PDA

View Full Version : What if Hasbro bought out Mattel

plo koon 200
08-06-2002, 02:14 PM
Not that it is ever going to happen but what if Hasbro were to buy out Mattel or vice versa or they were to merge. Just think about the changes.

The first thougts that come to my mind are
G.I.Joe Vs. Barbie and Hot wheels being no longer metal.

What other changes do you think might happen if such a thing were to happen?
Imagine how Star Wars would be and how all the other toylines would be like.

Forhekset
08-06-2002, 02:20 PM
Well, for one thing, the new Masters of the Universe toys that are out now probably wouldn't be nearly as cool if Hasbro did them instead of Mattel. That isn't a bash against Hasbro really, but the quality would simply NOT be the same.

By the way, Mattel knows how to incorporate action gimmicks without interfering with posability and such, unlike Hasbro. All of the new MOTU figures I've bought so far have had an action feature, and so far they've all been executed brilliantly. Granted, the MOTU figures are much larger than 3.75", but still.

thespar
08-06-2002, 02:25 PM
think the goverenment might steep in on that one by calling a monoply. lol. I migth fun see what happens to a farvotie toy lines.

Punch-The-Clown
08-07-2002, 01:50 AM
why won't they make hot whells cars with metal anymore?

LTBasker
08-07-2002, 05:51 AM
Actually hotwheels would probably still be metal, because Hasbro owned the NASCAR Winner's Circle line for awhile which were die-cast. However, the price would definitely go up on'em! :eek:

Hasbro has enough problems making stuff, they really wouldn't need to merge Barbie into the 12" figures! Look at how bad the 12" Slave Leia that came out with 12" Slim Fast Chewie was.

Either way, if one of them bought the other one out, it would truly be the end of world.

plo koon 200
08-18-2002, 05:55 PM
Imagine what it would be like to walk into the Toys R Us. I'm not sure if they would call them on having a Monopoly because Hsabro already does for Games. But maybe toys is different. I had many ideas for this but I can't remember them now.

Sinister Lord
08-18-2002, 06:58 PM
It might be a good thing for Barbie... she has been suffering from a lack of articulation and a lack of a lot of other things for years. If she and GI Joe were made by the same company, maybe she could wake up and enter the 21st century.

JEDIpartner
08-19-2002, 03:27 PM
Girls don't care about those things. Believe me...

Mandalorian Candidat
08-19-2002, 04:40 PM
I don't like the idea of a merger. Competition is one of the things that makes America great. If Hasbro owns the major lines of toys, what will keep them from becoming even lazier in their manufacturing and distribution practices?

plo koon 200
08-20-2002, 12:55 PM
I'm not suggesting that they merge. I'm just saying what if they merged what do you think are possibilites. Like you said them becoming lazier is a possiblity if they merge.

scruffziller
08-21-2002, 01:08 PM
SPACEBALLS-----The Flying Winnebego!!! SW merged with Barbie :eek: I toured the Winebego plant because my uncle worked there and it remined me of the base on Hoth!:D It's located in Forest City, Iowa.

plo koon 200
09-18-2003, 06:46 PM
Come on I'm sure some of you have some crazy ideas like Masters of the Transformers and Intergallactic Barbie Wars.

RooJay
09-19-2003, 12:53 AM
How 'bout Barbie as Princess Leia and Ken as Luke Skywalker? That'd pretty much be a given, I'd imagine.
Perhaps some new Hot Wheels die cast Star Wars toys (hey, that might be kinda cool...).

good shot jansen
09-21-2003, 04:54 PM
judging by what happened after hasbro bought galoob. it would not be a good thing.

hasbro has their own way of doing things, they have no regard for the previous sucess of a particular toy line that becomes part of hasbro's domain after acquisition.

history has shown that the only reason why hasbro would buy another toy company would be to literally destroy the other companies lines.

if hasbro didn't invent it, then they're dayum well gonna destroy it.

jeddah
09-22-2003, 05:50 AM
I don't like the idea of a merger. Competition is one of the things that makes America great. If Hasbro owns the major lines of toys, what will keep them from becoming even lazier in their manufacturing and distribution practices?

Just look at what happened when Galoob was bought out by Hasbro a few years ago. The steady decline of successful and unique lines of toys that seemed to show the focus was to destroy the competition rather than add to it!!

:(

jeddah
[edit: Sorry GSJ, I should read the full thread and then post, not post and then the read :o ;) ]