM
Whoah 500+megs?? Whew thats alot of ram. Is the Athlon XP chip better for gaming than the Pentium 4?? That's another thing I might have to take into consideration. Hey thanks for the help Mike&theBots. :)

MikeAndTheBots
08-07-2002, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by JediDan
Whoah 500+megs?? Whew thats alot of ram. Is the Athlon XP chip better for gaming than the Pentium 4?? That's another thing I might have to take into consideration. Hey thanks for the help Mike&theBots. :)
Well, I personally prefer AMDs to Pentiums but that's just me. I think Carmack (programmer of such monumental Id games as Doom, Doom 2, Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3, and now Doom 3) said in an interview they were designing the game (Doom 3) for use with an AMD chip and whatnot, and they were using them in the development. Not sure if that answers your question about games in general but I think Doom 3 might run a bit better on an AMD. I doesn't matter though, the difference would be very very slight...

robman71
08-08-2002, 08:35 AM
I have to agree with Mikeandthebots. While I prefer Intel Chips, the difference between the two companies is negligible. You may be able to pull out 2 or 3 fps, with one or the other, but does that really matter. I see a fast video card and lots of memory as paramount to most games these days. BTW I am running a P4 1.4 with a GeForce 4 Ti4200 and 512MB or RDRAM and I have yet to find a game that slows down to where I can't play it.

JediDan
08-08-2002, 02:34 PM
Thats's reassuring news to hear Robman. So if a P4 1.4 works great than a P4 2.+ should work great for the newer games. I can't wait to play Rollercoaster Tycoon on my new upcoming computer. Whenever I would get alot of things happening on screen at once the game would slow down horribly to where I would have to pause the game just so I could scroll the screen. :rolleyes: Now if I only had the money to buy an ALienware computer. :D

scruffziller
08-19-2002, 06:27 AM
I heard it is not coming out till March 2003.

MikeAndTheBots
08-19-2002, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
I heard it is not coming out till March 2003.
Its not out for a whil, March 2003 seems plausible. They're no-where near done with it yet...

DeadEye
08-19-2002, 01:38 PM
There's something you guys need to know.
All the images and videos we've seen of Doom3 were run on systems so advanced and state-of-the-art that they won't be out for another six months at least. What's more terrifying is that the game was barely running on these systems...and what's most terrifying of all is that everything we've seen of Doom3 so far has been at low 640x480 or 800x600 resolutions, at low to medium texture detail! :eek:
Carmack has said that a GeForce3 or 4 will give you 20FPS at best. And even with the most advanced system available at the time of release, he predicts the game will run at no better than 20FPS.

MikeAndTheBots
08-19-2002, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by DeadEye
There's something you guys need to know.
All the images and videos we've seen of Doom3 were run on systems so advanced and state-of-the-art that they won't be out for another six months at least. What's more terrifying is that the game was barely running on these systems...and what's most terrifying of all is that everything we've seen of Doom3 so far has been at low 640x480 or 800x600 resolutions, at low to medium texture detail! :eek:
Carmack has said that a GeForce3 or 4 will give you 20FPS at best. And even with the most advanced system available at the time of release, he predicts the game will run at no better than 20FPS.
I forgot to mention that...

Yeah, I think Carmack has flipped his lid on this one. I mean in a good way....I think....

DeadEye
08-19-2002, 01:58 PM
Yeah...they're not just pushing the envelope on this one, they're licking and mailing it!

Quake 3 was the last big increase in gaming technology. Ever since then, for the past 3 years there have only been incremental hops. Doom3 is the next leap. :D

MikeAndTheBots
08-19-2002, 02:33 PM
Yeah...they're not just pushing the envelope on this one, they're licking and mailing it!

Quake 3 was the last big increase in gaming technology. Ever since then, for the past 3 years there have only been incremental hops. Doom3 is the next leap. :D
Next leap? This is like next flight. If quake 3 was a step, Doom 3 is like taking the bus accross the country. The videos are just amazing. I'm still going to need a new PC when it comes out though which sucks majorly...

DeadEye
08-19-2002, 02:41 PM
Not necessarily. This game may look hella better than anything out right now, but it's not any bigger leap than Quake3 is. All the features in Doom3 have been out for over a year now...this is just the first game to actually use them. :p

Id has always done the leaps. Id made Doom--that was the first leap. Quake was the next leap, and was the game that people bought their very first video cards for. It was the first game that was truly 3D. Quake 2 was the next leap, introducing us to the beauty of OpenGL. Then came Quake 3, the next leap, with all sorts of new features and the switch from pixels to polygons, and rendering with triangles rather than squares.

And believe it or not, the models in Doom3 actually have very low poly counts, only about 1,000 polygons each. (Soldier of Fortune 2, the best-looking game out now, has 3,000 polygons per model.) What they did for Doom3 to make it playable was having the 1,000 polygon models. But what they did for each model was make a very high-res model of roughly a million polygons, and took the lighting and textures and bump-mapped them onto the 1,000 poly models. And it is literally impossible to tell the difference!

scruffziller
08-31-2002, 09:17 AM
Not necessarily. This game may look hella better than anything out right now, but it's not any bigger leap than Quake3 is. All the features in Doom3 have been out for over a year now...this is just the first game to actually use them. :p

Id has always done the leaps. Id made Doom--that was the first leap. Quake was the next leap, and was the game that people bought their very first video cards for. It was the first game that was truly 3D. Quake 2 was the next leap, introducing us to the beauty of OpenGL. Then came Quake 3, the next leap, with all sorts of new features and the switch from pixels to polygons, and rendering with triangles rather than squares.

And believe it or not, the models in Doom3 actually have very low poly counts, only about 1,000 polygons each. (Soldier of Fortune 2, the best-looking game out now, has 3,000 polygons per model.) What they did for Doom3 to make it playable was having the 1,000 polygon models. But what they did for each model was make a very high-res model of roughly a million polygons, and took the lighting and textures and bump-mapped them onto the 1,000 poly models. And it is literally impossible to tell the difference!
No don't forget, Wolfenstein 3D first then, the leap to DOOM!!
Doom for me was a boot camp for Wolfenstein.
Don't forget Return to Castle Wolfenstein out now too!!!

DeadEye
08-31-2002, 10:36 AM
Wolfenstein 3D was the premier first-person shooter but it wasn't truly 3D. Doom was the game that got everyone talking.
And yeah, Return to Castle Wolfenstein has been out now for a while. Soldier of Fortune II is more advanced technologically.

Nexu
08-31-2002, 12:14 PM
This is going to be an OK game, but UT 2003 will be much better. DM Football? Sweet. :D
AMD Chips are much better. I've said this a few times before. P4's are very inefficient. (P3's are more efficient than the P4's are.) They run at a higher clock speed though, so it doesn't mater as much. AMD's are very efficient. They run slower, but overall, they process information, faster.

DeadEye
08-31-2002, 12:45 PM
Dude! Everyone knows that AMD is better than intel! :D
And you think UT2003 is a better game? My goodness...I wonder what you've been smoking.
I guess you're one of those trips that thinks deathmatching in the same level over and over again is somehow superior to a rich single-player experience...:rolleyes:

Nexu
08-31-2002, 03:40 PM
Bah.

DeadEye
08-31-2002, 04:47 PM
Bah? Talk about your post-padding.
I am right, of course. You can have single-player: A rich story providing a motive and brilliance behind the action, with well-written characters and voice acting, like living a movie.
Then there's multiplayer:
Running around the same level and killing the same idiots, over and over again. Not to mention the fact that 1 in 3 players cheat. :frus:

QLD
08-31-2002, 05:00 PM
You are right in your opinion!

Remember, the glass is half full or half empty. It's a matter of perspective.

Some people like to interact and play with other people, which makes it a better experience than single player. Therefore they will like multi-player games better. That only makes sense.

Personally, I like both!

And why insult him because he likes a certain game?

DeadEye
08-31-2002, 06:37 PM
I wasn't insulting him. I simply found it awkward how he brashly claims that yet another deathmatch game will be superior to the most revolutionary game of all time.

rynobot
08-31-2002, 06:40 PM
deathmatchs stink, team fortress and capture the flag are the best.

QLD
08-31-2002, 06:47 PM
Well, you asked what he was smoking. Anyway.......

And I seriously doubt Doom 3 will be the most revolutionary game of all time. It's a sequel. It's all been done before. It's just going to look prettier. Not very revolutionary. It does have excellent graphics though.

DeadEye
08-31-2002, 07:25 PM
Team Fortress is okay, although it doesn't appeal to me.
Capture the Flag is no better than deathmatch!
And Doom3 will be revolutionary technologically as well as gameplay-wise...it models the whole planet of Mars! There's one bit where you're in orbit of the planet and the distance is so great that the programmers had to rewrite the math on their computers! :D
And it will be the freakin' scariest game ever...right now, that place is torn among The Thing, Aliens vs. Predator 1 and 2, and Clive Barker's Undying.

Herby
08-31-2002, 09:19 PM
Doom 3 versus Unreal Tourney is a nonbattle. They are different games. It's like people trying to decide which is better, solitaire or poker, it depends on your mood. If you want a real battle, it will be Doom 3 versus games with a single player experience, like the Thing. Graphics do not mean everything, and although Doom3 looks very nice, it must prove it has a game to back it up. Many games in the past have been wonderful technological showcases, with limited gameplay underneath. I'm still unsure about a Doom game that focuses on fighting one or two villans at a time. I wish they have saved the Doom name for something more inline with the original releases, which were simply pure fun and adrenaline and maybe given this new survival horror type of creation a different backdrop independant of the name Doom.

Edited to add a technical note:
I believe that it was said that the game was running off of an unreleased ATI video card of some type, possibly the newest incarnation of the Radeon.

DeadEye
08-31-2002, 10:32 PM
Yes, I had posted that fact already about the video cards... Radeon is not the superior card, however.

And if you want a modern-graphics version of old-style Doom gameplay, then for crying out loud, play Serious Sam! :D

scruffziller
09-01-2002, 11:16 AM
Wolfenstein 3D was the premier first-person shooter but it wasn't truly 3D. Doom was the game that got everyone talking.
And yeah, Return to Castle Wolfenstein has been out now for a while. Soldier of Fortune II is more advanced technologically.

Are you saying that DOOM 3 will be more advanced than Soldier of Fortune?

Actually Wolfenstein 3D had alot of people here talking. I didn't see DOOM being sold till spring of '94. When I saw the shareware cover the first thing that came to my head was, "MAN this is a cheap knockoff of Wolfenstein.

DeadEye
09-01-2002, 11:50 AM
Doom came out in '93.
And Doom was the game that got people talking. Wolfenstein 3D is not without merit or an important place in FPS history, but Doom was the real big boy. Besides, you can't really dis either one since they're both by id...:D

Nexu
09-01-2002, 09:49 PM
It was one of the new nFORCE's. The card was a very early version, and they couldn't get the drivers to work properly, so it would only run in medium detail mode.

Personally, I'm not that impressed with Doom III. Decent graphics, but meh. I played Doom II for wuite a while, just a few months ago, because of the gameplay. UT is better in my opinion though. You may get bored running around, and shooting people, but I love it. Gimme a Turbo CTF in Hall of Giants with Pulse Arena and Volitile Ammo on, and I can play for hours. UT 2003 has a completeley new death animation engine. If you die while on stairs, it shows you falling down the stairs. If you are walking and you die, it will look different than if you are running and you die. I can't wait.

DeadEye
09-01-2002, 10:36 PM
Actually...I didn't know about the death animation system! Sounds great! :D
Now if only Epic would get around to releasing the demo they say will be released in 2 weeks...and they say that every two weeks!

Nexu
09-01-2002, 10:38 PM
It was supposed to be out a while ago...

That Death Animations engine is working, on the newest leaked demo. The newest demo is ~900~ megs, and extracts to 4 Gb.

DeadEye
09-02-2002, 07:28 AM
Have you read UT2003's official system requirements? It lists 3GB of hard drive space!!!

Nexu
09-02-2002, 04:42 PM
I'm sure it will be shrunk, to fit the req.

scruffziller
03-27-2003, 02:14 PM
Well bad news guys, DOOM 3 has been pushed back to November 1st.:( :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :( :cry: :dead:

sith_killer_99
03-27-2003, 08:07 PM
What? This is not good.:eek: :mad:

Boba Rhett
03-27-2003, 11:55 PM
Oh well. Gives me more time to upgrade. :D ;)

I'm not even sure if I'm going to get it. The way it's MP works is horrible. :(

Anakin2121
03-28-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
Well bad news guys, DOOM 3 has been pushed back to November 1st.:( :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :( :cry: :dead:

That's sad news...
But where did you hear it? Id always said its release date was "When It's Done." Speaking of which, where is Duke Nukem Forever? They said DNF would be released before Unreal2, which has been out since the start of February... :D

scruffziller
04-01-2003, 07:13 AM
I went to go on the Best Buy website to get it and it says you could pre order and it said 11/1/03.

http://www.bestbuy.com/software/Detail.asp?m=1023&e=11213400

Anakin2121
04-01-2003, 01:56 PM
Well, that is sad news, but E-tailer release dates are always wild guesses. Never trust any release date that doesn't come from the developers themselves. :)
Besides, I've got nothing wrong with Id delaying this game if it means they're going to take their time on it and polish it, rather than rushing it out the door, buggy and plain. :p

scruffziller
04-01-2003, 05:58 PM
Yea I agree. But I definately know it didn't reach the supposed release date because it was yesterday.:p

DewMan37
05-01-2003, 04:23 PM
iD doesn't go by release dates...

They don't have much to show for this game at E3, they're holding back on it, so they can get it out the door, as soon as possible. I'm curious to see what QIV's going to be like...

BTW, this game isn't going to require too much of a system, I've had the year-old leaked demo running at full detail at 30-40 FPS constant, at 1024x768. Specs:

A7V8X
1800+
512 DDR-333 Crucial
Abit GeForce 4 Ti4200 64 Mb 4x w/OTES
Audigy
60 Gb Maxtor

Month old thread, my bad.

Lord Malakite
05-02-2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by DewMan37
Month old thread, my bad.

No problem. New posts are always welcome,regardless of how new or old the subject is.

scruffziller
05-02-2003, 07:47 AM
In fact that is how they want it here to use the subjects that are on the board already instead of creating duplicates.

DewMan37
05-02-2003, 08:27 PM
OK, cool, a lot of other forums get a little ticked if you bump old threads.

scruffziller
05-04-2003, 10:09 AM
Yea if a mod is aware that there is an old thread, and someone creates a new one they will usually merge them. I find it strange that other sites' boards don't do that. It gets alot easier if there is one thread for the same subject, less confusing. Plus all that duplicating would put some serious strain on their servers.

mrmiller
05-05-2003, 10:21 AM
I hear that Microsoft is pushing to get a 6 month exclusive rights to Doom 3 to appear only on Xbox. I'll try and find the link and post it. That might be a big reason why the PC has been pushed back yet again, ID may be finishing up the Xbox verision first.

=MATT=

DewMan37
05-05-2003, 04:42 PM
I've heard this a few times before. I doubt there's truth behind it, and even if there is, it won't happen.

scruffziller
05-06-2003, 09:56 AM
They sure better not make it only for the XBox!!!!!!

But if that is the case with consoles and they are making it for consoles I wonder if it will be out for GC??? But I wonder what which version will be better???? Console or PC???

mrmiller
05-06-2003, 10:03 AM
So far it's only comming out for Xbox and PC. Xbox is the only console that can handle Doom3's gmae engine- or so they say. Of course I read about all this on an Xbox site, so take it with a grain of salt. And it will be comming to both PC and Xbox, I just read that Microsoft is trying to bring it to Xbox before the PC for a 6 month exclusive- kinda like Halo was. I imagine if the Xbox version is closer to completion than the PC version, this would be good for ID. They could release it for Xbox, make some extra cash for the exclusive rights, and tweak the PC version and make it flawless.

=MATT=

Anakin2121
05-06-2003, 01:52 PM
???!!!!

So you're saying you'd enjoy a flawed Xbox version? There's nothing "wrong" with the game anyway. Technically and content-wise, the game's been done for months, they've been spending all of 2003 making tweaks and touch-ups.

No console besides the Xbox could handle Doom3's instense graphics and super-high polygon counts, unless the detail was severely lowered.
I sure hope they don't make this damn deal with Id. Doom3's one of the products that will save PC gaming, so I hope they don't sucker-punch us with this.
And it sure as hell wasn't a six-month wait when Halo ended up on Xbox first. The PC version's still not out one-and-a-half years later... :(

mrmiller
05-06-2003, 03:22 PM
I'm not saying I'd enjoy a "flawed" Xbox version. If the Xbox version is close to completion, but they still have quite a bit of work to do on the PC version, it would make good business sense to go ahead and let Microsoft pay you tons of $$$ for the 6 month exclusive. That way you can put the finishing touches on the Xbox version, then finish working on the PC version. It would probably be eaiser than working on both versions at the same time, hoping for a simultanious release.

=MATT=

Anakin2121
05-06-2003, 06:00 PM
I think it's a stupid idea.

We PC gamers have waited ten years for this game, and adding an additional six months would only add insult to injury.
Besides, if it were delayed until 2004, they'd probably ramp up the requirements even more (so it wouldn't be obsolete at the time of release) and so people paying hundreds of dollars worth of upgrades for this year's games, like Half-Life 2, would have to pay just as much next year to play Doom3 optimally.
Screw that! :frus:

mrmiller
05-06-2003, 07:40 PM
Let's just hope it doesn't turn out like Diakatana- Ugh :frus:

=MATT=

Anakin2121
05-06-2003, 09:47 PM
Agreed! Talk about death by overhype *cough*Episode I*cough*

:D

Boba Rhett
05-07-2003, 12:33 AM
Diakatana......

*weeps softly into pillow*

From what I here, D3's mp is already screwed over. You can only join a mp game at game startup. No joining mid game.

scruffziller
05-07-2003, 06:21 AM
Ah dang it.

Anakin2121
05-07-2003, 03:39 PM
Well, given how technologically advanced the engine is, I don't think it's totally implausible...

Also, you can only have 4 players in a match. :(

*sighs* At least Half-Life 2 is coming out even sooner! :D

scruffziller
05-08-2003, 10:57 AM
More Game footage

Best Buy Doom 3 (http://www.bestbuy.com/Software/promo.asp?m=1023&Cat=1028&sCat=3443&p=3443)

oh sorry this is the old movie sorry.

mrmiller
05-12-2003, 07:46 AM
USA Today has a new story on Doom 3 today (Monday 5/12 ). You can check it out here:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=680&ncid=680&e=1&u=/usatoday/20030512/en_usatoday/5148497

In the article it says, "For now for PC's only". So does that mean the Xbox version will be postponed until after the PC version? Or that's all that is being shown at E3 is the PC version? Or the reporter knows Jack about Video games?

=MATT=

Anakin2121
05-12-2003, 02:12 PM
The Xbox version will either be simultaneous or after the PC version, not before.

Anakin2121
05-14-2003, 06:38 PM
You can now view the E3 trailer. It's over two minutes long, and your jaw will be on the floor the whole time. :D You can download the lesser-image-quality Streaming version if you don't feel like registering (which is free). Doom 3 Trailer 1 - Direct Feed is what you want. :)

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/doom3/media.html

DewMan37
05-16-2003, 08:44 PM
http://www.planetquake3.net/download.php?op=viewdownloaddetails&lid=1616

Longer, and better quality.

Anakin2121
08-05-2003, 07:40 PM
Hey, I'm sorry to bump an old thread, but Doom3 has now been officially delayed until March 2004. :(

You can check a valid gaming news site like www.bluesnews.com for proof. :)

scruffziller
08-06-2003, 11:25 AM
Hey, I'm sorry to bump an old thread, but Doom3 has now been officially delayed until March 2004. :(

You can check a valid gaming news site like www.bluesnews.com (http://www.bluesnews.com) for proof. :)

Man, I guess they weren't kidding when they said, "It will be done when it is done."

DewMan37
08-08-2003, 08:30 PM
Beh. iD finishes games, they don't relase them early, then patch them a half of a million times.

scruffziller
08-09-2003, 02:53 PM
Beh. iD finishes games, they don't relase them early, then patch them a half of a million times.

Man I saw that new trailer on gamespot.com, can't wait for this game.
I like that Rammstein avatar you got DewMan.

Anakin2121
08-10-2003, 07:48 AM

Very true, but by the time this game is actually released, will its technology even be revolutionary anymore? It'll probably look dated!!

Daikatana, anyone? :)

mrmiller
08-11-2003, 02:19 PM
Let's just hope it doesn't turn out like Diakatana- Ugh :frus:

=MATT=

My thoughts exactly- way back in April! This game is never comming out is it? :dead:

=MATT=

scruffziller
12-31-2003, 10:19 AM
SCORE GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!:D

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is ready for pre-order. Release on 4/1/04

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051806885631&skuId=5383328&type=product

DewMan37
01-03-2004, 11:50 AM
It's been up for 'preorder' for weeks. This is a preorder, but a release date still isnt set in stone.

sith_killer_99
01-03-2004, 04:49 PM
Groan, I'm begining to think this thing is just an Urban Legend.

CooLJoE
01-03-2004, 11:04 PM
Nah, its going to come out.

ID isn't one to make vaporware.

BTW, ID already set a release date of February of 2004 and said Feb 27th for Xbox. So the 4/1/04 was just a bestbuy thought....and not a real date.

scruffziller
01-04-2004, 09:29 AM
Nah, its going to come out.

ID isn't one to make vaporware.

BTW, ID already set a release date of February of 2004 and said Feb 27th for Xbox. So the 4/1/04 was just a bestbuy thought....and not a real date.
So what exactly is vaporware?:p I have a thought, but want to hear a definition.

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1&product%5Fid=644930

This site says 5/3/04.:p

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/223988.asp

This site's preorder you get a cool collectible ministatue of the demon from the original game.

CooLJoE
01-06-2004, 08:02 AM
vaporware is software that never sees the light of day (it turns to vapor).

BTW, you gotta read the notes below the pre-orders those sites:

GameStop

Please note: id Software has NOT supplied a release date for this title. We will provide a date as soon as one is announced. Pricing listed is an estimate and is subject to change. You will not be charged more than the listed price.

EBGames

Note: The developer and publisher have not supplied a release date. The date and price listed are estimates only and are subject to change. You will not be charged more than the listed price.