PDA

View Full Version : The Mothman Prophecies

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-07-2002, 12:06 AM
I just watched the Mothman Prophecies starring Richard Gere which is purportedly based on true events in Point Pleasant West Virginia during 1966-1967. I then went onto the website to research the "Mothman," reading about the different events throughout history people have apparently seen this creature. Now I am afraid to go to bed without seeing a giant-wing like creature with red eyes. I think I'll just stay online all night.

Has anyone seen this movie or read the book? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

2-1B
08-07-2002, 12:47 AM
I've seen the movie, but haven't read the book. In my own brief research, I was surprised to learn about that bridge actually collapsing. :eek: Watching the movie, I assumed it was just an added element to bring it to a creepy end. Reality seems to be just as creepy. :D

DarthBrandon
08-07-2002, 01:19 AM
Very creepy movie and I hope that it's not true, cause if it is, we may be in for more trouble in the future.:eek:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-08-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
I've seen the movie, but haven't read the book. In my own brief research, I was surprised to learn about that bridge actually collapsing. :eek: Watching the movie, I assumed it was just an added element to bring it to a creepy end. Reality seems to be just as creepy. :D

Yes, I too have done some limited research about this topic. I'm not sure if the movie picked up on some other creepy incidents that occured in the same area during the time of the Mothman sightings (I missed the first 1/2 hour) but there were other chilling incidents going around West Virginia at that time.

Numerous cattle with all their blood drained and missing were found dead on ranches.

UFO Sightings

"Men in Black" sightings, harrassing people especially a local journalist, telling her to stop printing anything about the Mothman.

Apparently a villager was burned in the face during an up-close encounter with the Mothman.

All of this was lifted off a site that Sony, the distributor of the movie, owns, makes you wonder?

Someone I work with has a grandmother who lives in West Virginia and was alive during this time. She says she remembers hearing about these incidents as they happened (she didn't live in the Pt. Pleasant area)

Very creepy indeed! :confused:

Pendo
08-08-2002, 11:36 AM
I've not seen the movie but it sounds very interesting and creepy! I'll have to look out for it. What is the website you were on Lowly Bantha Cleaner, I'm interested in researching the Mothman?

PENDO!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-08-2002, 11:13 PM
Pendo, here's the link to the site I researched the info. on.

The Mothman Prophecies (http://www.spe.sony.com/movies/mothman/)

Notice the site is owned by Sony, the distributor of the film. You wonder how much fiction is added to make people go see the movie. However, I've checked a few sites and what they say is pretty much what everyone else says.

You don't need to register to view the site even though it asks you to on the opening page.

I'd recommend that you see the movie. It isn't that scary of a movie. It is more like a thriller than horror, more thrilling than the Stupid Blair Witch project. It's creepy knowing that what went on was supposedly true.

MikeAndTheBots
08-09-2002, 12:30 AM
I heard the movie was loosely based on the book, I looked into and seemed pretty interesting. I'd rather read the book but I'm too lazy to take it outof the library :p

Pendo
08-09-2002, 08:24 AM
Thanx for the site Lowly Bantha Cleaner. I'm not sure if I've seen the film advertised at the cinema yet, it might not have been released here I'll have to check. I'm deffo gonna be checkin it out ;).

PENDO!

mylow thehutt
08-12-2002, 12:40 PM
in the moive,after richard gear gets mad and hits the door with the mirror on it, in you can see the mothman's face in the mirror for a split second.,very spooky.

jeddah
08-12-2002, 12:42 PM
I happen to know a bit about this. Since the late 40s the Mothman and similar animal-creatures have been attributed, perhaps falsely, to UFO sightings.

The film is very very loosely based on the book, but only inasmuch as they decided they didn't want to produce a see-all film. Thus, there are only suggestions of UFOs (clouds at the beginning when he knocks the door). One part they missed almost completely was the voices on the phone. There were more than one beings/spirits that were contacting Keel but as the UFO flap lasted from 1957 to 68, too much ground would have had to be covered.

Interestingly, on one occasion when the USS Eldridge was purportedly transported from Norfolk, VA to wherever it was that it went, the survivors reported similar type creatures in the 'other dimension' and eel-like creatures on board. At Montauk there used to be a kind of psy-ops base which has since been closed and photos of a kind of Mothman/Apeman have been captured.

The death of his wife etc is all fantasy within the film's purview, and in general the events surrounding the wave were much more physical rather than the esoteric and ethereal nature of the mothman in the film.

With time though, other types of phenomena have been intermingled with those of Point Pleasant. For example the Chupacabras has been blamed of late even though it is reportedly 6 foot shorter than mothman.

Finally, to all those scared, although the appearance of the mothman was scary, it was not a banshee or precursor to death. I personally think the majority of events were linked to man made causes. Experiments and so on. I think the missing time and UFO elements may be accurate but irrelevant in relation to determining what or who the mothman was.

jeddah

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-15-2002, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by jeddah
I happen to know a bit about this. Since the late 40s the Mothman and similar animal-creatures have been attributed, perhaps falsely, to UFO sightings.

The film is very very loosely based on the book, but only inasmuch as they decided they didn't want to produce a see-all film. Thus, there are only suggestions of UFOs (clouds at the beginning when he knocks the door). One part they missed almost completely was the voices on the phone. There were more than one beings/spirits that were contacting Keel but as the UFO flap lasted from 1957 to 68, too much ground would have had to be covered.

Interestingly, on one occasion when the USS Eldridge was purportedly transported from Norfolk, VA to wherever it was that it went, the survivors reported similar type creatures in the 'other dimension' and eel-like creatures on board. At Montauk there used to be a kind of psy-ops base which has since been closed and photos of a kind of Mothman/Apeman have been captured.

The death of his wife etc is all fantasy within the film's purview, and in general the events surrounding the wave were much more physical rather than the esoteric and ethereal nature of the mothman in the film.

With time though, other types of phenomena have been intermingled with those of Point Pleasant. For example the Chupacabras has been blamed of late even though it is reportedly 6 foot shorter than mothman.

Finally, to all those scared, although the appearance of the mothman was scary, it was not a banshee or precursor to death. I personally think the majority of events were linked to man made causes. Experiments and so on. I think the missing time and UFO elements may be accurate but irrelevant in relation to determining what or who the mothman was.

jeddah

Interesting information you've uncovered jeddah, and a nice perspective you have given.

I am not clear on "Chupacabras." Is that an animal of some sort? I guess some scientists who have hunted for rational explanations, believe that residents didn't see a Mothman creature yet a sand hill crane.

Could you also elaborate on what you mean by the majority of these events were "man made causes."

master jedi
08-16-2002, 02:58 PM
I saw this movie a while ago and thought it absolutely sucked. It wasn't scary at all. In my opinion I think this is one of Richard Gere's worst movies ever.

TylerD
08-16-2002, 03:21 PM
I thought it was an awesome movie! The chupacabra is a mexican legend about a monster who eats farmer's goats in the night.

Patient Zero
08-22-2002, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by master jedi
In my opinion I think this is one of Richard Gere's worst movies ever.

Whooooowww, there tiger! Let's not get cared away now. Have you seen some of his other roles?

jeddah
08-22-2002, 12:56 PM
Hi LBC, Jonna's post bumped this and I saw your reply. Sorry I haven't replied yet. I'll get some info together and PM you if you want.

:)

jeddah

master jedi
08-22-2002, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by The Ghost of Jonna

Whooooowww, there tiger! Let's not get cared away now. Have you seen some of his other roles?

Yes I have. Even if I didn't I know a bad movie when I see on. I didn't say I was his worst film just one of the bad ones.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-23-2002, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by jeddah
Hi LBC, Jonna's post bumped this and I saw your reply. Sorry I haven't replied yet. I'll get some info together and PM you if you want.

:)

jeddah

Whenever you get time jeddah. You seem to have researched this phenomenon quite a bit. Look forward to reading more about your theories.

I've also been looking for the original book titled "The Mothman Prophecies," at Barnes and Noble. The book was published in 1975 but I am sure they came out with a reprint since the releasing of the movie. Hope to see it in the local library next time I'm there.