PDA

View Full Version : Why is the UNLEASHED line so unappreciated???

DahrJin
08-07-2002, 09:32 AM
***EDITED TO CHANGE THE WORD HATED***

The "what unleashed would you like to see?" thread made me think of this question.

Why are the Unleashed so unappreciated?

In my opinion, they are excellent display pieces, and not toys.

There are so many possibilities within this line, I thought for sure that we, as Star Wars collectors and fans, would love these. I know I have enjoyed the line so far, and it only looks to be improving.

So plese take a few seconds and help me understand how this line is so unliked by the people who should like it the most.

I'm not asking for trouble or for people to start bashing me or each other, I'm just intrested in why it's so hard to enjoy this excellent line of statues.

Feel free to express you thoughts, for or aginst, this line, without resulting to name calling and flamming.

Thank you.

JEDIpartner
08-07-2002, 10:05 AM
For me... they are a little TOO "whimsical" looking for my tastes. The Jango/Boba thing never happened (It looks like Boba's being kidnapped and want's to go back to his mommy), so that kinda stinks. They don't really capture a particular moment from the film and it seems like this would be the perfect place to do that... and not as they HAVE BEEN doing it with their 3 3/4" figures.

That's why I am not a fan.

Forhekset
08-07-2002, 10:25 AM
That's not a bad point, JEDIpartnr. The Unleashed line could do a little bit better job of capturing an exact moment from the film, at least in the case of the AOTC figures, but I'd say that the little liberties they've taken so far (aside from that awful pose they put Maul in...yecch!) work pretty well. Anakin, Jango, Padme, Dooku, and Mace all look awesome to me, and out of those only Dooku really looks "canon" in terms of, "did this particular pose/scene happen in a movie?". Still, I don't think it ruins the figure just because they aren't posed EXACTLY like they are in some famous movie scene. Unless you're some sort of extreme anti-EU person. As for Jango and Boba...Boba is what, like 9 or 10? He's trying to escape from a bad@ss sabre-wielding Jedi, in torrential rain, and his dad is hurrying him to the Slave I while firing his blasters approximately 2 inches from Boba's head. I think Boba has the right to look a wee bit concerned. He's a freaking kid for crying out loud. :D

Anyway, I don't know why people complain about them not having any play value/articulation etc. They're STATUES. Why would you buy a statue and expect to play with it? The Unleashed line is basically a series of inexpensive statues. It isn't like I'm going to go buy some of the Dark Horse busts then complain that they "don't do anything" or "have no play value". Obviously Hasbro had collectors/SW enthusiasts like me in mind with the Unleashed line - people who like to open toys and display them - not people who like to re-enact battles and play with their stuff. I open items and stick them on a shelf. The Unleashed line is excellent for that. If you absolutely must be able to play with your toys/SW collectibles, then the Unleashed line is not for you - and in that case, you probably don't like statues in the first place as all they do is sit there. So if you don't like it, fine, but don't criticize it for not being something it was never intended to be in the first place.

Prince Xizor
08-07-2002, 10:45 AM
I tottally agree with JediPartnr. If they capture a moment from the movies with the line, then I would consider buying them. Maybe I will pick up the Vader one, that is actually from the movie. It would be cooler though if Luke was in it.

And I also think they should have 2 people sets, such as Windu cutting off Jango's head. That would be a cool scene.

Darth Marra 54
08-07-2002, 10:47 AM
They are cool to look at and all but what really can a person do with them? Just take up more space and money. I think they are cool looking but I just do not have the money and space to collect them. Maybe I will buy one of them later down the road but for now I will just stick to everything else hasbro makes.

Jonna
08-07-2002, 10:51 AM
I didn't know that anyone hated them! I just thought that no one really cared.

Forhekset
08-07-2002, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Jonna
I didn't know that anyone hated them! I just thought that no one really cared.

*I* care, and I'm afraid Hasbro is going to scrap the line because no one buys them. :(

bigbarada
08-07-2002, 11:25 AM
'Hate' is too strong of a word, 'absolute disinterest' would sum up my feelings a bit better.

I understand the statue thing and if Hasbro would utilize the Unleashed line to produce scene-specific statues and the 3 3/4" line to produce highly articulated, neutrally posed action figures, then I would applaud both lines. However, as it is, the Unleashed figures are neither accurate or representative of a movie scene, thus I feel that they are simply a waste of time and money. (If it wasn't in a movie, I'm not interested. Just one of the main parameters of my SW collecting.)

Hasbro fell into the same trap with the Epic Force line (although if those figures weren't glued to their damned bases I would have like them better). So you think they would have learned by now.

DahrJin
08-07-2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Forhekset

*I* care, and I'm afraid Hasbro is going to scrap the line because no one buys them. :(

Me too Forhekset. I'd hate to see this line go the route as the other NON-toy lines.

I actually like the looks of the unleashed. If you read the text on the back of the cards, it states that these are artist's conception of what these characters look like in their eyes, not ours. Movie/scene specific or not, I like 'em.

2-1B
08-07-2002, 12:40 PM
I guess I'm a bit of an odd duck in that I was a big fan of Epic Force and would much rather buy those than Unleashed. I may pick up Anakin and Padme, but I really have no interest in the line as a whole.
If they made AOTC Epic Force, I'd be all over it. :happy:

OriginalBryGuy
08-07-2002, 12:46 PM
The 'Unleashed' line is meant to be a statuesque figure. For more adult collectors that wish to set them up for display. They aren't meant to be played with.

Let the naysayers say what they will. When 'Yoda Unleashed' comes out everyone will change their tune about the line.

Personally, I love it.

DahrJin
08-07-2002, 01:03 PM
Tell me how, if you're a SW fan, or a fan of either of these characters, you can't see the sheer coolness of these STATUES.

http://starwars.hasbro.com/bountyhunter/repnews/imgs/84916_lg.jpg

http://starwars.hasbro.com/bountyhunter/repnews/imgs/84915_b.jpg

I'd be proud to display either of these, anywhere in my home or office.

And from what I hear, DooKu will have TWO seperate right hands. One with the lightning and one with his saber. So you get the option of how to display him. How cool is that?

Forhekset
08-07-2002, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by DahrJin
Tell me how, if you're a SW fan, or a fan of either of these characters, you can't see the sheer coolness of these STATUES.

http://starwars.hasbro.com/bountyhunter/repnews/imgs/84916_lg.jpg

http://starwars.hasbro.com/bountyhunter/repnews/imgs/84915_b.jpg

I'd be proud to display either of these, anywhere in my home or office.

And from what I hear, DooKu will have TWO seperate right hands. One with the lightning and one with his saber. So you get the option of how to display him. How cool is that?

The Dooku is going to be awesome. Just think, we already have a Vader, Maul, and Dooku, if they made the Emperor you could have a whole setup of unleashed Sith baddies... :D I hadn't heard about the removable hand but I figured that's how it would be, since I've seen pics of Dooku with lightning, and pics with his sabre.

Not to mention at only $15 a pop, I personally think these things are a bargain. Oh, and I'm not sure I understand some of these arguments against Unleashed - like the one about the fact that since Hasbro isn't using the 3.75" line to produce neutrally-posted, heavily-articulated figures and the Unleashed line to produce scene-specific statues, let's just not buy the Unleashed at all and keep on buying these questionable 3.75" figs? That isn't going to help the 3.75" line become any better - all it's going to do is kill the Unleashed line. Not that anyone should buy these things if they don't like them just to help keep the line going, but I guess I don't understand the reasoning behind that sentiment. Also bigB, with the exception of Maul and Anakin (and possibly Mace), how are the Unleashed figures that have been released thus far not representative of a movie scene? Jango did fire his blasters on the Kamino landing platform, and he was with Boba at the time. That's in the movie. Padme did have a gun in her hand, in the arena, whilst wearing that white outfit. That's in the movie. Dooku did fire lightning. That's in the movie. Vader did extend his hand to Luke, beckoning him toward the Dark Side. That's also in the movie. Ok, maybe Padme didn't stand exactly like her Unleashed figure's pose in the movie, but it isn't like they're putting Padme in battle armor wielding a lightsabre. So I don't think these things are as far off from the movies as most people make them out to be (aside from the fact that the likenesses don't match the actors 100%).

DahrJin
08-07-2002, 01:43 PM

The Dooku is going to be awesome. Just think, we already have a Vader, Maul, and Dooku, if they made the Emperor you could have a whole setup of unleashed Sith baddies... :D I hadn't heard about the removable hand but I figured that's how it would be, since I've seen pics of Dooku with lightning, and pics with his sabre.

Not to mention at only $15 a pop, I personally think these things are a bargain. Oh, and I'm not sure I understand some of these arguments against Unleashed - like the one about the fact that since Hasbro isn't using the 3.75" line to produce neutrally-posted, heavily-articulated figures and the Unleashed line to produce scene-specific statues, let's just not buy the Unleashed at all and keep on buying these questionable 3.75" figs? That isn't going to help the 3.75" line become any better - all it's going to do is kill the Unleashed line. Not that anyone should buy these things if they don't like them just to help keep the line going, but I guess I don't understand the reasoning behind that sentiment. Also bigB, with the exception of Maul and Anakin (and possibly Mace), how are the Unleashed figures that have been released thus far not representative of a movie scene? Jango did fire his blasters on the Kamino landing platform, and he was with Boba at the time. That's in the movie. Padme did have a gun in her hand, in the arena, whilst wearing that white outfit. That's in the movie. Dooku did fire lightning. That's in the movie. Vader did extend his hand to Luke, beckoning him toward the Dark Side. That's also in the movie. Ok, maybe Padme didn't stand exactly like her Unleashed figure's pose in the movie, but it isn't like they're putting Padme in battle armor wielding a lightsabre. So I don't think these things are as far off from the movies as most people make them out to be (aside from the fact that the likenesses don't match the actors 100%).

That's what I was thinking as well.

So what if they aren't scene/film specific. They are characters from the films, and they look sweet as well.

I hope the Unleashed line doesn't get cancelled, I'd like to see Hasbro make as many of these Unleashed as they can.

I'd even buy a Luke Unleashed if they made it. I bought the Maul, and ended up liking it, once it was released from it's plastic bonds and sitting on a shelf in my living room.

Rogue II
08-07-2002, 01:59 PM
I'm not interested in them for several reasons.

1. They are mostly ATOC and I only collect Classic Trilogy.
2. That Darth Vader is pretty cool, but I don't have anywhere to put him.
3. I spend enough money on the 3 3-4" line. I don't need to spend any more on these.

I still think they are great pieces of art and $15 is a good price. They are much nicer than the Epic Force line.

Forhekset
08-07-2002, 02:00 PM
Luke has some excellent Unleashed potential. Luke in Stormtrooper disguise in the trash compactor from ANH (this idea was mentioned in another thread, I think), or Luke clutching his stump, desperately hanging onto that wind tunnel pole on Bespin...or Luke from ROTJ fighting on Jabba's skiff.

JEDIpartner
08-07-2002, 02:09 PM
...and I'm not sure I understand some of these arguments against Unleashed - like the one about the fact that since Hasbro isn't using the 3.75" line to produce neutrally-posted, heavily-articulated figures and the Unleashed line to produce scene-specific statues, let's just not buy the Unleashed at all and keep on buying these questionable 3.75" figs? That isn't going to help the 3.75" line become any better - all it's going to do is kill the Unleashed line.

Well... I DO like these better than the Epic Force line. I WILL say that. The arguement is... Make the 3 3/4" figures more neutral and let the Unleashed line be more posed. Seriously... Luminara, for example, looks like she had been crafted for the Unleashed line and not the 3 3/4" line. That's all I'm saying. And you are correct... these are Statues and not toys. The figures ARE toys and we're getting statues.

Forhekset
08-07-2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr

The figures ARE toys and we're getting statues.

And that's the real travesty here - one-pose wonders with poorly executed action gimmicks instead of figures made similar to the old 3.75" GI Joes from the 80s. But I don't want to bring up that old argument again....

thespar
08-07-2002, 03:31 PM
i like the unleashed line so far. i think they are nicely done.

QLD
08-07-2002, 04:40 PM
I just don't like the way that most of the unleashed figures look. I was not impressed by Maul or Jango at all. I don't like the Padme or Anakin either. Dooku, Mace, and Vader look much better, but I only see me MAYBE getting the Vader, and possibly Mace out of these.

I just don't they are as well done as they could be. I don't care about them not being poseable, that isn't an issue for me, as I don't play with them.

Hellboy
08-07-2002, 08:12 PM
I think DahrJin and Forhekset pretty much sum up my feelings concerning this line. I personally am far more interested in these than the current 12 inch line which IMO continues to be of average to poor quality except for the excellent Jango Fett and upcoming Ki-Adi-Mundi. :)

Thunderstorm1
08-07-2002, 08:32 PM
I love the new Unleashed Line!!!! They make great display pieces in my collection.

Hope they are around for a long time!

haggis
08-07-2002, 10:09 PM
I'd buy them if I could find the d*mn things. Apparently, they were in TRU for about 15 minutes(a 15 minute period during which I wasn't there!) Never seen them anywhere else. Welcome to Canada! Home of the 60 cent dollar and a place which occasionally shows up on Hasbro's radar.
Can't be too bitter as the TRU-exclusive Landspeeder is now showing up!

RooJay
08-07-2002, 10:45 PM
I for one love this line, and the expressive, impressionistic style in which they are designed (except for Padme; she's a little too boring compared to some of the others, in my opinion). I'd like to see later releases done more in the style of the new Kotobukiya figurines though.

bigbarada
08-07-2002, 11:22 PM
Forhekset: I outlined the reasons why I don't buy them, not the reasons why you shouldn't buy them.

However, if Hasbro made certain characters (like the ones I listed in the "What Unleashed would you like to see?" thread), then I would buy those. However, I am not going to pour my money into these statues that I don't really like (I haven't seen one yet that really impresses me, not even Dooku or Mace) in the hopes that someday Hasbro might make the ones I want.

Chiesa
08-08-2002, 01:03 AM
The unleashed line is just great actually... I sometimes wonder whats all the complaining abt... I'm quite sure that real die hard SW fans would definitely not mind getting them... But I seriously think that the Boba and Maul ones aren't that great... The maul's pose with the red thing around it is like those portrayed in Animes which is quite irrelavant... But I can't wait for Padme Anakin Vader Dooku and Mace to be out!!

Cheers :D

DahrJin
08-08-2002, 08:32 AM
RooJay

Wouldn't we all like to see more statues done in the Koto style. I am going to get the Koto Vader, gotta love that thing, but I'd prefer it to not be a "snap-fit" model kit. :(
I like them to come already assembled and ready to display.

I'd like to see the same style and detail in the Unleashed as the Koto's have, but at the under $20.00 price tag of the current unleashed. Not the over $100.00 you have to drop for the Koto's.

Old Fossil
08-08-2002, 09:01 AM
In all honesty, these are great additions to Hasbro's Star Wars line; but they don't really 'go' with my collection. I collect mainly, 3.75" figures, some vehicles, and a VERY FEW 12" figures. The Unleashed line just doesn't go along with any of those, and I have only so many shelves with which to work with. I'm tired of buying something different, only to have it end up in a box under the bed because it doesn't display well with my regular collection. Besides, I'd rather use the $15 to buy three Saga figures instead of one Unleashed statuette.

Forhekset
08-08-2002, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Twodot Tatooine
In all honesty, these are great additions to Hasbro's Star Wars line; but they don't really 'go' with my collection. I collect mainly, 3.75" figures, some vehicles, and a VERY FEW 12" figures. The Unleashed line just doesn't go along with any of those, and I have only so many shelves with which to work with. I'm tired of buying something different, only to have it end up in a box under the bed because it doesn't display well with my regular collection. Besides, I'd rather use the $15 to buy three Saga figures instead of one Unleashed statuette.

I thought they wouldn't fit with my collection either at first, as I collect almost nothing but the 3.75" figures. But after picking up Unleashed Jango on a whim (it looked too cool to pass up), I've realized that at least for me, these things kind of break up the monotony of having a shelf full of nothing but the 3.75" figures, kind of the same way that it's cool to have a vehicle or two placed amongst your figures. Anyway, it also gives me yet another thing to collect in between releases of figures and such. :)

tagmac
08-08-2002, 10:36 AM
I really like the line myself, but then, I don't have a problem with the figures seeming more like statues. I have all the McFarlane NHL figs, and the quality and detail is very similar. For those who complain, it's no problem - more on the shelves for the rest of us. Just wait - when Unleashed Slave Leia, Han/Chewbacca, Bespin Luke, and (like someone else said) Yoda finally come out, people will be singing the praises of the line bigtime.

Incidentally, after the four I just suggested, I think an Unleashed Tusken Raider and Snowtrooper would also make for some interesting pieces.

bigbarada
08-08-2002, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Chiesa
I'm quite sure that real die hard SW fans would definitely not mind getting them...

I love these kinds of arguments, also. "If you don't like them then you're not a real die-hard SW fan.":stupid:

Being a fan is not an either/or proposition. For every 100 fans there are 100 different collecting styles. Just because I don't like poorly sculpted, inaccurate, useless statues does not mean that I am not a true fan. Of course, with idiocy like the argument quoted above becoming more and more prevalent on these boards, maybe accusations of not being a 'real, die-hard fan' is the best compliment of all.

Forhekset
08-08-2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada

I love these kinds of arguments, also. "If you don't like them then you're not a real die-hard SW fan.":stupid:

Being a fan is not an either/or proposition. For every 100 fans there are 100 different collecting styles. Just because I don't like poorly sculpted, inaccurate, useless statues does not mean that I am not a true fan. Of course, with idiocy like the argument quoted above becoming more and more prevalent on these boards, maybe accusations of not being a 'real, die-hard fan' is the best compliment of all.

In all fairness, since English is probably not Chiesa's first language, I don't think his intent was to say that anyone who doesn't like the Unleashed line isn't a "real fan". That being said, I don't think you know what you're talking about when you say these are poorly sculpted. Inaccurate? Oh, I guess they should be lifelike for $15. :rolleyes: Useless? Maybe to you. This is the kind of thing me and DahrJin are talking about. It isn't the fact that people simply don't like them - no one's telling you what to buy or what not to buy, and if you don't want them, that's your choice - it's the fact that the some peoples' opinions about them are uninformed and patently ridiculous. Poorly sculpted? That's the most absurd comment I've heard so far about the Unleashed line. That even tops the people who complain that a statue has no articulation.

bigbarada
08-08-2002, 11:36 AM
Yes, they are poorly sculpted and useless to me. Think my opinion is stupid? That's your perogative and really makes no difference to me.

I don't collect the statues any more than I collect 12" or Action Fleet.

Anyway, if you were to read the title of this thread you would see that it asks for the opinions of people who don't like the Unleashed to give their reasons why. This is not a 'Unleashed Appreciation' thread. So do not attack me for my opinions when it is obvious that you don't even understand the topic of this discussion.

2-1B
08-08-2002, 11:45 AM
I don't think you know what you're talking about when you say these are poorly sculpted. Inaccurate? Oh, I guess they should be lifelike for $15. :rolleyes: Useless? Maybe to you. This is the kind of thing me and DahrJin are talking about. It isn't the fact that people simply don't like them - no one's telling you what to buy or what not to buy, and if you don't want them, that's your choice - it's the fact that the some peoples' opinions about them are uninformed and patently ridiculous. Poorly sculpted? That's the most absurd comment I've heard so far about the Unleashed line. That even tops the people who complain that a statue has no articulation.

What are you even arguing about? You recognized its just bigB's opinion ("maybe to you") . . . . isn't that what the thread question is asking? You can't debate the "facts" concerning how good a sculpt is or is not when it's really just an opinion.
If you think someone's opinion is ridiculous, that's fair. But it's also your opinion as to how ridiculous it is. ;)
I'm curious, how is it that a person can look at an Unleashed figure, evaluate it, decide he doesn't like it for whatever reasons, and STILL be guilty of forming an uninformed opinion? :confused:

DahrJin
08-08-2002, 12:29 PM
Yes, I was indeed looking for opinions on why collectors dislike this line. I in no way intended for folks to get out of hand.

I think it's great that so many have chimed in with both pro and con opinions. I wasn't trying to bash anyone for not liking them or try and make them like the unleashed. I just wanted to know what others thought.

I'm PRO Unleashed. But I must admit, at first I was a little wishy washy with the line.

After Hasbros failed attemt at the Epic Force line, I was affraid to try again.

BigB, I am glad to hear your opinion. I understand you dislike them, and why.

Not all collectors are going to enjoy all aspects and products of a toy line. So to each their own.

Forhekset
08-08-2002, 12:54 PM
Ah, whatever. I'm not going to argue about it, it's really not worth the time or effort. I also didn't say your opinions were stupid, bigB. You can infer what I said however you like, but I never called your opinions stupid. I do think though that if the Unleashed sculpts are not good in your eyes, then you must be the harshest critic I've ever seen and I would really like to see some examples of what you consider a GOOD sculpt. But in any case I'm not going to stick around and talk with people implying that I'm not intelligent enough to understand a thread topic. Later.

aceguide
08-08-2002, 01:00 PM
Wel...Back to the question at hand.

I am skeptical of the line and it longevity - but do like the looks of them. While many believe the price point is a good value - $15 is the main reason I have not picked one up.

It is good to hear a lot of people are enjoying them, and has me tempted to shell out the $$$.

DahrJin
08-08-2002, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by aceguide
Wel...Back to the question at hand.

I am skeptical of the line and it longevity - but do like the looks of them. While many believe the price point is a good value - $15 is the main reason I have not picked one up.

It is good to hear a lot of people are enjoying them, and has me tempted to shell out the $$$.

Well if they keep getting better, like the Mace and DooKu, I hope to see the unleashed around for a long, long time. The opportunities Hasbro has within this line could be endless.

I can see my whole living room decorated with these......:D
But I don't think my wife would see it that way. ;)

LTBasker
08-08-2002, 01:54 PM
From what Hasbro says on the back of the card as to what the Unleashed line represents, then Vader is so far the only one that I think represents the "emotions" of the situation. The rest of them come off as just some Generic Uber Artist Statue (GUAS) where they take the character and put them in an action pose for it be "cool" - much like they're already doing with some characters in the basic figure line. ;)

If the unleashed were a little more...meaningful, or more emotional and scene specific or it built off of a scene where it added emotion to it like maybe Anakin kneeling to Shmi's grave, or the scene of Boba Fett where he's got Jango's helmet in the Arena then I think it would be a better line. Right now though, like I said, it's just a "Generic Uber Artist Statue" line which has no real meaning...

DahrJin
08-08-2002, 03:45 PM
Why does it have to have a meaning?

Can't they just be FUN? Or is Star Wars collecting not supposed to be fun anymore?

GUAS or not, were not talking about Leanardo Davinci's "David", were talking about SW characters. And what do you expect for $15.00. ;)

N-2PF
08-08-2002, 03:47 PM
1. They are not 12 inch.
2. You can only build a "dancing" army with them.
3. They don't fit together in size.
4. They are comic-style, not the real thing.
5. You cannot undress them (allthough they suggest to do that - refering to Padme).
6. They took away Hasbros ressources to make better toys.
7. My children do not want to play with them.
8. There is no shampoo or chewing gum in them.
9. They need too much display-place in the stores, that could be used for better toys.
10. They steal the money that buyers should spend on the 12 inch to keep that line going stronger.

and yes I... I would kill them all. I would kill the whole line. They're dead and unbendable, every single one of them. And not just the men... But the women and children-statues too... They're like trash, and I don't buy them like trash. I hate them!

DahrJin
08-08-2002, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by N-2PF
4. They are comic-style, not the real thing.

What is the REAL thing, exactly?

If memory serves, these are characters from a work of fiction, thus there is no Real Thing so to speak. They were all drawn out in the comic-style before they were put together in the costume department, or should that be wardrobe department?

Well if you wanna get all detailed and suff......:D

LTBasker
08-08-2002, 05:08 PM
And what do you expect for $15.00. ;)

About the 3 times the quality as the upcoming $5 Ephant Mon. :happy:

N-2PF
08-08-2002, 06:10 PM

What is the REAL thing, exactly?

hango fett
08-08-2002, 06:41 PM
nice picture!!! gotta love it!
YF

bigbarada
08-08-2002, 08:26 PM
It wasn't my intention to insult, just defend my position. I know nobody is forcing me to buy these; but I'm not trying to convince anyone not to buy them either. If you collect them and enjoy them, great. More power to ya!:cool:

Besides, I've already had to put up with two years of comic-book, artistic interpretations of Star Wars characters. It was called the Power of the Force line from 1995-96.:)

Old Fossil
08-08-2002, 10:50 PM
Dang, N2-PF2. I'm like a deer in those headlights.

DahrJin
08-09-2002, 08:38 AM

Yeah, that's the real actress I'm sure.(looks good too)

If you are under the illusion that you can get her to come and sit on a shelf in your home for $15.00, I think you are sadly mistaken. ;)

If you know of a place where you can get her to be a collectors item, let me know so I can get in line. :D

RooJay
08-09-2002, 09:30 PM
10. They steal the money that buyers should spend on the 12 inch to keep that line going stronger.

and yes I... I would kill them all. I would kill the whole line. They're dead and unbendable, every single one of them. And not just the men... But the women and children-statues too... They're like trash, and I don't buy them like trash. I hate them!

Some of us could and would say the same of the twelve inch line! If I could find some way stop that crap from being produced, I most certainly would! Those monstrosities are "stealing the money" that buyers should spend on the Unleashed line to keep it going stronger!

redfive41101
08-11-2002, 11:38 AM
I think the line is very nice looking. I havn't bought any yet due to my current financial situation. I do plan on getting Jango, Padme , and Dooku at the least somewhere down the line.

Darth forb1us
08-11-2002, 04:09 PM
The unleashed line is far greater then the 12" at this point..
Every 12" (not including the new ones, dooku, ki-adi, etc) are STUPID LOOKING
I do not know why I wasted the money on them..
Jango looks good, but wasnt worth $40 imo.
If you appreciate the line, buy it. $15 is not that much money...
with the new unleashed coming, it's getting even better.
Look at Maul in the pack, take him out and he looks much better
*glances to the shelf* mmmmmmm yes.
Now if you do not like them because your 5 year old cannot thrash the things into dozens of pieces, please do not get all bent out of shape because someone, such as myself, and many others, think these things are great. Anakin is silly looking from pics I've seen, and padme looks manish..
Vader, Maul, Windu< holy crap windu, Dooku? cmon! dead sexy! :D

bigbarada
08-11-2002, 05:03 PM
To clear up any misconceptions, I am not violently opposed to this line. I just haven't seen anything yet that really interests me, with the possible exception of Dooku (I'm taking a "wait until I see him on the shelf" approach) If the line (hopefully) does well, then I will keep an eye out for upcoming figures. Who knows, I might see something I like later on.

DarthBrandon
08-11-2002, 06:49 PM
I'm with BigB on this, if I see something I like I'll buy it, but I won't buy anything just for the sake of having it. I have to like it first; I do this with all S.W. items at hand. Don't like it enough, then I won't buy it, that doesn't mean I don't like the line itself, it just means I'm picky.:D

Darth forb1us
08-11-2002, 08:07 PM
fear not bigbarada, it was not you I was referring to :)
What you say is a good way of putting into words - how you stand, and I respect that. It's another name, one that I will keep hush hush :) (N-2PF) lol

Thumb Wars
08-11-2002, 08:28 PM
i for one really like this line and i cannot wait to get the Darth Vader and Count Dooku ones. I have Jango and Maul right now. heck, even Padme' looks good. the only problem that i have with the Unleashed line is the price. $15 is a bit steep on a limited income, but is a lot better then the cost of a bust!!!

Nebulaz
08-12-2002, 12:49 AM
again, i like the attention to detail, and even tho they dont protray a certain situation in the movies they give an honest awesome pose of the coolest characters.

N-2PF
08-12-2002, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Darth forb1us
...(N-2PF) lol
You asked for it!

Originally posted by Darth forb1us
Every 12" (not including the new ones, dooku, ki-adi, etc) are STUPID LOOKING
It's vice versa. Take a look at unleashed Jango. And judge yourself:
Compare the lenghts of his arms to his legs. Compare the size of the forehead that fit in his helmet. Who is the stupid looking Ape?

RooJay
08-12-2002, 12:29 PM
Were you to find a photo of the actor with his head in the same position as the Unleashed figure, you'd find a much better fit without any distortion. Good call on the legs though!

Also, most of the 12 inch line have the heads the size of which would've caused death in infancy if they were real people. They also tend to have arms that extend only down to their waist, whereas most human beings have arms that extend to just below the top of the thigh. If'n ya wanna get all proportional about it.;)

DahrJin
08-12-2002, 12:39 PM
Woah.....

You take this WAY too serious. It's a statue, not an anatomicaly correct, medical school type thing. It's for enjoying, nothing more nothing less.

For the love of Pete, it's supposed to be fun, not torn apart piece by pice, just to find something to complain about. If you want to argue proportions, why not make all lines LIFE size so you wouldn't have to worry about it. You'd have you CORRECT versions of all characters and they'd only cost some where around $4000.00 to $6000.00 each. You think price is an issue now... ;)

Herby
08-12-2002, 02:09 PM
I will say this:

I am not buying the Unleashed line for a few reasons, most of them limited funding. I chose to get the Playskool stuff instead. The Mace and Dooku look amazing. I just saw Amidala and Anakin today, they are both pretty nifty. I hate the Jango, mostly cause of Boba. Maul is actually pretty cool. I think the packaging stinks, but allowing them to hang rather than sit there (like the Epic Force) is a smart move.

They are, however, much better than the horrible 12" line. It started bad and has been consistently bad with only a few exceptions. I just saw Mace 12" for the first time today and it is the ugliest thing I've ever seen. It made me wonder why people complained so much about the facial expression on the 3.75" version!

DahrJin
08-12-2002, 04:05 PM
Why is it, that everyone is seeing the newer Unleashed, except me? :D

I only NEED the Vader, and will try to pick up the rest if funds permit.

Whoa! My wife is right, I am a full blown Star Wars Junkie! :D

stormie
08-12-2002, 04:06 PM
One of my reasons for not buying the Unleashed line was going to be "I don't want to start collecting another different line," but I've started with the PlaySkool line, so that argument is dead. ;)

I guess I don't like this line for the following opinion-based reasons:

I think they're too big.
I don't like the style of the scuplting (like McFarlane stuff).
They're more like statues than toys. And, though I don't really "play" with toys anymore (boo-hoo to growing up), I just like stuff that has play value.

If this line ever produced a Stormtrooper, however, I'd surely buy it! ;) :D

OriginalBryGuy
08-12-2002, 04:11 PM
I'm still with ya DahrJin, I enjoy the 'Unleashed' line and think it has a big future if they can get some good characters out.

As said before, I'm still waiting for Yoda Unleashed. Then you could put it next to Dooku Unleashed and well, you can't get much cooler then that.

DahrJin
08-12-2002, 04:17 PM
OBG, that would indeed look sweet.

I'm still waiting to see just how Hasbro handles this line. The possibilities are endless, but we all know how Hasbro can turn a good thing bad in no time flat. Let's hope this line has some staying power........

Just imagine having the long awaited Vader choking Antilies scene, only bigger than 3 3/4". Now I'd pay extra to have that one.

Darth forb1us
08-12-2002, 04:27 PM

It's vice versa. Take a look at unleashed Jango.

Well I cut the matter on how I like the Jango fett 12".
however you ridicule a single figure from one line (unleashed) and say a line that has every human thus far terribly messed up?!
Obi-Wan: looks TERRIBLE
Mace Windu: someone giving him some [censored] ??? whats with the grin!
Anakin: wow, you can see the likeness in him.. excellant 12" figure! (sarcasm, in case you cannot figure that one out)
The clone troopers look good. Very hard to screw that up....

Please, if you are going to rant, and kick your feet about, plus post a picture of a terrible looking unleashed, please post how "well" the 12 inchers look.. thanks.

I do not like the boba in the Jango unleashed, it could have been done 100% better, but oh well, its still a nice piece.

Unleashed maul looks pretty good to
Vader, Dooku, Windu look great! anakin and padme- especially leave something to be desired...

hmmmm Ki-adi and Dooku look good 12" .. Zam has an enormous head....

ending this rant..
Compared to how the majority of ther 12" look, versus the majority of the Unleashed line. I personally feel the unleashed has the upper hand. In fact, I was thinking of returning obi-wan, anakin and mace 12" get $60 back for something more eye appealing...

Oh, and I really like the style of the sculpts, a big plus for me, being a fan of the style.
Plus these are for opening, so I disregard the "not so good" packaging.
Maul for instance, looks much much better, on the shelf in the pose, then he does in the package. Boba really ruins the one piece though.. but its still nice in my opinion. cant wait for the rest of unleashed, 12"... Im not holding my breath (well, I am for a 12" scaled yoda :D )
Oh and now that I remember, The 12" Superbattle Droid looks great to!

- point, both lines have their strong points, but for me, and my tastes, Im leaning to the unleashed

/end rant