PDA

View Full Version : UK found any new waves??

patchiswelsh
08-06-2002, 03:37 AM
UK found any new waves??

Perhaps Ki-Adi or teemto??

kdp100
08-06-2002, 11:38 AM
Yes, R2DToys have now got them both in stock, along with Tusken/Massiff, Endor soldier (beardless) and Lott Dodd.

Jek Porky 2002
08-06-2002, 03:19 PM
He's right, I couldn't believe it.

Anyway, A local store neer me has got in Ki-Adi Mundi, but nothing else, they always get figures in in dribs and drabs rather than in a wave.

kadamontaga
08-06-2002, 04:59 PM
Just to clarify:

The last saga figures widely released in the UK were Han, Obi, and Chewwy?
The last deluxe ones were Anakin and Nexu?

And we're expecting Teemto and Ki-Adi soon?

Thanks a lot

Jek Porky 2002
08-06-2002, 06:05 PM
That's about the jist of it, yes!

kdp100
08-17-2002, 02:24 PM
Forbidden Planet in London had the deluxe Yoda in stock today at £10.99, also deluxe Anakin for the same price.
They've got the Chewie wave (at last) for £7.99, and were also selling helmets of Clone Trooper and "Jango Fett" (acually Boba's colour but in Saga packaging) at £48.99 each.
Think I'll pass on those...

jedi_uk73
08-26-2002, 11:01 AM
Forbidden Planet in Southampton had in the deluxe Yoda @£10.99, was the last one so I grabbed it. Also the Nexu was in store.

Managed to get new Ki-Adi, Darth Maul & Anakin yesterday (Sunday) from Alf's toys in Worthing.

Also Portsmouth TRU had deluxe C-3PO, as with Southampton TRU, but both had all the usual old pegwarmer figures.

patchiswelsh
08-27-2002, 05:58 AM
Ephant Man is starting to turn up in Forbidden Planet shops!!!

kdp100
08-30-2002, 09:16 AM
Where did you hear that? Didn't think it's out even on general release in the US yet, judging by the lack of eBay auctions and so on!

Anyway, FP in London are now stocking Padme Pilot and Teemto, along with various new Unleashed (Anakin, Vader, Maul, Padme) and 12" (Super BD, Dooku) figures.

jedi_uk73
09-01-2002, 01:21 PM
Just managed to get hold of Teemto (looks cool).

Only need Padmè & Ephant Mon to complete current 46 now :D

Also found, but did not buy, the new Unleashed Vader, Padmè & Anakin.

Vader gets my vote on the best so far.

kadamontaga
09-01-2002, 02:32 PM
Where did you get Teemto jedi_uk73?

jedi_uk73
09-01-2002, 05:40 PM
I got Teemto from Alf's Toys in Worthing, W.Sussex, they also have the newer wave figs in ; Anakin (Tat Attack), Ki-Adi & D.Maul (Sith Training).

I've seen reports that Teemto has been showing up in TRU's, but I personally have not seem him there yet.

kdp100
09-06-2002, 08:07 AM
Last week's Padme and Teemto sold out at London's FP in no time - but they now have a few Tatooine Anakins and Sith Training Mauls. I expect they'll be gone by lunchtime tomorrow though.

jedi_uk73
09-07-2002, 07:32 AM
Just got myself Padmè Coruscant Attack, from Alf's Toys in Worthing yet again.

Only now need Ephant Mon to complete current 46 :D

kdp100
09-15-2002, 08:35 AM
Picked-up Jango & Clone pilot(s) from R2DToys on Friday - they should have a few previews of the deluxe clonetrooper, flipping Anakin, and hive Geonosian next week.

patchiswelsh
09-15-2002, 09:23 AM
Arena is shipping in US next week
so we will soon get it
I got reek from assortment from argos
i know not new but it is great to know acklay is out near all of us

kadamontaga
09-15-2002, 07:45 PM
Teemto and Ki Adi were at "Another World" in Derby on Saturday.
Midco Toys in Burton had the new Padme and Teemto for £5.99. They also had the POTJ deluxe figures for that price.

jedi_uk73
09-21-2002, 12:00 PM
Just picked up Lott Dod, Tusken w/Massiff & Watto from Alf's Toys in Worthing.

kdp100
09-27-2002, 04:40 AM
Found this yesterday lunchtime at London's Forbidden Planet, New Oxford Street, at the rather inflated price of £54.99.
There were about eight of them on the shelves.

gibbspaulus
09-27-2002, 08:30 AM
But hey - IT'S THE GUNSHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am going nuts waiting for my pre-order to arrive....

patchiswelsh
09-28-2002, 06:11 AM
When is the arena coming :(

jedi_uk73
09-28-2002, 08:32 AM
Arena has apparently been delayed for shipping to UK. Expect it to arrive mid-November.

kadamontaga
09-28-2002, 05:06 PM
Hasbrojedi posted something saying that the arena had been delayed.
My latest email from r2dtoys says they're gonna be selling the gunship for £35.
Someone on TPU reported that Ephant Mon is at TRU. Has anyone here found him?

kdp100
09-28-2002, 08:31 PM
Yes, R2DToys received several boxfuls of Ephant yesterday - picked mine up then for £7.
Forbidden Planet in London had half a dozen Ephants on their shelves around 4pm today (£7.99 each), but I noticed that the gunships I saw there on Thursday have all sold out now, so I expect Ephant won't hang around there too long.
Croydon FP had a few gunships in stock today, though, at the same price.

Yu_
10-07-2002, 05:41 PM
Ephant Mon made it into TRU in Newcastle, when I was there they had one but said they had more stuff to put out, I grabed mine from there, and they still had the 3 for the price of 2 thing going, Mon was only £5.99 but man is he BIG! the thing is huge!

I refuse to buy from Forbiden P. the prices are two high, I mean they charge £7.99 for stuff thats been marked down to £3.99 every place else. If you have a TRU anyplace neart by check them out and go in regulerly, the stock seems to change quickly.

Jargo
10-07-2002, 05:54 PM
Hey Yu, :) TRU have got their big promotion coming up in four to five weeks time and you know what that means huh, huh? silver R2-D2 that's what. keep your eyes peeled because the staff have been taking delivery of special promotional t-shirts ready for the big push. No idea what the minimum purchase price will be but it's getting close now eh? I reckon it'll coincide with the stock of republic gunships and arenas going out. buy that baby from TRU and get your R2. Anyone noticed a price ticket been added to the shelves yet? estimate on price would be what - 35? 40? I don't convert from dollars very well but I do know a lot of US prices translate directly into pounds. or close enough. The arena playset is going for something like 40 dollars so... it's all cool though.

Yu_
10-08-2002, 06:29 AM
I just hope silver R2 is out after I get paid.. other wise I might not be eating this month ;)

spanky
10-08-2002, 08:12 AM
Lol well get ya arse to r2dtoys as they now have the lil silver guy in stock for 23 squids, includes a starcase aswell ;).
http://www.r2dtoys.com/store/store.pl?action=new_products&id=209

Jargo
10-08-2002, 08:35 AM
Popcorn had a pre-order for this a while back for just £8. whether they'll actually have any to come through that cheap I don't know. be cooler than a stinky £23 though. I know, you'd most likely have to pay that much in order to get one free at TRU but if there's one going cheaper elsewhere I say go get. I've got a feeling these things will be coming out of our ears soon enough anyway. People will be paying us to take them off their hands.

Maybe that's too optimistic....

gibbspaulus
10-08-2002, 08:37 AM
My local Scalpers R Us has a few good, new figures in, but at £12 a pop they're staying on the shelf! Haven't been to the Entertainer for a few weeks but they seem to be churning out a good selection of the first thirty or so on a regular basis.

spanky
10-08-2002, 09:02 AM
I dont normally pay these sort of inflated prices, but it makes you wonder what the deal in the UK will be for the lil guy, I mean I know its a promotional give away, but how much are you going to have to spend to get one, could be more than £23, but then again could be less............you pays your money.......you takes your chance.(or something like that lol)

gibbspaulus
10-08-2002, 09:42 AM
Well, I'd like an announcement soon. If it's for the DVD then that's mistreating the customer. People will hold off pre-ordering it elsewhere just in case TRU make it the purchase he comes with.

Announce it now and let people choose.

spanky
10-08-2002, 10:10 AM
Something tells me we will hear something from the hasbrojedi site thingy very soon. Im just a bit worried bout r2dtoys as I have heard nothing but bad things about them, ie sending out figs in crap condition an takin orders for figs and not sending the goods out.

Jargo
10-08-2002, 02:31 PM
I heard a few bad things when they opened and even posted them here to my shame. I listened to bad rumours and chinese whispers across the net which seemed to me to stem from TPU and the way the webmaster banned John from advertising on the site. Now the webmaster of that site is happy to have John advertise which must mean the rumours were wrong after all. :rolleyes: but in all my dealings with R2DTOYS I haven't had a bad thing happen that was down to them. Royal mail late deliveries yes, but everything has been good conditionon arrival, and they've never shafted me on an order. If it was John I spoke to on the phone when I ordered the case full of Eopies a while back then I didn't get a sense of someone shifty and evil. he saved me money and I got a heck of a lot more bang for my buck. I was going to order one Eopie at cost - £30-ish. John offered me one case containing two Eopies, two Opees, one jabba with hex and Rex and one Kaadu for just $40-ish. I'd hardly say that was someone out to steal people's money.

Make up your own mind though. There's one thing I've learned about R2DTOYS though, if they say they'll have something then they do have it. As far as the silver R2 goes, the high price is only because it's a pre-release. Next month I bet the independent market is flooded with these things. shop around try and find a cheaper price. I do every time I order anything. I might be loyal in one sense but I also like a bargain ;)

U.K.BOY
10-08-2002, 04:14 PM
Having known and dealt with John for a few years now, I can honestly say that R2DToys is the best independent Star Wars dealer in the U.K.Fair prices and good and often early availability.

I would wholeheartedly recommend this dealer to you, although not too many of you since that was slow him shipping out my orders now wouldn't it !!!!.(just joking).

Feel free to ask any questions and I will give you an honest answer (I am not a dealer,just a private collector who is currently addicted to Star Wars and also Dragon Figures).

Cheers.

UKBOY.

jedi_uk73
10-08-2002, 04:48 PM
I have just placed my first order with R2dtoys.

Clone & Jango Pilot's.

Hopefully should get them soon, but from what I have heard, R2dtoys are one of the very best in the UK.

I have used Popcornlive & Entertainer before with no problems at all, although I have since found the same items cheaper elsewhere :(

So as of yet, I cannot personally comment on the service from R2's. So if what I hear is true, I WILL be using them more often.

kdp100
10-08-2002, 05:54 PM
I've been buying from R2DToys for about a year and they're definitely the best I've come across. (See separate thread in this section dedicated to this outlet.)
Their shop is just a couple of miles from where I live, so I buy directly from them rather than relying on the post or couriers.

Jargo
10-09-2002, 02:12 PM
I lived round the corner from turnpike Lane and Wightham road, in Crouch end, when I was at college down there, Know the area very well, pity I live up here again and have to pay the postage... :(:crazed:

spanky
10-11-2002, 05:01 AM
Well, still have not recieved my R2 yet, have to say Im getting quite impatient now. So I phoned up and asked if it had been sent yet............I spoke to THE most unhelpful person I have ever talked to, he didnt know, they have just changed warehouses(not my fault), if i ordered it on the 8th then it would have gone out then as they dont hold orders(well taint here taint), and that he gave me the impression it will turn up when it turns up!. Lol omg I should have listened to ppl when they told me bout this place............never ordering from there again..........v poor customer service........lol just answers the phone as "yea" I had to ask him if that was r2dtoys. *head in hands*. Oh and that ref number you get when you order products from their website doesnt do a thing, as I offered to give it to him and he ignored it.

***Rant over***

jedi_uk73
10-11-2002, 11:39 AM
Just recieved my new SAGA figs from R2dtoys.

Jango Pilot
Clonie Pilot
Ephant Mon

I cannot find the right words to say how good R2dtoys are.

FANTASTIC.

Excellent packaging, prompt deivery & great service.

Will definately be using them again, very soon.

Jargo
10-11-2002, 01:46 PM
I too got my colonetrooper pilots today all snug and secure and minty fresh in their lovely little package. I've give up stressing over stuff like deliveries. the vagaries of the British postal service these days is something to behold. I've had stuff on order with Toypalace in germany since june that still hasn't arrived. No point worrying over it unless you've sent a cheque - which I never do. Credit card payments with purchase insurance. I wouldn'nt ever send actual real money to a retailer I'd never met in person.

can't wait til John gets the star tours droids in. Gotta get me some droid action baby. Actually I'm holding out for R5-D4, I'll order the others but it's the R5 I got my heart set on providing it's not a re-issue of the POTF2 version.

spanky
10-12-2002, 09:03 AM
Panic over.............R2 arrived this morning :D
Check him out :D>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>My Little R2-D2 (http://www.aopv64.dsl.pipex.com/r2-d2.1.5.jpg)
A few more of my humble an small collection...................................
tiny weenie collection (http://www.aopv64.dsl.pipex.com/myfamilyandotheranimals2.jpg)
I tried keeping my evil LOTR figs out of frame but they were having none of it.
had to buy a new wardrobe for this lot. (http://www.aopv64.dsl.pipex.com/myfamilyandotheranimals3.jpg)
Ahhhhhhh go one then u twisted me arm........one more.
last but not least. (http://www.aopv64.dsl.pipex.com/myfamilyandotheranimals1.jpg)

U.K.BOY
10-12-2002, 11:25 AM
Nice to hear R2 has found his home .......

UKBOY.

r2dtoys
10-16-2002, 05:42 AM
Hello to all of you and thanks for taking the time to share with us your thoughts and experiences. We will occasionally visit the forums and if any of you at anytime have any questions or concerns at all, please contact us by email or telephone. We will always try to help.

Last week was a little unusual because we closed-shop and headed off to the SW FanClub show in Belgium, sponsored by teekay-421. During our absence, we still shipped orders but telephones were off and after a 4-day-leave you can imagine how many emails and messages we have to plug through....this was a little stressful to say the least ! On top of that we had relocated our warehouse so orders were in one place and physical product in another.....complicated ! But we got through it OK (even if we did lose a day).

This is our first post at SSG and it would have been nicer to be a more positive one.....but please understand that we had literally hundreds of silver R2D2 orders to mail, and because we do always mail the next day - there is little need to actually check order status. If we held them, or in some strange way had a more unusual shipping setup then I am the first to admit that we would then need to employ a follow-up system, but our shipping system is fool-proof. Order comes in, and the next day we ship it.

From there, we are all at the mercy of the Post Office. We too collect and buy from all over the World to fill gaps in our collection, and it is VERY annoying having to wait too long. We know this.....but the Post Office is a separate organisation and we really cannot control what they do. We always mail 1st class where possible - this means nextday delivery 90% of the time.

So here is a brief explanation of our order/processing cycle for you to consider:

1/ you place your online order and receive a confirmation email from our server with an ORDER NUMBER. At this time, the order number means nothing...it is simply a reference point. Later, when our integrated processing system is activated, this order number will be your invoice number and paramount to check/update any order. For now, it is idle.

2/ We print your order and create an invoice.

3/ We charge your card for stock items, and hold-over pre-orders until they arrive.

4/ We ship immediately, this may be the same day your order is made OR the next day.

5/ If your card number is invalid, or the card is declined, we will get back to the customer within 48 hours.

6/ If a customer asks if their order has shipped, we always reply YES because we always ship. WE NEVER hold orders UNLESS it is a pre-order. Therefore, it would be a total waste of time to check if we sent it when we already know from our day-to-day activity that we have. If we spend time checking, we lose time packing, so please understand that there is little need to check what we know had already been done, packing and shipping is far more important than checking (I am sure you all agree).

I hope that explains a little about the confusion with order numbers, it is a new add-on coming soon (along with login etc).

There are a lot of things happening here and we are extremely busy at present, and short-staffed. We will always help and we will always ship orders, please just ask if you are unsure.

Lastly, we did mention that we too are collector's and we want to make sure that you have a nice time at r2dtoys. Can you please suggest by direct email any areas that you would like or suggest being changed, improved, streamlined....any comments and suggestions will be handled discreetly and to the advantage of our customers. We are always trying to make things better. We have had a lot less time lately adding new items....the new-look website has taken presidence and we are working very hard to do a lot of jobs.

Many thanks,

John & the team.

gibbspaulus
10-16-2002, 06:27 AM
John,

Thanks for that. I think 90% of the people who've posted here about you guys have been overtly positive. It's nice to see a supplier people are not generally *****ing about, and one who provides a genuinely good service.

It's also nice that you have taken time out of what seems, currently, to be a madhouse of activiy to talk to your customers and explian where you are as a business right now.

Thanks again to you and the team.

Jargo
10-21-2002, 03:16 PM
I caught a wee glimpse of the new look website for R2Dtoys the other day and I have to say it's sweeeet! really slick looking. Hope it goes live soon though john. Green text on a black background really hurts :crazed: ;)

kadamontaga
10-21-2002, 05:25 PM
Changing the subject a little...
Would someone please go to Toys R Us in Derby and give the bald man who works on the action figures section a kick up the arse.
I would, but I'm a coward.

Where the hell is Ephant Mon? I don't care if its the bald man's fault or not, but I've taken a disliking to him. Kick kick kick.

Jargo
10-21-2002, 05:53 PM
Well.... Derby's a long way off........

:D

kadamontaga
10-22-2002, 04:33 AM
Seriously...
Last week me and my girlfriend stood and watched him open FIVE whole cases of figures and load them onto the shelves, and guess what they were?
Count Dooku
Chewie
Qui-Gon
Han
Obi Wan CC

What the hell!!?!?
And yesterday he put out an entire case of Dookus. There were already about 20 on the shelves!!
I don't care if it isn't his fault. He's a grumpy old git and I don't like him.

Jargo
10-22-2002, 05:08 AM
TRU send the newest stuff to the stores that yield the most returns. They have a league table of the better performing stores in an area and that's why some get more stuff than others. I'm trying to find someone who will let us in on which stores perform better than others to get a regional map of where it's best to go. One hint is to go to the stores in the more affluent areas sine kids in those aeas get more pocket money and their parents have more loaded credit cards ergo those stores will take more sales per annum and recieve the cream of the crop. But on top of that the stores are filling up with stuff that some may have missed because it's half term and we're headed toward christmas.
And if stuff wasn't shifting then individual managers will have been reluctant to put stuff out until the backlog of the older stuff went. Or it could be that those cases were at the back of the pile and they only just made it back there to retrieve them.
It's frustrating when you know there's new stuff out there and all that's out is same old same old but TRU are taking extra deliveries as christmas nears so regular visits are really the only answer. Annoying yes but TRU is really geared for kids and parents not collectors. And there's the policy that Hasbro has of sending stuff they want to sell not what the stores want to sell. If Hasbro over produces they substitute ordered cases for ones they want to shift. As TRU order in such large amounts as part of the contract with Hasbro they have no choice other than to take what arrives or just not reorder. Which sucks but by taking the poopy cases they still stock stuff which can only be a good thing and it means the better stuff will eek out eventually but not soon enough for us.

Just over at rebelscum and someone sent in a scan of the red battle droid with corrected packaging. Not the same as the white battle droid basic. So this means that's coming soon, probably with the destroyer droid and Endor rebel head variant. That's what I want now but we probably won't see those til December.
I ordered my Ephant Mon from Toypalace in Germany ages ago and finally got him yesterday. He's a monster, actually overscaled. Just huge but fantastic. Weighs a ton. Got the accessory sets and the cantina bar sets too which are cool but not anywhere near as good as Ephant. Think McFarlane toys detail and that's Ephant.
If you do see him then grab him fast, Diamond reckon there's only going to be a limited stock of him shipped to the UK as regular orders or something. As posted on good old TPU. But Diamond aren't always right.

Emperors_Hand_2211
10-22-2002, 07:01 AM
I have to chirp in with my two pennies worth. T'r'Us do have some f****d up shelf stocking system. I went in last night and noticed it's buy one get one half price on lightsabers.
When I checked the shelf they had no less than 35 Count Dooku lightsabers and not one of Obi or Anakin's. It's just bloddy stupid. Who's going to buy two of the same lightsaber.

kadamontaga
10-22-2002, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the info Emp Jargo. Very interesting.
Here's my updated plan...
1. Go to TRU everyday and look for Ephant Mon.
2. Eventually find Ephant Mon
3. Pick up 2.
4. Grab the rest off the shelves.
5. Follow the bald man around the store, always keeping one aisle between us.
6. Strategically throw spare Ephant Mons over the isle in an attempt to hit him. (The extra weight of Ephant will make him a more devastating projectile than some of the other figures)
7. Leg it, stopping to pay for the two Ephant Mons on the way out.

kdp100
10-22-2002, 09:55 AM
I gave up visiting my local TRU (Brent X) several weeks ago and just stick to the specialist shops now, or buying online.
Forbidden Plant in London had all 3 of the 1st wave of Cantina aliens in stock today, along with a new supply of Ephants and a couple of deluxe flying Geonosians.

Jargo
10-22-2002, 02:07 PM
Forbidden plant?

Forbidden plant "feed me seymore!"

Seymore "no, you already had six Ephant Mons. Go to sleep, I'm busy restocking with arena Padmes and thousands of these bloody Jango fetts..." :p

Went to Chester TRU today and was faced with an aisle long pile of unpacked boxes. Checked the labels and the count dooku fairy had been along sure enough. Also was kind enough to leave a million Mace Windu geo rescue figures... :rolleyes: hope the kids like mace Windu this week or those will still be there next autumn.

I think just one Ephant Mon would do to knock out the bald man. the weight of that figure is like a half charlie. drop it on your foot or have it fall of a shelf and you'll be sorry. :eek:

It's strange that after months saying I don't want any clonetroopers and them being everywhere, I ordered the gunship and got my pilots and now I can't find red clonetroopers anywhere at all. My local the entertainer had them a couple of weeks ago but none today. That Diamond UK retailer info report said that the clonetrooper had been cancelled by the distributor for the UK market. which means no more clonetroopers shipping in. odd when the gunship is due to hit retail anytime soon that there would be no troops to fill it with being shipped out too. Would have been the ideal time to sell all the backstock of them.
I was going to buy six and repaint them all white since the sneak preview version was dreadful and the deluxe version is too.

UPDATE: just found them in stock at popcornlive. ordered four since the price was £6.99. A little more than I wanted to pay but I'm impatient now, want to get the troops ready for when the ship arrives. I would have tried ARGOS but I detest those hellish places, always full of dropouts and the atmosphere is like something you'd expect in a prisoner of war camp. depressing with a capital depressing.

my work here is done.

kadamontaga
10-22-2002, 02:54 PM
" I would have tried ARGOS but I detest those hellish places" lol

I haven't seen any cloneys for a long time either. Just for everyone's information, TRU Derby has one or two preview Jangos still in stock.

What is it with Dooku at the moment? He's everywhere.

kdp100
10-22-2002, 03:27 PM
Ah, yes, well spotted - sorry about the typo! {ahem}:stupid:

Haven't seen any clones of any type on the shelves down here for a while - I'd assumed that army-builders were scooping them up. I've got enough to fit on the gunship now, so I'm happy to stop there.
If you want to add a bit of variety it's possible to do a leg-swap between the Sneak Preview and Saga troopers - it looks better if you remove most of the 'dirt' paint from the Preview figure with polish-remover and rub some of it over the cleaner bits of the Red figure.

Jargo
10-22-2002, 04:52 PM
I didn't get any preview clonetroopers because the detail on them was really sloppy, especially the helmet. If there were more floating around i was going to swap the body of the pilot with the red clonetrooper or deluxe. But then i discovered the neck on the pilot is too strange for a simple head swap. I'm not too skilled at sculpting so i may just stop at the six red clonetroopers and two pilots for the gunship, one scout clone on his speeder bike and hope they do a new basic all white clonetrooper next year some time so i can build up some ground troops. The red clonetrooper has the best articulation despite his pose. Looks excellent stood side on to the battle head turned to look over his left shoulder and clutching his rifle with both hands. A load of those and I'd be set. I'll just have to keep hunting. I knew I should have picked them up when they were everywhere though. But there was so much to buy at the same time it was a case of prioritising it all. I'm going to be stuck soon when the red battle droid comes out and imperial forces 4-pack and destroyer droid and....... just far too much for one year. Great that we had sop much to buy but too much really. I hope things slow down next year. For one thing if they continue shoving stuff out like they have, I'll have no room for anything. As it is I'm having to buy more shelving to accomodate next years vehicles and spread my displays out so they aren't so cramped up. And we've still got another movie to go yet!!! AY caramba.....

gibbspaulus
10-23-2002, 03:49 AM
Argh - Gunship ETA - 20th Nov........ I may go insane by then!

kadamontaga
10-23-2002, 06:10 AM
I blame the bald guy.

Jargo
10-23-2002, 06:58 AM
I think you should try and post a picture of the bald guy so we can all channel our hate and frustration at his image. We need a scapegoat and it looks like the bald guy is it :D

Update on the popcorn clonetroopers thing: got a call this morning from them, and i was asked whether I really wanted four or if it was a mistake. Over the course of the conversation it transpired that they were more than happy to up my order to six but they'd just wanted to make sure the order was genuine. turns out that when new items come into popcorn HQ they only allow orders for one of each item so that as many people as possible can get them. fair enough. after that on subsequent deliveries of same stock the orders can be for any number of a stock item. But large orders may be queried to check the authenticity of the customer and wotnot. trying to discourage scalpers see? I'm cool with that, never been one to go out buying up all the stock in one go even if I want large numbers of something. I tend to wait anyway to see who has what at the cheapest price. price being an issue when you want lots. Anyway, my six clonetroopers will be delivered tomorrow by parcelforce royal mail. Pity the gunship won't be around for them to joyride in. :(

So if the gunship is 20th November, the green A-wing is december and the shuttle is possibly not here 'til january, by the time we have all the stuff we order it'll be sandcrawler ordering time :D wonder how much that'll go for. No matter, next item on my agenda is the imperial forces 4-pack. that looks so sweet. I think i want two. A pair of those AT-ST drivers will look fab. Not sure what I'd do with a second EW vader though. Probably give it to the dog.... or the nephew :) Trying not to give star wars toys to the nephew since i saw what he did to the naboo fighter i got him. I was going to get him the geo arena for xmas but now i think i'll get him something I won't feel heartbroken about if he destroys it. perhaps spiderman stuff since that's going cheap everywhere. Would have said harry potter but he hates that speccy kid. "harry Potter is for girls" is what i think he said.....

gibbspaulus
10-23-2002, 07:18 AM
If he's gonna break it anyway why not get him a Hermione figure to destroy?

I got more stressed over the gunship delay and bought myself a talking Dalek to cheer myself up!

kadamontaga
10-23-2002, 10:16 AM
Jargo, I'll give you a few quid for the EW vader if you want. I probably won't get as much enjoyment out of it than your dog, but your dog's not offering to pay you.
As for the photo of the bald guy, he's not actually that mean looking, so it might just demean our group hatred. I think the words "grumpy old git" say more than a photo of him ever could. You'll just have to take my word for it.

As you might have seen on TPU today, I found Ephant Mon at 'Another World' in Derby!!! He was the only one and I snapped him up for £6.99.
I haven't decided whether or not to go ahead with the throw-heavy-toys-at-bald-man scheme yet, as I wouldn't really get anything material in return. Before at least I would have got a new figure, but that's been dealt with now. I think I'll wait till the R2 promotion before going back to TRU again.

'Another World' also had the Unleashed Count Dooku and Mace Windu for £19.99. I don't collect them but I have to say they looked rather good. I hope they do a Yoda next year.

And if there are any Simpsons collectors reading this, Another World have series 10 for £8.99 each. Nice to know I don't have to go to Midco Toys to get them.

kadamontaga
10-23-2002, 11:26 AM
I just opened Ephant. He's even better than I hoped. And I was damn hopeful.
I've attached a picture so you get an idea of his size out of the packet.

Also, I just remembered that in 'Another World' they had some sort of R2-D2 in the window. It was pretty big and priced at about £130, so I can only assume it was the interactive R2.

Jargo
10-23-2002, 03:02 PM
Yes interactive R2 is a whoppin fifteen inches from the bottom of his base to the top of his shiney shiney dome........

shouldn't have said that should I :rolleyes:

Glad you found Ephant, brilliant isn't he? :D falls over a lot though. I pulled his left leg forward and twisted his tail so it's behind the left leg and under the coat. gives him more stability on that side then. Shove his cane under his left hand also and he'll stay upright perfectly. Incidentally, if you twist his head right round you can see how hollow he is. loads of hollow places all over and he still weighs that much!

I've been enjoying my cantina bar sets. Greedo and old Greedo were chatting sat at the bar in front of my PC last night and today Momaw Nadon and old Momaw Nadon were there instead. Ponda Baba is being grumpy and doesn't want to talk to old Ponda Baba because he doesn't have knees.... The little drinks cups are cool, so small and teeny tiny 'get sucked up a hoover nozzle' sized. I binned the card backgrounds. Going to put Wuher in there for real come January anyway. Then I plan on merging both Jabba's palace and the cantina into one super casino style place. One long bar at the back and then gaming tables and a pole dancing area for Oola and Shaaka and slave Leia.
See, that way i can save space and still be fairly true to the spirit of the saga. I'm not talking a nice casino here but your dirty greasy fleapit sort of place. loud music and drunken lecherous fools. A bit like a friday night out really. I'll even build in a parking space for all the speeders, and one of those bars for tethering animals to, like in a wild west movie. :) sounds stupid now i type it out but it's cool in my head. Just couldn't think of any other way to save space.

Give the bald man a wedgie, that should make him smile..... :crazed: :p

kadamontaga
10-23-2002, 05:37 PM
A wedgie would involve touching.
Do you by any chance have a really big pair of tweezers I could borrow? And perhaps a step-ladder to get the right angle of waist-band penetration.
That sounds like a fab diorama. Would jabba have his own penthouse? And perhaps a tux. That would be s-weet.

Oh, and perhaps some fairy-lights, that'd be nice.

I gave up trying to get ephant to stand and shoved him on one of those protech bases r2dtoys do.

Jargo
10-23-2002, 07:57 PM
Remember those old fashioned washing tongues they had before we got electricity and stuff? Made of wood and like massive tweezers that you used to grab the washing from out of the tub. They had a big springy metal bit joining the two wooden tongues together at one end. Something like that might be better than tweezers. And doesn't TRU have one of those step thingies that they wheel round to get to high shelves? sort of red and round, on little casters and when you step on it the brake mechanism is activated so it doesn't slip.

Ephant will stand if you talk nicely to him. He looks knackered though to be honest with those bags under his eyes. Must have been a tough night for several years.

Jabba's penthouse suite was in the design yes. I was going to do a sort of balcony overlooking the whole scen since he's so big he'd get in the way. So if I make it two tiered I can cram in more figures :) I'm going to make it round like that Ralph MCQuarrie production painting of the palace, It has a balcony overhead runing round the room... hang on, isn't that a bit similar to the outlander club? talk about recycling old stuff! Did Doug Chiang do anything on AOTC? Seems to me they just re-used old Joe Johnston and McQuarrie designs for most of the movie. Thus proving who was right originally. George has no taste.

Anyway, that's what I'll be doing. Been saving big loo rolls for pillars. Well poster rolls and wrapping paper rolls actually. Heard the news about a new set of target accessory sets for january? Sounds sweet with a gamorrean in the running alongside a Yavin base technician who will no doubt come with a ladder for those pesky x-wings. Plus a gungan warrior........ anyway - I've been trying to convince my partner that i need more lovely IKEA shelving to cope with all the stuff i have now. I've got one room 8 feet by nine feet that has me, my bed and all my entire collection in it. There's not enough room to swing a gerbil. Compact and biju. :D but have you seen the list of stuff that's supposedly coming next year? I keep telling myself i have to start being selective but it never works. Said i wouldn't buy half the saga figures but i did. Plus all the army builders. I got ten royal guards to go with the shuttle. I would have got twelve but i ran out of room.

Here's a thing, have you noticed how when you buy something and if you're an opener it's even more so, you put the new items on the shelf and walk away and when you look back it doesn't seem like anything was added but if you actually really look at what you have it's like, millions of figures. Way more than you ever thought you'd buy. Course, my shelves are like tables so they hold a lot, nearly two feet deep and three feet wide. The corner shelves are deeper, three by three by two by two by one. Shelf units six feet tall. A lot of space but still not enough to put all that i have out. There's stuff shoved under the bed which is three feet high to accomodate the plastic storage tubs. There are two bookshelves above the bedhead which have stuff crammed in front of the books, There's a shelf at the bottom of my bed devoted to Bespin and Dagobah, stuff shoved underneath the shelving units, all the lego is in the loft. Maybe i should ditch the bed and move back in with my partner. I just like to go to sleep in my toy room. Nothing beats waking up and opening your eyes to see all those lovely toys :D Forgot about the ships hanging from the ceiling...... I have got to be completely off my trolley!

What were we talking about? sorry, just lost it for a moment. Not that I haven't lost it anyway. Don't mind me, if I get in the way just send for the keeper....... :crazed:

gibbspaulus
10-24-2002, 04:53 AM
EJ - are you using the IVAR shelving system? That's what I've used but I find that they are too deep sometimes and figures at the back of the lower shelves are lost in the gloom.

Any suggestions?

Jargo
10-24-2002, 07:02 AM
Yeah, that's the ticket. You can get a lighting system specifically forthe IVAR range Or there's these great under shel low wattage connectable strip lights. It's a modular system where you buy one piece that has the plug on and you can add as many other modules as you want with just connector cables. Brilliant! we use them in our kitchen since there's water coming through the roof and the main halogens are kaput. But the mini strip light thing will work since you screw the things to the underside of the shelf and it gives a nice ambient glow with a broad spread. Once i can get the cash to do it I'll be putting them on shelves. If I remember right the sets are available at FOCUS DIY centers and B&Q should cost around ten quid for the main set but London prices are higher I bet.

You're right about the shelves being too deep at times but what else can you cram a load of x and y wings onto? plus the falcon and a snowspeeder, b wing and two a wings? all on the same level in one wide hangar set up. Plus a ton of figures and two tauntauns. I haven't found a better solution yet and the shelves have no solid sides so you can see right through to everything. It does need lighting though. Especiall the lower shelves and the big corner units. Brilliant design though, so customisable.

You can get those tiny pin spot things too. They clip onto shelves with big crocodile clip style attachments and have angle heads. Again they're low wattage but they use halogen bulbs I think. It means you just clip a light where you need it and point it in the right direction. Then there's Subbuteo lighting if you want to go really small. Those floodlight sets are really bright. Tiny too. Depends how handy you are with the DIY though. No fudss I suggest the clip on lamps. Good with your hands I'd go for the under shelf strip lighting system.

Never get a short answer with me do you. :rolleyes: I need an editor.......

gibbspaulus
10-24-2002, 08:59 AM
Stick with your long answers - more information isd always good. I think my other half may be getting his ear bent about a tri[p to Ikea this weekend for lighting!

Jargo
10-24-2002, 01:27 PM
OK. the stuff we got from one of our local hardware stores is called 'RING LINK UP strip lighting' it's 30 watt and sold in FOCUS stores too but B & Q do their own line with smaller thinner strips and also mini spotlights that can be linked into the system. The stuff that FOCUS sell is too expensive at fifty quid for a three strip kit. we bought ours for just thirty. I don't know what the B & Q stuff costs since I haven't seen it in person. IKEA has shelf lighting in their catalogue listed as coming with a 3 metre cable, a shelf edge glare guard and it looks to be two small 40w strip bulbs not one large one. That's £7. it's 40cm long.
The little kits I bought are a foot long each unit and each has an independent on/off switch. The connector cables are in four lengths: 1/2 metre, 1 metre, 1 1/2 metres, 2 metres.

I don't think I have anything to add. If I think of anything i'll be sure to post it.... :D

kadamontaga
10-24-2002, 02:01 PM
Went to Forbidden Planet in Nottingham today. They didn't have any basic figures of note. The newest were Maul and Ki Adi Mundi, and they were at mega-scalper prices.
They also had those accessory sets for £20.
And one Saga X-Wing w/R2 for £49.99. I didn't realise that one was out yet. Its bloody long, and I image that when you attach the wings its bloody wide as well.

Also, in the current FP catalog (see www.scifiwarehouse.com) they have the following for pre-order:
Shuttle Tyderium £90
Japanese Koto figures £55
Dooku/Anakin speeder sets £17/ea
Trash Compactor sets £12
A-Wing (green) £28
Christmas 2-pack £20
Sandcrawler £70
Cantina Wave 2 £13/ea
Empire 4-pack £20

Also, 'Another World' in Nottingham has the Mace and Dooku unleashed for £20 each. No sign of Ephant there, but I've got mine so I don't care :crazed

Jargo
10-24-2002, 02:31 PM
The online store doesn't appear to have the sandcrawler, or the 4-pack, I'm still searching so I might be wrong but so far nothing, even the shuttle doesn't show...

No, not on their site yet.

kadamontaga
10-24-2002, 03:05 PM
They're in the paper catalogue so hopefully they'll be up on the site eventually.

Emperors_Hand_2211
10-25-2002, 03:11 AM
I'm agreived to share this information, and if anybody goes and buys the store out I'll be very angry (that told you all eh).
Nostalgia and Comics in Birmingham, and I assume Another World in (I think) Liverpool have some new SW offers on, which will apparently run until Xmas.
They generally take the form of pay 7 pounds more for a vehicle get figures with it.
E.G. Buy Slave I for £37 get Jango Fett Pilot, Obi Wan, Taun We and a droid of some description.
Buy Zam's speeder for £20 get Zam. Obi, Anakin and (I think) deluxe Jango.

Useless if you kept up with the early waves but good if like me, you haven't really started on Saga yet as you can get three figures, effectively free when you buy one and a vehicle.

In addition Nostalgia tend to keep an equal or better stock of new figures than FP and at slightly less expensive prices. The majority of figures are at 5.99 (i.e. at rrp) with some newer (e.g. Ephant) or rarer (e.g. Shaak Ti) at 8.99.
They also have a full range of the 4 preview figures at £5.99 if you missed those. Don't buy the R2 though. I need that.

Also does anyone know where I might get Darth Vaders electronic lightsaber from the POTF2 range. I shattered mine moving house.

kdp100
10-25-2002, 09:53 AM
FP London now have Jango & Clone pilots at £10.99 each -
I think that now the Saga line is 6 months old and it's just serious collectors buying, they've gone back to their old practice of varying the cost of their figures according to their desirability.

LATER... And the funny thing is, they don't seem to be promoting their new online store AT ALL!! I've been doing searches for "www.forbidden_planet.co.uk" etc. for about 6 years!

I see someone's gone and bought the Sacul from the Hollywood store in the West End - thought it'd be only a matter of time! They've put out several signed Jangos now (Milton Keynes?) - take yer pick from Preview or KE!

kadamontaga
11-01-2002, 02:01 PM
Pilot Jango and Pilot Trooper at 'Another World' in Derby today for £6.99 each. They also had the trooper w/bike for £9.

kdp100
11-15-2002, 08:55 AM
London latest:

Nothing really new apart from the Flying Geonosian at Forbidden P for a ridiculous £14.99, but the Hollywood store appear to be trying to clear their stock - Saga figures are now to to £4.95 across the board - handy for any army-builders who want to snap up a red Palace Guard or two & a handful of Super Battle Droids.

Jargo
11-15-2002, 02:41 PM
Just checked the popcornlive website and guess what, silver R2 for a meagre £29.99.
They reckoned they'd have it for just £9. Popcorn also have the first two star tours figures in at £16. Have you seen what they're asking for vehicles? dear god on a stick!!!!!!! They need to have a word with themselves about their pricing system.

kdp100
11-15-2002, 07:16 PM
Sounds like they're hitting Kool Collectibles levels and pricing themselves out of the market!
I'd only buy one silver R2 if I could get two - one to open and one to go with a sealed Toy Fair Vader.

£10 each - tops!

jedi_uk73
11-16-2002, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by kdp100
Sounds like they're hitting Kool Collectibles levels and pricing themselves out of the market!

LOL. I don't think anyone could get to the prices that Kool Collectables ask. I mean, they want £200 for the new Shuttle.:crazed:

Popcorn have always been a bit more expensive than others, but geez, £65 for the Gunship, that will only retail for £40 elsewhere.

I think that's why I gave up with them ages ago, and found alternative online stores.

kdp100
11-27-2002, 11:13 AM
Picked up a new Destroyer Droid at London Forbdden Planet at lunchtime today for £7.99 (they had about a dozen on the pegs), along with a signed copy of the League of Gentlemen Xmas Special video.

jedi_uk73
11-30-2002, 07:50 AM
Alf's Toys in Worthing had the new Destroyer Droid in for £7.95.

Quite a few on the pegs, alone with most of the current SAGA range.

Oh well, only Yoda to go to complete the 2002 set. :D

Lewis
12-04-2002, 01:52 AM
Well i actually saw a Gunship in ToysRus in Sheffield.....also had the silver R2-D2's in under the counter, That's 2 miracle's in 1 day....:p

kadamontaga
12-04-2002, 08:24 AM
Popped into "Another World" in Derby earlier today and it looked like they were stocking up for christmas. There were several boxes of Hasbro stuff on the floor, uncluding at least 4 of the new X-Wings, and at least 1 Repuplic Gunship. I didn't check the prices on any of them
Other stuff of note included LOTR Treebeard, LOTR Gandlaf & his horse, the new Osbournes figures, a couple of Star Wars accessory sets, and a bigger-than-average Spiderman figure.

gibbspaulus
12-05-2002, 01:33 AM
Time Trek in Bromley had a good selection for £6, except £7 for Ephant. They also had the deluxe CLonie for a tenner. On their extremely packed shelves were a load of 12" starting at £14 for some POTF2!

odb
12-05-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by gibbspaulus
Time Trek in Bromley had a good selection for £6, except £7 for Ephant. They also had the deluxe CLonie for a tenner. On their extremely packed shelves were a load of 12" starting at £14 for some POTF2!

Time Trek is still going:sur:

I haven't been in there for years, I might have to check it out.